• Published 13th May 2013
  • 31,644 Views, 1,591 Comments

The Sun and her little Sparkle - Dark0592



pic inspired alternate universe mommylestia story.

  • ...
111
 1,591
 31,644

C.4

It took a full week until Twilight had started being generally recognized around the palace. She accidentally skipped one of her lessons with celestia the day she got access to the entire royal library, but that was instantly forgiven. They had started actual magic lessons after a few days as well. It was also at the one week mark that Twilight finally noticed something.

“Princess, I have to ask you something.” Twilight said during a simple endurance test.

“Go ahead, I’ll answer to the best of my ability.” Celestia replied from where she was gradually increasing the force of her magical pull on the small sphere the two of them were ‘fighting’ over with their magic.

“How come I haven’t even seen the school for gifted unicorns yet?” Twilight asked. Celestia opened her eyes and thought a moment, the sphere inching towards twilight for a moment before shakily returning to float equally between them.

“There are a few reasons actually. One of them being the fact that your instruction with me would mess with the school’s scheduling. Your impressive display at the exam convinced me that normal means of educating you wouldn’t be best. You’d soar ahead of everypony else and learn next to nothing from your instructors. There’s another reason, but I can’t tell you about it. You’ll find out soon enough.” Celestia.

“Speaking of the exam,” Quill started, entering the tower with a light knock. “There was apparently a pretty awesome sonic rainboom in cloudsdale caused by a little filly pegasus. It happened during the younger foals’ exams yesterday.” She continued.

“So that’s what that loud noise was...” Celestia said to herself.

“What are you doing here Quill?” Twilight asked, able to talk without losing her concentration.

“It has to do with that last reason she didn’t tell you about.” Quill replied.

“Well I guess soon enough is right now. Let’s see it.” Celestia said. Quill nodded and levitated what looked like a basket filled with blankets into the room.

“The way his kind age is with the gradual buildup of their magic. I did a ton of research on them and apparently they have a type of reincarnation in which the power and experiences of past generations pass down to the hatchlings. Bits and pieces unlock over time as they get stronger. Your magic kind of gave him a jump start because he’s so big and he can talk in just a week.” She explained.

Confused, Twilight looked at the basket properly and saw that there was a purple reptilian head poking out of the blankets. It was a baby dragon, but not just any baby dragon. It was the baby dragon she hatched for her exam. It had purple scales and green frills and a green crested spine barely grown in. He was fast asleep and didn’t look like he’d be waking up anytime soon.

“I’m still totally surprised you actually hatched him.” Quill continued.

“W-Why? Was I not supposed to?” Twilight asked, not sure how to react to this new development.

“The test this year was a type of manufactured egg. When they were created, they took many different sizes and colors and textures and the likes. The younger hopefuls, the ones that were your age, weren’t expected to get any reaction whatsoever from them. Instead, they were supposed to show how persistent they were and how large their reserves were.” Celestia started.

“The group you tested with, though, were expected to have minimal to violent reactions, depending on what egg they were given. There were things like small lizards, big lizards, birds and a bunch of other types of animals that hatch from eggs. Different types of eggs are harder to hatch or even get a reaction from. I heard that somepony manufactured an alligator egg to have no teeth... Apparently it got lost.” She continued, ending on an almost completely different subject.

“Well, how hard is it to hatch a dragon?” Twilight asked.

“Because of the intricate magics involved in creating a dragon egg combined with their own innate magical connections and uniqueness of the egg... well... let’s just say it blew my mind.” Quill answered.

“And apparently the magic that made him grow huge like he did wasn’t completely removed when you calmed down. I decided that you could use something to keep you company away from our lessons and learn responsibility at the same time. I want you to take care of him and treat him as if he’s your little brother.” Celestia said.

“What? You... you think that I can take care of a baby dragon all by myself?!” Twilight exclaimed. The sphere that had been teetering towards Celestia nearly hit her in the face before she stopped it.

“Oh don’t be so loud, you’ll wake him up!” Quill exclaimed back, albeit in nearly a whisper.

“Don’t worry Twilight. I believe in you. You can do this, I know you can.” Celestia said, putting the sphere on the ground and laying a hoof on Twilight’s shoulder.

“B-But... I don’t know how to take care of a baby dragon! I barely know how to take care of a foal from books.” Twilight said.

“Don’t worry, I’ve got a little baby shower gift your you.” Quill said jokingly, using her magic to retrieve a large package from her bags. “Books on anything you’ll need to know in order to care for a baby dragon.” She continued.

“Oh stop it Quill, don’t tease her about it.” Celestia said ,rolling her eyes.

