• Published 14th Jul 2014
  • 13,133 Views, 559 Comments

My Life as a Changling - rainbowPOOTIS



Die, wake up as a some kind of changeling variant, and have to deal with ponys.

  • ...
58
 559
 13,133

A breath of freash air... and fire.

The next day
*Shinkiro*

‘So, how did you suddenly appear in my shadow, when you weren't there before, and scare my food?’

”Yes, I found one loophole in my binds that let me out, but it’s limited. I might be able to stretch it over time allowing me more freedom for a longer time, though.”

‘What do you mean by limited?’

”You saw it yourself, a pair of eye and mouth is all I can do, for now.”

‘What else have you discovered about your bindings?’

”I found that method that you used to bind me was not entirely complete, another reason for there being a loophole, there are loose ends as well.” A small blue fire sprouted up in my shadow that I didn’t cause. ”But still, they don’t seem to be useless. They don’t help in binding me, but I wonder what else they’re good for.” She said in a sarcastic way, I saw why when a fiery blue chain came launching out of the fire on the ground until it latched onto the ceiling.

‘So, what good are they then?’ I replied with equal sarcasm.

”Tch” The chain retracted back into the small fire that then snuffed out. ”It’s a weapon.”

‘You don’t say.’

”I see why the pony dislikes you. You like to grate on others nerves.”

Ignoring her, I gently nudged sugar awake, watching as she rubbed the sleep from her eyes. She rapidly backed away from me though, pointing at my shadow.

‘You’re scaring her.’

”I’m not even doing anything.” She rolled her eyes at Sugar.

‘could you please do something to get her to stop cowering?’

”Fine” Her eye’s disappeared from sight. She just… closed them, didn’t she?

“Its safe now.” I tried to comfort the distraught mare, who looked at my shadow, and released a long, shuddering sigh upon seeing that Nightmare Moon was no longer there. “Considering we’re in the middle of a forest, and all the restrictions I’ve placed on you, I think I can take you outside.”

“I get to see the sun again?”

“Yes, but you’ll have to stay close to me.”

“Yay.” She blurted in an almost Fluttershy like fashion, before she started jumping up and down, repeating ‘I get to see the sun.’ again and again.

“Easy there. Satō, you are exempt from the compulsion to remain in the trailer for the duration of our outing, but you are required to stay within… six meters of me. Oh, and don’t run off and hide either.” I didn’t even have time to blink as she tackle hugged me, almost causing me to lose my balance, before I coaxed her off me. “Now then, why don’t you follow me?”


*later, outside*
*Sugars POV*

It felt so wonderful to have the sun shining down on me again, warming my coat after being locked up for... Who knows how long I was kept in a perpetual state of paralysis before Shinkiro let me wander around the trailer. It felt so good to stretch my legs, and feel the earth and grass beneath my hooves. Even if I couldn't stray that far from her, just being able to see the outside world again made me feel happy. It was somewhat unsettling to watch her out here though. She never made a sound walking… just the way she moved out here seemed to set off alarm bells in my head. It was like the only reason I could see her lurking in the foliage was because she wanted to be seen. It was like she was a predator, and I suppose she is.

I had spent the first few minutes just running in circles, feeling the wind against my face, and it was glorious. Trotting through the trees, I watched the light filter through the leaves. After spending who knows how long in captivity, everything seemed more vibrant. The two nymphs had been brought along to, and where following behind me, making several adorable chirping noises. The four of us eventually reached a pond, where I took the opportunity to sit down on a large flat rock and catch my breath. The two nymphs were tumbling about, Occasionally pinning the other nymph, before letting them get back up and resuming their roughhousing. Peeko was usually the one to pin Pigment due to her superior size, but Pigment did manage to pin Peeko once or twice. The whole time, I could just barely make out Shinkiro lurking in one of the bushes, her eyes either on me, the nymphs, or just looking around.

I felt something pulling on my tail, and looked to see Peeko, a frightened expression on her face. “Mama say trouble.” She pulled on my tail again, harder this time. I picked the nymph up, and looked around for the other one. Peeko just pointed towards a hollow log. I took her advice. after all, she had somehow tracked me down after I had knocked out Shinkiro and stuffed her in a walk in freezer. I was surprised when my body didn’t lock up and make me march in the direction of Shinkiro though. When I looked behind me, I saw Shinkiro leaping out of the bush at something, before there was a bright flash of magic, and somepony crash landing in the clearing. It looked like a… cross between a pony and a dragon. While I was busy staring, Peeko climbed off me and into the log.

The dragon-pony got back up, looking around, before spotting Shinkiro, who had placed herself between us and the dragon-pony. She was hunched over ready to pounce, wings spread, tail in the air, and hissing, fangs bared.

The dragon-pony didn’t seem the least bit intimidated by her. “Your description matches the file. Creature, you’re wanted for murder, now we can do this easily or do this the fun way.” What I was expecting was for her to taunt it back or something, not launch herself at it with a screech, and attempt to body check it with her larger frame, only for it to sidestep the charge and trip her. “Good, I was hoping for a fight.” She rolled right back onto her hooves and pounced at it, making another screeching noise.

