• Published 15th Mar 2014
  • 1,710 Views, 8 Comments

Lyra of Avaira - ArtichokeLust



After Celestia nearly kills a human in front of everypony, Lyra goes back to Avaira--the land of the griffins, where humans are sacred--to tell them the news.

  • ...
8
 8
 1,710

Plutus 21, 3121 AC

Lyra Heartstring's Journal
Plutus 21, 3121 AC



I woke up, yawned, and stretched. BonBon was still sleeping, and apparently some time through the night she decided to use me as a teddy bear. I lightly pulled her off me... (1)

Time to make breakfast.

I trotted out of the bedroom and into the kitchen, and made salad sandwiches for me and BonBon. Then I made omelets from Dom and Clair. (I knew humans' diets were pretty similar to griffins'.)

I brought the first sandwhich to BonBon and held it directly in front of her face, hoping the smell would wake her up...

It didn't.

"BonBon!" I yelled quietly... Still no waking.

I set the breakfast down on the nightstand.

"Wake up!" I jumped up on the bed beside her and started hopping.

"Wah!" She panicked, and looked at me grumpily once I stopped, "What?" She rubbed her eyes.

"I made you breakfast," I smiled.

She blinked a couple times, then sniffed out the sandwich on her nightstand.

"Thanks," She smiled lazily.

I hopped off the bed...

I trotted out of my room and towards the human duo sleeping in t couch...

They were certainly hugging it out... What was their relation again?

I narrowed my eyes and sniffed the air...

Well, nothing seemed off.

I prodded Dom with an omelette plate.

He tensed up. Clair hugged him harder.

"...Lyra will protect us..." Clair muttered in her sleep.

D'aww...

...

But letting ponies--er, people--sleep in was boring...

"Breakfast time, sleepyheads!" I yelled. Honestly, I loved doing that.

"Gah!" Dom and Clair started panicking under the bed-sheets.

I stepped out of the way as they fell into a pile on the floor, tangled in their bed sheets. I couldn't help but chuckle at the sight.

They looked over at me in embarrassment once they were somewhat freed, then noticed the omelets. They both smiled in hope and gratitude.

"Are those for us?" Dom asked.

"Mhmm!" I nodded happily.

They eagerly grabbed the plates out of my magic.

"Thanks!" Dom and Clair said in unison.

...I watched them eat for a couple seconds, then noticed somepony was still missing from the meeting.

"Hey BonBon!" I yelled to the bedroom, "Don't be a recluse!"

She groaned... But I could hear the sound of trotting. Soon BonBon was here, with her plate balanced on her head.

We ate contently in silence... I guess we were all satisfied enough that everyone was still okay. Perhaps we agreed we needed a moment of silence to counteract the hectic last few days. Whatever it was, it was comfortable.

Dom and Clair were incredibly polite. They washed their dishes when they finished, unlike some ponies... and Dom thanked me again.

"You already thanked me once," I smirked. "I heard you the first time."

"Uh," Dom shied back, "Sorry."

Clair and I gave him a wry look.

"Well..." I shrugged, "Oh yeah! Do you want to come with me to Avaira!"

Their eyes both widened once reminded of the subject, "Yes!" They practically shouted in unison.

"Goodness," I acted shocked and hurt, but smiled wryly, "You don't have to be that eager to leave Ponyville."

"Well..." Dom frowned and looked off to the side, "We were kind of--"

"Yeah," I interrupted, "It was a joke," I smirked. then I frowned, "You were kind of physically beaten at every turn from what I heard. I'd be surprised if you didn't want to leave."

Dom frowned guiltily. "Well," he shrugged, "what other kind of bea--"

"Hey," I waved my hooves, "What are you looking guilty for?"

"--Uh..." He looked caught. And he looked a bit embarrassed because of it.

"Stop that!" I snapped. Then I laughed a bit.

I saw Clair smile some.

I let the moment last a few seconds longer.

