The Writeoff Association 937 members · 681 stories
Comments ( 1317 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1,317
RogerDodger
Group Admin

Event overview | Review spreadsheet

Voting times have been reduced for this event. This is experimental to see if shorter voting periods are workable.

This event has a prelim round. This means that once the submissions close, you will be assigned a series of stories to read and rate. You must either complete the assigned records or abstain for your stories to pass to the next round.

Note for newcomers: While many participants choose to review others' entries, doing so is by no means required nor expected.

Please refrain from saying anything that might compromise your anonymity. Doing so is grounds for disqualification. It's recommended you do dummy reviews of your own stories should it otherwise be easy to deduce which you wrote.

Super Trampoline
Group Contributor

Maybe I'll actually remember to/be able to enter this time.

Vic Fontaine
Group Contributor

It begins... :)

Broman
Group Contributor
Bradel
Group Contributor

BAH.

Thursday through Sunday this week? I think there literally couldn't be a worse time for me. Any time up to Thursday, great. Any time after Sunday, great. Those four days, not so great.

Well, maybe I'll get lucky and find some time. Otherwise I guess I'm sitting out again.

TacticalRainboom
Group Contributor

Pity that this overlaps with the Slam Jam.

BlazzingInferno
Group Contributor

:raritydespair: hope it's a bad time to write because you're busy with other fun stuff, at least.

I'm currently on the fence... I'm coming off a couple lousy writing weeks, time that I was supposed to put into novel editing... But I might procrastinate and write an entry anyway. Time (and the prompt) will tell

Smaug the Golden
Group Contributor

Maybe I'll actually enter for once. :P

Bradel
Group Contributor

Statistics work. I fly in to stay with my advisor and do some collaboration on Thursday. He flies out (and I do some house-sitting in his absence) on Sunday. I think. There's a small chance he might be flying out Saturday, which might give me a window to work with. But yeah, some really unfortunate timing on my end.

Peregrine Caged
Group Contributor

Going to make this something of a challenge, but hey, that's life. Time to do all the things.

Twi-Fi
Group Contributor

This is happening during a week long business trip. :raritycry: Even if I manage to write something, the likelihood of me having time to read other entries and vote are slim.

Titanium Dragon
Group Contributor
Bachiavellian
Group Contributor

I'm going to be traveling/staying with relatives for the entirety of the writing period. Maybe I'll get a few hours to myself, but more likely than not, I won't be in this one.

Silent Strider
Group Contributor

I'll be taking an extended, maybe even permanent, leave from the events. Well, I've already left one in the middle and skipped another, so not exactly news.

Turns out my dislike for the S4 finale, and more specifically the Library's destruction and the new castle being added in its place, was stronger than even I expected; after the Castle Sweet Castle episode made it sink for me that it had really happened I found myself unable to find enjoyment in anything pony at all, at a point where being involved with anything pony was just making me burn out. So, to avoid getting to a point where my previous joy turns into hate, I will be avoiding everything pony, including this group and event, until I can get over that.

It was great taking part in this group for as long as I did, and while I can't be with you for a while at least, you all have my best wishes.

Chinchillax
Group Contributor

So is this is the normal pony contest? Or the generic fiction contest?

Georg
Group Contributor

Puns. Obviously this contest is ripe for punning, after we had the Pandering Bear from Episode 100 :)

Fuzzyfurvert
Group Contributor

Lets get to it! Prompt time!

I think I might enter this one. Here's goes nothing...

Cold in Gardez
Group Contributor

Unfortunately, this contest coincides with my return to the States for a few weeks of training, and I'll be travelling for 36 out of the 72 hour writing period.

I won't say it's impossible for me to participate for this round, but it'll be tough. Certainly I won't be pushing the high-end of the word length. Maybe I can get some writing done on the plane.

Vic Fontaine
Group Contributor

4472113 Safe travels!

Foehn
Group Contributor

Not sure I'm going to be able to get enough words out in time, but I'll give it a go!

Here's hoping the prompt isn't a troll one.

I have to get ready for my graduation, so I will have to abstain from this one.

Dubs Rewatcher
Group Contributor

Prompt submitted. This is gonna be a busy weekend for me, so I'm hoping that I'll be able to get something down.

Normal pony, my friend. I have a feeling that we'll be getting a pretty big warning once we make the eventual switch.

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope that you stay safe, and find success in whatever you do!

Waterpear
Group Contributor

I don't see any reason why I can't put in an entry for this one.

