• Published 23rd Dec 2012
  • 599 Views, 16 Comments

Dismay Turned Discord - Reedling



An estranged alicorn. A disowned zebra. All leads to the creation of a monster.

  • ...
2
 16
 599

Chapter 14-Lost Hoofprints

“Crystalline!” Grue heaved meekly. He felt like he had been there for days, sliding his body against the wall the tried once more to find the doorway. He heard the sound of dark crackling, followed by a soft tap of hooves. “Hello?” Grue yelled. A faint mumble came from the hallway and feminine scream. “Please help me! Someone!” He yelled again, the clopping of hooves got louder.

“What happened here!” Luna whimpered. There had to of been ten to fifteen mangled and scared bodies laying with faces frozen in terror and anguish. Pieces of every race laid in piles of mismatched colors in puddles of blood. Splatters of blood were on every wall and some still dripped from the ceiling. Luna moved herself further into the building, her mouth opened, a survivor? Or was he the murderer? He was rather thin but completely clean, besides a few smears on his haunches. “Excuse me.” Luna said.

Grue turned sharply to the voice. “Thank you. I am so glad someone else is here!” Grue moaned already in tears. She looked to his eyes, they were faded. Did that mean he was blind?

“What’s your name...” She asked tip-hoofing over to him.

“My tribe called me Grue.” He said, sulking in shame.

“Oh, what does that mean?” She asked, almost reaching him. Grue extended a hoof out, the back of it traced from her neck up to her chin.

“You’re different from the other ponies. Like me, I was different from the other zebra. They called me Grue to tease me for being different, to single me out from my tribe.” Grue had spend far too long over thinking his life.

“That explains your stripes, and your accent. My name is Luna.” Luna smiled to him, she move his hoof off her face softly. “I apologize if I sound rude asking, but are you blind?”

“It’s not rude at all Luna, I am blind. I have magic that I can not use.”

“I never knew Zebras had magic.”

“Normally they do not. Zebras prefer the properties of herbs and flora over pure magic.”

“...Why is that?”

“Because of an old Zebra tale of a goddess called Chrysos. She was tasked with painting the world with color. She wished the sky blue, and the grass to be green. Then she wish the rivers blue, and leaves green as well. Her sister looked and asked her for a new color, so Chrysos made the colors red and purple. But she did not like the colors red and purple so she mix the two together.

“And made pink?”

“Magenta, but some could see them the same.”

“But how did the color create your peoples hate for magic?”

“It was the color of Chrysos’ sister, or at least the color she made herself when she saw Chrysos fall in love with magenta. Her sister only wished to be loved like the color Chrysos created and Chrysos wanted to paint the sky,the trees and the rivers in it. So her sister, hidden in this new magenta colored world, snuck up on Chrysos and used all of her magic to take away Chrysos’ power of color, which left Chrysos black as the night sky.”

“That’s a very sad tale. So Chrysos’ love for the color drove her to paint our whole world it, and her sister wanted it to stay the way it was so she took away her power?”

“With magic. Her sister took away the very core of Chrysos’ joy, since then Chrysos or as you probably know her by, Crystalline has been shrouded in anger and a desire to curse anyone who is happy.”

“I wonder if that’s why she’s after you Grue...”Luna thought. Maybe if she brought him back to his tribe he could be happy again, that could cure him, at least Luna hoped. “Maybe there’s a Zebra that can help you Grue? Is there anyone in your tribe that you trust.”

“I promised I’d never go back.”

“I have a feeling that if we go back there I can stop Crystalline.”

“Why? Will you use your magic and banish her?”

“No. I have another idea Grue.”

Grue wasn’t sure of his new friend, he had no reason to trust her but no reason to doubt her intentions pure. He gave a smile to her, “I guess there is no harm in trying, but there is one problem. You do not know the Zebra’s savannah, and I am blind.”

“Then how did you get here?”

“I told you Luna, the magic is cursing my eyes. Zebra are not meant for such things.”

“What if I took some of your magic out?”Luna insisted.

“For the last ti-Wait...you want to take it?”Grue had started to hear Crystalline’s voice echoing in the back of his head. ‘Let me grant you some of my magic Grue dear!’ He shook his head, hoping to end her plaguing whispers.

“Is that a no, Grue?”

“No, Wait...This could be a trap Luna.”

“A trap, by who?”

“Chr-Crystalline. She’s been begging me to take her magic, she wanted me to grow a horn.”

“That’s not very safe at all Grue. A unicorn foal is a hoofful, you are almost an adult and you have never casted magic as a unicorn. You would-”

“What? What happens!”

