• Published 22nd Jun 2013
  • 666 Views, 6 Comments

Daring Do: A Derp in Time - Lance Skyes



Dash, her favorite hero, an old friend, and a mad stallion... all stuffed into a tiny blue box.

  • ...
3
 6
 666

Part 4: Crowded House? More Like Crowded Police Box

Twilight trotted back into the library and used her magic to pick up the book Rainbow Dash dropped minutes before. “The Doctor couldn’t have been saying what I think he was saying,” Twilight said to herself, flipping to the third chapter. “If Rainbow Dash were to not make it, then she couldn’t write the book, right?” Twilight sighed a nervous sigh before sitting down to begin reading. “‘Chapter Three: The Four Pegasi...’”

”So I was offered an adventure,” the rainbow pegasus said. “But nopony told me what kind of adventure.”

“Same here,” Daring Do added. “I was just pulled right off of a cloud by these two a few hours ago.”

“Are you sure it wasn’t more like a hundred years ago?” the Doctor joked. This actually made the other three giggle a little. “Anyway, the adventure I offered is something beyond anything you could imagine, Rainbow Dash.”

“Really?” Rainbow Dash asked. “Anything?

“Yup. Anything.” Just as the Doctor was saying this, the four were over the Everfree Forest. “I’ll explain when we get to the TARDIS. Follow me.” The Doctor then began flying straight down into the Everfree.

“What the hay is a TARDIS?” Dash asked.

“It’s like a time machine,” Derpy replied before following the Doctor. Rainbow Dash looked at Daring as though asking her if she knew anything, but Daring just shrugged and flew down with the other two, followed by Rainbow Dash.

[Author’s note: In this story, I’ll start and end each chapter with Twilight reading the book, but the rest of it will be from Rainbow Dash’s point of view. (Not first-pony view, but what’s going on around her.) This way, I can show exactly what’s going on through everypony’s minds during the adventure, and that’s something I can’t do in a book.]

About a hundred questions were going through Rainbow Dash’s mind as the four pegasi finally landed. Why were they in the Everfree Forest? How is Daring Do here? How does Twilight know this stallion? How does Derpy know this stallion? And why were the four standing in front of a tiny blue box?

“I’m sure you have a lot of questions,” the Doctor said, standing next to the box.

Rainbow Dash was about to respond, but Daring cut her off quickly. “And it took you that long to figure that out?” the impatient adventurer asked.

“Hay,” Rainbow Dash shouted. “He was talking to me. Just because you’re one of my three heroes doesn’t mean you can cut me off like that.”

“Actually, I was talking to both of you,” the Doctor said. “But first thing’s first. Everypony but you, Rainbow Dash, has already been acquainted with the TARDIS. Better you step in right now so I can answer all the questions you’re going to have quickly. After that, I can answer whatever questions either of you two have that don’t regard this tiny blue box of mine.”

“You want me to... go inside that tiny blue box?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“It’s bigger on the inside,” Derpy and Daring said in unison, kind of creeping each other out.

“Yeah, what they said,” the Doctor said, trotting into the TARDIS, followed closely by Derpy. Daring hung back for a split second to give Rainbow Dash a quick wink before following the other two into the TARDIS.

“I guess I have been through weirder,” Rainbow Dash said to herself, finding that she was the only pony standing outside of the box. After hardly ten seconds, she gave a heavy sigh and trotted into the box. When she stepped in a look of sheer disbelief washed over her face and, if it were even possible, her entire body. She found herself in a huge room full of knobs and buttons and levers and a huge pillar in the center that had even more strange buttons and screens all around its base. “What... the...?”

“Yup,” the Doctor said, pulling some levers and pressing some buttons around the center pillar. “That’s the exact same reaction just about everyone has.”

“It’s bigger...” Rainbow Dash tried to say. “...on the inside... How is this possible?”

“The specifics are a bit over your head, I’m afraid,” the Doctor said. “One way of looking at it is thinking of the door of the TARDIS as some kind of portal that leads to a different world. Namely, this room and everything down that long and confusing hallway over there.” The Doctor indicated another doorway on the other side of the room that led to a hallway that extended further into two different directions.

“Ahem,” Daring Do said. “I’m sorry, but weren’t we going to get to answering my questions sometime soon?”

“And I still have questions too,” Rainbow Dash added.

“Yes, of course,” the Doctor said. “Derpy, watch the control panel. Don’t touch anything. Just let me know if any red lights start flashing.”

“Okie-dokie,” Derpy said. She then flew over and stood at one of the panels on the center pillar.

“And don’t get any muffin crumbs on the control panel again. I won’t be able to stand another detour to Oakside Park.” Derpy nodded in reply and resumed her idle standing while the Doctor turned back to Daring Do and Rainbow Dash. “Now then, first thing. Daring, you were wondering about what Derpy said about me ‘piloting this ship for the past few centuries.’”