Before she could even get close to him, flaming blue chains came out of her shadow and snaked around her neck and barrel, bringing her to the ground. ”You said you were violent, not a wild animal. This is pathetic. Use your magic, not brute force.” The eyes of that thing in Shins shadow were back and looking at her with disappointment. It seemed to snap her out of whatever berserker trance she was in, causing her to smirk ferally. Then she vanished. The dragon-pony randomly lashed out, and I heard the sound of its hoof striking something, before Shinkiro appeared out of thin air, having taken the hit directly to the face.

A few drops of her sickly yellow blood dripped from her nose. “Worthless.” The dragon-pony drew his sword now.

Shin wiped the blood away and charged him. She’s going to kill herself! When she closed in he swung at her but more chains come up from her shadow to her raised hoof, using it to block his sword. Shin took the chance to hit him square in the face, and then brought her tail down on his head for good measure. He was sent flying, but quickly recovered from the hit. She charged at him again but instead of swinging at her like he did last time, he thrust forward. The chains appeared again but it didn’t go to her hoof this time, this time it struck him directly as Shin dodged him.

Several more chains sprouted up from her shadow, which was now under him, and latched onto his hooves and neck. Shin said “Drop it.” and he was electrified by the chains. He didn’t drop his sword and got electrified again, and then a third time before he dropped his sword. “Good boy.” He turned to look at her and opened his mouth probably to retort but didn’t say anything.

A gout of fire abruptly erupted from his mouth, he really is a dragon-pony! Shin jerked away from him and he just got dragged along by the chains. Shin’s mane was shinged, and she looked confused for just a second before her face changed to that of anger. “You shouldn’t underestimate your opponent!” He looked ready to breath more fire, but Shin grabbed his sword and jammed it into his leg. His fire breath-scream went up into the air instead of at her, causing Shin to smile sadistically, before he was cut off mid yell by the chain tightening around his neck. His face slowly turned from green to blue as he was deprived of oxygen.

He stopped moving and Shin loosened the chains. One tiny flame escaped from it holding as Shin let all the flaming blue chains retract back into her shadow. The things eyes having long since disappeared. Shin walked back away from him, towards the edge of the clearing where we were. “Lets go, before he wakes up.”

“O-ok.” I stuttered. Now very aware of how strong she was and why I probably shouldn’t antagonize her anymore. With the dragon-pony thing dealt with, the nymphs crawled out of the hollow log I was hiding behind, looking rather frightened.


*Shinkiro*

As i trotted back to the trailer with Sugar and the nymphs in tow, I couldn't help but ask the spirit I had bound to me a single question. ‘What did you do to snap me out of that instinct driven rage?’

”I have found a total of seven loose ends from my binding so far, I used two of them on you to keep your ‘instincts’ in check.”

‘Thanks for that by the way.’

”You may not wish to thank me. I attached those two ends to you, I’m now down to five loose ends.”

‘Attached? Care to elaborate?’

”Exactly that, when I used them to stop you they attached to you. It would seem that if I use them on you they stay there, unlike how I used them against the kirin. You won’t have to worry about your instinct taking over now, but now you’ll need to be more cognizant about things you normally wouldn’t need to think about.”

‘Not everything in life is free. I can always perform it manually enough times that it becomes muscle memory.’

”Most of it likely already is.”

I could feel my stomach growl, signifying I would need to feed soon. Sugar groaned upon hearing that, before sighing. “Can you at least wait until we get back to the trailer?” I turned my head to answer her, and noticed a very faint blush.

“Yes, besides, I’d rather not have to carry you back after I finish.”

”I am somewhat curious to see this. You mentioned you were an emotivore and I have noticed you magic does not regenerate as it should, but instead steadily decreases...” Sugar froze mid stride, pointing at my shadow with a look of terror on her face.

“Sugar, just calm down. She’s not going to hurt you.” I kept walking, until she began following again, albit rather stiffly, forced to due to the command I had put her under to stay close to me. I did appreciate that technicality with the nymphs and the hivemind making my children considered an extension of me by that command, as it allowed Sugar to get out of harm's way though. I took a moment to mentally address the Nightmare. ‘Thats because I use that magic to keep myself alive as well. Last time I nearly ran empty I almost wound up sucking Trixie dry of her emotions.’

”You could do such? Clearly it is not permanent.”

‘I’d rather not know what happens if I take it all, I’ve noticed that the less I take at once the faster they come back. Of course, emotional stimulus helps as well.’

”That is concerning that you do not know, and it’s relieving that you have not needed to find out.”

‘On the bright side, sucking enough emotion out of them to temporarily leave them emotionless helps immensely with setting the ground rules for ponies I capture for food. Its so much easier to explain to them that I’m not going to eat them when they're not panicking.’

I chuckled and came to a stop momentarily as I noticed Peeko eyeing my shadow with interest. The moment I stopped, she started poking it. Immediately Nightmares eyes flew open. ”What do you want?” Peeko started giggling, I got the feeling Nightmare raised an eyebrow at her but I couldn’t tell.

“Hi Hidy!” She waved at the Nightmare, an adorable grin on her face.

”Hidy?” Peeko nodded, still grinning.

‘I think she’s referring to the fact that you ‘hide’ in my shadow.’

”Cute.” With that Nightmare closed her eyes again and hid.

Well ain’t she a bundle of joy today...