• Published 29th Dec 2011
  • 1,715 Views, 42 Comments

Discordant ramblings - SteampunkBrony



philosophy of mine told by discord

  • ...
4
 42
 1,715

Music

Ah, hello again young one. It has been a while hasn't it? a few months at least. what kept you?

Ah, a marefriend hmm? good for you. So what's on your mind?

Music? interesting. Not often that topic is brought up to me. I have always loved music to be honest with you, it is utter chaos of sound that somehow creates a beautiful melody, i know they speak of harmony and all that but really when you think on it harmony is what the listener defines as such hmm?

It is amazing what music can do when played by someone who puts emotion into it. Music is the language of emotion if you ask me, and if you don't put your heart into it, it's not music. I've been to modern clubs and the popular music these days... no emotion.

However some of this new stuff, trance is one of the genres that i particularly like aside from dubstep for obvious reasons, does justice to that definition of music. Though the instruments are electromagical the sounds they can produce are just... magnificent.

When anyone turns an art form into a passion you can tell, from the scribbles of a child to the masterful brush strokes of Celestia's favorite painter, you can see that they put their heart into it, and really, anything can be an art.

I was observing a school the other day during their band class and i was sickened at music education these days though. The teacher seemed to think that there was only one right way to play a song, and when a talented young unicorn colt about your age decided to improvise a part that was, to be frank, rather dull, the old cow yelled at him to play the music as the composer wrote it. Do you ever go to a professional concert and hear everything note for note, beat for beat how it is written?

Of course not. Unless they are children these days the musicians always add their own flare, because that's what makes the music pop out, it makes the song really shine, and the fact that there is such a rigid curriculum on how to play a piece properly, well it saddens me to no end.

Oh? you've noticed it too? the endless stream of manure that the large corporations are pushing onto you while trampling new artists with talent that that doesn't fit their business plan?

It's sickening no?

However there are a few artists that have earned my respect, that DJ P0n-3 has been making waves in the popular music world with her style and blatant disregard for all of the established musical rules. It is these musicians who keep the spirit of music alive with new ideas and sounds.

After all, a painter who paints only what he is asked to without any personal flair to it may as well be a photocopier while a graffiti artist who puts his heart into covering a wall with his spray painted message only to have it erased within a few weeks is the true artist here.

It is these visionaries who really shape the world if they can, but unfortunately more and more of them are having the creativity, the spark of imagination, stomped out of them at an early age by mass media and peer pressure, and the schools themselves don't help much either. most of them are nothing more than brainwashing camps that politely force down the urge to create and turn a child's dreams into things that can only be achieved in their dreams.

High schools are the worst though, as you no doubt have noticed judging by that bruise beneath your coat there.

Yes, the modern high school, birthplace of the mainstream and the internment camps where the popular rule and those who don't fit in are either crushed or isolated so they can't spread their disease called creativity. A world full of friends who aren't and teachers who have the job of turning a young mind into an obedient slave for whatever company they end up working for by boring them with academical standards and forcing endless streams of boring bullshit down their throats.

And they wonder why the suicide rate is so high... I mean I'm surprised their hasn't been a riot over it. I know I'd finally snap one day and either kill myself, someone else, or break the system.

most likely the latter though because the two formers tend to lead to bad things happening.

Really? Just last week?

I didn't think they taught combat spells to minors any more, and yet if you are as resourceful as that colt must have been to splatter his class across the halls...

... I'm not trying to be insensitive but once you have seen a few wars you tend to be a touch numb to the whole murder thing my young friend, and back in my day wars were fought with spears, arrows, crossbow bolts and swords, not pies.

I have a feeling that things are going to change soon, have you noticed the murmurs of discontent, the resourceful group 'the unidentified' breaking into important places and making incriminating information public, the riots outside of equestria's borders?

There's a revolution starting my friend, and it is only a matter of time before somepony's head ends up in the overhead air circulator, and when it does, it's going to be a bloody mess for everyone in power as they try to fix a broken system with the same thinking that broke it in the first place...

Think on that until next time my friend, and try not to get too depressed in the meantime.

Comments ( 7 )

Damn, discords got some crazy points :applejackconfused:

Ps, first? but isn't this chapter like an hour old or so?

720126

i don't think that many people have noticed this one, it's one of my slower ones, and i only write chapters when i feel like ranting and no one else is around who would care enough to listen. most of this story is my philosophy on the world put into the FiM universe.

721525 Ah, okay then

Nice to see someone making these points, if you need inspiration from an antisocial outcast in life message me or whatever, keep up the good work.

920997

well, I've been called antisocial myself, but my usual response is as follows:

"I'm not antisocial, i just don't want to deal with your bullshit on a daily basis."

I don't think i've ever seen a teacher quite that pissed off at anyone since.

>>steampunkbrony

Didnt expect a reply that quick how nice of you and again good luck my lord

Due to mental issues I have over the years been kicked out of highschool 3 times arrested once and spent time in a mental health institute for the mentally ill, they found nothing wrong with me somehow and am now waiting to join the marines till a friend of mine can take all my shit from my home.

Best part is i want to go to college to be a psychologist so i can figure out for myself whats wrong with my head, been thinking about writing something on here but lack the motivation to put my ideas into text.
:twilightsheepish:
Managed all that without any drugs and only a little rum. (haha a little...)

Well i got to say I enjoy the ramble :eeyup:

And i think its quite interesting to see (or read) other peoples thoughts about sosiety (or school and music as in this text)

And I do hope there will be more :twilightblush:

Login or register to comment