• Published 24th Mar 2014
  • 462 Views, 3 Comments

The Compendium of Love - Craine



In which Craine attacks the 'feels' meter with a flaming katana, and pokes everyone's inner thirteen-year-old who's never been kissed. With that katana.

  • ...
5
 3
 462

Adorably Stupid

Adorably Stupid

By Craine

Pinkie Pie didn’t always like Rarity.

She’d never actually say that, of course. But the temptations were there. They were always there. Every time Rainbow Dash laughed at jokes that weren’t funny. Or every time Rainbow would take to the sky with Rarity instead of her.

And worst of all, the unforgivable sin that left Pinkie scowling into the wind: when Rainbow enjoyed lips that weren’t pink.

When Rarity talked about clothing designs, business lingo, or high society—things Rainbow would pretend to know. When Rarity swooned with every whiff of that gorgeous, colorful mane. When Rarity pretended that she’d be there to see Rainbow shine when she became a Wonderbolt.

It was all a lie. It had to be. And every time Pinkie watched that shameless unicorn bury her face into Rainbow’s, she told that to herself so many times. And so many times did Pinkie wave their concerns away with a wobbly smile. Or try to find reasons to love the smile she wasn’t responsible for. Even if Rarity had caused it.

Especially if Rarity had caused it.

**********

Rarity wasn’t always fond of Rainbow Dash.

It seemed silly, at first. But it was there. Every temptation to yank Rainbow by the tail and threaten her with bodily harm, was… well, it was sometimes there.

It was clearly justified, Rarity believed. Surely allowing somepony as radiant as Pinkie Pie into Rainbow’s embrace, was a crime worthy of death. Yet, Rarity would always watch it happen. She would always stare with pursed lips and a bitten tongue.

Pinkie would talk, making sunny days impossibly brighter with her smile, and Rainbow would pretend to listen. It wasn’t fair. Pinkie deserved somepony who cared about other’s happiness as much as she did. Pinkie deserved to laugh with somepony that didn’t always need a reason to laugh. Pinkie deserved somepony that actually enjoyed baking with her. And Rarity simply couldn’t make Pinkie see that. She couldn’t make Pinkie see the terrible mistake she made every day.

Rarity couldn’t pull those lips apart.

But, of course, Rarity never could.

**********

Rainbow Dash couldn’t always tolerate Pinkie Pie.

This was nothing new. But it would stab at her to see Pinkie laugh—with Rarity. It would hurt to see that glossy, purple mane bounce alongside Pinkie, laughing, dropping her guard in a way Rainbow could never inspire.

Naturally, Rainbow never said anything. It was always easier to zoom ahead, and leave the bouncing pair in her wind-whistling dust. Rainbow would always come back hours later, hoping it’d be over, hoping she’d return to a lonely unicorn starving for attention.

Of course, Rainbow was never that lucky.

It was hard—really quite impossible—to understand why Rarity would smile so wide around Pinkie. Why did Rarity laugh so hard when Pinkie told a joke? Why didn’t laying on uncovered grass bother Rarity when Pinkie lied next to her? Why did Rarity shudder when Pinkie whispered in her ear?

Rainbow couldn’t answer those questions. Not really.

And night after night, watching Rarity moan into lips that weren’t hers, and gaze lovingly into eyes that weren’t hers, Rainbow may never answer those questions. Maybe Rainbow frowned at the pair because she knew it. And maybe she smiled at them because she didn’t care.

Or maybe they were all stupid. So very, adorably stupid.

Author's Note:

Another shorty from the late Thirty Minute Pony Stories. I must admit, I smiled the whole time I wrote this, and reading still gives me a little smirk here and there.

Good times...

The Compendium continues!

Comments ( 1 )

Or every time Rainbow would take to the sky with Rarity instead of instead of her.

Glad you published this--it really brightened up my IT lesson to read this cute little thing again.

And yes, I should be doing my powerpoint right now.

Login or register to comment