• Published 6th Aug 2013
  • 20,642 Views, 1,217 Comments

Hive Alive - BlackWater



Twilight saved Chrysalis from a bitter end, thus changing her own fate and that of the Elements of Harmony. As she learns the power of redemption, Twilight gains power never before recorded in history. Equestria itself will never be the same.

  • ...
65
 1,217
 20,642

PreviousChapters Next
43 - Power is Tempting



Days passed by. Just enough time elapsed for a few of Twilight's friends to settle into old routines. Not for her, though. She took time resting with Chrysalis and the others, but she also spent time working. The schedule and details for Celestia's planned announcement of ascension were serious and complex to say the least.

It was during one day of exhaustive plan-making for the plan-making that Twilight decided to take a break and read a very special book. The Tree of Harmony had seen them on multiple occasions since their first visit and, though it had talked openly with her for hours, she felt as if she knew little more than she had in the beginning. Therefore, Twilight decided to take a break and handle something she knew that she could.

Spike's black dream book.

Luna had made it as a very special journal of her observations. Celestia apparently had interest in the dragon's dreamscape as well because Twilight found annotations throughout the book made by the elder sister. Though they might or might not have recognized it themselves, both of the sisters had different and unique quill styles. Celestia's was straight, bold, and regal. Luna's was more relaxed, but detailed with ancient decorations on each letter.

The pony queen took a deep breath of air and settled onto the center of her sleep ring's cushion. The room's window was made transparent so that she could read by natural light. Judging from the sun's position, it was hardly noon. She had all day.

None were immediately present in the room with her, but she felt the urge to dictate aloud. Too much talking through the voiceless hivemind had given her an unusual craving for spoken sounds. “A Dragon's Dreams,” Twilight read the opening page. “A journal of observations by Princess Luna, second heir to the world afar. Huh?”

How strange, Rarity commented over their hivemind. She had heard everything across Ponyville via their shared mind.

The princesses have many years of their past that they don't share with me, Twilight frowned. She shook her head, cleared her thoughts, and continued to the next page. “Night 1: ice cream and Rarity. End.”

Twilight giggled to herself and felt Spike's embarrassment blossom from where he was helping Fluttershy with her animals just outside of Ponyville.

“Night 2: Rarity. Also ice cream. End. Hmm, I think I'm seeing a pattern here,” Twilight hummed to herself and scanned further into the book. “Ah, here we go. Night 428: Spike offers Rarity ownership of his hoard. First record of dramatic shift in the dragon's hoarding characteristics. Spike's internal flame experienced a cooling effect followed by rapid temperature rise. May indicate his magic is starting to grow. The hoarding has refocused on Rarity as the only treasure. His subconscious recognizes her as a unique gem.”

Twilight's eyes moved to the side of the page where Celestia's annotation was followed by a doodle of a heart. “A mate, not a gem. Surrendering the hoard is a part of a magic dragon's natural courting ritual.”

Can't you read that some other time? Spike mumbled to his mother's mind.

“I have to read it eventually,” Twilight couldn't keep the sly grin from her face.

Do you have to read it aloud? the dragon insisted.

“Nopony is in the library – let alone my bedroom. You're the only one hearing it.”

And everyone in the hivemind, Spike grouchily added.

Rarity took the moment to voice in. She barely averted her attention from sewing a dress at her boutique. Well, I for one find it flattering. You have nothing to be embarrassed about, darling. Why, if it makes you feel better, I would not hesitate to give up my boutique for you.

A pause ensued before the dragon responded with a teary “really?”

Twilight let the two carry on their conversation while she proceeded with the book. “Night 455: Nonsense. Too much sugar before bed.”

The queen laughed again to herself. This was turning out to be more entertainment than information.

“Night 459: Another dream saving Rarity. In this one, he has given his life for her. The intensity of his dreams correlate directly with the strength of his heart's flame. My magic reveals a raw power nearly as strong as that student of yours.”

It was clear at this point that Luna had seen her sister's earlier annotations. Celestia must have been following along since the start of the journal. Referring to Twilight as “that student” meant the entry had been made before Luna had warmed up to her. The next was another of Celestia's annotations.

“Twilight Sparkle is no mere student.”

That was all that was written at the side. Twilight's lip turned in uncertainty. The writing was vague, so she turned more pages only to find little clarity. As for Spike, the later entries were of great help. The nuances of Spike's magic started to become clear. Interestingly, it seemed that Spike was fully capable of any unicorn-type magic if he could control his raw power.

