• Published 9th Apr 2012
  • 1,796 Views, 30 Comments

Blast From The Past - Blazer



An upstart competitive flyer is visited by an elderly pegasus who claims to know him. That pegasus is none other than Rainbow Dash.

  • ...
3
 30
 1,796

Chapter 8

Author's Note:

The end of Chapter 7 was rewritten as of 11/2/22. If you didn't see these adjustments, check them out before reading this chapter to avoid continuity issues.

I glanced around the empty balcony as I waited at the door. Ryan lived in a small apartment complex in the heart of the city—the tiny two-story building resembling a motel rather than acceptable living quarters. It had taken longer than I had liked to find my way here due to being recognized several times, setting my nerves on edge. I kept my head on a swivel as I searched for any potential fans, simultaneously listening for signs of life inside the apartment.

A shuffling of hooves announced the presence of somepony standing just on the other side of the door. I smiled nervously as I stared at the eye-hole.

A metal clacking noise announced the lock being disengaged. The door cracked open, a disheveled unicorn peering through the gap.

“Jetstream? I didn’t expect to see you so soon.”

My fake smile faded, “We need to talk. Can I come in?”

The door opened fully as Ryan beckoned me to follow. Giving the exterior one last glance, I followed him inside. His horn flashed and the door closed behind us. The light clicked on as I took a brief look around his home.

The apartment was insultingly small—studio-style with a single bathroom and just enough room for a mini fridge and microwave sitting atop it. A twin mattress lay in one corner, a queen-sized comforter having been thrown partially on top of it. A plastic tub full of clothing sat next to a half-empty hamper in the opposing corner. A trash can filled with a variety of used takeout boxes sat near the door, giving a off a faint sour odor that rivaled the funk of dirty laundry.

“Sorry. You’re probably the first pony other than me to walk in here since I moved in,” Ryan apologized as he moved towards the bed. His head hung low as he trudged to the mattress, sitting down on top of it to face me. His horn lit up as his magic levitated an unused legal pad towards him—sourced from a pile of notebooks and notepads next to his bed, “I assume you’re here to talk about compensation.”

“Actually, no. I need to know if I can induce self-hypnosis.”

Ryan blinked, leaning forward in confusion. I shrugged my wings as I continued, “Self-hypnosis. If I can induce self-hypnosis, I won’t need to bother you or Dr. Bell for help.”

Finally, the dam broke.

“Are you out of your mind,” Ryan began before holding up a hoof, “No offense. But after what happened, you should realize how… obsessed you sound!”

Ignoring him, I reached into my saddlebag, grabbing the book inside. Dropping it to the floor, I began flipping through the pages.

“Think about it from my perspective: An injured patient comes back begging for painkillers to dull their symptoms. When the supply stops, they go to their doctor and ask for enough painkillers to last them for the rest of their life. If that doesn’t sound like malpractice—!”
“Look!”

I tapped the offending paragraph. Ryan squinted at it for a few moments before his eyes widened.

“Flyer? Manehatten?”

I nodded, eyes just as wide as his, “That’s me, isn’t it?”

He blinked as he looked up at me. Then back at the page. He leaned closer, as if re-reading the words would result in a different outcome.

“And as far as linking you to helping me, I can just say I figured it out through research. Tell me what books I should get, help me frame myself for… whatever happens to me,” I began.

“Listen to yourself!”

I scrunched my muzzle in shock as he looked up from the page, eyes incredulous with shock.

“’Whatever happens?’ What’s going to happen is you waste away without anypony to help you!”

I shook my head, “I’ve figured out how to break it. If I move to an area I don’t know about, or simply tell somepony I’m from the future, I wake up. Easy.”

“But will you want to wake up, Jet?”

I inhaled sharply as I started to answer, but no words came out.

“I’ll admit, the fact that she claimed to recognize you and that she was looking for this ‘flyer from Manehatten’ makes a little too much sense. But you need to see that this could kill you.”
“What if you lay down some rules of engagement? Time limits?”

“I can’t help you,” he said, shaking his head, “Please. Please just go to Dr. Bell. He can help you. It’ll be tough, but he’ll be there every step of the way.”

