• Published 9th Apr 2012
  • 1,796 Views, 30 Comments

Blast From The Past - Blazer



An upstart competitive flyer is visited by an elderly pegasus who claims to know him. That pegasus is none other than Rainbow Dash.

  • ...
3
 30
 1,796

Chapter 4

I gasped, sitting upright in my chair.

I was back in the storage closet-turned-office. Ryan’s concerned gaze bored into the side of my head.

“You’re back. So soon…?”

I blinked rapidly, a sudden loss of equilibrium pulling me back into my seat. My held my face with a shaky hoof.

“Oof… Whoa.”
“Did it work? Were you there?”

I nodded slowly, the wonder of it all slowly seeping into me.

“Y-yeah. I was there, in the picture. I saw her…”
“I see! And how long were you there?”

I glanced at Ryan’s furiously-scribbling pencil. “Maybe ten minutes? I’m not quite sure. It was a lot to take in…”

“Of course, of course! And how are you feeling now?”
“A slight headache, I guess? And lightheaded. Not much else.”
“I see…”

Ryan’s pencil stopped as he leaned back in his chair, eyes sparkling with excitement. A smile tugged at the corner of his mouth as he spoke.

“And just like that… It’s truly as simple as following the steps…”

We sat in silence for a few seconds, both awestruck at our respective goals having been reached so easily.

“How long was I out?”

“The better part of ten seconds,” Ryan mused, his eyes finally meeting mine again. “Looks like time seems to move faster in the past than it does the present.”

My eyes darted to the clock, forgetting that I hadn’t checked the time before going under.

“Then there’s still time to send me back, right?”
“Oh, no! No, no, no. We can’t risk another trip within twenty-four hours.”
“What? Why?”
“Did you miss my earlier explanation? This is experimental! While you’re not the first to have walked this road, not all had a smooth maiden voyage like you!”

I bit back a reply. Ryan shook his head.

“Trauma to your cognitive and physical abilities may be the cause of excessive duration of being under, but many subjects suffered severe side effects after their first trials. Unless you want to be sent home with a minder, I’ll be ending your session here today.”

I sank in my chair, defeated by his sound logic. My eyes shifted back to the photo on the table between us, Rainbow’s cheerful expression almost seeming to taunt me.

“I think it goes without saying that I’ll be back tomorrow?”

“No can do, unfortunately. We’ll be closed over the weekend.”

I sank further into my chair as I let out a quiet, “Oh.”

“Unless you’d be willing to take me out to lunch tomorrow afternoon? Your treat, of course.”

I scowled at Ryan, who held up his hooves as if being threatened by an armed robber.

“Hey, just a joke. Truth be told, I’d like to see where this goes as well.” He scratched his head, grinning sheepishly. “It’s just that I don’t get paid for this…”

Despite my disdainful expression, I still knew my answer.

“Sure. It’s on me.”

***

My hooves clopped gently against the sidewalk. “Lovelle’s Diner” blinked obnoxiously on the neon sign over a comparatively quaint cornerside restaurant. Pushing through the door, I smiled at a familiar figure sitting at the counter.

“Knew I’d find you here.”
“Hello, Chase.”

He patted the stool next to him. I perched myself atop it with a quick flap of my wings before setting my elbows on the countertop. A dimpled griffon waitress sidled up as I did, beaming a warm smile.

“Welcome in, sweetie. The usual?”
“Sounds good. Thanks, Darla.”

Darla removed my menu and walked to the kitchen window, rapping the side of it with her leathery footclaws.

“Jet’s here! He wants the usual!”
“Hey, Jet! Long time no see!”

I forced a smile in the direction of the window before turning back to Windchaser.

“How’d practice go? Hopefully Twister didn’t have you guys on conditioning with no routine to work on.”
“Not really. Everyone partnered up for some mock dogfights. Nothing like a little competition to fire everyone up again.”

I clenched and unclenched my jaw at the prospect. Dogfighting didn't serve any tangible purpose, but it served as an opportunity for everyone to show off against each other. It was a great way to motivate everyone to work on their flying outside of practice—or dig up a new move for a future routine.

Sounded like fun.

“Only been half a day and I already miss it.”
“That’s why you’re the captain, I guess. Everyone else is pretty envious that you’re getting the week off, although it’s safe to say that nopony would actually want to be in your hooves considering the circumstances.”

I looked back at Windchaser who was now eyeing me up and down.

“You look a lot better. That Dr. Bell sure is something, right?”

