• Published 18th Jun 2013
  • 2,696 Views, 86 Comments

The Day My Life Began - Authora97



Drum roll please! (Insert drum noise here) It is the Prequel to 'The Day My Life Ended'! The moment you have been waiting for, so please. Read...

  • ...
14
 86
 2,696

PreviousChapters Next
The Missing Piece of My Heart

During our short walk, I noticed Spike wearing a pink apron and pushing a food cart. I guess it was time for the Dragon Migration. Looking back at Lilac, I thought it was the perfect time to see other dragons.

I followed the purple and green dragon into a clearing, a very large clearing I might add, with a rectangular trench in the middle.

“Hiddy Ho.” I greeted. “Excellent day for a migration huh?”

Four mares and one dragon turned to me, all looking angry.

“Right, forgot the outfit.” Quickly placing Lilac on the dirt, my horn glowed yellow before giving me my camouflage robe from my closet at home. “Better?”

“What are you doing here?” Rainbow Dash asked, sounding mad.

“Look, I know some of you are still angry over what happened a couple weeks ago but let me say that I meant no harm. Plus, you guys did the same to me.”

“You foalnapped Twilight!” Rainbow Dash yelled.

“She tied me up and threw me in her basement all because Future Twilight said I had a hoof in what happened! Foalnapping her back was just my way of returning the favor.” I debated. “And I’m here because I thought it would be nice to show Lilac other dragons. She is one after all in case you couldn’t tell.”

Looking at my adopted daughter, I saw a smile grow on her face. “Really?! Dragons are coming to Ponyville?!” She beamed.

“Yep and I know Sparkle of Twilight won’t stop me from watching this once in a lifetime opportunity. Right Twi?”

We all looked over at the purple unicorn, she gave me a semi-harsh look. “Fine.” She grumbled.

Not being able to stop her, Lilac ran over and hugged Twilight.

“Thank you Ms. Twilight!” Lilac cheered.

“Aww.” I said. “How adorkable.”

I walked over towards a nice spot in the dugout. I made sure it was next to Twilight, since the others hated me right now.

“I thought you said you wouldn’t help us anymore.” Twilight said, coldly.

Holding back a sigh, my head lowered. The two of us had a huge fight while we were in Canterlot. It was pretty clear we didn’t want to talk about it. It was a really bad fight. Seriously, I have never had a fight that bad before. Even with Darcy, and she tried murdering me in our last argument.

“I’m not helping you.” I told Twilight, trying to copy her tone. “I’m helping Lilac.”

The mare turned their backs to me quickly, looking out with their binoculars into the sky.

“I don’t see any dragons.” Twilight whispered, yet it was loud enough for everypony to hear.

“Me neither.” Applejack added.

“Me neither neither.” Pinkie smiled, looking thru them backwards. Funny.

“You don’t think we missed them do you?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“No,” Twilight began. “I don’t think so. We’re just a little early and I’m glad we are. This way we can watch every moment of the migration without bringing any unwanted attention to ourselves.”

When Twilight said migration I silently counted down from three.

“OH YOU-WHO!” Rarity yelled from a rolling red carpet in her red, yellow and purple camouflage with a big feathery hat. The fashionista reached the trench, letting loose a bunch of streamers into the air as she did. “Well, what do you think? Am I the toast of the trench or what?”

“Pravissima!” I cheered, clapping my hooves. “That outfit is perfect, for hiding in The Chaos Capital of the World.” Rarity shot a glare at me. “Sorry. Compliments sometimes come out as insults. My bad.”

“What is she doing here?” Rarity asked Twilight, looking away from me. Twilight’s horn glowed pink as the whole carpet and streamers flashed away.

“Raspberry Stardust and Lilac came to see the Migration. Is something wrong with that?”

“Yes. If I recall Twilight she was the mare that took you away to Canterlot two weeks ago without even telling us.” Rarity argued.

“She was gonna go on her own Rares, I just sped things up.” I tried not to put too much blame on Twilight. Lest we have another fight.

“And how did ya know that Missy?” Applejack asked.

“From the Smartypants incident. Twilight still had a tendency to overreact to things.” I turned to the purple unicorn. “No offense meant.” The unicorn ignored me.

“It wasn’t your decision to make!” Rainbow Dash argued with me.

“You’re right. It was yours.” I said, struggling to keeping my tone calm. “I’m shocked none of you sent a letter to Celestia about it!”

“Don’t you talk about the Princess like that!” Rainbow Dash yelled.

“Why not? She wants ponies to treat her like one of them. Why shouldn’t I call her by her name?”

“It’s disrespectful!” Rarity said, lifting her nose in a very sophisticated manner.

“Girls, the dragons!” Twilight’s voice yelled above our own. It was then I noticed the dragon’s flying overhead.

We watched for a while, our fight forgotten, til Spike handed out treats.

Rainbow started laughing.

“Yeah right Spike! That’s one of the scariest apron’s I’ve ever seen! Hahaha!” Rainbow laughed, Pinkie and Applejack joining her.

“What’s wrong with wearing aprons?” Spike asked. “You won’t be laughing when you spill blueberries all over your scales!...feathers. That’s one tough stain!”

“One tough stain against one lame dragon.”

“That wasn’t very nice.” I growled, not moving from looking up at the dragons. Seriously, I growled like a dog in a junkyard. I could see Lilac backing up from the corner of my eyes. “Fluttershy would be smacking you upside the head for that.”

This, of course, went unheard over Rarity’s yelling.

“Or act like them.” Twilight said. Great, no one is listening to me. That helped my teenage self-esteem.

“My little Spikey Wikey is perfect the way he is.” Rarity said.

Ignoring their unknowing insults to the dragon, I turned to mine.

“Lilac, you know I’m proud of you right?”

She nodded her little scaly head.

“I know Mom. I remember Spike during his birthday remember?” Lilac reasoned.

That was a tough day. Lilac actually had nightmares for a week. Spike had tried grabbing Scootaloo’s scooter. Lilac hid behind a barrel, but she was still terrified. She knew that it wasn’t really Spike. Her crush took a huge dent, though. She still liked Spike.

Lilac. She was always so good.

“Good, cause I don’t want my little scaly princess thinking down on herself. As Killjoy would say; criers get slapped.” I tried to kill the growing sense of mourning in my chest.

Not the time, emotions, go back to bed. I have bigger issues than my lack of crying.

Not paying attention, I barely noticed Spike leaving in an angry huff.

This was gonna be a long week.


That night, I was tucking Lilac in for bed. She still looked down about the whole idea of her not being a dragon. No such things were said to her, but I could tell from the look in her eyes she questioned it. Not even a banana nut muffin with rubies on top lifted her mood.

“Mom...” Lilac asked after I finished singing our song.

“Yeah Lilac?”

“Where did I come from?” She asked.

Damn, this is where having limited memory becomes a problem.

“Princess, you crashed into my backyard as an egg. That’s all I know, I’m sorry I don’t know anymore. It doesn’t mean I love you any less.” I comforted. Before carefully getting out of her bed, I kissed her forehead. Quietly, I left her room.

Why did I have the feeling this would be the last time I did this for a while?


Waking up late that morning, I noticed it was lunchtime. Hearing silence come from upstairs I assumed Lilac went to the Corner to get breakfast. It seemed alright. Having a quick daffodil sandwich, I just barely noticed a letter fall from the cabinet.

Dear Mom,


Sorry about this, but you’re still asleep. I still want to know about the whole being a dragon thing. There’s just this big hole in me, the part that wants to know who I am and where I come from.

I’ve decided to go the library and do some research (that’s the word right?). I should be back by the time you wake up.

Love you!

Your little scaly princess

-Lilac

Oh please dear Story no.

Dropping my lunch, I grabbed the note in my teeth and made a beeline for the library. Please don’t let it be happening, please no.

I was going so quickly, I could hear people yelling at me for knocking something over. Yelling a quick apology I kept going, not stopping til I nearly broke the door of the library.

“Raspberry!” Twilight screamed.

Looking around, I noticed books everywhere, except in the shelves. Some of them were cleared to make room for a large table where a certain white unicorn was making a certain dragon costume

I’m too late.

“Please...no...” I muttered before falling on my knees, looking straight forward as the thought of what happened came to me.

“Uh...is she okay?” I heard Rainbow Dash asked.

“I don’t think so.” Twilight said. “Raspberry, what are you doing here?” She raised a brow. “You aren’t here to he-”

Barely paying attention, I lifted the note in my magic into the purple unicorn’s face.

“Oh dear...” Twilight said.

“She went to the Migration, didn’t she?” I asked, not even knowing I said them til the words left my mouth.

Twilight and Rarity tried to think of ways not to tell me, I lowered my head into my hooves. Their attempts at hiding it meant she did. Oh dear Storyline...please no...not her...Story please not Lilac...no...don’t start crying...Morgan Spencer does not cry!

“Yeah Lilac left. But what you’d expect after last week?” Rainbow Dash said bluntly.

Wow, I never realized how much being blunt like that hurt til now. Wait...what did I say about crying! Tears, go away! Get back in there you stupid droplets of water!

“Rainbow Dash! Why’d you tell Raspberry that?!” Twilight yelled.

“What? She asked.” Rainbow shrugged.

“We were trying to spare her feelings.” Rarity said through clenched teeth.

“So? After what happened with Discord, I’m not even sure she has any.” Rainbow Dash said, again, bluntly. I ignored the burning in my chest.

“Well I do.” I said. “I do and it sucks. I do have emotions Rainbow Dash, I’m just great at hiding it.” There was a giant lump in my throat, and it wouldn’t go down. “No matter what you think about me, that is my daughter out there. She’s missing. She ran away to a Dragon Migration.” Horrible ideas that had been suppressed since I found the note came to me. “They may have had a process where the weakest egg was removed, and Lilac was that egg, and they’ll kill her because they think she’s still weak. They might use her as food.” My eyes started to water in terror. “They might kill her, or make her kill something. Oh my Story, what if they kill her?!” I looked over at Twilight. “Her real parents might find her and decide they want her back. She might say no and then they’ll try to kill her. They’ll find out she was raised by a pony and try to kill her. How do dragons even kill other dragons? Do they skin them, or do they burn them alive?”

The three mares were looking at me in worried shock. “Raspbe-”

“Lilac might be put through some dragon initiation, and she’ll get scared and run, and they’ll kill her.”

“Woah. Raspberry has a lot of bad ideas.” Rainbow commented.

“My daughter is missing and you expect me to think sunshine and rainbows?” I growled. “What is wrong with you?”

“Darling, hold on, let’s not do anything we’ll regret.” Rarity began. “Lilac is going to be fine. Relax.”

“Can’t.” I shook my head. “You guys gotta understand, my mind goes worse case first, and then tries to be optimistic about it or find a way to fix it. I can’t really function right now.”

Before another word could be said, the emotions that resurfaced became too much. The world went black.


When I woke up, I was back in my bed. Not my one at Home, the one in Equestria. My subconscious was nice and I didn’t have any dreams, I was living a nightmare so I guess that made sense. Now I know what those parents go thru on Castle when their child is missing. It feels like any second somepony will walk thru the door with her-

NO! MORGAN SPENCER DOES NOT THINK LIKE THAT!

Crud...I’m crying again.

“Are you okay Raspberry?” A kind and meek voice asked from behind me.

Turning my head, I noticed Fluttershy standing near my bed.

“No.” I sniffled.