“…Alright,” I nodded slowly as I took a seat, “Okay, then,” I stared down at the open book—a picture of Rainbow looking introspective sat at the bottom of the current page. I shut my eyes and hung my head.

“Sometimes I wish she never found me.”

I let my realization hang there for a moment before everything spilled out.

“For the past week, it feels like I’ve had one hoof in the past and one hoof in the present. Common sense tells me to stop looking back. Every day, my friends all say they want me to get better. They ask me to move on. Everypony that knows about the hypnosis keeps telling me that it’s dangerous. It’s costly. It’s not worth it.”

My eyes opened again as I gazed back at the book.

“But then I find things like this telling me there’s a story there. A life yet to be lived—something ahead of me that lives in the past. I know this will be my only chance to find out what that could be. If I walk away from this, I’ll always wonder if I left behind a significant chapter of my life; a chapter that would have made me a different pony—at least, somepony better than the shell of a stallion I am right now.”

I stood up as I moved to the book, “If I walk away… I don’t know if I’ll be able to move forward—forever split between the past and present.”

Ryan looked up as I closed the tome, biting the spine before dumping it into my saddlebag.

“I refuse to spend the rest of my life as a broken stallion.”

I briefly bowed my head before moving to the door. I glanced back, “You don’t need to compensate me for anything. I’ll be sure to send written requests to the Meteors’ legal team to leave you alone.”

“Jet. I’m not saying this as your psychiatrist, but from one colt to another.”

My ears swiveled towards Ryan.

“Please. Don’t do this.”

Wordlessly, I pushed the door open, kicking it shut behind me.


I crept into the locker room, finding it emptied. Relieved to be alone, I trotted to my locker as I pulled it open—gingerly hanging my jersey inside.

Flying was both a relief and a reminder—it let me work out my frustrations and burn excess energy while simultaneously informing me of the glaring issue: A fellow flyer asking me to return to the past. I was afraid of returning to practice due to the concerns of the team—thankfully they were simply happy to see me there. Chase was a little suspicious but didn’t question my return after I put up the façade of the so-called “Jet from flight school.”

“Hey, Jet. Good work today.”

I perked up as I turned, finding Twister giving me a smile from her spot in the doorway of the locker room. I shrugged my wings as I turned back to my locker to hang up my jersey before speaking, “Hopefully I’ll be back to my old self soon.”

“I’d prefer you keep taking it slow. Honestly, if it didn’t make everypony on the team so happy, I’d rather you not worry about reconditioning with them until you’ve got things figured out.”

I heard her hoofsteps approach behind me as I nodded, “Right, right. I didn’t crash into anypony this time, though.”

“Famous last words," she chuckled. She was right behind me now, “Not gonna lie though, having you back makes me happy, too.”

I glanced in the locker’s mirror at her—her bangs were down again. I flashed a grin as I cocked an eyebrow, “I’ll just add that one to the ‘secrets’ pile.”

She moved to my side as she scoffed at the back of my head, “Is that what I get for saying something nice?”

I turned to face her, pouting my lips, “I’m sowwy. Pwease forgwive mwe.”

“Too late for that. Now, I’m adding that face to my secrets pile,” she sniggered.

I shook my head as I shut my locker, “Is this what I get for apologizing?”

“Somepony doesn’t like the taste of his own medicine.”

I rolled my eyes as I picked up my saddlebags. Before I could start moving to the door, I felt her lean against me.

“Hey.”
“Hm?”

She didn’t turn her head as she replied, “What’s on your mind?”

I stared at my plaque on the locker but said nothing.

“Even with that fancy flying I could see you were a lot more distracted today.”
“So I was that bad.”

“Jet,” she said simply, stopping me in my tracks. Her voice lacked the mirth it did previously.

My gaze sank towards the floor. I suddenly started regretting telling her about everything.

“I… I don’t know. I don’t feel any better. I don’t feel any worse.”
“Can we talk about it some more?”
“I’ll be fine.”
“You’ve said that more than a hundred times since my visit to the hospital, but I still don’t believe it.”
“What can I do to make you believe me?”

