• Published 23rd Dec 2012
  • 600 Views, 16 Comments

Dismay Turned Discord - Reedling



An estranged alicorn. A disowned zebra. All leads to the creation of a monster.

  • ...
2
 16
 600

Chapter 18-What the Past Presents

“Nana Ke!” A pinkie filly yelped as she fumbled in the long grass, she was still getting used to running.

“Careful now!” Her mother giggled. She slid her forehooves in between her filly’s, giving her a loving hug as she picked her up. “Remember what the doctor said. ‘to get lots of rest and not to overexert your legs’. Now why don’t you walk back inside dear, I still have some chores to do before dreamfall.”-She placed the filly down carefully to their house’s front gate. “But those are my chores, I don’t want you to leave me again, can’t I help you do them?!”-The filly pleaded tugging on her mother’s dirty dress. “I know they are your chores dear, I was hoping you would spend the time drawing or playing instead. Diana please!” Her mother’s voice grew hoarse as she started to heave and cough.

“Oh..I’m sorry Nana! I’ll go inside and play, I know how you like to work alone.” The flat maned filly walked mournfully back into the house. She forgot her Nana Ke didn’t have much longer to live.
“Still lying your daughter?” A deep voice chided.

“You know I must dear.”- The mare got up, her legs wobbling until she balanced them on the small house fence. “She’s so young, and pure. Let her live her life without me.”

“But she loves you-” Time Weaver gasped as she woke from her flashback.

“Star Swirl?” Celestia asked once more, moving her sore foreleg back to the floor. She turned her gaze to the now conscious griffon. “Time Weaver! For a moment I thought you were sleeping. Clover and Star haven’t said anything after that big crash happened. What should we do?”

“We have to keep Swirl safe, let’s find her.” The griffon peaked out of the room and surveyed both sides before getting into a stealthy pose, Celestia tried to mimic as best as should could, but ended up bumping into the sneaky griffon instead. Time turned her head and repeated her processes.

=====================================================================

Night had finally reached the moon princess’s control, but had she lost anything in return? She couldn’t remember much of what felt like a sugar fueled nightmare.Nightmares? She controlled the dreamworld now, with no opposition to oppress her true power! But she still held a fear to water and drowning. Aquaphobia aside Luna felt complete and to test her new power she planned to invoke night a bit earlier, if she could find herself out of wherever the dream had displaced her. It was strange, Luna felt as if she had been in this dank cave once before. But this couldn’t be Dragon’s Throat Cave, could it?

Maybe her mother had grown fearful of her daughter's new power and had exiled her whilst she slept. She did remember wishing to be as naive as her sister, to be blinded by the light. She remembered saying she hated her sister, but was that true? In all her time in Equestria she never remembered Damson whisking her away on adventures, or even hearing her parents give consent for such grand adventure’s to start. Maybe it wasn’t actual hate, but a burning feeling, like the throbbing of an over pulled muscle and Celestia was the salt to Luna’s over stretched flesh. Luna rubbed her chest in discomfort as her mind mimic the pain subtly.

So it is just meek jealousy that rallied her new strength, how curious. Luna exhaled sharply watching as her cool breath wisp to a new forming light. Luna closed her eyes to it’s growing brightness, then glared to it “Begone weak light, your radiance shall cower under my rule!” Luna ordered,she raised a hoof to her muzzle in shock. “My voice, I sound so bitter. But that’s not me, it can’t be me. I love my sister. The light helps me see.” Soon the light began to float playfully by Luna’s eyes. “Hello there little light, can you help me out of here?”

The bouncing light split into many smaller lights and made their way behind Luna playing in her baby blue hairs. “What are you doing back there?” Luna got up and turned, but the light clung to her hair. Luna felt her hair become light as air,and when she raised a hoof through it, it felt cold. The lights had found their own spots to her mane and tail.

“What did I let myself become?” Luna wondered.

