• Published 21st Jul 2022
  • 134 Views, 2 Comments

I See It Now - BrushyBill1881



A Big Mac Story: Inspired by the song "I See It Now" by Tracy Lawrence, released 1994.

  • ...
 2
 134

It's Been A While

After a long week of work, Big Mac found it nice to go out to Ponyville's local bar, the Wild Horse, on Friday nights. Of course the work of a farmer is never done and he had work to do tomorrow, but this was at least a small reprieve. It was a simple place, a small bar built to resemble an old barn. I had big doors that let into the bar. On the inside was a typical bar that wrapped around the right half of the building. On the other side was booths and tables for ponies just looking to sit and chill. Right in the middle was a wooden floored dance floor, perfect for the country music that was played in the bar.

Big Mac strolled in and up to the bar. Friday night was the busiest time for the Wild Horse and the dance floor was packed. The bar tender walked up to Big Mac.

"Well, hello Big Mac, what'll it be tonight?" She was a light green color with a dirty blond mane.

"Howdy Mint Julep, an old fashioned and a cider." Big Mac smiled.

"How predictable, you get that every week." Mint Julep went to make his order. Big Mac looked towards the dance floor. The music was upbeat and fast, sounded like a three step. It made the floor a jumbled mess of hooves and laughter. Out of the corner of his eye, the large stallion caught a glimpse of a dark pink coat. He quickly turned his head but the group of dancers moved before he could see anything. Big mac shook his head and looked back to the bar. Mint Julep walked up with a glass for his old fashioned and his bottle of cider.

"Here you are Big Mac. That'll be 8 bits." Big Mac placed the bits on the bar and took the drinks. He navigated his way around the dance floor and came to a small round table with a stool. This was his usual Friday night spot. From here he could easily access the bar, and pony watch. Big Mac never danced, just observed. He took a sip from his bottle of cider and settled in for his pony watching. The Apple family pretty much knew everyone in Ponyville due to their dealings with them all, but the bar was a different place. Here all ponies left there worries for the night and just were themselves. On several occasions, Big Mac had seen high profile ponies here, the Mayor, Filthy Rich, even the Princess of Friendship. Tonight was just the usual crowd, no one of note worthiness. Big Mac took a sip of his old fashioned and continued to look to the dance floor. Through the glass he saw a distorted shape of the pink coat again. He quickly put down his drink but yet again saw nothing.

"Easy Big Mac," he sighed, "No need for that tonight." But before he could calm his nerves again he finally saw her. There she was plain as day, Cheerilee, Ponyvilles school teacher. Big Mac stared at her for a second before she once again disappeared into the crowd of ponies. Memories rushed back from a few months ago. It was Hearts and Hooves day, his sister and her friends tried to set him up with Cheerilee. Turned it a major fiasco with love potions, rings, weddings dress, and a bunch of things he couldn't really remember. Once they were back to normal, the two tried to enter a relationship, but it didn't go well. Both were to busy with their work and when the could spend time together they were too tired to do anything. Big Mac did think Cheerilee was amazing and beautiful, it hurt for it not to work out, and it left him feeling a little empty.

The music changed and became a slow waltz. Ponies cleared the floor leaving it for just the couples. As the ponies shuffled around, Big Mac looked for Cheerilee, hoping he could wave her down. He spotted her and raised his hove for a second until he saw she wasn't leaving the dance floor. She was dancing with a tall blue stallion, Toe Tapper. Big Mac knew him, they were in the Pony Tones together. He took a sip of his drink and watched the couple dance. Something was different about Cheerilee. She had a look in her eyes as she held onto Toe Tapper close. The more he watched she seemed to float as she dance. Big Mac couldn't help but stare. She looked beautiful. The music ended as Big Mac finished his old fashioned. The music changed again going to more of two step and ponies went back to dancing. Big Mac got up and left the bar, looking back one more time, but unable to see Cheerilee. "I best be getting back. I've got a delivery tomorrow." He made his way back to the farm, his mind still on his failed romance.

The Next Morning

Big Mac was loading his wagon with barrels of Apples.

"All set for your delivery to Starlight's old village?" Applejack asked "You remember the directions I gave you?"

"Yup."

"And you remember who ya deliverin to?"

"Yup." Big Mac hitched himself up.

"Well have a safe trip. We'll see ya tonight." Applejack waved as Big Mac strolled his way down the path. He was just about leave town when he saw somepony walking towards him. It was Cheerilee. Big Mac began to panic and look for a quick exit, but with the wagon he didn't have any options. They eventually met on the path.

"Well, hello Big Mac." She smiled.

"Hello, Miss Cheerilee. It's good to see you again...it's been a while" He smiled back.

"Yes it has...H-How are you doing?"

"I am getting by." They stood there awkwardly for a second before Cheerilee spoke up.

"I saw you at the Wild Horse last night." Big Mac stared at her for a second before responding.

"I saw you too...With Toe Tapper." She knodded. After another pause Big Mac spoke up. "You looked good with him. It seems he's found a fire in you, I didn't see it...but I can see it now." Cheerilee stared at Big Mac, shocked at his words. "I never saw that look in your eyes, and I never had you hold me that tight. I never saw you dance with your feet off the ground, but I see it now."

"Yeah, he's really helped me get out. He's...he's great." she smiled, and Big Mac smiled back.

"Holding him you never looked so beautiful. Since us, letting go has been hard on me. And sitting there last night it's clear to see what he means to you. The way you look at him it ain't no mystery. He is all I couldn't be."

"Oh Big Mac."

"But...I think it helped. Seeing you happy, means that I can too. You were able to move on. I guess it's time I do too." He smiled. Cheerilee walked up to Big Mac and hugged him tight.

"I'm glad I could help." She released him. "Have a good trip." She walked away. Big Mac walked away feeling relieved. He was ready to move on. Little did he know, that waiting for him in that small village, was the one for him.

-The End

Author's Note:

Hello Y'all,
I hope you enjoy this one shot short story. A little simple but I think it turned out well. I related a lot to Big Mac when I was younger so he's still one of my favorite characters. I can see myself writing a lot more like this one. Fun little fact, to those who know it, I voiced Big Mac in episode 10 of the YouTube audio drama Bride of Discord. Written by the talented DisneyFanatic23.
Thanks to all who read!
-Brushy Bill

Comments ( 2 )

This was a cute little story. A comfy premise that didn't drag on too long (though at the same time, it could have standed to be a tiny bit slower towards the end). It's always nice to see Big Mac get some character moments; my only complaint about that might be that we didn't see enough detail, but that's not that big of a deal.

11323486
Thank you friend! This little story here didn't get much attention so it's nice to see someone who enjoyed! Thanks for the constructive criticism. I'll keep that in mind for future stories. I'm glad you liked it!
-Brushy Bill

Login or register to comment