• Published 23rd Nov 2023
  • 134 Views, 6 Comments

Ciderfest BOAS APP Stories: 86?! - Janicethelight

  • ...
 6
 134

PreviousChapters Next
65. #RollerDerby

Story
Searching for pages is exhausting work. You and Hoofwork decide it's time for a little break. While combing the streets for something to do on the break, you see an advertisement for a roller Derby. Hoofwork grins and asks, "What do you say? Wanna see a quick race?"

You shrug, and the both of you find your way to the Roller Derby arena. Ponies sit all around the arena, cheering for their favorite to win. You and Hoofwork scoot around to find your seats, ready to decide your own favorite skater.

"Mares and Gentle colts! Fillies and Colts of all ages. Are you ready for the Roller Derby?!"

The explosion of roaring that erupts from the crowd knocks you off your feet. Hoofwork laughs, helping you up. Two teams roll out. One is clad in all red and the other in purple. One member of each team has a star on their helmet showing who the leader is. You hear pony's hooting and hollering, "Go Manglers!" Or "Beat them, Pharacturers!"

The teams start skating, immediately bumping into one another to slow down the competition. "That's another point for the Manehatten Manglers!" The announcer informs you as you watch the chaos down below as the skaters race around and around the circle, passing blockers from the other team when they can.

After watching for a bit, you notice a pink pony that looks somewhat familiar with her colorful tail. It isn't until you hear, "And just like that, Princess Skullestia is past Starswirl and coming up on Shining Hammer!" that it hits you like the Friendship Express.

"Princess Cadence?!" you shout, shocked as Shining Hammer gets blocked.

Hoofwork looks down as the Manglers win, squinting before gasping. "I think you're right but…why…how…?!"

"Let's find out!" you murmur, going down where the skaters sign autographs for their fans.

"Who should I make this out to?" Cadence asks when you get up to her, still decked in her skater gear.

"Princess Cadence, I didn't know you could skate!" Hoofwork notes.

Cadence blushes. "Oh. Um. It's just. It's just Cadence now."

"What do you mean, just Cadence?" You wonder.

Cadence sighs, shouting so the rest of her fans can hear. "Shining Hammer will be back in just five minutes!" She then whispers to you, "Please, follow me."

She takes you both backstage away from the crowds and takes a breath. "I know it sounds silly, but, before I was the princess of love, I was just a pegasus of a small town. I will never regret the life I had, but after Flurry grew up, the castle was lonely. Shining has his guard to mess with, but the closest to friend group I have is any Tia, Luna, and Twilight. Plus. The crystal guards won't let me go anywhere without them since Sombra got in last time. I haven't really had any excitement in some time." She gives an exasperated, discontented sigh. Then she nods and continues, "So, when I found this magic page in my throne one day, I thought about something I haven't been able to do since before I became an alicorn. At first, I was only planning to change things for a few games, but I am having so much fun here. Nopony looks at me like just another princess or some ruler, just another part of the team. Honestly, I'm starting to wonder if I should go back at all! What do you guys think I should do?"

[CHOICE] What should Cadence do?
> Stick with the Pharacturers skating team! (Chaos)
> Go back to the Crystal Empire! (Hero)

[ENDING A: CHAOS]
"You should stay with the Pharacturers!" you decide.

"Yeah. I think I should too. We got really close to the championship! We just need a little more practice, we can do it next year!"

"Shining Hammer, come on! Your audience awaits!" One of Cadence's teammates waves her over.

"Oh. Sorry, I forgot to give you two your autographs! Here you are!" Cadence signs two photos of herself in her gear with her new signature name: Shining Hammer.

You and Hoofwork decide to go to other shows, rooting for Shining Hammer as she bashes into other skaters. Cadence looks back at her latest victim, grinning broadly, and you feel like this is one of the few times you get to see her real, true smile just before she's slammed into the wall by another skater. Even when she stumbles to the first aid tent to make sure she didn't get hurt, she does so beaming.

(+1 page for Chaos)

[ENDING B: HERO]
"You should go back to the Crystal Empire," you decide.

"Yeah. I mean, seeing you skate around and slam into other ponies was really cool, don't get us wrong, but….if you changed yourself, what happens with Shining Armor or Flurry Heart?"

"Does Flurry even exist?!" you wonder.

Cadence freezes. Her eyes slowly widen in shock, "I haven't seen them around since I started skating. I just thought Shining had his hooves full taking care of the Crystal Empire. Wait. The Crystal ponies. Do you think Sombra still has them in his hold?"

"I doubt it. Everypony here seems pretty chill." Hoofwork shrugs. "My guess is Celestia and Luna went to help in your sted."

Cadence sits down, her wheels stoll rolling from the movement. She let's a big breath out slowly. "I…I did not think this through."

"Are you okay?" Hoofwork asks. "Seems to me you are having trouble finding where you belong. Maybe, when you return things, you can have Shining give a talk to your guards and loosen them up so you can go out. Who knows, maybe you could still do this every so often."

Cadence nods. "I…I'd like that." She takes out the glowing page, allowing the orange glow to consume all around you all. When you open your eyes, you see the Crystal Empire. Cadence looks up to the castle and breaths, "Let's …Let's keep this little adventure between us, huh."

She then walks up to the castle with her head held high.

(+1 page for Heroes)

Author's Note:

I got this idea from a single panel on a friend's forever comic where they show Cadence on the edge, skating. It was a great gag. She even had a name to go with her sudden change in profession.

PreviousChapters Next