• Published 23rd Dec 2012
  • 600 Views, 16 Comments

Dismay Turned Discord - Reedling



An estranged alicorn. A disowned zebra. All leads to the creation of a monster.

  • ...
2
 16
 600

Chapter 5-Second Thoughts

Morpheus had put Celestia to bed, covering her in only the softest of sheets. She had given him little hassle even when trying her hardest to stay awake for her dad. He was usually busy with a unicorn’s complaint or suggestion. He picked up on her reluctance to sleep, and began telling tales he remembered being told to him. They sated the filly’s desire, and she fell asleep with a soft smile of sweet dreams. It was a smile that made Morpheus forget all about seeing his daughter leave the Evergreen Forest. With the star king’s mind in a state peace, he trotted to his chambers to rest with his somepony.

=====================================================================

Luna however, could do anything but sleep. She wasn’t sure why but when the moon was out all she’d want to do was watch it glow in the sky. She pictured things hidden in her stars. A lion and scorpion fused together,or maybe a giant bear made out of stars. She had never seen the things she came up with, and to be honest she was glad she didn’t. The iris blue princess gave a soft sigh she had taken one of her mother’s circle cushions to her private balcony. It helped her sleep, since she couldn’t always ask her parents if she could sleep in their bed. “Oh, Celestia...”, her mind remembering a few hours ago. “Did you not like my stars? Is that why you ran away?”

“Excuse me, princess.”

Luna looked around for the voice. It was soft almost timid. “Hello....who-who’s there?” A soft pat came from behind her, her head almost snapping to the fuzzy paw. There stood a brown lagomorph dressed in copper toned armor and dark green and yellow clothes. “A royal.....bunny?” She give a soft giggle.

“That’s hare, please...Princess Luna.” He gave a corrective tone, with a clear of the throat.

“How..are you talking?” She questioned.

“Now, now you live in a world filled with much more magical things then a talking hare. May I get back to the subject at hoof, please? My lord sent me.”

“A lord? Lord of what? How haven’t I seen him? All royalty lives in Canterlot, or at least visits-” Harrington coughed loudly at her, and she closed her mouth, blushing softly.

“My lord wishes to stay a secret. He does wish for you to know however if you want to see him, he is in the Evergreen forest.”

“Isn’t that dangerous? The Evergreen forest has these creatures called timber wolves!”

“He is aware, they do not frighten him. Well I guess that is all,it was nice meeting the “quiet moon princess” .”

“...Quiet moon princess?”

“Oh, I’m sorry...I’m taking somepony’s description of you out of context. It was ‘Quite useless moon princess’.terribly sorry...now I just sound rude!” The hare gave a bow in apology.

“WHO-...I mean who dares call me useless?”

“I-I’m sorry my princess but I’m not sure who...I was just over hearing my lord talk about what ponies think of the royal family. I really must go, so sorry again.” The outfitted lagomorph then gave a jump off her balcony to Luna’s surprise. She gasped and lunged to save him from the fall, but he had escaped her reach. She didn’t hear a sound of his fall.

This talk of her being useless danced around in her head. She wouldn’t dare go in the forest alone. She found herself resting comfortably on her mother’s cushion, after working so hard on so many new stars, and constellations. It was her body and maybe the scent of her mother’s hair that coaxed Luna into drifting into a good night's sleep.

=====================================================================

Celestia gave a well rested yawn and stretched as she got out of bed. She could smell that the chef was preparing some sweet cream and rose popovers, though she wasn’t sure why he was making food so early in the morning. She looked outside her balcony to see a fully risen sun. She had overslept. “I slept til’ noon!” She yelped, galloping out of her room to find her parents.

=====================================================================

“My liege...The earth ponies are demanding the sun be up faster...I understand you have foals of your own...But it must. The sun must be up on time!”

“DO NOT RAISE YOUR VOICE TO ME!” Morpheus boomed.

“Morpheus!” Astrum nudged her hoof on his. “I think you need to get yourself some refreshments,maybe some food? You know how cranky you get, without proper diet.” She whispered. Morpheus gave a heavy sigh, nodding his head to the both. Searching for Celestia last night had taken away from Morpheus’ sleep, not to mention there were these strange memories trying to pry out of his subconscious. after leaving the throne room, his mind began to linger on these thoughts. “My deepest apologies Sir Harbinger. My daughter was late to wake today. It will not happen again.”she gave one of her signature smiles that made even the most heated of arguments seem pleasant. “Please on your way out help yourself to the mess hall.” She added. The messenger pegasus smiled back and trotted to the mess hall.

