• Published 19th Jul 2015
  • 16,255 Views, 1,193 Comments

How To Ponify Your Dragon - Onomonopia



Berkians meet Equestrians. With 90% more dragons.

  • ...
71
 1,193
 16,255

Burning Down the Town

"Argh, how can that dragon be so darn fast?!" Twilight growled while she held a hoof over her eyes, blocking out the sun as she scanned the skies to where Toothless had flown off. Twilight was standing next to Fluttershy and Rarity in the middle of Ponyville, having gone to look for the human when he didn't come back. "I thought that Hiccup was just going to take a walk or something, not fly off on his dragon to Faust knows where!"

"Well if I had a dragon, I know I would enjoy flying on its back," Fluttershy stated meekly, but her words fell on deaf ears as Twilight conjured a seeking spell to locate the dragon. A violet arrow appeared in the air before Twilight, yet she raised an eyebrow in confusion.

"Strange, according to my spell there's a dragon on its way here right now. Huh, Hiccup must be coming back," Twilight muttered with a shrug as she canceled the spell. "Still, never thought that the dragon master that I brought to our land would be so...technologically inferior. Normally when I read about humans or examine their technology, while not magical, it is still pretty advanced."

"How do you know that Hiccup's isn't darling?" Rarity asked with a coy smile. "Have you been examining him closely?"

"Look at his outfit and what's on it," Twilight explained, completely missing Rarity's hint. "Basic armor, parchment that looks like it belongs in the medieval era; all sorts of old fashion items. I always thought that all human realities were more advanced. I'll have to make an addition to the book on humans when I find it again."

"So Twilight dear, what are your first impressions of our human friend," Rarity asked. "He seems to be quite the curious human and was very interested in Spike."

"Well, if the dragons in his world don't talk, then I'm not surprised that he took an interest in Spike," Twilight analyzed. "But some of those dragons within his book really interested me. While he may not look the part, it's clear that he has dealt with many different species of dragons. Hopefully that will be enough to..."

"Um, Twilight? Are the pegasi supposed to create a thunderstorm today?" Fluttershy asked from beside Rarity and Twilight, interrupting them while drawing their attention to the sky. Black clouds had rolled in, covering the land in darkness, yet the clouds had hints of red burning within them. Twilight narrowed her eyes at the clouds before she began to flap her wings, ascending into the clouds to see what was causing them.

"Strange, there are no pegasi moving these clouds," she muttered to herself as she began to scan the clouds with her magic, finding to her surprise that they were being moved by a strange magic that she had only sensed once before. 'Wait a moment, this magic feels like...oh no.' An earth shaking roar assaulted her ears while informing her that she was not alone in the clouds. The Princess of Friendship spun around to see a massive blue dragon with crimson eyes flying right at her, maw alight with crimson flames that licked the edges of its mouth hungrily.

A flap of its mighty wings nearly blew Twilight out of the sky, yet with the power of the alicorns she managed to stop her descent and turn to face the massive monster, which was glaring at her with eyes beyond all reason. "Halt dragon! By order of the princesses I-" Twilight's words and nearly the princess herself were consumed in a torrent of fire that bellowed from the dragon's mouth, turning the clouds a raging red as the fire ignited the air around her.

Twilight created a barrier to shield herself from the burning fire, yet even with the magic protecting her she could still feel the waves of the intense heat as the fire scorched the air around her. The dragon let loose a roar of fury before it dove down through the clouds towards the village below.

"No you don't!" Twilight ordered as she dove down after the typhoon of death, firing bolts of magics through the blackened clouds in an attempt to slow the beast down. Yet either her spells weren't affecting the dragon or it no longer felt pain, for even when one of the spells struck the dragon in the eye it continued down without pausing for a moment.

In one last desperate attempt to stop the dragon, Twilight twirled her horn while drawing a line of magic in the air, a line that became a lasso a moment later. While her skills with a lasso weren't as great as Applejack's, she managed to whip the magical line around the dragon's throat and pulled it tight. "You aren't getting Ponyville! Not while I'm still alive!"

All of Twilight's courage died in her throat after uttering those words, for in the next moment the dragon slowly turned to face her with a malicious smile upon its face, taking her words to heart. With teeth that could shred diamonds, the dragon tore through Twilight's line before aiming those same fangs at the unicorn, who would have been shredded to pieces if she hadn't teleported out of the way.

"I've got to stop you!" Twilight roared as she reappeared behind the dragon, taking aim at the back of its head with perfect precision. But with her focus locked onto bringing the dragon down in one shot, she never noticed the bringer of flame whip its tail towards her. A ton of scale and muscle slammed into the side of Twilight's body, striking her out of the air with one mighty blow.

