• Published 31st Mar 2014
  • 3,409 Views, 27 Comments

How It Started: Rainbow And Mac - FelixTheBrony



Ever wonder how the mane six found their special someponies in A Day in Ponyville, well this is how Rainbow Dash had found Big Macintosh.

  • ...
16
 27
 3,409

The Story

How It Started: Rainbow and Mac

Big Macintosh grunted as he pulled on his yoke, the plough attached to it dragging along behind him. Applejack following behind him with a bag of seeds, planting them and flattening the ground again.

For the most part it was quiet between them, but Mac knew that wouldn't last long. This job could take the better part of two hours. He loved his sister very much but she seemed incapable of keeping quiet for very long.

As if to prove his point, the orange mare started speaking. “Me an' tha girls are meetin' up at Sugarcube Corner later, Mac...”

“Eeyup.” He replied, rolling the stalk of wheat he had between his lips to the other side of his mouth. He knew of his sister's weekly visits to the bakery to see her friends.

“Don't interrupt Mac!” Applejack scolded, causing him to roll his eyes. “As Ah was sayin', we were meetin' up later ta head down ta tha bowlin' alley an' we were goin' ta brin' Thunderlane, Cheese an' Soarin too...An' then Spike decided he wanted ta hang wit' tha crusaders today so we have an uneven amount of players...” She said, sighing as she could see her brother start to shuffle uncomfortably.

“Mac...Could you maybe come too. Just ta give us an even ten ponies?” She asked.

“U-um...” Mac stuttered, trying to find an excuse. See, Mac has a terrible fear of going out in public not only because of the way he knows some of the mares around town look at him, but also because he doesn't really have any friends aside from Caramel and he moved to Appleloosa the year before. “M-ma chores...”

“Mac, this is yer last chore of tha day, it's why Ah'm goin' out later, remember. Ah wouldn't leave ya behind wit' all tha work while Ah go an' have fun, that wouldn't be fair ta ya.” She replied, going slightly off track before she shook her head. “So c'mon, it'll be fun!”

“...Ah dunno AJ...” He said, hitting a rough patch, causing him to grunt further and struggle forward a bit more. “Ah ain't really very social...”

“Neither's Fluttershy, but she manages jus' fine.” Mac rolled his eyes again, getting a bit frustrated with this.

“Well she's obviously braver than me...” He answered to which Applejack snorted.

“Hardly! No offence ta tha girl, but Ah swear she jumps at 'er shadow sometimes!” She exclaimed. “C'mon Mac, PLEASE!”

“Ah'm sorry AJ, ya gotta find somepony else...What about Ditzy?”

“She's out wit' tha' Doctor fellow.”

“Lyra?”

“Wit' Bon-Bon.”

“Braeburn?”

“He's in Appleloosa!”

“...Princess Luna?” He asked, quickly running out of ponies he knew she knew.

“She's kinda asleep durin' tha day.” Applejack replied, trotting up next to him to give him the puppy dog eyes that Applebloom usually gives people. “Pwease!”

Big Mac turned away. “AJ, Ah really don't feel like it...”

“Pwease!”

“AJ, Ah won't fit in, Ah don't know 'em, they ain't ma friends.”

“Is that all it is?” Applejack said, dropping the cutesy look that didn't seem to have much effect. “How does Applebloom make it look so easy?” She internally said before looking up at Mac.

“...Eeyup...” He replied, rolling his shoulders a bit to relieve the tension he felt building up. He stopped and scuffed the ground. “Ah jus' don't wanna embarrass ya or nothin'...”

Applejack looked at his sorry looking act and felt her heart break a bit. “Ah Mac, c'mere...” She said, offering him a hug. He reluctantly accepted it, wrapping his hooves round her in turn. “You listen ta me, you are ma brother. Ma family. Ah would never, EVER be embarrassed of ya...”

“...Eeyup.” He sighed, before realising that she had more to say.

“Ah worry 'bout ya Mac. Since Caramel moved away, ya don't do anythin' but ya chores. Ah jus' want ya ta relax a bit...” She said, releasing him from the hug. “An' Ah reckon you'll like tha others! Fluttershy's jus' as quiet as you are so ya won't that be intimidated by her, Pinkie an' Cheese are a little scary, but they're really friendly. Soarin's a bit of a goof, but he's a barrel o' fun same wit' Thunderlane. Twilight's jus' a sweetheart, Rarity's...a bit o' a drama queen but she is really nice.” She went on describing her friends.

After it seemed that she stopped talking, Mac came to a realisation. “What about tha' filly tha' helped me on tha treadmill tha' one time?”

“What, Rainbow Dash?” Mac nodded, to which Applejack contemplated. “Well...Ah'm not sure what you'll will think o' her. She ain't really tha' patient an' is often quite rude an' arrogant, but she's loyal. She's got tha'...” Applejack answered. “But she was friends wit' Flutters first, so Ah'm sure she'll give ya a chance.”

