• Published 13th Oct 2022
  • 589 Views, 9 Comments

You'll Sing "Vita Bella" - kleia



Alphabittle had always considered himself a romantic at heart, but has never actually romanced anypony. That is, until Queen Haven came along...

  • ...
1
 9
 589

Ch 2: Magic Moments

Alphabittle groaned as he awoke. He wasn't complaining that it was morning, he was complaining that he'd have to leave Queen Haven sooner or later. He was thrilled to walk home as far as he could with her, but his ears flopped against his head at the thought that they would have to part.

Alphabittle looked at himself in the mirror he stood in front of, toothbrush still in mouth. His mane was a complete mess, well, messier then it usually is. He sighed. He couldn't stall forever. He brushed out his mane, finished up his teeth and got his saddle bags ready, packing away the belongings he had. He made his way to his door and hesitated, looking back at the room he was staying in at the Brighthouse. He'd miss this place, that's for sure.

He stepped out into the hallway, not noticing Queen Haven at first.

"Oof!" Haven said, falling to her rump. She spread her wings in a dramatic manner with a pout. Alphabittle chuckled lightly, holding out a hoof.

"Sorry! I need to look where I'm going," he said to her, winking. Queen Haven blushed, taking his hoof, offering him a smile.

"Oh, it's alright. Thank you," she started, standing and brushing herself off. "We're still walking together?" she asked, her head in a tilt. Alphabittle nodded.

"Wouldn't have it any other way," he said, letting another cheeky wink sneak in. Haven giggled, accompanying him to the kitchen, where Sunny was busy preparing everypony breakfast.

"Good morning!" Sunny said with cheer, flipping pancakes. Alphabittle and Haven settled at the table, Alphabittle levitating their bags off of them and onto a chair nearby. "Thank you both so much for helping us rebuild Maretime bay," Sunny said, placing plates of fresh, warm pancakes down on the table. "This is the least I can do to say thank you. Give you something filling before your long journey's home." Sunny continued, smiling brightly at the two.

"It was -" both Alphabittle and Haven had begun speaking. They looked at each other, a blush on their cheeks.

"Please, you first," Alphabittle said, gesturing and clearing his throat.

"No no, you were going to say something," Haven answered, a light blush on her cheeks, a cheeky smile plastered on her face.

"I insist, your majesty," Alphabittle said in reply, his tone teasing. Haven rolled her eyes, her smile still evident.

"Fine Fine!" Haven started, glancing at Alphabittle equally as teasing. "It was the least we could do, my dear. I... I feel partially responsible for what happened... If we had just..." she trailed off, her ears flopped against her head, she looked away from them, her eyes distant. Her face was contorted into a sad one.

"If we had just tried to be friends," Alphabittle continued for her. "We all feel responsible. But putting that picture frame back together was the first step..." he said, placing a comforting hoof on the Queen's shoulder. She looked up at him and smiled gently, her ears lifting back up.

"Please don't feel like you were partially responsible," Sunny said, both ponies turning their heads towards her. Sunny's tone was a little sad. "I do appreciate everything you've done. But what matters to me is that we're all working to be friends," Sunny said, glancing between the two. Alphabittle and Haven looked to each other and to Sunny.

"I suppose you're right," Alphabittle said, a hint of sheepishness in his tone, taking bites of his pancakes.

"I agree with Alphabittle," Haven added, giving Sunny a smile. "In the end, ponykind is brought together," she continued, looking between them. An earth pony, a unicorn and a pegasus, sitting together enjoying breakfast in the same space. Haven's eyes lingered on Alphabittle. Were he and Sunny talking? She couldn't tell, Alphabittle was just so handsome. Haven shook her head.

"Well, you ready to go?" Alphabittle met Haven's eyes. Haven nodded, wiping off her mouth with a napkin. "Thank you for breakfast Sunny, we had better get going." Alphabittle gave Sunny a wave, levitating his and Haven's saddlebags onto their respective owners.

"Get home safe, okay? You two both have a long way to go," Sunny said, offering a sad smile. The two nodded, heading toward the door. Haven gave Sunny a smile and wave, giving Alphabittle a grateful nod. The door opened and closed, and Sunny was left alone.