"Anyway," I smiled with a bit less energy than usual, "You guys are coming with me to Avaira, so... make sure to say goodbye to whatever friends you made here."

They nodded solemnly.



It was time to say goodbye...

I wasn't like the more privileged unicorns like Twilight Sparkle or Celestia who could send letters via dragon flame. Maybe when I got to a city I could do that... Maybe. They didn't have nearly as many dragons in Avaira...

No, when I said goodbye to my friends, I was saying goodbye... I wouldn't see them for years... And it was heart-breaking to have to say it...

But it was worse not to.

I finally stopped holding the door open and walked outside. (Dom and Clair had left a while ago.)

It was time to see my favorite musical duo.


"Hey!" Vinyl Scratch opened her door and greeted me with her signature tomboyishness.

"Hey!" I tried to smile back, but it didn't quite match my usual smile.

"What's up?" Her smile faded as she tilted her head. She noticed.

"...Is Octavia there?" I asked.

"Nah..." Vinyl frowned and shook her head, "She's playing at a concert now..." She smiled at me, "But what's up? I haven't seen you since that crazy debate! Are you okay?" (2)

"Yeah..." I smiled sadly, "But..." I sighed...

She tilted her head.

"I'll be leaving soon..." I said.

She frowned...

"Well," She sighed, frowning, "It'll be hard performing without the life of the party..." She forced a smile, "But good luck."

She looked down. I could tell she didn't want me to go...

"Dang it!" She choked, "I wanna come with you!" She leaped forward and hugged me.

"You can't..." I hugged her back.

"I know..." She let go and sat back awkwardly. She smiled, "Now I gotta tell Octy she missed saying goodbye to the great Lλra!"

"Oh," I smirked, "don't be like that... Besides, I never agreed to that name"

"Why not!?" She threw her hooves out, "It's awesome!"

"It's also not my name," I gave her a funny look, "I'm not a DJ."

"You totally should be," She laughed. "But nah..." She smiled sadly, "I'll just tell her you said bye..."

I smiled at her one last time...


I knocked on the door to sugar-cube corner.

"Hello?" Mr. Cake said in his trademark corny voice.

"Hi," I answered back sadly... "Is Pinkie here?"

"Uh..." He tapped his chin, "No, I think she's at Twilight's."

I walked off the porch...


"Hello?" Twilight answered, "Oh--"

"Is Pinkie there?" I asked before she could say anything else.

She tilted her head, "Yeah, she is, but--"

"Thanks," I trotted past her, keeping my sad demeanor.

"Oh hey!" Dom waved.

Dom was standing with the famous and irate looking Elements of Harmony while Clair was playing chess with Spike. Clair looked up from her game of chess.

"Hey," I smiled sadly.

"Lyra?" Pinkie asked, shocked, "why are you all mopey dopey"

"I'll be leaving soon," I answered.

Pinkie gasped.

"We'll have to throw you a going away party!"

"There's no time," I said. "I'll probably be leaving tomorrow..."

"Then I need to act fast!" Pinkie dashed out the door. A puff of pink smoke was left in her wake.

"So you said your goodbyes?" I asked Dom.

"I was going to say goodbye to Fluttershy," Dom said, "but she doesn't seem to be..."

...A look of horror slowly spread across his face. Clair had the same expression.

"What?" I asked, "She doesn't seem to be what?"

I tilted my head, "Yellow? A pegasus? On fire? It'd be good if she wasn't on--"

"Shut up for a moment you adorable pony," Dom said without thinking.

Everypony except Rainbow Dash cringed. Interesting...

"Well, what?" Rainbow Dash asked impatiently.

"When Tia fired that beam--"

"Celes-tia," Twilight corrected, "Princess Cel--"

"Shut up," Dom interupted again. "When princess laser-happy lasered her laser, what direction was the laser lasering?"

Clair, Dash, and I giggled. Spike looked uncomfortably amused. Twilight, Rarity, and Applejack looked disgusted.

Dash stopped giggling...

She swallowed and looked off in some direction... "Oh no..."

"What?" Rarity asked.

Twilight tilted her head.

Applejack sighed, frustrated, "Since no one else wants to say it... Celetia's--"

"Are we all deciding not to call her princess anymore?" Rarity asked.

"Not after what she did!" Applejack snarled, "A good portion of my farm's been destroyed, so don't y'all be surprised if there are a lot fewer imported goods," she frowned... "But even more of the Everfree was destroyed, and along with it, probably..." She swallowed, "many of the animals Fluttershy speaks to..."

A silence came over the room...

"So," I interrupted it, "who wants snacks?"

Most of the ponies gave me shocked looks.

"Actually--" Dom started.

"Checkmate!" Clair pumped her right arm.

"Wha?" Spike re-examined the chess-board, "aarrrggh..."

"Aww... Don't worry..." Clair patted Spike on the head, "You're much better than I was at you're age--"

"You're two," Dom gave her a strange look.

"What!?" everypony exclaimed at once. That one was new even for me.

Clair glared at him, "Thanks for telling everyone my age... prick."

He shrank back, "Sorry..."

"You're two?" Spike asked, "...this is like being beaten by the Cake twins..."

"Well, I'm a tulpa, and I have access to all of Dom's strategies--"

"How does that work?" Twilight interrupted, curious.

Clair shrugged.

Twilight slumped.

"...Anyway," Dom got up, "I guess we'll be heading over to Fluttershy's"

"Me too!" Rianbow Dash flew down beside him.

"Don't forget us," Twilight said, leading Rarity and Applejack.

"Uh, no offense," Dom held his palm outwards toward Twilight, "but I don't think Fluttershy wants to see you."

"Why not?" She asked, offended.

"Well--" He started.

"Even if you're right," Clair interrupted, "does that matter?" she stood up, "She should at least see her friend. She'll find out whether or not she wants to be seen when she gets there."

Twilight looked back and forth between them, confused. "Why wouldn't she want to see me?"

Dom frowned, "After Celestia fired that laser that destroyed part of the Everfree, you fired a few of your own."

"Oh..." Twilight frowned.

Dom stroked his chin with his finger and thumb in thought...

"Maybe you should give her a gift..." he thought, "maybe medical supplies?"

Twilight glared at him, "well now it's your gift..."

"not really," Dom shook his head, "with your royal status, you could get some of the more advanced healing spells and items."

Twilight blinked... "Fine," she sighed "give me a second..."

She ran upstairs and returned with a small box, "that should do it..."

I leaned toward the box along with everyone else.

"Don't open it," Twilight glared at Dom...


I walked with Twilight's friends over to Fluttershy's house, curious about how things would go...

Rainbow Dash knocked...

Discord opened the door...

"Whoa!" Rainbow Dash flew back in surprise, "what are you doing here!?" She flew forward and pushed her muzzle against Discord's.

Discord shied back and held his claws over his heart, "Why, I was just comforting Fluttershy after somebody decided to blow up the Everfree forest!"

Rainbow Dash shied back, "...yeah, okay..." she cringed, "...we kind of just realized that just happened..."

"Very well, come in," Discord shrugged and held the door.

"Thanks!" Dom and I said as I walked past him... It was saddening how little ponies--or griffins for that matter--ever said thank you after they had a door held open for them.

I looked around inside, and noticed Clair hadn't followed. I looked back, she was standing by Discord, looking at him strangely. It was like she had something important to say, but couldn't find the words.

No...

She was gaping and involuntarily holding her hand over her heart as she leaned slightly towards him.

"Uh..." she started shyly.

"Yes?" He asked, "You know I can't hold the door all day..."

No way...

At that point I had to be both cocking my head and jutting it out at them, staring in the most obvious way... but was that really a thing?

Her eyes widened and she shook herself. It looked as if someone dumped cold water on her.

"Uh..." she said, "I just wanted to say: we'll be heading to Avaira sometime soon, and... I just wanted to say goodbye..." She hugged him awkwardly.

"Uh," Discord leaned away from her grip, "there there?" he tried to pat her on her head, but she faded completely out of reality and reappeared a few feet in front of him. He staggered backwards for a second before righting himself.

"Can you come with us?" She smiled up at him hopefully, responding before he could protest about being dropped.

He looked back down at her, then slowly, an evil grin spread across his face. On no, I needed to warn her!

But Clair caught on quick. She frowned, offended. No, she was pissed!

"Don't think you can manipulate me just because I like you," she glared at him, "are you coming or not?"

Discord frowned, "I'll have to stay with Fluttershy for a while longer..."

"But you can visit us..." She pleaded, "you can teleport over to us, or fly over or something."

Discord shrugged, "Uh, sure..."

Clair smiled with glee and hugged him again. Just when he was about to try and use his claws and paw to push her away, she faded out.

"...I know..." I heard her say to someone behind me...

...

"What are you looking at?" Discord narrowed his eyes at me.

"Uh..." I noticed I had been staring, "Nothing!" I said, "Nothing at all..."

I turned back around to look at everyone else. Rainbow Dash was near the ceiling, away from everypony else. She looked like she was rehearsing something.

"Hey Rainbow Dash!" I called, "You seem pretty cool, and you don't seem to have a job... Wanna come with us to Avaira?"

Rainbow Dash stopped what she was doing and gave me an offended glace.

"'Don't have a job!?'" She repeated, "I'm ponyville's weather leader! That's like, right next to being the mayor!"

"You are!?" I blinked.

"Hay yes I am!" She almost shouted back at me...

...

Well, things were certainly interesting, but I didn't feel like I belonged; almost none of those ponies were my friends.

I walked back towards the door.

"thanks," I said to Discord, who forgot to close the door.

"Leaving so soon?" He raised an eyebrow at me.

"I don't really belong here," I answered, "and I need to say goodbye to a few more friends."

"Hmph..." He shrugged, crossed his arms, and closed the door behind me.


I knocked on the door to Note Worthy's house...

"Lyra!" He smiled, "What brings you here?"

"Lyra?" Berry Punch shouted from further inside the house, "Lyra's here?" she ran up.

"Yup," I smiled.

"Lyra!" Berry Punch tackle hugged me, "I thought you got fried from Celetia's--"

"Princess Celestia--" Note Worthy corrected.

"Buck that!" Berry Punch interrupted, "I'm not calling her 'princess' after she fired her death beam that close to Lyra!"

Note Worthy hesitated for a second, then shrugged.

"I'm fine," I smiled.

"Really?" Berry Punch grabbed my face, "because I wouldn't be fine. You just saw two talking animals--"

"Humans," I corrected.

"-- Whatever-- animals get shot in front of you! I'd be shaking for weeks!"

I picked up my hoof and examine it... It was hard to keep it still.

"Well," I said, "I'll probably have some jitters for a while-- And oh yeah," I grinned, "the humans are fine."

"Really?" Note Worthy and Berry Punch said at once.

"Yeah," I grinned, "they used some freaky illusion magic to trick Celestia."

"Really?" They still weren't convinced.

"You'll hear some news about how her horn got broken soon," I smirked.

"Really!?" They looked surprised.

"Doesn't that hurt?" Berry Punch asked, "Like a lot?"

"Yeah, I'd imagine," I cringed and covered my horn, "It hurts just to have these things flicked!"

They both tried to imagine it...

"But that's not why I came here," I frowned...

"...I'll be leaving pretty soon... So I wanted to say goodbye."

"Really?" Berry Punch slumped.

"Aww..." Note Worthy slumped.

"Yeah, I gotta deliver the news to Avaira," I said.

"Oh..." They frowned.

"Yeah..." I started to turn around...

"Wait a second!" Berry Punch stopped me, "You haven't received your goodbye hug!"

I smiled as the pair enveloped me in their warm embrace...

...

"Oh!" Berry Punch let go of me, (I almost fell,) and dashed back into the home, "Where is it?"

"Where's what?" Note Worthy called back.

"Got it!" she ran back to the door.

When she came back, she was carrying a large bottle of wine.

"This is from my best batch," She smiled.

I smiled at her, "thanks," then grinned at the beverage, "I think I know exactly where to use this..."

"Really?" She asked.

"Yeah," I grinned, "Right after I reveal the news to everygriffin, I'll pop this open to celebrate everything!"

The pair smiled...

"...Take care!" Berry Punch said.

"Good luck!" Note Worthy said...


Nurse Red Heart looked at me, "Another repetitive stress injury?" She looked at me with weary eyes.

"Nope," I shook my head, "I just wanted to say goodbye. I'm leaving soon."

"Really?" She frowned, "Where to?"

"Avaira," I answered, "Did I tell you about--"

"Yes," She interrupted quickly, "You did..."

I looked at her. She looked sad, but she wasn't offering me a hug like everypony else...

So I offered her a hug instead.


I walked back to my house, but something seemed off...

Well, the lights were off...

I opened the door.



Imagine my astonishment when I saw that my house was converted into a rave.

Pinkie and all of my friends were there.

I was impressed. Not about the party, but about the fact that my friends, and only my friends were there. A lot of the time Pinkie either tried to shove the whole town into a party, or just whoever wanted to come.

I walked over to Pinkie.

"Do you have some sort of diagram with everyone's frienships in Ponyville?" I asked, curious how she managed to remember everypony's friends.

"How'd you know!?" Pinkie gasped, smiling, "I just made this huge graph of everyone in ponyville, so whenever somepony needs a party, I can select all of the ears connected to them. That way, everypony has at least two friends, and still as many friends as possible can come!" She grinned.

"Ears?" I tilted my head and scratched my ear.

Pinkie giggled, "No silly," she put her hoof to her chin in thought, "more like circles." She traced a circle with her front hooves, "circles of friends?"

"Oh!" I said, "Then why call it them ears?"

"Cause that's what they're called," Pinkie smiled at me like I said something else silly.

I shrugged, "Well, thanks. I like this a lot more than having all of Ponyville invited," I smiled.

"Thanks!" Pinkie grinned, "But I don't want to keep you from any of your friends," she gave me a toothy smile, "go do fun! I wanna see how it worked out!"

I walked over to Vinyl.

"Hey," she smiled, "it looks like you're not leaving so soon!"

"Yeah," I smiled, "well, I'm still leaving soon, but not immediately."

"Oh yeah!" Vinyl jumped, "Octy should be here," she looked around...

"There!" She pointed her hoof. I looked over and saw Octavia and Pinkie arguing about something...



"Look," Octavia said, "I'm impressed that you managed to travel to Canterlot on such short notice to invite me to a party with my--" She looked over at Vinyl... "--associate. But I don't think I'm needed here; Vinyl doesn't seem to need any help with violins, cellos, or any stringed instruments." she frowned and suddenly narrowed her eyes at Pinkie, "And, I still don't forgive you for ruining my performance at the gala..." She glared.

"You mean that boring performance that I spiced up with my Poney Pokey song?" Pinkie smiled.

Octavia had a look of pure rage in her eyes... It was probably a good thing that I decided to walk over and try to cool things down.

"Hey guys!" I waved.

Octavia caught herself and breathed in and out, calming herself.

"Hey!" Pinkie grinned and waved.

"Oh," Octavia smiled, "hello Lyra. I haven't seen you in a while..." she sighed, "and thanks, I was having a hard time not punching a hole in the pink one's throat."

Pinkie covered her throat with a hoof and backed away.

"Yeah, she can be frustrating sometimes," I shrugged, "but she means well."

Octavia clenched her teeth, "She treated me and my band like some jukebox one would find at a cheap bar at the last gala!"

Pinkie continued backing away...

"She what?" I raised an eyebrow.

Octavia sighed... She looked at me with teary eyes and pointed behind her, "That pink menace came up and made a suggestion for the 'poney pokey', which was tolerable by itself... But then she started insulting many of our guests on stage... and then to top it all off, she grabbed my hoof and... played my cello for me. I swear she nearly broke the thing! --The cello that is."

I turned to glare at the already guilty looking Pinkie before turning back to comfort my friend.

"hah..." She took another calming breath, "it must be this music. I do wish Vinyl would go for something more calming, but that's not really her style."

I shrugged. I didn't really know what to say...

"Sorry, I'm ruining your going away party with my frustrations--"

"No, no..." I shook my head, "It's better to get it out now rather than never..."

She smiled at me in gratitude. I went for a hug, "Even though I didn't see you that often, I'll miss being able to see you..."

"I'll miss you too," I smiled back sadly, "Do your best back in Canterlot!" I grinned, "I wanna hear about Octavia--the greatest composer and cellist ever--and her new ground breaking songs when I come back."

"Well," Octavia smiled bashfully, "I don't know about that..."

I patted her on the back, "Just kidding. Don't overwork yourself, just have fun..."

...The trio of historians came over...

"Hey," Data said to me, "we got the paper out already!"

"really?" my eyes widened in surprise, "That was fast!"

"Friends of yours?" Octavia asked while stepping back.

"Mhmm!" I nodded.

Lance brought out a newspaper and held it in his wing. Octavia and I looked at it...

"Princess Celestia loses her horn in battle with human. Half of Everfree is destroyed..." Octavia read.

"What is this?" She turned to me.

"Oh, it's just a sensationalist title," I rolled my eyes back and grinned, then looked back at her, "Celestia--"

"Princess Celestia," Octavia looked shocked.

I glared at her, "She discharged a laser next to my face, tried to kill two of my latest friends, and destroyed half of the Everfree!" I almost yelled, "I'm not calling her princess after that!"

Octavia took a second to digest the information. She apparently didn't want to believe it... Then again... "...Well, I never did trust her after she ran away from that last gala..."

"...And by latest friends--" She tilted her head "--do you mean those newsponies?"

"No," I shook my head, "Dom and Clair are some pretty nice humans..." I smiled, remembering when they stayed over.

Octavia frowned, "But wait, if they could take on Celestia in a fight and broke her horn, aren't you trusting them a bit quickly? That'd be like Fluttershy taking in Sombra instead of Discord."

I frowned at the comparison, "They don't want to fight, they were pushed into it. And I can help them by helping to make sure fights like that don't happen."

...Seeing that we weren't going to read more than the title, Lance put the newspaper back down, disappointed.


I passed out on my couch after several inane but fun conversations with my friends, and some catching up with Octavia...

Author's Note:

(1) Who doesn't live with their best friend, let their best friend cuddle their naked body at night, serve their best friend breakfast in bed, and travel across the world with their best friend...

(2) When writing this, I realized Octavia never really showed up in ponyville

(Written by Dom, edited by Clair.)

Comments ( 5 )

4084353

Thanks.

While the overall story is supposed to be a world changing adventure with incredibly high stakes, I aim to make the interactions and everything more personal and less tense, like you might see in slice of life. These are visualization sessions after all, and school is stressful enough; I wouldn't be doing these if I got more stress out of them than fun.

I'm sad to hear you cancelled this story. Hope you bring it back someday.

4598364

Not likely. I forgot what the main characters were like, so I'd have to off the humans somewhere and stick with Lyra...

Hmm...

Why you cancel? :fluttercry:

4964991

Some of the human characters were tulpas (they're kind of like intentional multiple personalities (I experiment a lot, and when I don't have the resources to experiment outside my body...)). Tulpas change rapidly. Any continuation of the story would either have to explain for drastically different characters, or it would have to focus solely on Lyra. I wanted to focus solely on Lyra, but I had no idea how to do that.

Sorry... :fluttershysad:

Login or register to comment