Big Mac shrugged, before contemplating the offer once again. That's when he came to the realisation that he was quite incapable of refusing his sister anything. “Alrigh' Ah'll come along...”

Applejack smiled and hugged her brother again happily.


He and Applejack had entered Sugarcube corner to find themselves a bit early, in fact the only other ones there were Pinkie, Cheese and Fluttershy. “Howdy y'all! Ah hope ya don't mind tha' Ah invited Ma bro, right?”

“Of course not! The more the merrier!” Pinkie cheered, bouncing about excitedly, Cheese following suit.

“Right and the merrier we are, the more fun we'll have!”

“And fun is fun!” Big Mac tried to follow the two of them, but only ended up getting dizzy and falling over his own hooves. Applejack chuckled and helped him over to the table Fluttershy was sitting at.

“How about's we start off a little smaller...Ah don't think you're ready fer those two jus' yet.” Fluttershy looked up at Mac and quickly hid behind her own mane, a little intimidated by the large red work horse sitting opposite her on the table.

Mac noticed this and rubbed his forehoof with the other, nervously. Applejack had started to talk to Cheese and Pinkie, if only to take the brunt of the force away from him.

“...”

“...”

“...”

“...”

“...”

“...”

“...um...hi?”

“Eeyup.” Mac replied, starting to get REALLY uncomfortable. “Ah think AJ mighta missed tha mark on this one...”

“Um...d-do you bowl well? If you don't mind me asking?” She asked, trying to take her mind off of how intimidating this stallion was. Mac shrugged.

“Dunno, never bowled before...Well not since Ah was about twelve.” He replied, relieved that the awkward silence had lifted.

“Oh...This is my first time too...I hope I don't do too badly...”

“Ain't like it'll matter that much. It's just a bunch a friends and me hanging out.” Mac replied, facing the door as the bell chimed, revealing a light blue Pegasus stallion with a darker blue mane entering.

“Hey fillies and gentlecolts!” He said, walking in with an air of confidence surrounding him, seating himself at the table that Fluttershy and Mac were on. “So Flutters, who's your friend?”

“Oh...Um...This is Applejack's brother Big Macintosh.” Fluttershy replied, a bit more comfortable with a more regular face nearby.

“Well good to meet ya, Mac. I'm Soarin, Wonderbolt extraordinare!” He introduced himself, holding out a hoof. Mac smiled a bit. Applejack's description was spot on.

“Ah'm glad ta meet ya, she talks 'bout ya sometimes. Calls ya, Pie-Guy.” Soarin chuckled sheepishly as Mac returned the hoof bump.

“Yeah but I can't help it! You guys make the BEST pies!”

“Ah like this guy...” Mac thought, as he let Soarin talk. “...Seems ta be a nice fellow, respectable...a little silly but then again, who isn't.”

After talking with Soarin for a bit, Applejack came over to talk to Mac, so Soarin and Fluttershy left for a bit to give them some space. “So how ya doin' so far?”

“Well...Things were a little uncomfortable wit' Fluttershy but Soarin's a good guy.”

“He is, isn't he?” Mac rose an eyebrow at Applejack's sudden, slightly dreamy expression on her face before she snapped out of it. She opened her mouth to speak but Mac beat her to the punch.

“Soarin an' AJ, sittin' in a tree...” She slapped a hoof over his mouth, glaring at him.

“Finish tha' sentence an' ya jaw comes off!” She hissed at him, quietly with a large blush on her cheeks. He nodded, but grinned knowing he had her.

Before she could try to explain her actions, Princess Twilight walked in with Rarity and Thunderlane not too far behind, the latter two nuzzling a little bit while they walked.

“Sorry about being late, but Spike wanted a little help gathering some fireworks...Something about Cutie Mark Crusader Demolitions Team?” They all looked at her in confusion, to which she shrugged. “Please don't ask.”

“Oh dear...I do hope Sweetie Belle and Rumble will be okay...” Rarity muttered, to which Thunderlane nuzzled her cheek a little.

“Don't worry. I'm sure they'll be fine. Spike's with them after all.”

“LOOK OUT BELOW!!” Came a shout from outside before a rainbow coloured streak smashed through the window, towards Big Mac.

“Nnnope!” He cried before the streak collided with him and they were both sent flying towards the wall, Mac's back colliding with it rather painfully. The rainbow streak, otherwise known as Rainbow Dash, dizzily looked up into the face of the big red stallion, before stumbling to her hooves.

“Ur...Sorry bout that, thanks for breaking my fall big guy.” She said, a faint red tint to her cheeks, walking towards the others. Mac shook his head, trying to figure out what had just happened.

“Are you okay Mac?!” Applejack said, helping Mac back to his hooves again. He stretched his back and the tension was released when he heard a loud pop.

“Eeyup!” He replied.

“Great, now we're all here we can go!” Pinkie declared, bouncing towards the door. The others shrugged and followed.