He had matured fast. Though his body was similar to a teen's, his abilities were nearly that of an adult. All he needed to do to unlock that power was...

“Experience an extremely dangerous situation in which his most precious possessions are in danger of destruction,” Twilight read the hoofnote near the end of the book. “This will cause a change in respiratory rhythm and force out the flame kindling near his heart. This cannot be replicated through other means. The rush of power will then...wait. Extremely dangerous?”

Chrysalis, currently making a sandwich down in the first-floor kitchen, decided to add her two bits. The possession is Rarity and, by proxy, his surrogate mother, she buzzed. The danger would probably have to be life-threatening if I were to judge by the context of the book. Luna is such a glum alicorn.

She's a very nice pony, Twilight's hive voice retorted.

“Yeah, but you're better,” Rainbow Dash said as she entered Twilight's bedroom. She had to use the door now since the window was technically sealed.

“Quick as always,” Twilight cheerfully greeted the mare. She knew Rainbow had finished weather work early and had no desire to spend her free time apart from her special mare. “I'm afraid I don't have anything to amuse you with, Dashie. You sure you want to hang out with me?”

The pegasus had no hesitation in her voice or stride. She laid down next to her queen and brushed her wing feathers against Twilight's in an affectionate display. “You're all I need for amusement, queeny,” the multicolored pony giggled in her somewhat squeaky-like manner.

“Well then,” Twilight blushed and quickly averted her eyes back to the book. “There's nothing more for me to gleam from this. I can push Spike in the right direction but it's ultimately up to him how far he wants to go.”

“What about our Hive Power?” Chrysalis prodded as she too entered the room. A daisy sandwich was floating in a green aura beside her head.

“What about it?” Twilight asked before she caught the meaning. “It goes as far as it does. There are no recorded instances of such a power in history, so there's no data for me to generate conclusions from. I've started writing down experiences,” she emphasized her point by levitating Spike's book out of the ring and bringing a different one in.

The new book was of a royal purple and blue. The cover read “Hives of Harmony by Twilight Sparkle.” Rainbow gave a “heh” of disinterest before repositioning herself on the ring's soft pad. Specifically, she moved so that she laid crossway over Twilight's back.

“If you're not going to humor me then at least refrain from using me as your personal pillow,” Twilight grouched with deadpan brows.

“No can do, Twi,” Rainbow chuckled this time. “I've got to take advantage of the real estate while I can. There aren't any good spots when the rest of the gang is here.”

Chrysalis gave her queen the sandwich and laid before her. “Ignore the ignorant one, my queen. I am listening.”

Twilight hungrily bit into the sandwich and leafed through her own book that was now before her. “I've written down our discoveries so far,” she mouthed past her chewing. “The mingling of our special abilities and the infinite potential of our magical boosting.”

“What of that little magic the disjointed one gave you?” Chrysalis prompted. Her expression was even, though her gaze was soft because Twilight was within her sight.

“Discord?” Rainbow interrupted from her lazy spot on the alicorn's back. “Probably just a gimmick. He's too loopy to give us any serious powers.”

Twilight closed her eyes in her signature I-know-more-than-you manner. She titled her body, which successfully deposited Rainbow Dash off of her. The mare rolled onto her back across the ring's soft pad.

“Hey,” Rainbow grouched.

“He's not quite that loopy,” Twilight lectured. “I thought our shared memories would have clued you in.”

“Yeah,” the blue mare countered quickly. “Hence, loopy. You want to see real power?”

Without waiting for approval from her audience, Rainbow flapped up above them and then beat her wings in a frenzy. Miniature dark clouds began to form out of thin air and swirl around her, snapping with tendrils of small green lightning. A faint mist of rain-like water began to spray from the black puffs. A wicked smile plastered the face of the pegasus as her chest swelled with pride at demonstrating before her special pony.

“Behold,” Rainbow declared with inflated ego, “Princess Rainbow Dash, Goddess of Storms!”

It all ended abruptly as Twilight's magical glow enveloped the mare, cut her magic display short, and plummeted her back down to the ring's pad.

“Ooph,” the self-proclaimed goddess grunted as her body hit the padding. Thankfully, Twilight had pulled her at such an angle that her head gently met her queen's soft-coated body rather than the firmer floor.

