• Published 19th Jul 2015
  • 16,255 Views, 1,193 Comments

How To Ponify Your Dragon - Onomonopia



Berkians meet Equestrians. With 90% more dragons.

  • ...
71
 1,193
 16,255

Strange and Bizarre

For the longest moment, neither human, dragon nor pony moved as they all observed each other. Hiccup's first instinct was to pinch his cheek to see if he were dreaming, his logical mind telling him that he had simply crashed during the race and had passed out. Toothless, on the other hand, let out a roar that startled Twilight before lunging between her and Hiccup. With a snarl his teeth unsheathed themselves as blue fire began to well up in his stomach, getting the pony to back away with uncertainty in her eyes.

Hiccup was doing his best not to panic. One moment he had been flying through the sky, about to win another dragon race, when the next thing he knew he was in...wherever he was with a talking horse. Yet, since he spent nearly all of his days with strange and wonderful creatures, he wasn't sure if it was fear or curiosity that prevented him from hopping on Toothless and flying away. In the face of such a bizarre creature, he found that he wanted to know more.

"Hold on a moment, I need to see if I'm understanding this," Hiccup finally broke the silence as he placed a hand on Toothless' side, getting the dragon to give him a curious look before he quelled the fire in his body. "You're a horse...and you just talked?" Hiccup asked Twilight, who nodded in response. "Am I being pranked? Is Loki out there somewhere messing with me?"

"This is no prank human, I am in need of your help," Twilight explained as she took a step forward to meet the human, but once again the black dragon roared and placed himself between the two of them. Despite being cautious of the unknown dragon that looked like it wanted to kill her, Twilight saw both loyalty and the desire to protect its partner in the dragon's eyes, telling her that she had chosen wisely. "My magic is what brought you here, and it would have only done so if you were an incredible dragon master. And from the way this dragon seeks to protect you, it seems that you have trained it into your...pet...quite well?"

"Friend. He's my friend," Hiccup clarified for Twilight before he knelt down next to Toothless and scratched the scales on his head, calming him down to the point where he retracted his teeth. Hiccup then turned his eyes to Twilight with confusion. "And I'm going to need some serious answers right now. Where are we and why...how did you interrupt our race?"

"As I was saying...um...?"

"Hiccup."

"Hiccup? Er, as I was saying Hiccup, I used my magic to bring you here," Twilight stated again, but when both the dragon and the human gave her a disbelieving look she decided to be more direct. "Fine. I see that I owe you a demonstration." As she said this her horn began to glow with a strange light, one that caused both dragon and rider to open their eyes wide. In the next instant, Hiccup was slowly being lifted off of the ground, with the same light surrounding his body.

"Whoa, what's going on?" Hiccup exclaimed, slightly panicked as he struggled to keep from rotating. "Toothless, help!"

Toothless roared with fury before he hurled himself at the pony, wings extended and body glowing with a blue color as he tackled Twilight to the ground. Twilight let out a yell as her concentration broke, dropping Hiccup to the ground while she focused her magic on keeping the dragon from killing her.

Yet, in the next moment a rainbow blur appeared out of nowhere and struck Toothless in the jaw, sending him staggering back with a roar. Toothless snarled as he looked around for what had hit him, crouching low to the ground as he did so while his slit-like eyes shot in every direction. When he failed to find what had struck him, his eyes focused back on the pony who was just getting back to her hooves and he began to advance forward.

"No Toothless, that's enough," Hiccup ordered as he once again walked over to Toothless and placed a hand upon his head, shifting Toothless' slit eyes back into more round ones as Hiccup began to scratch the dragon's scales. While he did this, Twilight watched every movement and interaction before she began to look over the pair herself. She was interested in the black leathery armor that Hiccup wore, yet her attention was immediately drawn from the armor to Hiccup's foot...or lack thereof.

"Yeah, when you work with dragons you sometimes lose limbs," Hiccup spoke aloud as he followed her gaze, holding out the peg leg with a smile. "I lost this in a giant inferno that I only survived because of this guy here. He's very protective of me. So I would recommend that you don't try anything like what you just did."

"I apologize, I was simply trying to show you that I speak the truth," Twilight muttered with a slight bow of her head, yet when she looked up she found that both Toothless and Hiccup were looking away from her and towards one of the trees that surrounded the area. "The rest of you might as well come out. I think Rainbow gave away the fact that you're here."

Hiccup felt Toothless' wing wrap around him tightly as four more ponies of varying sizes and colors appeared from behind the trees, subconsciously gripping the hilt of his blade as they got closer. As the four joined Twilight, Hiccup looked into each of their eyes with a curiosity and caution that he found reflected back at him. The pink one with the poof mane had a huge smile on her face, hopping up and down with excitement. In contrast, a yellow one with a light pink mane hid behind one of her friends, yet peeked out to look at Toothless with starry eyes.

"Well, isn't he an...interesting specimen?" a white horse with a purple mane asked as she tried to get closer, but Toothless let out another snarl that forced her back.

"Yeah, well this dragon doesn't look that tough." Upon seeing the rainbow-maned pony that floated before him and remembering what had hit him, Toothless let out another snarl as he began to advance towards her and was only stopped by Hiccup.

"There are...more...of you," Hiccup said, trying to maintain as much of his composure as he could.

"Yes. These are all my friends. Pinkie, Fluttershy, Rarity and Rainbow Dash, who did not wait like I had instructed her to," Twilight introduced before flashing Rainbow a look that she ignored. Hiccup let out a sigh before sitting down on Toothless' back, running his fingers through his hair as he struggled to make sense of what was happening.

"Look, I come from a world of Vikings, dragons and gods, but this," he began as he motioned to the ponies with one of his arms. "Is really starting to freak me out. If you have an explanation as to what's going on, I would really like to hear it."

"Certainly. Let me start with this world. You are in the land of Equestria, a land that is home to many different ponies as well as other species. We're all sentient, we all can talk and we all mostly get along...until recently. As I was saying, I used my magic to bring you here from your world so that you can help us. The reason for this is...we have been having a dragon problem as of late." At this Hiccup's eyes became more focused and for a moment the shocked look that had been in his eyes vanished. He folded his arms as he and Toothless shared a look, Hiccup nodding to the dragon before motioning for Twilight to continue.

"Normally we are friends with the dragons and are on good terms with them, but recently...things have changed," Twilight began, her friends listening closely since this was also the first time they were hearing this news. "Some of the dragons now attack our homes, burn our villages and torch the land. My superiors believe that there is a force at work that is controlling or manipulating the dragons into attacking us, most likely against their will."

Hiccup's eyes narrowed slightly while a frown overtook his face, her words bringing back all too recent memories from his mind--memories of Drago, of the massive battle between the dragons and the Alpha...and the pain of loss with which he was still trying to cope.

"I am sad to say that none of us had made much progress in finding out who is behind this, but with the threat of dragon attack constantly looming over all of our heads...I thought it best that we seek the help of an expert on dragons and see if they would aid us," Twilight continued, looking up at Hiccup with her purple eyes. "And that's why you're here. Because my magic sought out the greatest dragon master and brought him here. So...I assume that you are the dragon master than can help us, right?"

'Okay...let's see if I got this right. These...talking horses...need my help in stopping an evil force that is manipulating dragons into attacking their homes and to do so they used...magic...to bring me here,' Hiccup recapped, his frown growing longer as he crossed his arms once again. 'Yeah...still not sure how I feel about that. Or any of this.'

Toothless then let out a small moan and pushed his head up under Hiccup's arm, looking up at him with quizzical eyes that seemed to question what Hiccup would do next. Hiccup looked down at his best friend with a sigh, knowing what he was asking. 'But they are right in saying that I know more about dragons than anyone else on Berk, and if they were so desperate for help that they used...magic...to bring me here, then things must be serious.'

'And I know better than anyone what it's like to have dragons forced against their will to cause destruction,' Hiccup remembered as he reached down and patted Toothless on the head, helping to make up his mind. 'So if something here is causing dragons to go crazy and attack horses...who can still talk...and they're desperate enough to come to me for help, well...helping others has always been something I'm good at.'

"So...will you help us?" Twilight hesitantly asked.

"Yeah, I guess I will, but I will probably never get used to talking magical horses," Hiccup informed them as he rose off of Toothless. "Alright Toothless, we're going to be helping these horses. So try not to accidently set any of them on fire."

"So, his name is Toothless?" Fluttershy asked as she squeezed in between both Rarity and Rainbow Dash to get closer to Toothless. She looked up at the dragon with awe-filled eyes while Toothless tilted his head and looked down at the pony, not sure what to make of her. "Wow, I've never seen a dragon before with such a pretty shade of black," then she gasped, "and look at his green eyes! They're so pretty! Can I touch him?"

"Whoa, careful there, it takes a lot of training to even approach a dragon this dangerous, let alone..." Hiccup stopped talking when Fluttershy, completely unafraid of Toothless, walked up to him and began to scratch underneath of his neck. Toothless' eyes rolled back in his head and he slumped over with a happy sigh, whereby Fluttershy began to scratch all along his neck and face. "You're lucky he's just a giant softy," Hiccup smirked with a roll of his eyes when Toothless let out a happy roar.

