• Published 22nd Mar 2013
  • 845 Views, 11 Comments

Origins of Derpy - Scourgeous



Derpy's life takes a drastic turn when her fake personality is stripped away to reveal the pony beneath her, and fuels her to find out who her real parents are.

  • ...
1
 11
 845

Spirits on My Shoulders

Derpy folded her front hooves and leaned over the edge of the balloon, staring out into the eerie, darkening blue. Doctor Whooves constantly monitored the flame and the direction, goggles pulled down over his eyes. Her tail swished ever so often as she stared dreamily out into the world. She'd never stopped to admire the beauty of the open skies, the light of the sunset far down on the horizon.

"You sound like you've had quite the rough life, Miss Hooves." He said suddenly, turning to face her.

She smirked. "Yeah. Enough about me, how about you, Mr Whooves." She teased, giggling at the two resembling names.

"Me? I just travel. Always have, always will."

She stared at him for a long time, knowing that there was obviously more to his life that he wasn't in the mood to share with her. Shrugging, she turned away, back to the clouds whirling beneath them, and the wind swirling past. She could see Canterlot in the distance, and Ponyville bobbing beneath them. She yawned, resting her head on her hooves.

"I wonder if Carrot Top will miss me..." What fun was she anyway? Derpy coughed, shaking her head violently. She hated when that dark voice entered her head. She narrowed her eyes rubbing the sides of her head.

Ignore him. Seriously, he's just trying to meddle with you head, love. She raised her head abruptly at the soft new voice.

Who are you? Who is he? She hissed, feeling crazy for talking back to the voices in her head.

There was a sinister chuckle, and it sounded almost as if it was beside her, rather than on the inside. You'll find out soon enough. Listen to me, and you'll find your parents.

He's lying! Listen to me, and you will truly find them.

Hah! She wouldn't help you find them. She doesn't even want you to find them!

Derpy screeched and whirled around. "Shut up! I'm not listening to either of you!"

She screamed and stomped her hooves on the basket floor, causing the balloon to jerk around. Doctor Whooves turned to face her with wide eyes, ears flat back against his head. He stepped carefully towards her, eyes searching her expression. She stared up at him, gritting her teeth, head throbbing with an unbearable pain. Concern flooded his gaze, but her glower told him to keep quiet.

She slumped against the edge, panting and taking gasping breaths. She writhed around as if in pain, but she felt completely healthy. It felt like something within her was stirring, waking up. A pony inside was opening it's eyes from a long hibernation, and was about to take control.

"Are you okay, Derpy?" Doctor said, leaning forward.

She stared up at him with watery eyes. "Something is happening to me. Why today? On the day that note was read to me..."

He crouched down beside her, constantly raising his head to make sure the balloon stayed on track. "Just focus on breathing calmly. We're almost there, then I can take you to the nurse."

"No!" She spluttered, spittle flying from her mouth as she wriggled around, trying to get her hooves in order. "I don't need a nurse! I'm perfectly fine!"

A long groan escaped her as she rose upwards, swaying sickly with the movement of the balloon. She leaned over the edge and took a sharp breath of the cold air, seeing Canterlot steadily grow larger below. Doctor rushed past her and turned down the heat of the flame a little, then began to steer them clearly to the side of the city.

"Something is wrong, and I have to get you somewhere safe." He persisted, and the balloon jolted suddenly as the basket skid on the grass.

Derpy staggered into the side, eyes on the deflating balloon as it folded down over them. She groggily grabbed one of the sacks and heaved it over the edge to land heavily on the ground. She clambered out and lay beside it, her head whirling. She felt like the more she blocked out the voices, the more they fought in her head and tried to break in.

There was a sudden blast of magic, and a plume of smoke, then a rolled up scroll landed beside her. Doctor Whooves scrabbled out and reached for it, but she snatched it away, clenching it in her hoof. Straightening up, the pain in her head clearing, she unrolled it and pinned the edges down against the ground.

"Dear Derpy Hooves,
Please make your way to my castle in Canterlot. I must speak with you urgently. There is no time to waste. You must come here at all costs.
Princess Celestia."

She lifted her hooves away, and the paper rolled back up. Glancing at Doctor Whooves, she took a short, sharp breath. The Princess was probably going to tell her who her parents were. Or tell her that her parents had moved far away to Manehatten or something along the lines. But the Princess sounded very urgent, as if what she had to tell Derpy was a matter of life and death.

"I need to see the Princess." She said, eyes glowing with determination.

Doctor blinked, retying his scarf around his neck. "Is that so? Well, I need to stock up on supplies, and you need to see the doctor."

"You are the doctor," She smirked, trotting up to him and leaning against his shoulder, staring up into his eyes. "Pretty please can you come with me? She said that I had to come to her immediately!"

He stared down at her, amusement glowing in his blue eyes. The warmth on his face made her tingle all over. Never had she had anypony stare at her in such a way. A way that held no coldness or spite, judgement and cruelty. Carrot Top just showed regular friendliness, but the connection she shared with Doctor Whooves made her spark inside.

He finally sighed, giving in to her golden gaze. "Fine. But can we make it quick? At least you are feeling better."

She brushed her fur against his, making a warm humming noise in her throat. "Thank you so much! This means a lot to me. I need to find out the truth about my parents, whether it is something I want to hear or not."

He grinned, eyes and smile sparkling together. "Well, what are we waiting for? Let's go!"

She squealed with delight, thundering ahead towards the city, giggling and glancing over her shoulder as he followed on her tail. Darting through the buildings, she steadily made haste for the castle. She could see it gleaming on the side of the mountain in all of it's glory. With a yell of delight, she sped up, ignoring the grunt of annoyance from Doctor Whooves as she sped on.

"Slow down!" He hollered as they skid around the corner.

"I have no time to slow down!" She smiled. "Come on, Canterlot Gardens!"

She hurried to take a shortcut through the gardens, bouncing down the steps and through the paths between the bushes and flowers. She almost lost Doctor behind her, but he steadily kept up, following her maneuvers through the winding trees. She suddenly skid to a halt, and Doctor Whooves went running past, trying to slow down when he saw her stop.

Her eyes slowly trailed up the stone base where a statue had once stood, a smooth white block imbedded in the ground, a pale dusty plaque on the front. She stepped forward very slowly and drew her hooves over the smooth top, small rough indents on the surface where the statue's feet had stood. Her heart raced in her chest as she stared around, looking for the creature captured in stone, as if she expected it to be lying somewhere in the gardens.

"Derpy?" Doctor pressed. "I thought you said Celestia really needed to see you."

"But..." She couldn't bring herself to say anymore, her throat suddenly dry and rough as sand. She just waved her hooves at the base, eyes glowing with terror. He glanced at it, then back at her, one eyebrow raised. His jaw dropped a little, eyes widening. He recognized as well as she had what was missing, something that had been there for a long time now. Discord.

Author's Note:

The whole story will be edited at the end. :)

Comments ( 4 )

2305713

:pinkiegasp: Thank you for pointing that out! Can't believe I put that.

Cancelled?!?!

Login or register to comment