• Published 31st Dec 2012
  • 2,308 Views, 19 Comments

Cry Changeling - Qyndox



Changelings are feared around equestria. However what no pony knows is that a group of outcasts live right under their noses and try to blend in with the crowd, but can a changeling ever really change it's shell?

  • ...
3
 19
 2,308

Mission Accomplished

Gust Storm carefully flew through the clouds, being extremely alert, and glancing around every few seconds. His bright blue eyes were clouded with anxiety. He slowly descended to see if he was any closer to Timber Wolf Lane. He saw that he already passed it and groaned. He turned around and began flying in that the other direction.

He started to feel less nervous until he heard a noise. I sounded like the flapping of ...... pegasus wings! Gust Storm furiously looked around but saw no being besides himself in the skies. The anxiety he locked away was now resurfacing and bubbling like crazy. The steady noise of flapping wings grew louder and he started to panic. He was barely keeping a straight path now as he was darting back and forth.

Somehow, he was biting his lips with his long fangs nervously. Not thinking of the consequences or risks, he sped up rapidly, his heart beating even faster. The flapping wouldn't stop however, and his bottled up anxiety and he screamed, not loudly, but still a scream. He rushed away from the clouds and shot downwards. He couldn't even stop now, he was out of control. His body was moving based on his panic and fear.

However his body was smart enough to not crash into the ground. He stopped inches before the cobblestone street. Then he dropped like a bowling ball. His face smashed into the hard, cruel stone. He swore that one of his fangs were chipped. He gently rubbed his now bruised cheek. That was going to be sore in the morning. His entire body was covered in bruises. Luckily they were only noticeable if you looked carefully.

Panic took control of him again and he glanced around and up, before rushing up the streets towards the alleyway. He ducked into it and rushed up the stairs. Gust Storm pounded his hooves against the door five times showing his desperate need to get inside. One of the changeling's eyes peeked through and opened the door, after unlocking all the locks, quickly.

He literally leaped into the room all eyes turned to him. Throbbing Horn narrowed his eyes.

He walked up to him and sternly demanded, "What happened." Gust Storm gathered himself and told him about his said "encounter".

Throbbing Horn was furious but also glad they had this information now. He told all changelings to avoid the elements of harmony. No changeling was to go out alone or near the Canterlot Castle.

"Now everyling get their rest, tomorrow we need to be on alert."

With a collective nod and hiss in approval all the changelings started laying down or seeking a new spot to sleep on. Zipper groggily laid down next to Spark Wing who had placed herself on three extremely soft pillows. As his head felt the silky fabric of the cushion, his eyes drooped and she scooted her head even closer to his own. He drifted off with happy feelings.

~*~

"Princess Celestia, is there a specific reason why you called us here so urgently?" Twilight asked as they started following Celestia to who knows where.

"Yes actually. Have you seen the recent news from Canterlot?" She inquired to her student.

"Well no, but- I mean, I never really was interested in those newspapers, but if you want me to research them I will-...oh no, you told me to do so in advance didn't you? I must have totally forgotten, as Spike and me were really busy this past week with reorganizing the new Star Swirl the Bearded section of our library! No, no, no, no! I'm always prepared, well except for the Crystal Empire incident, but-"

Twilight's worry and speak was stopped by Celestia's white hoof gently placed on her mouth. The Alicorn spoke calmly compared to her panicked student.

"Do not worry yourself Twilight, I was not asking so much of you. I was just wondering." With that she removed her hoof from Twilight's mouth.

"Like I was saying, if you had read the news, which I never asked you to, you would have noticed the recent riots at the Canterlot Creature Research Center. Some royal guards had discovered some changeling eggs in the Canterlot caverns soon after the invasion as most ponies were at a certain wedding-" She paused to wink, which they all got. "-yet I never got the chance to actually see them myself. I knew you probably would want to study as much as those scientists will allow you to-"

"I'd love to princess!" Twilight squealed in delight. Her friends and Spike rolled their eyes. She nodded and motioned for them to crowd two carriages. Rainbow Dash, Applejack, Fluttershy and Rarity crowded one, while Twilight, Spike, Pinkie Pie, and Princess Celestia went and sat in the other.

The rest of their flight they chatted casually until they reached land. They all got off and started walking toward their destination.

"It should be just around this corn-" Celestia stopped her sentence dead in its tracks. Her eyes were wide and her pupils tiny. The others followed her gaze until their eyes matched. Some of them had wide open mouths as well.
In front of them was the Research Center. In flames with chemicals leaking out and smoke piling from it. Ponies outside were screaming and running around crazily, ignoring the Royal Guards who were attempting to calm them. Many fireponies were working at the flames with their hoses while some scientists were outside in medical stretchers or just in shock. Applejack was the first to speak,

"What in tarnation?"

With that the eight rushed to the scene. Celestia was going to question the guards while she told the others to help as they could. Rainbow Dash and Applejack helped ponies trapped under the rubble. Fluttershy was currently fussing over all the injured animals that they had there, with Spike assisting her. Pinkie was trying to get some of the hot chocolate that they were giving to the ponies. Rarity was complaining that the medical tents had too many reoccurring color schemes. Meanwhile Twilight had met up with Celestia to question some of the scientists. They entered one of the tents.

She decided to walk up to a green coated unicorn mare who was on a stretcher as she had a twisted ankle. She looked up to them. She tried bowing to the princess but failed and it ended up looking like a nod.
"Hello, could we ask you some questions?" She asked the mare.

"Of course. I guess it started with me and a friend of mine, Honey Comb, checking on some manticore cubs when we heard something at the front. We rushed over there of course. Apparently two ponies had started up a really bad riot. It was even more worse than the previous ones. Pretty much all the scientists were at the front trying to calm them, but then they started throwing things at us." She paused to see their expressions. She quickly added,

"Just ordinary things such as eggs, toilet paper, but they also started using bricks at one point. We just couldn't control them, but then that's when the chaos started. Something blew up the entire left wing and there were explosive chemicals there, so the fire spread to the rest of the building. Not only that but the security was breached. I alone went to see who was caught on tape, but then something jumped me. I didn't get a good look but I know it was a light blue unicorn mare and that she had taken something from the laboratories. She was quite the strong mare too, she knocked me out before running into Honey Comb. He told me, before he fainted, that she was definitely carrying something but she really did a number on him. He's still in a coma.."

"Thank you for your time Miss.."

"Electric Guitar."

"Yes, thank you Miss Guitar. Twilight, shall we go?" Twilight nodded and they both exited the tent.

~*~

Looking over at the wreckage and ponies from behind a brick wall, Throbbing Horn narrowed his eyes. In a burst of green fire, he reverted from a Pegasus to his changeling form. He flew off back to the abandoned apartment and carefully snuck in. He made sure no one saw him and he laid down on an arm chair that wasn't occupied.

~*~

The next morning proved uneventful, except for Twilight and her friends. "The real reason I brought you all here was to help search and rid Canterlot of any and all changelings that may still be here." Celestia told the seven.

"But Princess, I thought all the changelings were expelled by Shining Armor and Cadence's spell!" Twilight exclaimed.

"I thought so too, but due to recent events and this-" She stopped to show them that day's newspapers. It read: CHANGELING EGGS STOLEN FROM LAB! A collective gasp was heard from all of them excluding the princess.
" I suspect some changelings are still hidden."

It was Rainbow Dash who spoke this time. "How can they be here if the spell blasted them to the borders of Equestria?"

"I assume they came after all the changeling fear was mostly diminished, as it was possible since both the seven of you and Cadence and Shining Armor were busy at the Crystal Empire, so-"

Applejack realized and said, "That left an opening for them to jump right in!"

Twilight's eyes widened in realization as well and said, "Princess, what should we do? Should I cast another spell to get rid of any left over changelings or possible spies! Or maybe just a spell to expose them so we can interrogate any remaining ones?"

"Actually I want you seven to do undercover work, not public at all. A rumor that changelings are in Canterlot will cause panic and you will most likely get the best results from private information. I will give you each assignments and areas to cover. Twilight I want you to investigate the Research Center and question the ponies there that night. Fluttershy, you will assist her, when that's done Twilight, you will return to me for the next instructions and Fluttershy will join Pinkie Pie in her search, which by the way will be checking abandoned buildings for any hiding changelings." Pinkie Pie nodded in understanding.

"Now you three go on." Celestia paused to allow the said three to start their assignments. Pinkie bounced, Twilight galloped and Fluttershy cowardly walked to start their missions. Turning to the others she continued, "As for Rainbow Dash, you will...."
That was all Twilight heard as they exited the castle and began to accomplish their goals.

After saying goodbye to Pinkie, the unicorn and pegasus made their way back to the research center.

~*~

As pinkie began happily hopping toward an abandoned factory at the end of the street, she spotted something. No somePONY. A light blue unicorn that looked like a teenmareger. She was glancing around suspiciously and then made her nervous way toward the direction of the...Research Center? All of a sudden her tail was twitchy, her hoof was itchy and her nose was dripping. She smiled evilly.

"Gotcha miss super-spying pants!" As she followed the mare secretly inching toward where Twilight and Fluttershy were.

~*~

When Throbbing Horn told her the mission he was reluctant but she was excited. Her goal, eliminate Electric Guitar before she remembers who attacked her and get out before anypony notices.

She took her usual pony disguise; A light blue unicorn mare with a blonde mane and a pine tree cutie mark. She would change that after the mission. After leaving the base, she calmly walked through the market crowds in attempt to get to the center. Well as calmly as she could. Most changelings hated crowds when they were disguised because it made them naturally nervous of being exposed and they didn't like being so close to other ponies.

She took a deep breath and almost choked on her own air. She had seen a pink pony carefully following her, not just a normal pony, but one of the elements. She was onto her and she needed to lose her. She started running as if she "suspected" she was being followed and Pinkie took the bait. The idea was to confuse the pink mare and lose in in the crowds, however, it did not turn out the way she thought it would. She ran under a peace of furniture some workers were hauling through the crowd and Pinkie jumped over it. She pushed past people as if panicked and Pinkie jumped through them. She even crashed into a two windows while going through a house and Pinkie followed soon after.

She was actually catching up to her! She quickened her pace and made a break for the center which was now in sight. She ran around corners, jumped onto roofs and ponies but Pinkie was still catching up with her.

As her hooves met the cobblestone ground in front of the Research Center, she jumped through the lobby doors since the explosions that she caused yesterday only took the left wing while everything else was only damaged a little. She ran past the pony at the front who yelled for her to stop and made her way to a certain unicorn who was in one of the rooms. She stopped at a hallway. Now she just needed to figure out which door she was behind...

~*~

"So you don't have anymore information for us Electric Guitar?" Twilight asked the mare who was currently writing observations of the Hydra scales.

"Sorry but I already told you everything I know and the security footage was stolen last night." She answered.

"Alright. Fluttershy let's go." She turned to face the said pony who was cuddling a manticore cub. "Okay Twilight."
She put the cub back in its pen and they both thanked Guitar for her time.

As they left the room, a blue mare ran past them almost running into them. "Hey be careful!" The pony stopped and glared at them only to change the said expression into fear as she realized who they were. But she then saw a glimpse of the mare she was looking for in the room they exited, she quickly smiled and said, "Oh sorry, but thanks for stopping by and be sure to visit again!" The strange unicorn pushed them out of the hallway and right into the lobby where a pink pony was running at a very high speed and couldn't stop.

Well let's just say that Twilight could barely keep herself from spinning around dizzily.
"Pinkie! What are you doing! All of you!" She yelled at what seemed to be three pinkie pies in front of her. Pinkie slowly got off of the two that she had just crashed into.

"Oh hey Twilight, Fluttershy. Guess what? I finally found the miss spy-" Pinkie paused. "..Oh my gosh! Where is she? Which way did she go!" She frantically looked around for the unicorn mare.

"Who?" Fluttershy asked as she got up. Twilight was just as confused.

"The SPY!" She shouted loudly. "She was running away and I almost had her! She must have gone that way!" With that Pinkie sped down the hallway which the two had just came from. They looked at each other uncertainly before exiting the building to wait for their friend outside.

~*~

"Here we go." Snaggletooth smiled as she saw the room she was seeking. Room 37. With Electric Guitar all by herself in there. Carefully peeking inside and looking around the hallway, she changed from her casual disguise to an exact copy of Electric Guitar. Actually all that changed was her cutie mark, to Guitar's. Her disguise already looked exactly like the scientist mare. Grinning evilly, she stepped into the room as the door creaked open.

The said mare did not even look up. Obviously she assumed it was another scientist.

"Barb Wire, I told you, I'm fine and everything is quiet, nothing to worry about." Her suspicions were confirmed.

She crept up to the unicorn and raised her hoof. She whispered, "I'm sorry."

~*~

Pinkie crept in the hallway and shifted from both of the walls. She peeked into a door that said Room 32. It was empty. Quickly moving to the next she peeked into it and only saw some guardpony with a barbed wire cutie mark. Then something rushed to her ears. The sounds of a...struggle! She raced to all of the doors opening them quickly but finding nothing, until only Room 37 was left. The pink mare was about to burst it open, when a Blue unicorn came out calmly. They both stared at each other in shock and silence for a few moments before the mare said," Um hello, sorry can't chat I have to check on Barb Wire, so uh...bye!" She nervously shut the door and proceeded to the lobby.

"Wierd. Mission accomplished, spy has retreated." She happily bounced back to outside where her friends would be waiting not noticing the door creaking slowly open as a pile of ash could be seen.

~*~

Snaggletooth hid behind a wall before changing back and flying swiftly between the clouds trying to disguise herself as much as possible. When she saw Timber Wolf Lane below her, in a burst of green fire, she was now a white pegasus. She dived and calmly landed near the alley entrance. She waited for any wandering eyes to glance at her before turning away to do whatever they were on this street for.
She glanced around one last time before walking into the alleyway. When reaching the door, she did the routine and dropped her disguise. She was let in and turned to her father and said, "Mission accomplished." She said with an evil grin as she transformed into Electric Guitar as if to prove her point.

A/N:
Sorry for the wait, I have ten ideas for fic's that I am writing right now including one based on the last episode on Saturday ;)
(Not Twilicorn)
And a couple of crossover ides too.
I'm see you all later!
-QA

Comments ( 9 )

The term evil being used for snaggletooth's expression more than once is odd. Since your summary implies you're going for ambiguity on the changelings and you used the same expression for pinkie I assume this is some mix up due to a lack of phrasings on your part, or is she being set up as a villain who enjoys this lifestyle?:derpytongue2:


Good work, and I hope to see an update sooner rather than later.:pinkiehappy:

They won't be able to hide from Pinkie for long!

but if you want me to research them i will

I alone wen to see who was caught on tape

The mistakes are obvious enough.

Yes, thank you miss Guitar.

Capitalize that miss.

I thought all the changelings were expelled by Shinning Armor and Cadence's spell!

the seven of you and Cadence and Shinning Armor were busy at the Crystal Empire

Shining has one 'n'.

2158555 Thanks for pointing them out! Hey, would you be intrested in being my beta-reader? :pinkiehappy:

2158689

Your Pinkie smile won me over. I'm not sure what that all entails, but I'll do it. PM me any details.