“Mommy why was dad yelling?” A pouty-faced Luna asked.

“Your father...oh.. He was using the Royal Canterlot voice dear. Some subjects however...” Astrum paused to make sure her words sounded right to tell such a young filly.

“It’s like giving a hoofshake to a pony you’ve known for a long time. It’s discourteous to not only your friend’s feelings but to their reputation.” She explained.

“So...Harbinger thinks he’s being talked down to?” Luna replied. She gave a smiling,for understanding so quickly.

“Mother?” Celestia asked as she entered the throne room. Luna’s eyes looked to her sister who was interrupting a rare break to speak with her mom.

“If it isn’t the sleeping mare.” Astrum gave a joking chuckle.“How was your extra rest?” she added.

“Mother,I’m sorry! I’m so-so-so-so-”

“Whoa-there my little pony. I don’t believe you’ll make a habit of sleeping in late. A growing mare does need her beauty sleep though.” The galaxy alicorn smiled to Celestia, turning her head fully so Luna could not see her wink of understanding. It was the sign that later she was going to get a stern talking to later. But not now, in the beginning of the afternoon since she had just woken up. Luna gave a soft cough, hoping to attract her mother’s attention again.

“Right momma?” She asked again, still holding her smile.

“What?-Oh,sort of dear...It was disrespectful to talk in the Royal Canterlot Voice because Sir Harbinger is a pony with a high reputation around Canterlot.”

“Oooooh....it wasn’t about talking down...it was about his pride!?” she rebutted in question.

“Kinda, Luna..” Celestia tried to help in the conversation. “You know how our seamstress has the reputation for being high class? She doesn’t talk to people from other towns because they aren’t of the same class!"

"Celest'-!” Astrum coughed. The white filly’s ears fell limp from her mother’s disapproval. “Maybe I should be the one to teach Luna? I thank you for trying though,would you mind if you found your father for me please?” her eyes pointing to the mess hall as she told Celestia.

“Oh...okay.” She trotted along the red carpet to her father.

=====================================================================

Morpheus had been in and out of it today. When he went to bed yesterday his mind drifted to the issue he has so easily forgotten,that little secret that Canterlot couldn’t recall. There was a young brown colt who had been a guest of the palace. He was a nameless Alicorn,who barely ate his fancified meals,or associated with other ponies. Which came under the name Pan because 'He liked the way it sounded.' No Morpheus’ mind had not been kind to him, always stirring with details he had a blurry view of. He wondered why no pony ever asked, they had to of known, had to of seen the little alicorn.

“Father?” A familiar voice broke his fixated thoughts. He lifted his head to meet the voice.

“Hello Celestia. Is everything alright?”

“You tell me father...you don’t look okay.” Her eyes were on the verge of tears. Celestia had a strong empathic connection with other ponies emotions. It was strange because she shared so much in common with her mother, and her mother had a hard time gauging just how others felt around her. Empathy was a trait she shared with her father, it kept her sensitive. It’s why she was usually the filly Astrum and Morpheus kept a closer eye on. But in this protectiveness they had left Luna in a troubled state. She was unsure what to make of herself and how to talk to other ponies, her closest friend was her sister because of this.

“I’ve had a lot to think about Celes'...Like if I should punish you for running off for starters.”

“Punish me!?”

“One, you ran away. Two, you ran into the forbidden part of the forest.”

“It’s because I met him isn’t it?”

“Ye- I mean. No...you didn’t meet anypony.” He started to whisper.

“I heard his voice...What’s so bad about him?” Celestia wondered.

“Should I really tell a filly?” Morpheus thought. That alicorn wasn’t right, it wasn’t that he was different Morpheus could respect Pan’s 'uniqueness'. It was because whenever Morpheus thought of Pan a part of his gut felt bitter and cold. He wanted unspeakable things to happen to him. He felt that way when his eyes glanced on the sleeping colt years ago.

“I’m just protective over you dear. That pony in the forest...He’s not a kind one.”

“If he isn’t a kind pony...Then why is he so close to Canterlot? Do you see him as a threat to our subjects?”

“Aethere no, Celestia!” He remarked shocked and a bit impressed with her royal tone to the challenge she thought he faced. “He’s not a threat dear. He doesn’t want to hurt people. He just causes a lot of...-Of trouble. I wouldn’t want you to get caught up in his trouble. I’d rather you stayed more focus in your studies with magic and raising the sun that’s all.” Morpheus felt rather confident as his word corrected what seemed like a cold war,into that of a mean spirited nuisance. Which was how Morpheus fully realized Pan was, just a nuisance.