“Alright everyone!” Twilight said, causing the nine to look up at her. “I told them they didn't have to, but the owner had actually made it so we'll be the only ones here right now so I feel we should, at least, use all the lanes.” She explained, pointing out the five bowling alleys.

“Sweet! Then lets have a contest!” Rainbow announced, the fire of competition burning in her eyes. “Five teams of two, whoever gets the highest added total wins!”

“Fair enough, who'll be tha teams?” Applejack asked, to which Rainbow shrugged.

“I dunno, split and choose...But I already know who two of the teams will be.” She face hoofed, pointing to Pinkie and Cheese with their forehooves interlocked and Rarity and Thunderlane nuzzling each other. “Get a room you guys!”

“But we got a room last night...” Pinkie replied, confused.

Soarin stood next to Applejack. “Bugsy AJ!” He called, playfully to which she playfully punched him in the shoulder.

“Ah'll be on ya team, but ya can't jus' bugsy a team mate.” Soarin shrugged in response, sheepishly.

“That's actually how we sort out wing ponies on the Wonderbolts.” He explained. “We aren't exactly...organised, but when you find something that works.”

Twilight wrapped a wing around Fluttershy. “I'll be on Fluttershy's team then. That means that Mac will be on Rainbow's team.” Rainbow grinned, standing next to the big red horse.

“Fine by me, but you're all going down!” She declared, cockily, turning to Big Mac. “Right big guy?”

“Um...Eeyup?” He responded, a little confused. How did this end up happening?!

“Well pick a lane and let's start!” Cheese announced, grabbing Pinkie and rushing towards the first lane, Pinkie giggling all the way.


Rainbow picked up the bowling ball as it came towards her on the conveyor belt, feeling the weight of the ball. “So how good are you at this game, big guy?”

Mac shrugged. “Ah dunno really, never played much before...” He paused then added. “...and ma name is Mac.”

“How comes I got stuck with the newbie...” She groaned, teasingly, before rolling the ball and knocking down nine pins. “Hay yeah!” She cheered, before grabbing the next one, waiting for the remaining pin to be lowered again after the other pins were done being cleared.

Mac had watched while sitting behind her, chewing on the piece of straw in his mouth. This Rainbow filly was strange to him. She wasn't like the typical mare, she was competitive, arrogant, reckless if that stunt in the bakery was anything to go by...

...and he liked it.

“Got it!” She cheered, pumping a hoof up into the air. “Alright!” She continued, before she glance left and saw that Soarin had also got a spare. “You're up Mac, just knock down as many as you can!”

“Eeyup.” He replied, deciding not to say that he already knows HOW to play. He'll just let his actions speak for him.

He noticed the ten pins down the lane and picked the ball up, staring at it for a bit.

He then balanced it in the centre of the lane and turned his back to it. “Um...Mac, your supposed to...” Rainbow started to explain, before Mac shot his back leg out and smashed the ball right into the centre of the pins, causing them to all shoot down at once.

“Strike.” He grinned, as he walked past Rainbow, who's jaw had hung loose at what she just saw.

“He wasn't even looking!” She thought, looking up at the X on Mac's score before grinning that competitive grin. “Let's do this!”


“Aww yeah! We rock!” Rainbow cheered as soon as Mac scored his last strike. Their score board adding up to a total of four hundred and sixty one points. “Way to go Mac!”

Mac nodded, grinning as well. He didn't know what it was, but being able to beat somepony at something...It just made him feel good. A feeling of accomplishment had washed over him.

“Hot dang, you two even managed ta beat Cheese an' Pinks an' they're supposed ta be pro.” Applejack mentioned, looking over at the party ponies combined scores of three hundred and eighty seven.

“Yeah, we're awesome!” Dash continued, pumping a hoof in the air. Mac just stayed quiet and savoured the feeling a little. He always thought himself a simple farm horse, but this competition made him feel like much more than that. Somepony who could take on the world.


“Guess this mus' be why Miss Dash likes ta compete so much...Hardly say Ah blame 'er.” He thought to himself.

“So we gonna get some food or what?” Rainbow went on to say, her stomach agreeing with her statement by rumbling as hard as it could.

Applejack turned to think about, when she caught Soarin's pleading look from behind her. “Well Ah guess we could git some food before startin' another game.” She agreed. The rest soon joined the group over to the food court.


“Urg...Do they serve anything except hay fries and doughnuts?” Rarity asked, knowing exactly where those calories were going to go and didn't like the idea of it.

“This is a bowling alley, Rarity, what were you expecting?” Rainbow asked, before ordering her hay fries.

“I'll wait until I get home then. I'll just get a coffee...” She sighed, but cheered up a bit with Thunderlane's gentle nuzzling. Rainbow rolled her eyes and pretended to gag at the scene when they all sat at a smaller table. “Knock it off Rainbow, you'll act like this too when you find the one!”

“Yeah right!” She shot back, leaning back in one of the chairs. “Like I'd ever act all flirty and lovey dovey around anypony!” she continued, chuckling at the very idea.