“So... you said he was older than he should be and that he can talk? Why didn’t I just get him when I hatched him?” Twilight asked after opening the package to find a couple various books on dragon care.

“I’d say he’s about six. And yes, he can talk. Well... for the most part anyways. It’s like talking to a little foal being carried around by their mother grocery shopping. You can understand almost all of it but it’s not the most coherent. We decided to wait until his scales hardened up, which means that he’s entered adolescence. A hatchling is too much for a little filly to take care of in the middle of all of your lessons.” Quill explained.

“Well, first order of business. This baby dragon needs a name.” Celestia said, lightly clapping her hooves together in delight. “If you would be so kind as to do the honors?” She continued to Twilight.

“A name? I can do that I guess...” Twilight said. She looked at the sleeping thing and started smiling after a while. He was adorable, especially now that he had moved a bit and his tail was now sticking out of the bottom of the blanket. It looked almost like a spike.

“Oh! I know! I’ll call him Spike.” Twilight said after a minute or two passed.

“Spike... Spike Sparkle. I like it.” Celestia giggled. “There’s something else I need to talk to you about. Do you think you’d be alright for a few days without Quill and I?” She continued.

“What? Why?” Twilight asked, her mood changing from confused joy to confused worry.

“We have to go to the country of the Griffons to try and smooth over a bit of hostility that’s recently developed along the border cities. I would leave Quill with you, but I need her help. You’ll be all on your own for a day before a foalsitter I know gets here. She’s on her way from Stalliongrad so she’ll be exhausted when she gets here. After that, though, she’s even more of a ball of fun than Quill when she wants to be. You’ll know her when you see her.” Celestia said standing up.

“Wait, you’re leaving right now?!” Twilight asked frantically.

“Not exactly right now, in an hour or two after I raise the moon. I need to go prepare, though. I was kind of hoping you and Spike here would keep each other company.” Celestia answered.

“But... but I don’t want you to go...” Twilight said. The look on her face melted Celestia’s heart.

“Oh Twilight... Come here.” She said, pulling the filly into a tight embrace. “It’s only for five days, and Cadence is a good pony.” She continued. They just sort of stood there, hugging, for a little bit. Suddenly there was what sounded like a sneeze and a puff of green fire appeared above the basket a few feet away.

“Well looks like he’s awake. I need to go prepare, say hello to your now little brother. I want you to continue our lessons, Cadence knows the strength test we do so she can help you with that. When I have free time I’ll project my consciousness into yours so we can at least talk.” Celestia said, holding Twilight at hoof’s reach from a moment. She quickly hugged the filly again and turned around.

“A-Alright...” Twilight said.

“Don’t worry, I’ll take you to see us off when we leave.” Quill said, bumping Twilight’s rear with her own. Twilight smiled a very small smile and nodded. Quill ruffled her mane before turning and the two left the tower. Twilight sighed and turned towards the basket. There were two slit pupil green eyes watching her.

“Are you my mommy?” He asked.

“No, I’m your big sister.” Twilight said, her smile becoming genuine as she looked at the baby dragon.

“I’m hungry...” He said.

“Well then, Spike, let’s go find you something to eat.” Twilight said, first picking up the baby dragon with her magic and putting him on her back, in which he laughed at the ride, and then levitated one of the dragon books in front of her.

“Spike? Is that my name?” He asked.

“Yep. Do you like it?” Twilight asked. The dragon nodded furiously and clung on to her when she started walking. It was small so she wasn’t having much trouble with his weight.

“It says here that dragons eat mostly meat or gemstones... Well we ponies don’t even think about eating meat, do you think you’d be fine eating things like fruit and vegetables?” Twilight asked.

“I don’t know... I know I’m supposed to remember what dragons before me remembered, but I can’t think of eating anything besides what you said.” The dragon replied.

“Well it can’t hurt to try. I’ve got an idea, too.” Twilight said. Twilight was smiling big as she walked towards the treasury. Spike definitely cheered her up.

---

“I’m sorry miss Sparkle, but while you are granted an allowance by the princess, I can’t think of how a little filly like you would have use of three large gemstones.” The royal treasurer said to her when she asked.

Gemstones were actually fairly common in Equestria, so what little a week of saving the small amount Celestia allocated to her was more than enough to exchange for the gems.

“I just want to have a backup plan if Spike doesn’t like pony food.” Twilight said, looking back at the dragon now napping on her back.

