• Published 20th Nov 2021
  • 2,449 Views, 857 Comments

Star Wars: The Great War - ShootingStar25



You've heard it time and time again. The Force surrounds us and binds the galaxy together. Well, that hits both hard and true. The time for survival is now and may the Force guide us to a better tomorrow.

  • ...
1
 857
 2,449

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 67: A Thing of Beauty

"You sure this is a good idea?" Storm asked as he used his powers to push a cart into place.

"Totally! I've done this a hundred times before!" said Spike as he got on the cart and put on a helmet.

The young prince was on the cart. The cart was teetering over a steep hill along the path, with some rocks and obstacles that Spike was going to dodge while guiding the small cart. The boy had wanted to do this for quite a while, but he never got close due to his mother's strict rules, and he was not strong enough to roll the cart himself. But with Storm present, Spike had a way.

"Again, kid, you sure your parents are okay with this?" asked Storm as he could tell this didn't seem like a good idea.

"I told you, it's fine," lied Spike as he put on some elbow and knee pads. "By the way, I've been meaning to ask you something? The Force. What does it feel like?"

Storm was trying to figure out how to respond to the question in a way a six-year-old could understand.

"Let me ask you, have you ever been afraid of the dark? How does it feel when you turn on the light?" asked Storm.

"I feel safe," said Spike.

"Yes, it feels like that," responded the Jedi Knight, as that was the best way he could explain it to the kid.

"Cool, anyways, give me a push!" said Spike as he straddled himself.

Storm put a finger on the cart as it began to move. Just that alone was enough as Spike was about to go down the hill.

"SPIKE!!!!" shouted a voice.

The cart suddenly lifted into the air. The young prince then came face to face with Twilight as the princess had an angry look.

"Heh, Twilight," chuckled the boy as his shirt held him due to Twilight's force powers.

The girl wouldn't let the innocent act work as she glared even more. The boy was sweating hard, now afraid of his big sister. The princess began to walk as she held her brother in her grip. Storm shrugged as he followed them back to the castle.

The pair made it back as the gates opened and showed Velvet waiting for them.

"Hey, mom," said Spike in a bit of a scared tone.

"Don't you 'hey, mom' me, Mister!" shouted Velvet to her youngest child.

Twilight dropped her little brother in front of her as he flopped onto the marble floor. Spike picked himself up and tried his best to avoid his mother's wrath. Velvet didn't give her son a chance.

"Ow, ow, ow!" said Spike, as he was being dragged away by the Queen, who pulled his ear.

"Seems I've got to add "make sure that my brother doesn't do anything stupid" to my list of burdens," sighed Twilight as she turned to look at Storm.

"Well, that's hoping he learns to grow up," said Storm.

Twilight sighed as she approached the boy and hugged him. The stress that Spike caused her was being taken away in an instant just by being in her partner's presence. Storm knew when Twilight was stressed or when she needed to be comforted from all the time he'd spent with her. The Jedi Knight also knew the proper response to when the princess did this as he put his arms around the girl and made sure his arms were up high and nowhere any lower than her back.

"Thanks, I needed that," said the girl as she broke the embrace and smiled at her partner.

The teens then began to walk near the gardens. Some servants tended to the flowers and shrubbery as the princess passed. Some gave a few waves as the girl returned the gesture. Twilight then brought Storm over to a nearby tree in the gardens as a piece of lumber was held by a pair of chains on both ends. The girl sat down on the swing and instructed the boy to push her. Storm didn't question much as he did what Twilight asked of him as he began to push the girl; she began to smile and laugh.

Soon the boy also began to smile as the happiness on the princess' face tugged at his heartstrings. The swing stopped as Storm grabbed one of the chains holding it and placed his hand on top of Twilight's hand. The thing then spun in place as both teens stared into each other's eyes. Both teens did not notice how close their faces were to each other as they looked into each other's orbs. The princess stood up as her body acted on its own. The two Jedi Knights continued to stare and smile as Twilight embraced Storm again, closing her eyes and burying her neck into his chest. The boy placed his chin on her head with his left arm around her while his right rubbed her hair to stimulate some pleasure for the princess.

After that intimate moment, the pair headed back to the castle. They were in the courtyard when Shining Armor and one of the Chamberlains of the castle were shown walking next to him.

"This portrait of Ms. Cadance, while beautiful, I am sure, cost the kingdom... well, I cannot even say it," said the Chamberlain to Shining Armor.

"Can one really put a price on beauty, Chamberlain?" asked Shining Armor.

"Apparently, the artist can, your highness," said the man to the prince based on the amount of money they would have to pay.

"Now. Now, remember, this is for the Gala, where everyone will learn of the engagement that Cadance and I will fulfill between the two kingdoms. Plus, I'm certain we'll still have plenty of money left for the grand unveiling." said Shining Armor.

"G-Grand unveiling?!!!" said the Chamberlain as he was shocked to hear that.

"But of course, we must unveil it for the whole court before it's presented for the public to see at the Gala. By accepting the marriage agreement, Cadance will be a part of this family. And as such, I will not rest until I see her portrait hanging next to my family. Even as a kid, I've always considered her part of us. And now, I want to show her how much I care about her and how seriously I take our relationship and her. I truly love her with all my heart." said Shining Armor.

