• Published 18th Jun 2013
  • 2,704 Views, 86 Comments

The Day My Life Began - Authora97



Drum roll please! (Insert drum noise here) It is the Prequel to 'The Day My Life Ended'! The moment you have been waiting for, so please. Read...

  • ...
14
 86
 2,704

PreviousChapters Next
How I Got My Cutiemark: Pony Version

“Raspberry, how did you get you get your cutiemark?”

Lifting my head up from the book I was reading, I turned to see the Crusaders. Scootaloo was pulling them all in her red cart. They were all wearing helmets, thankfully. Apple Bloom was giving me a hopeful look, same with Sweetie Belle and Lilac. Scootaloo reminded me of Rainbow Dash, looking like at any second she was gonna fly off.

Yes. The book. The one I had just barely managed to fix. One that my mother broke because she didn’t like because I was such a loner. It took three tries with the spell to get the book fixed, and I’knot even completely sure it is. That’s why I’m reading it, to make sure it’s 300% repaired.

Why did Mom do that? I can understand wanting to make your daughter socialize, but that was an extreme. What does she plan to do next? Take away my door? My computer? My second computer?

I hadn’t spoken to my mother in a long time, not since that day. Darcy noticed I was in a funk, and I was scared to admit that it was effecting my dreams. You know it’s bad when your dreams tell you.

I turned to Sweetie Belle, the one who asked the question. “My cutiemark story?”

“Yeah!” Apple Bloom said. “How did ya get it?”

“Why do you four want to know?” I asked.

“We were thinking of ways to get cutiemarks.” Sweetie Belle began.

“We’re gonna ask Rainbow, but we can’t find her!” Scootaloo said. Her raspy voice getting excited. “So they started asking everypony!”

“We just asked mah big sister, Fluttershy, an’ Rarity.” Apple Bloom deadpanned.

“And Fluttershy’s had Rainbow Dash in it!” Lilac pointed out.

“But it had a frilly song!” Scootaloo argued.

I held back a snicker. “Have you tried getting a cutiemark in debating?”

“What?” Scootaloo, Apple Bloom, and Lilac asked.

“Arguing.” Sweetie Belle groaned. “What would that cutiemark even look like?”

“Two gavels crossing over each other, probably with an weird explosion behind it.” I answered. “Or, maybe just one gavel?”

“We’re getting off track!” Scootaloo groaned.

“Sorry.” I apologized. “Going tangent is a thing with me. Cutiemark story anypony?”

The fillies leaned in close, except Scootaloo. Scootaloo leaned onto her scooter with a bored expression.

“The story is...there isn’t one.”

“Wait...what?” Scootaloo asked, looking confused.

“I was born with this puppy.” I said lightly tapping the book on my flank. “It’s been there my whole life.” ‘Apparently.’

“Oh just great!” Scootaloo groaned.

“How were you born with it?” Sweetie Belle asked.

“If you can answer that, Sweetie Belle, you will be my hero.” I sighed. “Lots of ponies have asked, but none have given me a good answer.”

Lilac tilted her head. “Did you ask everypony?”

“Everypony that listened.” ‘So, basically Killjoy.’

The fillies had downtrodden expressions.

“But...” I said, hoping to get their spirits up. “I can tell you what I know it means.”

Apple Bloom lifted her head. “But...Ah thought gettin’ yer cutie mark meant ya knew what yer special talent was.”

“It is.” I said, getting into my teacher voice. “But just because you know your talent, doesn’t mean you know what it means to have it.”

“What? Now you aren’t making any sense!” Scootaloo groaned.

“Occupational hazard.” I shrugged. “I figured this thing out when I was eleven years old. I had finally started looking into this thing a year before, and hadn’t gotten anywhere. Then, I was...hanging around...some of my oldest coworkers...”


A young Morgan Spencer was lying in her bed, watching the TV with rapt attention. Once she learned how real her Gift actually was, she wanted to make sure she was doing it right. That meant combing through every detail, every theory, and every character to make sure she didn’t embarrass herself or get herself in trouble.

She was watching ‘Criminal Minds’. It was really late, hours past her bedtime. She was watching the episode ‘No Way Out, Part II: The Evilution of Frank. Morgan didn’t know why, but she knew this episode was important. Both to her, and to...she hadn’t figured out that part yet. So she watched, absorbing every word like religious scripture.

“My team, let me tell you about my team.” Aaron Hotchner spoke in his firm tone. One Morgan had heard many times from her own father. “Agent Morgan fought to protect his identity from the very people who could save him. Why, because trust has to be earned, and there are very few people he truly trusts. Reid’s intellect is a shield which protects him from his emotions, and at the moment his shield is under repair. Prentiss overcompensates because she doesn’t yet feel she’s part of the team, she needn’t worry. Everyday Agent Jareau fields dozens of requests for our team, and every night she goes home hoping she made the right choices. Garcia fills her office with figurines and color, to remind herself to smile as the horror fills her screens.”

Morgan smiled. She had been alive for...maybe fifteen years now? She had seen a lot of horror movies (her parent’s didn’t know, so don’t tell!) along with detective shows. Ever since she was eight, she had been watching these shows. She had wondered why she could go into those shows, or movies. Was it a gift from God, like her father was always talking about? Was it a curse from the Devil, for liking this shows in the first place and disobeying her parents?

Now she knew. It was her own special kind of optimism. Her own figurines and bright color. She may not be able to get friends in school, or get the best grades, or get along with anyone in her family, but she could make others happy. She could make them smile. She could make their lives better, even at the expense of her own.

What she didn’t know, was there was a bright flash coming her eyes when she thought. said this. The same flash that happens when a pony gets their cutiemark...

“And Agent Gideon in many ways is damned by his profound knowledge of others, which is why he shares so little of himself, yet he pours his heart into every case we handle.”

Then, Morgan had a dark thought. Would her information of their futures be the cause of her greatest achievement, or her damnation?


Scootaloo tilted her head. “So...your cutiemark is making ponies happy?”

“Yes.” I nodded. “Using my smarts to make others happy.”

“Like Pinkie Pie!” Lilac cheered.

I laughed. “While Pinkie and I like making others happy, that doesn’t mean we have the same cutiemark. She throws parties to make ponies smile. I like to be more... behind-the-scenes.”

“What does that mean?” Apple Bloom asked.

“It means, that while Pinkie gets all up in your face and drags you to a party, I like to little hints at making ponies happy. Sending a gift on a birthday, giving them a cup of sugar when they ask, saving them from a burning building. You know, behind-the-scenes stuff.”

“And Aunt Killjoy?” Lilac asked. “What does she do to make people happy?”

“I wouldn’t ask her that question.” I said quickly, filled with terror at the thought of Killjoy explaining the birds and the bees to Lilac. Standing up off the ground, I shook my head to get rid of the Killjoy-sex-talk thought. “If you want to find Rainbow Dash, I think she might be on her way to Sugarcube Corner.”

Scootaloo’s face brightened. “Finally! Some action! Come on!”

The orange pegasus’ wings began to buzz, and Lilac gave me an almost frightened look. “Bye Mommy!”

“Stay alive!” I waved, watching the fillies and dragonette ride off.


The walk to the bistro was much shorter than I imagined. I found the Crusaders and Twilight quickly, since they were sitting at Twilight’s usual table.

The unicorn noticed me instantly. “Hello Raspberry.”

“Hello Sparkle of Twilight.” I greeted, walking up beside the Crusaders.

“What are you doing here?” She asked, sounding slightly annoyed.

“I figured since these were asking about cutiemarks, I would go around and listen with them. To be honest, I’m looking forward to hearing yours.” I smiled.

Twilight gave me a wary glance, then continued. “As a young filly in Canterlot, I always wanted to go to the Summer Sun Celebration, where Princess Celestia raises the sun.” Twilight now had a far off look in her eye, a remembering smile on her muzzle. “And I saw the most amazing, most wonderful thing I’ve ever seen.”

“What did you see?” I asked.

“Celestia raising the sun.” Twilight answered, a delighted smile on her face. “I poured myself into learning everything I could about magic. My parents decided to enroll me in Princess Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns. It was a dream come true! Except for one thing... I had to pass an entrance exam!”

The Crusaders gasped.

Twilight went on. “I knew it was the most important day of my life, that my entire future would be affected by the outcome of this day and I was about to blow it! But, then my magic surged! It went crazy, blasting spells left and right. My parents and examiners were turned into plants!”

“Was one a cactus?” I asked.

“Yes.” Twilight said, giving me a brief glare. “And it made Spike’s egg hatch, and made him grow to an enormous size that broke the roof!”

The five of us giggled. It was a funny image, seeing Spike the size of a building.

“The next thing I knew, Princess Celestia was there! She was telling me that she wanted me as her protege, to help hone my studies. Then, she pointed out to me that I had my cutiemark! At that point, I was ecstatic!” She squealed. “I started bouncing around...”

She leapt around the table, muttering ‘yesyesyesyes’.

“Okay. Okay.” Apple Bloom nervously said.

“We’re happy for you, Twilight.” Sweetie Belle grinned.

I brought out my camera. *click*

“What was that?” Apple Bloom asked.

“Probably just a bug.” I shrugged.

Lilac smiled widely. “That was a great story, Miss Twilight! Did you like Scootaloo? It had a huge dragon in it!”

The orange and magenta pegasus groaned. “Yeah, thrilled. Let’s get out of here while we still can.”

As the four escaped, I sat happily as Twilight continued to bounce around the table.

“Miss, are you alright?” The waiter asked Twilight, who finally stopped bouncing.

The mare blushed. “Yes.”

She sat back in her chair, and I sat in the one across.

“Please, take a seat Raspberry.” Twilight deadpanned.

“I already sat down, but thank you.” I grinned happily. “So...how has your life been? I feel like I haven’t seen you in forever.” ‘Which I blame on the Thanksgiving vacation.’

“You saw me last week.” Twilight said, in that same tone.

“True, but it was a very long week.” I commented. “So, have you talked with Celestia since you saw her last? I sure hope Philomena is doing okay.”

Princess Celestia.” Twilight snapped in a low tone. “Has only rewritten us with her well wishes. She says Philomena is in full health, and shall stay so for a long time.”

“Phew.” I sighed. “I’m glad. Philomena was a really nice bird. One heck of a prankster too. Still can’t believe you thought Philomena was gonna die.”

There was a pause. “I didn’t. Fluttershy did.”

I chuckled. “Right, and you thought we would get banished and arrested in the place we were banished to.”

Twilight blushed. “It was a perfectly reasonable fear.”

I have her a questioning look. “Seriously?”

“It was!”

I laughed. Twilight glared. “And what are you scared of hmm? What’s your reasonable fear?”

A shudder went down my spine. “I’m scared of tests.”

Twilight blinked. “...tests? And you called mine strange?”

“Hey. I have a perfectly good reason of being afraid.” I defended. “I went through testing that traumatized me, most likely for life.”

“What was it on?” Twilight Sparkle, novice scientist asked.

I gulped.


“Well, we’ll need to take blood and hair samples today.” Agent Meyers said.

I struggled against the restraints. Curse this thirteen year old body. Why couldn’t I have a sixteen year old, or maybe a twenty-one year old? At least then I could get drunk.

“Don’t worry. These tests will be very short today.” The agent said.

“You bastard! I hope you burn in hell for fucking eternity!” I screamed at him, just as he pushed a needle into my arm. “AHHH!”

These people had found out what I could do. They knew what I was. They knew I could Jump. They kept running tests on me. This is what I get for trying to help Cassia.

I hate tests.


“Biology.” I half-lied.

“A biology test scarred you for life?” Twilight asked, skeptical. “How?”

“How does banishment scare you?” I countered.

“I am forced to leave my family and friends behind.” Twilight said.

I paused. “Well, tests just scare me. I’ve actually gotten better. I used to have panic attacks when somepony even said the word.” A dark chuckle came from my throat. “Dang, those were embarrassing. Glad my mom was there, or else I don’t know what would happen.”

“Yes. Your mother. What was she like?” Twilight asked.

I raised a brow. “That’s a little private.”

“You heard my cutiemark story, how I got Spike, and became the Princess’ student.”

A beat. “Good point.” I shrugged. “Mom was kinda...your basic school mare. She really liked teaching foals. My dad was the same, except he was more...high school based. A math teacher.”

“Your parents were teachers?” The unicorn asked, sounding shocked.

“Shocked?”

“Yes.” Twilight said.

“It’s cool. My brothers were smart too. My brother was twelve, and was in high school math. The other was an inventor.” I shrugged. “Basically, everypony in my family was smart.”

“...you keep using past tense.” Twilight commented.

“Such an astute mare.” I congratulated. “I should get going. I have a meeting with my roommate. I need to remind the guidelines for when she takes Lilac camping this weekend.”

Getting up from the seat, I gave Twilight a smile. “Have a nice day Sparkle of Twilight. You might wanna hurry, Rainbow is going to explain her story at Sugarcube. It’ll be worth wild.”

With that, I walked away. I had to talk with my sister.


Dear Celestia,

It’s me. Raspberry Stardust. Just thought I would say ‘hey’. Also, I have a sneaking suspicion you’re looking into my past. (No, Sparkle of Twilight didn’t tell me you were looking.) Please don't. It's not a pretty thing. I looked back at it all myself, and I wish I didn’t. Just please let it stay in the past where it belongs.

On an unrelated note, Killjoy says hi! She says Luna is showing favoritism by only to my dreams. I kinda used magic to block Killjoy’s dreams from anypony except me. So, if Luna goes to check and gets kicked out, tell her not to panic. I’ve seen my sister’s dreams and they were...less than pleasant.

Your New Penpal,

Raspberry ‘Razz’ Stardust


Darcy/Killjoy


“And....”

“And” I droned. “I won’t explain how sex works.”

Raspberry nodded. “Good. You learn things.”

“You taught me everything I know.” I remarked.

“Gold star.” Raspberry said, patting on my head. “It was a good day. I got pictures of Twilight jumping around.”

I chuckled. “That is funny.”

My sister walked over to my desk, making careful notice of my blood jars. Two of which had blood inside. “Some animals didn’t like me.”

“Harming animals is a sign of serial killers.” Raspberry droned.

“I was one. Don’t you remember that case in Criminal Minds?” I asked, starting to laugh.

“The one where I accidentally profiled my little sister, and correctly at that?” Morgue smirked.

“The very same.”

“The one where you killed people Dexter style(1)?”

“Oh yeah. That was fun.”

“It’’s kinda sad. I profiled you before I actually knew you.”

“Did it make any easier to grow up with me?” I asked.

Morgue chuckled. “No.”


The sun had set, and Lilac and I were setting up the fire. It was really easy with a dragon around, much easier than those stupid lighters.

The two of us were roasting marshmallows, enjoying the quiet. Well, Lilac might’ve been. I personally liked seeing the marshmallows burn.

“So, kid, how’s life?” I asked, staring at the marshmallow as it burned.

The kid giggled. “It’s really, really good! I have nice friends, and today we went all over town trying to get cutiemarks!”

I lifted the marshmallow out of the fire, gently putting out the flame on it. “You know you can’t get a cutiemark, right?”

“I know that, but that don’t mean I can’t find a special talent.”

‘And I thought I had bad speaking.’ I thought.

“Any leads?”

“Any what?” Lilac asked.

I rolled my purple eyes. “Any ideas of what that talent is?”

“No...but...Sweetie Belle is really good at singing. Kinda like Mommy is. Apple Bloom is good at making stuff, and Scootaloo is really, really good at skateboardin’.” Lilac said, pulling off her marshmallow. “I don’t know what I’m good at.”

“You’re smart.” I shrugged. “Smarter than I was at that age.”

Lilac giggled. “Your smart too, Auntie Killjoy.”

“Ha! Tell your mom that.” I laughed. “How was-”

“How did you get your cutiemark?”

My head snapped to Lilac. My silver hair falling over my face. “What?”

“Mommy told us her cutiemark story.” Lilac explained. “She told us it was making ponies happy. I asked her what you do, and she wouldn’t say. So, how did you get your cutiemark?”

“Why do you wanna know? And why should I tell you?”

The purple dragon smiled innocently. “Because tomorrow is my birthday. The big Number Five!”

Shit.’ My mind immediately thought.

“Well...” I didn’t have a present, so this would do. “If I tell you, then you can’t expect me to get you something tomorrow.”

Lilac giggled. “Tell the story! Tell the story!”

“I won’t tell it as good as Razz, but alright...”



(1): Based on the show Dexter where he kills serial killers the way they killed other people. If any fans of the show have an argument, please post it in the comments.

Author's Note:

Happy All Hallows Eve...Eve...
Sorry if this chapter was a little...meh.

PreviousChapters Next