I opened my mouth before suddenly closing it, reconsidering my words. Ultimately, I decided on a white lie—who knows what he’d think about my ‘arrangement’ with Dr. Bell’s scruffy intern.

“Uh, yeah, he’s… Uh… Definitely that.”
“I’m telling you, man. He knows exactly what to say—what words are needed to piece you back together. You’ll be back to your old self in no time.”

I pushed down the unease I felt at those words as Darla returned with a hay burger and sweet potato fries.

“Your favorite: Lovelle Classic Combo. This one’s on the house, honey.”
“Thanks.”

Windchaser scoffed, munching on a fry he had swiped as she had set it down.

“Sheesh. Why does everyone forget that I’m on the Meteors too?”
“Maybe try paying off your tab first, Chasey,” Darla snapped as she returned to the window.
I smiled, leaning down to take my first bite.

***

It was almost two o’clock when I entered the Manehatten Public Library. I yawned unabashedly loud—the consequences kf another sleepless night. The building itself was pretty standard—square, composed entirely of worn red bricks and faded white mortar. The interior was similarly aged, little having changed from when it had first been built almost eighty years ago: Numerous dark brown and neutral khaki bookshelves blocked in a large, open sitting area filled with armchair semicircles. A mixture of tacky white linoleum and severely worn rugs separated the sitting area from the book aisles, separated by rubber stoppers that hid the borders between the flooring changes. An upper level displayed the closeness of the shelves and properly illustrated the scale of one of the largest literary collections in the country—not to mention several more floors stretched above and below the current floor.

I found myself in the autobiographical section, finding only two books on the subject I was here to research. Taking a solitary desk situated at the end of one of the aisles, I nosed the first book open to the title page.

Rainbow Dash
From Weather Pony to Wonderbolt

Skipping the lengthy foreword by the author, I began to skim the book in earnest. While I knew about Rainbow Dash and her many accomplishments and accolades, it was obvious that there was more to learn in the writings of someone much more knowledgeable than I.

My eyes scanned the various paragraphs and photo captions documenting her early life in Cloudsdale—again, familiar territory even for the uninitiated. While there were a couple of specific dates I was unaware of, there wasn’t anything that stood out. Setting a record for the youngest to achieve a Sonic Rainboom at Flight Summer Camp, starting her part-time job as a Weather Pegasus in Ponyville, not to mention achieving her second Sonic Rainboom while saving a fellow competitor in a flight contest in Cloudsdale.

Most of the book’s contents centered on her time in Ponyville, repeatedly citing a quote from Rainbow Dash herself:

“Out of all my time spent living, some of the most important ones were before I even became a Wonderbolt!”

While familiar with Ponyville from Rainbow Dash’s life story, it was only in name. Reading through the several chapters describing various formative events elapsed during her time there, I learned of a few important places: Sugarcube Corner, Carousel Boutique, Castle of Friendship. My brow raised at the last one. A princess? In Ponyville? The town was a random countryside settlement in the middle of nowhere.

I took pause as I read more about Rainbow Dash’s interactions with the townsfolk. One of these ponies was a farmer named Applejack—proprietor of Sweet Apple Acres just outside of town.

“Whoa. It’s her,” I breathed, eyes focused on the familiar farmpony grinning happily in the yellowed photo. I frowned at how kind she looked in comparison to the ugly faces she’d given me upon our initial meeting.

Closing that book, I opened the other one I had picked out:

Rainbow Dash: The Element of Loyalty
A Biography by Twilight Sparkle

This book seemed newer than the other by several years. It even had events after her retirement from the Wonderbolts: Visits to the Grand Galloping Gala with her friends, touring the country from cloud to cloud with Tank (her pet tortoise?), frequent visits to Ponyville from her new home in Canterlot…

I closed the book, satisfied with my findings. I glanced at the clock. About an hour before I would have to leave for my appointment with Ryan. Looking back down at my two books, I knew there was one more I had to find before I flew over.

***

“Goodness, I haven’t had Neighponese food that good in a long time.”
“Glad you enjoyed yourself.”

Ryan sighed, leaning back in his chair. We were in the converted storage room, having just returned from lunch at a local place down the street.

“In all honesty I could go for a nap now.”
“Can we please focus?”

The drowsy unicorn suddenly perked up, nodding emphatically.

“Of course, of course. I didn’t mean to alarm you,” he began. The familiar notepad and pencil appeared from behind his seat as he continued talking.

“Once again, I wanted to state my gratitude for your enthusiasm for this risky procedure. I just want to confirm that you’re still willing to put yourself under.”
I nodded. His smile faded.
“After our appointment yesterday, I realized something. While I can induce your hypnosis, I cannot simply tell you to ‘wake up.’ That signal comes from you—you have to want to return.”
My brow furrowed.
“What? So how do I get back?”
“Do you remember how you got back last time?”
“I got knocked unconscious while in the past.”
“Then you have your method for returning to the present. But take care not to push it too far. There aren’t any recorded incidents of subjects ending their lives while under the hypnosis, but there are plenty who have simply gone brain-dead—I think we can both safely assume what happened.”

I sighed, butterflies abuzz in my stomach.

“This is a lot to think about right before sending me back.”
“Well? Do you want to go back?”

I looked at him incredulously, as if expecting him to know of my two hours of frenzied research and ten hours of restless waiting.

“Of course.”
“Very well. Relax your neck and lean back into your chair. I’ll start the countdown.”

Nodding, I pulled a book from my satchel with my mouth, easing in onto the table and gazing at the cover.

Ponyville: Foundations of Friendship

***

This time, I felt my surroundings first. It was cold.

Very cold.

A shiver coursed through my soaked body, my jaw chattering as I exhaled. I immediately opened my eyes, blinking away the water that blurred my vision.

The pitter-patter of heavy raindrops obscured my immediate surroundings in a grey-white mist. It was daytime, but the middle of an intense downpour. Behind me lay the lake Rainbow and I had crashed into during my last visit. Its surface bubbled angrily as the torrential downpour continued its onslaught on its once placid waters. I looked skyward briefly—immediately regretting it as I was pelted with grape-sized droplets on my face.

The clouds were abnormally dark—it had to be the bi-monthly showers from the local weather team. The practice had become much more complicated in recent times. Rain was dispersed and delivered with pinpoint quantities and accuracy based on local precipitation reports to ensure most cities enjoyed a similar climate to their surroundings, allowing wildlife to freely move in and out of populated areas without being affected by such drastic meteorological change.

But I was a few dozen years in the past—and the good old method of “water it all every now and then” seemed to be the current approach.

Blowing the water from my lips, I slowly stood to shake the soreness from my limbs—but not before the loud peal of thunder shook me to my core.

Lightning meant I would be walking to my next destination. I sighed as I trudged towards a muddy ribbon of road snaking along the nearby shoreline, bracing myself for a lengthy walk in cold, soaked misery.

Much to my relief, I spotted the fringes of a town almost immediately—attributing the difficulty in seeing something so obvious to the inclement weather. Squinting through the deluge, I could just make out the lights of windows glimmering between the crowded droplets. Glancing at a sign erected at the side of the road, I grinned. Passing the sign and crossing the stone bridge that marked the city limits, I took my first steps into Ponyville proper.

It looked much less welcoming than the pictures in the biographies I had read. With the rain coming down so fiercely and the window lights wavering like candles threatened by a stiff breeze, the town was downright creepy. It was as if I had stepped into a horror film—stranded in a town harboring a terrible cult attempting to bring some monster to life.

When I heard somepony shouting at me, I almost leapt out of my fur.

“You! Come here, quick!”

Shaking my matted mane out of my eyes, I could just make out the outline of a pony framed by the light of an open door. It waved a hoof frantically in my direction.

“Yes! You! Mister Pegasus! Come inside!”

The voice sounded feminine and spoke with an urgent tone.

“I’m sorry, I don’t know who you are, ma’am!” I yelled back. “I can wait until the rain stops!”

“It’s just started, darling! I can assure you you’ll be waiting for a long time,” she shouted in reply. “I insist! Please come inside so we can both get out of this unpleasantness!”

Mildly worried at the circumstances of either risking illness or being abducted by an as-of-yet unnamed mare, I approached the cylindrical building. It had the appearance of a large wedding cake, a small sign bearing “Carousel Boutique” hanging from the roof by gaudy brass fastenings. One of my brows raised upon recognizing the name from Rainbow’s autobiography.

My mysterious benefactor was a unicorn—a stark-white coat with deep purple locks that cascaded down the side of her face. Her sky-blue eyes were locked onto me, a worried expression twisting her snout into a frown.

“Come, let’s get you dried off and out of this dreadful weather. You must be freezing!”

Resisting the urge to shake off the water, I nodded and gingerly stepped inside the warmth of the shop. As the door closed behind me with a squeak and a jingle of a small bell above the door, I studied the elegant interior of the store.