“Well...I'd say with the way you were acting around Macintosh earlier, that the love bug has bitten again.” Rainbow stopped laughing immediately and turned to glare at her Unicorn friend.

“What do you mean by that?!” She accused, turning away. “I was not...n-not acting differe...” She trailed off when her eyes caught said stallion waiting his turn after Twilight to order some food.

The pause in her words lasted another few seconds, before she blinked and turned back to Rarity. “What were we talking about?”

Rarity giggled slightly and Thunderlane looked about ready to burst. “What's so funny?!” She demanded.

“Rainbow, you got wing boner.” Thunderlane replied, quietly, pointing to her wings that appeared to be shot out to either side. She yelped, and pushed them, with some difficulty, back down to her sides.

“Th-that...I mean I don't...” She stutter to which Rarity pressed her hoof against her mouth.

“We'll talk about this later.” She assure before her coffee was brought in front of her as well as Rainbow Dash's hay fries.

“Thanks!” She said, paying the server before diving her face right into the pile.

“Hmm...” Rarity thought to herself, looking at Macintosh, who was looking at Rainbow Dash in confusion, before chuckling a little.


“I don't have a crush on him!” Rainbow exclaimed for possibly the hundredth time to the fashionista and her coltfriend as they stood opposite her. The whole group had finished their day of bowling and had gone their separate ways.

Rarity and Thunderlane, however, dragged Rainbow to the Carousel Boutique to interrogate her about Mac.

“Stage One?” Thunderlane asked to which Rarity nodded.

“Quite right. Denial.”

“I am not in denial!” She yelled at the two, furiously. The two looked at each other and nodded.

“Anger.” They said simultaneously. To which, Rainbow stepped back, shocked.

“Uh...um...ALRIGHT I HAVE A TINY CRUSH ON HIM!”

“Wow, acceptance came faster than I thought it would...” Thunderlane stated, putting a hoof to his chin contemplatively.

“We'll get Twilight's opinion on it tomorrow, Dear.” Rarity said, before hugging her friend. “But it's great that you finally found somepony to love, Darling, I was always scared you'd never slow down enough to try and find the one.”

“Whoa whoa whoa! Who said anything about love?!” The Pegasus mare exclaimed, prying herself away from the Unicorn.

“Well, Thunderlane told me some things.”

“What things?” Rainbow asked, indignantly. Thunderlane rolled his eyes.

“Well you take naps in the Academy all the time and you kind of talk in your sleep.” He said in a matter-of-fact kind of tone. “You keep saying Mac's name.”

“Wh-what?!” She said, astonished that she had no idea that she did that.

“Yup some of us even took bets on when you'd go and tell him how you felt...” He explained to which her eye twitched and Rarity giggled. “I had twelve bits on three months ago...So much for that.” He continued, ruefully.

“Y-you took bets?!” Rainbow replied, shocked. “Who else knows?!”

“Me, Bulk Biceps, Soarin, Fleetfoot, Surprise, Spitfire, White Lightning, Applejack, Pinkie, Twilight, Fluttershy...” He listed, seeming to continue for a little before looking at Rainbow again and grinning, sheepishly. “If it's any consolation, Spitfire, Bulk, White, Fleetfoot and Surprise don't think you're a filly-fooler anymore.”

“THEY THOUGHT I WAS A FILLY-FOOLER?!” She asked, shocked. “W-WHY?!”

“Hey, I don't know! I didn't tell them anything!” Thunderlane protested, defensively. Rarity rolled her eyes.

“Well Rainbow, Dear, you do seem to give off that kind of vibe.” Rainbow's eye twitched again.

“What vibe?!” She asked, seeming ready to snap at any minute.

“The way you act, the way you style yourself, the way you talk...It kind of just screams tomcolt and that kind of behaviour is usually affiliated with being a filly-fooler...” Rainbow reeled back, horrified at the thought.

“I-is...I-is this why nopony asked me to my flight camp prom...Or w-why nopony asked me out on Hearts and Hooves day...Because they though I was...gay...” The two stepped away from the cyan mare, afraid she would suddenly attack something...or someone.

And then Rainbow did something completely out of character...

...she cried...and cried hard.

She had collapsed to the floor of the boutique, splaying her six limbs out, rivers flowing out of her eyes like never before. One little revelation had sent her from a tough mare to a snivelling, bawling lump of cyan fur on the ground.

Rarity turned to Thunderlane and nodded towards the door. Taking the hint, the dark grey stallion exited the shop, putting a much needed, 'sorry we're closed' sign on the door. She then, cautiously, trotted over to Rainbow and wrapped her into a supportive hug, which Rainbow returned, only a lot stronger than she thought she would.

Rarity felt herself not only get her ribcage compressed by the mare, but also felt Rainbow's tears and mucus stain the fur on her shoulder. But she didn't care about the condition of her fur right now, she cared only about the condition of her friend.

“Hush now~ quiet now~ It's time to lay your sleepy head~...” She sung the old lullaby that Fluttershy taught her for the Ponytones to use to try and calm her down a bit.