“Go insane.”Luna gulped, shaking as she began to create a theory to the dead ponies around her. Crystalline had tried to make him a unicorn, and somehow he grew a horn. Maybe his body rejected the horn, and he was left blinded with the remnants of her magic. It seemed possible, almost too easy to stick together. Midnight Star had told her that Crystalline had infected both her father and Grue. But Grue seemed well, other than contracting blindness. And if Grue was now blind, how could he even become a threat to Equestria? He couldn’t see where he was heading.

“Are you still there Luna?”

“Y-Yes Grue. I’m still here, I guess I’ll just lead you home.”She trotted to his side and put one of his forehooves around hers. They had almost made it out of the building until, *Thunk* Grue had slipped on one of the bodies. Luna flipped on her back to the floor, and Grue had landed face first in one of the rotting piles of body parts.

“Chrysos, it wasn’t a dream?!” Grue screamed. “I-I thought it was a dream!” He pulled himself up and began to sob.

“Grue, you knew about the bodies?” Luna asked, rubbing her back.

“All I could do was hear them cry or scream. I couldn’t see what was going on, so I just thought it was just another bad dream. I just don't understand Luna...Why did they die?”

The more Luna found out about Grue the weirder the whole situation became. He had dreams of death, and not only death but hearing ponies die and him being helpless. Maybe there was another being locked in him? Grue didn’t seem capable of what laid around them, he was already in tears when he found out his nightmares were very real. Luna casted her magic around the bodies, rooms and finally to Grue. It was a spell that picked up on traces of magic and hoof prints. Grue got up and tried his best to make it to Luna by following the low hum her spell transmitted. Luna’s heart began to beat wildly, it couldn’t be. None of Grue's hoofprints where even remotely near the bodies or the blood smears, but his body radiated with an almost blinding light of magic. The two didn’t add up, if Grue had magic then the spell should show his prints. She was certain her spell was working correctly,since it wasn’t her first time using it. It only furthered her suspicions that Grue may not be the only witness to what happened in here.

==============================================================================

Astrum opened her lids to reveal bloodshot eyes. Her eyes had stayed open all night watching the door that held Sirius inside. She hoped by now Pan..or was it Phaun, had found some reasoning behind Sirius’ betrayal. Little did she know Pan had known Sirius’ intent without many moons passing. What he spent his time doing since then was roping around any hole in his latest alibi.

Sirius C. Dusk had found out much in the years the Dusk family name fell to ruin, they used to own this part of land and much more when Spectral Dusk ruled. But to look at them now, it was pitiful. They owned three acres of land and in that land a three bedroom loft. Pan gave a deep sigh as he looked to the sky, it was his fault for their misfortune.

“Astrum, in her youth was an adventurous and wild filly, and her parents in all their wisdom decided the only way to harness her potential as much more than an adventurous mare was to arrange a marriage with two promising candidates.There was Damson Elderberry a colt primed and picked much like the fruit he distilled to be a suave gentlecolt, or Sirius B. Dusk. Now in my time around Brightly and Midnight there was never a pony I felt deserved less than he owned quite like this Sirius. He was a trimming of his father’s tree, the only difference one could make was his mother’s heterochromia gene. Only in the final moments of Astrum’s old life did I see how different he was to his father.

He hid his true self to only the ones he trusted, and as you could guess he did not trust me. The day I made Brightly and Midnight into Astrum and Morpheus was the day your father fully explained to me what I had done was not my right to choose. It was one of the highest moments of my failure as a friend and a protector of harmony.” Pan turned to gaze at Sirius C. “If it wasn’t for my ignorance, however, your father would have never of married Lily Drop.” Pan whispered.

“You’re the reason I was born?” The navy colt asked.

“Damson brought her to your father, and I led the way.” Pan smiled.

"So you admit to tricking Damson to give up on the love of his life, and sending some flower mare to dirty my bloodline!” Sirius spat in Pan’s eyes. Pan lowered his head as the silvia puddled into a drop on his snout, he wiped the excess away and gave a soft groan.

“I’ll admit, Crystalline has spent quite some time with you Sirius C. You know a lot more than any colt should. But what is it you want me to tell you?”

“You’re still interested in my needs Phaun? What of yours?! There’s a cold dark secret held up in your throat. When the time is right you will scream it, yell it so loud that everyone who dared to trust you will know, just. Who. You. Are. The sickening part of it all is you will be happy, you will be glad that you killed her.”

Pan stepped back from Sirius who was now moaning in pain as Crystalline’s magic tried to battle its way out of the young stallion. The potion Pan had created kept it locked in Sirius’ body. “The Lingerius Dubbi can be cured Sirius C. Dusk! But only if you tell me what your mind is stuck on, what doubt lingers in your mind?”

