• Published 23rd Dec 2012
  • 598 Views, 16 Comments

Dismay Turned Discord - Reedling



An estranged alicorn. A disowned zebra. All leads to the creation of a monster.

  • ...
2
 16
 598

Chapter 20-Striped Memories

“The Crystal queen? Do you mean Crystalline or is it Prismia!?” Celestia remarked.

“I understand your anxieties about this new revelation but please keep a level mind when I explain further.”

“I think I get it Aurora. My mother is the granddaughter to a psychopath alicorn who is killing off her children.”

“There goes level headed...Hemera you can’t look at this so monotone. There are always reasons, feelings that can cloud our judgement. Why, just a moment ago we talked about this!”

“You’re infuriating, I don’t want to hear you speak anymore! I want to go home!”

“Celestia!” The phoenix's fire surged as she let out a deafening *KEY-WAAAH* Celestia shrieked in terror, flailing her hooves over her aching ears. “If you won’t listen to reason, then I guess should bring you home.”

“You mean it!” Celestia smiled, then winced a suspicious eye to her. “You are serious...right?”

“Utmost. Just follow me to the Mirror pond.” said Aurora. They flew down to a petite pond that held no reflection until Celestia gazed into it. “Envision your home and keep your mind clear of anything but.”

Celestia stared deep into the now rippling water. She couldn’t help but think of her dad, Clover and Chrysalis, the fact that she was so outmatched, so oblivious to what she had. She wanted her dad to be alive, and Luna to be sleeping under her pillows. For all of this to be an ill guided dream slowly becoming sour. The water had splashed against the ground hard enough to cover Celestia and Aurora. And the phoenix gave a weak chirp as her fire dulled red and orange.

“Do you wish me to bring you home Hemera? Your mind seems...occupied.”

“Let me try once more.” But like before Celestia’s mind was fixated elsewhere, as she closed her eyes to clear her mind only then did her thoughts stay on Luna and her promise and the pond’s water swirled with dark mud.

“Hemera!”

“No. I can do this, believe in me!”

Two bright turquoise eyes shined through the pond. “Well, well well...a foal of a sister and a phoenix? Is that the realm that aids you, if only I were innocent enough to have the light left in me. Then I could conquer not only Equestria but Hemera as well!”

Aurora dipped a talon into the water, rending the calm water to boil violently, forcing the other mirror to release its connection.

“Who was that?”

“That was a dimension where Serenity and you ignored Discord and she couldn’t not balance her emotions.”

“That...was Luna?”

“That was Discord...and Luna. You know why there is white and black magic, right?”

“No.” Celestia mumbled.

“Magic is a reflection of your true self. Those who can be harmonic are granted with strong white magic and those who descend-”

“They use black magic?”

“They would use black magic, if it was an ingredient or essence. Discord is black magic and all creations spawned from black magic can not ascend.”

“Like...the windigos?”

“Aye...Mor-Anemoi, Atë-Erebus and the-”

“The what?”

Aurora chirped innocently, her beak grinning. “I forget you speak from a different world. The Crystal ponies based much of their language on an ancient text. Let me translate, the Death-Winds and the Deceit-Shadows. They will never ascend from their chaotic nature. Unlike your sister they were not born pure, which is why she must take hold of her realm. It is the only way she can unlock Nyx without risking her sanity. Serenity is just the gateway to her true realm, just as Hemera is to yours.”

“Does that mean you were once a Crystal pony?”

The phoenix gave a quick high pitched chirp, as she looked impressed at the princess’ deduction from her slip of tongue.“I’ll let you decide, we should get you home.” Aurora pinched a lock of Celestia’s hair with a talon and dipped it into the pond. Soon the ivory castle of Canterlot came into view.

“Home.” Celestia cried, she sniffed softly. Celestia tipped her body into the pond, Aurora following.

=====================================================================

“Herbalist Maua!”

Maua moaned and stretched her forehooves hoping it would help her wake. She smiled as Luna’s head rested on Grue’s belly. Then she heard her named called once more.

“Maua!”

She made her way to the doorway to see one of Hofu’s lackeys still damp from the river bed. “You are needed in town, we are going to search for Grue once more. Today is his Rite of Memory.”

“Today? What makes this particular day special for him?”

“Cosmos has spoken once more, Grue’s name has been called.”

“I’ll be right there, I just need to prep some supplies.”

“I was wondering if I could come in and dry off.”

“No dear, I’m afraid my hut isn’t open today.”

“I-I understand, You miss him...I wouldn’t help me either if I helped get Grue killed.”

“Now...I’m sure Grue is alive.” Maua walked into her hut quickly to grab a towel. She rubbed the wet zebra down until he didn’t drip. “Now make sure to use the bridge. It’s just a ways left, beyond that willow.” Maua pointed. The young zebra nodded and ran to the willow tree, waving back to Maua.

Maua hurried into her hut and shook Grue and Luna awake. “We have to talk, about yesterday and then some.”

=====================================================================

Celestia gasped for air, her eyes stared into a world that was foreign to her, yet similar. She was in Canterlot. The castle, the markets down to the last fruit stand all where the same. But the ponies...They all wore robes like Time Weaver, all hummed and nodded their heads. As one of the ponies passed by her Celestia tapped her hoof slightly and before she could speak the pony had gasped and fell to the floor.

“My Queen, why doth thou praise me with such radiance, thoust but a shadow to your glow!”

Celestia’s brows jumped with her body, to the late prose that only her Grandparents had spoken off and on in her presence.

“Her Radiance? Hath thy speakest out of term?” The robed pony asked meekly.

“Thy citizen, your Queen has lost her way. The shade is strong here, it chokes at her mind. She wishes to enter her castle. How would Her Radiance in guile, do so?”Aurora asked, her voice sounded more equine than before.

“Her Radiance would need to take the left bridge into Sun tower and keep clear of the shade that dare speak.”

“Walk always in light.” Aurora chanted. The pony bowed and repeated.

“What was that about?” Celestia asked Aurora. “And where are we?”

“If you do not listen, and complete what your mother could not...This will be your home.” the phoenix told her bitterly.

“What’s wrong with everypony here?”

“Oh...you noticed he was blind. It comes with the territory of being a citizen to the Sun Queen, one like Solstia. Since marehood, she never knew how comforting the shade of dark could be. So she did what every child does when they have power and a fear of the unknown, Solstia tried to blot out all the shadow she saw.”

“Okay I get it! be mindful of my power, or else I’ll make everypony blind. Can I really go home now, please.”

“Not until you see the true extent of her reason.”

“No. I didn’t agree to this!”

“Who knows, you might even grow to like it here, with her. She can be the mother you never had.”

“I HAVE A MOTHER!” Celestia screamed so loud her voice squeaked. The robed passerbys gasped

“But she is weak, she never taught you anything of your future! She is the reason Discord still exists! Now you’re going to meet Solstia, no matter what the means.”Aurora cawed, latching her talons around the princess’ shoulders.

“Ouuuwww...” Celestia whined, the phoenix's hot body was so close she could smell the hairs of her feathers singe.

=====================================================================

Maua took a deep breath,unable to look at the two as she explained her past in such detail.“When I was a little older then Luna, I was chosen to mate with our chieftain. It is the custom of this tribe that the newly appointed chieftain must have an heir. It was also the time when the old chieftain last wishes were questioned. He wanted Zebra and pony to coexist and co-mingle, that the magic arts and herbology to be taught freely and last of all that when Cosmos did return that we would teach the Princess of Night how to ascend her power.

All of these wishes have been fulfilled besides one, that he spoke privately to me about. He knew that one day a unicorn would visit me. The old chieftain, he retold my whole past of your father, Sirius; that from Sirius’ love for me our tribe would once again despise ponykind, and that your life would shape us.”

“Shape the tribe?” Grue guessed.

“I think he meant the world. When I fell in love with your father I was also with Sabra...I believe that Grue and Hofu are connected by much more then me. I believe Seren is stuck between them.”

“You never fully explained who Seren is.”

“He...He’s your brother, your twin.”

“I-have a twin brother.” Grue stared in breathless shock as years of his life feeling alone were untrue. “Why isn’t Seren like me and Hofu, why is he trapped?”

“When your father had returned to the tribe, Sabra had became the new chieftain and because of what he had done...Sabra took the old chieftain's wishes and declared that if any of his tribe followed them they would be exiled, like me. Sirius came to me the night I was exiled and pleaded with me to follow him or to find a way back in the tribe. I told him that there was no way, the chieftain was chosen from Cosmos himself, his word was tribe law.