The pegasus came over to me, gently placing a hoof on my back and rubbing it. “It’s gonna be okay. Lilac will come back.” Fluttershy said.

Tears fell from my eyes, I rubbed them away with my hoof. I’m gonna end up discording myself at this rate.

“How? How can it ever be alright again?” I choked out. “They’re both gone now.”

This was still an episode I knew pretty well. Spike goes to the Migration with Twilight, Rarity and Rainbow in a disguised dragon suit. He plays King of the Hoard, belching contest, and Lava Jumping. Finally he goes to smash a phoenix egg, but ends up saving it and keeping it for a pet.

Now, Lilac went with him. To an all boy gang with dangerous activities. What if they exclude her because she’s a girl? What if she jumps into the fire pit and bursts into flames? What if they make her try and break a phoenix egg? What if they do something worse than break a phoenix egg?!

Holy smurf. I’m turning into Twilight. And to top it all off I think I’m starting to hyperventilate.

Sure enough, I was taking huge gasps of air. Smurf I think I’m having a Panic Attack!

“Raspberry, calm down, please. Lilac is going to be just fine. Oh, please calm down.” Fluttershy squeaked next to me.

“Can’t *gasp* *gasp* breathe *gasp* *gasp* panic attack *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* help.”

Panic attacks while Jumping hurt way more than panic attacks while at Home.

Fluttershy decided to wrap one of her wings around me, it slowly calmed me down. One of her hooves began brushing on my mane. The ability to breathe came back after a moment, tears fell quickly down my face. This day was just too fucking much for my fragile mind. Then again, so was the rest of the year.

“Why?” I cried.

“Hmm?” Fluttershy asked.

“Why do I have to be alone?”

193 years I’ve been alive. 151 years I’ve been alone. Why did the universe hate me?

“Oh, Raspberry, you’re not alone.” Fluttershy comforted.

“My family is dead, my daughter is missing, you all hate me, and my life sucks. The universe hates me.” Gripping a pillow in my hooves, I shoved my face into it. I felt a hoof run at my back.

“I didn’t know about your family.” Fluttershy said.

Quickly remembering the research I used for my family, I continued crying into the pillow.

“They died and I wasn’t there to help them. My parents. My brothers. My twin sister died because of me. I killed her.” I hiccuped. “It was all my fault. Now Lilac is gone, I have nothing left.”

Fluttershy continued rubbing my back, moving over so she was lying next to me on the bed.

“I’m sorry.” Fluttershy whispered.

“Just leave, it’s what everypony else does.”

The pegasus stayed silent, but I heard her fly out of my room and close the door.


Twilight Sparkle


Rarity, Rainbow and I were waiting in Raspberry’s living room. It was much cleaner than I expected for her house. The furniture was bold colored with gray carpeting. While Rainbow hovered and Rarity sulked, I was looking at some photos.

There were a few of Raspberry and her family. One was a large pegasus stallion that had a brown coat with black zebra stripes, forest green eyes and a short dark brown mane with a sterling silver stripe. A short blue unicorn mare with a bright blue coat, a bright blonde mane with midnight blue stripes and matching blue eyes. Their cutiemarks were blocked by two colts, one looking like the stallion and the other looking like the mare. The fifth pony was Raspberry, although much younger. The sixth was a pegasus with a dark red coat, silver mane and purple eyes.

The stallion with the stripes must have been her father. I remember Raspberry talking about him some odd months ago. She had said he was a good stallion. That made must be her mother, and those colts are her brothers.

They were all smiling, standing before a home that wasn’t this one. Why hadn’t I heard about them?

“Mares…”

All our heads snapped towards Fluttershy, we had called her over here when Raspberry fainted.

“Is she alright Fluttershy?” Rarity asked.

The butter yellow pegasus shook her head. “The poor mare is beside herself. I tried to talk to her, but she umm… told me to leave.”

“Did she say anything?” I asked, worried.

“Oh yes. She said Lilac was all she had. Her family is…well…gone.”

“So? Let’s just go after them and-” Rainbow started.

“Umm…no…Rainbow, when I said gone, I meant gone.”

The three of us gasped.

“Gone? Oh the poor dear!” Rarity gasped.

“That sounds really bad.” Rainbow Dash said, landing on the carpet.

“I can’t imagine life without my family.” I admitted. “Mares, we have to go after Spike and Lilac. If not for them, then for Raspberry.”

The two nodded, we began towards the door and I turned to Fluttershy.

“Try and make sure she stays in the house. Wouldn’t want her doing anything she would regret.”

Fluttershy nodded, carefully flying back up to Raspberry’s room.

We had some dragons to find.


Lilac


Spike and I had been walking for two days, both of us were pretty exhausted. I think we’re close to the Migration, another day or so.

Right now, we were next to a fire Spike had made and eating some gems we brought with us.

“Spike?”

“Yeah Lilac?” Spike said, making sure the fire was still going.

“Do you think Mom misses me?” I asked, staring into the fire.

“Totally, Twilight probably misses me too.” Spike sighed.

“Maybe we shouldn’t have left.” I said, looking back the way we came.

“No. Twilight said it was a good idea. We had to find who we are. Your mom and Twilight understand.” Spike reminded me, pulling a blanket out from his bag. “Well, goodnight Lilac.”

“Goodnight Spike.”

I watched as Spike fell asleep, but I couldn’t. So I began humming Mom and me’s special song.


Morgan/Raspberry


It was cold. That was all I knew. Just...just cold...and empty...and so dark...

“Hehehe...”

Who was that?

Why did it matter? I was alone...cold, and alone...like always...like I should always be...

“Tick tock, goes the clock.” A voice purred.

Darcy left me. She tried to kill me. I ruined her life, I deserved it. I still do.

“You cradled and you rocked her.”

River Song left me. She died. I have her journal in one of my Vaults. The Special Objects Vault.

