• Published 24th Nov 2011
  • 1,683 Views, 18 Comments

Ruining Harmony - Artaelian

  • ...
2
 18
 1,683

Final Arc part six

Sunshine Blaze smiled. Around him sat the six friends, all laughing and enjoying themselves. They had laid out a picnic blanket and placed the food on it, and all were currently enjoying the food and the company of the other ponies. He felt happy, he hadn’t had friends for a long time, and despite the circumstances in which he had met them, Sunshine Blaze felt like he had finally found friends again.

“So, Sunshine Blaze,” Rainbow Dash spoke while chewing the bite of the apple she had just bitten, “what are you up to these days?” she asked.

“Well, mostly I’m just travelling with Captain and his crew, searching for lost treasures that can come back to museums here in Irvest. Just my usual when not following leads on Ulysses.” he replied.

“That sounds exciting!” Rainbow Dash replied.

Sunshine Blaze closed his eyes and for a moment, simply enjoyed the feeling of the wind in his mane.

--
The splash of water to his face shocked him from his dream. He wasn’t in a field or on Captain’s ship, but the inky blackness was like a solid wall, and gave no hints as to where he was. Somewhere nearby a lantern which held a candle was lit, showing to him the cobblestone walls and floor. Closer to the light were iron bars, and two pegasi guards stood beyond them, staring at him.

“I thought the Princess said to bring him if he was awake.” the one further from the light said.

“Well he’s awake now. Up and at them, you.” the other replied.

Sunshine Blaze felt the cold metal of the shackles on his legs, and staggered slowly out of the cell. There, he attempted to move his wings, but found they were, along with his torso in the general area around them, restrained by a large tube of metal.

It didn’t make sense, why had they thrown him in a cell? What had he missed? As he walked ahead of the guards, he had hoped they would at least offer some clues to his situation, but both were silent as they walked along. Around them, the empty cells gave Sunshine Blaze a glimpse into what Equestria was like. There wasn’t a real need for dungeons or places to detain ponies here, because they were all well behaved. But looks, they mattered. What kind of authority didn’t have such a place? Those who didn’t usually found themselves on the working end of a weapon, wishing that they had at least made the effort.

A few minutes and many corridors later, he was in the halls of the castle where it was lighter, as the sun was low in the sky, having not long risen. Around him, the castle staff went around their tasks, pausing to watch him and the guards pass by. Sunshine Blaze hung his head in shame as the chains rattled against the marble floor. How he wished that it was night instead, so nopony would see him in chains.

He had attempted to talk to the guards, and currently his tongue hurt from when the guard hit him under his chin for attempting to speak. He considered asking why he was being led around the castle corridors early in the morning, but thought better of it, worried that another attempt would cost him some teeth.

Ahead of him stood two doors, with guards either side of it. It was clearly the throne room, but this didn’t answer any questions he had, rather, it gave him another. Why was he in chains, being taken to the throne room?

The throne room wasn’t as clean as Sunshine Blaze had been expecting. Around the room, banners hung torn, and pillars were either knocked to the floor, or into another pillar. Clearly, something had taken place. Sat in the middle of the mess, on a broken throne, sat Princess Celestia, and standing beside her was Princess Luna.

They didn’t look happy. He smiled to try and make them seem friendlier, but that didn’t work. The guards shoved him to the ground, where he struck his chin and stars appeared in his vision.

“What do you have to say for yourself for what you did to my sister, I and Equestria?” Princess Celestia spoke firmly.

Sunshine Blaze ran the sentence in his head again. She had just said what he had done to her and Princess Luna? He hadn’t ever met them before.

“Your highness-” was all he got out. One of the guard beside him lifted him up by their teeth, and the other kicked at his chin, drawing blood.

“You will not speak unless ordered to!” the guard barked.

“Guards, let him speak.” Princess Luna said, holding her wings up.

Sunshine Blaze opened and closed his mouth, trying to get the pain to pass. When it showed no signs of leaving, he sighed and spoke.

“Your highnesses, I’m afraid I don’t understand what is going on. Before this, I’ve never met you two face to face.” Sunshine Blaze said.

“You mean you do not remember coming in here, and attempting to take the lives of my sister and I, then sealing us in darkness when you couldn’t kill us?” Princess Celestia stared down at him, her eyes just slits.

Ulysses. He had almost bragged about what he had done to the princesses. But there still remained one thing he needed to address.

“Tell me, when ‘I’ came in here, what was ‘I’ wearing?” Sunshine Blaze asked.

Princess Celestia looked at Princess Luna, neither noticing that once again, the guards beat Sunshine Blaze across the head for questioning the Princesses, when he was there to be questioned.

“You wore a black cape across your back.” Princess Luna answered.

“Now you see, I always wear,” he got onto his hind legs and reached at his forehead with his front legs, but found his goggles were not there, “well, when they’re there, I always wear my goggles. The cape belonged to my brother, Ulysses. It fits, he bragged how he sealed you two away, and I have never met you two before.”

“These goggles,” Princess Celestia lifted them from beside the throne with her magic, “they were taken from you when we brought you in. But how do we know this is not some trick, so you can leave a free pony, and return to do what you planned when you have recovered?” she asked.

“Put them on.”

Princess Celestia stared at Sunshine Blaze, as though he had just asked her to shave off her mane.

“Excuse me?” she asked.

“Put them on, then toggle the switch nine times. They have a last recording function.” he stated.

It was a long shot, considering that the last recording may have been of the moments he had been brought to Canterlot, but Sunshine Blaze hoped that wasn’t the case, and when she watched, Princess Celestia would witness Ulysses.

Princess Celestia held the goggles over her eyes and toggled the switch nine times. She sat in silence as she watched what had been recorded, before setting the goggles down before her.

“Your brother was a burns victim?” she asked, opening one eye wider than the other.

“Actually no. It’s a long story, but I can shorten it. The bearers of the Elements of Harmony failed to keep them away from my brother, he survived their efforts to break his horn and bringing down his own castle. From there, the twists in time he created to pull off his scheme warped him and begun to destroy reality itself around him.” Sunshine Blaze answered.

Princess Celestia sighed, and levitated the goggles over to Sunshine Blaze, placing them back on his head.

“Release him. It seems we were deceived by a trickster unicorn.” Princess Celestia said, closing her eyes.

Sunshine Blaze breathed a sigh of relief as he felt the chains and wing restraint being removed. He flared his wings to stretch them, and smiled at the Princesses.

“You don’t need to say anything. My brother was very good at illusions, he often got me into trouble by appearing as me, but he would always forget that I didn’t wear a cape.” Sunshine Blaze stated.

“Yes, but there is one other thing. When we found you, there was a burnt body, a horrible sight. Who or what was it? I’ve never seen anything that looked like a pony with six wings.” Princess Celestia questioned.

“Ah, that would have probably been what was left of my brother. He never used to have wings, but when he stole the elements of harmony, he forced them to give him wings, and well, they don’t create something from nothing apparently. But then he lost the elements of harmony and use of the six wings, and rather than be defeated, he decided to lose on his own terms. I’m assuming you have him recovering before you punish him.” Sunshine Blaze answered, keeping eye contact with Princess Celestia. Princess Celestia however looked slightly worried for a moment towards Sunshine Blaze.

“Yes, well, the elements of harmony scattered when my sister and I arrived. We have no idea where they are.” Princess Celestia said, looking down at the floor.

“All you need to do is get those who held them to find them. It shouldn’t be hard, they embody the elements.” Sunshine Blaze smiled.

He couldn’t work out why Princess Celestia looked at him sadly. In a way, she looked at Sunshine Blaze as any grown up would look at the young, when the young had clearly not understood something important.

“I fear you are missing a very big point here. They can not look for them.” Princess Celestia stated.

“Sure they can, they defeated my brother, and have a bond to the elements. It should be easy for them.” Sunshine Blaze replied, smiling.

“They can’t,” Princess Celestia stood up, “they were killed at the battle against your brother. There were no bodies of them.”

This seemed to be missed by Sunshine Blaze. He had heard what Princess Celestia had said, but the dots didn’t connect in his head.

“I’m sure they’re fine. After such a long time away, and after a fight with my brother, they just went back home.”

Princess Celestia went to say something, but was interrupted by green smoke appearing before her. Using her magic, she opened the letter and read it. As she read, tears welled up in her eyes and begun rolling down her cheeks.

“Dear Princess Celestia,” she begun to speak aloud, “if you are reading this...” she paused. Looking up, she gazed on a ghostly figure of Twilight, standing in the room.

“Then it means I did not return from the confrontation with the one known as Ulysses, and Spike has sent this, my final letter. You may have met Sunshine Blaze by now, and it is because of him that my friends and I went into this fight. From speaking with Applejack, and witnessing a strange function of his goggles, I know why he asked us for help. He has even said to Fluttershy if my memory is right, Ulysses long ago placed a curse on him, to burn when he attempted to stop him. By asking us for help, Sunshine Blaze hoped he could stop his brother from a distance.”

The ghostly Twilight sat down, and looked to the floor on her right, sighing as she did so.

“I figured an enchanted letter would be better should things go badly, so you can see me one last time, and hopefully be proud of me. But I digress, Sunshine Blaze has asked for this help before, and has revealed that his brother changed him in more ways than just the curse designed to slowly kill him. After the destruction of his home town in Irvest, Sunshine Blaze has grown up with no knowledge of death and its finality. He knows what he asked of others, and now asks of me and my friends, but doesn’t understand. If we die, then that’s it for us. I won’t get to see another day, or speak to you. In his head, I am sure, Sunshine Blaze is still just the little colt that watched his mother die of burn wounds, not understanding that she hadn’t just fallen asleep.”

Princess Celestia took a moment to look at Sunshine Blaze. He had remained where he had before, but now lay on his belly, looking up at Twilight. His eyes sparkled slightly, as if some rather horrible thoughts of what he had exactly done were sinking in.

“As Spike writes this, we are in Irvest, preparing to return to Equestria. You probably won’t see it, but the sky is always red, and has been since Sunshine Blaze rescued us and brought us here. I haven’t spoken to the others since Sunshine Blaze left, but I can tell they’re thinking the same as me. That this is one fight where the outcome may not be as happy as it was with Nightmare Moon or Discord. We all know, deep down, we’re walking to our deaths. I felt so selfish earlier when asked to do this. I wanted to say no, I wanted to stay here safe, as a respected scholar. But,” Twilight faltered for a moment, “but to say no, when the world is dying from the endless day-night. While you remain trapped somewhere by him? How could I be so selfish, and put myself first? I bear the Element of Magic, and while it is in Ulysses’ possession as this is written, I would rather die trying to save the world.”

Twilight now stood up, a smile on her face.

“So then, this is where I end this rather long letter Princess Celestia. I do hope it will never have to be sent to you, but as you can see, this is what I have become in the six years. A respected scholar in a country that Equestria has never had relations with. And willingly leaving it behind. To save Irvest, to save Equestria, and the world. To save you. And please, if you ever do meet Sunshine Blaze, don’t blame him for this. He may look like a colt, but he is still young of mind, the prospect of death has never been explained to him. And thank you, Princess Celestia. Thank you for everything you have done for me, or helped me with. Your faithful student always, Twilight Sparkle.”

And with that, the ghostly figure of Twilight, cast into the room by an enchantment on the scroll, faded from sight. Beyond where she had appeared, Sunshine Blaze seemed to have finally connected the dots, as he had begun crying.

Princess Celestia lifted him up with her magic and brought him before her, placing him back on the ground the same way she had brought him over, laying with his legs underneath his body. Princess Celestia sat down and looked back towards Princess Luna, who had her eyes focused on Sunshine Blaze.

“Final letter... the way she spoke... I... I’ve heard of death, but,” Sunshine Blaze closed his eyes tight, “how could I have been so stupid? Why didn’t I see it before... Captain always waking me up on the boat, those I asked for help had gone missing. I just thought dead was another way of saying they had gone somewhere to sleep...”

“You are not to blame, Sunshine Blaze,” Princess Celestia spoke softly, “while you had no idea, my student and her friends did. I am sure they knew the risks like Twilight Sparkle said, and despite that, willingly gave their lives to save the world from Ulysses. I am proud of them, and while they will be missed, they will always live on in our hearts.”

Sunshine Blaze raised himself to his hooves, and stared at the ground. Slowly, he stopped crying, but didn’t make eye contact with the Princess.

“I deserve whatever punishment you deem fit.” he said, his voice flat and raspy from the crying.

“Why would I punish you?” Princess Celestia asked.

“Because of my actions, and request, your student, and the bearers of the elements of harmony are dead.” Sunshine Blaze replied.

Sunshine Blaze winced in anticipation, as Princess Celestia placed a hoof to his chin. Gently, she made Sunshine Blaze look her in the eyes.

“Your actions, while they did not end well for all involved, led to the right thing being done. Because of you, the six ponies who embody the individual aspects of harmony are gone, but look outside,” she paused and looked out of a window higher up in the room. The sky was blue, dotted with white clouds, among which, a single rainbow could be seen, “ because of you asking for help, and their choice, the world is safe once again. To punish you for that would mean having to punish anypony for enjoying a sunrise or sunset, for enjoying rainbows, or the warmth of the sun or the chill at night with the moon overhead. Instead, while we may have met under the circumstances where my sister and I had assumed you were the cause for everything, you may return to Irvest, and tell them Equestria wishes to open relations. And, you are free to return as you wish here.”

Sunshine Blaze didn’t smile, but his frown subsided. He looked at Princess Celestia, as finally, a smile returned to his face.

“I can see why Twilight held you with such high regard, you are very ki-” he cut off, as the goggles on his head shook slightly.

Sunshine Blaze quickly lowered them over his eyes, to the confusion of the princesses. He toggled the switch four times. His head spun around, while his mouth formed the shape of an o, and soon, he stopped in a random direction.

“Uh, sorry but, did Twilight have a favourite place here?” he asked, looking back at Princess Celestia, goggles over his eyes.

“In Canterlot? She rarely left her library before I sent her to Ponyville. Why do you ask?” Princess Celestia replied and questioned back.

“Just, there’s was a sudden surge of magic power. I need to check what it is!” Sunshine Blaze shouted, running out of the throne room.

Princess Celestia and Princess Luna watched as he ran out of the doors, before looking at the other with confusion. They both soon came to a silent, unspoken agreement to follow after him.

--
The library Twilight had spent her time in before leaving for Ponyville was mostly the same as she had left it. The ruined present for Moondancer still lay near the stairs, where Spike had dropped it after he had removed it from his tail. The books and shelves themselves were coated with a thick layer of dust, as Twilight had been the only pony to use the library before she left, and since she had gone, it was disused.

Spiders had taken to the forgotten library, and often ate well since a window had remained open, just enough for when Spike had to send a letter.

As the doors burst open, shifting the dust and shaking the cobwebs, the spiders were no longer happy. Through the doors flew in Sunshine Blaze, who landed on his hooves and examined the library with his goggles. They showed that the surge of magic had ceased, but very powerful magic remained on the floor above where he currently stood. As he climbed the stairs, walking past the remains of a forgotten present, the princesses arrived, having flown after Sunshine Blaze as well.

As Sunshine Blaze walked out to the floor, he stopped to lift the goggles and place them back on his forehead. In the middle of this upper floor, hovering in midair and casting a purple light, was a star shaped gem.