“A baby dragon? Oh, Princess Celestia told me that there might be a dragon to feed... Fine, but you had better make sure you don’t exchange for more than you have. A royal debt is not something you want.” The Treasurer sighed. She walked into a back room and came out with three good sized gemstones of different shapes and colors. “She allocated a hundred bits for you when he made you her protege and that’ll go up by fifty every week. Your balance is down to fifteen now.” She continued as she returned to the table and transferred the gems into Twilight’s grasp, albeit a bit hesitantly.

“Maybe I should buy gems in the city then, they’re expensive here.” Twilight said, examining the stones.

“That’s because they are of the highest quality. These ones are some of the more common types, though, I wasn’t going to intentionally clean you out.” The Treasurer said.

“Thank you so much, is it alright if I can get those fifteen bits too? I want to try something that isn’t Chef Iron’s cooking for once.” Twilight asked.

“Alright. It’s rather risky to bring your balance to zero, but I think you’re responsible enough to keep it out of the negatives.” The Treasurer replied after looking at Twilight for a while. She got Twilight the rest of her allowance, Twilight said thanks again and she walked out with the gems in a little pouch floating next to her.

When she reached the kitchen, Iron waved her over to where he was working on something unfamiliar. Twilight had no idea what it was, but it smelled absolutely divine.

“Ah Twilight! There you are! I heard the Princess was leaving so I decided to make her a little snack for the fly over. What do you think? Ce magnifique, non?” He asked, accentuating his accent at the end.

“What exactly is it? It looks like a cupcake, but also like waffles...” Twilight said. She could only see the icing and the bottom, but the bottom looked like it was wrapped in waffles or something. The icing seemed a bit too light to be icing, though.

“I have no idea what to call it... It is the ultimate mini breakfast though! It is filled with syrup and jam, the top is pancake while the bottom is waffle. The icing is whipped cream. Care to taste?” He explained, finishing with a knowing look.

“I’d love to!” Twilight exclaimed. He levitated it to her and she took a bite. It not only lived up to the smell, but the taste blew it out of the water. When she was telling him how absolutely amazing it was, he noticed Spike on her back.

“Mon Cher, is that a baby dragon on your back?” He asked.

“Oh! Yeah, his name is Spike. I’m going to be taking care of him from now on. He’s actually the reason I’m here. I don’t know if he’ll eat pony food, but I was thinking you could somehow combine a gemstone with a meal.” Twilight said quickly, pulling out one of the three gems from the bag. It was an emerald.

“Combine gemstones with a meal? I heard that dragons like treasure, but I didn’t know they ate them.” Iron said, putting a hoof to his chin in thought.

“It’s the only thing my book says they eat besides meat. I hope he’ll like fruit and vegetables, but if you can add the gemstone for good measure I’d be really thankful.” Twilight explained.

“I see, I see. Hm, now this is a challenge. Even more of a challenge than that one time I had to create forty different dishes using only two different kinds of fruits and two different kinds of vegetables.” He said. It was a few moments, in which he had taken the gem and examined it closely, before he perked up and grinned wide.

“I think I know what I can do. Give me ten minutes!” He exclaimed, rushing off towards another part of the Kitchen. Twilight smiled and exited the kitchen into the dining hall.

“You know, you get kind heavy after a while... Carrying you around all day is going to make me really strong.” Twilight giggled as she levitated the sleeping dragon onto the chair next to her.

“I heard that...” The dragon mumbled tiredly.

“Oh... Well something for you to eat will be here in a little bit.” Twilight said.

“Good, if my tummy growls any louder it’s going to sound like it’s me...” Spike said.

“I believe it.” Twilight giggled. “So, what was it like growing up so fast?” She continued after a moment.

“I don’t know... I never growed up like normal.” He replied. Twilight giggled, she forgot how young he really was. It didn’t really show in his tone, but she noticed that some words he had trouble pronouncing.

“You’ve got a point.” She agreed.

“What about you? Didn’t you grow up really fast?” Spike asked.

“Not really, I’m just a lot smarter than other ponies my age! I read lots of books and the Princess talks to me like I’m a grown up.” Twilight replied.

“I remember the princess... She was really nice! Is she your mommy? Or your big sister like you are mine?” Spike said. Twilight froze.

“N-No... She’s my mentor, my teacher... I’ve never thought of her like...” She started. Spike gave her a confused look when she didn’t finish.

“Uh-oh... Did I say something bad?” He asked. Twilight glanced at him and shook her head.

“No... it’s... just...” She started but once again trailed off.

That feeling from before. That one that she had felt before but didn’t remember where. When she heard the word ‘Mommy’ and Celestia in conjunction with each other that feeling came back. She was starting to remember that feeling. It was so long ago, and she only remembered feeling it once for a short time, but it was when she was being tucked in by a pony she only knew as ‘Mommy’.

