• Published 5th Dec 2012
  • 965 Views, 10 Comments

The One Shot Repository - thehalfelf



An assortment of one shots that don't really go anywhere else.

  • ...
0
 10
 965

Pony Pet Prank Date

Pony Pet Prank Date

Chaos. Madness. Absolute unadulterated anarchy, of the highest order. Creatures raced back and forth, keeping both the ground and the air in a maelstrom of fur, feathers, and scales. The crowd surged back and forth, mindlessly following their yellow overlord; she herself rushing to put together the last bits she needed to fill the ever-important picnic basket.

“You may recall that you are not meeting the others for another hour yet, Fluttershy,” Discord said, dodging around another pocket of squirrels following the pegasus on her latest trip across the main room of her small cottage.

“But I still have so much to get ready. The birds need to be fed, the rabbit hutch cleaned, and I still have to finish the snacks I said I would bring, plus make something to bring for Angel in case he gets hungry.” Fluttershy flew back to the kitchen, bringing her cadre of followers.

Discord floated lazily along behind. He pulled along Fluttershy’s picnic basket and blanket, watching her being throwing things together for the packed lunch. “And what is on the menu for today?”

From a cabinet Fluttershy produced a fresh loaf of bread and fixings. She set them down and glanced at Discord, still floating by the door. “Sandwiches”

“And for Twilight?”

Fluttershy studiously ignored Discord’s single wiggling eyebrow. “A sandwich.”

Just a sandwich?”

“Yes.”

“A sandwich made with lOoOoOve?”

Pony and Draconequus stared one another down. Some of the more sensitive animals scattered for cover. “Just a sandwich,” Fluttershy confirmed. She spun around, ending the conversation, and set about making six sandwiches, an assortment of assorted pet treats, and one salad.

Discord sighed. His rehabilitation with his Dear Fluttershy had officially ended months ago, but she was too stubborn to let him help solve her problem.

Though she had two, actually, in that she refused to acknowledge the existence of the first.

“You should tell her,” Discord said as Fluttershy carefully stowed lunch for later.

Fluttershy sighed. “I couldn’t do that. It... It isn’t fair to the rest of the girls.”

“Oh, a new one. Had enough of that, ‘what if she says no,’ or ‘I’m too scared,’ or ‘what if she already likes somepony else?’”

The lightest tinge of red dusted Fluttershy’s cheeks, but she maintained eye contact. “I have never said any of those things.”

Discord waved a hand dismissively. “Said, thought, acted, it’s all the same, isn’t it? The point is that you aren’t getting any hot, purple--”

Half a tomato flew across the room, startling him to silence. Fluttershy turned as well, to see a very irate Angel Bunny, standing to one side of the kitchen and tapping a foot.

“Angel, it is not nice to throw food,” Fluttershy said, though with more relief than anger. Without waiting for a response, or another argument from Discord, she packed a blanket on top of her basket, nestled it between her wings, and walked towards the door. Angel followed, quickly forcing his way to the head of the following furry flock.

Discord quickly rushed from the room, barely managing to get in front of the pegasus before she left. “Okay, okay, fine. I tell you what. I’ll drop it, never say a peep about it again, if you try this one little thing. But, if I’m right, I get told-you-so rights until the end of everything ever. All you have to do...”

Before Fluttershy could answer, DIscord darted down and whispered something in her ear. It was all so simple. If it didn’t work, he’d never say another thing. If it did...

Fluttershy felt her cheeks heat up again. “Deal,” she said, and quickly slipped out the door.

Discord chuckled. “Oh, she is going to get there very early...”

<><><><><>

Twilight grumbled staring down at the meticulous, color-coded parchment hovering near her muzzle. A miscalculation, a thirty minute mixup meant she was at the park, the prearranged meeting place for this week’s pony-pet play date, early.

Alone.

Well, Owlouscious was sitting in a nearby tree, napping while waiting, but she was mostly alone. It never ceased to be surprising how an owl would willingly leave the tree at noon just to play with the other pets.

Did true friendship extended beyond the confines of high intelligence in such a way? Assuming so, that meant the magic of friendship could be affecting much, much more than just ponies and the other civilized species, allowing for even closer ties between those who--

“Oh! H-Hello, Twilight.”

A soft voice broke the unicorn from her thoughts. Twilight turned and smiled as Fluttershy rounded the corner. She reached out with her magic and plucked the wicker basket from between her friend’s wings. “Hey, Fluttershy. Got ahead of yourself too?”

“Y-You could say that.” Fluttershy approached and, at Twilight’s prompting, took a seat next to her on a bench.

The two sat in silence, watching Angel meet with Owlouscious in the shade of his tree. The two seemed to chitter for a moment, before the two began racing around the tree and nearby park, playing.

“So,” Twilight said, lifting a corner of the picnic blanket to peer at the basket contents underneath, “what are we eating this week?”

“Sandwiches on fresh bread, with fresh flowers and seasoning from the gardens, and l-lettuce.”

Twilight glanced up at her friend’s hesitation. “Is everything okay? You’re stuttering, more than usual, I mean.”

“I... Well, I, um... I...” Fluttershy shifted nervously on the bench, unable to look her friend in the eye. “I have to tell you something.”

Twilight quirked an eyebrow and shifted more to face her friend, her posture becoming more serious. “Of course. What’s on your mind.”

“I... I can’t tell you when you’re looking at me. Can you cover your eyes. Um, pretty please?”

Twilight’s eyebrows swapped elevation, but she nodded, and after only a moment's hesitation covered her eyes with her hooves.

The moment stretched on with no sound from Fluttershy’s side of the bench except for fast, nervous breathing. Twilight was just about to prompt her friend, or even take her hooves down, when she felt something against her cheek. Something faint, wet, and hesitant.

Every train of thought in Twilight’s mind derailed, simultaneously. A single, lonely manual rail cart was dispatched, its only job to try and restore some semblance of normalcy to the unicorn’s poor, fractured mind.

Kiss. Kiss. Kiss. Kiss. Fluttershy kiss. Fluttershy kissed me. Kiss. Fluttershy just kissed my cheek.

Finally.

Job accomplished, the single rail cart rolled back to rest as Twilight’s normal trains of thought began organizing cargo and resuming their runs.

On the bench, the actual unicorn leapt into action. Or, more accurately, pounced into action. In one single motion, she lunged forward, placing one hoof behind Fluttershy’s head, and one behind her rump, and simultaneously pulling the pegasus forward while falling herself, leaving the two locked in an embrace. She felt something wiggle against her barrel before Angel popped out and scurried away.

“Fluttershy, I must say I’m pleasantly surprised.” Twilight unconsciously dropped her voice lower, huskier, making it instantly more intimate. “I had hardly dared to hope you returned my feelings, and had not expected you to take matters into your own hooves.”

“I... You... This... I... I didn’t... You are... You...” Fluttershy stuttered, unable to string together anything resembling a full thought. The fur of their coats rubbed together, the heat of their bodies mixed.

Twilight hushed her, bringing their muzzles closer together. “You don’t have to explain anything,” she practically whispered, “we can talk, at length later. Right now, I just want to enjoy this.”

The distance between them shrunk further, until Fluttershy swore she could feel every puff of breath from Twilight. She watched her friend’s eyes flutter shut as she moved in to close the last little bit of distance.

Something in Fluttershy panicked. She shoved hard, sending Twilight tumbling to the ground in hurt and shock. Immediately, she apologized on reflex. “I’m sorry,. I’m sorry, that’s not what I meant to do! I just, you were so close, and getting closer and... and...”

Seeing pain in Twilight’s eyes, Fluttershy powered on. “Discord, it was Discord. He made me make this silly promise in return for not bugging me about y-- something. So I held up Angel Bunny and touched his little nose to your cheek so you thought I’d kissed you and I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to hurt you or push you but you were so close and I panicked and... and..”

She trailed off, seeing blush start to color Twilight’s cheeks. “So, you made me think you’d kissed me because Discord told you to?”

“Yes! I-I mean, no, but...”

“That... That is really mean.” The blush was fading now, replaced by the beginning of tears.

The voice of Discord himself floated through Fluttershy’s mind, though whether due to memory or the creature himself speaking was anypony’s guess. “It might work out, she might like you too. You’ll never know until you put yourself out there.”

Fluttershy took a moment to center herself, carefully ignoring the tears welling in Twilight’s eyes. “I did it because I wanted to. To k-k-kiss you, I mean, but I was always too afraid. I didn’t want you to turn me down, or to put any strain between us, or any of the other girls. So I’m sorry, I played a mean trick.”

“So... You do...?” Twilight muttered, raising herself off the ground warily.

Fluttershy tried to speak, squeaked out some half-thoughts, then nodded.

Twilight pulled her front half up onto the bench and stared into her friend’s blue eyes. “You mean it?”

Fluttershy nodded again.

The two slowly drew closer again, both sets of eyes fluttering shut as their muzzles drew ever closer to touching.

“Ya better go faster than that, Dash, or Ah’m gonna beat’cha!”

Fluttershy and Twilight flew apart as Dash and Applejack bounded up the hill towards them. Rarity and Pinkie soon joined from the other direction, and the pet play date was officially on.

Later that night, Fluttershy filled in Discord over evening tea.

He invoked his right to told-you-so. Many times.

Author's Note:

Story loosely based on a comic I found on Reddit, here.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment