• Published 8th Jan 2012
  • 1,409 Views, 4 Comments

My Friend Pinkie - Namechanger



Apple Bloom spends her day wit Pinkie Pie, what fun!

  • ...
 4
 1,409

My Friend Pinkie (Full Story)

My Friend Pinkie
By AProffesionalBrony


“Pinkie, you’re such a klutz!” Apple Bloom said, laughing at the pink pony who had just dropped the tray of cupcake batter on the floor.

Apple Bloom was so excited to help Pinkie make sweets with her, if they even get to that part. She wasn’t feeling to good this morning, and wanted to do something to bring up her spirits. That was the second tray Pinkie dropped after breaking into song, for the second time.

“I’m sorry, Apple Bloom, I can’t help it, don’t you ever feel like singing?!” the pink pony said with excitement, cleaning up the spilt batter as she did, it was really tough to get out, sticking to the tile floor.

“Let me help ya’ with that!” Apple Bloom ran to Pinkie, “It’s not that Ah’ don’t like signin’, it’s just... Ah’m not good at it,”.

“Not good at signing!” Pinkie gasped, “everypony is good at singing! Maybe you just haven’t discovered your singing talent!”

“Pinkie, Ah’m pretty sure Sweetie Belle’s talent is that, Ah’ just wish ah’ knew my talent” Apple Bloom sighed, looking down at the dough covered floor. Knowing Apple Bloom, Pinkie knew how she felt about being a ‘blank flank’ as the fillies at school called her. Maybe Pinkie could cheer her up!

“Listen, Apple Bloom, why don’t you hang with me, all day!” Pinkie said, looking up. Apple Bloom looked up to and their eyes met. A smile grew on both of their faces, but Apple Blooms slowly faded as she had a thought,
“Pinkie, I don’t know if this is going to make me happier or sadder,”

“Sadder, shmadder! Sad is not in the dictionary of Pinkamina Pie! Help me clean this up, and we can get going!”

“Ah’right, fine,” Apple Bloom shrugged. It was a quick clean up, and so was the song Pinkie sang while doing it. “Gee, y’all really do like to sing!” Apple Bloom said, unhoofing her ears, “Ya’ ready?”

“Okey Dokey Lokey!”

They proceeded to the door, Apple Bloom stepping, and Pinkie was bouncing all over the place. Apple Bloom’s head went up and down and up and down, as the pink pony pranced, laughing to herself as she did. Apple Bloom proceeded to ask, “Pinkie, why do ya’ jump up n’ down all tha’ time?”
Pinkie was still prancing as she did, and by the time she started to speak, they were out the door, “I dunno’, I always thought hopping was better then trotting, plus... I’m so happy!”

“But y’all are always happy!” Apple Bloom said, trotting next to her. Pinkie took a look at her, and another warm smile went upon her face.

“There’s nothing wrong with being happy all the time, you sillyfilly!” Pinkie said, “Why don’t you try!” With that, Apple Bloom tried to catch the beat with the pink mare, and there she was, bouncing up and down! Apple Bloom never thought of how jumping could make you so happy, and she felt excited to. At this glance, Pinkie didn’t seem so strange after all, and now she was glad she made the choice to go make cupcakes with her!

How about that! They were both prancing down the lane, dodging the other ponies, and laughed at each other, and Apple Bloom asked, “So, Pinkie, what do ya’ wanna’ do today?”

“Oh! You’re right, I thought it would be fun to just jump around all day, but we can do other things, like see what our friends are up to, get some food, or we could go prancing around in the Everfree Forest!” Pinkie exclaimed, stopping in place, and bringing her face only inches away from the small, yellow filly.

“The Everfree Forest sounds fun, but are you sure it’s safe? Last time I went there, Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle, and I almost got turned to stone by a cockatrice,” Apple Bloom said, remembering the time when Fluttershy came to save them.

“Cockatrice? Those things don’t come out in the summer! And besides, you’re here with your good ol’ Aunt Pinkie!” she said, rubbing her hoof on Apple Bloom’s head, rustling up her hair and bow. Apple Bloom agreed, and she had to admit, besides the cockatrice, she really did enjoy the Everfree Forest, and Zecora lived out there.

They proceeded to the outskirts of Ponyville, and arrived to the edge of the tree line behind Fluttershy’s home. They could here all the creatures in the forest, and pranced right on in. There was so much to see, all the tree’s were tall, the animals were colourful, and the sound enthralled Pinkie. “O Apple Bloom, isn’t this so exciting! I could just sing about it!” and she took a deep breath. Apple Bloom stopped hoping and covered her ears again, knowing how loud Pinkie would like to sing.

She could see Pinkie’s mouth moving, but all it made were muffled noises, like a trombone or another type of brass instrument. The song was obviously filled with incredibly high pitched Pinkie voice, as it went through, and dancing, lots of Pinkie dancing. She bounced around even more, off the trees, into the bushes, and brushing past Apple Bloom, only to have her snout snagged on Pinkie’s long, puffed up, cotton candy like hair. After that, Apple Bloom realized that she never really did pay attention to the lyrics of her songs. She let go of her ears ever so gently, and let Pinkie’s wonderful voice fill her head. Pinkie actually sang good, she thought Sweetie Belle was the best singer, but Pinkie was just awesome! Every minute that passed made Apple Bloom gain more and more respect for Pinkie.

As she finished signing, Apple Bloom spoke,
“Wow, Pinkie, Ah’ never knew y’all could sing so good!” but Pinkie looked in confusion as she asked,
“Wait, I sing for you all the time, how could you not know?”

“Well, Ah’ usually just cover my ears up, Ah’ don’t like to sing very much, remember?” She said, and then Pinkie rebated with, “Well, next time I start, join me!”

Apple Bloom laughed, “Let’s not and say we did, Pinkie,” and they continued on down the dirt path through the forest. The sun was reaching high into the sky, and it seemed to be about noon by Pinkie guess, but Pinkie wasn’t the best at telling time herself, or guessing for any other matter. They trotted, bounce, and skipped around for a while. To their luck, they stumbled upon a small lake.
“Check this out!” Pinkie said, picking up a stone, and flicked it across the water.

“Can Ah’ try?” Apple Bloom asked, as Pinkie handed her a smooth stone. It was an oval like rock, with small bumps in it, perfect for skipping. Apple Bloom threw her arm back and tossed it forward, making a big splash in the water, no skips.

“Oh, ponyfeathers!” she sighed in disappointment, as Pinkie put an arm around her,
“Don’t get down, here, have another,” and she handed another rock to her from a small pile she made. The pile was an assortment of smooth stones, they were like clones of each other, and had the same holes and bumps on them.

Again, it was another failure, and it made Apple Bloom more frustrated, “See, Apple Bloom, you have to flick your hoof to give it that jolt and spin!” Pinkie said, jolting forward and spinning in place. Pinkie’s funny movements made Apple Bloom feel a bit better, and she gave it another go. This time, she was able to skip the stone three times, making circles in the water as she did. She had done it, with the help of Pinkie Pie.

“Thanks, Pinkie,” she said with glistening eyes, and Pinkie excepted her gratitude. To Pinkie, it was just a quick lesson on how to flick stones, but to Apple Bloom it was something more, like a bonding. They continued to skip their stones, until the small pile of them was gone.

That only passed a good five minutes, but they laughed all throughout. Spending time with Pinkie was fun! “Hey, Pinkie, let’s go find somethin’ else ta’ do,” she recommended, and Pinkie agreed.

They continued to follow the trail, admiring more animals, and skipping over some puddles that laid in the ground. They made a pretty good pair, and Apple Bloom never realized how much they had in to share with each other, like there activities, likes, and friends.

“So, Pinkie, what do you like ta’ do in your spare time?” she asked, walking along,

“I like to bake cupcakes and hang out with my friends, I’m sure you know them! There’s Twilight and Fluttershy and Rarity and Rainbow Dash and Applejack!”

“Pinkie, Ah’ know who my sister and her friends are. Ah’ mean, why are y’all so happy all the time? You never seem low or mad bout’ anythin’,”

Pinkie thought for a second, just to come up with a reasonable answer, then she said, “Well, why do you seem so down on a lot of things? I’m happy because I see everything as a great opportunity to make my friends laugh, even me!”

“Ah’ don’t look down on most things! Ah’ guess Ah’m just a little sore not havin’ a cutie mark like the others,” Apple Bloom sighed, and she was right.

“Why don’t you tell your sister Applejack about how you feel?” Pinkie stopped bouncing. She kept a steady pace with the small filly as they proceeded farther into the forest.