"Besides, nothing much. Just a little music, and festivities, are all. No rush. Tomorrow will be fine." smiled Shining Armor as he began to walk away.

The Chamberlain wrote all that down as he sighed at how much work he needed to due by the deadline.

"Planning a party?" said Twilight to the Chamberlain.

"It would seem so, princess. A painting, a party, and a very large headache. Lucky me. Whatever could be next?" said the Chamberlain as he could already feel the stress.

"Well, since you asked, might I ask for a small home to be built for Sonar in my room. I'd figured he might need a place to rest after his hunts at night," said Storm as the Chamberlain wrote that down and walked away.

"Storm," said Twilight as she crossed her arms and glared at her partner for giving more work to one of her servants.

"What?" said the boy with a smug smile.


Twilight and Storm were in the throne room sometime later as Night Light had requested both of the Jedi before him. The meeting was short as the King had them that the guards would protect the painting and that the boy was also to do the same. It was a bit of a surprise for Twilight; as for Storm, it was simple guard duty with which he'd have plenty of experience. He was to protect the portrait of Cadance before the grand unveiling tomorrow.

"Do you hear me, Jedi Knight? Your job is to make sure nothing happens to the painting. Do you understand?" stated Night Light with a stern tone.

"Yes, your Majesty," replied Storm with a bow.

"Uh, dad, while I have your attention. I was thinking of something," said Twilight.

"Of course, what does my little princess want?" asked Night Light as he was glad to hear what his daughter had to say.

"Dad, I'm not little anymore," said Twilight as she was turning red at being called that, especially cause Storm was present as he was trying hard not to laugh. "Anyways, I was thinking, since Shining wants a big extravaganza for this unveiling. I think I might have something that can contribute."

"What do you propose, my precious little sparkle?" smiled Night Light.

"DAD!!!" said Twilight as she didn't like being called all these nicknames her father gave her, especially with her partner standing next to her as she feared he might start saying them and it could have a different effect on her.

"I was thinking I can be able to have TS-01 pulled off some acrobatic display using my ship. I've been meaning to test out some new tricks, and well..."

"It's a marvelous idea, my little sparkle," said Night Light as he was already agreed to his daughter's proposal.

"It is?!" responded Twilight bluntly, not expecting her father to agree to her idea without a second thought.

"Yes, sweetie. Just the sort of grand finale that your brother will appreciate." added Velvet.

"And completely free, I might add!" said the Chamberlain, as that was the part he was most glad about. "Thrifting thinking, your highness. Well done, princess. With that kind of initiative, Equis will thrive when you become Queen."

"Heh, right... when... I become Queen," muttered Twilight as she looked away. The girl clutched her arm as she thought about the duty she had to fulfill for the entire sake of her planet.

With his task assigned, the two teens left the throne room. The girl wished her partner luck when it would be time for his shift.

"Hurry up, Dash. I need to get to the throne room to take my shift guarding the portrait!" said Storm to the girl as sundown was starting to loom over the kingdom.

"Chill, Jedi. It's not like the painting is going to walk away."

"I'm a Jedi; when I'm given a task, I'm expected to complete it and show up on time," responded the Jedi Knight to the captain.

"Gees, you're starting to sound like the egghead. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if that's why she's always coming to you for answers. Gees, it makes me wonder how things will be if you decide to get inside the princess' pus--"

"You better not say what I think you're gonna say!" yelled Storm.

"I was gonna say, 'private chamber.'"

"Yeah, sure you were. Get your mind out of the gutter," scoffed Storm as he didn't buy Rainbow's lie. "Now hurry up!"

After splitting from Twilight, the Jedi Knight met up with the pilot. They had decided to horse race against each other. Being one to not back down from a challenge and a chance to knock the girl's massive ego down a notch, the boy eventually accepted while competing against each other in several other sports.

Soon the sun was starting to set, which signaled the boy had to take his turn to guard the portrait. Storm was walking to the room where he saw Twilight.

"Were you really waiting for me to show up?" said the boy as he saw Twilight as the guard protecting the painting was standing in front of it.

"That's why I brought a book," said the girl as it showed her sitting on her mother's throne next to the painting.

"Well, good news, I'm here. So you can go," stated the boy to the guard as he nodded and left.

"I can stay if you want me to. I-I don't mind," said Twilight as she stood up and traced her foot. In some ways, she was hoping he would say yes.

"It's fine. Nothing is gonna happen when I'm guarding the painting," said Storm.

"Okay, then," said Twilight as she began to walk.

As the princess was walking, her arm moved on its own, and her hand grabbed Storm's as she walked past him. The teens didn't look directly at each other, but they could feel their hands intertwining. The pair then turned their heads as they looked at each other.

"Be safe, princess."

"You too, Jedi Knight."

They smiled as Twilight walked and let her hand slip free from Storm's. The boy watched the princess leave the throne as she flashed one last wink at him, to which he couldn't help but let out a sigh and smile.