Sunny
Group Contributor

Gasp! A weekend I BARELY WORK! YAY!

bookplayer
Group Contributor

You do realize you have just doomed yourself to 48 hours of NO IDEAS. Right? :rainbowlaugh:

I'm probably in. Writing time will be tight with Father's Day and all, but I can usually pull something off.

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer
Group Admin

Yeah, slamjam's gonna make this difficult, and I'm only reading at this point. I'll probably sit out reviews again.

M1Garand8
Group Contributor

I may or may not enter, since my writing speed has gone from "maybe 750 words in 2 hours" to "a few sentences each morning and evening". :ajsleepy:

Bad Horse
Group Contributor

4472008 Just explain to your advisor that you really need him to leave a day early so you can write My Little Pony fan-fiction.

4472113 Again, just go to your CO and explain that you need to be excused from training for a My Little Pony write-off. I can write you a note.

Georg
Group Contributor

4472570 A note? Heck, you could write him a symphony. :heart:

Darnit, now I'm going to have to write a story about a Royal Guard who gives a letter from his mother to Princess Celestia asking to be excused from the upcoming invasion.

Dubs Rewatcher
Group Contributor

a Royal Guard who gives a letter from his mother to Princess Celestia asking to be excused from the upcoming invasion.

Reminds me of this (skip to 3:24):

Broman
Group Contributor

I just realize that I have a trip on the very day that the writeoff begins and won't return until late Monday when the writing time is over. It might be close but depending on the prompt I might squeeze something in, or beg RogerDoger to slip in a late entry on Monday. (Hopefully.)

HoofBitingActionOverload
Group Contributor

Pretty sure that shortened voting time means I can't participate, just wouldn't have almost any free time those four days for doing the prelim voting if I wrote something. Oh well. Good luck to those who do.

horizon
Group Admin

Man, looks like this is going to be a brutal round on the writing front. Half of us are traveling or booked and most of the other half are going to be setting aside time for Father's Day (myself included). And then the shortened voting period. Welp, time to start thinking of a 2000-word idea!

horizon
Group Admin

Really? Inserting feather puns?

Enough with the put-downs!

... I'll just see myself out

Sunny
Group Contributor

I have nothing to do on Father's Day, Tee Hee Hee

Incoming M1GarandConspiracyTheory

Broman
Group Contributor

Hmm, well there are fifty five prompts, with nine of them being potential. (In my opinion.) Hopefully some luck will come there way in the voting.

Axis of Rotation
Group Contributor

Aw man, I missed the prompt submission. Pooh. Hope you all came up with some good ones :p

M1Garand8
Group Contributor

#Not_My_Alt

Twi-Fi
Group Contributor

4472113 I've been on leave for basically a month, and ironically I've had less time to write. But I too will be doing training during the entire duration of the contest.

4472570 A note... hmmm I could use one too. My CO will understand. :raritywink:

Not_A_Hat
Group Contributor

Gah, I'm off by a day, and I missed the submissions! Srsly, brain.

*cracks knuckles*

Let's see if I can manage to reach the finals.

journcy
Group Contributor

While I have no idea if I'll be able to write or not, I'm really wondering if, if I do write, I'll be able to make wordcount... It'll be fun, for sure!

Orbiting Kettle
Group Contributor

Well, submitted a prompt (a while ago), voted, and ready to go if I can avoid some other catastrophical large batch of work for the weekend and wrap up what I have in my greasy little hands right now (I am humming "Sixteen tons").

Bad Horse
Group Contributor

When submitting or voting on a prompt, ask yourself, "Would I like to read 50 stories based on this prompt?" I think some people didn't think of that... :unsuresweetie:

Spectral
Group Contributor

Is it already time for another one? Huh.
And of course I'm busy the whole weekend. Won't even have internet access. :applejackunsure:

One of these days, I'm gonna participate in a short story writeoff, guddarnit.

Welp, y'all have fun.

Vic Fontaine
Group Contributor

With this many choices, picking prompts that you think you can write well with becomes even harder. xD

Sharp Spark
Group Contributor

This is indeed an important question to ask. And why I'm so looking forward to "Oh-Pun Season" winning.

I am a terrible person.

BlazzingInferno
Group Contributor

There wasn't even a prompt about poop this time :trollestia:

Bad Horse
Group Contributor

I noticed something useful while voting on prompts. I have a story idea in mind, and I went thru the prompt choices asking how I could work each one into this story idea. Most of them I couldn't, but when I found one that I could, it was because the prompt idea was already weakly implied by part of the story. Because the prompts were usually sorta univeral themes, I think that finding the ones already present in my story and making them more obvious will make it a better story.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1,317