“Ah’ do, but she never listens, and when Ah’ tell my friends, they just nod, because they feel the same way Ah’ do,”

Pinkie could tell that this was bringing Apple Bloom down and thought they should stop talking about it. Pinkie tried to come up with a new topic, like baking or anything else. The sun was still high, and they had just begun their journey. Breaking into song wouldn’t really help right there.

“Apple Bloom, c’mon, do you want to head back, maybe get some food?” she said, turning around.

“Fine, fine,”

When they reached the end of the forest again, the sunlight shined down, and reflected of the green grass. It was such a beautiful sight, but there was no time to take long looks, Apple Bloom had already started towards the market, but to Pinkie’s surprise, she started hopping up and down. That was a good sign, maybe it was just the forest that was making her glum.

The market was filled with other ponies, and the pair pranced their way over to one of the small tables. They looked for a cart with some treats or apples. Pinkie spotted a nice cart with some muffins, and Apple Bloom spotted an apple cart. They both grabbed what they wanted, and met back up. Apple Bloom carried a small amount of food, big enough for her and a little more for Pinkie, but the party mare brought over what would be called ‘a buffet of mashed up food and pastry’.

“Have some!” Pinkie scooped a big mashed up piece of the different mixtures, and shoveled it over to the small filly. Not rejecting it, she picked the food up, and put it in her mouth. It tasted like a whole bunch of colorful flavors and juices, nothing like she had ever tasted before. It was probably one of the oddest things she had ever experienced, and spat it out, not realizing how disgusting it was as she tried to bite down on it. Once it hit her tongue, she thought, “Yes, that’s gross,”.

Pinkie, not noticing, had already sunk her head down into it, and was spreading it all around, chomping huge gulps down into her pink belly. Apple Bloom could only watch with her mouth open at the completely disgusting and hilarious sight. She was blindly reaching for a carrot, paying no attention to the table, only Pinkie, and grabbed hold of one, and nibbled on it.
“Pinkie... what are ya’ eatin’?”

The pony lifted her head, covered in the mash, and began a long list of foods that seemed good, but in their present state, gross.
“There’s cake, and cream, and apples, and celery, and cookies, and carrots, and-”
“Okay, Pinkie, that’s enough, but why do ya’ eat this?”
“Why don’t you?”
“Cause’ it’s gross!”
“Not to me!” Pinkie said, diving back in.

Apple Bloom may not have noticed it now, but Pinkie just taught her a good lesson, some ponies don’t always like what you like, everypony is different. After Pinkie finished, she let out an extremely loud belch, which made both of them giggle. Apple Bloom had finished her small carrots and apples, and was ready to continue on.

“This is so fun! What’s next!” Pinkie shouted, hopping around. Apple Bloom thought hard, what could they do? It was only the late afternoon, so they had time to do one more thing, and call it a day. They left the market , and just cruised around the lanes of Ponyville.

“Ah’ guess we can go to th’ apple orchards, they always have surprises, and Ah’ love walking through them in the afternoon,” she suggested, and Pinkie thought that sounded swell. The continued towards Apple Bloom’s own home, Sweet Apple Acres, and walked through the gate that led to the orchards themselves. The leaves were very green, and the apples were very ripe.

“Hey, Pinkie, check this out,” Apple Bloom nudged, and the yellow filly lifted up a lying piece of spare of rope from the ground, wrapped her red tail around it, and it was just long enough for her to twirl around and snatch an apple off of a tree. She then gave it a quick yank with her mouth, pulling it from it’s hinges, and into her mouth. She ate the core and all, spitting out the seeds in a fine line. The sight was very interesting, and caught Pinkie’s attention from afar.

Pinkie laughed, and picked an apple herself, biting into the juicy fruit, and making a crunchy noise. “Wanna try?” Apple Bloom extended the rope, and Pinkie took it joyfully. Pinkie tried to remember how Apple Bloom did it, but was unable to recreate the actions Apple Bloom was able to do just seconds ago.

Apple Bloom chuckled at the sight of the pink pony’s terrible try. Pinkie was soon getting frustrated after many tries, but to no avail. Whip after whip, smack after smack, Pinkie’s moral kept lowering at each failed attempt.

“Oh, I’m not very good at this, am I?” Pinkie asked, and Apple Bloom nodded. Pinkie, getting more upset, tried much more, but couldn’t do it.

“Lemme’ help ya’ with this,” Apple Bloom reached out, “it’s just like down by the pond, Pinkie, remember? It’s like skippin’ rocks, flick ya’ tail like ya’ flick ya’ hooves,” she finished with a hushed voice.

With that, Pinkie followed her advice, and after a few more tries, she had done it! An apple laid on the ground with a rope tied around it. That sealed their full connection, and found themselves as true friends.

After that, they tried to play some fun games in the orchard, like having small races and playing jump robe with the extra rope. They talked a lot, too, and came up with fun ideas they could do the next time they meet.
“Maybe Ah’ could bring over Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo next time, and we can do so much more!”
“Sure, I’d love to show you more things, it’s just the time, not enough in each day, ya’ know?” Pinkie sighed,
“Could ya’ throw us a party next time?” Apple Bloom asked, hoping she said yes,
“Yes!”

The sun was getting low by the time they had finished prancing around the orchard for a long time, discussing their thoughts and opinions. After, they finally had to admit that their day was done, and the night was soon coming up over the horizon. Pinkie Pie walked Apple Bloom back to her own home.
“Thanks, Pinkie, for everything, Ah’ had lot’s of fun,” she looked up,
“For sure, Apple Bloom, I’m glad we could spend time together, you seemed down when you came in this morning, and I just wanted to cheer you up!”

She was about to close the door, when Pinkie stopped her, “Wait! I forgot, you haven’t sang a song with me yet, and I feel one coming on!”
“Aw, what the hay, let’s sing it,” Apple Bloom smiled,
“Okay,” she said, bringing her out into the front of the house, “I’ll start and then you can join in after you hear the chorus!”

Pinkie took a deep breath, and Apple Bloom didn’t cover her ears, and listened to the first verse and chorus. Then, the second verse came up, and it was time for the chorus.
“Ready?” Pinkie sang,
“Ready!” Apple Bloom shouted, and she began singing with Pinkie. Apple Bloom’s voice wasn’t as bad as she thought it was. Before, she was all off pitched, and out of key, now, she sounded much better! They sang together, and after they finished the song, and finished the the air in their lungs, they looked at each other, and smiled warmly.

“Thanks again, Pinkie, g’night,” Apple Bloom said,
“Good night, Apple Bloom,” Pinkie said, and started prancing away back to her own home.

Apple Bloom walked back to her home as the moon started to rise, and she went straight up to her room. She tucked herself in her bed, and noticed hoofsteps coming towards her door. It was her big sister, Applejack.

‘Howdy, darlin’, where were you all day?”
“Ah’ went out into town, and then through the forest,”
“Th’ forest, isn’t that a bit, uh, dangerous?” Applejack said, surprised.
“Ya, but Ah’ was with somepony else,” she said,

Applejack seemed interested in her sister’s story, and asked, “Was it with your ‘Cutie Mark Crusaders’?”
“Nope, and Ah’m glad it wasn’t, today Ah’ was able to make a new friend,” Apple Bloom said, looking out the window to the still prancing mare bouncing away,
“Who was that, sugarcube?” Applejack asked,

“It was... My friend Pinkie,”
“Pinkie? Well, Ah’ hope you to had fun,”
“Ya, Applejack, we did... we did,”

Comments ( 2 )

This is probably one of the better stories that I have read today. It flows nicely, and I didn't notice any spelling mistakes, nor any plot holes.

A few thongs I noticed:

1. Tense. You let your tenses slip, only slightly though. That didn't really faze the story, buuuuuut, tenses Is something that I am a bit picky on.

Something else: you seem to have added your own thoughts into the story. Now, not that that can be bad, but when writing in third person, you don't write it in how you have.

E.g: "Why don't we head over to Sweet Apple Acres?" she offered, and that sounded swell.

This would make sense if it was in first person, as you would be hearing only that person's thoughts. But because you can hear everyone's thoughts, you can get the thoughts confused with someone else's. Who's thoughts were those?

Anyway, hope I could be of some help.

Have fun, and don't stop writing! :scootangel:

Proving once again, we can learn so much by observing the Pinkie Pie in its natural habitat. It was a great story, 5 stared. Not much else to say really...

Login or register to comment