A few hours later, the moon was high in the sky. Storm was standing guard next to a canvas. The canvas had the portrait that would be unveiled in the morning as it had a sheet over it. The Jedi Knight kept his senses on high alert as he scanned and walked around the throne room. The only visible light was from the fireplace. Seeing that there was no danger, Storm then looked at the canvas. He approached it and then looked back to see if anybody was near. He then turned back to the canvas as he lifted a part of the sheet to look at the portrait.

"Simply beautiful," said Storm as he saw the portrait.

Soon, he heard a noise as the Jedi pulled his head out. The boy remained quiet as he listened. Storm heard a second sound as the boy reached to his side for his lightsaber but didn't turn it on. The sound was coming from the door. The Jedi Knight silently made his way to the entrance door; he placed his hand on it. The boy used his Jedi powers to sense what was on the other side. A nose occurred again as he now opened the door.

The door opened to the hallway as Storm looked both ways, but there was nothing. He heard another sound to the left as he silently hugged the wall while moving. He reached the corner, peaked his head, and saw what made the sound. It showed a figure holding stuff in their arms as they stepped on a wrapper.

"That's the last time I eat the gummies before reaching my room."

"What are you doing?" said Storm.

The figure turned and saw the Jedi as he tumbled. Spike had snuck off to the kitchen to steal some snacks for himself. The small prince was on his back as he tried to get up but couldn't. Soon he saw Storm towering over him as Spike smiled.

"Hey there, Storm."

"Shouldn't you be sleeping, kid?!" asked the Jedi.

"Just... wanted to grab a snack. Or two," chuckled Spike.

Storm rolled his eyes as he used his Force powers to lift the kid to his feet and pile the food in his arms more easily than before.

"Thanks, don't tell Twilight or my parents that I was sneaking past my bedtime, please. They would punish me for staying up so late," pleaded Spike.

"You got five seconds to disappear from my sights," stated Storm.

The prince took that advice as he ran off to his room. Storm then turned and made his way back to the throne room. He opened the door and closed it behind quietly. The Jedi Knight returned to his position and watched the portrait for the rest of the night.


Morning came as Storm was in the gardens standing next to the portrait. Sunrise came, and Twilight had gotten up earlier to check up on her partner without her parents knowing. She made it to the throne room as she saw the boy had fallen asleep in her father's chair next to the portrait. The princess giggled as seeing Storm napping was something she admired, cute even. The girl nudged her partner awake. Storm awoke to the princess's sight as her smile seemed to bring him happiness.

The pair ate breakfast together before heading out to the garden where Shining Armor was looking to unveil the portrait. The girls had heard the news and wanted to see it. Moondancer, Coco, Shenran, Gustave, and Fleur were also gathered as they awaited. Soon the entire royal family arrived, accompanied by four guards. Twilight joined her friends as Shining Armor began to speak.

"My loyal subjects, I thank you all for attending today," said Night Light as he received warm applause. He then handed it over to Shining Armor as he approached the portrait.

"It is with great delight that I reveal a portrait of my beloved Cadance. One that will be presented at the Gala and officially hung next to the portraits of my family. A true rendering that captures her incomparable beauty." said Shining Armor.

The eldest prince then pulled the tarp off.

GASP!!!!

The moment the sheet was off, everyone present gasped. It revealed the portrait as it showed Cadance. However, it seemed to have markings all over it. The portrait had googly eyes, a mustache, fangs sticking out of the mouth, a unibrow, ears drawn on the head's side, and pointing horns sticking out from the top.

"Who would dare besmirch the image of my beloved fiance?!" said Shining Armor.

"Obviously, someone with a very bizarre sense of humor," said Rainbow as she approached the portrait and put her hand on her chin. For someone who was a jokester herself, she admitted, she liked the handiwork of the person who defaced the portrait.

"You think this is amusing, Rainbow!!!" shouted Shining Armor.

"Uh, no, sir! Nothing funny here. Well, aside from the irony." said Rainbow as Shining Armor glared even more at the girl.

"Dear, I'm sure Rainbow didn't have anything to do with this harmless prank," said Cadance placing her hand on her fiance's shoulder.

"Harmless?!!" shouted Shining Armor. "This is anything but harmless!!!"

"Did you notice anyone lurking around the throne room while you stood guard?" asked Night Light to Storm.

"No," responded the Jedi Knight.

"And you never once left your post?" asked the King.

Storm didn't answer right away as Night Light noticed the slight hesitation.

"Boy?" said the King, now glaring at Storm.

"Regretfully, I left the throne for the briefest of moments," said Storm truthfully while keeping his head down. That answer didn't sit well with Night Light or Shining Armor, who heard that.

"And what was the reason?!!" demanded Night Light.

"It was..."

Storm shifted his eyes to look toward Spike, who was by Velvet's side, as the Jedi glared at the small prince. Spike was a bit scared that Storm would rat him out. The Jedi sighed as he was literally taking a bullet for the prince.

"It was nothing," said Storm.

"Disappointing, Jedi. That must have been when the vandal struck," said Night Light, walking over to examine the portrait.

"I warned you, Jedi. If you do anything to disrespect me, my family, or anyone that I love, you would not like the consequences," stated Shining Armor as Storm kept his head down. "You gave me your word."

"Shining," spoke Twilight softly as she didn't like the tone of her brother's voice.

"Take him away," said Night Light as he snapped his fingers. The guards heard their command as they were looking to take the Jedi Knight away for some questioning.

They were now surrounding Storm as the Jedi Knight noticed them. One of them placed a hand on his shoulder. The moment it happened, everything started to break down. The boy immediately began to defend himself as he twisted the guard's arm and dragged him to the floor as he kicked the other in the face. The rest began to subdue the Jedi Knight as Storm fought for his life. Everybody else was backing up to avoid getting involved as the Jedi took down the guards trying to capture him.

"Storm, stop!!!" shouted Twilight as the boy heard the princess' voice.

Once Storm kneed a guard, he turned where he was met with something. It made contact as Storm felt it. Shining Armor made his move as he managed to land a punch on the boy successfully. Shining Armor drove it into the boy's gut as Storm was left stunned. He turned his head ever so slightly to look at Shining Armor.

"I told you, Jedi. I'm not afraid of you," muttered the eldest prince, reminding Storm of what he said the other night.

The prince removed his fist and stepped back as Storm was in front of him. The Jedi Knight was clutching his stomach as he got hit and spat some spit from the pain he suffered from the blow. He was coughing heavily as he struggled to breathe from the punch he got from the eldest prince. The Jedi was at the mercy of the royal family as he was hurt. He lifted his head to look at Shining Armor, who stood with a grin.

"I gave you a warning. I ain't scared of your kind," reiterated Shining Armor as he cracked his knuckles.

"Guards, take him away," ordered Night Light.

"No!" said Twilight.

The guards slowly rose as they began to walk over to the boy, still hunched over in pain. Before they could touch him, they were pushed back as Twilight had her hand out. The girl used her Force powers to make the guards gently fall to the ground as she quickly rushed over to her partner's side. The princess then put her arms around the boy's head and pulled it into her chest as she kneeled in front of her father and big brother.

"Twily, what are you doing?!!" said Shining Armor.

"Please, big bro. Don't," pleaded Twilight as she was hoping to get her family to change their mind.

"Father?" said Shining Armor as he looked over to Night Light for his say on the matter.

The King glared at the teens before him as he saw Twilight. He saw his daughter holding onto Storm as she pulled him into her as if to say she wouldn't let any harm come to him. The King was looking into his daughter's eyes like the look of concern and pleading she had was shown. The guards recovered and were about to pull the princess off of Storm when Night Light raised his hand. The soldiers then stepped back and stood at attention.

Twilight was shocked to see the guards not move. Soon her father appeared right in front of her.

"Very well, but he must face the consequences. Such carelessness is completely unacceptable," stated Night Light. "Therefore, I will subjugate him to doing menial tasks as befits such dereliction of duty!"

"I understand, dad. Thank you," said Twilight as she managed to convince her father not to have Storm be locked or, worst, executed.

"Have this portrait sent to the sorceress' place for repair immediately!" stated Shining Armor to the Chamberlain.

"At once, your highness!" said the man.

"And let us consider these festivities over!" said Night Light as he dismissed everybody as they all disbursed.

Everyone was leaving as Twilight still held Storm in her arms. Spike watched as he had an unease look which Storm saw and glared even more at the small prince for what he did. Spike then quickly left as Twilight checked to see if Storm was alright. Soon shadow loomed over the teens, and it was Shining Armor.

"If it weren't for my little sister, you'd already be dead!" growled Shining Armor as he turned and left.

"Storm?" said Twilight as she placed her hand on his cheek.

"That hurt like a bitch," said the boy as he clutched the place where Shining Armor hit him as the pair stood up. The punch left by Twilight's older brother was growing even more painful with each passing second.


Sometime later, after being healed with a special ointment from Velvet. The Jedi Knight was given his list of chores to do for failing his job. However, it seems even Velvet was disappointed with the boy as it made the boy feel even more guilty for failing the royal family.

Storm was carrying some stuff in the hallway as he began the long, long, long list of punishments he had to endure. The bright side is that the princess spared him from possible execution, yet he still did his best to tread water. He turned the corner, and there was Spike. The Jedi Knight scowled at seeing the small prince as if it was because of him sneaking about late at night that got him to leave the throne room and get into trouble.

"Hey, so, listen. I appreciate you not telling my folks I was up past my bedtime and sneaking around."

When Spike said that, all the things Storm was carrying hit the floor with a loud thud. The prince looked at the Jedi Knight as he had a face that meant he was pissed off. For the boy, he so badly wanted to chew out the small kid. But he knew if he did that, he would cry to mommy and daddy and have him executed for sure.

"You owe me big time, kid! If it weren't for your sister, I'd be hanged from the gallows and have my head chopped off!" shouted Storm.

"Sorry. I didn't expect my dad and my brother..."

"Look, kid. If you're really sorry, do us both a solid. And that's stay away from me. That way, you don't get me in trouble, and I don't end up on the chopping block!" said Storm, using his Force powers to pile all the things he was carrying into his arms. He reached into the pile and pulled out something as he shoved it into Spike forcefully while walking by.