And it had the desired effect as the tears had finally stopped, but she was still sniffling and her eyes were red. “I dare say, I've never quite seen her cry like that before...”

“S-sorry...I just...I didn't...I didn't think...Did everypony think...?”

“I heard rumours around Ponyville, Dear, but I never took them to heart...” Rarity explained, removing one of her forehooves to lay it over her chest. “After the Gabby Gums incident I learned to always be 100% sure of something before spreading it around.”

“S-so...Even Mac...Maybe he thinks...” Rainbow's eyes widened in a manic like state and seized Rarity by her cheeks. “Please Rarity! You've got to make me more girly!”

“Um...What?” The alabaster Unicorn asked, tilting her head to the side, confused.

“Please Rarity! Make me more mare like! Dress me up! Use make-up! Do my hair! Use me as a mannequin for all I care but please! I can't have him think I'm batting for the other team!”

“Um...I...guess I could...But only if it's what you want.” Rarity asked, not as enthused as she thought she would be at finally being able to work on the rainbow maned mare.

“I want Mac to see me as a MARE not one of the GUYS! Please! I'm begging you!” She said, cupping her forehooves together and giving an adorable little puppy expression on her face.

“This is not at all like the real Rainbow Dash...She must have some REALLY strong feelings for Macintosh...I need to ask Twilight about this. This is not normal behaviour for a crush!” Never-the-less, Rarity put on a smile and used her magic to drag a chair over.

“Well I'm always glad to be of assistance, Dear...But this'll probably be the first time I'm working with you so bear with me if I'm being a little...'experimental'.” Let Twilight have her science, this is the only research that this Unicorn needed to work on. Rainbow nodded, holding very still as Rarity grabbed a brush and comb in her magical grip.

“Thank you so much! You don't know how mu...OUCH!” Rainbow yelped as a knot in her mane was yanked loose.

“Dear...When was the last time you brushed your mane?”

“When was the Grand Galloping Gala?”

“Um...Six months ago?”

“Then six months ago.” She answered to which Rarity sighed a bit dramatically.

“This'll be harder than I thought...Better send Sweetie Belle to Twilight then...”


“That is odd...Rainbow doesn't seem like the kind of mare for that sort of thing.” Twilight pondered, after Sweetie Belle had delivered the news.

“Well it's true, I saw it myself! Rainbow was even wearing eye shadow!” Twilight raised an eyebrow at that.

“How did she look?”

“Like an angel, buts that not the point!” Sweetie Belle argued, tapping her hoof. “What do you think could cause such a turn in her personality?”

Twilight thought about it for a moment before something came to her. “Wait, you said she was doing this because she was scared of Mac was thinking of her?” Sweetie nodded, Rarity had left the filly-fooler part out for her sister's innocent mind shouldn't be tainted yet. She was only ten after all, no need to know something like that yet.

“Hm...” She continued to think, before something clicked. “Well. I do know that her crush on Mac is about six months old at least...Most mares have crushes that last about a month and then move on.” She observed, rushing over to collect book about the Elements of Harmony.

“I thought you didn't have those anymore?” Sweetie Belle asked, observing what Twilight was doing before realising something. “Hey! Where's Spike?”

“Playing with Applebloom and Scootaloo on the farm.”

“Aww...I'm missing out!” Sweetie complained, huffing.

“I'll try to make this quick then...” Twilight started before finding the information specifically about the Element of Loyalty. “And as for your earlier question, the answer is yes we don't have them, but the Elements never affected our behaviour. They picked us because of our behaviour. Rainbow was an incredibly loyal pony so the Element of Loyalty picked her.” She explained, before finding the info she needed.

“Here we go! If the Element of Loyalty were to ever fall in love, their loyalty to that stallion or mare could outweigh even the element bearers sense of self...Basically, it's saying that Rainbow is trying to appeal to Mac by any means necessary since she thinks her usual behaviour wasn't working...” She continued to read, fascinated by this new information.

“It also says that the element bearer's loyalty for said significant other could measure up to levels of obsession and guilt...If he/she so much as looks at another stallion or mare they'd feel they were cheating on the one they have fallen for.” Twilight mentioned, finally finishing the chapter with one last piece of information.

“It is, therefore, extremely rare for an element bearer of Loyalty to fall in love. They would only be able to fall for their soul mate.” She read out loud, a little shocked. “B-but Rainbow and Mac are SO different!”

“So are Thunderlane and Rarity, but they've been going steady for six months.” Sweetie Belle replied, raising an eyebrow.

“But a relationship is based on similarities and matching personalities!” Sweetie Belle shook her head.

“Twilight, if I learned anything from my sister, it'd be this. You can't EVER predict love, no matter how much you research or study the subject...” She said. Twilight decided against letting the filly know that research and study were basically antonyms and let her continue. “It's a magical thing that strikes when you least expect it...”