“I see her Maua, Hurry!” Grue’s voice echoed.

Luna turned to the noise “Grue?! Are you alright?”

“Just stay there moon princess,we are on own way.” Maua said cautiously.

“I don’t understand, why you two are acting so strange.”

“This is The gold mother’s den Luna, It’s where her dark emotions brood.”

“How did I get here...”Luna gazed her eyes suspiciously at the two growing figures.

“We were fooling around and got carried away, ended up on top of the cave. You fell down and I tried to talk to you but your eyes were flickering in and out. I noticed your horn was against my forehead, but when I tried to move away I felt this dark force holding me paralyzed until you disappeared. Then I ran to Maua, and she told me that it must be Crystalline tricking you.” Grue explained as the two reached her.

“I’m not sure I’m the same Luna anymore Grue, I feel different.”

“You’re Serenity. You have to find out how to balance the light and dark on your own Luna.” Grue told her “Here let me give you a hoof up.” He gave a polite bow and lowered his hooves to her. “It’s time Maua and I help you see what the Chrysos of Serenity will be.”

Luna grasped her black hooves to Grue’s and with a lift from Grue she rose up. The two zebra noticed her different size but stayed quiet leading her out of the cave and Maua began to ask some more questions.
====================================================================

Sunlight was fading as Astrum flew with what remained of her energy. “I-I’ve got nothing left in me, but my love. I want Luna to be safe, I need my children to make it out alright.” She thought as she lost altitude. She felt the heat of her drifting sun become colder as she gave one final thrust of speed from her wings. Then the image of the shadow like dragon fell out of view and her eyes welled up as she fell to the unforgiving earth below. “I’m a failure. To my kingdom, to my children, to my-” She gasped as she hung by her forehooves only ten feet from her death.

“I’m sorry my queen, but I think you’ll excuse this transgression.”

“Phaun...I’ve never been so happy to see you be yourself.”

“It’s rather hot here, you sure it’s a wise idea to go alone Brightly?”

“Phaun I told you to never-” Astrum looked above her to see a cloud.

“You looked like you needed some help, so I asked if it was alright. Take care of yourself Brightly.” The cloud drifted her to the dry earth below. It landed as if it was equine taking the form of an old familiar face. Astrum smiled softly to the cloud,giving it a gentle hug before it drifted back into the sky. “Thank you brother.” She whispered.

“Go save your future.” The cloud echoed as it flew beyond the other clouds.

“Thank you Aether.” Astrum lowered her head in respect. “But I’m in need of some more help, if you could lead me in the direction of Cosmos.”

“Why do you search for nothing?” she heard the wind churning the sand whisper to her.

“Because this dragon of nothing will end the world I know.”

“What would your younger self do? In your youth all you had was pure hope in others, and you changed much more than you dreamed a frail pegasus could. You felt true love and made a new breed, you are the mother to a country. It’s more responsibility then you asked for and maybe that is why now you are truly slipping from the reins. You were born a pegasus but now command more power than your mother. That moment you saw your daughter's as more than children but prodigies to rival your allotted power marked no only the end of your rule, but the start of something stronger. Since your children can command the power of both magic and sky, since your royalty is a debt to a soul whose loyalties now change as the seasons.”

“So I am to step down and leave my fillies to wander alone? I couldn’t possibly do that, they are my children!”Astrum yelled, she brought herself to a tree’s shade and sat.

“Not a moment of rest. Hasn’t that been your life? You feel the hope of your country fading and yet your hope is unwavering, as it was in your youth. You have a power that no magic can truly replicate. But is it wise to sleep in a world so far from your own? And is the advice of a mirage truly comforting?”

Astrum shook her head softly and the whispers of the wind died out. “No, I guess it isn’t wise to sleep here.” She rose aching joints and began walking. This was the land of an emotion eater all Astrum had to do was follow her heart, to the cries of disharmony.