She died. I had to help her die, because I knew that was how she died. How she always had to die. She died for love. She died with people she loved.

What about me? I’m alone...again...

“Tick tock, goes the clock.”

River implied I had someone in my future. A pretty boy all me own. Pfft. Like I was gonna survive that long. It was definitely just a practical joke.

“She's no longer your daughter.”

Lilac.

She left me too.

Because I couldn’t answer her questions. How could I tell her she was a drawing just a few short hours before I knew her? That everything I had done since coming here was a lie?

“Tick tock, goes the clock. You gave all you could give her.”

I don’t want to be alone, but I have to be. I hurt everyone I am near. Darcy, River, Lilac, even Caroline could get hurt by me sooner or later.

“Tick tock, goes the clock. Now Morgana waits for Morgan.”

There was a hiss. Two small glowing orange lights came on overhead.

“BE GONE FROM THIS REALM, FOUL CREATURE OF THE NIGHT!”

I blinked. “No.” I whimpered.

The lights went away, being replaced by blue ones. “Dearest friend, what was this? Thou said they had gotten rid of the demon?”

“She was going to make it stop.” I whimpered. “She was going to make my pain stop. That was our deal.”

“You made a deal with it?!”

“As long as I had my daughter, she would leave me alone.” I almost started crying. “I hate being alone!”

“You are never alone.” The blue lights comforted.

I felt something wrap around me. It was wings, the wings of a Princess.

“I could be in a room full of ponies.” I whimpered. “And still feel alone. I make them leave. They all should hate me. I deserve it.”

“Why dost thou feel this way?” The blue light asked. “You are without a doubt, the pony with the lightest heart. You are kind when most are not, and forgiving when others are hateful.”

“Send her back. I want her back.”

“Why? Why would you want that?” Her wings flared. “Why would anypony want to be controlled by a nightmare?”

“Because I want to die!” I screamed.

“Remember the day we met?” The light asked. “You told Us your Rules. What was Rule Three?”

I shook my head. “No! Bring her back! I don’t want to be alone!”

“So, thou gives up?”

“I never give up!” I shouted, then blinked. “I never give up. I make the impossible happen.”

There was a wave of pride. It was less cold.

“Hope is the light that vanquishes all shadows.” I went on.

“Yes.” The light smiled.

I still felt scared. “Tell me Lilac is okay.” I pleaded. “Please.”

“She is under my protection, my friend. I promise.”


Lilac

“Alright, teenage dragons! Now that’s more my speed. And size.” Spike cheered.

I still felt really scared. It was like my first day of school. There were all sorts of big, scary looking dragons around in every color under the rainbow. Well, except pink.

The sky was dusty red, and the entire place felt like the inside of one of those hot tubs at the spa. Dragons were constantly roaring, and spitting out very big bursts of orange fire.

Spike had managed to find a deep looking cavern, where I could see piles and piles of gems. Some topaz, diamonds, sapphires...

Mommy loved sapphires...

“Come on Lilac!” Spike cheered, running down towards the teenage dragons.

I gulped. They looked scary, and mean, like Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon.

Slowly, I crawled down the mountain. It took a minute or two, but we made it the bottom.

Spike started walking towards the dragons.

“Spike!” I said, scared of being alone.

The dragon turned back to me. “What?”

I saw the big red one slam the bigger brown one on the dirt. “They look mean.”

Spike shrugged it off. “Haha! Nah! They’re fine.”

I gulped. I was scared, really scared. But if Spike was brave, then I could be too.

The two of us walked towards them, but I got stuck behind some of the dragons.

“Um, excuse me?” All the dragons stopped, and looked down at Spike. They looked mad. “Uh, hi. I’m Spike.”

A deep purple dragon with sickly yellow scales came up, looking down at Spike. Maybe? His head scales covered his eyes from view. How could he see?

“You sure your name is Spike and not Shrimp?!” He mocked.

The others all started laughing.

“No, it’s Spike! I’m not, I mean, I’m sure about that...”

“You look more like Peewee to me.” The giant brown dragon insulted.

“I’m Lilac, in case anyone was wondering.” I said, rubbing my arm and scuffing the dirt.

There was some quiet.

“Woah! What’s with the brat?” A white dragon with red scales asked.

I felt someone grab my tail, pull me up. I struggled, seeing the giant brown one holding me. I whimpered, curling myself into a ball. My eyes closed right, very scared.

“Bet she got lost looking for mommy.” One laughed.

There was more laughter all around from the other dragons. My lip quivered. I wanted Mommy, but I wanted to know more about me. This was a bad idea...

“Hey guys, c’mon, seriously. Leave them alone or they might fly away.” The red and orange dragon said. That made the others go quiet.

He must be the Diamond Tiara. He picked Spike and I up by our tails. “That is, uh, if they had any wings!”

He dropped is both to the hard dirt. All the other dragons started laughing again. It made me want to cry.

No! No. Crying means they win. Diamond Tiara was always happy after I started crying. She liked to be mean. I guess dragons are mean too. Well, I mean, these dragons are mean. Some might be nice, I don’t want to be rude to them.

The dragons were getting closer to me, so I hid behind Spike. They all laughed again.

“You fly on your mommy’s back during the migration?” The brown dragon asked.

“Not exactly-” Spike began.

“No, no, can’t you see baby Spike and baby Lilac just hatched?” The purple dragon mocked. “I bet they still sucks their claws at night!”

“No, I haven’t sucked my claw in months!” Spike yelled.

I learned from Scootaloo that I shouldn’t respond to those. Instead, I just held my tail like it was a blanket.

The dragons just laughed again.

The head dragon leaned in closer, glaring at Spike. I squeaked, and hid behind my tail.

“Well, if you weren’t just hatched.” He asked. “How come we haven’t seen you two around before?

