• Published 28th Aug 2013
  • 547 Views, 3 Comments

Snow-globe - epreeses1



Derpy goes to Manehatten

  • ...
 3
 547

Muffins

Snow blew, biting into the mailmare’s gray coat like tiny teeth. It was a bitter cold day in Manehatten, and Derpy found herself in the middle of it as she tried to deliver her letters. Passing by towering skyscrapers, the yellow maned mare tried to read an address while the wind blew like a windigo, covering her face with white snow.

“B-buckingham palace?” Derpy said “I think that’s in Prance, or was that Detroit?” She threw the letter into the mail slot of a Timberstove Periwinkle. Some fancy shmancy artist Derpy thought, but as she left, the door opened.

Derpy sat down and greeted Mr. Periwinkle, waving a gray hoof.

Timberstove was known as a gypsy to his roommates in the Buckingham apartment complex, a true oddball. His gray head had only a few strands of brown hair left, and Derpy could see that they threatened to fall off any second in the mad gusts of wind. His eyes boggled just like her’s but instead of a bright yellow. they were an icy white, sucking all warmth from anything they see.

“Hi” Derpy’s bubbly personality failed to see any danger “I’m Ditzy” she looked down as if nervous “But ponies like to call me Derpy. it’s nice to meet you”

She was grabbed, and soon found herself in the relative warmth of the apartment lobby.

Derpy found it rather cramped, not to mention dull. The colors were multiple shades of gray. Not the best for business, but as usual, Derpy didn ‘t mind.

“Hey, thanks for getting me out of the cold mister” Derpy’s eyes were closed, trusting that the pony wouldn’t even think of harming her. “But i have to leave, I got more letters to deliver”

Timberstove shoved Derpy to the wall, making her gasp. “No, you can’t go back out there, or you’ll be trapped in this city forever”

“No, i wish i could stay and play, but I have a job to do” Derpy said, pushing Timberstove aside so she could go to the door.

“You will be trapped forever if you leave miss Ditzy”

Derpy pushed the rotating door, accidentally spinning it, getting herself dizzy.

“Bye mister” She said once she could see straight again.



The day didn’t get much better as Derpy went on her delivery route, snow started to get into her mailbag, and she actually gave a single family home a pile of snow instead of their mail. The snow melted in the house, but Derpy didn’t know the difference so all was okay with her.

For some reason, Timberstove’s message about her being trapped in the city forever came to her mind, but she could fly, there would be no way for her to be trapped. So she pushed it to the back of her mind as she gave another home snow instead of mail.


Derpy crossed at small bakery called Doughpy, and went in for a muffin break. It was a warmly lit place with pictures of all kinds of baked confections. Derpy took her soggy mailbag off and put it on the velvet stool next to the marble counter as she grabbed her bit purse.

“And what can I do for you?”

Derpy looked up. The cashier looked back in an irritated manner, like she thought she was too good for this minimum wage job. Her gray coat heavily clashed with the bright yellow apron with a picture of a dough pony on it. A vibrantly unkempt purple mane dangled over her left eye in ratty curls.

“Could I have a blueberry muffin, please?” Derpy said, her bubbly personality showing.

“That will be three bits” The cashier said in the monotoned voice she used throughout the long and cold day.

Derpy took another look into her bit purse. “Oh muffin!” she cried out.

“Is something wrong miss?”

Derpy sniffed, her bright mood crashing to the ground. “I.., i only have two bits” She slumped down into the velvet red stool, tears forming in her eyes.

The cashier grumbled. “We have a slice of blueberry cake for a bit, i could get you two of that if you want?” She expected tears from fillys who had a bad day, but not a full grow mare. she just wanted to get this over with.

Derpy sniffed “Thanks for the offer, it really means a lot, but i love muffins and won’t eat any other pastry, so i’ll have to decline”

The cashier just shrugged and went back to work scrubbing the counter.


The wind blew outside Doughpy, covering it’s windows with snow, but Derpy didn’t notice, she was too busy looking at the blueberry muffin in the display case.It seemed so shiny, she could almost see a gentle puff of steam coming from the top. There were splotches of powdered sugar, making it look like it was smiling at her, begging her to take it away. The smell of fresh blueberries filled the room, taunting her further. Derpy knew that she was just torturing herself by looking at the treat, but she couldn’t help it. She was in love.

A bell rang, indicating that someone else came in.

“What is her problem?” A burly pegasus said.

“I think she’s one of those weird ponies the boss keeps talking about.” another pegasus said.

Derpy just ignored the rude comments, she’d heard them all before.

“What about Dinky?” someone said.

Derpy looked up, shock written on her face “Dinky, my Dinky is here!?”

The same cashier had a small, misfit muffin in her hoof, and a confused look on her face “Who’s Dinky? I was just asking if you would accept this dinky muffin for two bits?”

“Oh, Dinky is my little filly, she’s supposed to be waiting for me back in Ponyville”

“Okay” The cashier rolled her eyes “So how bout it? A weird stallion came in and told be to sell you, but I think it is okay.” A worried smile shown on the cashier’s face.

“Deal” Derpy said with a smile, she grabbed her bit purse, putting two bits on the counter, and picking up her delectable treat.

“Good, now could you leave? You’re creeping some of the other patrons”

Derpy ignored her and took a bite from her treat. She gasped, and was transported to a new world. The snow disappeared, and was replaced by warm sand. She found herself out of Doughpy’s It didn’t seem like she was in Manehatten anymore. Looking to her left, she saw Dinky, her Dinky not some muffin imposter, holding a crudely drawn picture of her and her mother. Derpy smiled and walked over to nuzzle her daughter, forgetting completely that she was supposed to be in Ponyville.

“Um, miss, are you okay?”

The words were blurred and Derpy didn’t hear any of them. Looking around some more, she saw palm trees sway without a care in the world, and she felt herself swaying with them.

“Get this ditz out of here please.”

Derpy was taken off her hooves by none other then the doctor,; she felt weightless in his strong arms.
She could hear the silent dingle of waves lapping waves, they sounded just like the Doughpy doorbell, and she smelled the salty air of a warm beach.

“I don’t mean to be rude miss, but I need you to leave, you are making ponies uncomfortable. Nothing personal”

Derpy didn’t hear a thing, she was flying in the sky, the biggest smile on her face. It was like the world shook around her letting her fly without using her wings. She did flips, corkscrews with no effort at all.



“Where did you get this Cranky?” Pinkie asked, holding a snowglobe that she shook with vigor.
“I got that in Manehatten”
“Coolio” Pinkie said setting the snowglobe down.

Derpy was one with the snow, turns out the gypsy was right, but Derpy doesn’t mind, not one bit.

Author's Note:

This was just me trying to make something up for why Derpy was in the snowglobe.
And honestly, i don't think i gave it a good enough shot, but whatever. I got another story that is pretty good.
I'm happy

Comments ( 3 )

I do believe that there was a fan comic strip on DeviantArt that dealt with a similar subject, but I can't seem to find it; I know it's got the TARDIS in it.

Lovely little oneshot. Only problem I saw in it was that the Dinky pun seemed a little forced. Ditzy's bliss out scene was excellent, I could almost see her floating on the spot, Muttley or Scooby style.

3639731
yeah, this wasn't a major project of mine, more of a one of, and I don't really plan to work on it much now. Glad you liked it, also, I didn't really know there was a Dinky pun... was there?
Anyway, thanks.

Login or register to comment