Alphabittle drew in a breath, his chest puffing outward, straining the straps of his saddle bag. He looked up at the sky, Haven following his eyes. There were a few clouds, but otherwise, it was a wonderful, beautiful, sunny day. Haven smiled, taking in the fresh morning air.

"Shall we?" she asked, her eyes bright, fluffing her wings at her sides. Alphabittle nodded.

"We shall," he said, teasing lightly, a wide grin on his face. Haven rolled her eyes. Alphabittle chuckled, a light rose tint to his cheeks. He looked between her and the road, a wicked idea coming to mind.

"Bet I can beat you to the dirt road!" he said playfully, bowing down like a puppy wanting to play, rear in the air. Haven let out a chortle. She'd work on that laugh later.

"You're on!" she replied snidely, galloping off.

"Hey!" Alphabittle said, running off after her, a coltish grin spread across his face.

The two galloped through town, shouting various versions of "Excuse me!" to townsfolk as they raced. They made leaps and bounds, curving their bodies articulately around ponies, objects, each other. Both were pretty fast, but with a flap of her wings, Haven had closed the gap between her and the dirt road that led out of Maretime Bay. With a pout on his face, Alphabittle closed the distance.

"What?" Haven teased, knowing full well she cheated. She knew Alphabittle loved games, but surely he'd make an exception for somepony like her. Alphabittle huffed.

"Wings are cheating, miss Ma'am," he pouted, eyeing her. He couldn't hold his stern, grump face for long, though. She had those innocent doe eyes. Before long, he snorted and chuckled, before breaking into complete guffaws.

Haven found herself laughing along with him. This time, the laugh was just right - she'd have to take note of that. She wiped a tear and looked at him, her smile genuine and so big, her eyes were just squints. Alphabittle smiled brightly back, nodding his head in the direction of the road.

"Let's get goin' , yea?" he said, turning to go. Haven took a few jump steps to catch up to his side, and they were on their way.


Hours had passed, Haven and Alphabittle were far from Maretime Bay, and had made it to a beautiful, rolling field. In its center was a singular, luminescent tree. The sky had been significantly more overcast, but it kept the air cool.

"Wanna take a break?" Alphabittle asked, slowing his pace. Haven was about to answer when a sudden clap of thunder roared, causing Haven to yelp in fear as rain started to pour down from the sky. Haven panicked even more when rain began to fall, sprinting to the tree in the center of the field. Alphabittle chased after her, having significant trouble keeping up. She was a mare on the move.

It wasn't long before they made it beneath the shelter of the tree, both huffing. Both caught their breath before speaking.

"I guess that break is mandatory," Haven started, blowing a piece of mane out of her face. "Ugh! A Queen can't be seen with a soggy mane!" she complained, sitting down with a huff. Alphabittle stifled a chuckle.

"Why is that, your majesty?" he teased gently.

"Because! I am a Queen!" Haven spoke with dramatic flair, and moved herself in a poised, but dramatic manner, huffing and puffing. Another stifled chuckle from Alphabittle.

"And what are you laughing at!" Haven raised a hoof dramatically, pointing it towards Alphabittle. He couldn't hold it in. He fell to the ground laughing, his sides aching. When he opened his eyes again after he had settled down, Haven was glaring bullets at him. If this were a graphic fanfiction, he'd be shot dead. He drew in a few deep breaths, calming himself down.

"Sorry," he started, offering her a genuine smile. "I promise I'm not laughing at you. I love how dramatic you are, I'm sorry if it felt I was laughing at you being distressed over your hair. If it means anything, I think your mane looks wonderful any way you style it." he offered the compliment on a golden platter, winking to add that cherry on top. Immediately Haven's face softened, she looked down at the ground blushing.

"You mean that?" she started, her eyes still peering at the ground. Alphabittle would swear she was peering beyond it.

"I do," he said quietly. Haven blushed a brighter red.

"Growing up, I wanted to be an actress..." Haven started, still gazing at the ground. "It was a silly dream of course. Starting out, would you believe I didn't want to be Queen?" she lifted her gaze from the ground, and met eyes with Alphabittle. He never would have believed it.

