• Published 6th Aug 2013
  • 20,662 Views, 1,217 Comments

Hive Alive - BlackWater



Twilight saved Chrysalis from a bitter end, thus changing her own fate and that of the Elements of Harmony. As she learns the power of redemption, Twilight gains power never before recorded in history. Equestria itself will never be the same.

  • ...
65
 1,217
 20,662

PreviousChapters Next
32 - Parenthood is Complicated



The world came into being around her. The soft green grass beneath her hooves, the pale blue sky above, and the old willow tree were all as before. She controlled this world completely and nothing could go wrong in it. She was the queen.

A gentle breeze started, the sound of a trickling stream beside the willow reached her ears, and the sunlight came down warm enough for comfort. The blades of grass crunched beneath her purple hooves again. She didn't think to materialize the crown or horseshoes upon herself since she wasn't obsessed with such things as Rarity was.

Twilight breathed in deeply. She was calm. There was a knocking within her hivemind that let her know that Chrysalis was manipulating the ring cord to materialize her connections. With a former changeling queen in control of the magic, Twilight knew there wouldn't be any problems with it. She trusted Chrysalis, obviously.

One. Rainbow Dash blinked into existence beneath the willow. She made some remark about how it was a much better entrance than last time.

Two. Pinkie Pie materialized by dropping out of the willow's branches. She landed on Rainbow's back as if she weighed nothing and then cleanly bounced off. A shrill shriek of joy shot out of her mouth.

Three. Midnight Strike popped out of thin air on the other side of the tiny stream. He saluted and settled down onto the grass.

Four. Direway joined in right beside Midnight. He poked his fellow guard playfully and settled down beside him.

Five. Chrysalis herself fluttered down from above with her buzzy transparent wings. She landed in front of Twilight and returned her queen's warm smile.

“Ready?” Twilight asked her.

“For your every wish,” Chrysalis responded, perhaps a bit too happily.

The alicorn rolled her eyes and walked around her changeling, wrapping a forehoof around her neck and guiding her alongside in the process.

“Twi!” Rainbow enthused as she bolted up to her queen.

Twilight stopped and used her other forehoof to return the pony's embrace. “What is it?”

“Just wanted a hug,” the Element of Loyalty replied but didn't move back. “It's like getting double-time since I'm with you in real life too.”

Chrysalis squinted at her and hugged Twilight from the other side in retaliation.

“Alright,” the queen giggled. “I-”

“Triple Hugboom!” Pinkie cried as she grabbed all three of them. She managed to lift them off the ground in a group hug that was only possible via Pinkie Physics. She squeezed them until their eyes nearly bulged and then let them back down. “Okay! What's next?” she bounced in place.

“Pinkie,” Twilight shook her head but couldn't lose her smile. “Could you play elsewhere for now? I know it's asking a lot. You too, Dashie. I need to focus on new connections.”

The mares were obedient, though Pinkie Pie looked ready to explode out of excitement.

Twilight went to lay beneath the great tree, relishing in the shade and the fact that it was actually shade that she herself had created as master of the hivemind. Chrysalis laid face-to-face in front of her and then shifted over a bit so that another pony could lay in that spot.

“You reading my mind?” Twilight asked her changeling.

“I'm already in it,” Chrysalis stuck her tongue out.

“I want to banter too!” Pinkie complained from the other side of the tree.

“Pinkie...” Rainbow groaned.

Twilight focused her thoughts on Chrysalis and then on her hivemind from a bird's eye perspective. “Allow Rarity in,” she commanded. “Gently.”

Chrysalis' eyes seemed to fade for a second. A white and purple orb materialized straight in front of Twilight before morphing this way and that. It eventually resolved into the unicorn mare they all knew. Said mare slowly opened her eyes, blinked, and then blinked again. She was laying casually upon the plush greenery.

“Oh my,” she spoke almost in a whisper. “Is this a dream or...”

“Hiya Rares!” Pinkie saluted and tried very hard not to bounce up from her spot. She was leaning from around the other side of the tree trunk.

“Yo,” was all Rainbow said from beside the Earth pony.

“This is not a dream,” Twilight calmly began to explain to her friend. “Welcome to my hivemind.”

Rarity looked to one side and then the other. Finally, she tossed her mane with a forehoof. “It looks somewhat familiar.”

“I based it off one of Fluttershy's favorite spots,” the queen returned in good cheer. “It may be a little different, but I've been trying to make it as real as possible. It's actually quite fun because I get to apply everything I know about physics, atmosphere, flora-”

“I see,” Rarity cut her off as politely as possible. She knew that rising pitch Twilight got when she started getting overenthusiastic about her book smarts. “I will admit it is not precisely what I had envisioned.”

“Oh?” Twilight's spirit dropped a bit.

“It is far less terrible than I worried. It is rather nice, in fact,” the Element of Generosity admitted. “And it does make sense for it to be such a calm, quaint little retreat. This is supposed to be a place of rest, as I understand it. I would prefer less nature,” she flinched at the word, “but...well, one can not really get dirty in a hivemind, I assume.”

“I could always factor that in-”

“Banish the thought!” Rarity cut off Twilight again. “My apologies,” she calmed herself. “Just...there is no need.”

“Ready to connect, Rarity?” Twilight eased back into her calm smile and got them back on track.

“I thought I already had.”

“Not until I touch you,” the queen declared.

The white mare hesitated and then voiced her question. “I see Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, and Chrysalis. Where is Spike?”

“He's joining after you.”

Rarity's face contorted to relief, then worry, then confusion. “I...I suppose that would be best. A lady must be prepared, after all.”

Twilight crawled closer. “Just relax, Rarity,” she encouraged. “I know Spike even if I haven't connected with him yet. I raised him. He may be a strong brave gentledragon but - trust me - he's more worried than you are.”

Rarity nodded slightly with her lips tight together.

“Thank you,” the queen said more softly.

“For what, darling?”

Twilight closed her eyes and took a deep breath. “For giving Spike a chance. I know that I sometimes rant about all his idiosyncrasies, but that's only because he's so close to me. He's always been with me and I couldn't...”

Rarity noticed Twilight's voice and expression waver with emotion. Without any particular thought put into it, Rarity reached forward to encourage her friend with a nuzzle. The contact was made and the connection began whether or not either party was prepared.

Life flashed before Rarity so fast that she had trouble comprehending it all. It wasn't just her own life. It was Twilight's. It was Rainbow Dash's. It was Pinkie Pie's. Even the two guards had their moments run through her. She felt pain within her mind and then felt it dissipate as her mind seemed to expand and no longer center around her. Where she used to feel like a single seamstress in charge of the entire creation of a work of art, she now felt like a full production team. She saw things from a half dozen points of view and understood concepts she never even knew existed.

She was horrified at pain. Not her own, but rather that of others. She felt pain from Rainbow's past – a past she never imagined could have happened. There was also pricks of hurt from the others, especially Fluttershy's past. She saw that only dimly through Twilight's mind rather than from the mare herself. But happiness combated the horrors. Relief came in such waves that Rarity worried her makeup might start to run from the water in her eyes. Then Twilight's logic assured her that couldn't happen in the hivemind space. Rarity realized that, indeed, Twilight's logic was with her just as Pinkie's special understanding of physics was. Everything was a mess in her mind and then crystal clear the next second.

She squealed with delight in that special way that only she and her little sister ever did. There was the feeling of a thousand lines of inspiration hitting her from all of the joined memories. It came with ideas for apparel designs so glorious that the best designers in the history of ponykind would be jealous. And not just ponies. Even attire for other races was easy game.

Then Twilight's magical repertoire hit her. Being a unicorn, Rarity had a far easier time understanding it than the others. Literally thousands of spells charged around her, making her feel invincible. Was this how Twilight felt with all of her magical knowledge and ability? She felt through the hivemind that the queen was far too humble about her capabilities. And yet the power...

“Oh goodness me,” Rarity finally snapped out of the rush. She leaned back from Twilight and realized she was still laying on the grass in front of her friend. “What happened? Oh, I see. No. Oh, dear. Stop doing that!”

“Sorry,” Twilight giggled. “But this is what we can do now. When we're connected, we can think and speak to each other without words or actions. It can be a little disorienting at first, so I've tried limiting it to keep it from being too much at once. I could, for example, do what I was doing with you a second ago and explain without actually saying anything. But I agree that it can be a bit of a rush.”

“Much like hitting fourteen clouds after a double turn, Rainbow Dash?” Rarity called over to the multi-colored mare.

Rainbow shook her head. “Well, now you get me.”

“Just because I 'get' you does not mean I want to be you,” the unicorn clarified.

“Hey,” Rainbow grouched.

“So you're alright?” Twilight asked to keep any argument from progressing.

Rarity got up from her spot and stretched her legs. There was little sense of pain or relief, which reminded her that this was only her body in the hivemind. It wasn't entirely real. “Oh, you know quite well I am, dear.”

“I'll admit your sense of fashion sometimes eluded me, but now...” the queen trailed.

“Perfect,” Rarity smiled in her lady-like manner. “I have been waiting ages for you to pick up on the finer points.”

Twilight shrugged and then took Rarity's previous words. “Just because I understand doesn't mean-”

“That's my Twi,” Rainbow agreed prematurely.

Rarity facehoofed. “You could all at least pretend to care about how you look.”

“It's what's inside that counts,” Rainbow added as she came closer to Twilight and wrapped a forehoof around her, as if expecting the queen to back her up.

Rarity took the more reasonable route and looked up to the sky visible through the willow's branches. “When one has already refined the inside, it is only natural to begin refining the outside,” she remarked. “You are right that the inside in more important, but that fact is no excuse to be lazy about the outside.”

Rainbow said nothing. She looked to Twilight for help.

The purple alicorn passed her a curious look. “Hm,” she hummed.

“What?” Rainbow felt anxious all of a sudden.

“You did look nice in that Gala dress, Dashie...” Twilight complimented.

The pegasus blushed in her silence as her hoof slipped from her purple friend.

“That is the spirit,” Rarity encouraged. “Dresses are not your enemy, Rainbow Dash. You do want to be your best for Twilight do you not?”

That gave Rainbow the out she needed to keep from melting on the spot. “Hey,” she rebutted the white unicorn. “That's personal.”

“I believe Twilight is the queen here,” Rarity took on an almost smug look. It was masked behind her lady's etiquette. “She has shared everything through her hivemind, which I am now in. There is no need for hostility. I assure you that you have my full support in these feelings of yours.”

“Uh, well, yeah! So there!” Rainbow hammered the point back as if she were arguing against Rarity and had just won. Even if she was glad her friend supported her, she didn't want it to look like she had been robbed of her power in the conversation.

“I'm worried about a certain somepony, however,” Rarity looked back down to Twilight.

“I am too,” the Element of Magic sighed. “It's possible Fluttershy could have experienced a lesser form of what I did when I was unable to connect to others during sleep. And, besides that, I'm just worried she may be lonely.”

“AJ is still with her in Ponyville,” Pinkie Pie commented while rolling across the grass on her back. She was also pawing at something invisible in the air with her forehooves. “Applejackie wouldn't ignore her if something really bad put her down.”

Twilight felt a little better but wished Fluttershy was with them all the same. “Agreed. I'd still like to be back in Ponyville, though.”

“Yeah,” Rainbow agreed. “Ponyville clouds just can't be replaced by any others...”

“Would you like to proceed, my queen?” Chrysalis whispered to Twilight.

The alicorn gathered herself. Spike was next and, though she already knew him so well, there were aspects to his species that remained in the dark to her. She may have raised him, but she had no idea the full extent of a magic dragon's abilities and hoped the connection would be without incident. She only considered doing it now because she had enough confidence to believe that nothing would, in fact, go wrong.

“Yes,” she answered, her expression taut. “Carefully.”

Chrysalis nodded, leaned back, and closed her eyes completely. The changeling was masking her inner thoughts, keeping them from reaching her queen through the hivemind. This connection was not something she wanted to do, though admittedly she still preferred this to fully connecting herself. She knew Twilight had decided she could handle this and she would die before fighting her queen over it...but still. Spike was only limited with his knowledge of magic when it came to the real world. No dragon had ever been in a hivemind to her knowledge and their immense power within the dreamworld could lead to terrifying consequences.

Twilight flinched. Something had stung in her hivemind. The stream stopped flowing and froze as if it were a photo. The willow's branches did the same, no longer moving with the breeze. The air went still. The other occupants in the hivemind noticed.

“What's wrong?” Rarity asked, just a little worried.

“Chrysalis?” Twilight asked back to her changeling, who was wincing.

There was a second in which she said nothing. It made Twilight begin to doubt her decision. But then the moment passed.

“My apologies,” Chrysalis opened her eyes and soothed her queen. “He's overdone it on the mental preparation. He won't settle on a single physical representation. I'm going to have to force him into a single state.”

“Spike?” both Twilight and Rarity spoke at the same time.

“His worry over this connection made him go overboard and his dreamscape is battling my control,” Chrysalis momentarily closed one eye again in a flinch. “I'll try to put him in a stable body.”

Rainbow made a sarcastic laugh. “I wonder who could have given him that worrywart complex,” she poked her queen playfully.

Twilight rolled her eyes. Before she could say anything else, it happened. Spike came hurtling in as a fireball. Unlike Rarity, who had appeared gently, Spike made the most ungraceful of entrances. The great green flameball shot down onto the green hill on the other side of the stream, making both guards leap out of the way. Dirt flew in every direction, which forced Rarity to shriek in reactionary horror.

The hivemind's queen could now understand what Chrysalis had been saying. She felt the unruly tug in her mind as Spike wrestled with his appearance. The smoke, dirt, and fire of the crash faded out to reveal a dragon five or more times as large as the small version they were so familiar with. His body had grown out in length more than width. His spines had mostly grown in proportion except for a few on his back, which pointed further out. They lead up to one especially large spine complete with a jagged edge.

“Rarity!” he exclaimed in a tone of embarrassment and shied away, trying in vain to somehow prevent himself from being seen.

Rarity and Twilight both raised their brows in shock. Chrysalis frowned, but only because she had such difficulty in getting him to show up in the first place. Rainbow Dash made some remark along the lines of “not too bad” while Pinkie Pie mimed out what could have been “got a snazzy new look.” None present were able to comprehend the mime. The guards just sighed and settled back onto the grass since there was obviously no problem to combat.

“Spike,” Twilight finally decided on beginning. “You...look older.”

“Y-you weren't supposed to see me like this...” he hung his head with a blush and some measure of shame. His voice was a tad deeper, but not as much as it had been during the sudden growth incident in Ponyville. In fact, he looked remarkably different now than he had back then in his teen form. His body was not so oddly proportioned. This one was sleek without being thin, as if built for a balance of strength and speed. He still stood on his two legs, but it didn't appear too far fetched for him to be able to launch into a run on both his arms and legs like a fully grown dragon.

“Spikey,” Rarity approached him. “Why not?”

A puff of smoke came out of his mouth, which was the moment all environmental aspects of the hivemind space resumed from their previous freeze. Twilight sighed in relief that she got everything working again, but Spike's presence was still putting a bit of strain on her control of it. Something about him was creating distortions in her self-constructed world.

“I'm hideous,” Spike mumbled as he sat down on the ground in defeat. “Nobody likes me like this.”

Twilight knew it was time to stand up. As she did so, she heard Rarity already responding while Rainbow and Pinkie joined her in approaching the mid-size dragon.

“Don't you dare say that,” Rarity argued firmly. She sat down in front of him and lifted his head to look him in the eyes. “You are not hideous. You are a very handsome young dragon.”

“You're totally cool,” Rainbow Dash added as she flew over and landed nearby.

“Best dragon ever!” Pinkie Pie shouted loudly.

“I knew you'd all say that,” Spike nearly cried. “But it's just words. You don't really feel that way.”

Twilight came up right beside Rarity and sat down. She met his eyes straight on. “I wonder if this is why you've stayed the same little dragon you always have been.”

“Huh?” he frowned but didn't lose his sad mood.

Rarity picked up on her new queen's thread of thought. “You have sequestered yourself in your old body because you will not let yourself believe that you could be tres bien any other way.”

“That was bad,” Rainbow called out, finally picking up on Rarity's terminology because of their mental link. Rarity ignored her.

“Would this be the way you would look if you let yourself be?” the Element of Generosity asked him in a soothing voice.

In that moment, Spike's vision narrowed onto Rarity. “I...I...”

“Ooooh,” droned Pinkie Pie, suddenly behind the slightly-larger-than-pony sized dragon. “Spikey is spiky!”

A poke to the large sharp-tipped spine on his back sent a chill up Spike's body. “Careful,” he warned the pink Earth pony. “It's sharp.”

“Oh, silly,” Pinkie countered. “We're in Twily's brain. I can't get hurt.”

Twilight blushed. “I don't think it's possible to get hurt here, but I certainly will try to keep everyone safe.”

“Spike,” Rarity grabbed the dragon's face with her forehooves and turned it to look back at her. “If this is the 'you' that you want to be then you should not hold back. It does not matter what others think of you, though I should let you know...I think you are ravishing.”

“R-ravishing?” Spike turned red in the face.

Chrysalis nudged her queen and whispered to her. “Rarity is having some kind of effect on him. I can't handle his presence much longer. You have to fully connect before I lose him.”

Twilight nodded and put a hoof on Rarity's shoulder. The unicorn let go of Spike and turned a concerned gaze to Twilight.

“We all support you, Spike,” the queen told the dragon. “I'll show you.”

And with that, Twilight reached out and put her forehoof on Spike's chest right where his heart laid. She was expecting, at most, a flash of light as had been the case with the others. Her mind would race with his, nothing particularly surprising to her being revealed. She thought she knew how the connection would play out. It couldn't be that different than Rarity's connection, could it?

The moment she touched him, the hivemind world around them froze again. The colors began to warp and everything seemed to bend out of shape. A brilliant and massive green flame erupted from Spike's chest and engulfed Twilight, who would have screamed if she had the time. All the others in her hivemind went silent, as if she were cut off from them. The world disappeared, leaving only the brilliant flames.

Those flames weren't hot. She was confused. The fire was neither hot nor cold. It was a steady warmth – the kind one would have after snuggling beneath one's bed sheets for a few minutes. She could no longer see anything around her but the green fire, as if the space beyond was an empty void. At first, she began to remember the horrifying moment that Chrysalis had sent her down to the Canterlot Caverns. But then she heard Spike's voice.

“Twi....light?” he asked, sounding scared. It was as if he were on the verge of tears.

“I'm right here, Spike,” Twilight quickly answered him. “What's going on? What's wrong?”

Silence. The flames continued flickering around her with their stable warmth. Then there was the sound of crying. Faint.

“Spike...?” Twilight asked in worry.

“I'm scared,” he sniffled out.

Twilight turned in place, looking but failing to see anything but the green fire. “Of what? Where are you Spike?”

“I'm afraid of change,” he cried. “I'm afraid everypony will hate me because I'm different. If I stay in the same body, everything will be okay.”

The purple alicorn eased into her parental mode she used to play all the time on a much younger Spike. “No,” she tapped a forehoof beneath her. “Didn't Rarity just tell you that she liked your new look? Remember what Celestia said. You're growing up, Spike. We all grow up. I didn't use to have wings, you know.”

“I'll never have wings,” the dragon said, his voice coming from everywhere around Twilight. His tone was one of defeat.

“Why does that matter? You will eventually be able to teleport around like me, not to mention you could probably cast a temporary wing spell anyways. Change is not bad, Spike. It's just a part of life. Be proud of the body you have."

Silence.

"Maybe the real reason you're so afraid is because you're not willing to let go of the past.”

“What if I do something bad?” he sniffled and the flames flickered before continuing their steady wave. “What if I lose control? What if I fail...like all the times I've failed before...”

Twilight's patience wore out. “You have never failed me, Spike. You've always come though, fixing any of the mistakes you did make. I want you to move on. I...”

The queen hesitated before clearing her thoughts.

“...I want my son to grow up. I want him to be the kind of dragon that will make me even more proud than I already am to be his mother.”

The flames instantly wisped away. What was left was the blank blackness that Twilight saw when she first began her hivemind. She still had her body, however, and there was a purple and green dragon standing on his two feet right in front of her. It was Spike as he was moments before the flames had overtaken her. He was looking down on her because, when standing, he was about half again as tall as she was. Tears were in his eyes.

M-mom?” he croaked out in his slightly older voice.

Twilight looked up and met his gaze. “I tried not to think of it before because I wouldn't let myself believe I was responsible enough to be a parent. But you've always been my child, Spike. I'll always love you no matter what because, regardless of what you do, I'll never stop caring about you.”

The dragon's two green eyes watered as he knelt down and embraced the mare. He said nothing for a long while, but just stayed there hugging her. Twilight could feel her coat dampen from his tears, but she embraced him in return. Careful not to touch the sharp edge of his large spine, she rubbed his back to sooth him.

“Is this what was troubling you, Spike?” she asked softly into his ear.

He eventually answered without letting her go. “My parents were taken from me and I don't think I could live without you. I don't want to be an orphan...mom...”

The word seemed to make him cry again, so she kept hugging him and rubbing his back. “You never will be,” she shushed him calmly. “I don't plan on dying for quite a while. Too many books left to read.”

That finally got the dragon to give a little laugh through his crying. “Heh, yeah.”

They stayed that way for several moments longer before parting. “Princess Luna gave me a book about your dreams,” Twilight remarked.

“Really?” Spike replied while wiping his face with his forearms.

“Yeah, but I think I prefer being a parent more than snooping through dreams. Not that I won't still nose through the book.”

Spike snorted smoke but smiled.

“Now,” the queen looked around her at the black emptiness. It really was a nothing space. She and Spike were standing, but there was no floor. Just darkness. “I've got to fix this.”

“What happened?”

You happened,” Twilight giggled. “Chrysalis was right. Your presence in my hivemind is strong. You kind of messed it up.”

“I'm sorry,” he drooped.

“Don't be,” she looked back to him and lifted his spirits. “I wouldn't have it any other way.”

“Is that light?” the large reptilian inquired as to the point of light that suddenly appeared in the dark.

Twilight breathed deep and concentrated. “I'm working on it.”

“What about the others? I don't feel anything in my mind – your mind. This is weird.”

“I suspect that's because their connections were temporarily muted or frozen,” Twilight explained and made the small light blow up so that it was all around them. The world began to build again. The grassy meadow came back along with the willow.

“How?” Spike moved around in place, a bit disturbed at the fast creation around him.

The queen stopped, took another deep breath, and resumed. “Chrysalis,” she stated just as the changeling popped into existence before them.

“Ugh,” the large changeling buzzed in agitation. Her body quivered for a second. “That left a bad taste in my mouth. I had to force close all the connections so the others wouldn't get hurt.”

“I thought so,” Twilight smiled at her changeling. “Thank you, Chrysy.”

“Anything, my queen,” Chrysalis nodded and then looked to Spike. “Don't do that again.”

“He's fine,” Twilight cut back in before Spike had to defend himself. “Now the others? Spike hasn't connected to them yet.”

The black pseudo-pony stepped up to Twilight and tapped her purple horn. “I've put the rest of the hivemind management in your head. You'll have to be the one to connect them because all this work has drained my magic. Unless, of course, you would supply me with love...perhaps a kiss?”

Twilight rolled her eyes and placed a simple kiss on the changeling's cheek.

“That wasn't enough,” Chrysalis whined. “How about on the lips?”

Instead of replying, Twilight materialized the other members of the hivemind into the mental world one by one. Rarity was last and Twilight could visibly see the reaction on Spike's teen face when her connection bore full strength to him through the hivemind. It had been faint before through Twilight's memories but was now complete. He was nearly in tears again, only these being ones of joy.

Chrysalis sighed in defeat and resigned herself to stand beside her queen. Pinkie Pie rushed to Spike and hugged him extra tight. She went on and on about something, but Twilight was too busy with Rainbow Dash to hear it.

“You okay? Nothing hurt, right?” Rainbow kept on as she hugged her queen and checked her over again and again. “That was totally not okay. Don't do that again. You just vanished and everything!”

“It's okay, Dashie. Really. And, no, I'll try not to have that happen again,” Twilight reassured her friend. Another buzz made the queen look to Chrysalis.

“A dragon in a hivemind,” Chrysalis hummed. “You see what's going through his mind, don't you? He's grasping everything you and your friends know, including your advanced magic.”

“Told you I could do it,” Twilight grinned.

PreviousChapters Next