• Published 11th May 2013
  • 1,253 Views, 31 Comments

Forces of Nature - canonkiller



Twilight Sparkle wasn't the first powerful pony to make Ponyville her home.

  • ...
5
 31
 1,253

Dabble

"So," Florina started, swallowing a mouthful of waffle, "today, you're going to learn something."

June sighed. "Don't I do that at school?"

"You would, but today's a Saturday. Weekends are for extra-curriculars, and this is one." She slid a notebook across the table, blank save for a hastily-scribbled schedule on the front cover.

June caught it, reading it over. "To do; visit training sessions, get groceries, make lunch, talk to Spectrum, make dinner, settle any arguments, sleep." She glanced up at her mentor. "This doesn't seem to have anything to do with me."

"Wrong again!" Florina gestured towards the empty table, evidence of breakfasting earlier scattered about. "I let you sleep in so that you wouldn't be bothered by the others, but we're going to visit them while they're training. You're going to train with them."

Red June almost choked on a mouthful of waffle. "But I'm not one of them!"

"Every Elemental can learn small portions of other Elements. Our personal Earth training will go on later, but for now, you get to dabble." She quickly downed her drink - it appeared to be cider - and stood up. "Now, we're going to visit Sun Glimmer, Shady Daze and Bee Bop at the park, along with their mentors, Silverwing, Night Shade and Fiddlesticks. You're going to learn just what a properly trained Elemental can do; oh, and some of our graduates will be there too!"

-----

Florina led Red June past all the exciting things like the ice cream vendor - a teal Unicorn who had been referred to as 'Sherbet' as Florina called back a hello - the fountains and the hoofball field to a small grove of trees on the edge of the park.

As the shade enveloped them, Red June noticed the small group of ponies lounging around. Some of them she recognized; the blue-gray coated Shady Daze, blue Unicorn Sun Glimmer and a second blue filly who she had yet to learn the name of, along with their mentors.

Red June followed as Florina officially introduced them. Beside Shady Daze was a dark blue mare with a navy mane and tail, a Unicorn who had come from Canterlot to aid in training Ponyville's high concentration of Elementals; Sun Glimmer's mentor was a tan-coated, gray-maned Pegasus colt named Silverwing, who was currently altering the patterns of light the leaves were casting on the grass; Fiddlesticks was the filly's - Bee Bop, she learned - mentor in Sound, relaxing against a tree with one hoof on a small leather case.

The other two mares with them were not mentoring or in training; Florina explained that they had 'graduated' from their apprenticeships and chosen to use their Elemental talent elsewhere. The green-coated Unicorn, Lyra Heartstrings, was once a Sound apprentice, and she had one of her favourite instruments with her. The second mare, a gray Earth mare with bright purple eyes, was another Sound graduate, her instrument alongside her as well.

"Unlike the other Elementals, which can control their powers with their bodies, most Sound Elementals need a focus object that can help them channel their energy. Sound, like Fire, is a very passionate Element, and it takes a strong pony to channel their energy through their vocal chords instead of a separate focus," Florina summarized, sitting down in the cool grass. "Octavia chose the cello, Lyra chose the harp, and Fiddlesticks chose the fiddle. Bee Bop has yet to decide."

"I like singing!" The filly commented, hopping up, "I really think I can do it!"

"Now, Bop, you have to relax." Fiddlesticks muttered, sighing. "Your Element will do you no good if you get too frantic to focus."

"Sorry." The yellow-maned Pegasus dipped her head, still smiling. "Can we start now that June's here?"

The Sound mentor rolled her eyes, but nodded. Lyra and Octavia set to unpacking their instruments, and the other mentors and apprentices perked up.

"June," Florina whispered, "these are all common songs, so you should know the words. Sing along if you think you can, but don't overshadow Bop. She's been having some difficulties lately."

Red June nodded, trotting over to the other apprentices. A small cacophony set up as the three instrumentalists made sure their tuning was right, and then the gentle hush followed.

Bee Bop puffed out her chest, wings fluttering, as Fiddlesticks started into a basic tune; the Heart Carol. The other two instruments joined in, an odd but melodic combination.

"The fire of friendship lives in our hearts, as long as it burns we cannot drift apart!"

Red June snorted in surprise at the filly's voice; it was incredibly resounding, striking something deep that she didn't know she had. She didn't know exactly what it was, either, but the way the filly's voice melded with the instruments was too perfect to keep her fretting.

"Though quarrels arise, their numbers are few, laughter and singing will see us through!"

June muttered out a soft 'see us through' with the other foals.

"We are a circle of pony friends, a circle of friends we'll be to the very end!"

The instruments fell silent as Bee Bop yelped in surprise. She spun excitedly, grinning at her flank. A small lyre, similar to the one on Lyra's flank, glittered softly as it set in. "I got my Cutie Mark!"

The others set in with a round of gentle applause and congratulations. Red June backed up into the shadow of the trees, flattening her ears against the world.

"You're nothing but a freak."

"Stay away from me!"

"Are you alright?"

Red June yelped as she snapped out of her daydream, calming down enough to recognize Shady Daze. The colt's blue-banded navy mane hung over one eye as he recoiled.

"I'm fine." June muttered.

"You... you know, she's the first of us to get a Cutie Mark." He seemed to struggle with small talk, so she didn't interrupt, "most of us have been here for a while. but we never seem to get our Cutie Marks in our Elements. At least, not in our normal practices."

"Bee Bop just did."

He frowned, "I know that! But we've done hundreds of these practices, and she only got her Mark now. She needs an ensemble, not just a partner. Most of us are like that."

"How do you practice? Making shadow demons or something?"

Shady went quiet, scuffing at the ground.

The two sat in awkward silence.

Shady Daze stood up, trotting towards his mentor. "I guess I'll see you at dinner."

"Same."

Florina trotted over, ushering Red back the way they had came. "Sorry you only got to join in with Sound, but Night says Shady's kind of out of it, and Silverwing needs them to train his Element, so they can't do anything today. Looks like we'll be cutting our visits down to the studio, and then I can do everything else on my own."

"The studio?"

"Well, maybe I'll drag you along for the groceries."

-----

"Spectrum!"

Red June wormed around Florina's legs as the mare held the door open. The hallway they had entered looked as if some insane cloud had vomited rainbows in a very artistic and not-at-all-tacky way all over. Spectrum stepped out from a door down the hall, yellow paint flecking his gray mane.

"Florina, June! You're running late!"

"Of course we are!" Florina shouted back, closing the door. "Have you even met me?!"

"Good point." He laughed, waving them in. "Come on! I decided the den needed a makeover."

Red June trailed Florina as the mare led her down the hall, past Spectrum, and into the small room that he had indicated. It was a earth-toned room, dull browns and reds, and a stuffed bookshelf lined one wall. Small pieces of paper were stuck to the other one, which Spectrum quickly moved in front of before she could see what they contained.

"You see, June, not all Elementals can do such flashy things like fire and earth. Color Elementals are very subtle, most of the time, like Sound." He nodded to the room. "This room has looked like this since I moved her, and I figured I should change it up at some point."

"Don'cha have to cover all the furniture to keep from messin' it up?"

"Most of the time," he agreed. "But I can control my powers well enough. The paint I'm wearing is from a different project."

Florina rolled her eyes. "She's not your apprentice."

"I suppose not." He sighed, lifting a hoof. A dark pigment began gathering around his hoof, shimmering like magic but slick like water, and he shivered as it began dripping. Without further ceremony, he stomped his hoof on the ground. The room changed from brown and burgundy to sky blue and white in a flash.

Red June gaped at the room, the transformation having taken mere moments. The atmosphere of the room had changed completely; instead of seeming small and homely, it was large and bright, calm and welcoming.

Spectrum scuffed his hoof on the carpet, the remaining liquid paling to a matching white as it left his fur. "And that," he concluded, "is the power of Color."

Florina grinned down at her apprentice. "So, are you ready to embrace your power?"

-----

A dark olive pony hissed as she saw the foal nodding. The window grew over with vines as her anger grew, and she backed away from the house. "One day," she mare growled to herself, "I'll show her what it really means to be powerful."

The ground opened up, and she was gone.

Comments ( 27 )

2562713

They aren't original characters, actually! They've all shown up in the show!

Lars #3 · May 11th, 2013 · · 2 ·

How the hell? 15 likes, 2 dislikes, less than 40 views, and somehow featured above FOUR fanifcs with much more views and favorites, higher word counts, and a better like-dislike ratio?

EXPLAIN!

2563060
Well, not all stories can fit everypony's tastes. I only came here to read the description to see if it was the kind of story I would like. Unfortunately, I felt like I've already read a similar fan fiction like this that wasn't MLP.:applejackunsure:

2563060

I believe it's the time span. There's a three day limit on featuring, and since this was posted today it'll be above those posted, say, Thursday.

2563060

Actually, apparently faving is the main factor in the popularity list.

dear god, TF2 reference

scout: imma force a nature

hmmm, why is Florina not a Pegasus. (reference)

2565463

I accidentally made a TF2 reference? :rainbowderp: I've never even played it! :rainbowlaugh:

I was going through the Wiki one day, and I saw Red June. She's adorable! I'm glad someone made a story about her. Thumbed and faved.

2566837

Oh, never worry about pointing out my errors! I tend to miss them because I really only ever do one quick read-over.

And give me one minute and I'll get those pictures.

2566837
Florina:
images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121231045444/mlp/images/thumb/4/42/Green_and_pink_apple_blossoms_mare_s03e08.png/150px-Green_and_pink_apple_blossoms_mare_s03e08.png
Red June:
images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121231043460/mlp/images/thumb/c/c6/Red_and_green_Apple_cousin_s03e08.png/150px-Red_and_green_Apple_cousin_s03e08.png
Spectrum:
images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120416013934/mlp/images/thumb/b/b9/Spectrum_Earth_pony_s02e15.png/100px-Spectrum_Earth_pony_s02e15.png
Royal Blue (not really mentioned yet):
images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110825202654/mlp/images/thumb/e/ea/Royal_Blue.png/150px-Royal_Blue.png
Airheart:
images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120326185026/mlp/images/1/16/Purple_cloud_pegasus_mare_s02e22.png
Tornado Bolt:
images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110825202839/mlp/images/thumb/1/15/Tornado_Bolt_id_S1E12.png/150px-Tornado_Bolt_id_S1E12.png
Electric Blue:
images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130204001157/mlp/images/thumb/7/7b/Firefly_S1E11.png/150px-Firefly_S1E11.png
Grace Lightning:
images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111216012639/mlp/images/7/74/Flash.png
Burnt Oak:
images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111104214714/mlp/images/f/f6/Burnt_oak_id.png
Firelock:
images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120515034213/mlp/images/thumb/c/cc/Orange_red_unicorn_filly_s02e23.png/150px-Orange_red_unicorn_filly_s02e23.png
Silverwing:
images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120325033410/mlp/images/thumb/5/5e/Gray_blue_pegasus_stallion_s02e22.png/150px-Gray_blue_pegasus_stallion_s02e22.png
Sun Glimmer:
images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110909211606/mlp/images/thumb/a/a1/Sun_Glimmer1.png/150px-Sun_Glimmer1.png
Night Shade:
images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110714111158/mlp/images/thumb/9/92/Rhytm_unicorn.PNG/150px-Rhytm_unicorn.PNG
Shady Daze:
images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120204083934/mlp/images/thumb/d/d3/Blue_colt_looking_at_looptihoop_S2E06.png/150px-Blue_colt_looking_at_looptihoop_S2E06.png
Fiddlesticks:
images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121223005648/mlp/images/thumb/2/29/Fiddle_playing_pony_S3E08.PNG/150px-Fiddle_playing_pony_S3E08.PNG
Bee Bop:
images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110825201846/mlp/images/thumb/b/bd/Harpica.png/150px-Harpica.png
Sea Spray:
images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121210214821/mlp/images/1/18/S03E05_Unicorn_Mare_1.png
Cotton Cloudy:
images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110825192545/mlp/images/thumb/3/34/Cotton_Cloudy.png/150px-Cotton_Cloudy.png
Nana Knits:
images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110228042005/mlp/images/thumb/e/ea/Old_Pegasus_pony_with_a_yarn_cutie_mark_S1E16.png/150px-Old_Pegasus_pony_with_a_yarn_cutie_mark_S1E16.png

Fiddlesticks being a main character is temptation enough for me to want to read this, but its incomplete status is daunting. How many chapters do you anticipate?

2566996

Hm, probably close to ten. Or, since I'm bad at estimating fifteen. Not super-long.

Err... This was just added to a group clop fics folder, but the rating is everyone. One of those has got to be incorrect.

2567435

I didn't know it was clop. :rainbowwild:

2567901

It's the clopfic group... It's fairly obvious XD

2567915

I meant my story! :rainbowlaugh: I'm not good at humor

I'm just impressed with how many names you came up with.

2570830

They were all on the wiki.

'Forces of Nature'
First thing that comes to mind...
"Need a dispenser here! Need a dispenser here! Need a dispenser here! Need a dispenser here! Need a dispenser here! Need a dispenser here! Need a dispenser here! Need a dispenser here! Need a dispenser here! Need a dispenser here! Need a dispenser here! Need a dispenser here!"
EeNope(.avi)

Uuuh this is reeaal good :pinkiehappy: update soon pleeeeease?:fluttercry::pinkiesad2:

:moustache: and you deserve a moustache :pinkiehappy:

So far it's reminding me of Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters. I'm liking it.

PLEASE CONTINUE THIS. PLEASE. :fluttercry:

This story fascinates me. I am in love with this scenario, adult ponies and foals with elemental superpowers who have to learn controlling them, a scenario similar to "X-Men" and like a ponified version of it, but not focusing on action and superhero fights, instead on emotions and the inner workings of a group of ponies with super powers and how society views them.
I especially love the role of Firelock here, her past and the relationship you have started to build up between her and Red June. You left open whether Firelock forgave Red June or if she hates her now after the end of Chapter 2 when she watched Red June through the window of her room, so will they become friends because of a similar past in which both of them lost their family? Or will they be enemies? Will Firelock get over what Red June said and make peace with her and bond with her because of their shared past experiences or will she become a bitter enemy of Red June who tries to kill her at every opportunity?
There is especially a lot of potential with their respective superpowers; Red June is able to grow plants at a rapid speed, Firelock can ignite objects and living beings by just a look from her eyes and cast fire everywhere she wants, which burns plants, so if she and Red June should become enemies, Firelock will have a natural advantage over Red June.
You leave room for so many possibilities what could happen between Red June and Firelock here, there is lots that can happen between these two fillies.
And Firelock can't control her powers yet and she has tendency to become aggressive and even attacks other ponies with her fire if she gets angry, that spells a lot of potential disaster for the future. Red June seems to be the central character of this story, but I find myself the most invested in Firelock.
I also think this story is way better than you give yourself credit for. The chapters are short, yes, but you manage to convey so many feelings by writing very intense and gripping scenes. The encounter between Red June and Firelock is the best example for that, you convey so much with it and with the following talk between Red June and Florina, this does a perfect job of setting up the relationship between Firelock and Red June and leaves lots of possibilities where it can go from there.
The very beginning of the story happens a little fast, when we see Red June so suddenly in Ponyville Elementary without knowing how she got there and get that explained in a few short paragraphs later on, this could and should be drawn out more, but the encounter between Red June and Firelock is perfect. I would change nothing about this scene.
I am not an advocate for short chapters, but I think this story is proof for it that even very short stories can be brilliant, if the right words are used in the right way.
The sheer number of background ponies you bring together in a meaningful story, even though you haven't gotten far enough so that we see them all in it, is also impressive. This is the exact kind of story that background ponies, and especially background foals, deserve and of which there should be many more of.
It's a pity that you cancelled the story and don't intend to continue it, but I appreciate what is there and I can always continue the story myself in my thoughts with the first three chapters and what you established in them. I would even love to continue it myself one day, once I know all of these background ponies a lot better than I do now and once my writing has gotten good enough for me to handle a story of that magnitude. Maybe one day, this story will continue.

2562713 2570830

These ponies are not OC ponies.

Login or register to comment