“Wait,” Rainbow Dash said. “Centuries? How old are you?”

“Roughly a thousand years. See, I’m technically not a pony. I’m actually what’s called a Time Lord. One of an immortal but nearly extinct race of time travelers. When a Time Lord is on the brink of death, we have the power to regenerate ourselves into a new body and a new personality, completely recovered and in perfect health. In this case, I regenerated from a previous form into this equine form you see me as now. Rainbow Dash, your turn to ask a question.”

“Okay,” Rainbow Dash said, pausing for a moment to consider what to ask the Doctor. “I guess my first question is... what do you know about that book I found in Twilight’s library that was apparently written by me?”

“To be honest, nothing.” Rainbow Dash was about to say something, but the Doctor quickly stopped her. “Allow me to explain that. The TARDIS can move anywhere in space and time. That doesn’t necessarily mean I’m from the future, though. Maybe I’ll deliver the book in my future but in Twilight’s past. As well, that likely means you’ll write the book in your future.”

“Well that explains just about everything,” Rainbow Dash said.

“My turn,” Daring quickly said. “Why exactly have you brought me and this prismatic pegasus here?”

“You’ll have to be a little more specific,” the Doctor said. “There’s two ways I can interpret that question and each interpretation has it’s own answer.”

“Okay... What kind of adventure have we been summoned for?”

“That I can answer. I’ve detected a dangerous anomaly near Equestria. A ship full of dangerous creatures called Cyberponies is headed this way. Cyberponies are powerful robot-like creatures who were once organic ponies who were seeking power and immortality by replacing every part of their bodies bit by bit with cybernetic components until they became soulless, merciless warriors on an eternal warpath to convert all living beings into Cyberponies.”

Daring Do and Rainbow Dash stood there, staring at the Doctor with open-mouthed expressions. Neither one had ever heard a more dark and vile story. “Wow,” Daring said. “And we’re supposed to stop them?”

“Didn’t you say they were powerful and immortal?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“I did,” the Doctor replied. “However, I’ve done battle with them many times over the centuries not through physical combat, but through battles of wits and skill. Now then, did you have one more question, Rainbow Dash?”

“Oh, I... guess I did,” Rainbow Dash said. “I can understand why you would want Daring Do to help you with this, but why me? Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy to be here, but why did you want me here?”

The Doctor chuckled a little before answering. “Well, as you may know, it’s always a good idea to keep a family together.”

Twilight pretty much threw the book when she read that line. “I didn’t read that right, did I?” Twilight asked. She picked the book back up and reread that last line. “This is impossible.” Twilight then continued to read the book.

”What are you talking about?” the prismatic pegasus asked the Doctor.

“Isn’t it obvious?” the Doctor replied. “Look at each other. Quite frankly, I’m not sure how you can’t figure out that you two are related.”

Rainbow Dash and Daring Do, for the first time since they stepped into the TARDIS, actually looked at each other and noticed their similarities. Their manes had a similar pattern (albeit contrasting coloration) and they had the same eye color. “I never noticed before,” Rainbow Dash said. “I knew we had similar adventurous personalities, but I never thought we’d actually be related.”

“Yup,” the Doctor replied. “Rainbow Dash, say hello to your great-grandmother. Daring Do, say hello to your great-granddaughter.”

“There’s no way...” Daring said to herself. “I never thought that my heir would be so... bright. How do you get through the jungle without getting eaten by predators?”

“Actually, I don’t adventure through jungles,” Rainbow Dash said. “I usually either charge straight into battle with my friends or just practice my extreme flying skills. I really take pride in my moves.”

“You can finish your family reunion later,” the Doctor said. “There’s kind of a Cyberpony invasion that’s on its way to enslave Equestria.”

“I suppose if it means saving Equestria...” Rainbow Dash said.

“We could catch up later,” Daring finished.

“All right, then,” the Doctor said, trotting over to the center pillar and nudging Derpy out of the way. “Let’s get going, everypony. ALLONS-Y!” The Doctor then pulled a huge lever and the four pegasi were on their way towards the Cyberpony ship.

Twilight lowered the book and just stared off into space for a moment. “I never would have seen that coming,” the alicorn said to herself with an expression of disbelief on her face. “Wait a second. Did he say ‘Cyberpony’!?”

Author's Note:

At long last, part 4 is here. I kind of decided on using Cybermen as the antagonists last-minute since I'm using Daleks later in MLPR. Don't worry, I'll make the Cybermen/Cyberpony thing work out, especially when you find out who they're allied with... Part 5 coming soon.

Comments ( 1 )

I DO hope this story isnt dead as a doornail as I have enjoyed what there is so far :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment