• Published 18th Jun 2013
  • 2,704 Views, 86 Comments

The Day My Life Began - Authora97



Drum roll please! (Insert drum noise here) It is the Prequel to 'The Day My Life Ended'! The moment you have been waiting for, so please. Read...

  • ...
14
 86
 2,704

PreviousChapters Next
Trying

Caroline


For the past few months, I’ve been going to a new school. There are only two people in my grade, myself being one... and Morgan Spencer being the other. She was the daughter of Principal Spencer and the elementary teacher, Mrs. Spencer. I was kinda friends with her younger brother, Derek Spencer, but every time I tried to talk with Morgan I was cut off.

Some would think Morgan was being rude. Some would think to stop trying. Some wouldn’t even bother. I could tell that people had done that with Morgan. She had been here since the 8th grade and she was in 10th now, three years and I don’t think she had a single friend.

It was the last period of the day. Chemistry class had finished thirty minutes ago and I knew every day once the last class of the day was done Morgan would go to the library and sleep.

I’m not a stalker.

Today was the day. Today I was finally going to get something from the real life shut-in. It would be easy. Just get together the last of my things, walk over to the library doors and opened them slowly. So she wouldn’t wake up. Genius.

It was kinda weird. I mean, here was a girl who I had seen every day for the past six months and I haven’t gotten more than two sentences from her. Calling her an introvert would be redundant. Did she even have friends at her old school? Her own brother didn’t know much about her, except maybe a couple movies and TV shows she liked.

Not like I spend all day asking about her.

I’m not a stalker.

...

Shut up.

When I arrived at the library door, I looked inside the small window inside the door. It was that kind of window where they had little diamond patterns made

The library itself was a two room deal. The first room was the main room. It had a couch, two of it’s wall covered in book shelves filled with books for all ages. There was a desk set up in case we ever got a librarian, a couple hardwood tables with matching chairs and a plant. The second room was half the size and had a second door that took you out into a hallway. It had two really old white computers, a large map, a window with those same diamond patterns to show you what was inside, smaller bookshelves that held encyclopedias and dictionaries, and another plant.

That’s the room where Morgan always went. It was a great place to get away, now that I think about it. Nobody really used it, except for when they had a research project (which we rarely do). Walking over to the door, I made sure to stay hidden.

The rooms both had their own wiring, so turning off the lights in the main room wouldn’t turn them off in the other room. The lights were usually off whenever Morgan was in there.

I could see Morgan inside. I remember from earlier today she had been wearing a black shirt with short sleeves and black sequins covering the shirt in the pattern of leopard spots. Her jeans weren’t there, instead it was just black leggings. She wasn’t wearing her usual pink and orange crocs, she wore black dress shoes with black socks. It was like she was dressing for a funeral.

Her hair wasn’t even in a ponytail. It fell over her face, like that girl in The Ring.

Carefully, I gripped onto the door handle and eased it open. Morgan by all means looked asleep. I took a few cautious steps towards her, taking notice that some of the light from the main room made it into this one. It showed me the shine on Morgan’s cheeks.

She had been crying. Hard.

“Wow.” I said. I knew she could cry, but I didn’t think that’s what she did every day when she came here.

Morgan flinched suddenly. I backed up, thinking she was about to wake up.

“...mmph...Selene stop crying...Aurelia will be fine...” Morgan mumbled in her sleep. “...they’ll be okay...”

It was a little strange, but I didn’t disturb her. “Trying to save you...don’t go in there...”

Her eyes popped open. She screamed and stood up off the ground. “Selene!” She shouted.

“Gah!” I said, stumbling back and falling on the ground.

Morgan took a few deep breaths, sagging back onto the ground. “Great, another-” She cut her sentence short when she saw me. “What are you doing?”

“Funny story actually...” I laughed nervously.

“Were you watching me...sleep?” Morgan asked, eyes going wide for a moment.

“No.” I said instantly, adding a nervous laugh.

Morgan raised a brow at me.

“I wasn’t. I was...looking for a book.” I defended.

“In the- you know, I don’t care.” The girl stood up from the ground, gathering up what little she had. “School is over for the day. I need to go home. Good bye.”

Morgan started walking towards The second door.

“Umm...actually I wanted to talk with you.” I said.

“Don’t care.” Morgan said.

“Hey!” I snapped.

The girl sighed, turning towards me with a bored look on her face. “Yes?”

“I’m trying to be nice, but you’ve just been being rude to me since I met you.” I said.

She nodded.

“Why?”

“Cause I don’t want to hang out with you.” She answered.

She was being really honest with me. It felt weird. “Why are you dressing up so...black, and dark. You’re not even wearing those crocs that you wear everyday.”

Morgan frowned. “I want to dress like this. Leave me alone.”

I could tell something was wrong. I wouldn’t just let her hurt herself like this. “You’re dressing like someone died.”

The girl locked up. For a second, I thought I saw hurt in her eyes. Tears came down, refreshing the tears on her already wet cheeks. “Someone did. Can I go now?”

I tilted my head. “What? But, your parents didn’t say-”

“That’s cause they don’t know she’s dead!” Morgan snarled.

I was confused. Morgan knew someone who died, but her family didn’t? It seemed weird, because it felt like Mr. And Mrs. Spencer knew everyone Morgan knew. It must’ve been really hard on her. “Oh. That’s...That’s unfortunate.”

She scoffed. That kinda scoff that turns into a sad smirk, and then a chuckle. She sucked her lips together, looking like she was trying really hard not to cry. “Wow. I’m in the presence of a wordsmith.”

