• Published 14th Jul 2014
  • 13,058 Views, 559 Comments

My Life as a Changling - rainbowPOOTIS



Die, wake up as a some kind of changeling variant, and have to deal with ponys.

  • ...
58
 559
 13,058

At Least I Have Chicken...

My aching everything...

It feels like my spine got ripped out my ass, had a railroad spike driven into my forehead, and had parts of my skeleton and internal organs rearranged and/or removed.

But then again, I should feel like that after getting hit by a car at 70 miles an hour.

Wait, feel?

If I'm feeling this, then I'm not dead, if I'm not dead, then why am I not a bloody mess and screaming in pain?

I opened my eyes, only to see a shroud of neon blue. After blowing to my face to clear it up, I was greeted to a shocking sight: Trees, trees everywhere. Back-dropped by the setting sun.

Well nuck fuggets, I've seen enough HiE's to know this is going. Also I apparently have neon blue hair, totally awesome.

Soooo... Did I turn into a pony, or am I still myself?

Moving my forelimb into my field of vision i was greeted to...

Black.

Cheese.

Changelings it is then.

That still doesn't explain why my rear feels so heavy.

Looking behind me, I turn to see...

A giant stinger.

Well shit, not even five minutes in Equestria, and I'm already going to die.

...

I open my eyes again, only to see the stinger still hovering there. So, if it's not a manticore's, then who's tail is that?

I do a double take and notice that it's connected to my flank.

Yep, it's mine. Screw logic... Because ponies.

Looking further down my back, I notice that my wings are also different from a normal changeling's, while a normal changelings wings look like a fly or mosquito's, mine looked like a beetles, complete with one set being essentially an armored covering running from my shoulders to my rear, for the other pair. Wiggling the inner pair around, I discovered their was actually a large bubble of space running down the center of my back, presumably for my tail to fit in while i was disguised as somepony else.

That probably means that while I wont be very maneuverable in the air, I will be well defended on the ground.

Feeling around in my mouth, I also realize that I have rather sharp fangs, as well as numerous other teeth, ranging from ones meant for grinding, to crushing, to tearing, to shredding. It makes sense if you think about it, a changeling would need to be able to eat the same kind of food as whatever or whoever their disguised as to maintain the deception. Plus I probably look terrifying when I grin.

Now then, standing, standing is important. Just treat it like your walking on your hands and knees.

After standing up and pacing around for a bit, I noticed something, walking made no sounds.

So THATS what the holes are for...

Now first thing was first, I had to get used to five extra limbs, on top of now being a insect-pony hybrid...

The tail isn't too difficult, it flexes in a way reminiscent a persons arm. Its the wings that are a problem... And that goddamn blue stuff is in my face again! I try to swat it away when the feeling of it makes me realize its my hair/mane.

Heh... Anime hair...

"Cool."

Oh, so that's what I sound like? Nice. Gruff, dual-toned, and cold.

Sweet Faust that sounded awesome!

After about five minutes walking in a random direction, I caught a wiff of something.

Blood...

Which meant either one of two things; either there was an injured pony, which meant I could get directions to the nearest town, as well as give myself a good reputation by saving their flank, or injured wildlife, which meant FOOD!

Wait, why am i thinking that? I thought changelings only fed off love?

"HELLLP!"

Okay definitely ponies, save them now, question biology later.

Trotting as fast as I could without falling over, the scent and scream led me to a 10-foot drop, and what was at the bottom, made my heart stop cold.

Scootaloo, cornered by a trio of timberwolves.

Screw stealth, even if I'm a changeling, I still have morals dammit!

Leaping down I was shocked to see one of the wolves leap at Scoots...

"INCOMING!" *CRA-SLAM!* And promptly got thrown to the ground by my impact with its face. With it stunned, I reared up and brought my forhooves down on it's head at full force, crushing it. and spraying tree sap everywhere.

Moving to put myself in between Scootaloo and the other two timberwolves, I glanced at my tail, then to Scootaloo, and then to the groove in my back. My tail was larger then the filly... Ideaaaa!

"Get in if you want to live." Scootaloo complied, more then likely in to much shock to question it. flipping my wings shut again, Scootaloo was snugly embraced in the groove, protected by my wing coverings, and just in time too, as I was promptly slammed to the ground by the smaller of the two remaining timberwolves, who had flanked me during my exchange with the filly.

Luckily, before it could pry the coverings apart, I managed to get my tail under it and flicked it off into the rocky wall of the drop, stunning it.

Only for the larger one to pounce right in my face. Now considering I didn't have the time to try aiming my tail, and didn't want to accidentally skewer my head, I did the first thing that came to mind. I let instinct take over.

I ducked and sprang up, intercepting the wolf and sending us crashing into the ground, with the wolf pinning me down. What I did next, I was glad Scootaloo wasn't able to see. I feinted the wolf into trying to tear out my throat, before letting out a feral snarl and chomping down on where the wolfs would have been. I was rewarded with a strangled yelp. Apparently even wooden constructs need to breath, whoda thought?

Regardless, I closed my eyes preparing for the inevitable spray of sap, and ripped its neck open, getting showered in said sap in the process. frankly, it didn't taste anywhere near as bad as I thought, instead, it tasted like a cross between celery and beef jerky, smothered in maple syrup... And then I accidentally swallowed...

Well... Shit... I'll have to worry about that after I finish off the third one. shaking the sap out of my eyes, I turned and was greeted to the third timberwolf finally getting back up, before it turned towards me and let out what could only be described as a cross between a bark, and a roar. Still running on instinct, I took it as a challenge, and feeling a fiery sensation in my throat, voiced my displeasure. The final timberwolf let out a whimper, before bolting with its tail between its legs.