But just like a pony he decided to do the unthinkable, he kidnapped Hofu and forced Sabra to commune with Cosmos. For it Cosmos asked for one simple answer...” Maua turned away from the two, she took in a breathe a began to weep. “If his love was greater for his magic or for his family. ”

“Mother...what did he choose.”

“He didn’t.” Maua turned to Grue hugging him tightly as he repeated his father’s words. “My magic is a part of my family...a family so tainted in its allure that they forgot what is truly important. My love, Maua she is pure from its grasp and I stand elated to see my children live free of its curse.”

“That sounds like an answer to me, he choose family. His new family.” Said Luna. “But he didn’t know about Seren did he?”

“He didn’t. Which is why Cosmos granted Sirius’ wish; to have a son free of magic. But when he banished Seren he brought him to the only place Sirius would never go-”

“In Serenity...that’s why I know him! I saved him...or at least I thought I did. If I had known that he was your twin-”

“Its alright Luna. I’m just glad that I know the truth, but I have to ask Maua...why are you telling me now?” Luna heard a female voice whisper “the truth” as Grue spoke.

“You have been summoned by the chieftain for you Rite of Memory.”

“That’s great, maybe this will prove that I am a zebra!”

“No, Grue...it’s not.”

Grue’s ears drooped as he recalled what the Rite of Memory was exactly.

“Can I be informed on...”

Grue hugged Maua tighter- “The Rite is used to search through one’s life and-and...Maua.” Grue buried his eyes to Maua’s shoulder in distress.

Maua resumed for Grue. “To find if the acknowledged has been true to his tribe. Since we are a tribe that forbids magic, the magic Seren possesses would render Grue black. When I was acknowledged to my Rite of Memory, all my sins we revealed with my stripes. The tribe judges your stripes the larger the offence, the larger the stripe. If a zebra is without stripe or turned black they are asked again when they mature or they are killed.”

“Killed.”-Luna gulped.

“A blacken zebra is considered a curse in every tribe, to talk with a blackened one is believed as an omen of sickness, and famine.” Grue sighed.

=====================================================================

“Let go of me you flaming foul! You’re hurting me!” Celestia screamed once more tugging her body erratically, hoping to break free from Aurora’s grasp.

“And your innocence will kill us both!” Aurora argued, she had been gaining altitude too fast for Celestia’s wings to bear, the stress of the fire and wind was becoming too much for the filly. Finally Aurora flung the princess into the open window of Sun Tower’s highest level.


“What is that? Guards!” A haughty voice called out. The sound of metal scraping to Celestia made her grasp at her ears.

“She smells of Helios, singed and bright. What doth Her Radiance command?” A guard sounded.

“Helios Thy attest? Thy wishes some intimacy, alone!” The Queen commanded. When the guards left Celestia heard the steps of the queen get closer to her. “Neigh...Solstia’s reign is still pure. You are but Hemara, you are still tainted by the dark.”

“Your subjects are all blinded by your beliefs. You don’t understand the power you hold!” celestia groaned as she stood upright.

“Ha-hua-ha! Foal doth amuses, what else doth she know of me?”

“You believe you are better than me, but there can be only one who uses the sun! You use it to blind and coerce your subjects into following you.” Celestia glared up to Solstia to see a pony the age of her mother, yet look just like herself. Celestia quaked in fear of all Aurora had said.

“Thy has room for one more to be blind, and the sun will not be so kind to her!” The queen grinned wickedly, aiming her horn to Celestia’s eyes. “Walk always in the light, Hemera.”

“No!” Celestia bellowed. “I will not become you! I made a promise to Luna!” The princess lunged herself out of range. She opened her wings ready to soar only to fall back as her wings twitched in pain.

“It seems this little dove has had her wings clipped. Does she mean to flee, to hide, to grovel until Her Radiance can teach her true harmony!” The queen flapped her wings, taunting Celestia. “You are but another star in the sky wishing to shine like thyself, but you forget your place! You rest in a sea of night, where only the cosmos confides in you.”

“Cosmos...is nothing.”

“What?” The queen replied.

“Aethereum is everything. It is the land of ones we forget. The dream we see, when rest our head. The land below the light.”Celestia felt herself sing a song she had never heard before.

“How dare you sing, at a time like this!” The Queen retorted.

“I-I know now. I know a secret about your power, you’ve been hiding away in a place that my subjects call Aethereum. But you aren’t better then me, your...just like me. You too are Hemera!” Celestia pounced on the Queen forcing her to the floor. “Where is your sister!”

“No Hemera...I am Selene! The anger my sister feels burns inside me. I can’t control my fear that I will overcome her and make my subjects sleep forever!” the queen cried pitifully, shaking her head violently “No! I am Solstia, ruler of light, queen of all!” she shouted.

Celestia winced. “You placed your sister in yourself. Why?”

“She wasn’t light anymore, she only wished to cover the world in night. I couldn’t let her kill us all, but I couldn’t kill her. I love my sister” The queen cried in pain and pushed Celestia off of her. The queen hubbled, unable to use her hooves correctly as she began to cackle in a dark booming voice “Love he-he-hah! It binds me to her, it keeps me strong. It’s why I am ruler!”

“Not any longer.” Celestia stated. She mustered all her magic and forced it to the sun.

“What are you doing! Do not lower the sun!” The queen pleaded. “The darkness will touch me...it will make me forget the light!”

“No Solstia...The light is not merely the sun you hold.” Celestia placed her hoof to the Queen’s chest. “If you are truly light, the shadow of night could never reshape you. It lies within you, in love and hope-”

“In harmony.” Aurora added in. The queen knelt to Celestia.

“I have battled with my fears and doubts so long, I had forgotten what it meant to trust.” The queen sniffled. “I am unworthy of my title still...Hemera take my crown. It is clear that no matter if I pretend to be the bearer of Helios, I am only Eos.”

“Really?” Celestia asked.

Aurora cooed to her. “You have proven yourself to be tactful and wise.”

“But what about your kingdom...”

“I am not ready to lead, but maybe under the guidance of my sister. We both can fix our kingdom.” Eos admitted. “My last wish from you princess, is to free my sister.”

Celestia smiled “Of course...just how do I do that exactly?” The princess squeaked in embarrassment.

Eos lifted the crown to Celestia’s small head. “I need you to close your mind and believe you are, in this moment are the bearer of the moon. Do you see my sister?” A distant figure turned to Celestia.

“I see your light sister.” Selene cried.

Celestia moved back from her. As Selene approached Celestia, it was clear that she wasn’t well. She shambled to Celestia’s light, like a naive moth to flame. Each step the young mare took left the sound of thick mud. “You don’t look well.”

“The darkness...it-” Selene wheezed, drooping her whole body. “It became more then just space around me. It began to speak...began to eat.”

“Surely you are being figurative, the night does not wish nor crave anything.”

“For a while...it didn’t, until I did. I wished to rule without my sister, craving to be loved as her. And when I understood nopony wanted to hear me, I closed my eyes and wished to be something more. That is when the night spoke to me. It called itself space and promised me all the love I desired rested in the realm of Nyx. There would be subjects that would do all I wished. With them I could rule a new kingdom, but night never told me that it would use my body, force me to do things that I would never have committed. That’s why my sister imprisoned me in her, the shadow forces...they can’t find me here.”

“Deceit-Shadows” Celestia whispered. “What you talked to feeds off of the sadness and jealousy you feel. The only way to cure yourself of it, is to be honest and forgiving. It might feel wrong having to apologize when you feel like the lesser sister, but ruling a whole kingdom and being there for each other is much more than even I believe I could do everyday. It takes patience to see the changes that you wish to see. Selene, you remind me of my sister. She was always rather sensitive when confronted with any emotion, would you say you are the same?”

“Yes.”

“Then perhaps you can find ways to level your reactions, not ‘til become void of feeling, just until you feel comfortable expressing your desires.”

“My sister is afraid of the dark, how do I reason with that. It makes me feel that she is afraid of me, because I control the very thing she fears. I can’t control what I was born into! I was born to raise the moon and drift through the dark sky.”

“Are you sure she is scared of you, or just the power she doesn’t understand? I will admit that I get nervous when the moon does not set on time, I fear that maybe my sister is injured or maybe even trapped. But the less I worry in my sister’s judgement the more confident I feel when I remember that she and I are still learning our paths.”

“What will you do when her path crosses yours, will you cast her away or will you hear her out?”
“I will do whatever I have to to keep my sister safe, no matter the risk. She is the closest friend I have, and only one I trust wholeheartedly.”

Selene sniffed as a tear hit the floor. “That sounds just like my sister. I had forgotten how much I missed her.” All began white as Celestia felt her body drifting into a world quite similar to Hemera, except this world felt connected to every other realm as well.

“Greetings Celestia, Bearer of sun. You have aged so little, but have learned so much.” Celestia opened her teary eyes, her lips quivered as she whispered.

“Dad!?”

=====================================================================

“Then let’s tell them about Seren. That Grue is a Zebra and Seren is a pony trapped inside.”

“Luna...Serenity that’s just what they want. Hofu must have told them that he sensed you.” Maua explained. “Remember when I told you that Hofu is “different and not the good kind” well what I meant by that is I was present at his rite...and he had untapped magic just like Grue. He did become charged by the tribe as blackened, but it was before you Grue. When the tribe was proud of their name,


The Grutua. The main part of the word is pronounced like your name, Grue. Our tribe once practiced magic so powerful, that Unicorns travelled to learn our techniques.

But the Solus’ heirs claimed themselves a new country and their land became bordered with trees and violent guardians. Any strand of common trade, left. Now zebra are a sun-beaten and reserved people. I remember being raised to respect the visit if a pony, to see how this tribe treats ponykind now...it is the real reason I live in the brush.”

“Wow Maua, I’ve never heard you talk so much before.” Grue confessed. “Not that I mind.”

“Am I getting this right. The Evergreen Forest is keeping Zebra from Equestria. Zebra and ponies once respected each other. Grue is somewhat named after the tribe, but yet is casted out and Seren is Grue’s brother, my old friend and related to this Hofu?” Luna asked.

“That’s all correct. Hofu must be connected because of me. Sirius always believed that if he fell in love with a non-pony that Crystalline’s curse on his grandfather and father would not follow his bloodline, I guess he was wrong.” Maua guessed.

“Sirius claimed his magic was tainted, right?” Luna asked.

“Correct.”Maua answered.

“Maybe he has the Lingering Doubt? It passes through the bloodline, until said doubt is resolved.”

“Does that mean you have it as well Luna?” Grue wondered aloud.
=====================================================================

Midnight Star came into view, rubbing his muzzle to Celestia’s. Turning herself around she gazed, mystified at her surroundings she look back to her father who looked younger and wingless. He cleared his voice and began to sing to her.

“You’ve gone such a long, long way. And I dreamed of you here, since your very first day-”
A bright cloud expanded from where Midnight Star stood as the head of a strange creature shook off the clouds cover his face. Midnight zoomed into the limitless air.

“Sorry there Midnight!” The creature chuckled. “Welcome to the gateway to all realms, I trust Aurora hasn’t been too forceful, she has endured through much...” The creature moved his head away as his eyes glazed over tearful until his head turned quickly back to Celestia. “But where are my manners! To meet Midnight’s daughter,a princess no less and to see her ascend...it is an honor, dear Celestia. I, like many others you have met on your adventure go by many names, Peponi, Ourano, Janus, but I’m sure you know me by another name.”

“You’re Aethereum?”

“Not quite, Aethereum is where I lead the departed of your worlds, but only those of good heart may enter.”

“Your the gatekeeper of the afterlife?”

“And to the journeys of those who ascend...and descend.”

“Are you the one who has been hinting to me about the truth.”

“Yes...much like you discovering that light is a reflection of more then the sun, the truth that you have gathered from Aurora and the old songs of your parents will lead you to another discovery, another journey that I will follow you through.”

“I understand that my mother and father were chosen, but why am I suddenly doing their duties?”

“It all lies in a vision one powerful wizard held. It told of a pair born under the banner of sun and moon. They would be praised with the title Solus Heirs. Your father and mother were born with the names Midnight Star and Brightly-lit Days, their family crests where the Moon and Sun and when they defeated the Unicorn King they married, and combined crests. Now do you see?”

“I-I don't want to see, just tell me.” Celestia pleaded tiredly.

“Your mother and father were not the chosen, but their journey lead to the vision’s truth. You and Luna are the bearers of sun and moon under the banner of the Solus Heirs you two became alicorns from your parents change, though they did not ascend, you have. I hope your sister will also.”

“Don’t make my sister into a monster...I’ve seen what happens when she is hidden or forgotten, I have to find her Aether. I have to keep her safe!”

“I assure you, I do not wish to see her harmed. If you are ready to save her, then follow me. We must take your new crown and appoint you the new queen!”

=====================================================================

“The doubt is a curse that my people believe Crystalline made. It is powered by fear and gets stronger each generation if the doubt hasn’t be resolved. But the curse can only be spread by infected ponies...ones who can not resolve their doubts.” Luna said, ignoring Grue’s comment.

“Our people claim Chrysos made magic, but I’ve never heard of it being a curse.” Maua explained.

“The Lingering Doubt...what if it wasn’t magic, but a being. Like Cosmos?!” Grue thought.

“Then you’re claiming our most sacred god is evil in nature and has cursed both of my families, but why would Crystalline make Cosmos? ” said Grue.

“Your people also believe emotion is linked to the colors, what if Crystalline felt doubt and fear when she made the night sky? Or-” Luna gasped. “Maua the story you told me, of the earth’s color does it mention magic?”

Maua smiled to her reciting the rest of the story. “...Blue was just the beginning of our colorful world, each gem removed also removed her emotion. All but one color remained in her now, it was neither purple nor red but a mixture of both. Magenta was its name and Chrysos named it after she created magic. Magic was the complete opposite of our gold mother, a marvel of her mastery in creation. Magic began to create things as well, fire, rain, trees and us. Magic never lost its color, even when it had added color to itself and its creations. It had become much more then a simple sparkle. Magic itself could feel all emotions, except Love.”

“Maua what if your people interpreted the story differently then mine?” Luna asked. “What if Magic, was Crystalline’s daughter.”

“You mean Aster as another being, another god?”

“My father read this story to me so I could fall asleep. It sounds like a reinterpretation of yours. Where Queen Prismia has to send her daughter into the depths her heart to keep the nightmares from whisking her away. If they are indeed the same, then what if Crystalline is the gold queen and she lost her love-”

“To keep her daughter safe!” They all replied.

“Then...then that wouldn’t make Cosmos magic, but the nightmares. He would wait for nightfall, for the sun to disappear to steal Aster...to take magic, but why?” Maua asked.

“You told me that magic is connected through every plant and creature, what if he desired everything. If he controlled magic, he would be able to create anything, be anything.” said Grue. “Cosmos must know about your old chieftain's wishes. He wants Luna.”

“But I’m not magic.” Luna protested.

“You’re the princess of the moon, you could cast the whole world into darkness. Then he would have a new world to create for.”

=====================================================================

Astrum had followed Damson into the quiet village undetected, as they walked Astrum told of the events in Canterlot since his frantic run, until they bumped into a pegasus that Astrum remembered from a couple days ago. He had flown her daughters’ secret cloud candy cake for their surprise birthday party, in fact there the pegasus was, flying as always.

“Hello Squall.” Astrum greeted.

“I’m sorry, but no time your majesty. Honeydrop just entered the forest.” The cream colored pegasus darted into the forest.

“Hold on Squall, you can’t just go in there without help!” Damson ran after him.

“I-I’ll just find an inn then, at my own leisure.” Astrum sighed. She walked to the only building still lit-up, so fatigued that it until her gold slipper touched the rock entrance of the building she smelled that this wasn’t an inn, but a bakery.

“Now I’m not one shoo anyone who enters my shoppe but I really must get my sleep for tomorrow’s-”

“Festival Harvest I know, I’m sorry for intruding then Sir.”

“Your...your-Aethere!” The stallion slammed his body so hard to the floor in a bow that Astrum had to help him back up.

“Please, do not mind my crown. Today I’m just a tired mare in need of a meal and an inn. If you need rest, then by all means, sleep.”she readied herself once more to leave,but the earth pony hooked his floured arm around her, and pointed as he reassured her.

“Then I welcome you to anything in my pantry, and the extra bed upstairs if you’re in need of rest.”

Astrum’s belly gave a large bear-like roar that three days without food will do. “Maybe a few slices of almond sourdough couldn’t hurt.” She smiled innocently

=====================================================================

“What of your crown?” A voice whispered to her. “What about your sister’s power, she is already past her first realm, almost to be crowned while you sit around.”

Maua and Grue were still as the voice spoke, like time itself cowered to its power. “ I do not fear you Cosmos and I will not let you persuade me. My sister is loving and kind.”

“I have no doubt of your sister’s generosity...hopefully, if all goes according to plan she will stay true to herself, to her dying end. She’ll spread her protective eyes over so many that all that will remain for you, princess, is her shadow. It is of course where you reside after all, so fitting that you cling to Grue. He’s going to be blackened, and killed you know. But If I could offer you any deal...what if I saved his life, deemed some honor to his past.”

“He has honor! The magic he holds isn’t his own, and you know that!” Luna rebutted.

“Maua’s taught you well...then let me ask you a simple question, for your years are long and power equal. If you wished the life of one loved safe and sound, who’s live can I claim for my hunger and who shall be spared?”

Luna closed her eyes, she knew that Cosmos would find any loophole to take Grue...what if he wanted her sister, did he really know her thoughts so well?

“Is that truly a simple answer? You want me to choose the death of one I love, maybe you do not understand what love is.”

“I understand the feeling inside you now. It is of doubt, and it lingers at the very core of your “love”. It blooms in the heart the moment you feel its embrace to a new face, and it will entwine itself inside you even when you break free with the courage to talk.But it is hopeless you see...that will only nourish love’s roots, even choke your senses. Look at how they took Grue’s. Without the word of mother from Maua he was becoming less of the living and more of a shell to hide Seren.

I know you felt true power in Serenity the moment you tore those needless weeds, after all no plant can whether night forever. Don’t be like Grue and hide your potential, ‘else it won’t be my plan that will lead to your epiphany, but your own cowardice. Who shall live and who will feed me?!”

“You’ve been pretending to be Midnight Star...your the reason I have nightmares! It was you who killed my father!”

“He doubt was especially high in you...it helped me break out from my prison and whether you like it or not Your Serenity...you are the key to my absolute freedom. Now be a good pony, and answer my question, maybe you want all of your loved ones out of the way?!”

“No!” Luna cried.

“Ahhh...like your last dream. The one where you froze all of the ones who trusted you.”

“Stop it!” She pleaded, tears began to ripple from her eyes.

“If I recall...you have that dream every night, and that’s without my assistance. You dream of becoming the queen to loyal shadow pony subjects!”

“I don't dream...dreams are things you wish for and aspire to. I have nightmares.”

“Then maybe you need not to dream. For shadow ponies do exist, and your crown is easily in reach.”
“I don’t need you to grant me wishes Cosmos, I want you to leave anyone I love well enough alone!” Luna ordered. Cosmos grinned to her, Luna was unaware of the apathy in her command.

“As you wish, Nyx.”

Maua turned to Luna, placing a hoof to her shoulder. “Dear?” Luna turned her head swiftly, her eyes faded from their turquoise glow. “You saw him didn’t you?”

“I think I did...he asked me to choose.”

“A simple question...”

“One I loved that should live and one he could...eat. I didn’t give him a true answer, I-I couldn’t...”

The two zebra hugged princess Luna. “It’s alright Luna. I don’t think anyone could.” Grue sighed as he hugged her tightly.

“No...That’s my test, this whole time I’ve had to pick one or the other, like I’m not good enough for both, or everything. It’s either the light or the dark, Seren or you. I don’t want half, I want to be everything.”

“You’ll find that in this world, half is half too short.” Grue whispered to Luna.

“What?”

“I can’t explain it all to you filly, sometimes you have to trust in more then just yourself. Your wit can only get you so far.” Grue pushed himself away from Luna. “I need to be more then a bedtime story! I want to be more then a lullaby, I want to help the daughter of Brightly-lit...I-”

Maua grasped her son “You get out of my colt you two faced asp. You promise my people
new lands and paradise, you dragged my sons into some ancient story. We are not playthings Gold Mother, we are broken-hearted and starving of our hope. Please don’t let Cosmos take what I treasure most!” The herbalist prayed.

“Maua. I’ve done so wrong against your kind...but I have so little left inside me. I only did what I could but Grue’s power wasn’t enough...his love for you only brought me to where I am now. Luna...The key is in Serenity. It’s where the water crashes, it is what disturbs Harmony. It is what my daughter felt the most.” Grue gasped for air.

“He’s over-heating!” Maua said to Luna. She lifted a rag to Grue’s forehead.

“I’ll do it Maua...I’ll keep Grue safe. I promise.” Luna smiled softly to Grue. “Don’t worry Grue.”
“Serenity.” Maua clutched the princess close to her. “They are both my sons, but I understand if only-” Maua turned away unable to condone the killing of her children.

“Your legend has already written down my destiny, it is time I faced it. I must brave it, alone.” Luna admitted. She focused her fear and sadness, closing her eyes. Her thoughts raced until she heard the crashing waves and sensed the unsettling coolness if Serenity.

“Greetings Princess. Please open your eyes and keep your hope close to you, else it will dim all your realm. As I’m sure Discord vaguely told you the light within you is foreign to your realm, but that does not mean that light isn’t need, as the moon and stars glow. You saw them once before, though I do not think you understand their role. You still see your realm as rippling water, but did you ever think to question it, to look above it?”

Luna looked above in awe to the stars she had created a week ago with her father. “I made these.” Luna cried joyfully. “Prismia...I don’t think I am strong enough to protect who I love.”

“Neither was I dear Luna, I was blind to her time of need. But I won’t be blind to yours, you must believe that you are not just a wielder of a weapon or power, but that you are the moon. You are every cratered hole and that the light the sun shines is reflected through you, the stars are your own light.”

Luna tried to concentrate but every time she felt the warmth of the sun, she felt her nightmares repeat. “My nightmares-”

“Ahh...doubt lies in you already? Luna there is no reason to doubt yourself you are capable of the task before you.” Prismia made herself visible to the princess, she wasn’t pure black like before but had odd striped white bands across her body. The soft glow of her magenta heart flickered dimly like a heartbeat. “The light you see is my daughter. She was once in your position, having to choose what of her creations should live and what were too dangerous for your world.

When her mind couldn’t be made she asked my advice and I told her that if they didn’t respect harmony, they would not last long. For I promised her past creations everlasting harmony. I knew back then how love and harmony could preserve life and as you know I slowly lost my ability to empathize. Discord is not only the destroyer of my promise, his very creation reminds me of the hardships your world has faced. You understand that in the old ballad of me...I sent seven champions from the Crystal empire.”

“They made new kingdoms and prospered for five hundred years, until the wrath of winter plagued their lands.” Luna said.

“You’re related to three of those champions; Loyalty, Kindness and Magic. It explains why your magical prowess is above the normal unicorn. It might also hint to why you and your sister are like me. The doubt you feel, it isn’t of yourself is it?”

“I doubt that Seren, Grue and their father will meet each other. I feel responsible for Grue’s pain, and Seren...” Luna’s eyes glistened to Crystalline. “If I could wish for anything Prismia, It’d wish that everyone I loved where safe from me. I wish Seren was free and alive and well, Grue was loved and honored in his tribe and that my sister wouldn’t have to worry about my reluctance to follow my destiny.”

“I’ll save your wishes for a blue moon, for now focus all that love, The generosity of Maua, the kindness of Seren imagine all of their deeds as if an element of its own.”
Luna concentrated once more forcing her nightmares aside she felt her body began to glow in the colors of the elements, until her aura stayed true to one. It was a light pink, the element of kindness.

“Perfect Luna, now keep your thoughts still.” Prismia began to grin. As her crystal pony iris’ streaked downwards like a dragon’s. Crystalline reached her hoof closer to Luna, but Luna’s aura flickered much like the old queen’s heart. Hastily her striped hoof lost all disguise, and lunged to the princesses heart. Luna let out a hearty groan in pain.

“Prismia...why are you-”

“Don’t you remember petty foal?! She cast me into her heart! If Prismia feels anything now, it will be thanks to you!” The Crystal Queen chuckled wildly, her body seized enough for her to whisper. “Luna. F-forgive me!”

Luna felt the claws struggling to grab hold, Prismia was trying her hardest to stop Cosmos. Luna tried to pry the claw from her chest, as she touch it she felt the power of Cosmos drifting into her. Luna sniffed, she understood her destiny. It wasn’t merely a decision of life or death for her friends, but a fusion of all she could endure. All was made clear in a simple question. What was Luna willing to sacrifice, who would she able unable to save from Discord’s hunger?

Comments ( 3 )

4149469 Glad you're enjoying it! :pinkiegasp:

4148640 Depends later on in the story I get very very "artsy" where over thinking things might help you out. :scootangel:

4148640

:raritywink:
Spoiler below:
Sombra is revealed in late story, but hinted in mid-story.

Login or register to comment