• Published 23rd Dec 2012
  • 600 Views, 16 Comments

Dismay Turned Discord - Reedling



An estranged alicorn. A disowned zebra. All leads to the creation of a monster.

  • ...
2
 16
 600

Chapter 17- I Am Chrysos

“We should be safe now, I’m sorry to have had to drag you down here. You are anything but prisoners, and I will make sure Her Grace can not only help you but give your family the healing it deserves.” Omen assured them. The two took a deep heave of air in unison and one nodded. Their muzzles had lost any distinction of being equine, now they only held a dark odorless smoke-drifting from. Omen gave a hesitant gulp. “You two alright?”

“You wish to heal now Pegasus?! When my wife asked in horror why you scolded her, you did not hold such mercy.”

“I was not thinking clearly Polaris.” Omen shook his head, raising a hoof over his bangs. “ Like now, I feel a magic that disorients me.”

“I feel it too Polaris, Sirius is close!”

“The Unicorn king is not dead foolish Pegasus!” Polaris gave low chuckle and with every exhale clouds of black smoke left his body. “As you requested my queen, here lies a soul dedicated in loyalty.”

From the onyx line caves came a voice that sounded nothing like Crystalline. When the two flared up their magic to see the imposter they had just served, they grew unconcerned when it was in the final stage of the curse. It was just a shadow in the form of an equine, but the light did show that its essence was formed by the onyx crystals. Pillars of smoke drifted from the walls adding more form to the creature.

“As true as his loyalty maybe, it is not the soul I asked for.” Omen turned to lock eyes to something much larger than his own. The creature's newly shaped claws cupped him before he could even react. He felt his heart rendered frozen, his body inert and the Dusks grovelled as belittling as possible to their master. “Though you have not failed me completely, you two shall receive what has been promised to you. Polaris...You shall become my messenger of ill omen. Letus shall be your new name, but such choices should not be made in vein of the truth, isn’t that right Eventide?”

The creature took a strong inhale and forced the essence of Omen out of him. It was a bright orange light that zapped its energy through the beast. “From his life’s Honesty I can only make one a Chrysos. Eventide if you can capture the Solus’ court wizard then you may join Letus. Take this blade, it is eager to hold the power of Loyalty.”

"It will be easy, I have a promise to keep." Eventide bowed. She turned for only a moment to watch her husband's body begin to mutate.
=====================================================================

“Why are you getting so soft? Are you scared of what you are, what you did to Aster or would you rather I call her Aureal? Just because I fled to the savannah, I- I didn’t forget where I was born. I didn’t forget my friends and family. I couldn’t stand to see what you had done to them and how you had changed. I’m a coward and a fool for not staying, for letting my fears hold me captive. But if there is anyone I love most of all, it is my son Arboreus! I couldn’t-No I can’t bear the thought of him hurt!”-Sirius C. forced his magic around him in a shield from the purification potion. Pan felt the corrupt magic ripple throughout Sirius, it was not holding him captive. It was holding him together.

“What happened in the savannah Sirius...what are you hiding from your friends?”

“I met Cosmos. He cursed me because I couldn’t tell him what he needed to know. He was going to turn my son into some monster...I couldn’t let that happen. I-I hid him in one of the only Zebra tribes that used magic, the Grutua clan. When I returned to the clan they were under new leadership and had marked me as a defiled creature, my son was now a degenerate of both worlds. Now magic was seen as a plague and any of their kind gifted in magic, were killed. So what else could I do old friend, but use my magic.” Sirius broke down in tears, his magic crackling out as he sobbed. “I erased my love’s memories, of us and of Grue’s ‘blight’ I hoped that he would not be given magic, and that he would grow up well without me.”

“And what did Cosmos’ curse do to you?”

“I...am cursed to see my son everywhere I go, but never know his name, and never recognized my own son. For when the day comes that I speak his name all the magic Crystalline holds over my family will disappear.”

“Is it true what they say about the Dusk’s magic, Sirius.”

“In my experience, yes. We are all linked to the power my father took from Crystalline. It’s unwise for anyone of us to overuse our magic, because her magic was not meant for pony-kind to harbor.”

“And what of your son? What happens when he amasses so much magic he is unable to use, Sirius. Before Morpheus’ passing he told me of the navy zebra who looked like you. His visit to your son got him killed! Now snap out of whatever hold her curse has on you and Save. Your. Son!!”

=====================================================================

“Quick Luna hide!” Luna looked around the room and hid herself in one of the straw woven baskets. As the zebra entered Grue gave a heartfelt sob. “Maua! I’m so glad you’re safe.”

“So am I Grue! Why did you run away, no matter you’ve missed much in class. Now why don’t you tell your friend to get out of my basket, hmm?” Her smile turned to concern as Grue sat on the floor and began to cry. “Maua...I can’t see.”

“I was going to ask about that, did you get some pollen to your eyes? Don’t think that you can sidetrack me Grue, I know someone else is here.”

“And I’m sorry for entering your home unannounced Maua. Please do not hold Grue accountable, it is my fault.” Luna whined, peeking her head out of the basket.

“And why would I do th-” Maua’s stare grew wider. “Grue, You bring a Chrysos into my house!”

“Her name is Luna.”

“Serenity.” Maua whispered. “Queen of everlasting darkness...” The Zebra shook as she stared horrified at Luna.

“Maua, she doesn’t want to harm us. She’s my friend, she’s going to help me.”

“Wait there’s more than one Chrysos? and what makes me a chrysos anyway!”Luna demanded.

“Hush Luna, You'll wake the mother of gold! It is not wise to speak the name so freely, it is a sacred word to us and also a word that brings the most fear-For a being to possess such raw untapped magic.” Maua’s voice left her as she tried to explain.

“It goes along with the legend of color Luna.” Grue stated.

“Naw! You didn’t tell her the story, you know!” Maua looked menacing to Grue, as he gulped, smiling meekly afterwards. “I have a tendency to not tell the story with the right amount of emphasis, and I can make the most revered tale it sound more like the mother gold got her toy taken from her...rather than the truth.”

Luna winced her eyes as Grue’s voice changed slightly when he said ‘the truth’, she guess it was just fatigue settling in. “I didn’t think it was told badly, I’ve made stars before and if Chr- if she actually made the colors then I can understand her pain.” She replied, her eyes straining to look at Maua and Grue.

“But it isn’t just that you see. When you make the stars are they also a part of you, or is it a thing only you could have arranged?”

“I don’t know.”

“When Chrysos first opened her eyes our world was but a ball of ever drifting sand and wind, and as the wind blew it spat the hot sand into her eyes. She cried the first drop of rain, and cupped its clear essence. She smiled softly as the water evaporated in the heat and dipped a hoof into the hot sand turning it into a river. She sculpted the mountains, valleys and gorges from the newly formed clay. After she had grown tired she began to think of a way to make her creations to stand out. So she looked into the water’s reflection and saw embedded in her diamond frame were colors; red, green, blue and yellow. They were gems just like her and as she tried to remove a sapphire from her leg she noticed the scarring sand did not make her cry. She dipped the sapphire into the water and called it blue. That is the way the story is supposed to be told Luna.” Maua explained. “I bet Grue chalked her sister as greedy pony who wanted the ‘power of magenta’, Right?”

Grue turned away sheepishly, a hoof raised to hide his eyes and cheeks of embarrassment, Luna moved beside him. “Grue came to you for protection, now I can see that you aren’t totally against him but you don’t seem too nice either, Maua if you will not help-”

“Now hold your tongue little Chrys-” Maua tilted her head with a smirk. “You want me to summon the gold mother don’t ya! You’re as dark as the night you command, no matter ya size!” Maua began to shout. Grue leaned his body to Luna’s, wrapping a foreleg to one of hers. “Maua, Shut up and tell me if you are my mother.”

=====================================================================

“Pan! Something’s happen outside!” Astrum unlocked the reinforced door. “Sirius, I don’t know how well you are, but if you have any memories of Equestria-Please help us!” The queen leaned her fatigued body to the door.

A loud booming crack followed by a violent quake rattled the chains and cuffs in the empty cells. Everypony winced to the sounds of metal squeaks and distant shrieks of panics in the streets above. Sirius nodded to Astrum and Pan when the noise had settled

“I have to find my son, keep him safe. But for now I'll stay focused on Canterlot."

When the three reached the surface a hooffull of guards ran to the Queen. “Your Grace, a dragon has emerged from Dragon’s Throat!”

“How is that possible?!” Astrum was sure she locked the last dragon egg in. She turned her gaze to Pan. “You knew about the egg, Didn’t you?”

“Now Astrum this might look perplexing right now, but maybe we should-” Astrum’s eyes glowed with a glint of dark magic as she seethed in rage. Pan coward in fear throwing his hooves over his face as he pleaded for her to think this over.

Her magic faded as Sirius put a hoof to her shoulder “Now is not the time my Queen.” He spoke calmly.

“Where is Cosmos now?” her attention turned back to the fearful guards. “It was seen last in the market square.”

=====================================================================

“Me? mother a unicorn!” Maua’s lips began to wiggle in eerie suspense as she let out cackles of booming laughter. “One does not simply make love to a unicorn, Grue! You were given to the tribe by a unicorn more worried about his father’s approval that his own son!”

“How can you be so spiteful!” Luna roared.

“Because Serenity, he said something so random I couldn’t help but laugh.”

“But don’t you remember? I went to your hut and asked the same question...and-” Grue began to cry. “I don’t know how you are looking at me now, but when I could see-you wanted to tell me something important. I could sense it, the way you moved and used a softer voice. You were going to say yes.”Grue felt the wetness of his tears stick to his eyes, a flicker of coldness flashed over him. His heart slowed as he exhaled a breath of winter air. Crystalline’s curse had broken through his promise. He let go. “ We should leave Luna, we aren’t welcome.” He spoke bitterly.

“Yes, please do.” Maua snarled, as her purple irises began to seep similarly colored vapors. Luna tightened her foreleg and helped Grue out of Maua’s hut.

“Now where should we go?” Luna asked.

“Do you see now Luna? I’m not wanted here, if you bring me to the village only worse things will happen.”

=====================================================================

“I think we are ready Star, I mean-I’m not sure you can cram another leaf or root in the bag.” Clover smirked.

“And that’s only reagents from ‘a’ through ‘c’. I must make a device that can hold multiple objects but only weighs the devices total mass...hmm. Well I guess there is nothing left to do Clover but visit the queen.” Star sighed sheepishly, trying to pull herself into her role. *Clank-Smash*

“Ow! Weaver were the horse feather’s did you take me?!” Celestia yelled.

“Astrum?” Clover asked, the two wizards walked to the noise. A white and gold robed griffon and a white mare looked to the two wizards. “Star Swirl your oath to the crown has been called upon!” The young griffon commanded.

“We were just about to leave, who are you two?” Clover asked.

“I am Celestia...though I don’t feel like myself, and this is-ughh...”

“Time Weaver. Star Swirl I come from the passive dimension to give you warning that your life is in danger!”

Celestia groaned in pain as she felt the spans if eons strengthen her magic. “Weaver what did we crash into?”

“My life exchange experiment!” Star gasped, years of cultivation and fermenting a decade long process, ruined in a second. “Do you always let your apprentice formulate high tier potions?” Celestia wondered. Clover grinned nervously “It’s her yearly exam, your serenity. More importantly we should dampen if not stop the potions progression. S-I mean Clover The book on-”

“Got it Mr.Swirl!” Star Swirl said as she pretended to read one of the packed books. “Reverse the effects by joining hoof or claw and telling another a truth that only the true host would know.”

Time weaver sighed “I’ve barely met the princess, and I’m no position to tell others my guarded truths.”
“I love my sister, I will do anything to see her safe again!” Celestia shouted. Time Weaver sighed softly, it wasn’t really her call to make she realized. Plus keeping the princess stuck in her ‘situation’ would surely cause problems later on.

“I love my daughter, so much so I gave away my freedom of true identity to find her.”

“Good now you two must stay committed to these truths or else the potion will revert. It's going to take a bit of time for the safe code to register in and keep in mind that the Safe code it is essentially keeping your two minds apart.” A soft humming emanated from the two as they joined hoof and claw, another loud crash echoed in the library halls.

“What if we don’t.” Celestia whimpered.

“Then for approximately one thousand years you two will be living disjointed lives. But as Time weaver just recently stated, that’s not new to her. Now I’m going to go check on that noise.” Clover walked away from the two. “Doesn’t anyone know how to knock! Isn’t that why we invented knockers!”

“Knock knock.” An elder pony tauntingly whispered to Clover. “Tell me, are you the pony that dare slander my child’s name?!” Clover felt a blade slide up his neck, slowly shaving the fur as it stopped at his chin.

“Clover, you must make sure that Star swirl doesn’t die. If Star Swirl where to die the princesses of magic and love would never return, you would be ruled over by Chaos and the elements that feed off it forever.” Time Weaver said. “Someone is already planning to steal your elements. I can feel how weak they are in this dimension. It won’t be long until Cosmos finds the ponies that hold the purest essences of Harmony.”

“Clover” Star mumbled, Her head whipped backwards to find her most loyal apprentice.

“That’s right Lady Eventide. I used the title to gain the respect I so well deserved. Even after I helped found Equestria, no one gave me the respect I craved. Go ahead Eventide. End my charade.” Clover gave a chuckle that lacked any air if evil, but Eventide fueled by her anger and greed to join Letus in godhood needed little enticing to kill one who would tarnish her lost child’s name.

“Please. Don’t kill him.” Star asked, as a tear beaded down her face.

“Your voice!”- Eventide’s eyes darted to the glowing blade and then to the voice. “Who are you?”

“I am the court wizard of this tower, and that is my apprentice.” Star Swirl kept her body hidden while she honed in all her magic.

“This tower is owned by the Solus hiers, a corrupt and diseased family. They rose to power by unfair means and now my family and I have planned to stop them. First we must become even more powerful. So I will only ask you once Solus pawn, Where is the child you took from me!” Eventide charged wildly to Star Swirl but when her eyes turned behind the bookcase she was petrified. There stood a stallion that was the picture of Dusk family regalty. “Is-” Eventide dropped the blade and outstretched her arms.

“Star Swirl?” Celestia asked.

=====================================================================

“Where are we going now Grue?” Luna asked.

“I’m not going anywhere with you.” A sudden chill crept up on Luna, her eyes flickered in and out of vision.

“What is- What’s going on Grue?”-She stumbled backwards.

“I accept your offer Luna. You want my magic so badly?!” Grue yelled, pushing the princess to the dry earth. He pressing his forehead to her horn and began to groan as the tainted magic poured out of him like a freshly cut limb.

“Grue I don’t want it! I just want to help!”

“And you have done well princess Luna, But now you must let Grue help you. He will help you see the true strength of the dark.” Midnight’s voice whispered to her.

“I don't want to be blind Midnight, I just want Grue to be happy!” Luna cried, she felt her body being pulled, sucked down into another world void of light. When she opened her eyes they became the only source of light. Luna took a single step of faith as the ground began to ripple with white light. It was dim at first but its radiance increased in the distance it tracked. That is until the white water crashed into a rock of onyx. Luna tilted her head, her curiosity getting the better of her. She took another step. Then she readied herself and made a full on dash, though it felt like the faster she ran the further she was from the stone. And when Luna stopped to find where the stone was she was forced to close her eyes. The sheer brightness of her steps had cause the ripples to lose all traces of darkness.

“If you continue to run princess you will never find it. Can you still see, or is your light blinding your path? Take a deeper breath, reflect on your sorrows and the pains of others. Then the waters will fade of light, you’ll see.”

