• Published 6th Aug 2013
  • 20,661 Views, 1,217 Comments

Hive Alive - BlackWater



Twilight saved Chrysalis from a bitter end, thus changing her own fate and that of the Elements of Harmony. As she learns the power of redemption, Twilight gains power never before recorded in history. Equestria itself will never be the same.

  • ...
65
 1,217
 20,661

PreviousChapters Next
41 - Home is Heartening



The day was bright and the air was clean. Earthy. That was how best to describe Ponyville's scent. In fact, one might describe the town's atmosphere that way as well. Most of the residents were Earth ponies even though there was a fair share of unicorns and pegasi. It was the only place in Equestria to have so much harmony between the different types. While masked bias may exist in such places as Cloudsdale and Canterlot, ponies from Ponyville saw each other only as good neighbors.

“Phewee!” Applejack shouted out with a hint of glee as they stepped off the train station's platform. She ground her hooves into the dirt beneath her. “Canterlot's good and all, but landsakes! Never feels better than bein' back home.”

“I know the feeling,” Chrysalis buzzed as she stepped by the orange mare. She grinned when she saw the Earth pony shiver at the closeness. Even as part of the hivemind, AJ still had some warming up to do. “I assume our queen wants to get right to business.”

“Not exactly,” the purple alicorn half jumped and half flew over their heads. She landed next to Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie, who had walked a bit further ahead. “I wouldn't mind grabbing something to eat before dealing with this Tree of Harmony.”

I'm full, thank you, Chrysalis echoed into Twilight's mind. Perhaps I can start our chore for you. Would you like if I cleared a path to this supposed tree?

You know exactly what Celestia told me, Twilight replied. Follow the directions, don't do anything extreme on your own, and don't proceed if trouble comes up. You're not getting hurt when I'm not around.

I'll take that as an order, the changeling hummed to herself in contentment. Her queen's concern for her health had started taking on a possessive taint to it. Just how she liked it.

Fluttershy stopped for a moment and watched Chrysalis hover towards the Everfree by herself. “Maybe I should go with her...”

“I thought you were terrified of the Everfree, darling,” Rarity commented while walking past her stationary friend. She took notice, much as Spike did, that the townsfolk were looking on in mixed wonder and nervousness at Spike's larger size. They had, after all, been through an incident before.

Twilight also took some looks from ponies as they traveled towards her favorite hometown veggie burger shop. Whether it was the changeling breastplate, horseshoes, or crown was hard to tell. Likely it was all three including the significantly larger dragon companion. Pinkie was also donning her artificial changeling horn and wings, which pulsed with green magical energy.

“I'm going to have to call a town meeting,” Twilight sighed in resignation. Mayor Mare would have questions too.

Got to get to the farm, Applejack explained as she veered off from the group. Grannie'll get the paddle if I don't let them know all's good.

Twilight gave her affirmative while strolling into the burger joint. She was hoping that the place would be mostly vacant so that there wouldn't be so much of a scene. Not a chance. The shop was packed to the rafters with ponies. Even a few out of town griffons were there. It was as if all of Equestria had chosen this one day to deprive her of a nice quiet meal.

Her ears turned down, her brows went into a deadpan expression, and she murmured an “every cursed day of my life.”

If only she could order them all out. The thought did cross her in no subtle way. Chrysalis, being close enough to catch it in the hivemind, encouraged the idea. The queen ignored the encouragement, though. Chrysalis was in high spirits with Twilight's queenhood and would immediately marry her in the street if the thought entered her mind. It had, in fact, entered Twilight's mind and the changeling was quick to encourage that idea as well.

A cream-colored stallion with a long brown mane at the front of the waiting line was kind enough to break Twilight's mental battle by waving her over to the counter. Normally, the purple alicorn wouldn't dare consider cutting by a line. Especially a long one like the one that currently wound back and forth nearly to the door. The individuals that were waiting, however, all had the curious tendency to avoid eye contact and were quick to wave her forward as well. Were they...

...afraid of her?

Now that she thought of it, there was a discernible tang in the air, as if the emotion of fear were a faint perfume. All of the grown ups had it. Only the little ones were oblivious enough to not pay attention to the group that had just entered the eatery. A young gray Earth pony colt ran head first into Twilight's left forehoof, prompting the queen to look down with concern.

