• Published 1st Jun 2014
  • 790 Views, 30 Comments

A Good Librarian Can Find the Right Answer - Lady Grey



Rookie Manehatten Librarian Page Turner Gets transfered to the Canterlot Archive for a week. And what a week it is...

  • ...
1
 30
 790

Saturday: Spike

Reshelving tomes of unspeakable arcane might in Canterlot turns out to be rather similar to reshelving cookbooks in Manehatten.

First, I find the boundaries of each subject heading under the Library of Canterlot system. Then I run a quick locator spell for any stray books. Once I’ve collected all the volumes in a given section, I arrange them alphabetically by author, then title, and then I replace them on the shelf block by block. Double checking that I haven’t missed any books using a cataloging spell, I finish up and move onto the next section.

Rinse, repeat.

I suppose I should be paying attention to what I’m doing, but after the third or fourth shelf I just can’t be bothered anymore. Some part of my brain entirely devoted to this sort of work takes over, leaving the rest of me open to ponder my life choices.

It’s not that I regret taking this job. Working at the Archive—it’s still my dream job, you know? This is a great opportunity. I sigh, trying to remember whether translations of the same work went by translator’s name or edition number. I guess...it’s not what I expected. I haven’t seen a single pony in the in the Archive at all and I’ve been reshelving for hours. (Edition, I think.) Isn’t this supposed to be this all-important research hub? Shouldn’t I be up to my neck in people to help? It’s more than that, though. There’s this feeling down in my gut that, I don’t know, this isn’t what I’m here for. This is not who I am meant to be.

With another sigh and a quick spell I finish up under Necromancy. Somehow, I doubt existential angst comes standard at my age. I turn the corner, my brain set to repeat the five step program for the next shelf. Welcome the exciting world of Thaumaturgical Dualism: I will be my own guide through this lonely literary wasteland.

Except, the aisle isn’t empty.

There is, in fact, a dragon in this aisle.

Not a big dragon. He’s a head shorter than me at least. But from his expression he is clearly in a state of informational distress. My neck straightens. Finally! A question to answer. This is more like it. Come on, Page, you’re great with questions! First thing’s first: get his attention. …How do you politely address a dragon? Sir? Madam? I can’t just say “hello library user”—that would be rude. ‘Dragon’ seems wrong. Gentlecolt would be very, very wrong. Patron seems too detached, but I can’t exactly just go ‘hey, you!’ either. Well, you have to say something, now you’re hovering.

The dragon mumbles to himself, staring intently at a scrap of paper clutched in his claw. Variations on the same sounds over and over, until finally he throws it down to the floor in frustration. “Come on, Twilight! How did you expect me to read this?!”

Without warning, I sneeze.

The dragon jumps six inches and staggers backwards into his pile of books.

I rush forward. “Oh my—I’m so sorry—I didn’t mean to startle you,” I say, picking him back up and placing him on his feet. “I meant to, well, you know, ask if you needed any help because you seemed to be having trouble.” He stares up at me like I caught him taking cookies from the cookie jar. “I just—I got so distracted by the fact that you’re a dragon. I didn’t expect to see a dragon in the library, you know. It put me right out of my head. I forgot to say anything at all, didn’t I? Like my name. Oh gosh, I still haven’t introduced myself! I’m Page Turner.” I put out a hoof to shake, feeling the blood pool in my face. Smooth Page. Smooth.

“Oh…” He swallows and stares back at me. “Uh…” he trails off.

I realize what I just said. “Not that there’s anything wrong with you being a dragon! Or with dragons using libraries. It’s just, er, I mean, I guess I thought dragons would prefer their information in a less, um, less flammable form.”

Silence. Wide eyes. Now I’ve done it. My first real question and I’ve absolutely terrified the poor guy. Probably insulted his entire species to boot!

Relax, Page. Start over. There’s a reason he’s here. Whatever it is, you need to help him. That’s why you’re here. I look down at the petrified purple dragon. He seems a bit young to be a powerful sorcerer. But what do you know about dragons, Page? The only one you’ve ever even heard of works with--

“Oh.” It hits me. “You’re Twilight Sparkle’s assistant, aren’t you? The Princess’s student? Are these books for her?” At the name he perks up. Then almost instantly his eyes drop directly to his feet.

“Uh, um… yeah. That’s right.” He puts out his own hand. “...Spike. My name is Spike.”

“What can I do for you, Spike?”

He glances up at me and coughs. Then quickly he bends over to gather up the books he knocked over. As he stands up the words just seem to spill out of him all at once: “Twilight just sent me down to pick up some books for her—but I can’t read her notes and she...she needs them right away you know so...” He trails off like he’s run out of steam. I smile, because I’ve been there. He’s just shy, the poor guy.

“Well, Spike, that sounds important. We’d better find them pronto!” I pick up the note off the floor. He reaches out a hand as if to grab it away from me, then stops. I pause. Am I not supposed to read this? What if it’s something personal? Or secret? I don’t want to intrude, I just assumed a second pair of eyes would help. I’m not really sure what I am supposed to do now. I can’t exactly help him if I don’t know what he’s looking for. But I guess he never actually asked for my help. I wait. He doesn’t take the scrap out of the air, but he doesn’t withdraw his hand either. For a moment we’re frozen, eyes locked. I breathe, and incline my head slightly, without breaking eye contact. “...may I?”

Spike frowns, then nods and pulls back his hand. All right then Page, that’s your cue. I look down at the scrap of parchment covered in tight scribbles. To my dismay, it’s clearly been torn from a book. …I’m sure there’s a good reason for that.

At first I can’t make out a thing, then suddenly my eyes acclimatize. It’s a list of half a dozen book titles crammed in haphazardly, no authors. From the looks of things Spike found and marked off the first three, then had trouble where the writing gets more cramped.

“Let’s see…” I squint at the list, which helps on the more cramped bits. “Magic over Mind, that’s right around here, actually.” I say turning to the shelf. “It’s by…” I scan the titles “Ah yes... Magic Over Mind: The History and Practice of Enchantment, by A. Moral.” I pull it off the shelf and add it to his stack of books. “And then, hm… what’s next...” I check the list. “On Purity and Self, that’s that book by Clear Vision. She uses a pen-name, I think. Check over there on the bottom shelf, would you Spike? Try under Vovesia.”

Spike trots over to the end of the shelf, brushing his claw lightly along the books. “Got it!” He says, pulling out a tall book bound in red leather.

“Right” I say, returning to the list with purpose. “Now we just need…” I squint again. “The Arcane Anima by...” I pause, staring at the list. A strange feeling creeps over me.

There are 6 books laid out in a circle. They are on all sorts of topics: Deep Magical Theory, Enchantment, Purification, the Nature of Memory, Clairvoyance, even one the anatomy of the Soul. In the center of the circle there is a space for another book, but it is empty. Without it the other books are just a random collection of thoughts. Disjointed. Drifting. But add the keystone and—

Slam!

Spike adds his book to the stack and looks up at me. “By who?”

I blink. “Oh. Bucephalus. Should be there,” I say pointing, then after a pause “Spike, are you sure this is the whole list? Twilight didn’t want anything else?”

Spike almost drops the book. “What? W-why do you ask?”

“Oh, well, it’s… kind of hard to explain.” I say scanning the shelf. My brain tries to snatch at the threads of thought that are already unraveling. The keystone. What connects all these books together? “I guess I’m not quite sure what she’s looking for.”

“Oh, nothing specific!” Spike says quickly. “Just odds and ends: a reference book here, a spell book there. Twilight, you know. Magic things. She’s always doing like twelve things!”

“Well, maybe I’m wrong then, but here.” My hoof stops on a dark green spine, with its title in flaking gold letters: True Natures. I pull it out and add it on top of Spike’s stack. “Take this to Twilight too, I think she’ll find it useful for her research.”

Spike looks at me strangely. Then brightens. “Of cou—" he starts, giving a half-salute, then suddenly looks quite silly, "I mean, sure. Will do."

I laugh. “Well okay then, let’s go check these out.” We walk back to the desk. Spike is quiet, but in a different sort of way. Gives me this warm-fuzzy feeling. I really feel like we’ve connected. I stamp his books with a due date one month from today

“Oh we just need them for the week.” Spike says, then adds: “Twilight, uh, never keeps a library book too long,”

“Well, I hope these help.” I say, pushing the last book across the desk.

Spike smiles, then looks suddenly crestfallen. “I sure hope so too.” He says and turns away. I watch as he totters off, carefully balancing his tower of books.

I stare after him for a moment, then shrug at my reflection out of the corner of my eye. “Odd little guy, isn’t he?”

Author's Note:

Okay! Second Chapter down. Now the REAL plot starts.

Here we start the main format for this story: Page helps various characters in the library and through their problems discovers clues about mysterious events happening elsewhere. It's an interesting truth/lies set up, begging all sorts of exciting questions: Will Twilight find what she's looking for? Can Page Turner save the day from the mysterious threat? Will the Truth set you free? Or are some things better left unknown?

*Makes spooky noises*

Comments ( 12 )

To my dismay, it’s clearly been torn from a book. …I’m sure there’s a good reason for that.

The brutalized remains of our first victim! :pinkiegasp:

Welp, I'm hooked. Is this set before the start of the series? If so, I'm curious how that will tie into the plot.
Also, ponies being accidentally racist against Spike is reliably amusing. Maybe because he's so nonthreatening, so the usual "Oh no that dragon is going to burn everything" response is particularly wrong.

4521003 Oh Sir! My Game is plain! This story is a tale of a most brutal and fearsome Serial Killer! Spike is rushing potential victims into protective custody.

4521756 But surely this is part of the Killer's nefarious plan! Now he doesn't have to search for them; he knows exactly where they are! Oh those poor, poor books...

Except for the scrap. That was probably just the reveal page from one of Rarity's romance novels. They all end the same anyway! Or, so I've heard... :duck:

I'm feeling the urge to point out some grammatical errors I hit while rereading, but I know it's obnoxious to get a note that's just typos and grammar fixes. So I'm going to include some overall thoughts too, like a good friend, but put them all the way at the end of the post, like a jerk.

First--spaces. You are quite inconsistent about single vs. double spacing after a full stop, though it may partly be a side-effect of dying your tendency to punctuate dialogue tags with periods instead of commas when you aren't paying attention. At any rate, it's a bit hard to spot on fimfic because this site justifies text, but it is there and maybe worth a fix. You could find replace all the double spaces with single spaces if you wanted to get rid of them easily, as opposed to making the single spaces double.

It’s not that I regret taking this job.

This paragraph is (still? or newly?) missing an indent.

I guess...it’s not what I expected.

Would incline towards putting the ellipsis after "it's" instead of "guess" as that's how I would say this, but up to you. It does need a space afterwards, though.

First thing’s first: get his attention. …How do you politely address a dragon?

First, let me just say that I find it CRIMINAL that Page has never read How To Address Your Dragon. You're supposed to be a librarian, Page. Shape up.

On a serious note, the ellipsis feels weird and kind of forced in there as too much of a "THIS IS A PLACE WHERE SHE PAUSED." Could replace with just a "but," maybe?

Spike looks at me strangely. Then brightens. “Of cou—" he starts, giving a half-salute, then suddenly looks quite silly, "I mean, sure. Will do."

If you feel like fixing a construction the "[does x], then [y]" constructions are repetitive. Anyway "then suddenly looks quite silly" doesn't... quite register to me as an action, and I think is actually wrong as a "linking" dialogue tag (it starts as a tag, then becomes an action, but because you start with a tag the "then suddenly" leads you to expect a further tag, like "then suddenly bursts out"). "Gets halfway into a salute before he stops himself, a goofy look on his face" is an alternate rendering of what I think you mean to say here, but I'm not really sure. Anyway I might at least throw a period after "silly" in place of the comma for grammar reasons.

So, things that I can say about this that don't involve all the spoilers I know:
- Page is kind of a dork and I like her.
- While I retain my feelings about the suggestions that you didn't take, I think your choice of fixes was smart and improved the sense of Page's voice considerably, as well as the overall flow.
- I also retain my feelings of knowing what happens but wanting to know what happens to get there, so you've managed to create suspense for me out of lack of suspense. Which is a good thing.

4521756
Oh my! I'm lured here with the promise of a humble Mystery, and instead find a sordid, true-to-life tale of murder most 'orrid, as ripped from the headlines of the more sensational broadsheets. Replete with spilt ink, cracked spines, dislocated joints, and even removed appendices, no less! I'm betting that before we know it, our Heroine will be diving beneath the covers and sliding between the sheets in her efforts to uncover the truth.
And a serial killer you say? The additional volumes must protected before this nefarious villain strikes again!

Bucephalus.

I've head-canon'ed this pony as an ancestor of Trixie; after all, he was known to be Great, et Al.

Deep Magical Theory, Enchantment, Purification, the Nature of Memory, Clairvoyance, even one the anatomy of the Soul

Is Twi trying to resurrect the dead? Bit of necromancy for a hobby?

I haven’t seen a single pony in the in the Archive at all

Repetition here.

Welcome the exciting world of Thaumaturgical Dualism

You accidentally a word here.

Interesting chapter. I want to know what this weird thing going on with Spike ends up being. Also, that whole thing about the keystone.

Something you may want to consider: putting a character's name in the title of a chapter implies that the chapter is from the character's perspective, especially since that's how the first chapter happened tfo work.

Her job is so boring her mind developed psychic powers to pass the time. Just like Maretilda!
1:

Gnostic Theory of Subtropical Changling Magic

Changeling.
2:

I look down at the scrap of parchment covered in tight scribbles.

Parchment is made from animal skin. There is such a thing as vegetable parchment paper, but it's the waxy paper you see used as baking sheets and occasionally as a substitute for actual parchment for legal docs.

I stamp his books with a due date one month from today

Missing end punctuation.

4617859 Thanks for your concern. However I have decided to ignore the advice, since ultimately I have a reasonable logic for the chapter titles in the story. Each one refers to the day of the week on which the event occurs and who the chapter is about (rather than the point of view). Since the first chapter is something of a prologue--it introduced Page Turner and gave us no other characters--it is named after her. All subsequent chapters, save the epilogue are named after the character Page interacts with in that chapter whose requests and demeanor will give us more clues as to what is happening. This will become more clear once I post the next chapter and the pattern can be established.

Interesting! I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this! It's an interesting premise, and I'm intrigued by the idea of her piecing the needs of her patrons together through their book choices.

Please keep writing, I'll keep reading!

Login or register to comment