“Oh!” I cheered. This I could answer. I came out from my hiding place and gave the red dragon a big smile. “We live in Ponyville with-”

He just laughed at me. My face fell. He was mean, I forgot.

“Hahaha! Ponyville? That explains it!” He laughed. He turned to the other dragons. “I knew there was something vaguely pony-ish about the two of you!” He stomped towards me, and I started backing up.

Unfortunately, it was right into Spike.

“If I didn’t know any better, I’d say both of you were part pony!” The dragon said.

With each word, he took another step forward. Soon, Spike and I were pressed against a rock.

“Who, me?” Spike walked around me. “I’m not part pony! I’m all dragon, see? Raar!”

“Y-yeah.” I said, weakly. “Roar.”

“Or maybe you’re a pony in a dragon costume.” The dragon mocked. The dragons laughed with him.

“A pony in a dragon costume!” The purple one laughed, hugging the dragon next to him.

It was a...green one? I think. He had gems as scales, two different colored horns, as two dead eyes. Wait...I’ve seen those gems before...they were Miss Rarity’s gems! And those wings, they were Miss Dash’s! What were they doing here?

“Aheh... yeah... hilarious.” It laughed.

That was Miss Twilight’s voice! She must have a cold. Her voice is all funny.

She said it was okay to come. What was she doing here?

Where was Mommy?

“Nnh, I am a real dragon!” Spike said, nearly stomping his foot.

“Me too!” I held up a claw.

“Oh, yeah? Prove it.” The red dragon challenged.

“How?” I asked.

He grinned. “By acting like one! Who’s up for a little belching contest?”

The dragons all started burping. Eww!

“You think you can beat that, Peewee?” He challenged Spike.

Spike filed, then burped his green fire.

“Huh?” Everypo-Everydragon?- asked.

Funny...it didn’t look like a letter from Princess Celestia...it looked like it was from Princess Luna.

The red dragon grabbed the letter, breaking the seal. “From the desk of Princess Luna. Dear Spike, please te– Ha! Get this, guys! Spike’s pen-pals with a namby-pamby pony princess!”

I yelped. That was an important letter! I leapt after it, quickly hitting my blue fire with it. That should send it to Mom, or maybe back to Princess Luna. It vanished in a puff of blue fire.

Right then, I knew that was a bad idea.

“Oh! Everybody, look!” Garble announced. I shrunk back, my tail coming around and covering my face. “The little sissy thinks she can just do whatever she wants!”

“No sir.” I squeaked. “Never sir.”

He glared right at me. It scared me, and I squeaked again. “Why don’t you give the belch contest a try?”

I grimaced. “Mommy says it’s bad manners to burp.”

The dragons laughed.

The red dragon laughed harder. He had to wipe a tear from his eye. “Oh? Your mommy told you?”

I nodded. “And she says if I burp, I have to say excuse me.”

The dragon laughed again. This wasn’t very fun at all. “You’re a little sissy!”

“Am not!” I yelled. Well, that’s what Scootaloo said.

“You are!” He mocked.

“I am not!” I stomped my foot. “You’re the sissy!”

The dragon glared angrily. Some of the dragons behind him snickered, but were stopped by one look. I shut my mouth, clasping my class over my myth. Bad mouth. You’re supposed to be on my side!

He just shrugged, but I knew he was still angry. “Okay. Prove it. Tail wrestling!”

“Yeah!”

The light purple dragon beat the gray one.

“Good old tail wrestling...” Spike said.

I gulped. We were both holding our tails. “Uh-huh.”

“You’re turn, Sissy!” The red one yelled. I almost started to shake in fear.

“I challenge Lilac to a tail wrestle!” The dragon that was Miss Twilight, Miss Dash, and Miss Rarity said. She sounded really sick. She needs to go to bed!

“Who’s this weirdo?”

“I think he’s Crackle’s cousin.”

Crackle looked just like their costume! Except, well, his horns were the same color.

“Oh, that would explain it.”

I walked out to the center of the pit, lifting my tail up. I saw one of Miss Rarity’s hooves (she always got a special pedicure at the spa, Mommy said so) lift up the tail onto mine.

“Ready? Go!”

I tried to throw off the fake tail, like I saw the other dragons do, but it was too hard. They made a really good tail!

Then, they all just dropped.

“Lilac’s the winner!" The dragons all cheered.

I ran over to the fake dragon while they were all cheering. “Miss Twilight, are you okay?” I whispered.

The librarian was hidden inside the costumes mouth. She blinked. “Uhh. Who’s Twilight? I’m just a-”

“Are you sick? Your voice is funny. Mommy says ponies voices get funny when they’re sick.”

Miss Twilight looked like she was gonna argue, but she sighed. “Is it that obvious?”

I shook my head. “I’m good at the details. Those are Miss Rarity’s gems, and those are Miss Dash’s wings. And, that was Miss Rarity’s hoof.”

Miss Twilight rolled her eyes, and groaned.

“Hey, Lilac, try wrestling Spike!”

My eyes shrunk. This didn’t sound very good.

I walked back to the pit, still worried about Miss Twilight, Miss Dash, and Miss Rarity. Spike seemed just as nervous as did.

I lifted my tail, and he lifted his. It took maybe five second for him to drop my tail to the ground.

“The winner!” The red dragon cheered. “Nice going, little Spike! Maybe you are a dragon after all!”

“Yeah! Maybe I am!” Spike boasted.

I walked back to Miss Twilight. “Are you sure you’re okay?”

Miss Twilight just gave me an almost sad look.

“Are we sure she’s Raspberry’s kid?” Miss Dash asked.

“Rainbow!” Miss Twilight whispered harshly.

“What? The kid’s really nice!” Miss Dash said. “And she ran away.”