Twilight looked a little closer and noticed a small blush on the little Unicorn's cheeks. “...I should know...” She whispered before rushing out, heading towards the Boutique, not noticing a sky blue Pegasus flying towards the farm.


Big Mac and Applejack sat on the porch of the farmhouse, Soarin lazing on the bench to the side. The blue stallion had no Wonderbolt training today, but decided to help around the farm, claiming he didn't want to go to his house to his many adorning fans/stalkers.

“Whew, we got a good haul today. We even managed ta git tomorrow's chores done too.” Applejack mentioned, turning to head inside. “Thanks fer all yer help today, Soarin, we mighty appreciate it.”

“Eeyup!” Confirmed her brother, moving his stalk of wheat in his mouth. Soarin grinned, nodding.

“You bet, I always love helping my friends...Plus if it gets me away from the crazy mares outside my house then I'm all game for helping any time you want!” He replied.

“Well Ah reckon ya could stay fer dinner if'n ya want.” She offered, before adding. “We got pie~!”

At the word pie, Soarin shot up straight, looking around like a blood hound for a criminal. “Pie! Where?! Must have!” Applejack and Mac got a good laugh out of his act, which snapped him out of it and rubbed the back of his head, sheepishly. “I mean sure, sounds good...”

“Alright, Ah'll go tell Granny ta set up an extra plate. Mac, you git Applebloom. She should be at her clubhouse wit' Winona, Spike an' tha other crusaders.”

“Eeyup.” Mac replied as she disappeared behind the door, though he did notice Soarin watching after her, fondly and chuckled to himself, causing the Wonderbolt to jolt in surprise, forgetting he had company.

“Uh...Sorry I...uh...”

“Relax. Ah ain't gonna whoop ya fer likin' ma sis.” Soarin let out a visible sigh of relief. “However... If'n ya hurt her...”

Soarin withered at Mac's intense glare at this point. “Y'all can try ta run. Ya can try ta hide, but it won't matter. Cause Ah have a particular set o' skills. Ah will look for you...Ah will find you...An' Ah will kill you...”

The Wonderbolt nodded, suddenly feel like he was talking to his old drill instructor. “Understood sir!” He saluted to which Mac chuckled.

“Well then, we have an understandin'. Sorry fer goin' all Liam Neighson on ya like tha'.” Soarin chuckled a little nervously.

“I knew I heard that line somewhere but that's okay; you're her brother. I'd be worried if you didn't threaten me.” He replied, before walking into the farmhouse. “Better hurry, I think I hear Applejack walking waking towards the dinner bell.”

“Eeyup.” He replied, trotting towards his littlest sister's clubhouse.

“Oh wait!” He turned to Soarin, raising an eyebrow. “Me, Thunderlane and Cheese meet up every month to play cards at the same time the girls meet up to go to the spa. I was just wondering if you wanted to join us? We're friends after all.”

“Friends...” Mac thought, eyes widening a little. “I...I-I have friends...”

Mac hadn't really made a friend since Caramel because of how socially awkward he was. So he was obviously taken by surprise by Soarin's comment. But it sent a massive wave of joy through him while he thought about it. “I have friends!”

“Eeyup!” He replied, enthusiastically causing Soarin to smile.

“Great! Sugarcube Corner this Sunday at eight okay?” Mac nodded. “Great! Don't worry about bringing anything, new guy don't need to worry about that.” Soarin explained. It was a little rule the three made so that, if they invited anyone, it wouldn't seem like they were just using said pony.

“Sounds good. Ah'll be there.” He replied, continuing his trip to the clubhouse, not noticing a mare following him.


“Applebloom! Dinnertime!” Mac called up to the clubhouse, causing a yellow face to pop out.

“Alright, big bro. Would it be okay if Scoots, Sweetie an' Spike stayed fer dinner.” She asked, putting on the famous and irresistible puppy dog look.

“Aw...If'n Granny made enough Ah'm sure it should be fine.” Mac replied, causing her to cheer.

“Alright, come girls and Spike!” She called, as the four of them rushed towards the house, Winona following after them excitedly. Mac shook his head and smiled.

“They need ta eat less sugar...”

“Mac...?” A quiet voice asked from behind him, causing him to turn.

And what faced him caused his eyes to widen and jaw to drop so low that the straw in his mouth fell out. For standing before him was the brand new Rainbow Dash.

Her mane had been styled so that each colour had a single braid that separated each colour from the other, her tail in much the same fashion. She had a small bit of darker blue eye shadow high-lighting her magenta toned irises nicely.

Her lips had a small amount of lip gloss to allow them to shine slightly in the setting sun's rays. Her ears had a set of blue sapphire ear-rings in. Her wings seemed to shine a little too, almost as if she had spent more than the necessary amount of time to preen them.

She blushed a bit at his reaction, but laughed a bit. “Wh-what do you think?” She asked, smiling a bit.

“...wow...” He replied, looking over her for the second time, almost as if he couldn't believe this was the same mare that was bowling with him earlier.

“Is...I-is that a good wow?” She asked, in a more Fluttershy kind of way than her own.

