• Published 20th Nov 2021
  • 2,450 Views, 857 Comments

Star Wars: The Great War - ShootingStar25



You've heard it time and time again. The Force surrounds us and binds the galaxy together. Well, that hits both hard and true. The time for survival is now and may the Force guide us to a better tomorrow.

  • ...
1
 857
 2,450

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 50: Brain Invaders

Attachment is not compassion.

Recap: Victory on Geonosis! After a massive assault, the Republic has finally recaptured the Separatist planet and shut down its droid factories of doom. An investigation by Luminara Unduli led to the discovery of Queen Karina the Great, whose hive-mind could reanimate dead Geonosian soldiers. During the destruction of the Queen's temple, the Jedi apprehended her advisor Poggle the Lesser, and now prepare to deliver the villain to Coruscant for trial...

Our heroes were currently handing Poggle over to some clones as they began to load the Geonosian onto a shuttle. Exiting the shuttle were Barriss, Ahsoka, and Twilight as the girls had fully recovered from their bruises. Soon both Master Ki-Adi-Mundi and Luna exited as well as they descended the ramp. While the boys were rescuing Master Luminara, they had received some urgent news.

"I'm afraid we have a complication," said Master Mundi.

"Don't we always?" said Anakin.

"We've just received a distress signal from our forces on Dantooine. Master Windu's defenses held, but at a great cost to his men. They need medical supplies immediately. We can obtain these supplies at the medical station near Ord Cestus." said Luna.

"We're delivering Poggle to Coruscant, and Cestus is not exactly on the way," said Storm to his master.

"The Republic must begin debriefing Poggle right away if we're to get useful intelligence from him," added Luminara as they need to get Poggle into custody.

"Master, I suggest we let the girls handle the supply mission," said Anakin to Obi-wan as he gestured to the two Padawans and Twilight.

"Whatever needs to be done, Master. I'm happy to help," said Ahsoka.

"As am I," replied Barriss.

"Sparky?" asked Storm as he awaited his partner's answer.

"Well, someone needs to be in charge of these two padawans. And I am a higher rank than both of them, so technically, that means I'm the boss of them," said Twilight with a sly smile.

"That's my girl," smiled Storm. Luna saw the expression of her student and the princess as she shook her head.

"Very well. Take a medical frigate. And after we've delivered Poggle to Coruscant, we'll rendezvous with you for the voyage to Dantooine." instructed Obi-wan to the girls.

With that, the girls got aboard the ship that Poggle was on as the others would be leaving separately. At the same time, in the distance, was the temple that our heroes escaped from. Some clones were sleeping. However, a few meters away under a rock, there was an egg. And not just some egg, it was the same egg that housed those worms that controlled the undead Geonosians. It was shown as it then hatched and out came a brain worm. The slimy thing then began to slither around. It made its way over to one of the clones sleeping as it entered his nose.

Soon a blaster shot was fired. It awoke all the clones as they suddenly grabbed their weapons. They all looked to see their leader standing before them.

"Sorry, boys. Hope I didn't interrupt any pleasant dreams," said the clone in charge.

"Got another mission, sir?" asked one of the men.

"You bet. We're making a medical supply run to Ord Cestus."

"Ugh. Thought we were bred for battle, not running errands," complained another clone.

"Hey. We were bred to follow orders, Pulsar. You got a problem with that?" asked the clone leader.

"No, sir. No problem," corrected the clone as he stared at his leader.

"That's what I thought. Now move," said the clone in charge to his men.

The clone that just spoke then turned around as he saw his friend still napping on the floor. He then began to call out to him.

"Scythe. Come on. Up, brother. Up and at 'em." said the clone as he slung his backpack over his shoulder.

The clone still slept. Soon something happened. The brain worm that entered his nose do its job as the clone wiggled around a bit as his eyes rolled to the back of his head before returning to its position. The clone then stood up fiendishly as he got to his feet just as his friend saw him stand up.

"Hey, Scythe. Welcome back to the land of the living," said the clone as he saw his friend standing there normally.

"Thank you, sir," replied Scythe as he was under the control of the brain worm.

The group of clones met with the girls as they were walking up the ramp to board the medical frigate that was to pick up the supplies. Scythe was shown carrying his stuff as his friends. But secretly, the clone also had some more eggs that were hidden in his backpack as the worm had plans. Both Anakin and Storm were standing on the ramp of their shuttle as they saw the ship the girls were on take off. They soon entered their ship as they had a prisoner to deliver.


In space, the girls were in the cockpit as they stood behind the pilots. They were contacting Jedi Master Fisto as well as Celestia as Twilight was surprised to see her teacher.

"We are ready to make our jump, Master Fisto," said Barriss to the screen above.

"Good. I look forward to your arrival."

"Master, I have my latest report," said Twilight.

"Very well, Twilight. I look forward to reading it when you arrive," smiled the Jedi Master to her student.

The ship then entered hyperspace. The trip was going smoothly for a bit. Both padawans were currently in their quarters aboard the medial frigate as they were catching some much need sleep given how grueling the past few days were. Ahsoka was in her bed as she kept tossing and turning. The girl was doing everything she can to fall asleep, but she couldn't. She then turned to her side to look at Barriss who was sleeping across from her.

"What? What is it?" asked Barriss, she still had her eyes closed, but could sense Ahsoka was looking at her.

"It's too quiet. It's a big change from all the fighting the last few days."

"You should enjoy this peace while it lasts," said Barriss.

I can't. Let's go eat," suggested Ahsoka as Barriss opened her eyes.

The girls then exited their room as they began to make their way to the mess hall. As the girls walked down a hallway, they had just turned the corner when Scythe was shown. Once the girls were out of sight, he then pushed a button. It opened up to the room where his comrades were as they too were fast asleep. The clone then began to get to work. He took off his backpack and opened it up as it was full of eggs. He grabbed a few and rolled them along the floor. The eggs then hatched as more brain worms appeared. They then slithered around as they did the same thing they did to Scythe. They entered the noses of the clones as they gagged a bit before fully submitting to the worm's control. Soon the clones sat up in their beds as they stood at command.


The padawans weren't the only ones who couldn't sleep. Twilight had been in the mess hall for quite some time. She didn't have a problem with sleeping, but moreso she was working on something. The Jedi Knight had her journal out as she was trying to write in it. She had documented her adventure recently as her report for her master. But, she was also trying to write something personal.

"I... I... wish... No! No! That's not what I want to say!" said the girl as she erased what she wrote to start over.

The princess had been restarting and rewriting for quite a while. Yet, she still couldn't write down what she wanted to say.

"Why is this is so hard?! In the past, I've always been able to transcribe what's in my mind onto the page. So why is it difficult all of a sudden!?" shouted the girl as she slammed her fist on the table.

The Jedi Knight let out a sigh as she rubbed her temples. She then reached into her robe and pulled out the sapphire stone. The stone that was given to her by her parents when she left with Celestia to become a Jedi. The day they had given it to Twilight, they said that it was a way for her to remember her home. And for her to be protected. Granted being trained as a Jedi meant she could defend herself, but she realized that it meant it was a way for her to know that they were looking over her by the thing they gave her.

Whenever, Twilight was down, frustrated, or anything, she would always look at the stone. She now looked at it while glancing at the page of her journal. The girl now knew what she wanted to say as she put the stone away and began to write.

"I wish..."

The doors to the mess hall opened as in came the padawans.

"Fancy meeting you here, Twilight."

"Ahsoka!" exclaimed the girl as she quickly closed her journal. "I guess neither of you could sleep."

"Well, one of us," said Barriss directing her gaze to Ahsoka.

"I get it," smiled Twilight as she understood.

Soon the padawans grabbed their trays as they sat at the table with the Jedi Knight. They began to talk about some girl stuff as they chuckled now and then. Soon they noticed the journal that the princess had as Twilight forgot to put it away.

"What's the secret?"

"No secret, Ashoka. Just... this journal, I've had since I was a youngling. Over the years, I've recorded my journey of becoming a Jedi Knight. And I'm continuing it as I ascend to hopefully get the rank of Master."

"Master Celestia speaks highly of you. And I see why. Your training and skills under her tutelage have allowed you to ascend to knighthood while still being a teen." stated Barriss.

"It wasn't easy, that's for sure. Master Celestia can be very strict at times. But I worked hard to show that I was worthy of being her star pupil."

"Still, though. Princess? Didn't expect that when we first met." said Ahsoka.

"Yeah... it's... not something I go around telling people. It's not anything to brag about. If anything, it's a burden."

"Being forced to be married by the time you turn 18?" said Barriss. "Normally, Jedi can't fall in love. But since your master made the promise to your parents, there's nothing the Jedi Council can do but honor the traditions of your people. That's the purpose of us as Jedi. To maintain the peace between things."

"Yeah, but... I feel like being a Jedi is my only escape at times. You get what I'm saying?" asked Twilight as the girls nodded.

"While we're on the topic of marriage, any suitors that your parents have recommended to you? Any boys that catch your interest?" asked Barriss.

"Um, well, none so far," smiled the princess sheepishly. "I'm just more focused on finishing my studies and hopefully gain the rank of master before that happens. But, enough talking about me. What about you two? Why are you up?"

"I was just thinking about what Barriss said earlier about enjoying the peace while it lasts. As a Jedi, I'm not sure I know how to do that," answered Ahsoka.

"Master Windu has said we are keepers of the peace, not warriors. However, once the war is over, it will be our job to maintain the peace," stated Barriss to her friends.

"Yes, but will we do so as keepers of the peace or warriors? And what's the difference?"

"I don't have all the answers, Ahsoka. Like you, I'm a learner. What does your Master tell you?" asked Barriss.

"Anakin? Oh, um, you might find some of his thoughts on the future, uh, a bit radical."

"Really? Why?" asked Barriss.

"Let's just say my Master will always do what needs to be done. I'm not even sure how peacetime will agree with him," stated the girl.

"And you Twilight? You're a higher rank than me or Ahsoka, so surely you have some words of wisdom you can share with us? What does Master Celestia tell you?" asked Barriss to the Jedi Knight.

"She says that harmony and balance will be restored once the war ends. I believe her, as I want nothing more than to keep the peace. My only concern is... will it last?" said the girl.

"And does your partner think? Surely, he's offered his insight seeing as how close you two are?" asked Barriss.

"Storm? Um, well, we're not that close," smiled the girl as she looked away a bit while playing with her hair. "He... speaks his mind. But... he's more focused on himself."

While the girls were speaking, Scythe had made it to the cockpit as he had some clones accompanying him.

"Just come up to check on us, Scythe? Well, we are on course, and all systems are green," said one of the pilots as he turned back to the window.

The clones behind Scythe then pulled out their blasters.

"What the--?" was all the pilot said as he turned back before the blasters were shoot.

"We have control of the bridge," said Scythe as they disposed of the pilots.

At that same moment, the doors to the mess hall opened up. There stood two clones as the girls saw them.

"Evening, Ox, Edge. Would you like to join us?" asked Ahsoka with a smile.

The clones didn't say anything. They just stared at the girls.

"Is something wrong, troopers?" stated Ahsoka.

The clones stepped into the mess hall and pointed their blasters at the girls. They fired they all turned on their lightsabers to defend themselves. They were blocking the shots as Ahsoka flipped the table over to provide cover.

"Troopers, stand down!" shouted Twilight as she was the highest-ranking person in command as she hoped they would listen to her.