=====================================================================
“Look at my boy, just as hoofsome as your father in his prime! Why it makes no sense that you’ve been hiding in here without even a word to your parents.” Eventide pouted walking even closer to the figure as she bent her old body in for a hug she fell through the mirage. “Hrrrghhhh! Typical Solus trickery!” Eventide spat, her face became more deranged as she dispelled her disguise. She turned to the blade only to see a small filly dragging the hilt with her magic. “Just what do you think your doing little filly...” Smoke trailed from her mouth as she spoke.

Star Swirl let out a squeak filled shrill as she pressed her magic to drag faster. Clover used his magic to lift both Swirl and the blade. “What are you doing Clover!” He asked.

Eventide charged after the blade. “Who’s heart is loyal...Whose essence the stronger!?” The crazed mare sang with a twitch of the eye. She looked to the sword that was glowing so bright Swirl lifted her hooves over her eyes. “I can’t tell, maybe I should kill you both!” Eventide chuckled eerily.

“What should we do Weaver.” Celestia whispered.

“Why couldn’t I get here faster, before she got the blade of loyalty.” The griffon asked herself a loud. “I’m horrible at my duties.”

“Time weaver, you have a wizard to save. Stop asking why.” Celestia said.

“What was that!” Eventide growled, she forced the blade from Clover’s magic and turned to Celestia and Time Weaver. The blade still glowed. “You all are just so loyal, it’s hard to see who is the most. Cosmos want the cream of the crop and I shalln’t disappoint. Who wishes to meet Letus first!”

The room grew silent.

=====================================================================

“Serenity is a realm where one's thoughts must always be in balance. The light of the stars and darkness of night’s sky should never outweigh in priority. Just as the sun Luna. It must be gentle with its heat and gilding with its light, too hot or bright and all creation would suffer.” Maua replied. “Now I really must ask have you eaten any flora in the savannah whilst you’ve been here?”

“There was one flower,but it tasted so bitter that I spit it out.” Luna said.

“Ahh, Well I’m sure you know now the savannah’s flowers are not as name as Equestria’s. What color was this flower?”

“Pink and greens.”

“Oh my! No wonder you were so confused, the plant you ate is a mind altering one. It’s called frog’s gut, because if its taste. Which I’m sure you are aware of.”

“Euck! I tried to eat a flower named frog’s gut.”

“That’s the same flower Uchawi asked me to get...” Grue said.

“Yes, but frog’s gut can be used in other remedies with some unlikely flowers it can cure all sorts of ailments. Though it seems our tribe is moving far away from there traditions. They used to practice magic imbuing with potions and ingredients. Now a days the lessons I teach are so basic everyone in the tribe should know...”

“Hofu seems to know more then the rest of us.”

“Yes, well...He’s different. And not in the good way.” Maua said coldly as she fastened her pace. “We should get home before night, there are creatures out here that don’t fear even Serenity.”

Luna matched her speed with Maua, Grue was behind by only a few steps. They had made it back safely and Maua started the fire to her cauldron for some food. Luna laughed and played just as she did at home. This time it felt different, this time she really felt at home. The crackle of the small fire, the friendship of someone who wasn’t family. She felt her body take it in, soon her black fur became navy blue and her hair stood still.

“I was wondering Maua, what actually happen in here while-”

Grue placed a hoof to her shoulder. “Maua saw my father,but doesn’t remember the rest...”

“He left in a hurry. I remember him being scared, I assume for your safety. He began to mumble about his family, and how he was..” Maua turned her eyes back to the pot. “I shouldn’t say. You’ve endured so much Grue, I just want you to live your life in the savannah safe from harm. Why don’t you stay here with me, maybe your father will come back.”

“I don’t think he will. He’s a pony...”

“What’s your father’s name, Grue.” Luna asked.

“Sirius.”

“My father’s old friend was called Sirius. I remember him talking about how he left Equestria. He left the throne for my parents.” Luna smiled to him. “Because of your father I’m closer to knowing myself than I was weeks ago. I got to see a world not glassed over by rumor and mystery, best of all I got to meet you.”