"Here's your stupid toy. Try not to break its arm again," stated Storm as he disappeared down the hall.

Spike watched the teen disappear before looking at his toy. The action figure had its arm broken and was now fixed thanks to Storm, as that was one of the punishments he had to do. The prince pushed one of the buttons on it as the figure moved its arms and said some lines as it seemed good as new. The small boy sighed as he left for his room to play with his toys and to stay out of the Jedi Knight's way.

"I know these chores are a punishment, Storm. But it's so nice to have company for once," said Fleur as she was in a room with the boy taking care of some maid duties.

While the girl was changing the sheets, Storm was shown folding some clothes and straightening the curtains. Well, he was moreso lost in thought as he was using his mind to have his Force powers do all the tasks. For the Jedi Knight, he was trying to figure out who might have been the one to deface the portrait of Cadance.

"I haven't seen the windows so clean since I first did them. And you're a stellar listener," said Fleur.

"Hmm?" said Storm as he was brought out of thought. "Oh, sorry, Fleur."

The boy sat down at a nearby table as all the cleaning supplies landed on the furniture.

"I was thinking about who could have done it," said the boy as he grabbed a towel and twisted it.

"Oh, Cadance's picture. Pity. Mind if you hold me while I get to cleaning the top of the dresser?" asked Fleur.

"Not any of the girls; they have no motive," said Storm as he didn't seem to hear the maid's request.

"It was me; I defaced the portrait," stated Fleur, hoping she could get the Jedi Knight to focus on her.

"Hmm, did you say something?" said Storm, once again, not hearing what the teen said.

"Nevermind," sighed Fleur. "Mind giving me a lift?"

"Sure, I suppose something will turn up," said the boy as he approached Fleur and lifted her by holding onto her waist. The girl then began to clean as the boy held her, but he was still thinking about this whole situation and how bizarre it was.

Once he finished his duties with Fleur, Storm was in the gardens as he was tasked with picking some of the vegetables ready to be harvested. He also did inventory on everything he picked when he sensed someone behind him. The boy stood and turned to see Twilight.

"I just wanted to see how you were doing," said the girl with her hands behind her back.

"Tedious hard work, not something I'm not used to. If anything, it gets me thinking," said Storm as he walked with Twilight trailing behind him.

"Like?" asked Twilight.

"Just trying to figure out the answer to this mystery," said Storm.

"Don't worry, we'll figure it out," said the princess as she grabbed her partner's hand and intertwined their fingers to show her support for the boy.

"You sure you should be near me. What happens if your brother or father sees us, Sparky?" chuckled the boy.

"I don't mind," responded the girl with a smile.

She then went for a hug as she buried her head into Storm. The boy wrapped one arm around the girl and held her as he smiled. Looking at the teens from his balcony was Night Light. The King let out a stressful sigh as he saw the pair. He then reflected on his conversation with Velvet during Storm's first visit.

(Flashback)

"It's about that boy," said Night Light as he stopped in place.

"Oh, you mean Twilight's partner, Storm. Yes, he's a unique person to be paired up with our daughter. But perhaps that's what she needs in her life," said Velvet with a smile.

"Velvet, I'm being serious here," stated the King to his wife as he sat down on the edge of the bed and sighed. "It's been over a decade since our daughter left to begin her studies as a Jedi. We didn't have any doubt that she wouldn't fail. And look at her now, a Jedi Knight. Fighting on the front lines of the war she's participating in. All of that, I'm fine with. Even if she were to fall on the battlefield or something, at least we would know she died with courage and honor. But... what I didn't expect was for there to be a boy in her life."

"Yes, Twilight has always been asocial, even when she began to read her first book. I still remember the beautiful moment," said Velvet as she thought back to when her daughter could read and write at a young age. "And now look at her; she's growing up and is starting to make friends. Something we couldn't do, but yet, Storm was able to get her to open up. Now she has people who she can depend on."

"And there lies the problem, the boy himself," stated Night Light to his wife.

"Are you really being overprotective of your daughter, honey?"

"A father has to watch out for his little princess. But it's not that; it's his relationship with her. The companionship between him and our little Twily. I feel as if it's a distraction of sorts. That he's keeping Twilight from fulfilling her duty, as the princess, she must be wed to someone of nobility to help both sides thrive."

"I understand, honey. But why do you see it as a distraction? Are you afraid she might develop feelings for the boy, which might complicate things?" asked Velvet.

"The boy is a Jedi. And as the rules state, they are forbidden from falling in love. He knows the consequences of what would happen if he tried to make a move on our daughter and how it would affect him in the eyes of the other Jedi. He knows it so that he won't risk."

"But... Twilight is the exception to the rule. And what happens if they do develop something, and should they decide to settle down. With Twilight being the exception, then by marrying her, he would bypass that rule, would he not?"

"It's not that simple, Velvet. And, as I said, he's not a concern. The boy's eyes tell his story. He has nothing to call his own; the only thing he would have to offer Twilight is his honor, tolerance for pain, and a top-notch brain. Yet, those things aren't enough to help our lineage to thrive. So it's imperative that Twilight must be wedded to a noble."