=====================================================================

Astrum and the others made their way to the marketplace, but they could see the dragon long before they left the castle grounds. His figure was growing rapidly as if he was a balloon still trying to fill in his full form, by the time the Queen, Sirius C., Pan and the extra guards had made it to Cosmos he was the height of the tallest castle balcony. Astrum turned to the guards “I need all of you to secure princess Celestia at all costs! Pan you are the only one here besides me with wings. I’m going to trust you to fly to Star Tower and get Star Swirl’s aid. Sirius give me an abridged lesson about Cosmos and the Zebra.”

Everypony followed through with their orders. When Sirius finally concluded all of his knowledge of Cosmos in Zebra culture Astrum only stood in shock. “Cosmos is linked to Aureal? How are you so sure?"

" That night when Midnight left, I followed him and it didn’t take long to see that Midnight was bewitched. The Zebra call Cosmos by another name, Discord.”

“And Discord is cited as the first caster of the Lingering Doubt.” Astrum added.

“Discord wasn’t a wizard, my queen. He is the Lingering Doubt.”-Sirius C. stared mortified at the ever growing creature.

“That’s why Midnight became Sombra, Does Cosmos’ return mean that Sombra is alive?!”

“There’s only one Pony foolish enough to think the Lingerious Dubbi is some tamable spell, My father.”
=====================================================================

Luna didn’t question Midnight’s knowledge. She thought of Grue, and how he lacked a home and a true family. Sure enough the receding water from the stone became dark once more.

“Where am I?” Luna asked.

“Where color ceases to exist, but emotions blend into one. Where a single drop of sadness can churn into an ocean of void of reason. And with each step an innocent takes in such darkness, slowly they become the only one who can soak up the tears. This is your realm Luna, the realm of Serenity. Of course your realm might look a bit different than you might have expected, but that is only because you were born in a world of feigned light.” Luna felt the water start to climb up her fur.

“You are much like my own sister forced to balance every sensation, every emotion so delicately. If you were to say slip, maybe even boil over in rage, think of the waves you would create here, in Serenity.”

“But. You killed my father, you made me slip!” Luna protested.

“And even so, you follow my instruction. You walked through the portal, you met your fate. One such as you can not choose neutrality. You must either become blinded by the light or stumble in the darkness.”

“What if I stayed bright enough to see,and dark enough...”

“Yes..you are seeing it now, is it truly the light that helps you see? Only the weak crave light. Close your eyes Princess, stop pretending that your path is something that can only be seen with light! Embrace your true magic. Embrace Night!”

“I won’t let you hurt Grue, I won’t let you take away any chances of him being happy!” Luna yelled. Waves began to crash into Luna, taking her by surprise. She was freed from the tar like fluid trying to encase her.

“I ate your father’s hopes, little princess. Don’t think you’re innocence will shield you forever!” Midnight growled.

Luna felt her legs give out and she fell into the black water. She tried to scream, she tried to kick but the brightness of her eyes was dimming. Then she stated poetically as the water distorted her voice. “I hate my sister, I hate her light, I envy her life. I wish I could live blindly in the light.” And with her tears released, she felt the oceans of sadness flood into her very being. As the water surged into her throat Luna felt no urge to cough or choke. She had given into the darkness, much like Grue. But only with Grue's added magic could her magic become pure. Her figure elongated, voice matured. Her fur became the darkness itself, she closed her eyes and sighed one final breath of warmth.

=====================================================================

The dragon gave a deafening wail as it took flight. “Follow it my Queen, don’t let it out of your sight!” Sirius C. yelled. Astrum winced her eyes from the shear speed she had to fly to keep up with Cosmos. She stopped hesitantly as she saw just where he was heading. The Savannah. “It is my duty keep Equestria safe.” She repeated to herself as she kept her course into The Zebra’s land.

Author's Note:

Pushing this chapter out early and I'm sorry to anyone waiting for "complete"/ or reading the chapters I have created, but I am taking a hiatus from this story and stories in the DtD Universe. So no chapter 18 June 20th.