“-cher? Mon cher? Are you alright?” She heard. She snapped out of it and shook her head to see a concerned looking Iron and scared Spike.

“I-I’m fine... I was just... Remembering something I haven’t remembered in a long time...” She said softly.

“If your mood falls so much when you remember it, maybe it is for the best you forget. Good news, though! I call it ‘L’emeraude Secousse’!” He said, finishing by floating a glass of what looked like a glittering fruit shake onto the table. It held true to its name, as the shake itself was colored a lime green. The glittering stuff sprinkled around it was what looked like powdered emerald. There were chunks of fruit and the emerald floating around in the concoction.

“I did not use the whole thing, only half, so perhaps it will be sustenance if the shake does not fill him up.” He continued, floating a perfect half of the emerald next to the glass.

“Oooh...” Spike said. He looked at Twilight, who nodded, and he grabbed the straw and took a tentative sip. He did a weird twitch for a moment before he greedily Drank from it. Twilight was about to ask about the twitch, but Iron answered the question with a laugh.

“I used a lot of lime to get the green color, perhaps a bit too much.” He chuckled.

“I like it! The sourness of the emerald fits perfectly!” Spike exclaimed.

“Do not drink it too fast, lest you get brain freeze. That is not a fun time.” Iron warned. Spike nodded and slowed down. He munched on the emerald half whenever he took a break from the shake.

“Thanks a lot, if you can think up other stuff like this I’ll supply the gems, though they won’t be so high quality in the future. Unless it’s a special occasion of course.” Twilight said, turning to Iron.

“You know I love inventing new dishes. It’d be my pleasure.” Iron said with an exaggerated bow, earning a giggle from the filly. With a thought she pulled five of her fifteen bits from her bag and gave them to him.

“My compliments to the chef.” She said in an exaggeratedly sophisticated way.

“Oh no no, I cannot accept your money for doing my job. I get paid enough.” Iron said with a laugh.

“You’re always so nice to me and make whatever I want. You deserve a tip.” Twilight argued, quickly floating the bits into a pocket of his chef coat. The stallion sighed in resignation.

“Fine, but this is the one and only time I accept a tip from you. And Spike, I’ll be expecting you for breakfast tomorrow.” Iron said, turning towards where the dragon was patting his belly in content.

“Oh boy you bet. That was the best thing I’ve ever tasted. Way better than the rhinestones they gave me when I was smaller.” Spike said. He yawned big and wide and his eyes drooped.

“Oh now you ate too much.” Twilight said with a laugh.

“I ate too much, but I ate too much of a good thing.” Spike retorted. Iron laughed and returned to the Kitchen. Quill entered the room just as Twilight was levitating the drowsy dragon onto her back.

“Are you guys leaving now?” Twilight asked.

“We are. Looks like he ate well.” Quill replied. Spike grumbled in response, already falling asleep.

“Wait just a little bit to go to sleep, Alright Spike? I want you to say goodbye to the Princess too.” Twilight said, looking at Quill and nodding. Quill smiled and turned to lead her to the courtyard. Spike grumbled an ‘Mkay’ and barely managed to stay awake.

“There you are. I’ll miss you, but I’ll do my best to try and come home early.” Celestia said when They got to the courtyard where a regal chariot was waiting. Celestia was standing in front of it, but she walked over and hugged Twilight when they got there.

“I’ll miss you so much too...” Twilight said. Celestia smiled and put a hoof under Twilight’s chin. She nuzzled the side of her head and turned towards the chariot.

“Take care Twi.” Quill said, joining the princess. Twilight looked around a bit to see if there was anyone there. There were only a few guards.

“Goodbye... um... M-Mom.” Twilight said right as the Chariot started moving. Celestia was utterly surprised by this and turned to watch Twilight when they took off. She was startled when Quill bumped her with a hoof. She was laughing.

Author's Note:

I feel as if Twilight was a bit too fast with bonding with Spike... I guess I can bullshit it and say that since she hatched him she has a certain kinship with him.
and Boom. Mummylestia is GO.
over 800 likes in two and a half days? I seriously freaking love you guys.
I'm going to go into the past next chapter, explain the parents and Shining. I warn you now that chapter will probably have an individual rating of teen because the parents are dead. It was no accident, though.
And sorry for the french in this chapter, but I had to. I know a little bit and chef and french go well together. Mon cher means 'my sweet' and spike's shake means Emerald Shake if you didn't figure it out.
I also feel I misused the word accentuating... it just sounded right though