"Do you know what the gossip mongers refer to Twilight? They are out there, at this moment, whispering among themselves... that she is the heir to a throne of nothing. Nothing but failure. That she's more concerned with being a Jedi rather than her birthright. That she decided to be a Jedi to neglect and get away from her responsibilities. It is woven into her destiny that she proves them wrong. Our daughter is no failure; we've been proud of her since the moment she was born, just like our other children. This is why I need Twilight to understand. The weight of the crown rests on her shoulders."

(End of Flashback)

Night Light looked down at the teens as he saw Twilight helping Storm complete his chore. Letting out one final sigh, the King retreated to his quarters. The boy continued his chores while zooming all over the castle. The latest had him following Moondancer as he had to carry some equipment for the handmaiden of the princess. They were about to run some experiments when the sound of a horn trumpeted, and they looked up along with a few other servants out and about. It showed Shining Armor with Cadance as the eldest prince had a quick announcement to make.

"Loyal subjects, allow me to inform you of the good news. The sorcerer has used her alchemy to remove the offending black marks from my beloved's portrait. So in celebration, a second royal unveiling will be held
tomorrow. Complete with all the originally planned festivities!" proclaimed Shining Armor as he got loud applause and cheers from the servants.

Storm looked up with a refined look when he heard that. He was pleased to hear the news, but he still couldn't get the thought of someone defacing it out of his mind. Moondancer got his attention as the boy followed the girl to the lab to run some tests. Sunset was shown as Storm was now in the stables. He was with the stablehand and Shenran as they had shovels in their hands.

"Dung duty is my job, Storm. Let me help you," said Shenran to his buddy as he put some of the horse poop into the wheelbarrow that the Jedi was in front of.

"It's cool, Shenran. Besides, I've handled shitter jobs than this," said Storm as he now began to push the wheelbarrow.

The thing didn't budge at first, but once Storm applied some of his Jedi strength, the wheels began to turn as the boy was now pushing the cart out of the stables, with Shenran following him to put the shovels away. While Storm was pushing the cart, Shenran noticed Cadance approaching as he put the tools away.

"Careful where you step, your majesty," said the teen blacksmith to the young woman as he didn't want her to have her heels covered in horse dung accidentally.

"Very funny, bud," proclaimed Storm as he thought Shenran was talking to him. "But too late, I have already earned the title shit--"

Shenran cleared his voice as that got Storm to turn around. He now saw Cadance as he thought that whatever he was about to say, the young woman would think he was saying it about her.

"Cadance, sorry about that. Please excuse my appearance... and scent," said Storm as he did a quick bow to avoid having her inform Shining or Night Light to execute him for insulting her.

Cadance didn't respond immediately as she had a straight royal expression.

"Shenran, please excuse us," stated Cadance.

"Of course, milady," said the blacksmith as he left to give Storm and Cadance some privacy.

"Cadance, allow me to apologize again for failing you," said the Jedi Knight.

"Your apology is not accepted, Storm," said Cadance as that got the boy to be shocked a bit.

The Jedi Knight was stunned to hear the Crystal Empire's heir not accept his apology. He was about to speak, but Cadance beat him to the punch and explained.

"For I believe you have been reprimanded much too harshly," said the young woman.

"Oh. Well, your highness is very kind, but I would do any task to regain your favor. No matter how lowly," said Storm.

"Is there a task more lowly?" asked Cadance with a smile while covering her nose from the smell of Storm's sweat and dung that resonated from the boy.

"I certainly hope not," chuckled Storm as he got Candance to giggle a bit.

The woman looked behind and around her to see if anyone was around. Seeing no one, she then looked back at Storm as she wanted to say something.

"I... I must go," stated Cadance as she began to fast walk.

The boy was confused. It seemed like Cadance wanted to tell the Jedi something but couldn't get it out.


Nighttime had fallen over the castle. Standing on top of a tower was Storm. The Jedi was positioned as he sat with his right arm on his knee while observing the entire castle from below. He wasn't alone as on his shoulder was his bat, Sonar. The small mammal had decided to accompany its new owner for their nighttime activity. Hours passed, and nothing had occurred. The bat let out a squeaking sound to the boy.

"Sorry, bud. But protecting Cadance's portrait is the least I can do for her," said the boy to the small creature.

Sonar let out another sound as he pointed to his stomach; it let out a growling.

"Don't worry; we won't be here for much longer. We're just..."

At that moment, both the Jedi and the animal sensed something. They looked down at a section of the castle as they stared. From above, it zoomed in on an open window that showed one of the hallways. Soon it showed a shadowy figure running by the window.

"I knew it," stated Storm.

The boy then got up. He looked to the small mammal on his shoulder as it nodded. The Jedi Knight then leaped and spun in the air as he came rushing down through the air. He shifted his body as his feet landed on the castle's outer walls, now sliding down the large structure. They knew the hallway the figure ran by as there was only one place it led to as the boy was looking to either catch them in the act or cut them off. He then pushed off and landed through another open window as he took off.

The Jedi ran along the hall while heading to the throne room. He made it to the throne room door as he noticed a small aperture in the walls. He gestured for Sonar; the bat got the idea and flew through the gap as the Jedi was going to enter through the door. Both entered the room simultaneously as they were shocked by what they saw.

"Halt!" said Storm as the person holding the candle heard the boy's voice. They turned as the light allowed their face to be revealed.

"Cadance?!" said the Jedi Knight in a surprised tone.

The knight that was standing nearby heard the boy's voice. He had fallen asleep part way through his job and remained asleep when Cadance entered the room. The sudden loud voice from Storm got him awake, but he soon returned to close his eyes as he went back to sleeping while standing.

Cadance saw the guard go back to sleep. She then put her finger to her mouth to signal Storm to keep his voice down as she began to speak.

"I was checking on the sorcerer's handiwork," spoke Cadance softly.

"Champion job, I gotta say. Never seen such beauty look so realistic," said Storm as he admitted that the portrait captured Cadance's gorgeous beauty in perfection.

"Except for that blemish on my cheek," said Cadance as she looked closer at her own portrait with the candles giving her light to see it.

"Blemish?" said Storm as he was confused. He squinted his eyes to look at the portrait but didn't see what Cadance saw. "I see nothing."

"How can you not see my long forehead? And what of those lines along my mouth? Dreadful," said the young woman.

"Smile lines. What could be dreadful about a smile?" asked Storm to Cadance as he got the woman to smile. "Like that."

"You are too kind, Storm," said Cadance, instinctively raising her left hand as there was a piece of chalk. She quietly noticed it and hid it behind her, hoping the boy didn't see it.

The Jedi Knight merely looked at Cadance before calling out to Sonar. The bat flew from the gap in the hole past the woman as it circled her before landing on his shoulder.

"With your leave, Cadance. I have some things to do in the morning," said the Jedi Knight as he gave a bow.

Cadance returned the bow as Storm turned to leave. He approached the door, quietly opened it, and closed it not to awaken the knight sleeping. Cadance waited a few seconds to see if Storm would return as he did not. She then looked at the guard sleeping as he was snoring. With no interruptions, Cadance pulled out the chalk from behind her back and pointed it at the portrait.

"Cadance," said Storm.

The woman gasped at seeing Storm standing there. What shocked her was that she didn't hear the door opening to signal that someone was entering. Yet, Storm was before her as if he had entered like a normal person. The woman quickly remembered that he was Jedi and had incredible power. Knowing that she began to run past Storm and through the door as she dropped the chalk. Storm began to chase after her as his foot stepped on the chalk, which broke, leaving pieces and a mark on the floor. He exited through the door and closed it. The sound of the chalk breaking awoke the knight guarding the portrait as he awoke suddenly.

"Who's there?!!" shouted the guard as he pointed his weapon around as if expecting to be attacked. Seeing that there was no one, he then looked at the painting and saw that it was fine.

"Whew, lucky," said the guard as he was grateful that the painting wasn't ruined. "Lucky still," he stated as he turned his head and saw the chalk mark left on the ground.

Storm had made it to the castle's gardens as he tried to find Cadance. He noticed her standing under a nearby tree as she came out.

"Cadance?"

"Yes, it's true. I'm the guilty one."

"You? But..."

"Storm. You had to endure harsh punishment for a deed I alone committed. Can you ever find it in your heart to forgive me?" asked Cadance.

"Of course," responded Storm immediately.

"You accepted your burden with such grace and honor. And now you're burdened with this truth," said Cadance.

"Well, let's just say that I'm keeping many secrets. But there is something that I don't understand; why would you ruin your own portrait?" asked the Jedi Knight.

"I'm not proud of what I did, but I am even less proud of the way I look," answered Cadance as she took a few steps to look into the pond. She saw her reflection and then looked back at the boy. "I cannot bear the thought of my face hanging on the walls for all to see."

"But you're so beautiful. Everyone feels that way," stated Storm.

"And everyone expects me to be the model of propriety and perfection. I can't even blow my nose for fear of appearing unladylike. I envy you, Storm."

"You envy me? Why? You're royalty? And you're going to be married to someone who you truly love? What do I have that makes you envious?" said the teen. "I've always admired your grace and beauty. Look at me; I don't give a shit about what people think of me."

"Precisely. That is what I envy most," replied Cadance.

The pair then heard footsteps in the distance as they looked toward the doors. It showed a small light creeping toward the door.

"You have every right to divulge what I've done, but I beg you not to," whispered Cadance.

"I promise, on one condition. You never deface your portrait again," stated Storm.

"I promise," said Cadance, "But I will not promise to like it,"

"Who's there?!!" shouted the guard as his footsteps got closer.

The pair looked at each other before they split up and ran in opposite directions.


Morning came, and everyone gathered once again. The canvas was in front of all as they awaited Shining Armor and Cadance. The guard tasked with protecting the painting was talking with Night Light.

"Had I not been so alert, the thief would have struck again," said the guard.

"Had you'd been more alert, you would have caught the thief," stated Night Light as he downplayed his guard's brave act of protecting the painting.

"And I will, your majesty. I managed to capture their footprint," said the guard as he had a piece of paper that had the mark on it. "Once the shoe fits, I will have them. Crafty, eh?"

