• Published 5th Dec 2012
  • 965 Views, 10 Comments

The One Shot Repository - thehalfelf



An assortment of one shots that don't really go anywhere else.

  • ...
0
 10
 965

A Filly and her Plushie

Ok filly, you got this, Vinyl thought to herself as she stared down Octavia, today is the day. You can do this.

“Octavia, there is something I want to tell you.” Vinyl said, mentally preparing herself for the worst.

“What is it Vinyl?” Octavia replied, curiosity evident in her voice.

“I... I... Grrr. I can’t say it!” Vinyl took a long look at Octavia, before picking her up in a halo of light blue magic and putting her back in the cupboard she usually resided in.

Way to go Vinyl, you can’t even tell a bucking plushie how you feel. How are you going to say anything to the mare herself? Vinyl lowered her head, holding it in her forehooves. I’m hopeless...

Vinyl stood up, her hooves immediately beginning her favorite pacing routine. Five steps towards the door, turn, two steps to her turntables, turn, three to her bed, repeat. Five steps towards the door, turn, two steps to her turntables...

Maybe...maybe it’s because I’m trying in my room. I always try in my room. Why would I tell Octavia how I feel in my room? It would probably happen in the living room... Maybe if i try there... With that, Vinyl released “little Tavi” from her hiding place, and carried her lovingly into the front room of the apartment the two mares shared.

Little Tavi was put down on one end of the couch, Octavia’s favorite end, and Vinyl sat in her chair. Vinyl stared at the plushie for a moment, mustering her thoughts into a spearhead of brilliance, before squinting her eyes shut and speaking.

“OctaviaI’msorrybutIloveyoudon’thinkI’mweirdwanttogoouttodinnersometimesoon?” The words practically exploded from Vinyl, each sound barely being formed before it was expelled by the one following it. She took in a deep breath, and let it out in a long, lilting laugh that bubbled up from her very core. “Look at me, swooning over a little plushie. Celestia I need help...”

The plushie itself did not bother Vinyl as much as it used to. Lyra had gotten it for her as a gift the last time she visited her and Bon Bon in Ponyville, as a joke. Of course, as soon as Vinyl saw it, she immediately suspected the worst...

***

“How did you know!? Tell me!” Vinyl shouted, shooting forward so she was almost muzzle to muzzle with her oldest friend.

“Know what Vinyl? Why are you getting your tail all twisted over this? It was a joke, jeez. Calm down.” Lyra replied, pushing Vinyl away with a hoof.

Vinyl blinked. “O...Of course it was. Ha ha. Funny....”

“Seriously Vinyl, what’s got you so worked up about this?”

Vinyl took the plushie from Lyra, quickly putting it in her saddlebag. Before the other mare could ask any questions, she said “Sorry, gotta run Lyra. Train leaves soon”

“W...What?” Lyra spluttered, “you just got here. How can your train be leaving so soon?” She never heard as reply as Vinyl dashed off soon after. “Whatever. That mare gets weirder and weirder every time I see her. It was just a plushie of her roommate... Wait a minute...” Lyra broke into a grin. “Oh!”

Lyra walked back to the little apartment she shared with her own marefriend, silently wishing her friend luck with her romantic endeavors.

***

Lost in thought, Vinyl almost missed the sound of their front door opening. She frantically searched for a hiding place in the small room. Finding none, she quickly grabbed the plushie in her magic grip, and shoved it behind her own body, adjusting herself until she thought it was entirely hidden from view.

‘Vinyl, I’m home!” Octavia called form the entry. “Vinyl? Are you here?”

“Y...Yeah Tavi. Living room!” Vinyl replied, praying to Celestia, Luna, and every other equine goddess she could think of that Octavia would give her an opportunity to hide Little Tavi.

Octavia walked into the room, quickly taking the seat that was occupied moments before by Little Tavi. She noticed the odd position her roommate was sitting in, but chalked it up to one of Vinyl’s eccentricities.

“Hey Vinyl, what’s up?” Octavia asked, carefully placing her saddle bag on the table in front of the couch.

“N-Nothing much Tavi. What’s up with you?” VInyl replied, very smoothly.

Obviously, she had a very stressful day, which she spent the next half hour complaining about in vivid detail to her captive audience.

“I’m so glad you asked Vinyl, I had the most dreadful day. First, I got to the recital hall where we usually practice, you know the one, just to find out that Beauty Brass decided that we should have it in her own house, almost a mile away!”

Vinyl nodded, not really paying attention.

“So, of course I went as quickly as I could. But when I got there, that mare had the gall to bring up the fact that I was the only one who was late. Apparently she had told everypony else that the meeting was moved, I just happened to miss the stupid memo. I know, for a fact, that she did not tell me. You know how organized I am with things.”

“Mmhm.”

“So Her Highness decides that we should start practicing for the Summer Sun Celebration, which is months away! I tried to politely remind her of this, and of the impending performance in the Lunar Hall for Princess Luna’s birthday in two weeks, but no. Apparently we already know all we need for that, even though I know that Silver String still struggles with some parts of it.”

“What a whorse.”

“Vinyl, don’t be so crass. Anyway, like I was saying, so of course everypony decides that we have to obey Her Highness and we wasted the whole day practicing for an event that isn’t even close to being here. Then, after practice, I made it a point to ask Beauty Brass where our next practice would be, so I wouldn’t be late. She just smiled, and said that it would be, ‘where it always is, darling, you should know that.’ I swear Vinyl, some days I want to just murder that mare.”

“No reason to get your pretty little hooves dirty Tavi. Just say the word and I’ll have it taken care of.”

“Vinyl there is really no reason to talk like that. And just to make everything worse, while I was walking home, I stubbed my hoof. It really hurts Vinyl. A lot.”

“Weeeell, as fun as that sounds, I’m going to go get some food.” Vinyl got about halfway up before she remembered what she was hiding. She quickly sat back down. “On second thought, why don’t you go take a shower, and relax while I make dinner in a minute...? Heh heh...”

“Um... sure...?” Vinyl is being weird... Er. Octavia thought to herself as she walked to the bathroom.

As soon as Octavia left the room, Vinyl bolted up. Gripping Little Tavi in her magic, she quickly and quietly made her way to her room. Right as she was stashing the plushie in it’s normal hiding place, she heard a noise behind her.

“Vinyl. What are you doing?” Octavia’s voice pierced through the room like an arrow, aimed straight at Vinyl’s center of fear.

“N...Nothing Tavi. I thought you were in the shower...?” Vinyl replied, hoping her blush wouldn’t show. Of course it’ll show, you idiot, your coat is white!

“You were acting weird, and I was worried. So what was that? What’s in that cabinet you never let me open?”

“Nothing Tavi. Go take your shower and forget about it.” Vinyl was terrified. Everything would be ruined if Octavia opened that cabinet.

“Let me see.”

“No.”

“Vinyl...”

“Do you not trust me Tavi?” The accusation stung more than Vinyl could ever know.

“Of course I trust you. I’m just curious...”

“If it is really such a big bucking deal, look inside then.”

“No it’s fine I’ll just...”

“Look.” Octavia hesitated for a moment, courage battling out with trust. Courage won in the end. Octavia opened the cabinet, and reached a forehoof in to find...

A cello. A beautiful, masterfully crafted cello. Vinyl was almost in tears. “Are you happy now, Tavi? You ruined the surprise I had planned for your birthday.”

“M...My birthday. But this cello. It...It must have cost a fortune. Why would you spend so much on me...?”

“Because I bucking love you, you beautiful, oblivious, amazing mare. That’s why.”

Octavia stood in shock. She used an educated word. I’m so prou-- Wait. She said... She said she... “You love me?”

“Yes. I want to be your marefriend. I have since we started living together. In fact, that is one of the main reasons I wanted to be your roommate... so that maybe I would eventually pluck up the courage to tell you.”

Octavia sat in thought. Sure, she had had very special someponies before, but it never seemed to work out. But Vinyl was...different. Different from everypony she had ever called her friends, the exact opposite of Octavia, the other half to a whole. Was it really worth possibly damaging the best friendship she had? Almost as soon as she asked herself, she had her answer. “Yes.”

Vinyl stared, astonished. “Yes?”

Octavia walked forward and planted a kiss on the end of Vinyl’s nose. “Yes.”

“Yes!” Vinyl jumped in the air, beaming so hard it looked painful. As soon as she returned to Equestria, she said, “you can have the cello, by the way. No use in hiding it from you now.”

Now it was Octavia’s turn to beam. She carefully removed the cello from it’s resting place, but noticed something else as she did so. She held out the plushie to Vinyl, questions and concern vying for dominance of her thoughts.

“Vinyl... What is this?”

There was a pause. “Shit.”


Author’s Note:
So, this idea came to me while editing a friend’s story. He told me to write something funny, so I did. A very truncated version of this is what emerged. So, as I sat bored out of my mind in school, laptop humming away in front of me, I decided I would flesh it out.
This is going under the One Shot archive. It does not deserve it’s own story. Either way, I hope you enjoyed it.
Thanks to the team and InsanityCorps for prereading.

-thehalfelf