They kept on firing as when their guns came over the table, both Barriss and Ahsoka cut the front part as Twilight thrust her hand to Force push them against the wall. They approached the clones as they were leaning and unconscious. Just then, the doors opened once more. Two more clones entered with their guns ready and pointed. They were soon met with three colored sabers pointed at them.

"What are you doing?" asked the clone named Trap as he put his hands up.

"Two clones just attacked us. What is going on?" asked Ahsoka.

"Trap, do you know what happened to those troopers?" asked Barriss.

"Couldn't tell you, Commander. I'm just as confused as--"

"You're in charge of those men. Did you order them to kill us?" said Twilight as she cut off the clone.

"No, sir. I did not," answered Trap.

"What's happening? Why would they do this?" shouted Ahsoka still keeping her lightsaber aimed at the clones.

"We don't know. We heard shots," said the clone next to Trap.

"Why should we believe you?" stated Barriss.

"Look, no guns," said Trap as he and his friend slowly bent down.

Both put their blasters on the floor while looking at the girls before standing up while keeping their arms raised. The girls soon turned off their blades.

"These men wouldn't just attack us without reason," said Barriss to the group.

"My Master had a clone betray them once, a traitor who was paid off by Ventress," said Ahsoka as she recalled the incident Anakin told her.

"Storm said the same thing. It happened right before we got to Christophsis," added Twilight.

"It can't be that simple. At least, it didn't feel like that," said Barriss turning to look at the clones still knocked out.

"Excuse me, sir. We should make sure that we're still in control of the bridge" stated Trap.

"Bridge, this is Barriss. Respond."

The padawan spoke into her comlink but didn't get an answer.

"We need to get up there. We need to find out what's going on," said Ahsoka.

"But these two will be coming around any minute," stated Twilight.

"Havoc can watch them until we check on the bridge," suggested Trap.

"Okay, let's go," said Ahsoka as the girls and Trap left as he grabbed his blaster off the floor and followed them.


In a different part of hyperspace, the other group of Jedi was still on route. Master Luminara, Mundi, and Luna were all on the bridge as soon approaching them were Kenobi, Anakin, Storm, and Captain Rex. The Jedi Masters all had some info to share with the group.

"The cargo ship failed to check in on schedule. I attempted to contact them. There is no reply." said Master Luminara as she turned to the group.

"I don't like it. Something's up," said Anakin.

"It is certainly most unlike either padawan to lose contact," stated Luminara.

"And Twilight usually calls me if she's struggling with something," responded Storm.

"They're in trouble."

"Anakin, have faith in your padawan," stated Kenobi.

"She would have checked in."

"Like you always do?" said Kenobi with a smug look.

"Good point," responded Anakin as he couldn't argue with that fact.

"Sometimes I don't think you realize how alike you two have become," said Kenobi.

Master Mundi cleared his throat as he got the attention of the group.

"We need to continue our interrogation of Poggle."

"Yes, agreed. He's being most uncooperative," said Luna.

She along with the other Jedi Masters then left to see their prisoners as the Jedi Knights stayed back as Rex approached his general.

"Keep your ears open in case Ahsoka calls," said Anakin.

"Got it," responded Rex.


Back in the medical frigate, Scythe was having some of the clones drag away the bodies of the pilots.

"Engage the autopilot and put up the security shields," said Scythe to a clone.

The girls were in the hallway when the shields came on and blocked their path.

"Someone doesn't want us going up there," said Ahsoka.

"I'll attempt to override the controls," said Barriss as she bent down to the panel.

Just as the girls were distracted, Trap suddenly backed up. He had his blaster and was aiming it. Both Barriss and Twilight sense danger as Trap fired his weapon. Barriss turned on her weapon as she deflected the shot and then disarmed the clone. The clone then threw itself on the padawan as her lightsaber was flung from her hand. Up close, the clone now opened its mouth as the brain worm was shown as it was trying to reach for Barriss to infect her.