*Cracks knuckles*

It seems the changelings are ruthless in staying secret. Let us see what can be done to make their fight for survival more easily understood:

He turned around and began flying in that the other direction.
I ^It sounded like the flapping of ...... pegasus wings!
...and his bottled up anxiety and he screamed, The way this reads is that both him and his anxiety screamed. That is, hopefully, not what you intended. I have no specific recommendations for revision here, so it's up to you.
He couldn't even sop ^stop now,
He literally leaped into the room all eyes averted to him. I do not think that word means what you think it means. :moustache: The word "averted" means "avoided". I believe you actually mean the opposite here, unless everyling else was pretending that he wasn't there.
Celestia stopped her sentence dead in it's ^its tracks.
...with Spike was assisting her.
It was even more worse than the previous ones.
She even crashed into a two windows while going through a house...
She put the cub back in it's ^its pen and they both thanked Guitar for her time. The possessive form of "it" is a bit funky. It doesn't follow the pattern of other possessives. "It's" is used strictly as a contraction of "it is".
She creak up to the unicorn and raised her hoof. I'm not sure how you "creak" up to something. In any case, this should be in the past tense, not the present.
as she transformed into Electric Guitar as to prove her point. Either this would be "...as if to...", in which case we don't know specifically what her motive is for the transformation, or simply "...to..." in which case we know that her motive is to prove her point.

Now for some less specific stuff:

Rainbow Dash, Applejack, and Rarity crowded one, while Twilight, Spike, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, and Princess Celestia went and sat in the other.

So we have three ponies in one carriage, and three ponies, a baby dragon, and a princess in the other. If we look at their sizes and weights, it's even weirder. If we count Spike as half a pony, and Celestia as two ponies (at the very least), then we have 3 ponies-worth of passengers nicely stretched out in one carriage, and 5.5 ponies-worth of passengers stuffed into the other one. I also imagine that those pulling the carriage with the extra weight are going to be quite grumpy. This is actually a simple fix. Just move Fluttershy over to the other carriage, and the ratio becomes 4 to 4.5, which is much more even. I say Fluttershy because she is emotionally closest to Rainbow Dash, and would most likely go with her if they had to split up.

"... Twilight I want you to investigate the Research Center and question the ponies there that night. Pinkie Pie you will assist her, ..."
After saying goodbye to Pinkie, the unicorn and Pegasus made their way back to the research center.

Pinkie and Fluttershy seem to switch roles right after they leave the palace. I would say that they are all just bad listeners, but Fluttershy's reaction shows that she knew she was supposed to check buildings. This is a little bit more complex. At the very least, the paragraph where Celestia gives them their instructions, and the next one after that, both need revisions for consistency.

She started running as if she "suspected" she was being followed and Pinkie took the bait.
She pushed past people as if panicked and Pinkie jumped through them.

"Took the bait" implies that Snaggletooth wanted Pinkie to follow her. This is seemingly confirmed when she pushes through the crowd "as if panicked" which implies that she isn't actually panicked. But then it devolves into a standard chase scene and there is no further indication that getting Pinkie to chase her was part of her plan.
Has this chapter gone through any major revisions, by any chance? Both this one and the previous one seem like the sorts of inconsistencies that pop up when part of a chapter is changed, but some of the material isn't altered to reflect that change.

I would highly recommend finding a pre-reader or proofreader. The most magnificent painting cannot be admired if the glass lying upon it is clouded, as the best ideas may not be wondered at if not well expressed. :twilightsmile:

1910891

My favourite approach to that was probably the idea I had after reading a fic where they only needed love and water but it was never explained beyond that.

They thaumosynthesize! Forget "it's magic", their bodies are built from atmospheric carbon, water, minerals in the water, and the magic in love, just like a tree is built from atmospheric carbon, water, minerals in the water, and sunlight.

2172538
You're supposed to post your novels a groups folders, btw.

4344202 :rainbowhuh:
I would like to say I know what you meant there, but I can't express that with honesty. Are you poking fun at my long comment, or is there some deeper, even more obscure message buried in that sentence?

Kinda sad this one got cancelled... Also that the author hasn't been back in years. Hope things are ok

Login or register to comment