"Fluttershy can makes friends with nearly all animals. It's not that strange," Pinkie said with a huge smile as she got her face as close to Hiccup's as she could, seemingly looking into his very thoughts with her eyes.

"I'll...take your word for it," Hiccup muttered with hands up as he backed away from one crazy, only to bump into another crazy.

"Hello there darling," Rarity said with a beautiful smile and a bat of her eyelashes as she looked Hiccup up and down, causing her smile to grow wider when she got to his face. "Well, well, I may not know much about humans, but I do know when somepony is...quite the catch."

"Ahaha...yeah," Hiccup half-laughed nervously as he backed away from Rarity, nearly tripping over Fluttershy when he backed into Toothless. The dragon gave him a growl and raised a questioning eyebrow at him. "Look, Bud, I know that these horses are...strange, but helping people...horses...helping others learn how to train and live with dragons is what I do best. So if they need my help, I guess I'm the right guy for the job."

Toothless rolled his eyes at Hiccup before turning his attention to the ponies that began to crowd around the both of them, save for Rainbow Dash who seem to be acting too cool to care. Fluttershy had started circling Toothless while eyeing him with curiosity, but she let out a horrified gasp when she got to his tail.

"Oh my gosh, what happened to him?" she asked as she knelt down next to the fabric fin that had replaced the missing part of Toothless' tail, gently petting the dragon's tail while looking up at Hiccup for answers. "Did another dragon or human do this to him?"

"Well funny thing is...wait, there are humans in this world?" Hiccup asked with a slightly shocked look, but before any of the others could answer Twilight stepped in.

"No, there aren't any humans here aside from you, but I've met others before," Twilight explained before looking off in the distance, Hiccup following her gaze to see a small town with a giant crystal castle on the other side of it. "Alright, Princess Celestia and Luna, my superiors, will be here tomorrow, so until then I'm just supposed to make you feel at home. So if you would come with me, I would like to show you my home."

"Uh...sure," Hiccup agreed, waving for Toothless, who now had Fluttershy sitting upon his back, to join them. Once the dragon and the other ponies had joined with the princess and human, they all started to head towards the town with Twilight and Hiccup in the lead.

"That's quite the interesting suit that you have there darling," Rarity pointed out as she looked over the leather and metal masterpiece with an expert's eye. "Seems to have a number of different functions. Which tailor of yours made it for you?"

"Oh this? I made it myself," Hiccup proudly declared as he held up his arms so the ponies could see the suit. "It's my armor, my harness to Toothless, and I can even glide with it for short periods. Really one of my best inventions." His words got an eyebrow raise out of Rarity before she motioned Twilight to join her, pulling Twilight in close once she had done so.

"It's quite impressive that he managed to make that by himself. While fashionably it isn't that impressive, I can see that it serves numerous different purposes and functions besides the ones he mentioned," Rarity informed Twilight, who looked over at the black suit with interest. "Seems we have another little inventor on our hoofs. Not a bad looking one either, I might add."

"So now you're an expert on human fashion and looks as well as ponies?" Rainbow Dash smirked from behind the pair, but Rarity ignored her as she motioned for Twilight to talk to their humans some more, since he looked really out of place.

"So...Hiccup...can you tell me...why hasn't Toothless spoken to any of us yet?" Twilight asked, trying to get small talk started.

"Because he's a dragon. Dragons...don't talk," Hiccup replied with a shake of his arms as if she had asked him why is the sky blue, yet his response gained Hiccup both a small giggle and a look from Twilight.

"Okay, so dragons don't talk in your world, but I can guarantee that they talk here. Spike will show you that when we get back." Hiccup's jaw nearly left his mouth at Twilight's words, but before he could speak Pinkie leapt up in front of him with a smile.

"So Mr. Hiccup, you're taking this whole being teleported to a different reality by a number of talking ponies with magical powers to fight evil dragons awfully well," Pinkie pointed out excitedly.

"I'm used to the strange and bizarre...but I gotta admit that if I wasn't seeing this, then I doubt I would ever believe it. Not sure I still believe it," Hiccup muttered under his breath. "Still trying not to panic." If any of the ponies heard him, they didn't say anything because the six of them finally entered into the town.

"Alright then, Hiccup, allow me to be the first to introduce you to Ponyville!" Twilight exclaimed as she turned to face him, yet Hiccup's face remained emotionless as he looked down the streets to see hundreds of different ponies, each with a different color, mane and strange mark upon their flanks.

'Yep. I still don't know if I believe this is happening.'