• Published 6th Aug 2013
  • 20,706 Views, 1,217 Comments

Hive Alive - BlackWater



Twilight saved Chrysalis from a bitter end, thus changing her own fate and that of the Elements of Harmony. As she learns the power of redemption, Twilight gains power never before recorded in history. Equestria itself will never be the same.

  • ...
65
 1,217
 20,706

PreviousChapters Next
28 - Secrecy is Unnecessary



A long distance magical communication was made. It took quite a bit of focus since they were on opposite sides on the planet, but the initiator of the connection was particularly miffed that day and would have no reservation about the whole situation. Enough was enough, it decided. This sort of thing was simply intolerable.

“Yes?” the receiver of the magical communication responded in a tired voice. It was early in the morning and it had been ready to knock off for a solid five hours of rest. It didn't do that sleeping thing very often and hated it whenever someone or something decided to take that rare occasion away from it. After all, it was the only time it ever stopped hearing the incessant whining of all those mortals that took to doing nothing but that until they pushed up the daisies.

The voice was cast in a magically ethereal tone that no living thing could perceive simply because the words were carried over the leylines themselves rather than vibrations of the air as all those primitive beings took to doing.

You!” the caller bit out in a completely gender-neutral tone that was typical of their kind.

"Ah," the receiver realized with complete disinterest. It should have known it was the Tree of Harmony to begin with. Only the Tree had managed to keep up in sending those ripples of annoyance throughout the magical realm. And only the Tree directed them at itself, the Vine.

“This is the last straw! Your little hackjob just about killed me!” the Tree shrilled with a bloody vengeance.

The Vine would have sighed if it had a mouth to do so with. Instead, it had to consent to sighing metaphorically, which was hardly as satisfying. “I assume you speak of my draconequus?” it queried in a still bored voice.

“The sneaking vile little filth!” the Tree shrieked again. “It choked me, you hapless weed. It tried to kill me!”

The Vine would have liked to yawn now. It went back to the metaphorical version and was even less impressed with it this time. Perhaps it would someday go through with its insane idea to temporarily take on the body of some mortal creature just so it could sigh and yawn at their pathetic little tirades. Not that the Tree's own rambling didn't qualify as such.

“Do you know what it used, weed? Hm? Do you?!” the Tree incensed.

“No, what?” The Vine regretted asking as soon as it did.

“Vines!” the Tree exploded. “Big black vines, you deathless creep!”

It had been so long since it had laughed. So many years and now the Vine finally found the blissful joy of it once more, even where it was hidden down in the lightless chasm of the arachne's underground temple. The sound of the bellowing laugh didn't reach the half-spiders, of course. But it did reach through the leyline communication and infuriate the Tree of Harmony to new heights of rage.

“That's my boy!” the Vine kept laughing.

“You raving lunatic,” the Tree seethed more than any tree had any business to. “It tried to kill me!”

“Yes, you said that already,” the Vine wished it had tear ducts to express the tears of laughter it would have shed. “But, clearly, you are still alive.”

“Y-yes,” the Tree stumbled in its wrath.

“I take it he called the whole thing off?” the Vine pressed on.

Again the Tree stumbled. “W-well, how did you know?”

“Because it was either him or the current bearers of your Elements,” the Origin of Life answered. “And I happen to know, for various reasons, that the Elements are not yet in your care again.”

Apparently losing the momentum it hoped to have on the subject, the Tree switched to the new subject of infuriation. “The bearers! Hah! How dare you or anyone else refer to them as such. They're dirty little thieves. All of them. Did I give them permission to take them? No. But I'd like to see one kind soul that thought to ask me if I was doing alright. I mean, here I am rooted in some rotting cave I didn't plan on being stuck in and here comes two half-beaten vagrants to tear them off my poor limbs. Tear them off! Do you have any idea how painful it was? Hm?! I'm just minding my own business and here comes company. 'Oh, hello there. I do love company. It's been so long, you know. Would you like some water-? Oh dear stars! Argh! What are you doing?! My limbs! Oh the pain!'”

The Vine would have liked to have a pair of griffon claws just then. It could use them to light a match and burn itself to ashes so it wouldn't have to hear the incessant ranting. This was, after all, not the first time it had been through all this.

“Oh what then?!” The Tree was really into it now. “Just take off? Here I am, branches curling in agony, and they just up and leave. Never come back. Now I'm down to barely an eighth of my strength, battling off every demi-whatever that comes along and tries to kill me, the world, the Everfree, what have you! Nothing but my weak pathetic reserve magic to do it with. Royal sisters, my roots! If I ever see those dumb ponies again, I'll take my thickest branch and slap their rears so hard they'll make a crater right where they came from! Dumb stupid ponies!”

“Done yet?” The Vine metaphorically yawned.

“Done? Done?!” the Tree blew a second or third fuse. The Vine hadn't been counting.

“Suppose not,” the disinterested of the two returned its attention to the real world, where it found a crack in the side of the chasm. So interesting.

“It's vindictive, that insane pot of parts you created! It used vines on purpose. It could have used anything else. But no. Vines!”

The crack went deeper. Oh, look. There was another crack inside of it!

“That's it!” the Tree went on. “I don't want to be Harmony any more. Can I change my destiny? I want to be Ironic Justice. I'd be satisfied with my life! Now apologize. And get rid of that stupid hackjob of yours!”

“As I understand it,” the Vine felt tired just at having to respond. It really wanted that five hours now. “My draconequus fixed the whole mess...unfortunately. So you're alive and he's clearly on your side. I don't see the problem. Oh, and I'm sorry for the trouble...I guess.”

“What?!” the Tree gaped across the leyline in complete disbelief. “You guess?”

“Look,” the Vine tried to be patient and understanding. It wasn't easy. “I try to do something nice. I make life and such because it seems to be my dreadful destiny. 'Here's some life, half-dead pony. Here's some life, rock. Here's some life, whatever you are.' I do it day after day and what do I get for it? 'I'd like an apology.' Yes. Even from you, dear Elementless tree friend of mine. That's all I ever get. No 'thank you, I'm glad you gave me the chance to live.' No 'gee, I'm happy I got this shot and all.' Just 'I'd like an apology.' It feels like some comedy gone wrong and I'm at the bad end of it.”

“Oh,” was all the Tree said, most of the steaming anger gone.

“Yes, 'oh.' Best reaction I've had in the last hundred years to be honest. Sad, isn't it?” the Vine practically commented to itself. “I'm just telling it like it is but, every time I do, the other vine - well, whoever the other being is - just says something foul at me and leaves, as if I should just crawl in some hole in the ground and kill myself for having feelings.”

“But you are in a hole in the ground, you have to admit,” the Tree offered up in a contrasting and compassionate tone completely unlike the earlier ones.

“Yes, I am in a hole in the ground,” the Vine agreed.

Silence ensued.

“Sorry,” the Tree finally said after a lengthy pause. “I apologize for getting off my soil there. Just had a rough day, you know?”

“I understand. Really I do.”

Now it was the Tree of Harmony that tried the metaphorical sigh. It helped. “I'm feeling kind of harmonious again. Thanks for hearing me out.”

“What are friends for?” the Vine returned as it crawled back up to the arachnes above it in the physical realm.

“You're going to have company, probably,” the Tree later remarked as an after-thought.

“You too, I think. Ponies, I'm afraid.”

“I'm calm now. I'm sure they're very nice and friendly ponies.”

The Vine started coordinating with the half-spiders for one thing or another. “Yes,” it commented. “I'm pretty sure they are.”

“Chrysalis,” a thinly patient voice of a pony queen called up to the mattress atop the stepped uprising in the bed chamber.

“Twilight!” responded not just the changeling but all the other occupants in the room, including several ponies and one dragon.

“Is everything alright?” Rarity trotted up with as much worry as she had regarding her own pending decisions.

“What was that all about?” Rainbow huffed.

“Are we in trouble? What's that book?” Spike nervously twiddled his claws.

“I finished the wings!” Pinkie bounced up onto her rear legs and held an odd contraption over her head. She made a snort-like shout of victory upon doing so. It was the kind of Pinkie snort-like shout of victory that only Pinkie herself could do.

“I assume you want words with me?” Chrysalis predisposed with an ill tenor.

“In order,” Twilight forced herself to be far more patient than she felt, “yes, it's complicated, no, it's private for now, do it outside, and not in the way you think. Again, in that order.”

The others all closed their mouths and became incredibly thoughtful to figure out where their answer was. It made some of them wonder if it wasn't simply a better idea to just wait one's turn before asking their question. Pinkie Pie, however, responded immediately and without the expected “okie dokie lokie.”

“Oh, Twi, m'queen,” she countered and came back down to her hooves, contraption tossed back onto the mattress. “Can't do it without your cross-warp difiguration magic, silly nilly mcfilly.”

Disfiguration?” Rarity gasped in horror.

“No, difiguration,” Pinkie corrected. “Like when you hit a change-warp with half more the amount of energy than it needs and then get stuck in a subethereal state.”

Rarity's face rivaled that of the stone statues out near the royal garden maze. Particularly the one of the famous Guard Captain from ancient Equestrian history that somehow managed to portray a stone-faced expression after already being a stone statue in the first place. It wasn't quite so easy to pull such a thing off and the statue only managed it because the historic pony it resembled happened to be named Captain Stone Shield. Rarity did a remarkable impersonation of it.

“Pinkie,” Twilight came up and temporarily rested a forehoof again her friend's shoulder. “We're going to need to talk about making use of my memories of magical studies. It's not safe. Difiguration is just advanced theory. It's as dangerous as current pegasi technology on lightning fusion.”

“Aww,” the bouncy Earth pony stuck her lips out.

“So?” Chrysalis buzzed at the same time that Rainbow asked it in her equally eager voice.

Twilight took the express route in the conversation. “Luna was just a little surprised about the hivemind. It's all been worked out. Now, I don't want to spend unnecessary time here since I'm sure everyone has things to get back to in Ponyville-”

“What about that Tree of Harmony?” Rarity pressed in both with her words and her hooves. She had followed Twilight like the rest onto the mattress.

The purple queen stepped lightly around the top of the bed, looking for something. She also placed the black book beside her spot near the top, sealing it with her own magic. None, however, had much clue what she was looking for until Chrysalis ventured a guess.

“Horseshoes?” the changeling offered, magically levitating them from where they had been placed halfway down the steps on the other side.

“Ah, thank you,” Twilight nodded and grabbed them in her own magic. “Yes, the Tree,” she turned to address Rarity. “We definitely need to check that out. But I'd rather wait a day before doing so when we get back. I need some time.”

“More thinking?” Rainbow queried, assuming her queen might need somepony to talk to again simply in the interest of relieving stress.

“No, quite the opposite actually,” Twilight replied with all seriousness. “I intend to lay in bed reading several enjoyable books and doing absolutely nothing else. Nothing. As in a normal peaceful afternoon variety of nothing.”

“Oh, good,” Spike puffed his chest out. “I've been needing a break too.”

“But you've only been reading that comic book, Spikey,” Rarity raised one brow.

The dragon blushed in embarrassment at being caught by the mare in such a way. “Well, uh, you know,” he stuttered. “There's just been a lot going on lately and, uh, I thought maybe it'd be nice not have have stuff going on...you know?”

Pinkie nearly bounced on top of him. “Aw, little Spikers needs his downtime,” she chuckled.

“Now, now,” Rarity stepped to Pinkie across the mattress and intervened. “It's quite understandable. Everypo- everyone needs some stability in their lives. It's only natural. One can't feel properly collected when they're constantly tossed about by the winds of life.”

Meanwhile, Twilight set about equipping the horseshoes and going down the steps to one of the room's few wall mirrors. Rainbow Dash and Chrysalis pursued her. Rather than for vanity, however, Twilight was looking at herself for inspiration. An idea had come to mind earlier about her changeling's ability to construct things and she was on the verge of a new breakthrough. She may also have bothered with the shoes because she figured it'd be an excuse to breach new ground with Chrysalis.

“Gold,” Twilight remarked as she looked at her attached horseshoes in the mirror. “Doesn't go well with my coat.”

“I think it's fine,” Rainbow remarked and then quickly added, “Rarity thinks that too. I mean, if our fashionista gives the go ahead then it must be good, right?”

Twilight let a playful line creep across her lips and struck a dramatic pose in front of the mirror. “You can just give me a compliment if you want, Dashie. You don't have to edge it in.”

The pegasus blushed, letting Chrysalis have her chance.

“You'd look even more alluring with a crown,” the changeling hummed happily.

Before Twilight could comment or change her position, a flash of green magic erupted atop her mane. Chrysalis winced with the double action of teleporting her working material and transforming the accessory, but had no trouble drawing the energy with her queen right there.

“Uh,” Rainbow opened her mouth.

Twilight noticed it too. The crown was the same as the one Chrysalis used to sport.

“Oh,” Chrysalis squealed in a high frequency buzz. “It's perfect!”

The queen brought herself back to a more reserved stance and tilted her head one way and another. Her mane shifted from side to side but the crown stubbornly didn't move. If she was unsure about the gold before then now she was certain that the black crown clashed with the look of the horseshoes.

“I might not have half the sense Rarity does, but it seems kind of off,” she remarked. “And I wasn't really wanting the shoes for looks in the first place. I thought maybe they could be – I don't know – functional for something?”

All the talk had inevitably made its way to the purple-maned unicorn's ears, who had become engaged in some back-and-forth with Spike. Said pony hopped down from the mattress and joined them. “Did somepony mention functional accessories?”

“Oh dear,” Rainbow sighed below a hoof she had placed to her forehead. “Here we go.”

Twilight groaned, though it was for her own thoughts and had nothing to do with Rarity. “Just trying to distract myself from thinking about the fact that I'm going to live long enough to see my favorite future authors be born, live their whole lives, and die while I stay the same.”

“Now that's not true,” Rarity flipped her mane for no good reason as she came up beside Twilight at the mirror. She looked at both of them standing there side by side with Rainbow Dash and Chrysalis behind them. “We all change over time no matter how long our lives are. You're not the same as you were when I first met you and you won't be the same in ten years, I'm sure. Most likely all for the better, but my point is that even the princesses are different now than they were a thousand years ago. My intuition tells me, darling.”

Twilight smiled at her friend because she saw something dawn on her face just then. It seemed that something Rarity had been pondering for the last few hours had finally resolved itself upon her own words. No doubt it had to do with her decision about the hivemind.

“I suppose,” Rarity added in self-reflection, looking less sure than her words. She glanced behind them to the mattress and the pink pony and purple dragon talking thereupon. “Perhaps...change is not something to fear. Our lives might just get better if we're brave enough.”

Twilight grabbed her opportunity. “The brave don't worry about what others will think of them. They're happy because they accept who they are...”

Rarity's eyes locked with Twilight's. She hadn't meant for the innocent conversation to go this way but she was glad to have the closure. Her feelings in the moment traced back well over two years worth of time. The queen encouraged her.

“Some won't accept it,” the unicorn frowned.

“But you will,” Twilight countered. “And your friends will.”

Rarity kept looking at the queen. “My friends...thank you, Twilight. I don't know why I let this bother me so much. I should have trusted my friendships more.”

The purple alicorn broke restraint and hugged the Element of Generosity. “It's alright. I forget to do that all the time. And if anyone gives you a hard time because of the way you are then just come to me. I'll beat them senseless for you,” she half joked in conclusion.

Rarity laughed lightly and leaned back to regain her composure. “Yes, well,” she flipped her mane again, as if it said something in and of itself. “I know a variety of combat styles. I think I can defend myself just fine.”

“What's this all about?” Rainbow finally cut in. Her forehooves were crossed as she hovered slightly off the floor.

“Our hivemind,” Twilight answered.

“Spike,” Rarity voiced at the same time.

Both mares looked to each other and laughed. A knowing expression was exchanged.

“Both,” Rarity agreed with the most lady-like laugh. “I'll be joining the lot of you. I'd just have regrets if I turned away now.”

“You know you don't-”

“Hush, Twilight,” Rarity cut the mare off politely. “You've told me enough already that I have no obligation. My decision, I assure you, is my own.”

The lavender queen felt some kind of warm feeling inside. Sure she was happy that Rarity wanted to be apart of this but there was something else causing that sensation. It almost felt like she was overjoyed at the prospect of having more in her hivemind. In reflection, she wondered if that was what it was like for a changeling queen whenever a newborn was hatched. She glanced to Chrysalis, who just gave her a look of innocence.

“So now you're getting a piece of this, huh?” Rainbow half-lidded her eyes and leaned sideways on Rarity. She made a terribly conspicuous gesture to a preoccupied Spike, as if to say something without actually saying it.

“I, well that is to say,” the targeted mare looked helplessly to Twilight, then to Spike, and finally back to Rainbow while braking on her words. “Ahem,” she cleared up, “it is simply uncouth to ask a lady such insinuating questions.”

“Oh, I see,” Rainbow played along. “So I was right.”

“Right about what?” Rarity stuttered about with “ke” and “che” noises being flung about. “Really!”

“Well then,” Twilight raised her voice for everyone to hear. “Perhaps we should celebrate-”

“Partay!” Pinkie Pie bounced into the middle of the group with confetti and balloons scattering out of thin air. The word “celebrate” was more than enough to snap her out of whatever she was talking to Spike about.

Rainbow rolled her eyes but was cheerful all the same. “Who didn't see that one coming?”

“Yes, Pinkie,” Twilight rubbed the pink pony on the head, which made her close her eyes in contentment. “But this is for Rarity, so she gets to choose where we're going for this evening.”

“Going?” most of the others asked at the same time.

“This is Canterlot,” the queen explained. “It may be kind of boring because I grew up here but you always have somewhere you want to go, right Rarity?”

“Oh my,” the unicorn's eyes dazzled. “Anyplace in Canterlot? With a princess to open the doors to every highest-tier spot at every highest-tier establishment?!”

Queen,” Chrysalis gave her insistent correction.

“Oh, I know just the place!” Rarity got into it as if she had known exactly where she wanted to go all along. “The crème de la crème! The Hallowed Hanging Gardens. Equestria's most prestigious and exclusive recreational spa!”

“Spa Party!” Pinkie Pie began flipping out.

Spike just shook his head and surprisingly voiced nothing about it other than mysteriously saying “don't need a magic ball.”

“Oh, but I don't want to detain us here in Canterlot if you-” Rarity began to worry.

Twilight stopped her. “It's fine, Rarity. I didn't exactly plan on leaving this evening anyway. I'm looking forward to this. Honest.”

A series of conversations thus ensued regarding all plans necessary and quite a few unnecessary as well. With the sun still shining bright through the large windows and two glass outcroppings, there was no need for anything at all to feel rushed. Twilight was grateful above all others for this because she wanted plenty of time to settle her own thoughts regarding Rarity, Spike, the princesses, immortality, and all the other hundreds of things she found herself wrapped up in.

As the day drew on, conversations came and went just as the occupants of the room did in their need of food, refreshment, relief, and similar mundane parts of life. Of course, a few of them found refreshment to be anything but mundane. Pinkie Pie had already made a half dozen trips to the kitchen to both teach and learn from the chef in regards to a wide variety of baked goods.

Rainbow Dash started a peculiar conversation with her queen as to the origins of the odd colors and designs of the bed sheets and wall tapestries. Twilight was surprised that Rainbow of all would bring it up and eventually came to suspect the mare was mellowing out for opportunities for more relaxed conversations with her. Of course, she could simply have been over-thinking the matter. She often over-thought things and reminded herself to be less analytical of every little detail. In all fairness, however, she did later find her suspicions to be correct. Rainbow just liked talking to her.

It was at the setting of the sun, moments before the group left for the evening trip, that a certain pony found her chance to get her changeling aside.

“Chrysalis,” Twilight called said changeling over, who was immediately obedient. She proceeded in a lower voice. “We've got to clear some things up. First of all, I understand you upset Luna quite a bit. I may not have been there but it's very important for all of us to get along.”

Chrysalis tried opening her mouth in defense but Twilight prevented her by reaching up and plugging it with her forehoof.

“Ah-ah,” the purple alicorn warned. “I'm not saying you were in the wrong. I know you feel very strongly about me and my hivemind. I know you care. I also know you can be hot-headed from time to time. Luna was willing to let it go this time so I'm not asking you to go make some presentation of it. I just want you to write a letter apologizing to her.”

Twilight's hoof was removed and the changeling sighed with a vibrating wobble in her voice. “Very well,” she relented. “But only for you, my queen.”

“Thank you,” Twilight relaxed a bit at it. “I also need you to cut all the secrecy. What I said back home was meant to be serious. I'd like to have a full connection to both you and Spike.”

Chrysalis started withdrawing but Twilight's forehoof moved to her shoulder and stopped her.

“Please,” the queen pleaded. “I can handle this. Just trust me, Chrysy.”

Although Chrysalis had been apprehensive about it before, she couldn't find it in herself to say no to that. No matter how much Twilight insisted on her being honest and trusting her, Chrysalis still struggled to be that way. After all, she had her worries just as any other sentient being naturally would. What if Twilight couldn't handle the stress from knowing the truth? Or what if she stopped liking her because she didn't agree with something?

Twilight must have sensed the internal debate because she made a move to help end it. With one simple movement, the purple pony leaned up and gave a chaste but expressive kiss to Chrysalis' forehead. “There's no need for all this worry,” Twilight whispered along with it.

Chrysalis was glad all the others were too busy with Pinkie Pie's obsession over the Rarity Fairy Initiation Spectacular Awesome Collective Party. If they had been looking over, they might have seen the first ever red changeling. Her blush moved through her whole body and, in spite of her apparent embarrassment, she rose a nervous hole-ridden forehoof up to point at her forehead. “Another?” she whispered with the most impossible combination of shyness and arrogance.

Twilight giggled. “If you link Spike and yourself with me tonight,” she made for tact. “And no half-links or covered memories. I want everything cleared up.”

“Aww,” Chrysalis hummed in defeat.

“Now let's see what you can do with these horseshoes,” the queen shifted hooves and raised her other foreleg. “Maybe we can figure something out that'll help with needing those sleep rings. If not then you'll have to make another one. I'm pretty sure that burnt one won't work anymore.”

PreviousChapters Next