"No, I wouldn't have believed it," he said, shaking his head lightly. Haven chuckled, a small smile turning her lips upward.

"Well, for many, many years I didn't want to be Queen. But then, our kingdom hung in the balance. Mother had fallen ill, and what she had? Father had to leave and find the cure himself. I was left alone. I had no choice but to step up." she said, her face lowering with a sad expression. "Mother got better, as father made it back with the ice iris, but I learned an incredibly valuable lesson..." she paused. "Tell me, Alphabittle. Say your path was one you had to walk. If given the opportunity, would you choose a different one?" she looked at Alphabittle inquisitively, but there was sorrow in her eyes. Alphabittle shuffled closer to the mare, shivering lightly as a cold breeze came through, pelting him with rain. He thought for a moment.

"That's a tough one, Haven. Depends on the path you're meant to walk, and a possible new path. Your ponies need you. That's not to say that 'mine' don't," he made air quotes around the word 'mine'. " But I'm no king or prince. I'm sorry I can't give you a more fulfilling answer..." he said, putting a hoof on Haven's shoulder. Haven placed a hoof overtop his, leaning onto him.

"It's okay. I appreciate you humoring me," she said quietly, feeling his warmth on her side. Haven put a wing around the larger stallion, taking in his scent. He smelled of the forest and rain. For Alphabittle, she smelled of tulips and peonies. Like yesterday, Alphabittle placed his head on top of hers. It was raining kirins and dragons. They'd be here a while.


The rain had cleared up into a light drizzle after about an hour. They talked and told stories from when they grew up, sharing tender moments, heartfelt laughs, and various thoughts in the rain. They pressed together to keep warm while the rain pelted down, but it was significantly slower now.

"The rain's stopping, wanna keep going?" Alphabittle asked lightly, waiting to get up.

"You promise you'll like my mane, even if it gets a little soggy?" Haven asked her counter question. Alphabittle nodded.

"Of course I will,"

"Then yes, let's"

The two stood up and made their way back to the path, Haven holding a wing over her head, a look of general discomfort on her face. It was still barely raining, but Alphabittle humored her anyway. From his saddlebag, he levitated a newspaper from Maretime Bay, and held it over her head while they walked.

After a short moment, the rain had stopped completely, and he put his newspaper away as the sun's rays shone through holes in the clouds. The leftover, small raindrops leftover on Haven's mane sparkled in the sunlight, making her all the more beautiful. Alphabittle didn't even realize he was staring, until Haven stopped at a fork in the road. Alphabittle was quick to pull his eyes away before she noticed.

Not far off from one the forks was the entrance to Bridlewood. A few signs warning to keep away still stood, but there were far less than a few weeks ago. Alphabittle would take 'em down and make a more welcoming sign later. He looked between his town's entrance and the pegasus who had disrupted the entire course of his life.

"...This is me," Alphabittle said after a pause. His tone was downtrodden and sad, his face mirroring his tone.

"What's the matter, my friend?" Haven asked, genuine concern could be heard in her voice. Alphabittle met her eyes.

"I've just enjoyed my time with you so much," he forced out after a pause. "I guess I'm just sad it's coming to an end," he spoke earnestly. Haven walked closer to him, placing her front legs around him. Alphabittle's eyes widened before he accepted the embrace and put his own legs around her.

"Alphabittle, you will always have a friend in me. If you need anything, you can contact me. Even if you just want to spend time together. I will always have time for you," Haven pulled away from the hug, giving Alphabittle a look that told him she meant it. Plus, her assistant was already aware of putting "Alphabittle Time" on her schedule. Alphabittle found himself giddy like a foal, and had to contain himself. His cheeks were a bright red, and he was completely and totally dumbfounded. He had plenty of friends, sure, but none treated him this way. Haven made him feel... important, needed. It took him a moment, but he found his words.

"I - Thank you, Haven. You'll always have a friend in me too, and I'll always have time for you," he spoke softly, their foreheads touching together.

"I'm glad," Haven said quietly. "It's been a while for us both, hasn't it?" Alphabittle only nodded.

"I... suppose I should get going. I don't want to keep you from your kingdom longer then needed." Alphabittle said, getting back on his hooves, helping Haven as he did.

"And I won't keep you from your home either," Haven said. You'd swear you could hear their hearts breaking. "I promise we'll see each other again. I'll call you," she said, giving Alphabittle one last hug. Alphabittle smiled and started to go.

"See you later, Haven," Alphabittle waved to the Queen, making his way into the depths of Bridlewood's forest. Haven watched him until she could see him no longer, spreading her wings and flying the rest of the way home.


Alphabittle stood at his bar in the back of his tea shop, ears flopped against his head, cleaning it absentmindedly. She said she'd call! His phone was nearby, and his heart raced every notification he got. None were from Haven. Was she just humoring him? "Alphabittle!"

"Alphabittle!" a louder voice shook him from his thoughts. A unicorn was sat on the other side of the bar.

"Sorry, lost in thought there. What can I do for you?" Alphabittle looked to the unicorn.

"Oolong, please," the unicorn stated. Alphabittle nodded and got right to work, turning on the kettle and preparing a tea cup. "You okay, dude?" the unicorn pressed. Alphabittle let the question swirl around in his mind, grabbing the kettle as it whistled. He levitated a tea infuser and scooped in oolong tea leaves, placing it inside the kettle. He floated the kettle and the tea cup over to the unicorn that sat across from him. The silence was pregnant, but finally, Alphabittle broke it.

"I've... had better days," Alphabittle broke the silence.

"You wanna talk about it?" the unicorn asked.

"Isn't this role usually reversed?" Alphabittle stated inquisitively. The unicorn smiled, laughing lightly.

"Usually, yes. But you deserve to be heard too, don't you?" they replied, pouring their tea. They took a sip, fanning their mouth. Alphabittle observed the unicorn, wondering why they wanted to listen to him. It wasn't important. It did mean something to him that this stranger wanted to hear him out.

"To say the least... I think I like a mare," Alphbittle watched the unicorn's reaction. There was none, they just sipped their tea and listened. " She said she'd contact me, but she hasn't. Should I contact her? I don't want to seem desperate. Ugh!" Alphabittle had grown frustrated. "I... I think I just feel led on. We're close, but? She'd have contacted me by now, wouldn't she? It's been almost two weeks..." Alphabittle spewed out his heart and his feelings, but felt a weight lifted from his chest. It felt good to just... vent to a stranger. Is this how other ponies felt about him? He watched the unicorn. They sipped their tea and listened.

"It sounds like you really like her," they began speaking after another sip of tea. "Mares can be like that. Fickle. Maybe you should contact her?" they suggested, taking another deep sip of their tea.

"I guess you're right," Alphabittle replied. "I will reach out to her. Thank you." he said earnestly. "Your tea's on the house as a thank you," he added, offering the unicorn a smile. They smiled back.

"Glad to be of help...Your phone's buzzing, by the way," they said, finishing off their kettle of tea.

Alphabittle picked up his phone.

It was an incoming call from Haven.

Author's Note:

Today's chapter title is a reference to "Magic Moments" by Perry Como.
Also, if you couldn't tell, I love 40's and 50's artists. I was raised by my grandparents, so some of my music tastes are... a little dated.

Anyway, I don't really have a set schedule for chapter release. I have muse now, sure, but I'm also not sure when that muse will go away. It comes and goes in waves, and I'd rather write quality over quantity, you know? What I'm trying to say is, I will update this fic as I have the muse, time and inspiration. I would rather this be well written then half baked. Thank you for understanding.

Thank you to Schwabauer for prereading/editing this chapter!
As always, feedback is welcome so long as its constructive. If you like this story, please consider giving me a follow and adding it to your tracking tab!

Comments ( 3 )
Comment posted by littleman001 deleted Oct 16th, 2022

Well I would say this is a pretty nice chapter so it looks like Queen Haven and Alphabittle ready to hit the road thinking Sunny to stay with them and now they're heading back home but also talking to each other was pretty nice but they were pretty sad to see each other split apart and they already miss each other so much Alphabittle even got a phone just to wait for her call and it looks like she's getting a call right now I wonder what they're going to talk about guess we'll find out next time

I need more alphahaven stuff!!! This is so cuteee

Login or register to comment