'Can't...fail here...got to...save everypony,' Twilight weakly thought as she fell, but her world got infinitely hotter and she looked up to see the dragon barreling towards her, maw opened wide as hellfire itself burned in its jaws. Twilight tried to summon the concentration to deflect the flames, but she found it was too late as flames burst forth from the dragon and consumed the area around her.

But instead of hearing the sounds of death and fire, all Twilight could hear was a loud scream-like sound that was getting louder and louder. She closed her eyes as the fire prepared to consume her body and soul...only for the heat to go away a second later. She slowly cracked one eye open to see the smiling face of Hiccup looking down at her. Both her eyes snapped open and she looked around to find that she had been tucked into the crook of Hiccup's arm while Toothless flew them out of the fire that illuminated the sky.

"Hello there, Princess. I see that your dragon problem is back," Hiccup said with a dorky grin that caused Twilight to blush slightly.

"Yeah...yeah, this dragon just showed up out of nowhere," Twilight informed Hiccup as she shook her head while breaking free of his grip, relocating herself behind Hiccup while coughing once.

"Yeah, seems you've got a class A Stoker on your hands...hooves. What I'm saying is, this is one heck of a fire breather and might take some effort to bring down," Hiccup said with a serious tone, observing the blue dragon as it bellowed at the Night Fury and tore through the skies to get to them. 'It's somewhat fast, but seems to be a bulkier Stoker with increased fire power instead of speed. We can deal with that, but the problem will be quenching its fire before it sets the town below on fire. Could really use some of Thor's magic right about...magic...'

"Twilight, can you make water with your magic? We need to extinguish that guy's fire before he sets the whole place ablaze!" Hiccup called out over his shoulder to the unicorn, whose eyebrows furrowed for a second before she shook her head.

"I can create water, but not enough to stop that much raw fire...but if I gather the other pegasi we might be able to create a rainstorm over the dragon!" she exclaimed.

"Alright, you go do that then," Hiccup instructed as Toothless turned back towards the dragon, letting out the roar of an Alpha as he began to pick up speed.

"Wait, what are you going to do?" Hiccup turned back to look at Twilight with a quick wink before facing the rapidly approaching dragon with a serious expression.

"What I do best, Princess," Hiccup said as he reached behind him and pulled out his helmet, sliding it over his face with a smile. "Stopping those who hurt others." Twilight fell off of Toothless' side right before dragon and rider shot ahead at incredible speeds, Hiccup nearly laying down flat upon Toothless' back to provide as little wind resistance as possible. The blue dragon erupted with fire that torched the skies around the two, but with a majestic roll that no Equestrian dragon could replicate, Toothless swiftly avoided the flames.

"Alright, Bud, time to show this dragon why you're the Alpha," Hiccup instructed. Toothless let out a roar of agreement before blasting out a shot of blue fire that exploded against the side of their foe's face. The dragon roared with rage as the fire and smoke blinded it momentarily, allowing Toothless and Hiccup to circle around behind the dragon with ease.

"Fire!" Another bolt of blue fire struck the dragon in the back, getting the mighty beast to roar in fury as it blindly spun and lashed out with lethal claws. Yet it only struck air as Toothless folded in his wings and dove through the razor's edge, slipping right under the dragon's arm before rocketing out on the other side without a scratch.

"Man, I don't recall ever seeing a dragon this big back on Berk, aside from the Alpha," Hiccup muttered as he turned his gaze back towards the dragon that roared with fury, placing it above the Nightmare in terms of size and strength. It belched a roaring inferno into the sky in hopes of torching the dragon that assaulted it, but with his speed Toothless was more than able to avoid the raging flames. "And those flames could be a real problem. Hopefully Twilight's plan works or else we might end up toast."

Toothless let out a roar before trying to motion to Hiccup, getting the rider's attention as he looked down at his friend. "What's the matter Bud? You...sense something strange with the dragon?" Toothless let out another roar with a shake of his head before moving his head towards the beast's eyes. Hiccup narrowed his own eyes as the two tore past the dragon, noticing that the eyes were an unnatural crimson that looked unusual even for a dragon. Yet, he recognized all to well the slit-like pupils that filled the dragon's crimson eyes and knew what those eyes meant.

"It's under somebody's control," Hiccup informed Toothless, who growled angrily with a shake of his head as memories of being mind controlled surfaced again. "That means this just got harder. If this dragon isn't in control of itself, we need to bring it down without hurting it. Come on, Bud, let's keep its attention on us!"