“Our fathers...helped us meet.” Grue smiled back to Luna. He had never thought about the life his father lived before the savannah to know that his new friend had heard of him only strengthened the hope he would see him.

“That sounds like the will of Cosmos.” Maua added. “The serpent of time, spills not a drop of rain before a cloud’s prime. He waits for the sun to slip of size before he graces night’s waking eyes.”

“Does that mean I’m going to be visited by a snake Maua?” Luna giggled.

“Hopefully this tale is just a good rhyme. I hope it doesn’t keep you from raising the moon and stars.”

“Of course not. I just didn’t want to be rude. I-I mean I really liked talking to you and Grue and if I made it night time, then you’d go to bed.” Luna looked outside hiding her teary eyes from the town zebra as she confessed.

“I promise tomorrow we’ll all wake up and talk some more.” Maua said, she poured some river water to snuff the cauldron’s fire. Grue gave a soft yawn trying his hardest to mask its sound, but Luna heard and nodded.
=====================================================================

Astrum had been walking through the brush in what felt like a pasted loop of familiar shrubs and flowers. “A Pegasus prides herself in grace and ferocity.” Astrum heard her mother’s voice repeat to her.

“What have I become now but a husk, a shell grasping for her mother’s good graces. Like the day I flew home holding my newborns, one in each foreleg. I remember your tears and your gasp of horror that I had no male heirs but they were not pegasi. That I was not pegasi anymore. Father was the only one to congratulate me. Then again he was always the more open minded, for a pegasus your head never once strayed into the clouds.” *Snap* Astrum gasped losing her trail of thought. She look down to the snapped twig. “That’s odd...”Astrum eyes grew wide as a scent of evergreen sap clouded over her nostrils in a toxic green cloud. “It’s makes no sense for Timber wolves to be in the savannah, unless I was placed off course.” Astrum glared to the sky. “Why did you take me off course brother...” Astrum wondered. Right now she didn’t have time question everyone else's motives, the howls were growing in volume and Astrum had no clue of their weakness. She closed her eyes as even the sun did not which to aid her.
=====================================================================

“Which one to choose? There is no margin for error you see. I need the most loyal and If it means killing you all to solve this, then that is what I’ll do!” Eventide violently motion her forehoof with the blade as she screamed. Her eyes stared deep into Time Weaver. “A soul bound by love. Tell me, what would your child do if she never saw you again?” The old mare flinged her head to Star Swirl. “The apprentice would show much bravery in defending a Mentor...or how about I take Celestia! And drag her to the top of her shimmering castle for her mother’s heart! Then I would kill not only a Solus and help the true king take his throne but I will achieve the power that you have been so freely given.” The old mare gave a spit to the ground as she looked to the princess.

“Take me then.” Weaver ordered. “My loyalty to the Solus and the future they bring is why your blade shines. My daughter is safe with her father.”

“Then you are not what I desire. Loyalty needs to be grown, and you are too quick to spill your blood. What of the teacher? Why don’t you teach your apprentice some selflessness!” Eventide lunged her dagger at Star Swirl. Her filly eyes grew wide, entranced by the blade’s power. Soon the light of the blade became so bright the short sword began to hum and the filly was forced to close her eyes. Her whole body lifted and crashed unforgivingly to the stone floor. She heard the muffled gasps of pain of a stubborn pony, one that couldn’t bare the thought of her in harm’s way. She couldn’t look, her eyes became so watery she couldn’t see even if they were open. What was the use anyway, she knew she was safe. Her mind began to repeat over hoping she had misheard. Maybe the blade actually hit her, taken her and Clover couldn’t bare his broken promise and fought back? Maybe Time Weaver went back to warn them sooner.

“It’s time to open your eyes Star Swirl...you must face your path and see your destiny.”
Star Swirl heard.