The Goodfic Bin 1,255 members · 1,297 stories
Comments ( 442 )
  • Viewing 201 - 250 of 442
HapHazred
Group Admin

That's how I see some stories sometimes. Eh. I guess we'll see how they turn out.

4296146 For the sake of your sanity, I hope someone submitted a story about Flufflepuff going to Aloe and Lotus' spa for a massage. All fluff!

4195380 -Steven Multiverse
-After the gems accidentally discover a multiverse portal, Steven goes to visit Equestria and takes the rest of the gems with him. What he didn't imagine is them all becoming ponies and having of their actions being obsessively monitored by a certain purple princess.
Sex tag is for innuendo only. Edited by the great Izanagi
-I've had more favorites than likes for this story which I find kind of odd, but I've also received so much positive feedback for this story. I haven't seen any Steven Universe crossover stories on this site, and I think this one is turning out quite nicely.

Here is my story:

Title: To Spread Joy

Description: No one is perfect. Everyone makes mistakes.
But Pinkie often wonders what mistakes mean for her. Does any slip-up cause a party to fail or a pony to be disappointed? Do mistakes make her a failure?

Why?: If you like Pinkie (and reading stories about her), this is most certainly for you.

HapHazred
Group Admin

4296650 Could you explain why you think it's turned out nicely aside from telling me that it's received a globally positive reception. I've rejected stories with some very popular receptions, because by my own admission, 'I'm right they're wrong na na na na na'. Or 'something something, immature'.

4296890 Whilst the description certainly does sound interesting, I'd be giving special treatment if I didn't ask you to provide a better reason than Pinkie being in the story. Almost every story has a character in it, after all.

4287066 As for why it should be read... Well. It's a story that isn't a crossover but takes elements from various well known Neo-Noir's, Horror Comedies, Comics, and Myths. For the most part, it's a gumshoe tale about the well disguised, jewel encrusted underbelly of Canterlot. The parts of Equestrian History that wouldn't make it into a children's television show. The intricate details of Dark Magic. And most of all. The fact that even with these elements, Equestria will keep rolling, it's still a land of harmony and that even with the monsters, cultist and mediocre guards, Equestria is a place that can take that and still be a shinning example of a nation and a starting point to a universe with untold mysteries. In all? I just want to write about a wizard setting monsters on fire. :twilightsmile:
Signed: U.N.I.T Agent

That should be it... But I can see how this may not be exactly selling it.... :ajsleepy:

My apologies.

Aside from what I just mentioned, this story will please you if you like getting into someone's mind. While you may be aware of the many stories that already explore Pinkie in more detail, I think this one could very well be unique. It depends, of course, on what you think.

HapHazred
Group Admin

4297672 Perfect. Added to da list.

4297664 Well, you could have summed that up by saying that you think the story explores the background lore of Equestria as you see it in a good way, but I'll paraphrase and just let the story onto the list anyway. Cheers.

HapHazred
Group Admin

4296071 Thanks for adding my story.

I think I'll give this a shot.

Title: The Apprentice, the Student, and the Charlatan

Description: As Princess Celestia has a Faithful Student, so too did Princess Luna have the Night Apprentice. Shortly after her return, Princess Luna selects Nova Shine, a vagabond everycolt living in the small town of Neighton, to be her first apprentice in over a thousand years. After some time being taught separately, Nova and Twilight Sparkle begin to slowly fall for each other as they both attempt to solve a nightmare problem. But the problem with this particular case of chronic nightmares is that it is far more than it seems. An ancient enemy, one as old as the nation of Equestria itself, threatens to be released if they don't move to stop it. If it is released, there's no telling what could happen if they can't stop it...

Why?: I really don't like self-praise, and saying why I think my own story is a good fic seems like that. Prefer to let the readers decide that for themselves. In the end, the decision is ultimately yours, after all But anyway, here goes.

