• Published 2nd Mar 2013
  • 611 Views, 9 Comments

Reflections - Kage no Brony



What happens when everything isn't as it seems?

  • ...
1
 9
 611

Reflections

I trot through the curved arch, and look upon the crowd. My subjects. The ponies I once would once have called mine. I suppose not anymore. They hate me now, I can feel it filling the air, so thick as to be tangible. It's difficult to press through the overwhelming force, but I must.

How did it come to this, you might ask, that the once beloved ruler is now a prisoner in her own home, that her subjects refuse her the mercy she showed them every day? Well, it all started with a single white lie, nine hundred ninety seven years before...

But I suppose I should start from the beginning, from the events leading up to the lie. The unfortunate, necessary events. It all started about one thousand and fifty years prior, what these ponies knew as the end of the Reign of Chaos. If only they knew the whole story...

But I can't blame her for that. It wouldn't help anything if they knew; It wouldn't help her sister... my sister. Glancing over, I can tell she's struggling between sympathy and anger. I don't know how I could have messed this up so badly.

One thousand and fifty years ago... Discord was on his last few weeks of freedom, not that he knew it yet. She and her sister rose against him with the power of the Elements of Harmony. He was petrified, in the most literal of senses. They believed they had won, that the war was over. I can't help but wish they were right.

I wasn't there, but I can safely assume the battle hadn't been one sided, the godlike beings trading blows like a cosmic fistfight. Perhaps it was, in a sense. But they emerged victorious, or so they believed. Forty years later, her sister began distancing herself from her. From everypony. Ten years after that, she was forced to banish her sister, whom had turned against her. Turns out Discord had left a little something, a parting gift, if you will. On any other, it would have taken effect right away, but her sister held it at bay. It took fifty years, but it finally broke through.

Crushed and in conflict with herself, she took refuge in the gardens. I suppose it was lucky, for there she found Discord was freed. With one bearer incapacitated and the other in conflict, the seal had weakened. It was his plan all along; it just took longer than he thought it would.

They fought. Viciously. I witnessed it all, the shock and horror that he'd planned her sister's fall from grace, the sizzling bolts of magic whipping at their bodies... it was terrible, yet I found I couldn't stop watching. And then, silence. She had managed to use the Elements to freeze him, just as he was preparing to finish her off. Always the dramatic one, Discord insisted on giving a monologue. The way he stood then, frozen in mid-speech.

But while he had years to heal, she didn't. Her wounds proved too powerful, or maybe she just couldn't go on, having banished her sister for the sick game of a twisted soul. But she saw me. She asked me, no, she begged me, to take her form and watch over the ponies she cared so deeply for. I still wonder what would have happened if I had said no. Would she have remained among the living, her duty anchoring her soul to this earth? Or would the ponies have been leaderless in their time of need?

I didn't say no, though. I couldn't. I could feel the love she had for her ponies, and it was irresistible. I took her form, took her place. I'd always promised myself it would only be until her sister returned, but I guess life doesn't work that way. I wondered, afterward, why Discord's prison remained as it was. Over the years I believe she fused a piece of herself to the elements. It wouldn't surprise me if she had.

But I was unable to make use of the Elements. Honesty was always beyond me. I would always have this facade, this white lie, preventing me from them. It was just as well that the Elements weren't necessary, not for over nine hundred years. For nine hundred and ninety seven years, I crafted as close to an utopia individual beings could get. And then the betrayed and broken sister threatened to return. I couldn't use the Elements, so I found someone who could. Twilight.

It wasn't that I was using her, not exactly. I needed somepony who could wield the elements, but I always took time to spend with her. She was as close to a daughter as I could have gotten. I just hope this won't chase her away. She performed admirably, she really did. When I heard her story, I knew, I just knew, Celestia had used the last of her being to finish the work Twilight started.

And then, almost a year later, Discord broke free again. But this time, he found himself outmatched. Twilight proved herself again, and I couldn't have been more proud. Of her, of her friends, and of everything I've created in this time. But now, now that honesty has shattered my facade, as benign as it was, it's all tainted.

It's ironic, in some ways. Discord's reign lasted almost a millennium, and so has mine. Monster and mother, equal and opposite. It occurs to me now, though, that I have lied yet again. I know how it came to this. I watched it happen.

It was my, no, her niece's wedding. I had felt the connection between her niece and the captain of my guard for awhile before. They were perfect for each other, really, the princess and her knight. But then, Chrysalis and her changlings infiltrated the palace. I tried to warn my ponies, really I did. I gave an anonymous tip to the guard. How could I have explained what I knew without breaking my own mask?

And then Twilight sees through the imposter. But my hooves were tied again. I should have listened to her, really. But I was afraid. I was afraid of this, all that is happening. I can only hope Luna can handle taking her rightful place as Queen.

But then Twilight does what I couldn't. She rescues the true Cadence and interrupts the ceremony. Bested, Chrysalis drops her act, and I fought her. I could have flattened her. I had the love and dedication of an entire country. I could change the color of my magic at will, but I was weak. I couldn't fault her for trying to take care of her children. That is what a drone is, our children.

In my distracted state, she bested me. That should have been my first warning that everything was falling apart. I almost wish I had heeded it. In the end, Twilight came through. For all of us. She freed Cadence while Chrysalis was distracted, while her guard was down. And Cadence rescued her fiance from Chrysalis' control.

Finally, the two combined their magic to drive all the changlings away. The shield they formed knocked me into a wall and disrupted my disguise. For the first time in centuries, I was myself. They took me into custody, which isn't surprising considering the threat they had just faced. Luna performed the ceremony, and the married couple tarried just long enough to hear my story. And now, I'm waiting here, looking into this crowd, hoping against impossible odds that they might accept me.

And so, I begin my story again, for the last time.

Author's Note:

Well, looks like I'll finish a story after all!

This was just an idea I got form the comments on a story I was reading. I actually don't remember which one now, though. Makes for a decent short story.

Comments ( 9 )

This certainly was interesting. I like what you did here. I don't know if it's because of the fact that it's three in the morning and I'm half-asleep, but this really managed to catch my attention and, I must say, it was a good thing.

A pleasant read, all in all, but oh so short.

2199148

Yeah, it was just a quick idea that I'd been mulling over, and I decided to write it down. I'm glad you like it.

Well the style was pleasant. The premise... was WAY too familiar with my own story so I got the shivers. How you can really distinguish yourself is by continuing this story. It was also too short :P

3032605

I have ideas for continuations, but so far what I have written is even shorter than this in length (by more than 1000 words), and is therefore unacceptable. (After all, this is barely long enough to be a one-shot as it is.)

Perhaps someday it will be ready. But not today.

That was a refreshing piece; the love, devotion, regret spun into the tale makes it a fine read.

I had originally written a much longer critique, but as the story idea has been explored (which I discovered a bit too late), I'll just leave with this: One, Changelings. Two, flashbacks or backstories, when told, not shown, become a dangerous crutch. Three, be sure to mull over your ideas beforehand, to ensure there are no plot holes or OOC Syndromes requiring setups. But more importantly, mull over your ideas to ensure you are not hopping over half-buried gemstones. This was where most of my now obsolete critique went. Four, "a utopia." It's based on sound, not spelling, and this is a case of the "y" consonant (a eulogy, a university). Seems anal-retentive? That's what I first thought, too.

Five, vary your sentences. I am referring to sentence lengths and to the use of 'And' or 'But' in beginning sentences. The former might be excusable—Hemingway did fine—but the latter, not so much, please. Short sentences (like all types of sentences, whatever they were), tend to lose their power when overused. Hemingway did fine.

If you believe, however, that I perceived this story negatively based on the size of my praise versus the size of my critique, then you are wrong. Consider again the purpose. If an author is doing something right, there's little need to expound; conversely, if an author is doing something wrong, there is every need to expound and to assist. Above all else, remember that even grammar is subjective. Don't take this harshly.

Authors win ties, after all.

Please excuse me whilst I read your other stories.

3108163

Before I reply, let me thank you for your criticisms. I know I have some learning to do.

Now, for your first point... D'oh. I totally know that, but it's a knee-jerk reaction to type it without the "e". Which annoys me greatly.

Second point, I'm not intending to make a habit out of this kind of writing, it was mainly an experiment to see if I could make something out of it. Judging by the response, it seems I can.

Your third is the most bothersome to me. Would you overly mind sending a PM with some examples of plot holes, OOC syndromes, and/or buried gemstones? Your entire critique (if you still have it, that is) would be acceptable, too.

Number four... Huh. I always believed that if the word starts with a vowel, it's "an"... Thanks for pointing that out.

Five... I will keep that in mind.

In closing, I understand. Very few words are needed to express appreciation, while many are necessary to point out flaws.

This is a wonderful story. :twilightsmile:

Have you by any chance remembered the name of the story that inspired this? I'd like to see that

9292154

It's been years, so unfortunately not right off hand. Sorry...

Login or register to comment