“Are you alright?” she asked.

The white-maned colt looked ready to cry even though he didn't have any apparent injuries. Before any other comment could be made, a black griffon with grey accents decided to grab the little pony and offer a bounty of rushed apologies.

“So so so sorry, your highness,” he begged in a worried but sincere tone. "I'll get the kid back to his parents. Please forgive us.

Once again before Twilight could speak a word, the griffon was gone. He raced around the line and halfway across the restaurant to return the colt to a pair of ponies seated at a booth. The confusingly fast exchange and the looks from the other ponies and griffons were more than enough to turn Twilight's stomach.

Rainbow Dash ignored Twilight's concern, zipped ahead to the counter and started ordering a large set of meals. “Make it a triple stacker for my beautiful royal mare over there,” she nodded back to Twilight. “Oh, and can you cut the bun in the shape of a heart? We're madly in love.”

“Rainbow!” Twilight grouched, stamped her hoof, and stomped over to the blue mare.

Pinkie Pie snorted a laugh through her nose. “Oh, Dashie. Still haven't lost your pranky side, huh?”

“But we are in love...” Rainbow almost pouted.

The ongoing conversation was lost on the pony behind the counter who had broken into a cold sweat. Her eyes darted back and forth from the menacing-looking contraption Pinkie Pie was wearing to the various changeling-like queen's accessories Twilight adorned. The hard clod and metal pieces glowed with a green energy and arcs of lightning seemed to play out inside of the light, drawing one's eyes in like a bottomless pit.

“Still no gemstones?” Spike asked the female cashier after resting his forearms on the counter.

“Huh?” the poor pony trembled. “Gemstones? I don't have any...I'm so sorry...”

Spike was taken back by the fear the mare seemed to be in. It caused him to lean off the counter.

Rarity put a hoof on his back to reassure him while addressing the cashier. “No, we are the ones who are sorry, darling. We did not mean to seem imposing. I believe the others can find a sitting place outside while I finish the order and deliver the food personally. Spikey, would you be a dear and find us a few tables?”

The hivemind allowed not only Spike but all the others to take Rarity's hint. They were terrifying everyone. News of the incident in Canterlot must have spooked the townsfolk. Twilight and Pinkie's changeling equipment didn't do much to ease the obviously unsettled atmosphere.

“Come on,” Twilight hurried the others and followed the dragon back out of the building. “I'm sure Rarity knows how to handle a fast food order. It's easier than fixing an inner stitch, after all.”

Twilight's three guards that had taken positions around the doorway took formation around her party of ponies once more. They were nicely casual about it, which was the only reason she didn't order them elsewhere entirely. If it weren't for them, it might have been impossible to get through the door in the first place. More ponies were pouring into the restaurant, as if it was the only eatery on the planet.

“Dashie,” Twilight started while Spike steered them towards the only outside table left unoccupied. “Thanks for that compliment, but you don't need to try so hard.”

“Try? What are you talking about?” Rainbow attempted to sound annoyed but only wound up with an insecure tone. “I thought you'd like it if we shared a heart burger. The hivemind...”

The pony queen winced. When she had first grasped the concept of the hivemind, she had only seen the pros. It had never occurred to her that a synchronous mind could possibly lead to miscommunication. Too much interconnection lead to the possibility of mixed signals, which resulted in confusion. It had just happened.

“Oh, silly Dashie!” Pinkie hopped cheerfully on their left side. “That was my thought. I was thinking how cute it'd be if you two shared one.”

Rainbow's face couldn't have gotten redder. Nothing came from her closed mouth and they all got seated at the table. The only conversation left was in the hivemind.

I wouldn't mind sharing one, Twilight assured the Element of Loyalty.

Rainbow may have turned her frown into a smile at that, but Spike merely puffed a breath of smoke from his nostrils. He rested his head and hands on the table and waited for his own mare to come back with their food. It looked like he would have to resign himself once again to hayfries.

Extra crispy.

Crunch!

“Eep!”

The former was the sound of Chrysalis snapping a branch underhoof. The latter was Fluttershy being frightened and hiding in the changeling's blue tail. Chrysalis was honestly surprised the pegasus could hide in there. On the other hoof, she had let it grow out quite a bit. Her mane was longer too.

“I thought you wanted to come,” Chrysalis hummed the words with her unique changeling vocal chords. Her tone was gentle, though. She had, after all, become quite fond of the scared yellow mare.

“It never gets any less...scary,” Fluttershy trembled as she peeked out of Chrysalis' tail. The difference in their body size made her seem even smaller than she was.

Chrysalis had to admit there was some truth to Fluttershy's fright. The Everfree forest around them was dark and gloomy even though it was a bright and cheery midday in Ponyville. The sun was practically forbidden beneath the tree canopy. There was an awful smell too. Part timberwolf breath and part rotting wood. Of course, the timberwolves were partly made of rotting wood, so it made sense.

“We're almost to the stream,” Chrysalis assured Fluttershy upon levitating the mare out of her tail. She nuzzled her neck to instill a little comfort. A small glow of green from her horn's tip put an old changeling soothing spell over Fluttershy for good measure.

The shy pony felt weak in her knees not because of fear but because of the spell. A strange sense of euphoria overtook her and she found Chrysalis' appearance to be incredibly soothing. As if her conscious thought had been switched off, she started rubbing her face against Chrysalis' side and made soft giggles while she did so.

“I may have overdone it,” Chrysalis sighed to herself. “Come on, Shy.”

They reached the stream quickly due to the fact that the dense trees had obscured it from view and kept them from realizing they were practically on top of it already. The sound of the water was calm enough not to notice over the rustling wind. It was deep enough to make the changeling think twice about trying to swim across, though.

“Shy,” Chrysalis buzzed and looked down to the pegasus still cuddling against her side like a cat. The hivemind helped the former queen query Fluttershy's mind directly, but the answer to crossing the river was still a tad vague. “You crossed before using a serpent. Another time you used a series of rocks. I see neither.”

“Mmm,” Fluttershy hummed in pure contentment. “Let's fly together. Low, though. I'm afraid of heights.”

“Afraid of heights?” Chrysalis' face turned blank as she considered that alongside the fact that a pegasus had just said it. It was one thing to know it through their mental connection, and it was another to hear her say it. The changeling's train of thought was suddenly broken by a lightbulb moment. “We have wings!”

Chrysalis felt like an idiot.

“A rose by any-”

“Shut up and eat your hayfries,” Rarity silenced her dragon. Her tone was anything but ladylike at the moment.

Being in the same hivemind seemed to have given Spike the ability to take a hint. The others at their combined table arrangement carefully avoided eye contact. Nopony wanted a piece of the very upset and on-edge fashionista.

Except Twilight.

“Spike was just trying to lighten your mood, Rarity,” the alicorn queen lectured. “How were we supposed to know that the food preps would get the order wrong twice and then the cashier would accidentally spill barbecue on your coat after knocking over the drinks?”

Rarity's red-hot stare said everything that didn't come out of her mouth.

Pinkie Pie snorted another bout of laugh. “The barbecue stains make you look like a cow!”

It was finally out. Everyone else at the table stared at Pinkie in horror. Of all the things to say to Rarity, that was perhaps the worst. Sure, everypony had been thinking it. Twilight had gone to great lengths to suppress the thought in the hivemind so Rarity wouldn't know. So much for that.

Steam could be seen coming out of the newly marble-coated mare. “W-well I never!” she shrieked before shuddering in rage. Not knowing quite where to go from there, she looked one way and then another before stomping as hard as she could from their table.

“I better go after her,” Spike grimaced and stuffed a claw full of hayfries in his mouth before taking off after Rarity.

“Good job, Smoothie,” Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes at Pinkie and then messily bit into her burger, crumbs flying.

The party pony didn't seem to get the problem. “What? Cows are awesome. I love cows! Moooo~!”

Rarity was apparently still in earshot because they heard her shout an “ARGH” of additional rage.

Twilight's face hit the top of the table in front of her plate. “I think I need to lie down somewhere.”

“Need a hug?” Rainbow smiled and leaned on Twilight's side. Her face was a mess of crumbs and veggie sauce.

The queen let her crown clink forward onto the table. “Do friendships come with refunds?”

“So this is it,” Chrysalis stated in a flat monotone upon looking up at the sparkling Tree of Harmony. She had to keep batting Fluttershy away because the mare was trying repeatedly to jump up and steal a kiss. It had been a while since Chrysalis had botched a spell so badly, but she supposed even the best were obligated to mess up every now and then.

“Chrysy!” Fluttershy enthused in a mix of joy and eagerness. The contrast to her usual shy innocence was touching but terribly distracting. She kept giggling like a filly in a candy store.

“Shush, I'm thinking,” the changeling frowned and huffed.

The tree was...well it was unique. It seemed to be made of an unusual ivory wood. There were an assortment of branches that had indentions at the end. A large indention was at the center, which was impossible to reach from the ground due to the obscene size of the tree. Chrysalis lazily hovered up and sneered as she touched the indention. It was in a familiar shape.

“I don't believe in destiny,” she whispered to herself.

Fluttershy was hovering beside her and had finally paused her affections long enough to truly take in the wonder of the massive tree. “Harmony...” she breathed out in awe.

You're paying attention? Chrysalis queried her queen. They were still in hivemind distance, though Chrysalis was not sure if Twilight was taking in the visual information through their eyes.

The response was immediate. Of course, Twilight assured her loyal changeling. I had no idea it was so big.

The indentions...

The Elements, Twilight concluded. Celestia told us, but I'm not sure how they interact with the tree. We'll have to all be there together.

Chrysalis asked when that might be. At the same time, Fluttershy abandoned her interest in the tree and resumed nuzzling against the changeling's side, chest, and neck.

We'll be over after I finish lunch. Rarity had-

An accident. She's very attractive with that color scheme, Chrysalis smirked, though Twilight wasn't there to see it. Spike seems to be handling it well.

Though all members were currently connected in the hivemind, Rarity and Spike were thankfully not paying much attention to it. They were instead focused on a private conversation amongst themselves.

If it weren't for him, I don't know if I could deal with Rarity, Twilight's exasperation came over their connection. In situations like this, I mean. Nice work on Shy, by the way.

Rub it in, Chrysalis groaned, which came out as more of a stuttering buzz in the non-hivemind world.

I don't have to. She already is, the queen chuckled and then turned her attention back to her own physical location.

“Keep your hooves to yourself for now, Shy,” Chrysalis said with forced calm. Her comparatively larger hooves had no trouble grabbing the smaller mare as they both hovered back down to the slightly damp soil. “You should use them first for your queen. Not me.”

“Twilight is special to me,” Fluttershy responded in her most level-headed voice since they entered the Everfree. “But that doesn't mean I want to ignore you and Dashie. The two of you are just as important in my life and I know for a fact that you are a far sweeter changeling than you give yourself credit for.”

The spell had apparently worn off. Chrysalis breathed in relief over that. At the same time, her hooves shifted on the dark soil beneath them. She glanced to the tree towering before them. “Is it pessimistic of me to doubt? I have lived over ten times as long as you, Shy. I may hope for the best, but I expect the worst. Rarely have I been let down on the latter.”

Fluttershy lowered her head when she felt Chrysalis' dark memories replay. The pink locks of her mane that she kept carefully combed fell over her eyes and shrouded her face. Even if Chrysalis' words had little effect, the emotions of powerlessness and depression had plenty of weight behind them. Only Twilight's positive intervention in the hivemind prevented the dark cloud from growing.

Their queen held their spirits up.

“Applejack?” Fluttershy asked in surprise. The orange Earth pony walked down the half-eroded stairway that lead to the cave she, Chrysalis, and the Tree of Harmony were in. It had never occurred to her before exactly why a tree would be growing in a cave in the first place. Chrysalis chuckled at the idea.

“Never been easier,” Applejack remarked as soon as she hopped off the last stair. It was really more of a slope with the way it had been worn away.

Chrysalis stood at the cave's entrance and nodded AJ inside. “Does our queen's hivemind please you?”

Noting the trace of smugness in the changeling's voice, Applejack matched it. “Gettin' directions is a sack of turnips compared to the ol' maps of the Everfree that Grannie whipped up way back when. Especially when my friends already did the trek for me.”

Fluttershy relied on the hivemind to inform her of Applejack's meaning behind “a sack of turnips.” Her polite smile didn't betray her confusion of the phrase, though the hivemind certainly did. AJ might have joined them, but the yellow pegasus saw no reason to get up from where she laid beside the tree. There was a strong sense of calmness she got when she was beneath its branches – a calm that matched even Twilight's queenly influence.

“The others are comin' along,” Applejack added upon approaching the tree. It was more of a self-comment than any useful bit of information. Chrysalis was so much taller than the Earth pony she stood next to that the apple farmer got a nervous tick at the edge of her mouth. She forced herself to be more at ease, trying to trust the hivemind as she felt she should.

“It won't get any points for beauty,” Chrysalis said while she and AJ peered up at the massive tree.

The mare's brow inched up. “Darn pretty as a mare in veil. Black and green really have to be all that's attractive to you?”

Chrysalis tilted her head and looked over to the smaller female. “Purple, a little blue and pink, a couple of stars. I see beauty beyond myself, my little sheep herder.”

“What did you just call me?” Applejack's voice rose. She reacted to the offhoof comment instantly.

What?” Chrysalis practically shrugged it off and looked back up to the tree as if to ignore her. “I thought your memories involved sheep herding. You still have sheep at Sweet Apple Acres. I saw them when you checked in with your family not half an hour ago.”

Applejack's lips sputtered on the logical comeback. “I can't help but feel you were insinuatin' somethin' mean!”

“Explore my feelings,” the changeling countered in perfect calm. She treated the matter as if it were no more than a quibble over half a piece of toast. “You'll see I'm being honest.”

If Chrysalis had meant any slight, Applejack could only conclude that she had hidden it well in the hivemind. The changeling might be able to mask her thoughts or emotions in there, but Applejack certainly could not. Her grumbling echoed loud and clear within.

Fluttershy spoke up with some small talk to keep the air from being uncomfortable. However, it was only about ten minutes until Twilight and the others finally arrived. The entire hive was now present because the two guards accompanying the queen were Midnight Strike and Direway. The maids had not yet been connected and were currently at the Golden Oaks library taking care of the chores Spike typically attended to.

Concerning Spike...

“Put me down this instant!” Rarity shouted from atop Spike's shoulder.

The larger-than-pony dragon was hefting the mare across his right shoulder. Earlier attempts at neutralizing her hissy-fit had failed. Though he had preferred not to, Spike had been forced to carry her against her will to the Tree of Harmony. All members had to be present, including her.

“Sorry, milady,” Spike's words rang with an honest regret. “Twilight's orders.”

Twilight herself was by his side and rolled her eyes at Rarity's drama show. “Alright, everyone,” she announced and marveled again at the sight of the tree. She had seen it through the eyes of the others and then again as she descended the stairs. But only now that she was seeing it up close and personal did she take in the majesty of it.

“Alright what?” Applejack couldn't keep the sass out of her tone when she walked up to Twilight. Fluttershy and Chrysalis were on either side of her. “I don't get what we're supposed to do.”

Twilight peered up at the tall mysterious tree, returning a small hug from Fluttershy and a larger one from Chrysalis. Rainbow Dash adjusted the heavy case of Element necklaces on her back while Pinkie Pie ignored it as she wrestled with her horn that didn't seem to be channeling any of their Hive Power. Spike was trying to keep a struggling Rarity from falling her full height off of his shoulder. As for the guards, they were as expressionless as their stance at either side of the cave's entrance.

The queen remembered what Celestia and Luna had said. If ever there was a time to believe in destiny, this might have been it. The Tree of Harmony supposedly communicated through a magical ley line, which meant it was theoretically possible to synchronize with its mode of communication by using her hivemind. This would never have been possible before she had attained her changeling abilities.

If she had come to the tree before she had her Hive Power, she might have been lost and unable to communicate. Who knows what spells she might have tried in a desperate attempt to analyze the strange magical plant. But there was little time for “what ifs” because a voice echoed in her hivemind the moment she placed her hoof on the tree's trunk.

All hail, greeted a calm androgynous voice. The plains and forests burn before thee, Queen of War.

Author's Note:

CAMEO APPEARANCES
A cream-colored stallion...Raiku by Sonik
A young gray Earth pony colt...Little Alpha by Jphyper
A black griffon with grey accents...Night Flower by supervg

PreviousChapters Next