“Well, sorry. I don’t...I’m not really good on talking to people who had someone die.” I tried.

Morgan nodded, wiping at her cheeks. “Who is?”

I chuckled. I don’t know why, maybe it was she was finally talking. “You said she, earlier.”

She nodded again.

“What was she like? Talking about her might help.” I said.

Morgan shut her eyes, another tear leaking out. “She was my best friend-no-she was my sister.” The way she said it, it was like she was finally admitting it. “She was brave, so stinkin’ brave. She loved showing off, in everything. Her work, her love life, her...everything. She loved to swear, which I thought was totally cool. She was...she was her own person, her own type of person.” Morgan admitted. I sat down Indian style, brushing some of my hair out of my face. My sister might be looking for me, but I was too busy with Morgan to want to go. “She got me, ya know? Whenever I was upset, she would do something.”

She chuckled. “It wasn’t always a good thing, but it was a thing.”

I laughed. “Was that frustrating?”

“Oh like you wouldn’t believe.” Morgan smirked. “This one time, a couple months ago, I hadn’t been getting much sleep, so she dragged to my bed to make me sleep. But a month ago, she got me so hyped up that I forgot it was Thanksgiving! Darcy had this way of making you go crazy.”

“Woah woah woah. Hold up. You forgot about Thanksgiving?” I laughed, hysterically.

Morgan blushed. “No.”

It took a minute to stop laughing. By then I had noticed Morgan laughing with me.

It felt wrong. It was a bad idea. Such a stupidly bad idea, but I had to ask. It just felt like what the Lord wanted me to do.

“How did she die?”

Morgan’s breath hitched. She pulled her knees to her chest, holding them close.

“Sorry." I said. “Sorry, I know. It’s way too personal-"

“Yeah. Yeah it is." She sniffled. “But I still have to. I have to tell somebody." Morgan gulped. “It was an accident. A complete accident. It...it shouldn’t have happened...not to her. She snuck us into a roller coaster. It...” Morgan started choking on her tears. “She climbed u-up one of the-their mountains. They had-had a- had a huge fan. At the bottom.”

My jaw dropped. “Morgan-”

“She can’t even be buried.” Morgan hiccuped. “There’s-There isn’t-isn’t enough t-to-to bury.” She caved in on herself, clutching her knees tightly to her chest. “It hurts.”

I walked over towards her, wrapping an arm over her shoulders. “Hey. Hey, it’s okay.”

Morgan rested her head on my shoulder. I could feel the tears hitting my shirt. “No. It’ll never be okay again. My best friend is dead.” She sobbed. “I’ll never see her again.”

Gentle, I patted her back. “It’s okay. It’ll all be okay.”

“Not it won’t.” Morgan sobbed.

“Yes it will.” I argued.

“No it won’t.” Morgan repeated.

“Will too.”

“It won’t. Ever.”

“Will too.”

Morgan sniffed. “Never.”

“Things’ll get better.”

“...how can you be sure?” Morgan asked, tightening my hug.

“Because, Go-”

“No.” Morgan snapped. It kinda hurt my ear. “No. I don’t want the Sunday school answer. I don’t want to hear how she is waiting for me on the other side. I don’t want that. I don’t need that.”

She ended the hug. Her amber eyes looking into my brown. “Why does Caroline Bellingham think life will get better, when someone you love dies?”

I gulped. Morgan’s amber eyes were usually bright, even when sitting in a dark corner. These eyes. These were a dark, murky color. I didn’t like it.

Morgan was nice. She was a sweet girl, who didn’t need to be this sad.

“Life gets better...because...” I shook my head. When I looked back, Morgan was still looking into my eyes. “Sometimes, life doesn’t end up like we planned. Because it was meant to be better.”

Morgan bit her lip. She looked down at her shoes, then back to look at me. Her eyes brightened, just a bit.

“Not like we planned.” She repeated. She started to smile. “That’s...that’s exactly what I needed to hear.”

I grinned. “It felt good talking about it, huh?”

Morgan let out a mirthless laugh. “The rumors were true.”

We both laughed. I patted her on the shoulder.

“You’re a good person, Morg.” I comforted.

“Morg.” She said, in a correcting voice.

I blinked. “That’s what I said.”

“No. You said Morg.” Morgan said. “My nickname is Morg.”

“Uh. That’s what I said.” I repeated.

Morgan shook her head. “Morg. Like, mortuary. M-o-r-g-u-e.” Morgan spelled. “Most can’t hear the difference. I always could. Just those little bits, ya know?” She sniffled.

“Someone gave you a nickname based off mortuaries?” I asked, laughing.

Morgan shrugged. “She said it fit.”

I blinked. “Oh.” I suddenly felt super nervous. How do you add in two silent letters to a word? “Well, Morgue, I want to hear the full backstory behind that name.”

“Yeah, Care.” Morgan said, as if a reflex.

“Care?” I nodded. I liked it.

“Cause you were the person to ever care.” Morgan said. I felt so touched. “And, it’s shorter.” Good feelings gone. “Say we got attacked, by the time I shout ‘Caroline!’ We’ll both be dead.”

I laughed. She held out her hand, I shook it.

“I can’t tell if you’re joking or not.” I commented.

Morg-ue smirked. “Most can’t.” She let go of my hand, picking up her belongings. She looked over shoulder at me. “To a new friendship.”

I smiled. “To a new friendship.”

Author's Note:

Happy Opening of...you know the movie.
Do ya feel the love?
Comment, like, favorite, and read Day My Life Ended!
Until next time, my pretties...

PreviousChapters Next