While the concept of Luna having an Apprentice to match Celestia's is by no means an original one, I decided to take it and run anyway. And after a year of writing with it, I had created an epic (applying to length and scale, not the quality). And yet this was the first work of mine I could look at and hold my head high and feel proud of what I had accomplished. It is not perfect, nor do I feel it ever will be, but I am continuing to work on it to try to make it as good as I can.

Frankly, I'm not even sure I'm pitching why this story should be included right, but still that is my stance, and I hope you'll consider adding it to the group.

4297641 It's got better grammar than any of my other stories, due to each chapter being proofread twice. It's mostly original (I didn't see any other stories like it on the site). It has a good descriptive writing style that makes it easy to imagine what each character is doing. It has a few hilarious bits of mature humor sprinkled in here and there, and lots of love.

I'll let you know when I'm done reading.

I can see you've been very busy in this group! I'm rather impressed. I checked the decisions thread in case you'd gotten around to reading my story ( 4231288 ) but forgotten to send a note, but I unsuccessfully Ctrl+F'd the thread pages for my fic's title. Just in case I missed it, though, I wanted to ask whether I can still count on being messaged whenever you get around to reading Fallen Angels. There's still no hurry, but I'd like to know when it happens if possible (or whether it has already been reviewed), especially since you seem to give valuable feedback.

Do you make it a habit to message every author whose fic is accepted or rejected, or only longer fics, or am I just special? :twistnerd:

HapHazred
Group Admin

4299589 Perfect. Adding to the list.

4299653 I post a comment on all stories with my decision and a link to the thread, except for normal submissions (where I just post the ribbon when I remember if they get in). So you'll be sure to be notified when we're done.

HapHazred
Group Admin

Title
Memoirs of a Magic Earth Pony
-Description
My name is Starswirl and I am an earth pony. This is a collection of stories about my life. As I reflect on the events that have brought me to this home by the sea, I can only hope for one thing; that my life be viewed as ordinary and plain, but my work in theoretical magic be held the highest regard. I placed so much effort into my studies in theoretical magic that it would be a shame to let my work be lost somewhere in the sands of time.
-Reason you think the story is worth reading
This story dives into the surprisingly unseen life of Starswirl the Bearded. Instead of taking the demigod approach, I made his rise to power something that is more than an inborn talent. The concept of pushing through the barriers pervades through the story, truly offering a sense of hope through a world of doubt. Starswirl himself is quite relatable, and his power is something that is forged through hard work and perseverance rather than given to him on a silver platter. The deeper concepts of magic, and their basis in the fundamentals of quantum theory and hyper-dimensions, are explored as Starswirl learns the ins and outs of theoretical magic to fulfill his insatiable curiosity.
I've turned a once unattainably lofty character into one that is not only relatable, but struggles the same as all of us.

HapHazred
Group Admin

4307214 Adding to the list.

I've turned a once unattainably lofty character into one that is not only relatable, but struggles the same as all of us.

Been there, done that brah! Sounds like fun though. I like pone-Merlin.

Also, next time, linky! Now Imma go through your listy thingy and drag up the story-wory!

Sweet! Thanks man! (sorry about forgetting the link)

Did you find my application for review up above adequate? Because I didn't get a response earlier. Is mine being looked over?

HapHazred
Group Admin

4299165 That's entirely my bad. I was on the fence about your reasoning, since you preferred to not say you thought it was good (historically speaking not a good move in this thread since I can't get your readers to come over here and testify to it's quality) but I was happy enough with it to let it in. Problem was, I simply forgot to add it.

The issue is rectified. Sorry.:twilightblush:

4195380 Alright, I'll give this a shot.

Title- Not A Nerd

Description- Ever since Rainbow Dash got into a car crash whilst driving to school, her eyesight was damaged, and her body was left in a critical condition. She now needs to wear glasses, as she refuses to have surgery to help with her vision. She is not too keen on the doctors decision, and ever since she was able to leave the hospital, she had been living with her boyfriend, Soarin Skys. He has been trying his very hardest to take care of her, but with no captain for the football team since Rainbow had the accident, and a hell of a lot of schoolwork, she has been bored out of her mind.