"I-i-is it o-over?" I could barely hear Scootaloo's whimpers from under my wing plates. Opening them, I angled my head to face her.

"Yeah it's over, but it's not pretty..." Kneeling and allowing her to hop off, I took in the carnage I had caused. Frankly, I'm surprised by the fact that those things never managed to puncture my chitin. I'm so gonna need a bath after this though, I'm covered in tree sap.

"You okay there little one?" Getting a better look at her, I noticed she was covered in a lot of cuts, bruises and dirt, but nothing was severely bleeding. She nodded her head.

"Not the worst that's happened to me, that would the time me and the Crusaders tried for Cutie Marks in cooking." I tilt my head in interest. She shakes her head. "We do not talk about the Cutie Mark Crusader Chefs incident..."

"Hey Twi, I think it came from this way!" It's about damn time, isn't it?

Turning back to Scoots, I bid my farewells. "Nice meeting you kid, names Shinkirō for future reference, and now I'm gone like one!" Before bolting off deeper into the woods.


*Third-person, about five minutes ago*

Dash was panicking, after Applebloom and Sweetie Belle had come running screaming that they had gotten separated from Scootaloo while fleeing from a trio of timberwolves. Considering how urgent was, she didn't have time to rouse Fluttershy or Pinkie, so she told the duo to go wait with Applejack and Rarity, while she bolted off to get Twilight.

Upon reaching the Golden Oaks Library, Rainbow saw Twilight up on her observation deck, waiting for the sun to set so she could begin stargazing. That would have to wait. Dash flew up there and landed in front of Twilight. "Rainbow? What are yo-"

"Scootaloo, Everfree, timberwolves, danger, no time to explain, we need to go NOW!" Twilight could clearly hear the panic in Rainbows voice, and immediately teleported to street level, before her and Dash rushed towards the Everfree.

Upon reaching the entrance to the forest, a cry rang out. "HELLLP!" This spurred them to run even faster, upon reaching a ten foot drop, they where greeted to roar that stuck more fear in them then any dragon's ever could.

"What in the name of Celestia was THAT!?" they said in perfect unison, unable to hear each other over the ringing in their ears. After the ringing in their ears had died down, they overheard Scootaloo talking.

"We do not talk about the Cutie Mark Crusader Chefs incident..."

"Hey Twi, I think it came from this way!" Dash pointed down the drop. Before she she could fly down however, she heard a second voice.

"Nice meeting you kid, names Shinkirō for future reference, and now I'm gone like one!" Dash, upon flying down, was unable to find the owner of the second voice, before she took notice of the two dead timberwolves.

"Uhhh... Twi? You might want to come see this..." With a flash of lavender, Twilight teleported down, and gasped in shock. Scootaloo was standing there, a stupefied expression on her face, in the middle of two dead timberwolves.

"Scootaloo you're okay... But what the buck happened here?!?" One of the timberwolves lay twitching, its head crushed beyond all recognition, while the other looked perfectly fine, until Twilight flipped it over with her magic, and discover a huge chunk of its throat had been torn out. "what in Luna's mane could have done this?"

"It was some weird pony-bug thing. It lept off that drop you two came down, and landed on one of the timberwolves, before crushing its head. As for the other two, I have no clue how it took them out." Scootaloo had finaly spoken, but her voice was flat and emotionless.

Dash turned to face Twilight. "Why is she so calm about this?"

"I think she's still in shock." turning back to Scootaloo, Twilight voiced her curiosity. "What did this, 'bug-pony' look like?"

Scootaloo continued, practically on autopilot. "It was about the size of one of the Princesses, had beetle like wings, had a tail that should have been on a manticore, and its hooves and horn were full of holes."

Twilight looked both worried and intrigued. "How exactly, did it protect you from the other one?"

"It had me crawl into the space between its wing coverings and its back, before closing them. It was pitch black in there, and everything sounded incredibly quite. I got jostled around a bit, but nothing serious happened to me."

"It almost sounds, intelligent..." Twilight was quite interested at this point. She picked up the more intact of the two timberwolves, and motioned for Dash and scootaloo to follow her back to Ponyville.

Upon reaching the edge of the forest, Twilight stopped and turned to her compatriots. "You two go on ahead, I need to get Fluttershy to give me an idea of what could possibly match Scootaloo's description.


*first person, Shinkirō*

Well, judging from Scootaloos reaction, this was before the wedding and invasion, meaning that they don't know what a changeling is yet.

After waiting a few moments to make sure the ponies had truly left, I exited the bush I had been hiding in, and walked up to the ledge I had jumped from to save Scoots. "Now how the cheese am I supposed to get back up their?" Yeah, I wasn't stupid enough to try flying, as the last thing I wanted was to incapacitate myself in an accident, and leave myself at the mercy of a predator. "Climbing it is..." Now apparently, changelings have a really good grip, as I was having no problem climbing up the near vertical slope, that is, until a rock broke loose under my rear hooves. "Shi- Omph!" Dafuq? why aren't I sliding back down?

It was about this time that I realized that my forhooves felt like they had claws digging into the wall. looking at them, I noticed nothing different about them. Trying to 'let go' with one of them, it immediately slid off and left me hanging my a single limb. "Ow ow ow owww." I swiftly swung my other forhoof back up, and 'grabbed' the wall, relieving some of the pain.

wait, how the fuck do i grab something with a hoof? then it hit me. "Derp, changelings can walk on walls and shit!" Continuing the process of 'letting go' before swinging a limb up and 'grabbing' the wall again, I quickly reached the top.

About the time I managed to climb over the top, the adrenalin from fighting the timberwolves had worn off, and I gave into the growing urge to sleep.

Author's Note:

Shinkirō -> Mirage

Also yes, I'm rewriting this fic, I've improved my writing skills somewhat.