“Eeyup...” He replied, finally managing to snap out of his stupor. “What's tha occasion, Miss Dash?”

“Um...No occasion really...And can you maybe not call me Miss Dash?” Mac shuffled a bit, blushing slightly.

“Sorry but Ma pa taught me ta always treat a lady with the utmost respect.” He replied, causing her to blush further.

“He thinks I'm a lady! It's working!” She thought, giddily. Mac ran a hoof over the back of his head.

“But really, no occasion...Well what made ya want ta pretty yerself up more than ya already were?” He froze after he said that, completely unaware of what he said until after he said it.

“A-already were...He thought I was pretty BEFORE this?” She thought, now even more flattered and excited.

When she didn't answer, Mac decided to take a guess. “Were ya tryin' ta ge some stallion's attention?”

“He doesn't think I'm a filly-fooler!” She cheered before she decided that she should answer the unusually talkative stallion. “Got it in one, Big Guy.” She replied, fluttering her eyelashes at him like she and Rarity had practised.

“Uh...” He had sussed that she was actually trying to impress him if her actions were anything to go by. “W-well...Ah can say it worked...Extremely well...” He replied, to which Rainbow giggled. A very un-Rainbow thing to do, but she was so happy and giddy right now that she couldn't find herself caring.

“I agree...” She replied, sauntering up to the red work horse, looking up at the large stallion realising that she was actually quite lithe and small in comparison, at least a head shorter and much thinner. She leaned up onto her backhooves and rested her forehooves on his large shoulders.

In the back of his mind, he knew that he had to get back to the farm house or his family would get worried, but the large majority of his scrambled thoughts just didn't care. It told him that he wanted an opportunity like this, ever since he had met this colourful pony this morning.

Rainbow's lips drew tantalisingly close to his own, so much so that he noticed she smelled a lot like fresh rain water after a summer storm. A very pleasant smell to this farmer since he had worked in the aftermath of many of these storms before.

Rainbow, could in turn, smell him back. It wasn't at all like she expected, mainly because she couldn't smell even a trace of apple on him. He smelled of wood pine and a little bit sweat after a hard days work. It was a smell she could immediately tell that she couldn't live without. She had never needed something as much as she needed him!

It drove her to place her lips over his, finally ending the tension that had grown between the two as the passion of the moment over took them. Everything around the pair seemed to melt away as their lips pressed together, neither wanting the moment to end.

Although all good things have to come to end as the orange mare, more commonly known as Applejack trotted up the path way, calling out to him. “Mac what's keepin'...ya...” She faltered, seeing the two break away and facing her, caught red hoofed.

Time stood still for the three, each looking at one another waiting for someone to break the tension, Rainbow still had her hooves on his shoulders, but one of Mac's hooves had found it's way to her mane as well.

Suddenly, Applejack smiled and cheered. “AW YEAH! AH WON THA BET!” She revealed, happily, hugging the two. “It's about time too!”

“Uh...” The red and blue ponies let out, turning to face each other.

“Ah'll go tell Granny ta git another plate! Looks like we 'ave a full house tonight!” She continued, turning to gallop towards the house. “Don't take too long!”

A silence hung in the air for a bit, both a bit confused by Applejack's reaction. “Huh...Maybe bein' related ta Pinkie isn't as far fetched as Ah thought...” Mac muttered before the two burst out laughing at what had transpired.

After regaining some composure, Rainbow reached up and pecked Mac on the cheek. “Are you doing anything tomorrow?” She asked.

“Nnnope. Jus' feeding tha animals tomorrow. We got enough chores done today so we can take tomorrow off.”

“Well...Did you want to go get lunch together? You know...like a date?” She asked, meekly to which Mac smiled, widely.

“Ah'd be delighted ta...” He then added as an after thought. “But ya don't hafta dress up if'n ya don't wanna.” He said, causing her to look up in surprise. “Yer perfect no matter what ya do.”

“Th-thank you!” She cried, hugging the red horse, feeling her chest warm her entire body as he stroked her back as well. She knew, right then and there, that this was the stallion for her. Somepony who accepted her and didn't make any assumptions about her...

...she found somepony to love.

Comments ( 27 )

This was really sweet! I do think that the whole "Element of Loyalty" explanation was kinda silly, though. It would have fit much better, and fit Dash's character better, if it was just her secret insecurity. It's always talked about in the fandom that she has issues with confidence, especially in dealing with romance, so it would have worked just fine. To bring in the Elements just seems a bit too silly.

Still, I enjoyed this a lot. Hope to see more soon.:ajsmug:

Also, MacDash is the OTP! :eeyup::heart::rainbowkiss:

4163884 Yeah, I felt a little silly writing about the Element too, especially since she doesn't have it anymore but...I was actually unaware of the insecurity thing. :derpytongue2:

I'm glad you enjoyed it, thanks for reading :pinkiehappy:

4163922

Not a problem! Any idea when we can look forward to moar? :pinkiehappy:

4163949 Well, I used to be a PinkieMaccer until I found out they maybe cousins, so RainbowMac ecame my new OTP, so I guess not too long. My mind works strangely. There is RainbowMac in A Day in Ponyville, the story this one branches from, but other than that I'm not sure.

Sorry, but I can't really fathom how my brain works...Too scared to scratch the surface. :pinkiecrazy:

Daaaaaaawwwww.....da feels man, da feels

I like what I have read so far! Can't wait for more!

Like the story, found a few of Murphies finest that I know you would want to know about. Nothing big but why let him mess with a good story.

[little rule the three made s] dropped the (o)

Big red work [house] (horse) ?

[Comparrison] (Comparison)

Waiting for more.

4164201 Hopefully I fixed it, I'm still slightly getting used to the site.:derpytongue2:

4164200 I'm glad you enjoyed it. I hope to find an excuse to right more RainbowMac soon :pinkiehappy:

4164055 Da feels indeed :fluttercry:...........:derpytongue2:

Yeah. Great first story. I can't wait for the next one. Keep me posted on when it comes out. Great job.

4164516 Thank you very much and I'll try. Don't know which pair I'll do next. My mind is strange :derpytongue2:

I like it! And the part about the element could be left, but It made sense. Does AJ really won the bet? who else was on that?

This was awesome :rainbowkiss:

4164843 The bet was mentoined by Thunderlane, but now it seems it went a bit further than just the Wonderbolts...contingancy error on my part :derpytongue2: I'm glad you enjoyed :pinkiehappy:

4166368 'm glad you enjoyed it, thanks for the kind words :pinkiehappy:

:ajbemused::ajbemused::ajbemused::ajbemused::ajbemused:
:pinkiegasp::pinkiegasp::pinkiegasp::pinkiegasp::pinkiegasp:
:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:


I love this story!!!!

RAINBOWMAC!!! :rainbowkiss::heart::eeyup:

splaying her six limbs out

4357238 Um...By that I meant her four legs and two wings adding to six in total...Does a wing not count as a limb then? :applejackunsure:

:rainbowkiss: I love this!

AWH YEAH! AH WON THA BET!

That made me laugh so hard:rainbowlaugh:

Keep it up!
:rainbowwild:

Such a sweet story!

“Sorry about being late, but Spike wanted a little help gathering some fireworks...Something about Cutie Mark Crusader Demolitions Team?” They all looked at her in confusion, to which she shrugged. “Please don't ask.”

Okay that's just worried some 😰 those kids are something else good times I miss those days

“What do you mean by that?!” She accused, turning away. “I was not...n-not acting differe...” She trailed off when her eyes caught said stallion waiting his turn after Twilight to order some food.

Somebody is in love

“I-is...I-is this why nopony asked me to my flight camp prom...Or w-why nopony asked me out on Hearts and Hooves day...Because they though I was...gay...” The two stepped away from the cyan mare, afraid she would suddenly attack something...or someone.

And that's why you can't assume about the just because of the look poor rainbow

“Please Rarity! Make me more mare like! Dress me up! Use make-up! Do my hair! Use me as a mannequin for all I care but please! I can't have him think I'm batting for the other team!”

Whoa whoa okay slow down I understand your desperate and everything but let's take it slow and easy I'm sure he'll like you rainbow

“But a relationship is based on similarities and matching personalities!” Sweetie Belle shook her head.

Apparently you don't know about the opposite attracts

Mac hadn't really made a friend since Caramel because of how socially awkward he was. So he was obviously taken by surprise by Soarin's comment. But it sent a massive wave of joy through him while he thought about it. “I have friends!”

Awww that's actually nice that he's got friends

Her mane had been styled so that each colour had a single braid that separated each colour from the other, her tail in much the same fashion. She had a small bit of darker blue eye shadow high-lighting her magenta toned irises nicely.

Her lips had a small amount of lip gloss to allow them to shine slightly in the setting sun's rays. Her ears had a set of blue sapphire ear-rings in. Her wings seemed to shine a little too, almost as if she had spent more than the necessary amount of time to preen them.

Oh my apparently Rainbow Dash dressed up in style if anybody knows the reference

Well I got to say this was a pretty nice story and nice way for Big Mac to hang out with the others so he doesn't feel left out but apparently he's been kind of antisocialists ever since caramel left but it looks like things change when Applejack insist him he will come and hang out with the others and it turns out he had a pretty good time especially with Rainbow Dash at the bowling alley and apparently rainbow is having some feelings for this dude but after the bowling Rarity and thunder Lane told rainbow that she's in love with Big Macintosh but apparently she also realize something that all of her life that she was never been ask by other guys because of her look not only that they all thought that she was a lesbian and that kind of hurt her because now she has to figure out to change her love to impress Big Mac with Rarity's help she change her appearances for him but somehow Big Mac likes her the way she is and Rainbow Dash felt really happy about that and that's pretty nice I like that keep up the good work

Login or register to comment