“Princess? Goddess?” Twilight half squinted and half glared down at the pegasus she now held in her hooves. “I'd say you're the one who's gone loopy. You may be able to use some magic with our Hive Power, but don't go getting ahead of yourself. If I hadn't stopped you...”

Rainbow groaned and made a point of avoiding the amused gaze of Chrysalis. “I know, I know. I would have electrocuted myself or something.”

“Knowledge is not the same as experience, and likewise is true of refining one's use of magic,” Twilight tutted with the lecture. Her eyes closed in practiced monologue. “Chrysalis may reveal to me the magic of shape-shifting and I may even be able to replicate it using my Hive Power, but I cannot pretend to be a stallion in just one-”

A pause. It was heavy even though the room was absent of sound.

“What?” Rainbow titled her head, which was still cradled in Twilight's hooves. It took only a moment more for Rainbow to understand what Twilight had stopped for. The hivemind made the implications explicit. “What?”

Twilight's normally calm smile took a saucy turn. She lowered her face so her nose was nearly touching Rainbow's. “You'd like that wouldn't you, Dashie?”

Whether the closeness or the hot breath of the words caused it, Rainbow shot away from the mare as fast as her trademark gave her credit for. Her face was so red that it was glowing.

“Oh please, my queen,” Chrysalis chuckled in her odd vibrating changeling way. “Must you conquer so easily?”

The pony queen turned her attention to her changeling, dropping the special smile in the process. “I do not conquer friends, Chrysy.”

“Only lovers?” the changeling came back with a quick wit.

Twilight closed her mouth in defeat and then opened it once more to refocus. “Perhaps we should take a break. Maybe test our powers outside?”

“Yeah!” Rainbow darted out the door with her instant agreement.

The alicorn followed much slower, all the while knowing that she had struck Rainbow in her weakest spot. Not that it was hard. She was the hive's queen, after all. Only one thing bothered her as she exited the Golden Oak Library.

She liked the sense of power and control.

Midnight Strike and Flash Sentry were on duty, effectively securing the area Twilight had chosen in the grassy hills just outside of Ponyville. Her four maids had come as well, bothered that they had been bypassed for the earlier sandwich. They fully intended to pamper their queen to the fullest extent possible, so they set up a picnic blanket and full assortment of tea and snacks for when the queen wished to rest.

“Give us a show!” Chrysalis shouted from where she lay sprawled out lazily on the picnic blanket.

“Maybe you should get off your rear,” Rainbow called back. She was hovering near Twilight and kept just enough space between them for the alicorn to do what she wished.

Twilight looked up to the bright sky. Another bright cheery day in Ponyville. The wind was barely there, which made the air a bit sticky. She would be sufficiently cooled by what she wanted to attempt today, however.

“Test One,” she exclaimed and spread her wings. A few calculated flaps lifted her a few hooves into the air. She took a deep breath and started drawing on multiple sources of magic within the connected hivemind.

The Hive Power began to manifest as a purple and green lightning storm around her horn. It then swarmed around her entire body, still brightest at the horn. Every angry snap of electricity that crackled around her pulsed with a disturbing aura. Rainbow Dash only now began to see the influence of Discord in Twilight's new magic.

“Gah!” the alicorn queen shouted out in mixed concentration and release.

A purple beam of light as wide as the pony's body shot straight up from her and pierced the clouds above. Thick green bolts circled up with it and charged the clouds. The air became heavy with raw power. Twilight's eyes glowed white, but her face kept its expression of focus and control.

Rainbow Dash dropped to her hooves as her wings closed in rare shock. The display of strength before her was overwhelming. Though her eyes were wide in awe, her heart was frightened by the limitless power she witnessed and felt through their mind.

The guards and maids were in similar surprise. Only Chrysalis was unperturbed. She watched with mild amusement, sipped a cup of tea with delicate grace, yawned, and then checked a watch she had penciled onto her hole-ridden hoof.

Twilight's focus turned to casual smugness. Her lips curled up and she began flying around the area in gentle circles. “Hahahaha,” she laughed, eyes still aglow and the beam of light waving back and forth into the heavens above. Lightning caused rolls of thunder to shake her bones, but it only swelled her with elation.

This was who she was.

Queen.

The power from all six Elements was in her control. Changeling magic coursed through her veins along with Discord's little gift. She felt the power of the draconequus bubble up from her very heart. Was this how it felt for Discord? A rush of foal-like glee accompanying the ebb and flow of chaos? The world below her looked so insignificant all of a sudden.

Many voices swirled about her innermost thoughts. They were all trying to get her attention. But why?

Twilight!

Yes, Rarity? the queen continued flying about. She increased the radius of her flight so the movement would fan out the beam of light and spin the supercharged clouds above.

Darling, the unicorn started sweet. She was still at her boutique in Ponyville, but seemed well aware of what was going on. Do not overdo it.

Twilight almost heeded those words in her mind before she noticed something else that made her censure Rarity from her foremost thoughts. It was Rainbow Dash. The pegasus mare had joined by her side, wings outstretched and flying in the rhythm of a traditional pegasus wingmate.

Rainbow's sideways look expressed her very soul and the hivemind betrayed her thoughts clearly. The Element of Loyalty was everything her name implied and more. Her fear of Twilight's raw ability was not a challenge to her trust of the pony queen. They were bound by fate and many other powers more affectionate.

“This is awesome!” the multi-colored pony shouted loud to be heard between the crashings of thunder. No bolt of lightning from Twilight dared to hit the mare. This was no reckless show of strength. Twilight's glowing eyes, wind-streaked mane, and wild grin were a matter of measure and command over her power.

The two females flew faster and faster. A mix of rainbow, purple, and green streaks lit the space behind them. Though Twilight had only begun the exercise as a test of new magic, she quickly lost herself in the theatrics and, more importantly to her, Rainbow's company.

A light red pegasus eventually dared to fly into the maelstrom of wind and energy to speak to the queen. Twilight almost failed to notice the pony but managed to curb the release of her magic enough to ensure the safety of the newcomer. The pegasus explained as politely and as calmly as she could manage that Ponyville's weather team had not scheduled a superstorm for another three hundred years.

Twilight sheepishly apologized to the terrified town thereafter.

“Did you all see that?!” Pinkie Pie jumped up and down like a filly in a candy store. It was an apt analogy given the fact that she was practically a filly that worked in a sweets store anyways. She was Pinkie Pie and nopony expected less of her.

“Clear as a prairie in the dead of winter,” Applejack agreed with a tilt of her country hat.

The entire gang was settled around a joined pair of tables at Sugar Cube Corner. An assortment of delectable pastries were scattered in plates before them, some eaten and some only tasted.

Spike seemed big for his spot, but preferred it to standing outside their circle. He shoved another heavily sprinkled donut in his mouth and had the manners for once not to talk with his mouth full. All of that time with Rarity had apparently influenced him.

“Rather unrefined, no?” Rarity almost huffed but kept her politeness.

Rainbow pounded the table with a forehoof, causing small éclairs on the center plate to bounce. “You want to say something?”

Twilight put a hoof to Rainbow's shoulder to calm her. “Please, Dashie. No need to get upset. It was silly of me.”

Indeed, the pony queen hadn't thought of the townsfolk she would frighten or the weather team she would trouble. The only reasons she had for not regretting it were the data she collected on her own abilities and the special moment she shared with Rainbow. A unique connection existed between them that only registered more after their recent co-op flight.

“Well, it wasn't silly for me!” Rainbow failed to settle down.

“Of course not, silly,” Pinkie Pie briefly stuck her tongue out in play. Her wings and horn had been put away for the day. “It was only a necessary moment of experimentation in which you reconfirmed your lov-”

Rarity plugged the pink pony's mouth with a hoof and gave Fluttershy an apologetic expression.

“It's alright,” the shy animal-lover gave Rainbow and her queen a happy smile. Both could tell it was forced and tears were hidden behind a thin veil of denial. “I don't have the kind of free time that Dashie does. I...I know it must be troublesome to...”

Twilight bit her bottom lip. Fluttershy had been the first of her friends she had connected with, but now she felt as if she was the farthest from Twilight. Was it because of this flight the queen had with Rainbow Dash? No. She knew the real reason. Fluttershy had poured out her heart and painful past to Twilight, desperate for the love she had yearned for all her life.

She wasn't there when the incident in Canterlot occurred and she had been in tatters during the brief separation from the hivemind. Then she was away tending to the animals while Twilight freely interacted with the other two individuals that loved her just as much.

Fluttershy felt like the third wheel.

Rarity made an overly obvious tilt of her head towards Fluttershy, exchanging unspoken words both with the gesture and with the hivemind. Twilight regulated their shared conscious, more capable at doing so than she had been before. Practice made perfect and she intended to be exceptionally good at it.

I will admit only this once that I can be a tad dramatic from time to time, Rarity flinched with her own admission. But this business between you and your special someponies is completely out of hoof. How long is this going to go on?

“Shy,” Twilight spoke up to prevent Fluttershy's teary loss of voice from being any more painful than it was. “Can I talk to you alone?”

The others, minus Spike and Chrysalis, all looked surprised. The dragon was focused on the next donut and the changeling was challenging him to a hoof wrestle for it. Spike cracked his claws and smirked as he accepted.

Fluttershy couldn't manage words but she obediently nodded and followed Twilight out of the sweets shop anyway. They were across town and back in Twilight's dark bedroom inside the Golden Oak Library before either actually said anything. The queen did her best to make their minds temporarily private from the rest of the hivemind just as she had done with Rarity.

“I know what it feels like for you to be away from me when Chrysy and Dashie seem to have all the time in the world,” Twilight began as they stood before the sleeping ring.

Fluttershy's head remained lowered and her lips quivered but stayed together. She didn't want to look so weak in front of her queen since all of their other friends seemed to have so much strength. Twilight was a veritable goddess at this point, which only made her feel smaller. Doubt gnawed at the shy pony's mind, bare for the queen to feel. She felt as if there would never be anything she could do that would make her feel worthy of Twilight's attention. She could never fly with Twilight the way Rainbow did or experiment with magic the way Chrysalis did.

A soft purple hoof made Fluttershy's head lift and matched her eyes to her queen's, which hovered so very closely to her own. Tears could not hide at this distance. Twilight saw the wetness around the corners just as she suspected.

“I'm beginning to understand so many things,” Twilight spoke to the mare gently, just as she knew Fluttershy needed to be spoken to. “So many powers outside of my control shape my future. Celestia, Luna, Discord, the Tree of Harmony, the Vine of Life, perhaps even destiny itself. My own worries affect everyone in my hive. They affect you. I'm sorry if I've caused you to ever experience feelings not your own.”

Fluttershy was about to deny any such thing, but Twilight quickly continued.

“I do things with Dashie because I love her just as I love the rest of my hive,” Twilight took a deep breath. “But I also have a few special ponies that I love even more. I'll do anything for them. If it means putting everything else on hold for them, I'll do it.”

“You've never done that for Chrysalis, though,” Fluttershy spoke through her indecisive shyness.

“Because she's so relaxed about everything these days,” Twilight giggled. It helped lighten the mood. “You know how she is when she has everything she needs. I brush her mane in the morning, cuddle with her in the afternoon, kiss her goodnight, and she's as content as a kitten on a warm back. So tell me, Shy. Tell me what will put both our hearts at ease about this.”

“You already know,” the butter yellow pegasus rubbed one hoof against the other in timidity.

“We've talked in circles about this, yes,” Twilight fought to keep the frustration from her voice and mind. Her pegasus needed gentleness, so she avoided blowing a fuse over the fact that Fluttershy was just as stubbornly timid about their relationship as she was. “Actually, what I want to know is what you'd like to do with me on a daily basis. I've been doing flying lessons with Dashie. Maybe we could do something like that...?”

Fluttershy looked down at her hooves, which she rubbed together. “But you have so much you're doing already and, besides, I don't have anything exciting we could do together. Not like Dashie does.”

Twilight got closer so that the pegasus was forced to meet her queen's eyes. “But I'm not trying to do Dashie stuff. I'm asking to do things with you.”

The Element of Kindness began to reply but was immediately cut off when Twilight's eyes widened and a great smile plastered her face. The alicorn jumped in place and clopped her hooves together.

“Oh oh! I just thought of the perfect thing!” she exclaimed in excitement.

I believe it was my idea, dar-

Twilight silenced Rarity's voice in the hivemind, which only entered because of an earlier break of the queen's concentration. “Let's find out what the two of us can do together with our Hive Power!”

Fluttershy's face paled, her sweat-inducing worry failing to catch her queen's notice. “Ha ha,” the pegasus laughed weak and fake. “That sounds like a great idea, Twily...”

Pinkie Pie heard the exchange from where she was in Sugar Cube Corner. She bounced away from her friends at the table with a feverish delight. Fluttershy was going to show off her Hive Power? She had to be there!

What could go wrong?

PreviousChapters Next