• Published 24th Nov 2011
  • 1,683 Views, 18 Comments

Ruining Harmony - Artaelian

  • ...
2
 18
 1,683

Fluttershy's Farce part one

Twilight Sparkle once more looked over the letter with Spike. Around them, Rarity, Fluttershy, Applejack, Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie looked on, each of them concerned at what the voice had just under an hour before.

Princess Celestia had been fast to reply, and showed concern, the first line a letter from her had told Twilight to take themselves somewhere safe. Twilight had taken them to the basement of the library, where various scientific instruments were scattered around. And it was here they waited at present. The last line of the letter instructed them to wait for another letter with further instructions.

“Um… Twilight? Do you know how long do we have to wait for?” Fluttershy questioned.

Twilight shook her head. “No mention… Sorry girls.”

Rainbow Dash normally couldn’t stay still for longer than an hour besides when she was napping or asleep for the night. This time, she was frightfully still, and looking quite pale. Having witnessed a potential future, and seemingly the end result of a different future for Pinkie Pie, the voice booming an hour before had brought real fear to her, something she didn’t like to show. So, she had forced a smile.

“It’ll be ok. I’m sure the Princess will tell us what to do soon.” Twilight reassured her friends, but at the same time, reassured herself.

--
On a cloud some distance from Ponyville, an orange Pegasus sat and surveyed the land and skies around him with apprehension. He lowered the goggles that had been holding back his turquoise mane. The goggles were thicker than normal, and even had a toggle switch sticking off of one side, which he proceeded to flip a few times.

His gaze turned towards Canterlot, and he followed something invisible to the naked eye, as it made its way rapidly to Ponyville library. He sighed and lifted the goggles back up. He flapped his wings as he stood up, flew towards Ponyville.

--
Twilight was now reading the new letter from Princess Celestia. It contained simple instructions, and details for what they had to do. She smiled, reassured that the Princess knew what to do to help. She passed the letter to Spike, and moved a few object out of the way. When she had some space, she went to a cupboard and found some chalk, which she used to copy the complex magic circle the Princess had sent to her.

“What the hay are you doin’ Twilight?” Applejack asked.

“It’s a spell the princess told me to do, it will give us access to what the elements of harmony have or will do, meaning we have full control from now on if we are in the past, present or future.” Twilight answered, still focusing on copying the circle just right.

“What does that mean?” Fluttershy meekly admitted ignorance. Twilight quickly glanced up, utterly unimpressed.

“Simply put, so far, the elements of loyalty and laughter have forced Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie into alternate timelines, which they eventually got out of. These are like futures that won't happen anymore. The elements of harmony are in full control of where in time we end up, so this spell will allow us to travel freely through time, beating the elements to activating the alternate futures they set up.” Twilight repeated, as simply as she could.

“I don’t get it though,” Rainbow Dash spoke up, “why are they turning against us?” she questioned.

“Honestly, I don’t really understand it myself. Maybe something has changed, and they’re trying to fix it. We won’t know, but if we don’t act, it could be bad, not just for us, but for all of Equestria.” Twilight responded after a moments thought.

“I think I understand. So this will then let us stop them meanies, and we won’t have to wait for each to set it up first.” Pinkie Pie added, bouncing.

Twilight shook her head in surprise. How did Pinkie Pie understand that? Twilight had expected Rainbow Dash to get it first, and Rainbow had only ever read magazines before, nothing as complex as what Twilight was getting at.

“Yes, Pinkie, that’s what I mean.” Twilight replied, double checking the markings.

“But how will it work for what the element of laughter did? Dashie said the other me had said that future would only exist in her while she was used to stop Dashie dying again.” Pinkie stated.

Rainbow Dash’s eyes became tiny at the mention of her death the other Pinkie that died had mentioned. It wasn’t something she wanted to even think about at that moment. The other ponies however, were trying to really understand what Pinkie Pie had said.

“Um,” Twilight paused, as she ran over her interpretation of Pinkie’s words again, “well, I guess we’d have to have one of us go and see if there’s a sign that indicates the timeline there had Rainbow die.”

“Now hang on a sec Twilight,” Applejack spoke up, “go where? What exactly does this spell do?”

“It should be simple, I hope. We know exactly what happened with the element of loyalty, so, Rainbow Dash, come stand in the middle of the circle.” Twilight ordered.

Slowly, Rainbow Dash walked over to the middle and stood. She resisted a little as Twilight forced her to lay down, then watched nervously as Twilight’s horn glowed. The chalk glowed in turn, and a soft, warming light flowed through Rainbow Dash. Suddenly, all the worries of the last hour and fifteen minutes washed away, as the light seemed to warm every part of her body.

As quickly as it had filled her, the light and its warmth left Rainbow’s body, and she shivered, feeling much colder. She glanced to her right, and saw Twilight was grinning at her own accomplishment, Spike stood beside her, his face full of wonder, and the rest had their jaws dropped. Rainbow stood up and looked in the same direction, her jaw dropping as she saw what they were all looking at.

Against a wall was what looked like clear rippling water. It only showed an image of Rainbow Dash, and nothing beyond it.

“Right, Rainbow, what was it that happened when you said you had blacked out?” Twilight asked, getting nearer.

“Ponyville was on fire. But wait, you can’t go through! What about the corruption that set in?” Rainbow asked, standing in Twilight’s way.

“Part of the spell is that, for each element already sorted out, when we walk in, we can only be observers.” Twilight replied, side stepping Rainbow Dash.

“You’re not going through alone. I’m coming with you.” Rainbow Dash protested, even though she didn’t really want to go.

Twilight offered no protest, then both ponies stood side by side, and entered the liquid.

--
They were looking at the ruins of the hospital, on the bed was Rainbow Dash, where she had woken up during her mysterious black out. Twilight glanced around, a little too fascinated by the destructed surroundings.

“It’s so weird seeing myself over there…” Rainbow muttered.

“Well, is this what you saw?” Twilight asked.

“Yes, Twilight. Can we get out of here? The memory isn’t that pleasant.” Rainbow muttered again, backing up a little.

--
Both fillies walked out of the portal at the basement of the library, Rainbow Dash sat in a corner, laying flat, her eyes staring at the floor. Twilight however, was happy.

“Success. We have full access to the alternate future the element of loyalty created. Now, Pinkie Pie, your turn.” Twilight stated.

The next two hours saw Twilight using the spell on the other ponies, only entering Pinkie Pie’s. The rest she left alone as she would not be an observer in them. At the end, she instructed Rarity on how to cast the spell on Twilight.

The end result was six liquid portals, each with a picture of the ponies the spell had been cast on.

“Right. Now that’s done, we just need to figure out who goes first.” Twilight said, looking between Fluttershy, Rarity and Applejack.

They all shivered a little, and Rainbow Dash thought she heard Spike walking on the main floor of the library, near the door to the basement. She questioned to herself for a moment as to why his steps sounded more like hooves, but mentioned nothing.

Fluttershy shifted. She definitely didn’t want to do this, but whatever was wrong with the elements was doing bad things to her friends… even so far as killing Rainbow! That had to be stopped! …if her friends were ok with that.

“Um, Twilight. Maybe I should go first.” Fluttershy offered.

“Are you sure darling?” Rarity asked, looking concerned for her friend.

“Yes, I mean, I hold the element of kindness, how bad could it be?” Fluttershy reasoned, smiling.

“Well, if you’re sure, Fluttershy. Remember, when you’re on the other side, you alone will be able to see the portal back. Use it if things start to go bad.” Twilight offered helpfully.

Slowly and cautiously, Fluttershy walked up to the liquid that held her picture. She bit her lower lip, and carefully walked through. Twilight meanwhile rubbed her eyes, tilted her head and looked at the other ponies.

“Did any of you just see an orange streak head in after Fluttershy?” she asked.

--
Fluttershy gasped at the sight she was met with after stepping through the portal. She was standing in a forest, the tree canopies growing far above. Occasionally, the sound of birds singing could be heard, and from the sky above the trees, a light rainfall reached the ground. It smelled different than any forest she ever knew.

She smiled at the sight. It at least contrasted all the horrible things Rainbow Dash had said she had been through.

“I wonder where I am.” she asked herself, hopeful for a moment that she would meet some new interesting animal friends. She decided to step back through the portal and bring Twilight, to get a better idea of where the forest stood, and she turned around. Her eyes widened with sudden shock.

Where the portal should have been behind her, was empty air, and a pathway leading in one direction through the forest.

Fluttershy suddenly felt scared and all alone. She stared hopelessly where the portal should have been, but now wasn’t. She was stuck at some point in time, with only herself to count on.