Toothless dove back down towards the dragon once again, shrieking through the sky as he built up more and more speed. Practically a blur at this point, he opened his jaw wide to shoot another bolt of blue flame into the side of the dragon, gaining its attention while getting it to roar with fury. Hiccup looked back at the dragon to confirm that it was following them before looking up to see a number of thunderstorm clouds growing off in the distance. He squinted when he thought he saw shapes zipping in and out of the clouds, with a smile crossing his face when he realized those were pegasi moving the clouds.

'They can move clouds? Weird, but works out well for us,' Hiccup mused before patting Toothless on the head. "Alright Bud, I'm going to need you to lure that dragon into those clouds. Think you can outrace a lightning bolt if needed?"

Toothless' fearless roar answered for him and with a few flaps of his wings the Night Fury shot into the thundering clouds, with the blue dragon now covered in flames billowing in after them. It came to a stop in the center of the clouds with a roar, turning left and right as it sought out its foes. Rain began to pour down upon the dragon, extinguishing the flames that had burned along its scales, but the beast didn't notice for it was far too focused.

A shriek of speed and a blast to the back of the head gave away Toothless' position, but when the dragon spun around all it saw was the dark clouds. Another shriek of speed roared behind it and the dragon spun to unleash its fire, yet only cloud felt the diminished flame of the dragon. Again and again it heard the Night Fury speed by it, but by the time it unleashed its fire the dragon was long gone.

With a mighty bellow of rage it lifted its head back with maw open wide, taking in both air and rain water as it prepared to burn the entire sky down if it needed to. Then, out of the corner of its eye, it saw the black form of the Night Fury and spun to face the dragon, throwing its head forward while unleashing all of its hellfire upon its foe.

At least, that was what it wanted to do.

But after having swallowed so much rain water, the flames within its stomach had been quelled for the time being, resulting in only a small puff of smoke blowing out of its nostrils. It roared with fury as it tried again and again to unleash its fire, but it couldn't even muster up enough flame to create smoke, let alone the fire it wished for.

"Alright Twilight, NOW!" Hiccup's roar was quickly drowned out by a flash of purple lightning that cracked across the sky and struck the dragon in the back. The beast roared with pain as the lightning coursed through its bones, the sheer fury of the lightning making even the mighty dragon succumb to its power. The dragon let out a weak growl before it began to fall to the ground, where it was caught in a net of purple magic right before it struck.

"Seems the plan worked," Twilight said to Hiccup as she floated down beside the Night Fury, both of them landing in the fields outside of Ponyville while Twilight dropped the dragon on the ground before them. She ceased her magic before both she and Hiccup shared a look, a look that concerned the fire breathing beast. "So...what do we do with him? I mean, I can look up a counter spell to the magic that's controlling his mind, but that might take a while and I don't know if he'll stay stunned long enough to..."

Toothless began to walk forward towards the dragon, eyes locked on the red slit eyes of the blue beast that still tried to force itself back up despite the bad injury. Twilight was about to ask what he was doing before she saw that a small crowd of scared ponies had formed around them, all of them waiting with baited breath to see what would happen next.

"Don't worry Twilight, I think Toothless can help," Hiccup informed her.

The blue dragon roared with defiance as it glared at Toothless, who was many times smaller than it was, but when Toothless glared into the dragon's eyes it suddenly began to quiet down, as if intimidated by the black dragon before it. Toothless' eyes began to vibrate slightly as he glared into the crimson slits of the dragon before him, but after a few moments of glaring the crimson began to fade away and the slits slowly lengthened until they were similar to Toothless' eyes.

"W...what happened?" the dragon asked in a weak voice filled with confusion, lifting a claw to rub its head while it looked around at the ponies in confusion. "How did I get here? Where is here anyway?" Toothless stood up on his hind legs with a roar of victory, one that was followed by the cheers of Hiccup a moment later. Toothless came back down on all fours with another roar while Hiccup turned to look at Twilight, who had the most confused look upon her face.

"I don't understand. None of the magic Celestia and Luna used to break the dragons free of the magic had any effect, yet all Toothless had to do was look into the dragon's eyes and he was freed," she muttered with a small shake of her befuddled head. "How did he do it?"

"Because Toothless is like me, Twilight. He's the dragon's Alpha. And all dragons, no matter how big or how magically influenced, obey the Alpha." As the ponies began to approach the scene and Hiccup began to explain to the dragon where he was, Twilight looked upon the rider and dragon with a number of emotions. The first was confusion, the second was bafflement, but the third...the third was amazement.

'I can't deny it, but that was...impressive,' she thought to herself as she looked upon the team with a smile crossing her face, before her eyes glanced up at Hiccup, who was patting Toothless on the head. 'I got to admit that Rarity was right about you, Hiccup. I have never met another human like you. And that's not a bad thing.'