• Published 18th Jun 2013
  • 2,705 Views, 86 Comments

The Day My Life Began - Authora97



Drum roll please! (Insert drum noise here) It is the Prequel to 'The Day My Life Ended'! The moment you have been waiting for, so please. Read...

  • ...
14
 86
 2,705

PreviousChapters Next
The Princess and the Frog

I can’t bring her back.

I had been trying to for almost a month. At Home, Christmas was in two weeks. In Equestria, I hadn’t been back. I couldn’t think of a way to bring my sister back from the dead.

A part of me gave up. I was the gloomiest I had ever been at Christmas time. Usually, I was singing every song, playing every special, and wearing the cheeriest clothes around. I buy my family’s presents, and leave them anonymously like Santa Claus. I even paint my nails!

This year? Nothing. No presents, no clothes, no singing.

I read all sorts of new books, thinking to find a way to bring her back. Each one was only met with disappointment. She would’ve found a way by now. She would say something, which would give me an idea, and then I would save her life.

Storyline, I can’t even think her name without bursting into tears. This is the first time anyone close to me has died. Sure, my great grandpa died when I was ten, but I wasn’t that close with him. I remember Mom crying, though. It was weird, going a funeral for a relative I barely knew.

I had a fish. It died when I was out of town, but left her with a friend. Some of the people I knew in my Jumps died, but I didn’t really care.

She brought out the best in me. She made me want to be good. It was like, she was what held me together. I felt broken inside.

I had been having nightmares too. That door, that orange door. It was locked, but now the key was dead. I could feel her creeping around in my head, lying in wait like a tiger on the prowl.

Then, there was a light. The Princess and the Frog.

It was completely stupid. I shouldn’t have done it. A momentary lapse of judgment. What made me think it was smart?

I made a deal with Dr. Facilier.

...

...

...

There. Are you done laughing?

I know. The whole movie is showing how wrong it is to make deals with the shadow man. I did it anyway.

He said he could bring her back. He said to my face that he could bring her back. I signed the deal.

Next thing I knew, I was a frog.

Dr. Facilier then pointed out the fatal mistake in the deal. He could bring her back, but he won’t. That fucking little bastard played me!

I sulked in the swamp, figuring I might as well play along.

A week later, I met Tiana, Naveen, and Louis. They were lost in the swamp. They were happy to meet me, it seemed.

Naveen grinned at me, almost in a flirtatious manner. “Hello. I am Prince Naveen, of Maldonia.” He greeted.

I rolled my eyes, face palming.

“And, who are you?”

“Alyssa.” I said, remembering the name from this life. It was a good name, I felt, for a quick deal. “Alyssa Quinn.”

Naveen smirked. Tiana rolled her eyes. “What is a young thing like yourself doing in the swamp?”

“Sulking, mostly.” I shrugged, tracing my flipper through the water.

“Oh? Now why are you sulkin’?” Louis asked. “Ya seem pretty lively.”

I felt nervous. “I made a deal with the Shadow Man. He turned me into a frog.”

“You too?” Tiana asked.

I raised a brow, trying not to make me seem like a know it all. “What?”

“I’m stuck as a frog too.” Tiana said, pointing a thumb at Naveen. “The Prince over here made a deal with the Shadow Man, and then he got me turned into one.”

Naveen rolled his eyes. “Oh. Do not be such a grump. That is not how it happened.”

I gave him a flat look. I turned to Tiana. “Sorry. I’m rude. What’s your name?”

“Tiana.” The female frog said. “And the giant alligator is Louis.”

I nodded. “Nice to meet you Louis.” I blinked. “Wait. Naveen is a prince. What could he possibly want from the Shadow Man?”

Naveen chuckles nervously. “Uh. That is not important.” He gave me another smirk. “Why did you?”

I bit my lip. Or, at least I think I did. Do frogs have teeth?

“Oh come on now.” Louis began. “I’m sure whatever you did ain’t that bad.”

“I lost my little sister.” I said, before I could stop myself. “The Shadow Man said he could bring her back.”

Louis gave a shocked gasp. “What? You made a deal with him over a misplaced sister? Did you search all of New Orleans before making that crazy deal?”

“Louis.” Tiana said. I guess she understood my wording. Or, she noticed the tears growing in my eyes.

“Is that why you went to the bayou? To find ya sister? I don’t think I’ve seen any people around here.”

“Louis.” Tiana tried again.

“But really. Making a deal just because you lost your sister! How long she been gone? A few days?”

“Almost a month.” I squeaked.

“Ah. Louis.” Naveen was now trying to shut the alligator up.

“A month?! Girl, you need to try them police officers before you go to the shadow man!” Louis shook his head. “Mmm, hmmm, hmm. You humans. You are making some crazy deals these days. They don’t make no sense!”

“Louis! Naveen shouted, finally catching Louis’ attention.

The musical alligator leaned down. “Oh. Yes?”

“Not that kind of lost.” Naveen explained.

“What? But what other-”

*sniffle*

“Oh.”

I wiped my eyes. No tears. No crying. I am Morgan Spencer, and Morgan Spencer does not cry!

“He said he could bring her back, and then turned me into a frog. He said he could, but he wouldn’t! He tricked me!” I snapped. Then I sulked. “Now, I’m just sulking around the swamp. Can’t really think of a better thing to do.”

A moment of awkward silence.

“What are you three doing?” I asked, as kind as I had to.

“Oh. They’re going to Mama Odie’s.” Louis explained.

My eyes widened. “The crazy witch? I’ve heard some whispers about her. She actually sounds kinda nice.”

There was a pause.

“Do you wanna come?” Tiana asked.

I leapt up onto Louis. “Absolutely.”


I sighed.

“Louis.” I said, looking up at the gator. “I’m gonna need you to be really brave.”

Louis frowned, wringing his hands together. “W-Why?”

“I’m gonna have to yank it out.” I said. Louis’s eyes widened. “Louis, hey, buddy, be brave. Everything is going to be fine. I’m right here, and I’m not going anywhere.” I hopped over, hovering my webbed hand over the small thorn. “How about you think about playing your trumpet? Better yet, why not actually play it?”

Louis grinned, pulling it out. He blew on it. Some good jazz came out.

I yanked out the thorn. Louis barely noticed. I hopped around him, yanking out all of the others.

He stopped, a second after I pulled them out. “Hey, when’re ya gonna pull it out?”

“I already did. I pulled all of ‘um out.” I said, showing him the large bundle of thorns he had in his scales. “Ya see? Told ya being brave would help.”

Louis smiled. “Thank ya Alyssa.”

“It was no trouble.” I said. “I got a little one, and she gets things on her that I can’t even begin to think of how.” I blinked. “Seriously. The amount of tree sap I find on that child-”

“You have a little tadpole?” Louis asked, sounding surprised.

I blushed. Had I mentioned Lilac again? As my daughter? Why did I keep going that? “She’s...it’s complicated.”

“Ya either got a kid, or ya don’t.” Ray shrugged, flying closer to my face.

I took a step back. “She’s not really mine. Her mom died, and I’ve been watching her since.” Not technically a lie. Her mother did die, in a way.

“Do ya take care a her?” Louis asked.

“Yes.” I answered with a nod.

“Do ya feed her?” Ray asked.

“Yeah. Why wouldn’t I?”

“Do ya make sure she’s safe?”

“I wouldn’t let her out of the house if she wasn’t safe.” I argued.

“Do ya love her?” Ray finally asked.

“Of course I do! She’s my daughter! Why wouldn’t I love my-” I stopped myself, eyes going wide.

Ray and Louis smirked.

“I...I mean...she’s not...”

*crash*

Saved by the bell.


I laid back, watching the scene play out.

“Look how she lights up the sky.” Ray sang. “Ma Belle Evangeline.”

Louis gawked. “Ha ha' That ain’t a-” He was silenced by Naveen throwing a pebble at his head.

“Shh!” Naveen said.

Tiana looked to him, confused. Naveen shrugged.

I merrily listened to the song, suddenly interested in the words.

“So far above me yet I know her heart belongs to only me.” Ray sang, burning a heart with an arrow onto a tree. “Je t’adore-”

“I adore you.” Naveen translated.

“Je t’aime.”

“I love you.” Naveen translated, much to Tiana’s shock. “I am just translating!” He excused.

I giggled, watching Ray sing the song.

“Evangeline, you’re my queen of the night. So still, so bright.”

Naveen stood up, bringing Tiana with him.

I stood too, hopping on top of Louis.

“Oh, no no no. I don’t dance.” Tiana said, walking away from Naveen.

“That someone as beautiful as she, could love someone like me.

He grabbed her arm, pulling her back. The frog prince gave her a loving smile.

She hopped away.

Love always finds a way it’s true!.”

“I’ve never danced.” Tiana said.

I smiled, remembering the Whovian definition of dancing.

Naveen rolled his eyes, grabbing the string on her lilypad.

“And I love you, Evangeline.”

“If I can mince, you can dance.” Naveen explained.

I smiled. This part was super romantic.

Louis brought out his trumpet (from Storyline knows where) to play. Ray and him shared a knowing glance.

I hummed a few vocals, more as back-up than anything else.

Ray flew over to the flowers around the two frogs. He lit up all the flowers, making them shine. Finally, he flew into the air with a pink and green leaf.

The frogs dive into the water, swimmingly gracefully underneath while the rest of us played our part.

“Love is beautiful, love is wonderful! ” Tiana and Naveen leapt out of the air. “Love is everything, do you agree? Mais oui!”

They ended up back on a lilypad. Looking deep into each other’s eyes.

Ray flew up next to me. We both smiled, looking up at Evangeline.

“Look how she lights up the sky.” We both sang. “I love you, Evangeline.”

They almost kissed.

Tiana backed away. “You...You make for a good dance partner.”

“Oh.” Naveen said, crestfallen. “Yes.”


If this has taught me anything, it’s that I am older than Mama Odie by twenty-four years.

She would be laughing at me.

The song was over. Our mission was handed out by the magic gumbo.

Get to the Princess of the Mardi Gras Parade.

“Actually, I got a better idea!” Louis cheered.

The others went on ahead.

“Now hold on there, Missy,” Mama Odie spoke.

I turned back to the blind woman. She gestured for me to come back.

“Ah ain’t finished wit ya yet.”

“Alyssa...” Tiana said from behind me.

“I’ll catch up with you guys later. I promise.” I said, not taking me eyes off Mama Odie.

Hopping over towards the large pot where Mama Odie stood, I looked inside and back towards the Voodoo Lady.

“Now, tell Mama Odie what’s gotcha down.” She instructed.

Twiddling my frog thumbs, I began. “It’s my twin sister. She died almost a month ago. It was all my fault, now I’m all alone.” I explained. “I want her back.”

Mama Odie nodded and ‘hmmm’d’, then she laughed.

“Oh, child, ya think ya all alone but ya ain’t. Take a look at the gumbo.” Mama Odie stretched a leathery hand out over the tub.

The red slowly swirled. Forming images. Slowly, I saw people. Mom. Dad. Derek. Terence. Scott. My family. My cousins. My aunts, uncles and grandparents.

“My family won’t understand.” I told Mama Odie.

She gave a big hearted laugh. “Keep on lookin’!”

Giving her a wary look, I glanced down at bathtub.

The figures changed. It turned into Caroline and her sister Anna. All those other people at school. Mia and Shiny. Pinkie Pie. Fluttershy. Luna. The Doctor (the ninth and tenth), Rose Tyler, Martha Jones, Donna Noble, River Song, the members of the BAU, Jen, Jacque Lupei, Sally. So many more, I could barely catch them all.

“Them people are yer family. They never let ya go when ya needed it.” Mama Odie said as she tapped the gumbo with her staff. “But ders one girl who needs ya more den ya know.”

The images rippled. Soon all forming together and showing one thing.

Lilac.

My dragon. There she was. In all her cuteness. She was talking with Twilight, a banana but muffin with rubies on top in her claws. She was smiling up with her shining white teeth and glimmering blue eyes.

“Do you feel okay? Living with Raspberry I mean?”

Imma kill that unicorn.

Lilac laughed. “Totally! She raised me from an egg, treated me really nice, gave me food and a place to sleep. She was there when I woke up from a nightmare. She was there to sing me a lullabye. She never left me behind.

“She’s my mommy and I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

The image faded away, and I knew something I didn’t before.

I had a daughter. She needed me, so much.

“To da world ya may be one person, but ta that one person yer da world.” Mama Odie explained. “Ya see now child, what Mama Odie see?”

“Yep.” I said, nearly in tears.

“And whattaya gonna do bout that?”

Still staring at the tub, I thought it over. “I’m gonna go find Lilac. I’m gonna start treating her like family, like I should’ve been doing all along.”


Dr. Facilier was one scary ass mother fucker when he wanted to be.

Tiana and I were running through the graveyard. Tiana held the amulet, while I was holding up the rear.

The shadows demons were following behind us.

I was panting. Running after the Doctor was easy, running as a pony was easy, hopping as a frog was difficult.

“Tiana, go! I’ll hold off the Shadow Man!” I yelled, stopping in my tracks.

Tiana turned back to me. “Alyssa, I can’t-”

“Tiana.” I turned to her, looking her in the eyes. “Go and get your prince.”

The frog smiled, sadly. Then she hopped off.

I gulped, turning back to see the shadows gaining.

I stood proud. A memory of the cow from Barnyard Animals came to mind.

“And I won’t back down.” I sang.

The shadows came up to me. They swarmed around, searching for the amulet.

Dr. Facilier was looking down at me.

“I’m not letting you get to my friends!” I shouted.

The Shadow Man grinned, like a Chesire cat.

He raised his stick up high, bringing it’s head down on my before I could hop away.


All I could see was white.

It was one of those weird whites. That either went on forever, or five feet. Where you couldn’t tell if it was endless.

My body was covered in white. Like a hospital gown, but more glowy.

“Did I die?” I paused. “Again?”

“No. You are just mostly dead.”

I will admit this. Tell anyone else I said this, and I will deny it. I yelped, jumping up into the air like a scared little girl.

The was about my height, her skin was pale but I wrote that off as the whole ‘she’s dead’ thing. Her hair was long, and a light mocha brown, and her eyes were a lovely shade of midnight blue.

Just like Lilac’s.

She wore a green shirt, kinda looked a bit hippie-esque. The bell bottom jeans weren’t helping her case either.

“Mostly dead? Like in Princess Bride?”

“No.” The woman said. I shrugged. “It’s exactly like in ‘Princess Bride’.”

I smirked. “Nice. I liked that.”

The woman grinned. Then, frowned. “Beware the man of two faces, for he shall be your doom.” She warned.

“What?” I asked. “You mean Facilier?”

The woman shook her head. “The Man of Two Faces. He will come for you soon. He will be your undoing.”

I raise a skeptical brow.

“Oh, and you may want to cover your ears. This next bit gets kinda loud.”


My eyes shot open wide. I fell down to the ground with a plop.

“Ugh...” I groaned. “What...what happened to me? Did I get run over by a bus or something?”

Suddenly, I was tackled by three figures. Louise, Tiana, and Naveen.

“Gah! Guys I can’t breathe!” I choked.


“And then, the four of us went to Charlotte. We tried getting her and Naveen to kiss, but it was worthless. Midnight had passed, and she was no longer a princess.”

“Aww.”

“I know. Naveen and Tiana were sad, but embraced it. They were still in love, frog or human. It took some work to get a wedding together for frogs. Louis was Naveen’s best stallion. I was Tiana’s maid of honor. Mama Odie officiated the wedding.”

“They let her work at their wedding?”

“Yep. She was the only one with any sort of power over court. I don’t get it either.” I shrugged. “A whole lot of legal mumbo jumbo gumbo.

“Mama Odie pronounced them ‘stallion and mare’. They were allowed to kiss...then it happened.”

“What happened?”

“The spell. It was lifted off of Naveen, Tiana, and I. Why I was included, I still don’t know.” I explained. “Ya see, because Naveen was a prince, when he married Tiana she became a princess. It broke the curse.

“Now ponies, they went back to New Orleans. Tiana was finally able to open her shop. Naveen worked with her, helping her achieve her dream. Louis became a part of the in-house band. I was made part of the wait staff. It was fun to work in New Orleans for two weeks. At one point, we all broke out into a song called ‘Down in New Orleans’.” I nodded.

“Mom?”

“Yes?” I asked, looking over in her direction.

“I liked the part with Mama Odie’s song.” She smiled.

“Mama Odie was hilarious!” Snips laughed.

“Yeah. Hilarious.” Snails agreed.

“I liked Louis.” Sweetie Belle chimed.

“That shadow walker guy sounded hard cool!”

“Pwince Naveen thounded dweamy.” Twist sighed, getting a blissful look on her face.

“I liked Charlotte la Bouff.” Diamond Tiara smiled pridefully. “She was probably beautiful.”

I rolled my eyes. Work was always fun on Fridays.

“Now, kids, remember, your field trip to Canterlot is on Tuesday. You’ll need permission from your parents, or legal guardians.” I said. “You need to bring the permission slips Miss Cheerilee handed out by the end of Monday. Good?”

“Yes Miss Raspberry.” The children all announced.

I smiled. “Good.” *ring* *ring* “Have a marvelous weekend, kids.”

“Good bye Miss Raspberry!” The goals all cheered as they all ran out of the front door.

I have less than a week to re-write five months of Plans.

Fuck.

Author's Note:

Happy Valentine’s Day! Enjoy the Feels!
Comment, like, and Favorite! Also, read Day My Life Ended of this will make no sense!
Yes. Danielle Patterson made an appearance.

PreviousChapters Next