“Miss Twilight said it was okay.” I excused, weakly. Mommy said I just had to tell a grown-up, then it would be okay. “Is Mommy in there too?”

It was then I noticed two eye holes, where I could see Miss Dash’s pink eyes. “Well, no. She stayed home.” Miss Twilight said.

I frowned, sad. “Oh.”

“N-Not that she didn’t want to be here, darling!” Miss Rarity said. I saw her blue eyes push away Miss Dash’s. “She truly wanted to come with us, but...she...”

“Is she sick too?” I asked. “Is that why Miss Twilight is sick?”

“Uh...no.” Miss Twilight said. “I’m not sick. I’m just trying to hide my voice from the other dragons.”

I heard a loud thud. Turning back, I saw Spike stuck near the top of the cliff. I flinched. “That’s a good idea.”

Miss Twilight nodded. “Oh! Thanks for saving that letter.”

“Mommy says every letter is important.” I said. “She told me once that she keeps every letter she gets in a box in her closet!”

“She does?” Miss Rainbow asked.

“Uh-huh!” I cheered. “She calls it her Special Things Box! She even had a bunch of my drawings in it! And the poster from when we did the Talent Show. She has photos of my first birthday, the ribbon from my first present, one of my egg shells, my first tooth, my first scale.” I started to get homesick. “And...and a...and a drawing I made of me and her.”

Miss Rainbow looked about nervously. “She, she really has all those?”

I nodded. “Mommy likes to keep things. My aunt said it’s because Mommy is a...a...I think she said...whole dare?”

“Hoarder?” Miss Twilight tried.

I giggled. “That was it!” I smiled happily.

“KING OF THE HOARD!” The dragons yelled.

The four of us flinched. I gulped.

Behind us, there was a giant pile of gemstones. The dragons were gathered around it, one climbing up to the top. Aunt Killjoy taught me how this game worked. We played it on our camping trips. That, and the Diamond Dogs played this game whenever I came.

I ran up to the pile, and began to climb. Aunt Killjoy said it was good to make sure to get a hold on the gems that were firm in the pile. Loose gems would make me fall.

Soon, I was zooming past the others. The red dragon just kept tossing them down, he had apparently been standing at the top.

How would I get him down? He was five times my size!

“You don’t need to be the biggest guy.” Aunt Killjoy once said. “Use his own size against him.”

Taking a reassuring breath, I crawled the rest of the way. I crawled to his tail, and pushed it up.

He was fighting against the brown dragon. He turned to see me pushing his tail aside, and then they both fell down the pile.

I looked around, seeing just Spike crawling the pile. I felt a bit better at that.

“KING OF THE HOARD!” I screamed, keeping firm on the top of the pile.

“Hey-” Spike began, before he slipped on a gemstone. He bounced down the pile.

I winced.

“Looks like this is another fail for you, little Spike. Can’t wait to watch you fail at lava cannonball, too.” The red dragon said.

I crawled down the pile, ending up next to Spike. I saw a red claw pushed in my face, and I flinched back.

“The name’s Garble.” He introduced himself.

I took his claw and shook it. “I was wondering.”


“When making a cannonball, kid, you just gotta remember. Stay a ball, stay in the center, and don’t be afraid of the jump.”

I was afraid of the jump. No matter how many times I did it, I was always scared of the jump. Aunt Killjoy always had to push me.

I looked over Spike. He looked just as scared as I did.

“If all your friends jumped off a cliff, would you?” I remember Mommy asking me.

Well, they weren’t my friends...

“I’ll jump if you do.” I promised Spike.

My friend turned to me. He still looked scared, but he was apparently getting close.

“On the count of three.” I said.

The two of us walked to the edge.

“What’s wrong? You afraid the lava will hurt your soft pony hide?” Garble shouted.

“One.” I said.

Then I shoved Spike off. That was what Aunt Killjoy taught me. I jumped off after Spike.

In a blink, we made it to the ground...only...I forgot to stay a ball.

The other dragons all went ‘ohh’.

I floated back to the surface, feeling woozy. My eyes were spinning. With a quick head shake, I was back.

“Ugh... Was I... that bad?” Spike asked.

“I can’t see straight.” I commented.

“No, dude. That was awesome! No pony could live through a belly flop like that!” Garble said. I think it was actually a compliment. “You’re one tough little dragon.”

Garble turned to me. “And you. That was pretty cool, even for a sissy.” He patted my back. “You’re alright.”

The other dragons nodded their heads.

Huh. This...this was actually getting kinda fun...


One of the dragons started to play a kazoo. Spike and I walked through an arch made of out their tails.

Garble glared at Spike. “Spike, by belly flopping so hard, you have proven yourself worthy. I hereby dub you ‘rookie dragon’, and will now perform the initiation ritual.”

He used his tail as a sword, tapping both Spike’s shoulders. The initiation ritual was apparently just giving him a boogie. Mommy had done that with Aunt Killjoy.

He turned to me. “Lilac, by becoming King of the Hoard, you have proven yourself worthy. I also dub you ‘rookie dragon’, and you’ll perform the initiation ritual.”

I smiled, until he picked me up and messed up my head fins.

“Now let’s party dragon style!” Garble announced.


“Alright, Spike and Lilac. Since you’re our rookie dragons, you two get to lure the parents away from the nest.” Garble said.

“Heh... Lucky me...” Spike mumbled.

I was starting to get scared again.

Garble rolled his eyes. He shoved Spike and I towards the tree. “Well go on, then!”

Spike started waving his hands about. I gave him a wide eyed look. This was crazier than when Scootaloo wanted to skydive!

“Hey, Mr. and Mrs. Phoenix! I was hoping I could have a word with you? Um, I’d, um, like to ask you some questions actually...”

“We haven’t got all day, Spike!” Garble whispered harshly. He dropped a rock in Spike’s hand.

He threw it at the nest. “Hey, you bird brains! Come and get me!”

The Phoenixes did not look happy. I immediately ran and hid behind a tree.

I waited behind there until I couldn’t hear the Phoenixes anymore. Scared, I leaned out to make sure the coast was clear. Sweetie Belle and I would have to do this if Scootaloo felt like having a water balloon fight.

Garble and his two friends were surrounding the nest. They looked like they were looking for something.

“What the...” Garble said.

I heard some chirps. Oh! They must be new Phoenixes! Were the dragons gonna take them to the Migration? Are Phoenixes pets for dragons?

Then, why does Princess Celestia have one? Is she a dragon too?!

“The eggs have hatched.” The purple one said.

“What do we smash now?” The brown one asked.

They’re gonna do WHAT?!

“We take the hatchlings, of course!” Garble yelled.

There were some more chirps. I was able to see some baby Phoenixes flying about, and then a twisted up Garble.

I giggled a bit, hiding behind the tree and covering it with my claw. I learned that playing Hide ‘n Seek.

“Get ‘em!” Garble growled.

The three dragons flew off, breaking apart the nest.

I frowned. That was there home! Those dragons are a bunch of bullies!

Suddenly, I saw a bright orange egg fall above my head.

I gasped. They must not have noticed it. I caught the egg, holding it close. They were gonna smash it!

“It’s okay.” I patted the egg. “I’m not not let the bullies get you.”

Matching sure the dragons were gone, I looked at the next wreckage. I walked over to it, making sure to hold the egg in one arm.

I tapped my chin in thought. There has to be a way to fix this. Mommy taught me nest building for Winter Wrap-Up. So it should be easy enough.

Pulling together all of the sticks, I began putting the nest back together. The egg was held carefully by my tail, since my arms were too busy re-making It’s home.

Here and there, I had to use just a bit of my dragon fire to mend it. There. A brand new nest. Using my tail, I put the egg inside of the nest. It shook a little.

I gasped. “He must be cold!” I took in a big bunch of air, and blew some nice warm fire on the Phoenix egg. “There you go!” I patted him on the top.

To protect it, I sat next to the egg. I kept on alert, looking over the forest. No dragon was getting to this egg!

I heard a crunch in the bush. My tail instantly covered the egg, glaring at whatever was coming.

“Oh. Hi Spike!” I cheered, waving at him.

Spike tilted his head. “Huh, what have we got here?”

I was about to tell him, when the meanie dragons showed up. I tried to act tough, and glare. My tail stayed wrapped around the nest.

“What happened?” Spike asked.

“They got away!” Garble growled. “Hey! You stole an egg?” He looked at me.

I hissed at him, guarding the egg with my body.

The other dragons flinched back. “Woah! Lilac, what are you doing?” Spike asked.

“They were gonna smash it!” I hissed, glaring angrily at the dragons.

Garble’s eyes widened, and he glared back. “Well, yeah! What else are you gonna do with a Phoenix egg?”

I got really angry. My eyes felt like the turn into slits, and my forked tongue came out. There was a dark hiss. The dragons started to back away.

“It’s just a defenseless egg, like I was! And I’m not gonna let you hurt it!” I screamed.

Garble growled. “What did you say?”

“Not a chance, bully!” I growled.

He started stomping towards me. “No one says no to me.”

GROWL!

Garble backed away, looking almost terrified. “W-wha-”

I let out another loud growl. “Not. A. Chance!”

With each word, I noticed Garble got smaller and smaller. Or, I got bigger and bigger. The egg was still safe behind me, and I was gonna make sure of that. No bully is touching him!

“STAY AWAY FROM MY EGG!” I growled loudly at Garble and his friends.

They were almost starting to shake.

“B-but you’re just a kid!” The purple one argued, weakly.

I glared at him. He shrunk away.

“It’s just a stupid egg!” The brown one added.

I growled, feeling myself get bigger. Once I felt the growing stop, I roared at the three bullies.

“STAY AWAY FROM HIM!” I ordered.

To further prove my point, I blew out my blue fire at them. Once the flames faded, I saw the dragons were gone.

Satisfied, I curled around the even smaller Phoenix egg. It started to shake again, so I blew more fire onto him.

“Lilac?” Spike asked.

I turned to him. He looked really tiny, almost like a bouncy ball. I glared at him, to remind him not to touch the egg.

He backed up. “I didn’t know they wanted to smash it! I don’t want to!”

Still wary, I curled around my makeshift nest.

“Stay away from-woah!” I heard a new voice.

I snapped towards it, hissing protectively.

It was Miss Dash. She was looking at me in confusion. “Uh. Guys, I found Lilac!”

“Where is she? Is she behind the-Sweet Celestia!” Miss Rarity said. Then, I think she fainted.

“They were gonna smash the egg!” Spike yelled at them. “Lilac kept it safe!”

I wrapped my tail around the nest. My eyes scanned the forest for any of those dragons.

“Of course!” I heard Miss Twilight say.

“What about this makes sense?” Miss Dash asked.

“Lilac sent that letter to me. I read it over, and it was from Princess Luna! It was what she knew on dragons. She said females were very protective of their young.”

“But, that eggs not Lilac’s.” Spike pointed out.

I roared at them. It didn’t matter. I was going to take care of this egg!

“Well, Princess Luna said they tend to-”

The egg shook. I blew more fire on him, and the nest. That should keep him warm. I snuggled tighter, resting my bigger head on my arms.

“-tend to any egg that falls into their care. Lilac must have gone into a growth spurt based on her instincts!” Miss Twilight explained.

Miss Dash rolled her eyes. “That's really great, Twilight, but how are we gonna get Lilac back to Raspberry if-”

My head snapped up. Mommy? Why were they talking about Mommy!

Miss Rarity woke up. “Oh. I had the strangest dream. We were in the Dragon Migration and Lilac was-”

“Mom?” I asked, my voice sounding older and deeper.

