• Published 14th Oct 2013
  • 693 Views, 4 Comments

The Last Unicorn - sweetPixiesmile



Twilight Sparkle and Spike are the only ones to realize that all the unicorns have disappeared from Equestria. It's up to them to find out what has happened, but how can they do so in a world that seems to have lost it's magic?

  • ...
1
 4
 693

Prologue

When Twilight awoke that morning, she knew something was wrong.

She couldn’t quite put her hoof on it. It was like a niggling little burr under her saddle, or a cheeky parasprite that hovered just at the edge of her consciousness, elusive but ever present. She shrugged. Perhaps she shouldn't have tried to finish The Hidden Tales of Canterlot last night.

The sky was an infinite expanse of grey. The pegasi weather patrol had done journeyman’s duty getting the weather ready for today’s Sun Solstice Celebration, and Twilight had gotten up extra early in the gloaming of the day to take care of chores before heading out with friends. But she just couldn’t seem to shake the feeling that there was something monumentally wrong.

Spike also seemed out of sorts.

“I was pretty sure I had something to do today, Twi,” he complained as he helped her sort the books in the library for the second time this week. He yawned as he slid a thick tome onto a shelf, its spine reading Pony Power, a comparative study, version six. “I just can’t seem to remember what.”

“I know what you mean," she said, the magenta glow surrounding a floating maelstrom of literature that corresponded to the glow around the horn on her forehead.

Twilight was a purple coated alicorn mare, with cute curved wings and a short round tipped horn. Her dark blue mane fell long and straight with a single bright pink streak that ran straight through from fringe to the back. She had been the brightest star at the Academy. She was also the youngest mare to hold the position of Chief Librarian at any library in Equestria, and even though it was only the small town Ponyville’s Golden Oaks Library, she took her duties very seriously.

Spike was her number one assistant, but was really more like a dorky younger brother that she alternately mothered and teased. They had been together for so long that Twilight could never imagine what life would be like without her longest and most trusted friend. Nevermind that he was a young dragon; he was family in her heart.

Books flew around the room as she concentrated, each tome shelved with the sleek efficiency that only unicorn magic could manage. Even more efficiently, now that Twilight was learning to tap into her augmented alicorn power. As the last book slid into place atop the immaculately cleaned shelving, Spike sighed with relief.

“Great, Twilight,” he said, dusting his hands together, “and we still have an hour before we meet-” He stopped speaking, his mind hiccuping to a shuddering stop, Twilight sharing in the thought popping moment. They looked at each other, not needing to communicate verbally.

“Weird,” was all Spike could say, running a clawed hand over his light green spines.

The feeling of disquiet only grew.

Twilight distracted herself and Spike by helping pack a panier with lunch, counting out the five salads for herself, her friends and a bowl-full of gems for Spike and a few books she had been meaning to read, The Annotated History of Equestria and Go With The Flow: Navigating difficult Wind Currents and the Dangers of High Altitude.

“Come on, Spike, we need to get going,” she called out as the little lavender dragon dragged a large sack out of the kitchen with a precariously balanced panier on his head. She took pity and wheeled a small red wagon to the door before picking up the sack and panier with her magic and floating them onto the wagon, the wheels sgging slightly from the weight. Spike dutifully grasped the handle and trundled the wagon out.

The morning’s clean crisp air was already filling with bustle as ponies made their way down to the town square, the site chosen for Equestria’s most important holiday of the year. Bright flags flapped merrily in the cool morning air, the horizon already beginning to glow.

“Hey guys!”

She paused to find the source of the voice, and inevitably looked up. Floating towards them was a pair of pegasi, one bright blue, the other pastel yellow. While the yellow pegasus had a light pink mane, the blue one had a wild shock of rainbow. Twilight always marvelled that the most reticent of ponies she knew was of the same pony race as the brashest.

“Oh, hey Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy,” she greeted them with a warm smile.

“I’m gonna fly ahead and make sure we get the best seats in the house. ‘Shy why don’t you go with Sparkle?”

“Oh,” demurred the yellow pegasus. “Alright," she said with relief as she landed by Twilight and Spike.