==============================================================================

“Grue, how long have you been here?”

“I...I don't remember Luna. I couldn’t see the sun or moon to keep track.”

“What time was it when you were here, and could see?”

“Dusk.”

“So the sun had already set, and you came inside for shelter? Do you live here?”

“No...I live about three days away. One would just have to follow Lilypad Lake to reach my tribe. But I was running away, I didn’t want Crystalline to hurt anyone else.”

“Crystalline hurt someone you love?”

“I’m not certain, but I can tell the zebra Crystalline took away from me was my mother.”

“I’m sure your father-”

“I’ve never met my father Luna.”

Luna felt her throat swell, was this how it was for all Zebra? She couldn’t help feeling disgusted in her kingdom, until she realized. She was judging her mother and father’s abilities. Why did they sit-oh that's right. Zebra considered magic evil. “That’s-horrible Grue. Forgive me if I sound preachy but I would rather be with the ones I love than alone. There’s nothing worse than believing you are alone. Let’s go back to your tribe and we will make sure you can stay in your tribe.” Luna protested with new found vigor, she stood up tall and resumed her walk with Grue’s forehoof slung by her side. Grue could tell Luna wouldn’t take no for an answer. He hoped that she could make things right, but he couldn’t help feeling that the very sight of her would drive the chieftain in a wild rage.

==============================================================================

“What lingers in my mind is why you have Brightly outside this door, she should be in here. Oh and why everyone calls you by your last name, not even your real last name, but some skewed version of it. What is the great Arborous Phaun hiding from the queen of Equestria?”

“Nothing is hidden from me Sirius.” Astrum responded in his mind.

“I thought it best to keep Her Grace closeby, but not in the same room Sirius. You did declare regicide after all, one would take certain measures.” Pan remarked with a cocky smirk.

“Then why not let Brightly rest all together? She will need her strength of she hopes for a fighting chance against Cosmos.” Sirius barked as he squirmed his body violently in the magic binds roped tightly to him.

“Because as you stated she should be here listening in, for your and my sake. Now are you upset about your father? He choose his stance and was willing to give his crown to Morpheus.”

“Yes...he did. He gave Midnight his own chest armor, and the brash fool wore it ‘til his dying day!” Sirius snorted a bit as he couldn't control his laughter. Pan gave a hopeful smile to the colt, this was the laugh he remembered, he felt he was close to saving him.

“What about the armor Sirius?”Pan asked turning his gaze to the potion.

“What! you know know about it!?” Sirius gasped softly. “Then my queen has not wished you to learn of her plan! I shan't say another word of it!”

“Is that so? I guess you just need a bit more Hopius potion then, I was hoping you would cure yourself and just tell me...but I guess If I have to force the real Sirius to tell me, so be it.” With his magic Pan flicked the potion, spraying the top of Sirius’ forehead and mane. He gave a ear numbing wail as the potion seeped in. The two magics fought each other for control of Sirius’ body, each demanding their place. Sirius could feel his organs and limbs become numb and then throb with a fiery heat.This was happening all across his body, bringing the colt to an out pour of tears.

“Phaun Help! My queen-She plans-you will never kill her, never win-I’m sorry!”

“Concentrate Sirius! What is your queen planning!”

“She’s setting up Luna! She will become a perfect princess! No, no...she wants her to change, like Midnight!” Sirius panted, shaking his head in hopes to clear his thoughts.

Astrum held her breath, she felt her tears flood to her cheeks as she pieced together her old memories. When Midnight was subdued by Crystalline he changed his form into a cloud of black smoke. He wished himself to be the night itself, as it was his life’s ambition to touch the moon. But how would she be able to? Midnight changed because he was told the only way to defeat Crystalline and protect Equestria was to change into Sombra. But in changing into Sombra he let his magic become altered, yes he did it for the right reasons, but his reasoning became so easily distorted when he let Crystalline change him that any trace of good intention mean little under her control. What angle did she have to make Luna change? She loved her sister and even though Astrum had grounded Luna, Astrum was sure Luna understood it was a temporary solution. She was still very proud of her magic abilities, she was going to give her a party because of it.

“Thank you Sirius, I have one final question, for both of you. Where is your father?”

“In-His...on his old throne!” Sirius gasped out, he began to scream louder as the potion wore off. Pan gave a soft smile to him. “Forgive me Sirius.” Pan bowed his head as he created another full flask of the potion, and poured both it and the rest of the old potion onto Sirius’ horn and mane. Sirius scream grew from a shocked yelp to a growing roar of sorrow. Pan was glad the dungeon floor was built with magic imbued materials to dampen sound from the rest of the castle. In other words the only way Astrum would have known that Sirius or Pan were in there was because she had casted a spell beforehoof to listen.

