• Published 6th Aug 2013
  • 20,699 Views, 1,217 Comments

Hive Alive - BlackWater



Twilight saved Chrysalis from a bitter end, thus changing her own fate and that of the Elements of Harmony. As she learns the power of redemption, Twilight gains power never before recorded in history. Equestria itself will never be the same.

  • ...
65
 1,217
 20,699

PreviousChapters Next
48 - Departure is Melancholy



Twilight Sparkle shot up onto her hooves as fast as lightning. All trace of her deep sleep was gone in an instant. A look of mixed horror and anger was plastered on her face. Slowly she let her muscles relax as she let out a long and tired sigh.

Chrysalis, who had been flung onto her back from her queen's abrupt awakening, rubbed her eyes carefully with her hole-ridden black hooves. “Such a fuss,” the changeling groaned.

“Sorry,” Twilight apologized. She tried to keep calming down. “I thought I was going to be fine after the ceremony, but your memory fragments keep jumping out of my control.”

The shape-shifter wasted no more words and instead grabbed her queen with her much longer forelegs. She drew Twilight back onto the warm part of the sheets they had been sleeping on moments before. Out of temptation, Twilight let herself be snuggled back into a comfortable position.

“The others have been up for a while,” Twilight noted. “I shouldn't sleep in any more.”

“Mmm,” Chrysalis kept the pony from getting up again. “You've stayed in so long it's almost lunchtime now. I'm hungry again, so you have to stay with me.”

Twilight rose a brow at her changeling's pouty last words and big puppy dog eyes. That jagged black horn was glowing too. “With all you've had this morning I'm surprised you aren't fat.”

The night sky was clear and was a sparkling beauty with no equal. Luna looked up at it with a small smile. This would be her last time below the Equestrian sky. The royal sisters, draconequus, and pony hive rested on a grassy knoll well outside of Canterlot's walls.

A single cart of supplies sat to the side, full of everything the three travelers would need for their outgoing journey. Although few had ever seen them, Princess Celestia and Princess Luna were adorned in their full armor. The horseshoes were now thick battle greaves, golden for Celestia and dark silver for Luna. Their ornamental necklaces were now full chestplates with panels of armor lining their shoulders down to their flanks. Likewise, the forward sections of their wings were encased in a thin but strong plate that allowed their feathers to be free for flight while protecting the hard but vulnerable parts.

Neither sister had worn their full armor suits since the earliest days of Equestria when war was as common as morning tea was in recent times. Each suit had its own scars and dents. Though clean and shiny, the armor had a dark past that led neither princess to consider it something of pride. Only the symbols of the sun and moon on their breastplates made them happy. After all, it was a reminder of their talents and love for each other.

“The stars may change little,” Luna told her sister next to her, “but in my heart these are special to me. Another land means another canvas.”

“And a different time for my star to rise,” Celestia replied.

Beside the two alicorns was Discord. He was joining them in observing the stars and moon glowing above. A peaceful but inspiring orchestral tune was playing along to their observations. The record player eventually moved on to the next track, forcing Discord to pop it out of existence. After all, Winter Wrap Up was not the most appropriate tune for the sacred moment.

“Aw,” Pinkie pouted. “I was looking forward to that song!”

“Though the night grows cold and the skies dark,” Discord leaned over to Pinkie, “we will always share the same exuberant heart.”

“Are you flirting with me, you old charmer, you?” Pinkie fluttered her eyelashes.

“I simply thought we shared a kindred spirit, you and I,” Discord smiled and patted her on the head. “You know me. I could never settle down. Well,” he corrected himself, “not for too long.”

Twilight was having her own conversation with Celestia now that she had the chance. “These monsters you're chasing...if they destroyed the magic dragons then can you really defeat them?”

“They will face the true power of my star if they are found,” Celestia replied with a grave expression. She tapped the flaring symbol at the center of her breastplate. “I never called upon it within Equestria for fear of the destruction it would wreak upon the inhabitants. Perhaps with Luna's help I might be able focus its power into small areas and save even foreign lands from it. We might not even have need of Discord.”

“Focus?” Twilight looked to Luna.

The dark mare had a spark of pride in her. “Imagine needing to write on a scroll with an ink pot and no quill. That is how the sun, our star, works when it is directed as a magical weapon. It can cause great harm with very little precision. I have experience in reflecting and re-directing that power. That is, after all, what the moon does in part. I'm sure I need not lecture you of all ponies.”

The Queen of Equestria blushed with that compliment.

“The important thing,” Celestia spoke again, “is that we can work together to defeat this foe.”

“Promise me the three of you will come back safely,” Twilight insisted.

Luna felt a hesitation in her heart but Celestia did better to hide her reservations. “We will,” the elder alicorn gave the promise she knew she could not guarantee.

“I don't suppose you'll explain anything else before you leave,” Twilight gave one more hopeful try.

Celestia shook her head gently. “Some shadows of the past should remain so.”

“May you never need this,” Luna added as her forehoof tapped her chestplate.

Though Twilight was now wearing her own changeling chestplate, it was far more minimal than Luna's was and was not designed for battle. Twilight's accessories were just that. Accessories. She knew the depth of meaning for true armor if only for Chrysalis' old memories. Whatever functionality her changeling grafted into her chestplate, she hoped it would never be used for combat.

They all continued to enjoy the calm stargazing. Applejack and Fluttershy helped themselves to much of the punch and snacks that were laid out on the royal red picnic blanket. Rainbow Dash was quiet and restive for once, her thoughts on her undecided future. Would she become the soft-hearted pony she always wanted to be and was soon becoming? At the very least, she knew she would be with the new Queen of Equestria.

Chrysalis was laying head down on the separate star-patterned blanket, her eyes transfixed on Twilight in a droopy gaze. Her horn continued to glow as her mind traded endless affections with Twilight over their connection. Perhaps the queen was right and she was simply getting more and more mellow with each passing day. She no longer cared about such change because she was enjoying her situation too much.

As the crickets sounded off and lightning bugs flittered by, all knew the moment was coming upon them. They all wanted to stretch the night out, some more than others. Hours passed until no punch or snacks were left. The first to break the unspoken treaty to ignore the parting was, ironically, Fluttershy.

Discord was laying beside the pegasus when Luna stood up from where she lay. All knew this was the cue. The two princesses and one draconequus had to leave. Fluttershy couldn't bear it and launched at Discord, hugging him tight and crying without restraint.

“You can't leave!” Fluttershy cried, tears running like rivers soaking her face. “Not when you've finally opened up to friendship!”

The others let Discord handle the mare while they each bid the princesses farewell.

“Shy,” Discord soothed. “That is precisely why I am going. Don't you see?”

Fluttershy sniffled and even hiccuped while he rubbed her back through their hug.

“I do care about you. All of you. That's why I have to go and do everything I can. If Princess Sunbutt says she needs my help then she must have really stepped in it, right?”

Fluttershy cracked an awkward smile through her sadness. The jester's joking had managed to cheer her up if only a little.

“I suppose I won't be here for your wedding, though. That is a shame,” the draconequus frowned. “I would have liked to do something reckless with your bouquet. Perhaps turn the blossoms into miniature tatzlwurms. Friendly ones, of course.”

Fluttershy's face hurried into a blush. She both hated and loved how he made her run a gauntlet of emotions in such a short period of time. “If I didn't love Twilight, I might have considered you...”

For the first time in his life, Discord was shocked into silence. His mouth hung just slightly ajar.

“Come back to me in one piece, okay?” Fluttershy tried to sound casual again. “I really do love our Tuesday Tea.”

Discord regained his senses with a nod and a final parting hug.

The others gave the tall chaos master a warm farewell as well. When Discord began magically levitating their supply cart with his restored magic, Celestia indicated for Twilight and Spike to follow her away from the others for a final word. The pair obeyed and Twilight even limited their hivemind for privacy.

Once they were at a comfortable distance away on the moonlit field, Celestia affectionately embraced her former student. The armor was warm rather than cold against the bare parts of Twilight's coat. No doubt it was warmed by intention by Celestia. “I love you, Twilight," the elder mare whispered in her motherly tone. "Never forget that.”

The tremor in the elder mare's voice sunk Twilight's heart and made her fear what she had suspected all along. She returned the hold and was reluctant to let go. “If you didn't mean to come back, you'd tell me wouldn't you? Please tell me you would.”

None of Twilight's urgency could deter Celestia even if it was breaking her heart. “Of course,” she lied as tears formed in the corners of her eyes. “I couldn't bear to have too many Hearth's Warmings without you. The cake especially,” she joked to lighten herself up.

“The cake,” Twilight laughed in a painfully reflective manner. She tried to share Celestia's false cheer. “I'll be sure to save you a slice for when you get back...mom...”

“Twilight,” Celestia bit her lip as she pulled back.

“I've said it before and it's true. You're like my second mother,” Twilight tried to smile but just wound up looking hurt. “You've been such a huge pony in my life. And not just because you're tall,” she gave a heartfelt smile. “I wouldn't be who I am now if it hadn't been for you. I still look up to you even though you tell me not to.”

Celestia didn't know how to express herself anymore. She just leaned in and nuzzled the smaller mare. Though they had to separate now, she knew they had a special bond that could never be broken. Knowing that she was leaving her cherished Twilight safely back in Equestria meant a lot to her.

Luna gave her sister the extra time she needed and even gave Twilight her own special thanks afterwards. After all, Twilight was highly responsible for her return to sanity. She took note of Celestia looking back over her shoulder time and time again as they left the field in the moonlight. The elder sister waved a few times as well when she looked behind them at Twilight and her friends.

It was not only to Luna's relief but also to Discord's when they finally walked over a crest in the landscape that blocked visibility to Twilight's distant group. Not having them in sight anymore meant that Celestia could finally come to terms with their situation. That was what prompted her next words.

Celestia looked to her sister. “Am I too clingy?”

Discord stifled his laughter.

“Not in any bad way, Tia,” Luna replied gently. “We all should be clingy to some degree. It shows that we truly care. I did not wish to leave them either.”

“We had nearly a dozen nighttime talks together over the past two weeks,” Celestia reflected.

The small group got onto the old road leading away from Canterlot towards the east. The tapping of their hooves was loud in comparison to the quietness of the night. Only some chirping insects and the distant rushing water of Canterlot Falls gave any ambiance to the warm environment. Discord chose to hover via his magic rather than walk. His wings did occasionally make a flapping sound, however pointless that was.

“I do understand the feeling,” Discord added in. He continued to use his magic to pull their supply cart behind them. “I worry about Fluttershy, you know. She's such a delicate pony.”

“I can assure you,” Luna gave a playful smirk, “she's in no danger with Twilight.”

“Is that a clever joke or are you making fun of my legitimate concern?” Discord squinted back.

“Personally,” Celestia broke in and looked to Discord, “I hope you lighten up more than our supplies for us. I'd hate our trip to be glum.”

“No sweat,” the draconequus immediately replied with a large toothy smile that was more creepy than encouraging. “How about some knock-knock jokes?”

“No,” the two sisters instantly shut him down.

Discord wilted.

“We, uh,” Luna stumbled. “We mean that perhaps another form of cheer is in order.”

“I've got it!” Discord snapped his fingers. A strange screen popped into existence a good twenty hooves from their faces. It was positioned so that it hovered at a continuous distance before them on the trail. “Feature presentation: Tia and Lulu Explore Outer Space!”

That seemed to cheer the two up a bit. They both had to admit that, in spite of the late hour and the sadness of leaving Equestria behind even for a time, at least they had a third companion to share the journey with. And what better companion than the Master of Chaos?

The screen displayed the opening scene with a filly-aged Celestia and Luna floating through space in strange suits. Luna blushed when the young version of her spoke with a foal-like lisp.

“How's it feel livin' in a post-Celestia world?” Applejack ribbed Twilight.

The pair were in the royal garden at Canterlot castle. It had been days since the royal princesses had left them. The city had been eerily silent and even a little on edge. Applejack may have meant it as a joke but Twilight feared that was not how Equestria thought of it.

“You know better than to jest,” Twilight folded her forehooves on what used to be Celestia's grand garden pillow. She tried not to think about how likely it was that even the pillow itself was older than her. “The court has been tense. Nopony has said it but tensions are up.”

“Didn't mean no harm,” AJ tipped her hat.

The queen was eager to change the subject. “How's your Hive Power?”

Applejack held up a forehoof and formed a small black orb of energy with her special power. “Hungry as a hog in summer swelter. I don't get it. How can I of all ponies have a power that none of us can understand?”

Twilight remained composed, which she had become very good at as of late. She leaned over to Applejack's side and probed at the orb with her own purple and green magic. “There are a near infinite number of things in this world we do not yet understand – to say nothing of alternative magic and worlds beyond. We simply have to keep testing and analyzing it. Obviously it is a form of void magic. The real question is where the exit point is.”

The alicorn squinted and tried sending a magical beacon into the matter-sucking black orb. The transmitter disappeared into it, reporting a spacial jump just as it did. However, that was all. Twilight's hivemind heard the report of the magical construct but the information did not include any direction. The transmitter went silent right after it began a spacial warp.

Twilight tapped her chin. “Void magic is nothing new. Basic unicorn teleportation is a form of it. This, however, is different enough to be worrying. Without knowledge of the exit point, I wouldn't dare send anything alive through to find out where it goes. It could lead into the heart of the sun, after all.”

“Chrysalis went through it as that scorpony thingamajig, right?”

“She used a shape-shift trick in the early transport phase to keep her matter from being pulled all the way through,” Twilight shook her head. “She never saw the other side. And good thing too because she could have been hurt - or worse.”

I'd rather not recall how close that was, Chrysalis hummed over the hivemind.

You brought it on yourself, Twilight retorted deadpan. She knew she didn't have to add the next part since they had already gone over it. Chrysalis was never to do anything like that ever again.

“How does this transport stuff work anyhow?” the farm pony slanted her mouth. She bounced the void orb in her hoof. Though she was comfortable in controlling it, she had no idea how it worked. After all, she hadn't exactly been a magic user for long.

Twilight glanced up to the bright morning sky where Rainbow Dash flew around overhead. “Magic stimulus motivates a select portion of matter to shift position. Matter cannot be created or destroyed but it can be moved and rearranged. Teleporting is somewhat like instructing certain matter - such as my own body – to change its spacial position.”

AJ regretted getting Twilight into lecture mode. Her eyes began to glaze over.

“Magical energy directed out of the user determines where the teleported object will be shifted to based on the output level and the user's position relative to the object or – in the case of self-teleportation – a precise frequency in which the magic is cast. That's really oversimplifying it, however. This void field is using some kind of dark magic formula to mask the actual energy output, which is why it's impossible to deduce the exit point. But what I can deduce by inference is that this void magic should be transmitting a magical pulse at thirteen micros with a six beat alteration on the planar scale of three Y.”

In Applejack's head, Twilight's words both spoken and in the hivemind translated to: “thirteen apples with a six apple on the apple scale of three apple.” The strong farm pony gulped, hoping Twilight was too wrapped up in her explanations to know what her words were translating to. In an attempt to prevent her from ever finding out, Applejack got up abruptly from the pillow, extinguished the orb, and yanked Twilight into following her.

“Come on,” AJ insisted with a nervous tick in her eye and a fake smile, “let's go get some cider!”

“Huh? Why-” Twilight tried to ask why her lecture was being interrupted.

“I'm sure Celestia stored up plenty of interestin' flavors in the cellar!” Applejack stated in faux enthusiasm. “Not that any of 'em could beat my own, mind you. Just a good chance to loosen up, let out some of that tension!”

Twilight gave up as the stronger-built pony continued dragging her into the castle. “Oh, fine...” she mumbled.

Pinkie Pie snapped in and out of existence with the crack of thunder. She soared the skies at high speed on her mechanical changeling wings that left a glowing green trail in their wake. The night sky was perfect for it to show, after all. Though Luna was not there to put the stars in place under the Equestrian skyscape, the stars were there all the same. She had obviously done her duty from wherever she was now.

The pink party pony was prepared for precipitation - given the probability of it. The dark clouds she zipped past looked ready to storm. No matter, though. She was testing her changeling horn in conjunction with her wings. It seemed she could use her Hive Power to teleport mid-flight after all. That sure sped things up!

“Hahahahagh,” Pinkie laughed with a snort at the end. Too bad you're busy, Dashie. I'd love a good race!

Some other day, Rainbow shook her head. She was in Canterlot Castle's bakery. Twi's rainbow cookies are almost done.

Golly oh gee, Dashie, Pinkie continued to cheerfully laugh as she soared the heavens above Mt Canter. Never thought you'd try replacing me as a baker!

Not really, Rainbow said in a more bored manner. She watched as the cookies turned brown at the edges in the oven. Her head was propped up by her forehoof while she leaned against the kitchen counter. You've baked for thousands. I'm only baking for one.

Awww, Pinkie cooed. You're as sweet as my Double Chocolate Cupcake Supremes!

Rainbow shook that off with a blush and got to extracting the cookies from the hot oven. When she opened the door, a wave of heat blasted her face. She had been getting used to it lately, however.

Twilight was, of course, fully aware of this conversation and all others going on in her hive. She was currently in the throne room. All of the majestic splendor of the ancient royal chamber meant little to her now. Storm Sword was talking to her about the latest developments in Canterlot and within the Guard ranks. It wasn't good.

Wanting nothing more than to relax in her new castle bedroom with Rainbow and her fresh cookies, Twilight concluded her late night chat with the new Captain of the Guard. “Thanks,” the Queen didn't bother to hide her exhaustion. She and Storm had formed a close understanding with each other. Twilight was deeply grateful that Celestia had set up her appointment before leaving because things would have been far worse had Storm not been in position to reduce ongoing power-fighting.

After they parted way in the throne room, Twilight spoke into the hivemind. Another day, another disaster averted. I'm ready to forget my worries. Shy?

The sunny-yellow mare chirped in with her pleasant voice. All ready, Twily, she even giggled. I situated the pillows and I have that new novel you've been wanting to read. Rainbow's coming up-

You know, Rainbow cut in, I'm actually going to miss Buggy tonight. Something about her has grown on me.

Chrysalis dug the hole deeper with a combination of her bountiful magic and natural changeling shoveling skills. Among all changelings, the queen varieties were the most capable of digging. The ground was soft, so that certainly helped. Moist green grass had been upturned in the spot she had chosen. The irony of the location hadn't eluded her.

She was near Neighagra Falls - in a forest who's features came back to her in broken memories. The moonlight was sufficient for her work even below the treetops. Thick undergrowth and fallen pine needles mixed with the grass above, but she was nearly her own height into the ground by now. The transmitter needed a deep foundation, after all.

She remembered this place. The distant sound of the massive waterfalls and the smell of the wet forest. She had almost died here. This was where her hive had abandoned her and she laid with her final breaths on a nearby road. Oh, how the world would have been different if Twilight's carriage hadn't found her that day!

"The tables have turned," Chrysalis buzzed to herself. Her horn glowed green as it swirled together new formations of clod to begin shaping the transmitter pole's base. "Who knew being a pony's cuddle bunny could be so empowering?" she laughed openly.

Talking to yourself? Twilight's voice came faintly over the hivemind.

Their current distance from each other meant their connection was weak. But with the transmitter Chrysalis was creating, the hivemind would maintain a strong connection between Canterlot and the Crystal Empire where Spike and Rarity were soon to be.

Simply enjoying your affection, my dear queen, Chrysalis grinned happily with her fangs.

The changeling filled the soil back in over the foundation's balancing rods. She was content with the power she now wielded because of Twilight's love. With the princesses and Discord gone, nothing was left in Equestria that could challenge her strength.

PreviousChapters Next