"We won’t be long,” Twilight reassured her friend. They turned to watch the streak of rainbow colour disappear ahead.

“Twilight, Spike,” Fluttershy nodded at each of them in turn. “Isn’t it just a marvelous morning? I can’t wait for the fair to start.”

“Yep. Do you know if Applejack and-” Twilight stopped mid-sentence. What was she going to say? She felt as if something had reached very deliberately, almost maliciously, and ripped something from her mind as she tried to think it and she paled, visibly trembling. “I-I mean," she stammered, trying to recover, "is Applejack going to be on time this year?”

“I certainly hope she will,” Fluttershy replied, giving her friend a look. “But Sweet Apple Acres is so far.”

The Celebration site came into view as they rounded the corner of a house. A large wooden stage had been put together by the fountain in the large, spacious and open square. A large stylized emblem stood behind it, facing the east. The square was already extremely crowded, with more and more mares and stallions arriving. An excited chatter filled the air. A bright pink earth pony near the stage stood on her hind hooves to wave both her forelegs at them as they spotted her. They threaded their way through the throng, carefully stepping so as to not inconvenience or hurt the other spectators. When they arrived, Rainbow Dash showed up, hovering in the air as she passed down some hot foods

“Hey Twilie, Spike, hi ‘Shy!” The pink on pink mare gave them a wide grin, bounced on her hooves, unable to contain her excitement.

“Hi Pinkie,” the others chorused.

“Don’t worry, Twilight,” Pinkie said as she put a forearm around the alicorn’s neck and leaned against her. Twilight craned her head around, searching.

“Will the others be here soon?” Pinkie Pie turned to the purple mare with a knowing grin.

“Sure, but not all the same.”

“Um,” Twilight hemmed, not sure how to respond to that. Her insides felt like they were a pit of snakes, writhing with dread. Spike looked decidedly green under his scales.

“Twilight, are you okay?” Fluttershy reached out a forehoof, but quickly pulled it back for fear of offending anypony.

A grey maned, dun coated mare, the mayor of Ponyville was making a short speech on the stage. A large stand topped with a large crescent with stylized flares stood in the centre, directly facing east.

"N-n-no," Twilight said despite her shivering. "I'm okay, I'm fine." Spike put a claw on her shoulder in concern, and Twilight was grateful for the contact, even though her head felt as if someone was driving a stake down through her horn. She raised a hoof to her head, trembling.

A streak of rainbow stopped beside them and Rainbow Dash alighted.

"This is going to be. So. Awesome!" she gushed as the world suddenly began to whirl chaotically. Twilight swayed, unaware that Spike's hand convulsively clutched her shoulder.

"And now, without further ado," Mayor Mare proclaimed amidst the thunderous stomping of hooves and cheers, "the moment you've all been waiting for... the Sun!"

The Sun rose above the horizon.

By itself.

The whirling spun faster and faster, the scent and presence of so many ponies was pressing in upon her.

"Twilight!" someone cried out.

And everything turned black.

Author's Note:

I was reading one of my favourite authors, Jacqueline Carey, and in one of her newer novels, she mentioned Dr. Midnight's Travelling Circus, a reference to The Last Unicorn. I read the synopsis of Peter Beagle's work and was intrigued by the classical hero's journey and thought maybe I could write one. I didn't actually read the book for fear of tainting my own work.... anyway, here it is!

Please read and leave a note; I'd love to hear from you!

Comments ( 4 )

I am intrigued! Keep writing. :pinkiesmile:

@sweetPixiesmile...

In regards to Chapter 1's Author's Note...

Actually... you should go read The Last Unicorn, it is a very good (& bittersweet) story. It should not taint you, but rather help you with writing your fan-fiction.

Do not cheapen out and watch the old animated movie, either. While the movie was done well enough for animation quality for its time, the movie simply could not impress the same level of bittersweet emotional investment of the novel.

Harry up with your story or a lot of ponies will cry:raritycry::fluttercry::applecry::ajsleepy: also have other sad faces:fluttershyouch::pinkiesad2::rainbowhuh::facehoof::unsuresweetie::fluttershysad:

This story looks interesting! When do you plan to update it??

Login or register to comment