Fanciful gowns and outfits compiled of stylish articles graced more than a dozen mannequins on display around the shop. Various accessories such as ribbons, belts and scarves hung from the walls while enormous rolls of fabric were tucked away into numerous cubbies located towards the top of the walls like giant colored scrolls. I would’ve been in awe if I wasn’t so preoccupied with dripping all over my rescuer’s pink carpet.

“Here, darling.”

A soft, fragrant towel mooshed gently onto my head. Standing on my hind legs, I rubbed the soft fiber vigorously across my soaked fur, obscuring my vision for a moment as I dried myself off. I felt a hoof on my back.

“Goodness, you’re chilled to the bone! I’ll get you something warm to drink.”
“Thank you.”

Unsure if she heard my muffled reply, I could hear rescinding hoofsteps as she moved away. Her voice rang out again, more distant than before.

“Sweetie Belle! We have a guest! Would you mind getting another towel from the laundry room?”
“O-oh, you don’t have to…”
“Okay!”

My protests dying halfway, I continued to rid myself of excess moisture. Wiping my muddied hooves off on the towel, I dried my fetlocks as best as I could before stepping to the side, unsure if I should proceed any further onto the otherwise undisturbed pink swathes before me.

It wasn’t long before the white pony returned with a smaller one in tow—a filly no taller than my chest carrying a much drier twin to the damp, disheveled one I sat upon near the door.

“Tea should be out shortly. In the meantime, you’re welcome to hop into the tub and get yourself cleaned up.”

I took a step back, shaking my head.

“Oh, no, I think I’m okay just standing over here—!”
“The water’s already running so it should be warm very soon. By the time you’re finished, we can all enjoy some tea and some late lunch. I’ve got some cucumber sandwiches from Café Hay that you’ll absolutely love.”
“Just go along with it, Mister. She always does this for new faces getting caught in the scheduled rain days.”

I gave a worried smile as the towel was deposited on my back. How did they know I was a new face? Was this town so small that everypony knew each other?

The taller pony nodded towards an open door, steam billowing out of the frame.

“And don’t you come out until you’re squeaky clean! The water should be hot by now—you’ll see the plug is by the drain.”

Giving a stiff nod, I quickly trod past the two unicorns and into the bathroom. The door swung shut behind me, only adding to my frayed nerves.

All of it seemed like a routine abduction—draw me in with false kindness and whisk me away to who knows where once I’ve let my guard down.

I had no idea who this pony was or how she could benefit from taking in random strangers. And was the little one in on it, too?

I stared hungrily at the warm bath, savoring the thawing effect the steamy air had on my body.

Bath first.

***

Opening the door, I relished the cooler, steam-free air of the small sitting room as I stepped out of the washroom. The young filly sat on an armchair facing me, already munching on her cucumber sandwich. The purple-haired mare stood next to the table, regarding me with her attentive gaze.

“All done? I hope there was enough hot water for you.”
“Oh, yeah. Thanks. It was great. I haven’t had a bath in a long time.”

The mare raised an eyebrow, a look of disbelief crossing her face.

“O-oh, no! I meant I mostly shower these days.”

She chuckled at my reply before sitting down on a luxurious chaise near her younger counterpart, gesturing towards the armchair opposite the two of them.

“Please, sit. I’d love it if you told us a little about yourself!”

I gulped, moving to the seat before perching on the edge of the cushion. The mare frowned.

“Are you alright? You seem… anxious.”
“Oh, me? Never better. Yup.”

An awkward silence passed before she cleared her throat.

“Well, I suppose I’ll introduce myself first. My name is Rarity. This is my sister, Sweetie Belle. I wish to welcome you to Ponyville, as well as to my boutique!”

Her disarming smile loosened me up, giving me the courage to reciprocate.

“Nice to meet you. I’m Jetstream. From Manehatten.”
“Jetstream…”

Rarity tapped her hoof against her chin.

“It sounds familiar, although I just can’t place it…”

I forced a smile to hide my surprise.

She remembers me?

“Are you gonna eat your sandwich?”

Sweetie Belle had finished hers, looking at me with her fishbowl eyes.

“All yours.”
“Okay!”

She took the second of the three sandwiches. Rarity suddenly perked up.

“Ah! Yes! Applejack told me she met somepony a couple of days ago with the same name!”

So continuity is a thing in the past…

“O-oh.”
“I apologize. She’s a dear friend of mine. I heard that your discussion was a… prickly one.”
“I didn’t mean to trespass,” I blurted out. “It was a long flight from Manehatten so I thought I’d take a quick rest in her orchard. I overslept, and she found me there.”
“Oh, you don’t have to explain yourself to me, Jet. Her parting sentiment was guilt rather than anger—she realized she hadn’t been very polite regarding your inspiration.”