Reason You Think The Story Is Worth Reading- Well, so far, this is my most popular story with over 300 views and 28 likes, and personally, I think my describing of the surroundings is getting better, and I'm getting better at extending chapters. For chapter 3 I'm going to start and work with an editor, so if any mistakes are there then they can be fixed. As of now, the whole story is at 4,777 words long, and I hope you accept incomplete stories or else there was no point in me writing this XD I've been told that this story is one of my best works yet, and been complimented on my writing and cliffhangers.

Wow, that's 20 minutes of my life I'll never get back...

HapHazred
Group Admin

4308532 Good enough. (talking about the surroundings saved it)

Oh, just in regards to the 'Great Stories' group, whilst it's a perfectly admirable thing to want to do and I support it 100%, if you wanted to participate in this group all you'd have to do is link me a few reviews you've done, and if they're up to scratch I could take you on as a story approver. Starting up an entirely separate group is very arduous.

Also, does nopony linky?!

4308593 Sorry XD Linky I'm actually working on some reviews right now for stories, I even have my own bookshelf for it, so I'll link them to you later :pinkiehappy: And thanks for the offer as a story approver! I hope my reviews are good enough when they are out!

HapHazred
Group Admin

4308600 It's not an offer yet. It's an opportunity. We have a fair few standards when it comes to story approving. I'm just letting you know that it's not a closed system and we do take new approvers.

In any case, I'll keep an eye out for any reviews (as I do for a lot of places I'm around). Thanks for showing interest, though.

Hello, here's goes my submission, with linky:

Title: Starlight Glimmer's Shop of Sameness

Description: Starlight Glimmer continues her crusade of bringing the Harmony to Equestria. To spread her philosophy further, she sets up a pawn shop in downtown Manehattan where everypony can exchange their cutie mark for a handful of bits. Everypony needs money, but those who don't pay the loan back in time--like Flim and Flam, the infamous salespony brothers--have to say farewell to their talent, becoming yet another follower of equality Starlight dreams about. The best part? It's all legal. It's not like anypony reads terms and conditions, ever.

Reasons: The story is a 3k words Slice of Life follow-up to the opening episodes of S5. It shows what else could Starlight do to achieve her goals, and presents how well hiding under the cover of law works for a villain. Flim and Flam, the poor victims of her shop's terms and conditions, bring in a comedic touch as they try to get their cutie marks back.

Enjoy to the approver who'll consider taking this one! :raritywink:

HapHazred
Group Admin

4308645 Sure, I'll let it in. It's all the same to me.

Lel. I so witty.

Title : Remnants

Description : a nameless mercenary is sent into the Everfree forest, looking for an ancient, buried factory. Whilst navigating the dense and dangerous woods, the pony will quickly face an ennemy far above anything else in the Forest. Soon, the past of the mercenary comes back to haunt her, and that factory might be a lot more than anticipated...maybe it's time to face the past, head on.

Reasons : if you like adventures and combats, you'll like this one. It's one of the main focus of the story. But at the same time, I tried to give this a more...grounded atmosphere. It's not a triumphant stride through hordes of monster. It's a painful, long winded road filled with injuries and death. You never know what the next corner might bring...if you like a character that live on the edge and follows its own path, then this is for you. (Warning : Mature and Gore.)

Yeah, I gotcha. But I'll say this. The point of this thread was for you guys to determine whether or not it's good enough, regardless of what we said about it.

HapHazred
Group Admin

4308734 Added to the list, although I should mention I won't be reviewing that one personally, due to my own investment in it.

Didn't expect any less from you.

4218474 Okay, this completely slipped by me, so sorry for the long delay in reply. Okay, why do I think my fic should be part of this group? In all honesty, I'm not sure. Nocturnia suggested to submit my work here, so it stands to reason that he/she at least enjoyed the work I've put into this fic for the last two years. And, sure. It would be nice for my work to be featured in a group where many other readers might be able to find it, but I like to let my work do the talking for me. Still, I'll give it a shot.

