• Published 6th Aug 2013
  • 20,642 Views, 1,217 Comments

Hive Alive - BlackWater



Twilight saved Chrysalis from a bitter end, thus changing her own fate and that of the Elements of Harmony. As she learns the power of redemption, Twilight gains power never before recorded in history. Equestria itself will never be the same.

  • ...
65
 1,217
 20,642

PreviousChapters Next
40 - Rain is Refreshing



Chirp! Chirp!

The light rain had stopped in some portions of the city, but Canterlot remained wet. Chrysalis and Fluttershy had taken a walk towards the train station, though it was at a very slow pace. They had lots of time and had no need to rush. The chirping of the birds was evidence to Fluttershy's special talent because the small creatures were coming out from their various rain shelters.

“It's okay,” Fluttershy assured a female cardinal that hovered in front of her. “The pegasi are moving the clouds away now.”

It chirped some kind of response. Initially, Chrysalis didn't understand what it said, but then she got the translation through the hivemind. The changeling's eye twitched. Was she going to inadvertently hear everything Fluttershy's animal friends said? That might get...tedious. She'd just have to tune it out the way she used to tune out the more annoying changelings in her former hive. In any case, the bird flew away and they continued their walk.

Fluttershy, apparently having remembered a past visit to Canterlot, had chosen a scenic route for them to walk along. Now that their umbrellas were closed and hooked on Chrysalis' saddlepacks, they had a much clearer view of the city around them. Or perhaps it was more the lands below rather than the city that they saw. Their path ran along the top of the outer city wall, which was permissible to them only because Fluttershy was one of the Elements.

“Why are you so calm about it?” the shy pegasus asked in her soft tone. It was a casual question as they slowly stepped across the mossy crenelated wall. On their right, the vast and diverse lands of Equestria could be seen beneath Mt. Canter. Cloudsdale was barely visible in the sky beside the receding rainclouds.

Chrysalis effortlessly used their hivemind to get Fluttershy's meaning, though she kept her own part of the conversation slow for the mare's sake. “I assume you think that I'm calm about Twilight's intention to dedicate herself especially to you, I, and Dashie,” she spoke their friend's nickname with a buzzy purr. “Or perhaps you refer to my reaction to our queen's official ascent to Queen of Equestria?”

“Well, that too,” Fluttershy admitted while keeping to her quiet voice. “But especially about our relationship. I know how much she means to you. She means just as much to me and I know she's Dashie's entire world even if Dashie herself won't admit it. How can you be so calm about sharing that special connection with us?”

The towering changeling paused for only a moment, looking down kindly to the smaller female. “For the same reason you're so calm.”

They stopped and Fluttershy fully faced Chrysalis before shying away to look out over the lands. “But I saw your past through Twilight. I felt the pain and hurt,” the Element of Kindness started to tear up. “Why would you choose to be so kind and selfless now?”

Chrysalis stepped closer to Fluttershy and wrapped a holey black hoof over her shoulder. “Because I experienced what I did and was given a second chance,” she smiled with her pointy teeth. “Because Twilight has led by example to show what love and friendship really means. Because I'm connected not just to her but also to you. Who better to understand kindness from than the Element of Kindness herself?”

Fluttershy began to blush but then turned red even faster when Chrysalis leaned down and nuzzled the side of her face. She tried to say something but her words only came out as embarrassed whimpers.

“I never intended for you to experience any anxiety or hardship because of Twilight's absence,” Chrysalis pulled back and poured out her heart. “I'm sorry for not anticipating it.”

When Fluttershy finally regained her composure, she hugged her changeling friend. “There's no need for apologies. If anything, I should be the one apologizing to you for not being more welcoming when Twilight first brought you to Ponyville. You've gone through so much. If...if Twilight isn't around and you need somepony to be with, I'd be honored to spend my time with you.”

Chrysalis beamed at the mare's words. It was a marked step up in Fluttershy's attitude towards her. A spark of green magic flicked from the tip of her jagged black horn, absorbing the love emanating from the sunny pegasus. Fluttershy noticed this but was only more happy for it. As they continued to talk to each other about whatever they wanted, the sun got a little brighter and the morning air got a little bit warmer.

“Why am I so obsessed?” Applejack echoed back to Rainbow Dash while they ran outside of the city walls. Though the trees were many and the grass was thick, the worn dirt paths were adequately traveled and were easy to run down without tripping over some rock or branch.

Rainbow Dash didn't break a sweat as she kept up pace with the Earth pony. “You expect trouble?”

“Nah.”

“You're a terrible liar,” Rainbow deadpanned.

“That was sarcasm, RD,” the farm pony replied before starting them down another path that led to a small pond near Canterlot's northern wall.

“Sure it was. Just tell me when you can actually use our Hive Power like I can!” Rainbow exclaimed and immediately opened her wings.

She gave only a few starting flaps before exploding forwards in a low altitude flight that left a rainbow trail crackling with green energy. Her speed was nearly to Rainboom levels without having yet performed an actual Rainboom. Before Applejack could finish rolling her eyes, Rainbow had zipped back, closed her wings, and was running along her side once more.

“I need to get a hang of this here Hive thingamajig,” Applejack resumed their conversation. To her credit, she hadn't gone out of breath even though they had been running for some time. “Being a princess was one thing, but being the queen of all darn gone Equestria is serious business. I got to be at least a sliver as serious as she is.”

“I'm all the protection she needs,” Rainbow argued even as her hooves lifted from the ground and she matched Applejack's pace by flying low.

Not wanting to roll her eyes again, the orange mare slowed her run instead. “I'm pretty sure that's what the guards are for,” she countered. “I was more thinkin' along the lines of a major disaster callin' for the Elements of Harmony.”

“Pfft,” Rainbow scoffed. “As if that'll ever happen. I don't know if you've been paying attention, AJ, but we've beat the living daylights out of every villain in Equestria. Who's left?!”

“Hey now,” Applejack stopped completely.

They had arrived at the pond that had the miniature colorful fish darting around inside it. Though the body of sparkling water was small, it was also deep and dark at the center. It might have felt like a lonely place if the wind hadn't picked up and the sun hadn't come through the receding clouds.

“What?” Rainbow rose a brow and landed at the damp edge of the water.

“You seriously askin' that?”

“Asking what?”

Applejack shook her head because Rainbow wasn't getting the hint through their hivemind. “Every other day there's somepony crawlin' out of the woodwork lookin' to conquer the world. We didn't even know King Sombra existed until the Crystal Empire popped up out of nowhere.”

Rainbow's tongue stuck in her mouth. She didn't have a good counter for that and Applejack knew it with or without their hivemind. Before the silence had a chance to get heavy, they both heard the words spoken to Twilight about Spike stepping in for the Crystal Empire.

“Aw, nelly!”

Rainbow Dash dropped her face into her forehooves with a groan. “Way to read the mood, Oblivious Armor,” she said sarcastically.

“Twilight already has too much to think about,” Applejack furrowed her brows in worry. “And we need to get back to Ponyville. How in tarnation...?”

Spike nearly spit his drink back out after having just taken a sip. Rarity, walking smoothly by his side, had almost tripped. They had both passively heard the conversation through the hivemind just as the others had. The pair had stopped simultaneously on the sidewalk, surrounded by ponies still walking about since the rain had ceased in that part of the city. Rainclouds were receding, but some portions of Canterlot were still under light rain.

Rarity looked to her special drake, uncertainty plastered on her face. She held her cup of specialty tea in her magical grip while he held his hot chocolate with his claws. A white hoof on his side prompted him to look down to meet her eyes. While walking on his two back legs, his height was above her eye level.

The hivemind was rife with discussion over the question. With the help of Chrysalis and Rarity's advice, Spike gave his thoughts to Twilight. It may have been a terribly complicated idea for Shining Armor and Princess Cadance to suggest, but Spike was put at ease by Twilight's quick inner scheduling and Chrysalis' hivemind assurance. The dragon was also a little excited with the prospect.

“Of course, we understand you can't make the decision for him,” Shining Armor quickly added.

“But you know he values my opinion,” Twilight explained what wasn't said. She had immediately heard Spike's questions in the hivemind, which were all directed at her. “It's a big responsibility.”

Cadance looked sheepish. “I'm sorry, Twilight. We know how much you've been going through...especially the recent accident...”

The purple mare took a deep breath and used the hoof motion Cadance had taught her, which the pink princess smiled meekly at. “It's alright. I've been learning to deal with it. As for whether or not Spike could fill the position-”

“It's okay if he needs time to consider it,” Shining disclaimed.

“-the answer is yes.”

Shining Armor turned very thoughtful for a moment, as if reasoning out whether it was only Twilight's answer or Spike's conveyed response over the hivemind. Such concepts of communication were strange to him and he had almost forgotten about it. Cadance smiled a few seconds before her husband did.

“Only after the crowning ceremony here in Canterlot, though,” Twilight stated. She rested her forehooves on the table and shifted on her seat. “Chrysalis will need to work out some method of long-distance hivemind transmission. I haven't figured out the precise distance on connection deterioration. I've got a wealth of other issues to address as well.”

“We don't want to keep you,” Shining offered his consideration to his younger sister.

Twilight brightened up, however. “You won't get rid of me that easily, big brother,” she giggled. “I didn't want to meet up to talk business and then leave. How about we catch up on the stuff that's actually important. Like what you and Cadance have been doing with your free time?”

The white stallion blushed and averted his eyes.

Cadance brought a forehoof to her lips in a vain attempt to hide a giggle that matched Twilight's. “I don't think he could tell you anything that doesn't involve the two of us in candlelight.”

“Oooh,” Twilight smirked at the red-cheeked male. “Got to keep the honeymoon going, huh?”

“C'mon, you two,” he complained weakly. “Is it so bad that I love my wife?”

Cadance got a wild look in her eyes. “Should I make the flirty comeback or just leave it to your imagination?”

The brother and sister laughed at that, but they calmed themselves back down when they saw one of Twilight's guards approaching. Her guards had shadowed her the whole way and one of them stood stock still at the edge of the table area's roof canopy while the other walked up to them.

Neither had a readable expression but, then, neither did any of Shining Armor and Cadance's crystal guards. There had to be at least half a dozen of them failing to be inconspicuous in the distance. It was hard for them to be subtle with their sparkling crystal coats.

“What is it?” Twilight asked with furrowed brows. The guards had been forced to switch their shifts again since the accident, which was why Direway and Flash Sentry were the ones currently with her. She wasn't yet connected to Flash, so she couldn't use the hivemind to know his thoughts.

“My queen,” the orange pegasus bowed and sounded very nervous. “I'm very sorry for interrupting, but I have realized there is no good time to speak to you about this.”

“About what?” Twilight asked again and got out of her seat so she could stand face-to-face with him. Though she didn't do it consciously, her face and body language was already demonstrating her motherly concern for one of her soon-to-be hive members. It was a personality trait she was continuing to obtain through Chrysalis' influence and the guard's troubled look certainly called for it.

Shining Armor was going to speak up to the guard since they had once served together in the Canterlot division, but Cadance stopped him. She knew Twilight needed to handle it.

“My failure...” Flash lowered his gaze to the stone flooring of the table area. He felt ashamed. “When the accident happened, I was nothing but a disgrace to my uniform. I should have at least done something to mitigate the danger to the others, but I was so full of fear that I was frozen-”

“Discord,” Twilight interjected, “informed me of a few details. Like how he stopped you. There's no reason to worry over what happened. It's behind us now and that's where it will stay. I'm guessing there was something else on your mind.”

“Actually, yes,” he replied but seemed to get even more nervous. “I know I have no right to bring this up after how pathetic I must have seemed-”

“You're one of my own guards,” Twilight interrupted him again. “You can just tell me whatever you want to.”

Flash took a deep breath and then looked up to meet his queen's eyes. “Do you only...uh...”

“It's okay,” Twilight smiled and assured him again. “Go on.”

The stallion straightened himself and spoke with an almost rigid tone of determination. “Do you only like mares?”

Cadance tried not to fall off her seat from her unrestrained laughter.

“Where-?” Applejack blurted when Rainbow Dash took off from the ground with a sonic blast of speed just below the level of a Sonic Rainboom. “We don't need any more darned drama!”

Rainbow was ditching her time-wasting with AJ so she could tell off that guard straight in his face. How dare he come out of nowhere like that and make a pass at Twilight. Especially by interrupting the queen's limited time with her non-hive family! Even as Twilight tried to calm her down, Rainbow Dash kept flying back into the city at high speed.

It was frustrating for Twilight because her attempts to directly influence Rainbow over the hivemind were not working the way she wanted them to. She supposed, however, that it might be for the best if she didn't pursue ways to forcefully direct the emotions of others. Thus, she let Rainbow have her moment when she arrived. The pegasus hadn't even finished landing before she let into Flash Sentry.

“You've got some nerve!” Rainbow shouted angrily at the stallion. Water droplets sprayed out from her wings because she had flown beneath a few rainclouds on the way over.

Flash was quiet, but that was likely due to his shock at the blue mare's sudden and near supersonic arrival.

“You're a guard for Celestia's sake! What kind of pig-headed jerk goes making rude-” The blue mare was so impassioned that she came up short on words.

Shining Armor and Cadance didn't say anything, opting to remain observers rather than unwelcome third parties. It was a very uncomfortable situation even though Cadance had thought it much more light-hearted a moment ago.

Twilight decided that remark sufficient enough for Rainbow Dash to vent. “Alright, Dashie. That's enough. I need to speak with both you and Flash privately. Flash first.”

“What?!” Rainbow zipped over to Twilight with a burst of speed from her wings. Her mouth was open. “You're not speaking to this creep all by yourself! He-”

The queen didn't let the rainbow-maned mare go on, though she whispered the rest so as to avoid making the others more uncomfortable than they already were. “Zip it, Rainbow. I'm sick of not making progress because of all these accidents and distractions. You're only making it worse by being illogical and unreasonable.”

Rainbow replied by making some throaty sounds not quite qualifying as complete words. The hivemind betrayed her annoyance at Twilight's response. Therefore, the queen lit her horn with a powerful purple magic that crackled with green electricity. It shot out at Rainbow Dash, effectively teleporting her out of visible distance and adding a ball and chain to her rear legs so she couldn't simply fly back.

“Sorry,” Twilight looked over to her brother with a forced expression of happiness. “This will only take a moment.”

The royal couple nodded in understanding, but Twilight didn't wait. She proceeded to quickly teleport herself and Flash Sentry to another close location safely distant from the eyes or ears of others. Coincidentally, that happened to be the other side of the park. They found themselves standing next to a large fountain that was shaped like some cross between a pony and a seahorse. The sound of the trickling water was nice even though it had so recently rained.

When Direway asked where she had gone through the hivemind, she answered respectfully while also starting her talk with Flash. “I'm sorry about Rainbow Dash,” she began. “I'm sure you've noticed things have been hectic lately.”

The orange stallion chuckled a bit. “I kind of notice, but you don't need to apologize about anything. Rainbow Dash was right. I'm one of your guards and it's not right for me to say anything that might be taken as a...well, an implication.”

“It's more than that,” Twilight sighed and knew Rainbow could hear their conversation even now. She was too worked up to attempt blocking the hivemind's flow. “It wasn't really about what you said. There wasn't anything bad about it. Rainbow is just...”

“A short fuse?” Flash offered.

Twilight only responded to that with a wane smile. “I suppose. It's personal, though. I'd rather not go into the details. As for you, I'd like to know if you meant any implications.”

The guard widened his eyes and was at a loss for words. Eventually his nervousness lessened enough for him to make out some words. “I'm not sure if I've ever met such a direct mare before.”

“I didn't use to be,” she sighed and finally noticed that they weren't being sprinkled on by the dark clouds. She had been so invested in the situation that she had forgotten it had been lightly raining in their area. Since she had teleported them around without extended umbrellas, they would have been soaked if the weather hadn't moved on.

“What changed?” Flash tried for more casual conversation.

“The world,” Twilight looked up from the ground to Flash and then to the sky. The sun was coming back out with the blue surrounding it, but she remembered Discord's words about alternate Equestrias. “I'm starting to wonder if my life would have been easier if I hadn't saved Chrysalis.”

“You're not doubting your decision are you?”

“Why would you want to know?” she countered, not quite sure why she suddenly felt defensive.

The young guardpony didn't hesitate this time, though. “Because that was one of the reasons I fell in love with you.”

Another Twilight in another dimension might have been shocked to hear those words. This Twilight was not the same, however. She had gone through Tartarus in more ways than one and had at least five individuals she knew that openly had those feelings for her. Three of them she had decided to return the emotion with at the most personal level.

“Thanks,” Twilight replied almost in a whisper.

“You're not complacent with the way things are and I mean that in a good way,” he continued to praise her. “You made some hard decisions and stood up to the backlash it got you all for the sake of saving somepony. There aren't a whole lot of ponies like that in the world.”

“I can't return your feelings right now, Flash,” Twilight stopped him. Her hoof had stretched out to place upon the center point of his breastplate, which was shaped after her own cutie mark. “My world is a mess and I'm being pulled six different directions all at once. As much as I want to love you as part of my hive, I have nothing left to give right now.”

Flash's gaze faltered, but he only stuttered at first before regaining his positive tone. “T-that's okay. I understand. It's just too much...”

“Maybe after I've settled in for a month with the others,” Twilight encouraged him. She knew it was a vain hope. The future had too many variables for her to predict. Especially within the last week. “I have to speak to Rainbow now. I'll teleport you back to Direway. Wait for me to return to where my brother and Cadance are.”

Flash took a deep breath to keep his battered hopes from showing. “Yes, my queen!” he forced his enthusiasm.

Twilight's horn glowed just as it had before. Green electricity snapped around them and, a second later, both were gone. Flash was where she said he'd be and Twilight was now standing before a very torn Rainbow Dash who was facing the other direction on purpose. The mare was just as she seemed to be in the hivemind: upset, confused, and broken. Twilight knew the second Rainbow darted over to them what was going on.

“Dashie,” Twilight changed her tone and approach to a soft one. She stepped across the damp park grass that Rainbow had been teleported onto. “I'm sorry for putting you aside like this, but I needed just a second to talk to Flash Sentry. He has fee-”

“I know! I can hear everything, remember!” Rainbow shouted, though her face was turned from Twilight and her voice betrayed her uncertainty. “I'm sorry about butting in with the guard, okay? I don't know what got into me. I just...I just...”

Twilight embraced her Element of Loyalty from behind, simultaneously disintegrating the ball and chain attached to Rainbow's rear legs. “You feel lost.”

The blue pegasus didn't respond, but her body slumped back against her queen's.

Twilight rested her head on Rainbow's shoulder, nuzzling the other mare in the process. “Dashie,” she intentionally coddled her. “I'll always be here for you. You know that, so why do you feel so insecure?”

“Just use your powers to probe my mind,” Rainbow pouted but didn't shrug off the other mare.

Twilight withheld a grumpy comeback, instead opting to continue her gentle support. She slowly started rocking the mare from left to right, as if some nonexistent tune was playing in the background. “I don't want to do that. I want to hear your voice in the real world, not just some shared mind. I want you to speak to me.”

“Why?” Rainbow bit her lip. This conversation had happened before and she heard the answer before Twilight actually said it.

“Because I love you,” the queen smiled. She loosened her embrace just enough to turn Rainbow Dash around and kiss her on the cheek. “That's what this is about. Not Flash Sentry. This is about you wanting me to return your feelings and not feeling secure about our relationship.”

“Way to ruin the moment with your egghead talk,” Rainbow rolled her eyes but chuckled when she got a giggle out of Twilight. “You like psychology now?”

“Only yours,” Twilight returned.

“And Fluttershy. And Chrysalis,” Rainbow added with a lop-sided look.

“Do you not like them, Dashie?”

“Flutters or Chrysy?” the pegasus smiled and then frowned purposefully. “I don't mind sharing you with the former, but I cringe at the latter.”

Twilight couldn't help but remark on her friend's choice of words. “At least you're improving your vocabulary.”

“It's hard not to with you in my head,” Rainbow came back with a small grin.

The uncomfortable moment had finally passed and Twilight was at ease once more, which also lessened the emotional tension in her hive. She took a few tiny seconds to relish the feeling of Rainbow Dash in her hooves. The smell of fresh rain did her justice rather than disservice and there was also the faint scent of pine in her mane, likely from her run outside the city walls.

Rainbow Dash didn't complain when her queen kept holding her, but she certainly felt like doing so when she pulled back and left again for Shining Armor and Cadance. She didn't want to, but the multicolored mare left her special somepony to her family. Hopefully, Applejack would keep from saying anything about the episode.

Twilight got back to the table area, where she and the rulers of the Crystal Empire could talk again. The mood had been hurt, but they got it back when Cadance managed to crack another joke about Twilight's foalhood. She was good at it for some reason. Likely because she had once been a foalsitter.

PreviousChapters Next