"Surprisingly so," said Night Light nonchalantly.

"Oh, your majesty. Your boots are quite handsome; may I see one?" asked the guard.

Night Light knew what his guard was doing as he rolled his eyes. The King then lifted his boot so that the guard could do his job as he bent down and examined the print of the King with the one on the paper.

"Well, you'll be happy to know, your majesty, you are not the vandal," said the guard.

"Most reassuring," stated Night Light, rolling his eyes as he knew he was innocent.

"Tell me, Storm is there anything more exciting than serving food at a royal unveiling?" asked Fleur as she and the boy were carrying some trays.

"Slicing battle droids during a heated battle does come close. Not to mention swinging my lightsaber around," said the Jedi Knight as the maid rolled her eyes.

The pair soon put the food on the table as in the background; the guard was checking the footprints of everyone. Soon, Twilight, Cadance, and Shining Armor arrived as everyone looked at them.

"Well, not then. Let's try this again," said Shining Armor as he approached the canvas. "Everyone, it gives me great pride to present you all the portrait of my beloved fiance and soon-to-be wife."

The eldest prince took off the sheet as it showed the portrait. Everyone was looking at the portrait of Cadance as they were admiring. Soon that admiration came to a halt.

"I caught the thief!" shouted the guard. He had managed to find a matching print. "And the vandal is... Storm?"

The guard looked up to see it was none other than the Jedi Knight as that shocked him and everybody else.

"What the hell are you doing?" asked the boy as the guard backed while whistling as he wasn't going to try to apprehend the Jedi less he got another ass-kicking like yesterday.

Night Light was approaching the boy as it seemed he wanted some answers.

"Jedi Knight, were you in the throne room last night?" asked the King.

"Well, yeah-" said the boy.

"Then perhaps you should rethink your answer, bearing in mind your Jedi's code of honor. Did you vandalize Cadance's portrait?" asked the King sternly.

"No," responded the boy truthfully.

"Well, the evidence speaks for itself," said Shining Armor as he stared down at his sister's partner. "If you didn't do it, then who did?"

Storm quickly glanced at Cadance as the woman was waiting to see if the boy would tell. The Jedi Knight lowered his head as he vowed to keep his promise.

"I cannot say," spoke the teen.

"So you know who did it?!!" said Night Light with some volume. "If you value your life, Jedi, you'd best give me an honest answer! Who is the vandal?!!!" demanded the King as some more guards were starting to close in on the boy.

Storm knew what he wanted to say, but he made a promise. As for Twilight, she wanted to rush and come to her partner's aid but was held back by her mother. The girl also saw Storm slowly reaching for his lightsaber as he prepared to fight as Shining Armor revealed a small object, as he too noticed the Jedi Knight reaching for his weapon. The tension was high as all that was needed was a match to ignite the fire that was about to break out. Soon something happened.

"Night Light," spoke Cadance as she made her presence known and walked over to where they were. "Storm is innocent."

"But Cadance--" said the King as he was shocked to see his son's fiance defending the boy.

"I assure you, the real culprit feels very remorseful, has been duly punished, and has vowed never to do it again."

"Cadance, dear. How do you know all this?" asked Shining Armor.

She looked at Storm as the boy nodded.

"Because I am the guilty party," said Cadance as that got a massive gasp from everyone.

"What? You ruined your own portrait? But why?" asked Shining Armor to the girl he loved with all of his heart.

"Because... I cannot see the perfection you pray so highly about," said Cadance as she walked over to the portrait.

Shining Armor walked to Cadance as he talked with his fiance as she informed him of what she told Storm. However, at that moment, another thing was happening. Twilight noticed her ship flying into the air as her eyes went wide.

"Oh, no!" said the princess as she ran and spoke to her communicator. "TS-01! Wait! I didn't give the all-clear signal!"

"Calculating height. Adjusted for wing displacement. The angle of velocity. And.... descend!" said the droid as she controlled the ship.

The princess' droid was now doing its stunt show as per the order of Twilight. However, the princess forgot to give the signal to her droid as she was trying to delay the show, but it was too late. The droid controlled the ship as it did a few barrel rolls while zooming through some clouds that, when hit, turned into rings. The droid turned the ship around and zoomed through the rings. It did some more tumbles and rolls as it fired two flares. They zoomed ahead as the droid fired the weapons on the front; they made contact with the flares as they exploded, and some fireworks occurred.

The ship landed and parked a few meters from everyone. Everyone else was clapping and applauding the princess' droid as they enjoyed the show it put on as Twilight came to the port where her droid was stationed.

"Great work, TS-01. But next time, wait till I say it's okay to go," said the princess.

"Okay, Twilight," replied the droid. It accidental fire the guns as the blasts were heading toward the canvas and the portrait.

Cadance quickly acted and saved her portrait as the blast burned the wooden structure. The droid gave some embarrassed beeps as Twilight quickly shut down her fighter to avoid accidental prefire.

"I suppose it'll look good in the hall," said Cadance to Shining Armor and Storm as she had come to accept the portrait. Faults and all. Storm was smiling as it seemed things ended well for everyone.

PreviousChapters Next