I wobbled as she pressed against me, one of her wings unfurling as she wrapped it around my shoulder.

“Come on. Let’s get something to eat. It’s on me.”

I looked at her wing as I sighed, shaking my head, “I’ve gotta get home.”

“I know a place that has pretty good coconut curry.”
“Twist, come on. Can we drop it?”
“No.”

She looked up at me, her brow furrowed, “No, we can’t, Jet. I’ve watched you get worse over the past few days and I’d rather not keep wondering why.”

I looked at her, studying her blue eyes peeking from beneath her bangs. They looked fragile, as if a gentle breeze could scatter them.

“…Okay. I’ll go to dinner with you.”
“And?”
“…Only if we just talk about other stuff.”

It was her turn to search my eyes for something. She smiled sadly as she nodded.

“Okay.”

A smile crept back onto my muzzle. I pushed back into her side as we stood there, both of us letting the minutes fly by.


A thick fog enveloped my lower body, obscuring my legs. I trotted forward, admiring how my chest parted it like a ship sailing over mist-covered waters. It looked cold, but I didn't feel it. I never felt temperature whenever I visited this place.

It was dark above the fog. Everything was illuminated as if it was daytime—only there was no sunlight or light source. I could see no horizon, the soupy mist stretching out in every direction as far as I could see.

Despite the mysterious nature of my surroundings, I wasn't afraid. Instead, a deep melancholy bloomed in my chest, earning a long sigh from my muzzle.

Already, I could see her.

The sky-blue pegasus faced away from me, head turning from side-to-side as if searching for something. Her tri-colored mane flopped gently as she scanned the mists for her target.

I wanted to call out to her—to fly to her side.

No, that wasn't it.

It would be better if we both forgot about each other, right?

She turned around, her eyes meeting mine. Magenta met onyx as she smiled, her mouth opening as she spoke inaudibly. I felt a tightness in my chest as I fought the urge to say her name. I could see her smile start to fade into confusion. She spoke her silent inquiry again, cocking her head. I gulped and broke eye contact. She moved in my peripheral, trotting closer. I turned my body to the side, looking away. The tightness turned into discomfort.

It would be better this way.

A low rumble shook the ground beneath our hooves. We shared a look of confusion before a peal of thunder crackled around us. The fog began to shift and fade as the ground bucked and shook underneath us, like an animal trying to rid itself of flies tickling its hide.

Suddenly, we were falling. We tumbled head over hooves, wings flapping wildly in a frantic attempt to grab the air rushing up around us. Rainbow managed to get airborne first as I continued to fall.

As everything seemed to slow, my fear began to revert into the melancholy from before. It would be better this way. If we continued like this, it would be too painful. Time isn't meant to be twisted or bent like this—our union defied reason and logic. I closed my eyes in resignation as I pulled my wings closed.

It wasn't supposed to exist.

I felt an impact in my side as Rainbow slammed into me, hooking her forelegs under my back as she scooped me up in midair. I shouted at her to watch out as more of the floor above us collapsed despite knowing it would be futile. She flew with determination and desperation, but her best efforts were never enough.

Her head jerked sideways as a rock collided with her temple, knocking her out cold. We fell to our end, our limbs entangled in an impromptu embrace.

"She had the same dream."

I blinked. Time seemed to freeze as an unfamiliar voice spoke between my ears.

"She never gave up trying to save you, despite the results always being the same."

A flash of sea-green accompanied the arrival of a regal outline approaching us. My eyes grew into a pair of awestruck dinner plates.

Maneuvering between the frozen pieces of falling rock was Princess Luna.

"It is strange to see this dream from the other side. We had always wondered about the colt that would be so cruel as to deny Rainbow Dash her reunion, but now we see it is more complicated than that."

Her horn flashed as the rocks disappeared, the floor returned to its unbroken state. Rainbow lay quiet and still next to me as I scrambled to prostrate myself before the Princess of the Moon.

"There is no need for such formalities, Jetstream," she offered, a small smile on her muzzle.

I gave a slow nod. Unsure of what else to do, I turned to Rainbow's sleeping form next to me.

"What should I do, Princess," I looked up from Rainbow, searching the alicorn's face for my answer, "Everypony says I should forget about her, but for all those years she never forgot about me."

Princess Luna met my gaze unflinchingly as she spoke, "Perhaps they say these things because they do not believe there is merit in the past," she turned towards the sleeping Rainbow, "The past is always seen as something we cannot change: Consisting of bygone years that define and shape us as ponies, yet distracting us from our present and future. Significant, but only for the purpose of knowing oneself."

Her eyes met mine once more, "That is where you find yourself: Wanting to know more about this unread chapter of your life. Without this knowledge, you find yourself with only a hint of something potentially life-defining. To you, the past is the future. As you say, 'A life yet to be lived.'"

She turned towards Rainbow, her expression still unreadable, "Perhaps we can help you."

My heart lept into my throat, excitement prickling my limbs as I contained myself to a simple, "Thank you, Princess."

Her brilliant jades snapped to me once more, giving me a concerned look, "While we can assist you in returning there, know that you walk in the past—every action you take while there will have lasting consequences. The fact that Rainbow herself came to you is a prime example."

I gulped as I stared at the sleeping pegasus that had singlehandedly turned my entire life upside-down.

"Along with promising not to make too many ripples, we ask only for one other stipulation."

She faced me, her eyes bright and terrible as they burned into my own.

"This will be painful—far more painful than any loss or heartbreak you will ever experience. You will forever be changed, but it is up to you to help it strengthen you instead of define you. Promise me this."

Her wingtip tilted my chin upwards.

"Promise me you are strong enough to shoulder this burden."

I gazed into the vast oceans before me, taken aback by their serenity and ominousity. My heart spoke before my mind could catch up.

"I promise."

She studied my face for several long moments before retracting her wing. Her eyes flicked up to her now-glowing horn.

"Close your eyes."

I followed her instruction, lowering my head. A gentle tap brushed my mane before all of my senses faded.

Suddenly, there was light—as if a door had been opened at the end of a tunnel. I found myself being shunted to the end of the ethereal hallway, unable to look away from the light as it rushed towards me. The speck rapidly grew into an all-encompassing whiteness, blinding me temporarily as my eyes adjusted.

I blinked. I could hear the rushing of wind. Another blink. Blades of grass tickling my sides. I blinked again. Something cold and metal running from the back of my neck to my flank.

The roar of a train horn shocked me into action—instinct rolling me to my feet and spreading my wings. I sped away from the train tracks below as a pastel-colored locomotive rushed past where I lay milliseconds earlier. I blinked, shaking my head as I began to look around.

I found myself hovering above the train tracks about a mile from the train station. Beyond the humble platform lay a sizeable town basking in Celestia’s midday sun, the cream-colored plaster and thatch rooftops giving it a rustic countryside atmosphere.

I was back in Ponyville.

I glanced down at myself—the custom goggles still hung around my neck, but my cast was gone. I couldn't help a grin as I pulled the goggles on: I was back.

Ignoring the concerned stares of the ponies on the platform, I darted into the skies over the town, scanning the streets for any familiar figures. My wings scooped the air furiously as I sped around the outskirts, my eyes catching a building I recognized.

Banking towards the Carousel Boutique, I spread my wings wide as I braked hard before plopping gently to the ground at the door. The curtains were drawn back, various ponies moving about inside as they perused the displays surrounding them. The outfits in the windows had changed to ones more fitting for autumn—large, flowing cloaks and decadent jackets expertly fitted to each of the mannequins. I could see Rarity moving between the ponies browsing her displays, wearing a pair of stylish red-framed glasses.

Our last discussion bubbled to the surface of my memory. Everything she said made sense—even her childish teasing. How could I have been so dense, even going so far as to deny her emotional evaluation?

I would go in and tell her how she was right—and if she had any pointers. Trotting to the door, I lowered my head to bump it open.

"Thought you could duck out on me, huh?"

I froze, staring at the pegasus shaped shadow next to mine on the door. I turned around, unable to hold back my smile as I turned around.

Hovering a few feet off the ground, eyes narrowed above a smug grin, was Rainbow Dash.

"Hey—!"

Something hard whipped into the back of my head, putting me out cold.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment