The Writers' Group 9,317 members · 56,710 stories
Comments ( 25 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 25

Just a bit of a discussion piece. Though I've been writing less and less on Fimfic for the past couple months, I still do sit down and add a couple paragraphs or so to a story. Most of the time now, I've been working on original fiction, and though I only started doing so last summer, I've noticed in the meantime that it's begun to heavily influence just about all of my current stories.

So, in general, how original is the content of your stories? To make things easier, I'll just use a sort of basic ranking system. You can add explanation as well if you'd like.

Fully canon. All characters and locations are from the show, comics, or other official media. The plot and lore are based off of official episodes, often times with minor changes.

Mostly canon. Characters and locations are still canon, but the story itself focuses on things that MLP itself might not have much content in, such as an increased focus on magic systems, or certain species, for example. The plot may often tie in with episodes for parity.

Somewhat canon. OCs are used, though are often based on background characters. Most of the time, the main character is a canon pony. Some original settings may be introduced, but are based heavily on existing locations. Lore and plot tend to still relate somewhat to official media.

Kinda canon. Increased emphasis on OCs, with OCs sometimes being main characters. Canon characters and settings are used just to tie together more original sections of the story, acting as sort of in-betweens between characters, or meeting points, respectively. Canon locations are often used as landmarks for reference, and while lore remains mostly rooted in canon media, the plot may wildly differ from anything seen in episodes or comics.

That place between canon and original. OCs often outnumber canon characters and are commonly main characters. There are roughly an equal amount of canon and original settings used, and the lore, while still kind of rooted in canon, tends to have many bits and pieces added by the author themselves, such as more in-depth magic systems, or a deeper history of Equestria. The plot largely diverges from the episodes and/or comics and only references them every so often.

Pretty original. OCs tend to be the central figures in the story, with canon characters only appearing when needed. Equestria's canon locations are referenced sparingly, with completely different and often foreign settings used instead throughout the story. Official lore and plot is mostly ignored at this point or is relegated to history as long-ago events of the past.

Very original. Canon characters rarely, if ever are even acknowledged. The canon plot of MLP either has been almost entirely ignored or has been cast away as long-forgotten history serving as an underlying basis for a much more fantastical world. Canon locations either do not appear at all or are different to the point of being practically original in comparison to canon.

Mostly original. Not even the mane 6 appear at any time. They are very occasionally referenced, but are practically a drop in a bucket compared to just about anything else in significance. Equestria itself is usually fundamentally different, whether it be in a different era of technology, a different time period, or otherwise nearly unrecognizable unless stated specifically. If it isn't mentioned, then canon locations are almost always either forgone completely, or in complete ruins. As for lore, forget about the show. The story's basically written by someone who's never heard of MLP outside of random quips from a friend.

So original that you had to force pony into it just to pass moderation. Not only are OCs common, but 50-75% of the time they aren't even ponies. The Princesses of Equestria are basically the final link to any canon characters. Equestria itself has either been completely annihilated or effectively just doesn't exist anymore. Lore and plot were probably recycled from an original fiction that the author was writing before they decided to make horsewords out of it.

Not allowed on Fimfiction. Ponies? What are ponies? What does MLP stand for? On, My Little Pony? Isn't that that one show that little kids and a buttload of teens and adults like to watch? Wait, what am I doing on this site? I should probably get back to writing my novel or something.

Trancended reality. You have created your own universe IRL and we are all just figments of your imagination. MLP is your own creation made to play the minds of hundreds upon thousands of people in your plane of existence.

I've not written many stories on Fimfiction thus far, but I tend to stay squarely in the 1 to 2 range, with only my most recent story dipping into 3. I generally like the canon of the show/comics and like to keep what I write in line with them so that readers can just jump right in and not need an extensive forward on what's different. Not that 4 and higher are bad in any way, it's just my own style. I like things to line up with canon.

OC's also aren't bad... they just need good writing.

It's alright to have your own style and preferences in writing. :twilightsmile:

True! Like I said, I prefer canon-conforming stories, but once in a blue moon an OC/Alt-U/Meta story can tickle my fancy like the best of them.

Yup. As I said earlier in the original post, I've largely drifted away from writing fanfics over the past couple months, but that doesn't mean I'm not gonna write fanfics when I want to. I just like the freedom of planning out and writing everything from the ground-up.

Roughly 6.5 I'd say. though I haven't written it yet, something happened clear back at the first Hearth's warming and rippled from there. The place is still recognizable and all, Celestia is still Celestia, Twilight still faces nightmare Moon, Trixie is still great and powerful, Ect. but the history and particular details are quite different. large chunks of lore, such as a cultural center for earth ponies equal to Canterlot or Cloudsdale, are created out of whole cloth.

And yes, it does tend to influence my views of other stories. For instance, my ponies have a thriving brewing tradition, beers and stouts for the earth ponies, wines for the pegasai and so on. This is because equine physiology can handle alcohol quite readily, and they quite enjoy the taste of the hops and grains used in the process.

I tend to stick to the 1 & 2 range as well, but I haven’t written many stories, and I have more planned to be released once I finish projects. I don’t exactly have much to add, since you’ve explained it in the best possible way :twilightsmile:

I'd say that I am around a 5. I use a mixture of canon and original characters, though it's only recently that I am starting to put more emphasis on OCs as being the main characters (especially for future stories). I don't completely dismiss characters in the show, as sometimes I'd like to bend them that in a way that it may seem they're a completely different character.

The story I'm working on is a crossover with Attack on Titan

I'm somewhere between 3 and 5. I only have one series of stories currently published on this site, but I also have a huge number of OCs (mostly characters from a fantasy series I've been working on), and due to the number of analysis videos I've seen made for MLP, I came to see the MLP verse as a wonderful place for me to test what sort of adventures my characters can go on. As of now, my stories have a bit more culture clashing, due to the different standards that my characters live by, but it's still fun to write, and I'm hoping that people enjoy the stories I shell out.
My favorite example (that I hope to work on soon) would have to be the dragons: I wrote out original dragon characters of my own, but their greed is incredibly downplayed; my dragons have zero interest in treasure, and focus more on fights or competition, wanting to test their skills against worthy opponents. Thus, having them get bounced off MLP's dragons could cause some interesting dilemmas, as the two sides challenge each other on who's more dragon than the other.

Easily a 5 for my story, could possibly be a 6 depending on how you look at it.

Canon characters are used often and are referenced at least once per chapter. Most chapters do feature at least one canon character besides a few exceptions. The location, creatures, and lore are often used. Canon characters are currently gaining importance in my story, especially in the latest chapter. My story would need a lof of rewrites without the MLP universe and lore still.

Well, it depends on the story. I'd say ranging between a 4-7. In my more recent stories I've been using more ocs in combination with canon ones, been working fairly well so far.

Somewhere inbetween 3 – 5, depending on which aspect you look at. I use more canon characters, but also add lots of original lore details.

I seem to go between 2 to 5 depending on the story.

Hmm... not many fics so far, but the ones I have tend to focus on a canon protagonist in "off-camera" situations with other canon charcters and OCs. So, about 3?

I'd say I'm pretty rooted in the 4-5 range. Canon events and characters influence nearly everything I write, even if I'm most often writing events that are very separate from canon. Because that's where the real fun lies: blending your own story threads with canon events to create something cohesive and wonderful.

How did Equestria get to where it is now? Where does it go from here? These are the base things that truly interest me.

I would say 2-4. Every story I write, I try to make as if it could be an episode in the official show (or comics). I'm not sure if the presence of OC indicates "originality" - a lot of FiM episodes feature new characters, "Rainbow Roadtrip" in fact had several as main characters.

So far I wrote only one story, that actually is centered around my own special OC. I plan more, but with the slow speed I write, it won't be soon.

My fanfiction would be a 5 or a 7.

My fanfic takes place in Equestria and involves the main 6 but it is how my character reacts to the main 6 that creates the story. My fanfic also expands on the lore for MLP and sets up twilight to be queen. (I started writing it before season 9 was announced. but I refuse to change it for season 9.)Eventually, I want to change some names and locations and publish a Fanfic as an original Novel.

The Novel that I am writing would be a 11.

My current story is a mix of 5 and 8 I think. What with how it takes place in ancient equestria from about a year before the very first heart's warming.
Plenty of OCs with just a few Canon characters, like the founders or Celestia and Luna, in the mix, and very few canon locations, what with how the kingdoom hasn't been founded yet.

11, I am your god.

Comment posted by Chaotic_Revenge deleted Sep 16th, 2019

All jokes aside my current story would be 9 in originality. TBH I'm just making them ponies because I don't really know where else Id post it. Plus I just like ponies.

6992641 Here's how my stories rank on your system (for NSFW list go here):

Mostly canon. Characters and locations are still canon, but the story itself focuses on things that MLP itself might not have much content in, such as an increased focus on magic systems, or certain species, for example. The plot may often tie in with episodes for parity.

TSweetie Belle Gains a Soul
In her darkest hour, Sweetie Belle finds salvation, but it comes with a terrible curse.
Bad Dragon · 132k words  ·  178  45 · 6.7k views
TPrincess of Friendship
After Twilight’s stream of successes, she’s confident that nothing can go wrong. Is she due for a lesson?
Bad Dragon · 5.4k words  ·  290  46 · 7.9k views

Coronation Matters

Somewhat canon. OCs are used, though are often based on background characters. Most of the time, the main character is a canon pony. Some original settings may be introduced, but are based heavily on existing locations. Lore and plot tend to still relate somewhat to official media.

EFlash Sentry Is Not a Hero
There comes a time when a Royal Guard can do more than just stand around. This is that time.
Bad Dragon · 4.4k words  ·  92  42 · 2.4k views
TSupernova Daybreak
The sun is going supernova. Is there a way to save Equestria from the looming inferno?
Bad Dragon · 4.4k words  ·  62  31 · 2.4k views

Kinda canon. Increased emphasis on OCs, with OCs sometimes being main characters. Canon characters and settings are used just to tie together more original sections of the story, acting as sort of in-betweens between characters, or meeting points, respectively. Canon locations are often used as landmarks for reference, and while lore remains mostly rooted in canon media, the plot may wildly differ from anything seen in episodes or comics.

TForget Love
Despite being stripped of everything, the pony finds his true love and is about to marry her.
Bad Dragon · 2.6k words  ·  108  31 · 2.6k views

That place between canon and original. OCs often outnumber canon characters and are commonly main characters. There are roughly an equal amount of canon and original settings used, and the lore, while still kind of rooted in canon, tends to have many bits and pieces added by the author themselves, such as more in-depth magic systems, or a deeper history of Equestria. The plot largely diverges from the episodes and/or comics and only references them every so often.

TI Ain't Your Sacrifice
Despite the prospect of imminent death looming all around him, the black-and-red Alicorn Crystal pony faces his challenges head on.
Bad Dragon · 4k words  ·  145  45 · 3.7k views

Pretty original. OCs tend to be the central figures in the story, with canon characters only appearing when needed. Equestria's canon locations are referenced sparingly, with completely different and often foreign settings used instead throughout the story. Official lore and plot is mostly ignored at this point or is relegated to history as long-ago events of the past.

EKung Fury in Equestria
Kung Fury gets zapped to Equestria, and one thing is for certain: This magical land of ponies is in need of some justice!
Bad Dragon · 3.8k words  ·  67  25 · 1.5k views

Not allowed on Fimfiction. Ponies? What are ponies? What does MLP stand for? On, My Little Pony? Isn't that that one show that little kids and a buttload of teens and adults like to watch? Wait, what am I doing on this site? I should probably get back to writing my novel or something.

The Day to Forget

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 25