As I said, I have been working on this fic for almost two years now, and am still going strong, (two sister stories connected with this fic as well,) with a word count for this fic alone well over 330K. What makes this fic good or bad? For the bad, I would say my grammar and spelling, which is an issue I am working on improving. Which, thanks to my editors who I picked up along the way, has seen a steady incline in overall execution. Nowhere near perfect, but improving.

The good. Eehhh... Well, it's a story with ponies. That is always good. There are also ghosts, and a whole lot of references. Some subtle, some blatantly obvious to the point that you might just miss them while they stare you in the face. I know this has already happened, as one of my readers commented about just such a thing happening to him/her.

Other comments about my work:

"You magnificent bastard she was the real Sam all along." -Sonicfan21

"How does this story not have more views?! Words fail me; all I can say is that this fic is awesome. It does everything perfectly." -Dawn Darkling

"Stuff me into coffin and twirl with triple-top-spin, that. Is. AWESOME!" <-- not the entire comment, as it was far too long. Morpheus Eleynar

"There are no words to express my feelings right now. I saw a few typos while reading, but was too distracted by how
AWESOME this chapter was." -Dawn Darkling

... I think you get the idea. Honestly, I can't think of anything else to say. Either my fic is something worth considering, or it isn't. Whatever it is, I will leave up to you.

Have a good one.

~Powerdrainer

HapHazred
Group Admin

4317526 It's not that you've put no effort into your reason, but frankly there's more of substance in the 'bad' category. Aside from there being ponies in the story, the only thing you could say was that it has references, and that doesn't tell me if it's good or bad.

Either try again or else I don't feel the need to add this story to the list. We have a lot of stories to read, as you may have noticed, and I don't feel that references really cut it.

I also don't care about what anyone else has to say. They're not here, and our normal submissions folder is closed for the moment while we whittle it down. If you can't come up with good reasons yourself, you can always get one of them to submit it there when it opens again.

4317644 Meh, I can live with it. The only reason I even came here was because of Nocturnia. Anyhow, I gave all the reasons I could come up with, and if it isn't for you, it isn't for you.

Twilight Falls, Sunset Dawns

It's been two and a half years since Twilight Sparkle returned from the other world, leaving Sunset Shimmer in the company of the alternate group of friends she made. However, not all has gone well for her one-time rival in the other world. On the night of the 30th moon, Sunset emerges from the mirror and uses an ancient relic to switch their bodies. Alone in the care of Sunset's overbearing ex-tutor, Twilight uncovers the forgotten past that drove her rival to such desperation, while back in Ponyville, Sunset struggles with Twilight's lifestyle clashing with her own dreams.

Reason for submission: Don't let the body swap cliche scare you off; it's a tool through which I try to explore Sunset's tormented psyche, her past with Celestia and Twilight, and her gradual descent into insanity as her dreams fall apart around her.

HapHazred
Group Admin

4323475 Sounds like fun times.

Adding to the list.

The Stars Will Aid in Her Escape

Nightmare Moon was not one to sit about and wait in hopes that she might sometime escape. She would bring about her freedom with her own two hooves!

All she needed was power. Enough to fill the stars and drag them from the skies.

For an alicorn in chains, that was magic she just didn't have. But she could take it; it was only a subject's duty to give of themselves for their Princess's sake, was it not? Still, that would take time, centuries even, and with such thorough bindings she would be unable to take more than scraps from from common peasants.

No, she would need somepony... special. Somepony attuned to the stars themselves.

Reason for Submission: It's pretty common to find stories where Twilight is the result of some sort of Element-husbandry program run by Celestia, or where Celestia has otherwise been controlling her family for ages. Finding her as the product of Nightmare Moon is much more usual.

Title: From Under The Cork Tree.

Description: While in a race against time to get both across the country and away from his fiance’s unstable father, Gale’s car careens off the road. As it flies out over a lake his life flashes before his eyes before another, brighter, flash occurs and his car crashes down in an Equestrian field.

He spends the next few years simultaneously trying to navigate the political system, rebuild his car, and just find a way back home. Little does he know, home isn’t always where you’ve lived, but where you want to keep living.

I'd also note that the tags for both sex and gore will probably end up being added, but that will be at a point later on in the story.

Reason (I) think the story should be read? Well I've seen HiE fics galore wherein the protagonist has either the easiest life or the hardest after arriving in Equestria, but I'm doing something a bit different than the usual with this story. I'm making it a goal to write this story in such a way as to either subvert or just not use the normal cliches the genre is known for. (I hope you like it so far.)

4195380 Title: Springtime Nights - Pneuma Flower
Description: Partly because of a bet, and partly to renew his relationship with his loved ones the changeling King invites his daughter and Queen to meet his and his brother's foster parents. He wants them to share in the meaning he and his brother have found in the nights of spring. Things... don't exactly go as planned.
Why?: If you like slice of life family stories, as well as some interesting characters ((only Ao/Tidal Rider belongs to me)) then you are in for a treat. Plus there will be a continuation.

4235116 Thank you. Forgot to add, this story is currently about 85% done.

HapHazred
Group Admin

4331659 Good enough, adding to list-y.

4334184 Whoo, boy. You're a blast from the past. You may not have noticed, but we have a tendency to be a little sluggish around here.

Don't worry about the 85% thing. Loads of stories aren't even 50% done.

Hey, no problem. I just realized I hadn't mentioned how much of my story was posted so far, and since it's an incomplete multi-chapter one, I felt I should probably give you guys an idea of how far along it was. So you're not looking at 69,000 words and wondering if that's just the tip of the ice burg.

HapHazred
Group Admin

4334442 Sure thingo.

4334449 don't give him hope By Celestia! It’s our duty as writers to crush his spirit with our 300k stories and laugh in glee as he squirms!

If my special effects department hadn't broken down last week, this is were you'd see a thunderbolt and some evil laugher might even echo from a cloaked figure standing on a mountain top. But sinceit is, ill just request you picture that on your own, thanks! :facehoof:

Title: Burning Sirens

Description:

Since their banishment to this world centuries ago, Adagio, Aria and Sonata have been traveling, looking for a way to go back to Equestria.

One day after using their powers, they get accused of witchcraft. Chased by the authorities and the population, they must escape to avoid a horrible death.

(Takes place a few centuries before Rainbow Rocks.)

Reason you think the story is worth reading:
Written under the assumption that the Dazzlings have been in the EQG world for a very long time, this story gives a look at how their lives may have been in the past, which is not something I've seen a lot.
Moreover, it's an thrilling tale that follows our favorite sirens as they attempt to run for their lives, while also developing their characters and relationships.

HapHazred
Group Admin

4340485 Good enough for me! Adding to the listy.

4335913 I eat despair for breakfast.

4340517 Now that is how you make an epic meal. :rainbowlaugh:

Title: Dark Corners of Equestria

Description: Trixies life is no bed of roses after her second defeat in Ponyville. To proud to ask for help, her life has run down the hill.

Who will be with her in her darkest hours? Twilight Sparkle and her friends? The cloaked stranger - a victim himself, claiming for revenge? Or a small but nonetheless honourable pirate? And what will she find, while wandering through the Dark Corners of Equestria?

Reason to read it: Yes it's another story of Trixie suffering after Magic Duell. But - no senseless suicides, no over-exaggerated drama and no Trixie-Revenge. I tried to advance her character, without changing her completely. I tried to give feelings without writing a cheap Da-Feelz-Porn. I tried to keep the story inside the Ponyverse (should have worked, besides a tiny little bit of violence).
And it contains a dark mystery plot (and no horror-slaughterhouse).

Reason for you (HapHazred) to read it: You were the first one commenting on it, as I released it a few months ago - and it seemed you enjoyed it. You only nitpicked on the grammar. So I spellchecked it and tweaked the wording where necessary, before submitting it here. So I hope you enjoy it again (without causing heavy drinking).

• Viewing 201 - 250 of 442