Uh oh.

“Although I must admit, I would also like to hear why you wish to see Rainbow. We’re all friends, you see.”

I licked my lips, wracking my brain how best to explain it without mentioning I was from the future.
“Well, I mean… I’m just a fan. She likes to fly fast and I like to fly fast too. And she’s pulled off the Sonic Rainboom.”

Rarity smiled again. “Well, regarding that one—I was one of the ponies she saved that day.”
“Really?!”
“You could say that my peril brought out the best in her.”
“Wow… What was it like? I mean, to be going that fast…!”
“I assure you, I don’t remember very much of anything. It’s like my mind wanted to forget all about that dreadful fall.”

Reining in my excitement, I leaned back in my chair.

“Wow. I had no idea.”
“Well, of course! We’ve only just met.”

I nestled myself into the cushions a bit more. I had to ask her.

“So, could you tell me more about her?”
“Oh, I’m sure you’ll see her more if you stick around. She’ll be clearing up these clouds later.”
“Right, right. Guess I’ll wait till then.”

Darn. My eyes fell to the teacup sitting on the table’s edge nearest to my chair. The surface of the amber liquid wobbled as Sweetie Belle grabbed the last of the sandwiches with her magic.

“You seem very… focused on her.”
“Hm?”
“I will admit that you are one of very few ponies to admit their admiration for Rainbow.”

My face flushed with heat.

“While her deeds in Cloudsdale brought her some fame, her only ‘fans’ are local ones. You’re the first pony who’s traveled as far as Manehatten just to see her.”
“She’s the reason I started my career as a flyer. I think she’s a pretty big deal.”
“I heard as much from Applejack. It’s just…”

I glanced up from my teacup vigil to see Rarity wearing a knowing smirk.

“I think there’s something more, don’t you?”
“What? No!”
“It all adds up, darling. But no need to fret—I won’t tell anypony!”
“There’s nothing to tell!”
“Say what you want, my dear. But I know romantic interest when I see it.”
“Eugh.”

Sweetie Belle rolled her eyes as she wiped her mouth with a lavender napkin.

“You’ll understand one day, Sweetie. To wander the wonder that is ‘life’ alone is too much for anypony to bear!”
“I haven’t fallen for her,” I argued.
“Just know that your big sister Rarity is rooting for you!”
Big sister? I’m probably the same age as you!”

Rarity hid her giggle behind her hoof. “You certainly don’t act like a big brother, so it’s only right for me to assume the role.”

I narrowed my eyes before ruefully sipping my tea, forgetting I wasn’t a tea drinker. While the taste wasn’t bad, I quickly set the cup back on the table. Suddenly I realized how immature I was—in both attitude and palate.

“So, how long do you plan on staying here?”
“Hm? I’m not sure.”
“Well, surely you can’t return in the same day! It’s almost four o’clock.”

My eyes darted to the clock before replying.

“I guess not.”
“You are welcome to return here if you’re unable to find a place to stay. This sitting room makes for a cozy bedroom in a pinch!”
“Thank you, I didn’t even think about that.”

Rarity adjusted herself on the chaise, setting down her teacup as she focused on me again.

“So now that we’ve shared our connections to Rainbow, why don’t we tell each other a little more about ourselves?”

***

“Remember! If you can’t find anywhere to stay, just knock!”
“Thanks. You’re too kind.”
“See ya, Mister!”

My hooves squelched in the muddy roads as I trotted away from the boutique, my eyes scanning the rapidly dispersing clouds for a specific mare. Among the dozen or so pegasi clearing the sky, it wasn’t hard for me to find her. For the first time, I got a good look at Rainbow Dash in what I assumed to be her prime: Her youthful face sagged with boredom as she followed a couple other pegasi with their respective clumps of rain clouds. Her mane and coat shone brilliantly in comparison to the elderly yet spirited mare that confronted me several weeks ago. She wore a pair of goggles up on her head—the minimalistic uniform of most weather teams.

I opened my mouth to shout before suddenly realizing I had no plan of attack, my gaze dropping to my hooves. Would she think it creepy if I said she was a fan? Or maybe she already knew because of Applejack or Rarity? If she did, how would I try and salvage it?

“Hey,” came a voice just above me.

I glanced up to see her regarding me with a concerned stare.

“Do I know you from somewhere?”