“The element of magic! But, how did it get here?” Princess Celestia questioned, confused. She hadn’t been expecting to ever see the element that Twilight Sparkle had embodied ever again.

Sunshine Blaze didn’t answer. Slowly, with his head held low, he approached the Element of Magic, glancing up now and then, seeing the light shimmer within it.

“I feel pretty foalish for saying this,” he begun, “because I don’t know if I’m speaking to just an object, or if you can really hear me. But, I’m sorry Twilight. I’m so very sorry. You were right about me. I didn’t understand until today what death really was. I... I hope you can forgive me. I made you choose to live or die, without knowing what I was really asking. While the world may thank you for giving up your life to save them, all I want, what I want to know more than anything, is that you and your friends forgive me.” he said slowly, tears forming once again in the corners of his eyes.

The element of magic spun around silently. The light shimmered and made patterns and rainbows on the dust covered floor, as Sunshine Blaze finally looked at it, waiting for any sign to show he was forgiven.

He wasn’t expecting a large bubble of purple magic to form suddenly around the element. Clearly, Princess Celestia hadn’t either, but she reacted by rather unroyally grabbing his tail in her teeth and pulling him clear of the bubble. Inside, the element of magic begun to spin faster and faster, pulling the bubble back towards itself. As the bubble drew closer, it seemed to impact a shape, which became more prominent as it continued its collapse. When it had finished, the shape was that of a unicorn, and Sunshine Blaze watched, jaw dropped in awe, as the Element of Magic reformed the golden crown it had been in before, and held in the air on the head of this shape.

A pop made Sunshine Blaze and the Princesses close their eyes. Before they could open them again, the sound of somepony taking a breath as if they had just surfaced from a dive underwater filled the room, followed by a voice.

“Oh no, my library! It’s filthy! Spike! Where are you? We need to clean this place.... wait... why am I in Canterlot?” Twilight asked.

“Twilight Sparkle.” Princess Celestia opened her eyes, and looked at the purple unicorn with a shocked expression.

“Princess Celestia! I thought I’d never see you again!” Twilight said, forgetting her confusion and ran to her teacher’s side.

“After the letter Spike sent, and watching as the Elements of Harmony vanish, I thought the same. How can you be here?” Princess Celestia asked.

“The last thing I remember, we were about to use the elements against this pony called Ulysses. Then there was a bright light, and I felt suddenly constrained, as if in a small space. Next thing I know, here I am.” Twilight replied.

“That’s interesting,” Princess Celestia said, while thinking over what Twilight had just said, “Sunshine Blaze, can your go-” she stopped.

Where Sunshine Blaze had been standing was now just air. Across the way, a window was now fully open, the wind from outside whipped up the dust in the library. Sunshine Blaze had gone.

--
Granny Smith sat in a rocking chair in front of the house on the Sweet Apple Acres farm, watching as out in the fields, Big Macintosh gathered up the buckets of apples that had been bucked from the trees just an hour before.

He looked to his right when a soft thud indicated that a pegasus had just landed beside him. There, he saw Sunshine Blaze, smiling.

“Hello, are you Big Macintosh?” Sunshine Blaze questioned.

“Eeyup,” Big Macintosh answered, “something bad happen to AJ?”

“Yes. I’m sorry, something bad happened when we confronted Ulysses. Something that can be put right. Tell me, did Applejack have a favourite place on the farm?” Sunshine Blaze asked.

Big Macintosh didn’t reply right away. He slowly closed his eyes, and seemed as if he was trying to control his emotions. A minute passed before he opened his eyes again, and looked at Sunshine Blaze.

“AJ died, didn’t she?” he asked.

“Not yet. Not if the Elements of Harmony have any say in this. I need you to tell me, where was her favourite place on the farm.” Sunshine Blaze replied.

Big Macintosh walked a short distance away, stopping only to see if Sunshine Blaze was following him. Taking this as a cue, Sunshine Blaze begun to follow Big Macintosh. They arrived at a hill several minutes later, which overlooked the entire farm. In the middle of this hill, a tiny sapling was growing.

“It was but a seed when AJ up and disappeared six years ago. Near here, her first tree, Bloomberg, was grown, ‘fore it was shipped to Appleloosa.” Big Macintosh explained, looking at the apple tree sapling.

Sunshine Blaze lowered his goggles, and looked around. He smiled as he found what he was looking for, and walked towards it. Over an unassuming part of bare ground, floated the Element of Honesty. It too sparkled in the sunlight, but this time much brighter due to it being in the open.

Slowly, Sunshine Blaze stood beside the Element of Honesty, and sat down. A brief moment of silence filled the air, disturbed only by the sound of the wind blowing through the surrounding leaves on the trees.

“I can see why you like this spot Applejack,” Sunshine Blaze spoke to the Element of Honesty, as it floated silently beside him, “you can see the whole farm here. It must make you feel proud to be here, and see the trees growing and bearing fruit through your hard work. Of course, your brother deserves some credit as well.”

The Element of Honesty only responded by spinning once in the air, before resuming its soundless floating.

“You can still look after it. Ulysses didn’t destroy the farm, it is still here. Everything is fine now. And while I learnt a hard lesson on what I really asked you and your friends to do for the world, you shouldn’t pay the price for my, or Ulysses’, actions.”

Sunshine Blaze calmly stood up and walked up to Big Macintosh, as the Element of Honesty begun to spin faster and faster in the air. An orange bubble soon appeared, and shrunk. The orange bubble soon begun to touch a shape, of an earth pony with a stetson hat on her head. With a pop, Applejack replaced the bubble shape, gasping for breath. Beside him, Big Macintosh stared in awe at what he had witnessed.

“What jus’ happened?” he asked.

“What happened? The Elements of Harmony repaid your sister and her friends for saving them from Ulysses after six years. As he tried to kill them, they, sort of absorbed them, and kept them safe from a magical explosion. Somehow.” Sunshine Blaze replied, smiling.

Applejack, who had finally caught her breath again, was now looking confused around the farm, her eyes landing on her brother and Sunshine Blaze.

“What? Ah don’t git this. Weren’t ah helping Twi and the others with Ulysses?” Applejack asked at Sunshine Blaze.

“You were, and you did. Congratulations. Catch up with you later. Bye..” Sunshine Blaze answered, taking flight.

--
Fluttershy’s cottage showed signs that it had been burnt down when the nearest part of the Everfree Forest had burnt. However, somepony had rebuilt it to its appearance before the fire. Inside, as Sunshine Blaze found, it had been very well kept. It wasn’t surprising who had kept it clean and dust free since it had been rebuilt, Angel, the bunny Fluttershy often worried about in Irvest, had grown older and now had young of his own.

Angel and the other animals, who kept Fluttershy’s cottage clean were staring in wonder at the butterfly shaped gem that was the Element of Kindness, as it floated in the middle of the room.

Sunshine Blaze walked carefully towards it, gently picking up Angel, or at least the oldest looking rabbit that he hoped was Angel, and held him closer to the gem. The rabbit stared at him with some annoyance, but turned his attention to the Element that was now floating before him.

“Fluttershy... words can’t begin to tell you how sorry I am for making you face such an insane pony. I hadn’t expected him to try and kill you all when you were about to defeat him, but, I... I hid the fact he wouldn’t have hesitated to try and kill you for being a pegasus, because I knew if I told you and your friends the truth, you would never have returned. But, look around, that is, if you can. These animals, some so young they have never met you, they’ve all helped to keep your old home clean. If you can, I’m sure you would like to return to meet them all.” Sunshine Blaze said.

The Element of Kindness seemed to dim a little. But it didn’t spin, or cast a bubble. It remained still, and got dimmer. It was almost as if it wanted to hide from him. Looking at the rabbit he was holding up, Sunshine Blaze watched as the rabbit jumped towards the Element of Kindness, and wrapped his little arms around it.

The Element begun to get brighter and spun, slowly, as a yellow bubble appeared. This quickly collapsed and popped, replaced by Fluttershy gasping for breath, while the rabbit remained holding its arms in a hug on her neck, with the Element of Kindness underneath it on Fluttershy’s neck.

Fluttershy lifted a front hoof up to Angel, and removed him so she could look at his face. She smiled and nuzzled him, before gasping with joy at the sight of the animals in her cottage. Angel thumped against her hoof, calling for her attention. He simply pointed at the open door, and as Fluttershy looked at it, she watched as Sunshine Blaze quickly became a speck in the sky.

“I don’t blame you, Sunshine Blaze. We had to do what was right. You reminded us of that when we had forgotten.” Fluttershy said softly, knowing that he couldn’t hear her words.

--
Carousel Boutique had been closer as Sunshine Blaze flew back over Ponyville. There were only three more places the remaining elements could logically be. Rarity had often talked highly of her fashion store, and had even done her best to recreate it in Irvest, so logic said that the Element of Generosity would have gone there.

The sight that awaited him within the store was fairly simple. Scootaloo, her body wrapped by the newest bandages from whatever injuries she had gained during the battle before Ulysses’ Castle, stood stone faced next to Sweetie Belle, who was currently on the floor crying. Floating just before the pair of teenage fillies, was the Element of Generosity.

As Sunshine Blaze walked in, Scootaloo simply glanced him over, before focusing once more on her crying friend.

“She’s gone... what’ll I do now Scootaloo? M-my sister i-is gone!” Sweetie Belle wailed.

“I’m sorry Sweetie Belle, but the years have been kinder on you than me, so while its the best thing I can say, its not the kindest, pain free way of putting things. Your sister’s element of harmony is there, and she’s gone. Crying like a little foal wouldn’t be what she’d want for you.” Scootaloo barely flinched as she spoke the words, causing Sweetie Belle to get louder with her crying.

Unseen by the pair, Sunshine Blaze grinned.

“I don’t need to say anything.” he said.

In the middle of the air, the Element of Generosity spun, getting faster. Scootaloo reacted fast when the white and purple bubble appeared, pulling Sweetie Belle by her tail out of the way. The bubble followed the previous ones, it collapsed, forming a shape of a curly maned unicorn, before popping.

Rarity collapsed to the floor as she gasped for breath, the Element of Generosity now around her neck. Her eyes locked on to Sweetie Belle, who had her own eyes locked on Rarity, in shock of what she had just witnessed. Neither sister said a word as they ran at the other, hugging when they met, and crying with joy.

Scootaloo watched the sisters hugging and crying with joy, and for the first time in years, she smiled. Behind her, the front door clicked closed, and she turned her head, watching as Sunshine Blaze took flight.

--
Mr and Mrs. Cake were slightly worried by the blue balloon shaped gem floating in the empty room that they still maintained for Pinkie Pie. However, despite their worry, they tried to hold back laughs whenever Gummy, Pinkie Pie’s pet alligator, who had grown in her absence attempted to get at the gem and bite it in his toothless gums.

They turned their heads to the stairs when the bell by the front door jingled, indicating somepony had just walked in, and the sound of hooves clopping against wood gave away where they were heading. Soon, they saw the orange head with turquoise mane of Sunshine Blaze, who simply walked over to them.

“I suspect in a second, you’re both going to be very busy.” Sunshine Blaze stated.

“Why, whatever do you mean?” Mrs. Cake questioned.

Suddenly, there was a pop, and Pinkie Pie inhaled. There was no delay for the lively pink party pony. She tackled Sunshine Blaze and pinned him to the ground.

“Ohmygoshwedidit? We‌defeatedUlyssesandtheelementsofharmonykeptussafeandnowyoucametogetusand,” she spoke without a single break or intake of another breath.

“Breath, Pinkie, breath.” Sunshine Blaze reminded her.

Giggling, Pinkie Pie let go of Sunshine Blaze and backed away a few feet, taking breaths again. As Sunshine Blaze got up, she begun to talk again.

“Are the others ok? That huge boom would have hurt so bad if the Elements didn’t use that strange magic that was to keep me in mine.” Pinkie Pie asked.

“Well, Twilight reappeared in her old library up in Canterlot, I left Applejack at her farm, Fluttershy is at her cottage, and Rarity at her old shop. I just have to find Rainbow Dash.” Sunshine Blaze answered.

“This is great news! You know what this calls for?” Pinkie Pie asked.

Sunshine Blaze simply blinked once. In that single blink, Pinkie Pie had gone from sitting with Gummy’s mouth clamped to her tail, to being surrounded by balloons and streamers, and Gummy now sitting on her head. He prepared to question how she had moved so fast in what was literally less than a second, but stopped, and shook his head. It was just Pinkie Pie, there was no other explanation needed.

“No, Pinkie Pie. What does this call for?” he asked sarcastically, rolling his eyes.

--
“A PARTY!” Pinkie Pie yelled at the top of her voice.

An hour had passed since she and the Cakes spread the word of the impromptu party, and tables and chairs now lined the middle of the street past Sugarcube Corner, and went out of sight all the way to the Town Hall. The tables and chairs were decorated with streamers and balloons, and food sat on plates down the middle of the tables, with plates set up before each chair.

Ponies had taken the excuse of a party to celebrate the downfall of Ulysses, and the return of the Princesses, and away from the tables, they played games or danced to music. On the horizon, the sun was beginning to set, but Pinkie had clearly planned ahead, as glass encased candles were set up among the food on the tables.

Pinkie Pie herself currently sat with her friends, Rarity, Applejack and Fluttershy, all were at the table closest to the town hall, with the next table over being where the Mayor sat, accompanied by Soarin’, two of the other wonderbolts, and Scootaloo with her friends Sweetie Belle and Applebloom.

Above them, as Gringhold departed to find a cave to sleep for a hundred years, a chariot pulled by two Canterlot guards that had survived the years under Ulysses’ rule arrived. It landed, and from the back, pausing only to breath in the cool evening air, walked Twilight.

“Twi! Over here!” Applejack called out.

Twilight responded by smiling, and running over as fast as she possibly could. She took a chair and silently watched as ponies all around celebrated.

“I never expected to see the end result of all this.” Twilight said happily.

“Yes, but we are here, if only thanks to whatever strange spell the Elements of Harmony used.” Rarity added.

Nearby, Sunshine Blaze landed, looking quite upset. He walked over to the table and sat beside Fluttershy.

“It wasn’t there. I checked Rainbow Dash’s home, but no sign of the Element of Loyalty.” he said, avoiding eye contact.

“Aww, don’t worry! I’ll throw Dashie a party when she returns!” Pinkie Pie stated.

“Was her favourite place anywhere in Ponyville?” Sunshine Blaze asked.

“Oh, no,” Fluttershy spoke up, “she may have lived in Ponyville, but she always liked Cloudsdale. She did her first and second Sonic Rainbooms there. She liked the fact that she could fly under the clouds, because it wasn’t like flying over a town. Since towns are on the ground, and it’d hurt to try.”

Sudden explosions of fireworks filled the air, causing the ponies to stop their conversation and look towards Canterlot. Fireworks flew through the air and exploded in a variety of colours and patterns.

“It seems they’re celebrating in Canterlot. That must be quite a party.” Rarity smiled.

“Aw... fireworks, why didn’t I think of those?” Pinkie Pie questioned, sounding dejected.

“Don’t sweat it Pinkie, yer party’s swell as it is.” Applejack replied.

They fell silent once more, continuing to watch the fireworks from Canterlot. After a while, Sunshine Blaze stood up and faced away from the table.

“Twilight, Applejack, Rarity, Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie. Thank you, all of you. If I’d never met you all, I’d still be an ignorant colt, with no understanding of the consequences of my actions. You’ve all been good friends to me in the time I’ve known you. I just... I just wish we hadn’t met under such unfortunate circumstances. It was only because of my brother that I even had to speak to you all. But,” Sunshine Blaze turned his head to look behind him, a big smile appearing on his face, “regardless of the how, the outcome is clear. I always have friends in you. And I wouldn’t change that for anything.”

“Where are you going? You don’t have to keep travelling anymore now your brother is gone. Why not stay with us here in Ponyville?” Twilight asked.

“Maybe one day, I’ll return and take you up on that offer. But for now... for now I have one more thing I must do. Goodbye my friends.” he replied, taking flight.

The five friend watched as he flew away, tears of sorrow forming in the corners of their eyes. They looked at each other, waiting for one of the others to say something.

“Do... do you think we’ll ever see him again?” Rarity asked.

“Ah dunno Rarity. Maybe. All we can do is hope ah guess.” Applejack answered.

“I hope so too, I was going to make him an outfit and ask for him to help model new designs for colts.” Rarity added.

Applejack, Twilight, Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie simply rolled their eyes.

--
Ulysses had said just before he died, that he hadn’t killed anypony since leaving Irvest. This was, simply, a partial truth. Somehow, Cloudsdale and the pegasi on it had survived the void, but many simply hadn’t, and the town was in need of major repair.

Slowly, Sunshine Blaze walked through the city, the distant sound of firework explosions filled the air with the only sound. It had taken him most of the night to fly there, and the moon had travelled across the sky, and was now low on the horizon. Silently, he put his goggles over his eyes and looked up. High above, a magical energy source could be seen, and he flew to it before removing his goggles.

“Hello Rainbow Dash.” he said to the floating Element of Loyalty.

The Element of Loyalty only just hovered over a cloud, which remained still in the air as if under the control of a pegasus. It sparkled slightly in the moonlight, and Sunshine Blaze felt as if it was watching him.

“I hope you can see this. Canterlot has been letting off fireworks all night, the pegasi that survived these last six years are busy flying around, taking messages of similar celebrations across Equestria. Word sure goes around fast.”

The Element of Loyalty replied only by lifting up a little, but it did not spin. He sighed.

“When I left Ponyville, your friends were attending a celebration there, held by Pinkie Pie, of course. She’s promised more parties when you return. But, there’s something I need to say to you. Will you listen to me?” he asked.

The Element of Loyalty spun once. Sunshine Blaze smiled, and took a deep breath.

“Didn’t you ever notice this all begun with you? How, in the different futures and the past, Ulysses had attempted to break or kill you? I believe simply, in the time he must have observed you all, he grew to hate you the most. You are the fastest pegasus he and I had ever seen. He hated us pegasi just for having what he was denied at birth, but then to find one faster than any he’d seen before, well, that made you his number one target. You weren’t just flaunting what he didn’t get when born, you made it all a big show. And well, I’m sorry. Back in Irvest, I made you and your friends choose between your new safe lives in a dying world, or returning here to face him and save the world. While you were willing to go right then, I would have asked you to consider it for longer than a year, had I known what I was really asking. I was asking for you to choose between living, or dying. I was such a foal... and, I hope you can forgive me.” he said.

A pop filled the air beside him, but it wasn’t followed up by a gasp for breath, rather, Rainbow Dash exhaled.

“Oh come on! There wasn’t any choice then! I couldn’t leave Equestria or the world die thanks to him. I’d gladly die for real than let ponies suffer and die.” Rainbow Dash stated.

“But you six weren’t supposed to. My brother’s curse was cast wrong. It burnt me, yes, but it stored his own power in me. If I’d acted faster, I’d have given it back to him, and none of you would have had to be released from the Elements of Harmony.” Sunshine Blaze said, looking at Rainbow Dash.

“C’mon, Blaze. Don’t beat yourself up over this. It’s done with, over. We can all return to peaceful lives now. Of course, I’ll help rebuild Cloudsdale, but first, I can help you get settled in Ponyville, since your old home in Irvest is gone.” Rainbow smiled, as the moon begun to touch the horizon.

“Rainbow...”

“It’ll be great! Wait, would you rather live on the ground or on a cloud? Because I’m the only one in town with a cloud home. But its free to make at least, so it’ll save a bit of money.” Rainbow continued, slightly excited to help Sunshine Blaze make a new home.

“...I’m not staying...”

“Oh it’ll be so awesome! Obviously, you can’t have rainbows at the front, well, not until the weather factory is rebuilt anyway,” she paused, “what did you say?”

“I’m not staying, Rainbow Dash.” Sunshine Blaze repeated, avoiding eye contact.

“B-but why not? After all we’ve been through these last six years, you’re just leaving?” Rainbow stood up.

“It’s not that I don’t want to. But see it my way. Before I even met you six, I chased after my brother, trying to stop him. Now he’s gone, I can finally live! I can finally be free, able to travel to the places I want to know, and see the sights and wonders it holds from a normal perspective, rather than wondering if my brother is using it in some evil plan. Rainbow Dash,” Sunshine Blaze looked at her with pleading eyes, “I am finally free.”

Rainbow Dash smiled weakly, while inside, she wanted to cry from how sad she felt and how happy she was for Sunshine Blaze. His words hurt slightly, since it all meant the same thing, he was leaving, and she was unlikely to ever see him again.

“Will you ever come back?” Rainbow asked, small tears in her eyes.

“I hope so, one day. Irvest may be where I was born, but my home died when my brother killed everypony. Maybe... maybe one day, I can come back, and call Ponyville my home. I’d like that.” Sunshine Blaze turned his attention to the opposite horizon, as behind him the moon dipped out of sight.

“Blaze, thank you. I’m not sure if the others said this to you, but thank you for everything. Even when Twilight didn’t trust you, and the rest of us weren’t sure of who you were, or what you had planned, you didn’t let it get in the way. You saved us from Ulysses when he tried to kill us six years ago. And you reminded us that we had to do what was right for the world. Thank you for everything Sunshine Blaze.” Rainbow Dash said, nuzzling Sunshine Blaze in a friendly way, to end her thank you.

On the horizon they now faced, golden rays of light appeared, as the sun rose. Sunshine Blaze raised his wings.

“Where are you going to go?” Rainbow Dash asked.

Sunshine Blaze took a moment to think of an answer. As it formed in his head, he smiled, and looked Rainbow Dash in the eyes.

“Wherever the wind takes me.” Sunshine Blaze answered, and took flight.

Rainbow Dash stood on the cloud, watching as Sunshine Blaze slowly became a speck on the horizon, then vanished from sight for the last time. She sighed, and finally begun to cry the tears she had held back.

“I don’t understand you, Blaze. You watched your mother die and your home burn, you must have seen countless horrors, and yet, you cried only once the whole time I’ve known you. Any other pony would have broken down and given up the will to live. Yet, all because you were told to stay strong, you didn’t, and only cried once. How brave must you be?” she pondered aloud.

She sat there for a while longer, drying her eyes. Satisfied that she had dried them, she took flight and headed for Ponyville.

--
A year saw Equestria slowly return to normal. While largely unaffected, Ponyville and Canterlot returned to normal, and offered help to the other towns and cities to rebuild. Cloudsdale was restored soon after and it didn’t take long for all the towns to look like they once had again.

Life also returned to normal for the six friends. Applejack, using Equestria’s new relations with Irvest, opened links to the farm she had left behind in Port Equis. Between her and Big Macintosh, plans soon formed to open another farm in Irvest and expand the business.

Rarity likewise created links to her store in Port Equis, and begun shipping designs from Irvest to Equestria, while sending designs from Equestria to Irvest. Fluttershy only sent mail now and then to check on how the small animal caretaking business she had set up was doing.

Twilight, excited by the new relations had invited other scholars she had known in Irvest to come to Equestria, and see it for themselves, rather than hear about it and the history from her or any book. She remained in the Ponyville library however, content to return to her old life, studying the magic of friendship for Princess Celestia.

Pinkie Pie still worked for the Cakes at Sugarcube Corner, having at first seemingly forgotten the store she had run in Port Equis. Later, it was learnt she kept track of it by mail, but had happily returned to the life she had left.

Rainbow Dash likewise returned to the life she had known before, managing Ponyville’s weather and practising for when the Wonderbolts would eventually reform and look for new recruits. Since she had passed on control of the team in Irvest, she simply kept track now and then, offering advice to them by mail when they requested the help.

Even for Applebloom, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo, things returned to a relative normalcy. While the six years had kept them from finding their special talents, and left Scootaloo with a lot of scars and an emotionally distant outlook on life, the three teenage fillies resumed their lives.

And each day, the six friends kept watching the skies, looking for the colours of the friend that had saved them and aided them in saving Equestria. No matter how often Sunshine Blaze never appeared, they never gave up hope that he would one day return to tell them of his latest journey.

The End

Author's Note:

Finally, two years after I wrote it, and two years of going through editing, this story is finally done. There will be a discussion between me and my editor about an appendix chapter, but for the main story, its finished, over, done with.
And I will never again attempt a dark fic, I don't think I write them well. Still, I hope there are people out there who enjoyed the story, and I'll be back closer to christmas with the sequel to Hearth's Warming Eve for Scootaloo; Dream of Another Shore.

Comments ( 4 )

3320601 dont worry about it, there are lots of trolls that dislike stories for no reason or they dont like the story idea so you did nothing wrong and dont feel as if you think your fics are bad, that feeling has shot down alot of amazing writers. :heart:

If Ulysses was voiced, what would he sound like? I gotta admit, "Ulysses" is NOT the kind of name you'd expect a My Little Pony villain would have. You get points for being original!

If Ulysses was voiced, what would he sound like? I gotta admit, "Ulysses" is NOT the kind of name you'd expect a My Little Pony villain would have. You get points for being original!

8127043
I imagine him as having a deep voice, sort of like Big Mac does, but more, well, city like than country. And it'd be filled with confidence and smugness because that's the attitude he has.

Login or register to comment