Miss Rarity squeaked, and fainted again.

“Yes!” Miss Twilight shouted. She ran into my eyesight. “Raspberry! You remember Raspberry?” I blinked, wary of all these creatures around my egg.

“Uh, remember her Special Things Box?” Miss Dash asked.

I almost started to smile. Mom kept a lot of my old stuff in that box.

“Your first tooth? First scale?” Miss Dash went on. A smile finally came to my face. “Well, your mom sent us to come get you. She was really worried about you, Lilac.”

I tilted my head.

The pegasus nodded. “Yep. She’s worried sick about you!”

I gasped. I knew Mom was sick!

The world around me returned to normal, but I kept a protective stance in front of the egg. “Mom’s sick?” My voice was back to that little squeak, but it sounded just a bit older.

The two ponies and dragon exchanged almost worried glances. Miss Twilight walked up to me, slowly. “Yes, and she wants you to come home.”

I thought it over.

I picked up my egg, and held him tight. “Then take me home, please.”


Miss Twilight was walking me back home, my bag clutched closely to my back. It was nice to be back home.

“Is Mom okay?” I asked Miss Twilight, looking up at her purple eyes that reminded my of my aunt.

My guide looked up at my home, she looked scared. “No. She’s not. But you’re safe and that’s probably all she’ll care about.”

Looking back at our wooden door, I gently pushed it open to take careful steps inside.

The house seemed grayer than when I left, like all the colors were Discorded.

“Mom? I’m home.” I called. It was silent. “Mom? Are you here?”

A loud thump came from upstairs, making me and Miss Twilight jump in surprise. I heard more thumps and caught a bit of Mom’s tail.

“Lilac!” Mom cried when she jumped up from nowhere and wrapped her hooves around me.

I wrapped them around her, gripping tightly into her soft raspberry fur. “I’m sorry I left Mommy.” I told her as tears leaked from my eyes.

“Shh, shh. It’s okay. You’re okay. That’s all the matters right now. I’m so happy you’re okay.” Mom cried, a few tears hitting my scales.

She rubbed my scales, I did the same to her fur. We stayed like that until Miss Fluttershy and Miss Twilight left and we got hungry.

“How about we get some hay fries and pizza? I’ve never been so hungry. Plus, I think I need some kind of food or I’ll pass out.” Mom said, letting go of me enough so that she could look me in the eyes. “I wanna hear all about this whole Expedition you went on.”

“I’m so sorry I left Mom. I just had to-”

“No. No apologies. If I apologized every time I did something wrong, I would still be apologizing now. So lets get something before we both collapse. My treat.” Mom laughed.

“It’s always your treat, I don’t have any bits.” I giggled, wiping a tear from my eye.

Mom laughed too, her horn glowing amber and lifting me onto her back.

It felt so nice to be back.


Dear Princess Luna,

Hello. My name is Lilac Melody Stardust. I am five years old. I am a dragon. I am a lilac purple dragon, with midnight blue scales. I like to paint, and sometimes I color.

My mom is Raspberry Stardust. She takes care of me, gives me food, a nice bed (with pale pink sheets and fluffy pillows, I asked!), and makes really good macaroni and cheese.

(Don’t ask for her for her sandwitches. She adds too much peanut butter!)

I wanted to know where I co came from, so I went to the Dragon Migration with Spike. The dragons were mean, and rude, and great big bullies.

Mom told me (before we came to Ponyville) that home is right where you planted it. I thought she meant actually plant it (is that how Miss Sparkle got her house, Princess?) but now I know it means: home is wherever I want it to be.

Mom is my home. Those bullies said my mom was a pony, and that made her weak. That made me weak too.

They don’t know Mom gets really sad sometimes. Her friend don’t see it, either. She was really sad after they started yelling at her for taking Miss Sparkle to Canterlot. It hurt her feelings really bad.

She had a big fight with my Auntie. I haven’t seen Aunt Killjoy in a few months, so I know the fight was really bad. Mom doesn’t even go into Aunt Killjoy’s room to make sure she left nothing danjdangerous behind. She wants to cry, but I know she won’t.

She’s always really nice. She talks to all of the foals at school after Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon (I drew you a little picture. Diamond Tiara is the pink filly with goat horns, and Silver Spoon is the silver filly with a stick in her braid!) make fun of us. She doesn’t want to see foals cry, cause it makes her cry.

If that’s what it is to be weak, than I want to be weak too.

I’m running out of space to write.

Bye!

Lilac Melody Stardust, age 5


Once my letter was done, I heard the little egg start to shake again. Oh no! It was cold again.

Just before I could blow any fire, I heard it start to crack. I tilted my head I curiosity.

A tiny little phoenix popped out from the egg. I smiled. He hatched.

The hatchling hopped up onto my shoulder. I gently brushed a call on his new feathers.

“Hi.” I smiled, happy. “Mom, he hatched!”

My mom was there in seconds. She wrapped a hoof on my shoulder, looking down at the new phoenix. She smiled. “Welcome to the Stardust Clan, chickadee.”

I giggled. “Mom, that’s not his name!”

Mom gave me a confused look. “Oh? Then what is?”

“He’s Peewee!” I cheered, holding him up. I smiled at him. “Stick around with me, Peewee. I’ve got a lot to teach you about being a pony!”

I could feel Mom’s smile.

Author's Note:

There. Hope you guys like it. Sorry I was late. I graduated high school last week and was feeling lazy.
About a month until we should be done with this story. The next chapter will be up sooner, but the last few are giving me extra trouble.
Worry not! I will have it done!
Oh, and for those looking for creative inspiration, just listen tot he sound for [title of show]! They have some really cool stuff.
Comment, like, favorite, and read the sequel!

PreviousChapters Next