“Did I fail Equestria today,Daddy?” Celestia said in a shaky voice and if tears were not too far behind.

“No. You didn’t Celestia. You just slept in a bit late, Tomorrow is a new day.” He chuckled giving a joking wink.

“Mother wanted to see if you were alright. She sent me to find you by the way.”

“Oh did she now? You don’t want to talk to your father all by yourself?”

“Of course I do!-You just-you’re always busy....” Celestia admitted. Morpheus gave a soft sigh.

“I’m sorry Celestia. It really isn’t fair to you or your sister,me being busy so long. I’ll bring it up with your mother later,but for now....” He said while rising from his table in the private section of the mess hall. “I should resume my royal obligations. Wish me luck!” Morpheus added as he made his way out of the mess hall. Celestia looked around to the maids and palace workers all chatting and having a good time with themselves. The princess promised herself if she was ever to rule Equestria she would want not only want her palace helpers to be content as they were now, but she would not use a private room where only royalty ate.

With her father out of view she cantered over to one of the tables where a group or serfs were talking. The ponies themselves where earth ponies, but Celestia wasn’t biased of what type of pony she met. She gave a timid smile to the older helpers. “Hello there! Is the food good today?” She asked innocently. All of the ponies stopped their conversation, looking to her with such a stare it made the princess take a few steps back. But the youngest pony grunted a bit.

“For our food? It’s better than most days. I’m sure you wouldn’t know anything about commoner’s food. Would you, my grace?!” the mare’s voice gave a snobbish whine as he ended his answer. Celestia however didn’t understand what the mare was talking about,she turned her eyes to their food. It was the darkest of leaf greens with what she assumed was rose petals.

“Isn’t that a red rose and evergreen lettuce sandwich?-It is if not one of the most heartiest sandwiches our chef serves, it is most definitely one of the simplest meals he makes. All the ingredients are hoof grown, locally by Canterlot! I don’t understand why you are unhappy." She confessed, with a calm but authoritative tone.

“Princess,we didn’t plate this food for ourselves.”The annoyed mare replied.

“You..you didn’t? Then wh-”

“Your father gave us this food, as soon as your chef saw him trot in he was seated and given over ten plates of overflowing food. The uncanny part is his majesty did not eat nor sip a single serving of food the chef prepared."

“My father left without eating then?!” She gasped.

“Not exactly,princess. He asked us for our food...and in return gave us his. We shared the extra with anypony who was hungry.” He replied.

“I’m sorry for my earlier attitude then sir. What is your name,if I may ask?” Celestia blushed as she heard what happened before she got to the mess hall.

“It’s quite alright princess I’m sure I would have acted the same. My name is Sir Damson,princess.” He gave a smile to her as she acknowledged her mistake. it was a trait he saw little of in Canterlot.

“Thee Damson,of Theee Plum family?!”Celestia gave a gasp.

“Hush! Yes,yes...I’m the Damson.I’m trying not to attract attention though, from the usual Canterlot fair.” Damson gave a wink.

“You can understand wanting to be normal for a day or two,right?” He smiled nervously to her hoping she didn’t blow his cover.

“Not, personally sir....-vent.” she noticed a suspicious pony trot by the table trying their best to listen in.

“I’m ssshhhso-sorry to disturb ya then,ye gracccceee.” Damson gave an odd whistle and aged tone to play his role. He moved his head under his dirtied robe to hide his muzzle.

“ ‘Tis fine servant,carry on then.” Celestia said throwing her words in a haughty manner,then she pranced with her head almost staring to the ceiling as she walked out. She hoped her over dramatic exit put less suspicion on Sir Damson.

“OOHUF! Watch where you’re going!”
=====================================================================

The birds had been chirping louder then ever in the forest. They all tried their best to wake up their restless father. Little did they know he was awake, trying his hardest to stay in bed.

“My lord?”

“What is it Harrington?”

“I have told Luna.”

“I know you did, you are a part of me.” Pan sighed in aggravation.

“But..you told me to come straight to you as when I finished my task!”

“...I was hoping The princess would follow you...sweet Astrum I’m bored!” Pan grunted.

“Are you really bored?...or are you just unhappy you don’t know the princesses?”

“I’m not sure Harrington. I’m am certain that MY BIRDS ARE DRIVING ME NUTS.”-Pan roared, shifting his head into a lion’s. The birds fluttering away in fright.

“What do you suggest we do, Lord Pan?”

“Maybe Luna just needs a reason to forget her parent’s lessons....”The brown alicorn wondered out loud.

“But..how?” Harrington asked.

“Have you ever wanted to be something bigger Harrington?” Pan’s horn gave a dark green glow as he turned his head mischiefly at his little assistant.

“Lord....Pa-Pan! Think first my liege!”

=====================================================================

“Terribly sorry Ma’am!” Celestia hastily apologized.

“Ma’am?-..what are you doing sis?” a bemused Luna asked getting herself off the floor.

“Oh,uhhhh- Nothing follow me sis.” Celestia nudged at one of her sister’s forelegs.

“But I was on my way to get some food!” Luna whined.

“Com’n sis there’s no need to whine about it.” The white filly turned to where Damson was and took one of the extra sandwiches, floating it to her sister. “There, now come on and keep up!” Celestia giggled getting to a running gallop. Luna was falling behind pacing herself with her food and making sure her sister was in view. She wasn’t as good at telekinesis spells unlike her sister but she could keep the food by her side as she followed along. It looked like Celestia was going to their secret room, knowing this Luna’s speed quickened. When she caught up to sister Luna had finished the sandwich, Celestia closed the door then the two started giggling in the old water room.

=====================================================================

“There you are!”Astrum sighed as she caught up to him.

“What’s the rush dear?”

“It’s hard to explain and if I tell you, you’ll stare at me strangely. It’s best to just see it for your own eyes.”-She explained her hooves getting ready to gallop as she started to tell him. Morpheus gave her a bemused look. The two alicorns made it to the throne room, watching serfs and noble ponies scream in horror. “What could be so frightening!?” Morpheus thought. Then before his eyes he found his answer. A giant creature made of the stars themselves!

“It’s the same constellation that Luna made last night.” Astrum whispered to him.

“How are we going to play this through dear?” he asked.

“With fairness,and a calm attitude. It’s not hostile, just...sitting.”She replied.

“What did Luna call it again...Ursa..”

“Major, It’s Ursa major. It looks just like other ursa...maybe this is the mother?”

He wasn’t sure just what to make of the ursa sitting in the middle on their throne room. It’s back was arched, unable to move it had dozed off. “Hello, Mrs. Ursa?”

“Morpheus are you trying to get her angry!” Astrum stressed her whisper trying to convey her seriousness but still be quiet.

“I’m sorry dear, I’m not you know who-wait! Astrum you don’t think-”

“He wouldn’t! It would jeopardize his secrecy!”

“What if he’s tired of being a secret? What if Pan wants to be known?”

“Then this would be just the thing he would do...putting a space bear mother in the throne room.”

“How did even think her up, you don’t suppose he talked to Luna do you?”

“That’s a very good question. Where is Luna...”

“Where are our daughters!” They yelled in unison.

“Morpheus I’m going to search the castle for them”

“No. That is just what he wants! Pan wants to separate us, He’s always been able to talk to you more freely. We stick together.”

“This isn’t the time to dispute about Pan, our children could be-”

“Could be what? Most likely they are together because it’s impossible to keep them apart. They have each other’s company, they are safe. Remember Astrum. A calm and level head?”

Astrum gave a deep breath it was only natural for a mother to be protective of her young, and with her foals being alicorns it meant she had to be even more protective. “Alright dear,how should we handle this?”

“Like leaders, dear. Let’s get this Ursa out of the castle for starters” He said with a smile they connected their horns combining their magic to make a ribbon ,which wrapped around the bear. The ursa didn’t seem to mind too much although, she did give a low roar in shock as she lifted off of the marble floor. “We can’t let a star bear roam around the forests,Morpheus stated. “Why not? She hasn’t done any harm to us.”Astrum questioned.

“If she’s any bit protective of her young like you are,she’s a danger to the towns near the forest.”

“I guess the only logical thing to do, is to go to the pony that made her.”

“It seems we have to.” Morpheus sighed uneasy about the idea. He was trying his best to be a good leader, not forgetting how a poor a father and even worse stallion he felt he was for stopping his mare from finding her foals. Together the two flew to the forest.

Author's Note:

New chapters will be published every 3rd and 21st of each month and,
if you see any grammatical errors don't be afraid to post them!