==============================================================================

Finally the air was fresh and Luna could feel Grue’s body shivering as they trotted farther from the ghost town. It was almost out of view, but the further Grue got the more violent his shaking became. Luna turned only to see he had been biting his lower jaw so hard that it had softly bled ,his eyes lids were locked so tightly pressed that his head was shaking. “Grue?”

“River. That-way!” Grue lifted his shaking hoof west.

“Why are you shaking Grue?” Luna asked.

“I didn’t leave that building-spent three maybe five days in there-”

Luna gave a firm clear of the throat, “So you’re thirsty?” Luna could feel her own stomach groan for substance.

“More hunger than thirst, Wait!”

Luna stopped sharply. “I feel grass below us, thick grass. Stay alert for a blue flower, bell or star shaped, it is poisonous.” Grue didn’t want anymore memories of that foul weed.

“Will do, any plants I should be looking for?”

“It’s rare close to Lily’s lake, but if you find any white cup-shaped flower,clover shaped leaves and it is usually blue on the tips.some of that would be nice.”

Luna gave another smile to Grue, she hadn’t fully fathomed that Grue was blind, and so her attempts at being friendly wouldn’t be seen. Grue took slow breaths trying to force himself into a meditative state, he was finding it hard to do. Anytime he had almost reached until he felt a biting cold push him awake, it was starting to get Grue angry, so angry he began chewing his lower lip.
==============================================================================

“Pan-”

“Yes, Astrum I feel it.” There was a mass of dark magic heading towards the caste, could it be Crystalline?

“I do not think this is a wise idea Pegasus.”Polaris growled low. Him and Eventide had long cloaks on, with Omen in front the castle guards did not ask any question, but still held their suspicions.

“It was unwise to hide in your home as if this was a simple illness, what you have needs the utmost attention and you will not get that by simply sitting at home.-Your serenity, Celestia!” Omen rushed to the filly. As Celestia stopped and looked to Omen she could see the puffy bags under his eyes, then she sensed it. her mind flooded with voices and whispers all around her all telling her one thing.'Help me!'

“What’s going on here!” Celestia ordered.

“Celestia? Are you alright?” Omen moved closer lifting a hoof rubbing her shoulder comfortingly.

The voices growled louder “Help us!”

“Who is doing that!?” Celestia stumbled backwards, some of the guards moved to the princess, leaving their posts.

“Your grace what is the matter?” one of the guards asked.

“Somepony is using magic, they’re putting voices in my head. They’re asking for help. Whoever needs help can just ask my mother, you don’t need to use telepathy.”

“Everything hurts...I’m sorry Celes’ I never meant to hurt you...”

“Father!” Celestia whispered. Her eyes stared to Omen as she stood up straight once more. “Thank you kindly.” She yelped and ran upstairs to her room.

“Did she just say father?” One of the guards asked another.

“She must be coping her father’s death pretty harshly...I can’t say I blame the filly.”

“What happen to His majesty?” Omen asked.

“He passed three days ago...where have you been?”

“In Prancington looking for Sirius...”

“Well good news he came to us, bad news is he’s infected with the curse.”

“Lingerius.” Eve moaned.

“Who are those hooded ponies behind you?”

“They’re prisoners of war. Please return to your posts, all of you.” Omen urged stepping in front of Eve and Polaris before a guard could unmask them. “Com’n you two to Dragon’s Throat!” Omen trotted to the dungeons, keeping the two Dusks in front of him.
==============================================================================

“Daddy? Come back! Talk to me!” Celestia cried.

“I’m here,I hear you Celes’. I need to know if you mom told you about what happened.”

“With...you...she told me Crystalline did it.”

“Good. You know the truth, so you know what that means right?”

“No. What are you asking of me father?”

“I need to borrow your body.”

“You’re not my father....are you Crystalline? Where’s my sister!”

“Crystalline has her dear. I know you’re sad and you don’t know who to trust anymore. Your mother never told you how I died, did she?”

“Does that really matter?”

“In this instance, yes. I died in the dream world. Every being dreams, even a daydream is still a dream. So I searched and searched for your essence.” Celestia felt her eyes become heavy. “I just need a few more moments dear...I need your help.”

“Yes...Father.” Celestia’s eyes opened to reveal purple irises as her father’s magic forced her filly frame to mature. Her gait mimicked her father’s as best as her female frame would allow, as they headed toward Pan’s bedroom.