"He's infected!" shouted Barriss.

The girl made her weapon fly into her hand and pointed it at the chest of the clone. She then turned it on and the blade went through the soldier as he fell. But the brain worm was still alive as it now latched onto the padawan.

"Get this thing off me!" shouted Barriss to the girls.

She threw it as both Ahsoka and Twilight used their blades to cut it into pieces as it was fully dead.

"Ugh, what is that?" said Ahsoka as she was disgusted at the sight of the insect.

"Looks like some type of parasite. It must be controlling their actions," said Twilight as the brain worm was still wiggling after being cut.

"Mind control. Well, that explains a lot. Trap was my friend. He would never have tried to kill us." stated Ahsoka. "How did these things get onboard in the first place?"

The girls all bent down as both padawans picked up the pieces of the worm as it stopped moving.

"They must have infected the clones while they were on Geonosis," said Barriss.

"We'll have to quarantine the ship," responded Ahsoka.

"We should also contact Master Fisto and Celestia and let them know about the situation," instructed Twilight to the padawans as they got up.

"Let's go," stated Ahsoka.

All three girls ran as they turned the corner. They ran down the hallway when they made another turn as they heard some noises.

"That sound, it's... Geonosian," said Barriss.

The girls made it to the cargo hold as they peeked inside. They saw all the infected clones as they were currently holding another clone as they looked to infect him.

"We have to help him," said Ahsoka.

At that moment, the clone carrying the egg had the brain worm slither its way into the nose of the clone as it took but a few seconds to control his mind as it was soon over.

"It's too late," said Twilight.

In that instance, an infected clone turned the corner and came running down as it fired at the girls. They all turned around and deflected the shots using their blades. The others in the cargo hold heard as they looked to see the girls enter. Ahsoka managed to use the Force to slide the door shut before the clone could enter. They now turned to look at the group they were trapped with as one of them started to walk with a few more eggs in his hand. Twilight managed to do some quick thinking as she used the Force to yank them from his hand so that they rolled on the floor towards the girls. They all then sliced the eggs in half to stop the worms from hatching. The clones let out Geonosian sounds as they began to fire at the girls. The door behind them opened and there was the clone shooting at them from before.

Barriss used her hand to knock over some crates as she gave them more cover and to block the clones' line of sight. Ahsoka managed to reflect a blaster shot at the clone in the doorway as he fell but clutched his shoulder before starting to get back up. The girls now took cover behind some crates as they were outnumbered.

"Barriss, Twilight, let's go for the vent!" shouted Ahsoka as she looked above.

The girls all leaped onto some crates as the clones continued to fire at them. They then forward flipped onto the walkway above. Barriss then used the Force to rip apart a vent craft as they all lunged forward and rolled into the ventilation shaft.

They were now crawling in the vents as they came to an opening. They saw some clones run by them as they were beginning their search for the Jedi.

"I'll go to the reactor room and disable the thrusters. You head for the aft comm-center and send a warning to Master Fisto and Master Celestia. We have to stop the ship from reaching the medical station." said Barriss.

Once the clones passed, the girls kept on crawling.

"I don't know, Barriss. I think we should stay together," responded Ahsoka.

"As do I. Unfortunately, that's not a luxury we have right now. One of us must succeed, Ahsoka." said Barriss to her friend.

"If anything, the reactor room is probably the most dangerous of the two. So, I'll go with Barriss and provide backup," stated Twilight.

"I don't think..."

"Ahsoka, she's right. We don't have time. The moment the ship docks, more people will be infected. Which means more lives will be at risk." said Twilight.

"But..."

"Ahsoka, trust me," said Twilight.

The padawan gave it some thought as she looked at the Jedi Knight. After being with Twilight for so long, she knew that she could count on Twilight. So eventually, she gave a nod.

"If you need to, you'll do what must be done. I know it," spoke Barriss.

"Yes, of course. Then I'll see both of you soon," said Ahsoka as she went down the left path as Barriss and Twilight went the other way.


Ahsoka managed to successfully make it to the comm-center as she was contacting Master Fisto. She was telling the Jedi Master of their situation as he was grateful Celestia stepped out of the room as she would be in all kinds of panic to find out the danger her student was in.

"As long as these things are on board, we dare not dock with the medical station," said the padawan.

"You must bring the ship in. The only way we can stop these parasites is to analyze them," said Master Fisto.

"You don't understand how terrible these things are. What if they get loose?" responded the girl.

"We will take precautions," replied the Jedi Master.

"I have a bad feeling about this, Master Fisto, but I will follow your instructions," said Ahsoka.

With Barriss and Twilight, the pair had exited the vents as they dropped down. Both had their lightsabers in hand, as they walked cautiously towards their destination. They turned the corner and prepared to enter the reactor. The moment they stepped through, an electric trap went off shocking both girls. It made them drop the lightsabers as they fell to the floor. A clone hand then grabbed both of their weapons as they appeared behind the Jedi.

"If there's one thing we clones know, it's how to stop a Jedi," said one of them.

Soon more appeared in front of the girls with their weapons aimed at them. The doorway was now shielded as the girls had no means to escape. Approaching them was a clone as he had two eggs in his hand each with a brain worm for the girls. Soon a scream was heard.

"No!"

Meanwhile...

"Almost got it," said Ahsoka as she was trying to contact her master.

"Cargo ship TB-73, this is clone Captain Rex. Please respond."

Rex, this is Ahsoka. Boy, am I glad to hear your voice."

"Likewise, sir. I've got someone here who wants to speak with you."

Rex then stepped back as Anakin came into frame.

"Ahsoka, what's going on? Are you okay?"

"Well, not exactly," said the padawan. She then told them what was happening.

"You mean to tell me that Twilight is danger?!!!" shouted Storm as he overheard the conversation. He quickly got into the frame as he saw Ahsoka. "Where is she?!!!"

Walking through the ship were the infected clones. Behind one of them was Barriss as she trekked along. As they turned a corner, the padawan went in a different direction. She was now walking along a different path as her Force instincts were guiding her.

"Make sure you have a wrist com. Keep it on. We're going to interrogate Poggle. He might have some answers. Find Barriss and wait for our signal." instructed Anakin as the transmission ended.

The scene then panned out to show Barriss standing there as Ahsoka turned and jumped a bit. It was like a scene out of a horror movie as the girl stood there staring at the padawan.

"Barriss, you're back. Were you successful?" asked Ahsoka. "Barriss... what's wrong?"

The Padawan put her hand out as she began to use her powers.

"Barriss, no!" shouted Ahsoka.

The girl managed to shatter the map as glass came at Ahsoka who was able to avoid getting hurt as she put her hands out to use the Force to spread it out around her.

"I'm your friend! Barriss, snap out of it!"

The girl merely turned on her lightsaber as she leaped over the table. Ahsoka spun in place as when she came back around she blocked Barriss' attack with her blade. The two padawans then began to exchange blades as Ahsoka pushed her back a bit.

"Barriss! It's not you! It's the creatures. Fight them!" shouted Ahsoka but it fell on deaf ears.

She then saw her opportunity as she kicked Barriss back who fell to the floor. She then ran out the door as the girl lifted her head. Ahsoka kept on running but she soon bumped into someone. The girl fell as did the person, she looked as it turned out to be Twilight. Immediately she turned on her lightsaber and looked to fight.

"Wait!" shouted Twilight. "Ahsoka, it's me!"

"Like I'm that gullible!" said the padawan as she felt like this was a trick.

"Please, you have to believe me. It's me!" pleaded Twilight.

"How do I know you're not infected?!" asked the girl keeping her blade pointed at the Jedi Knight.

Twilight merely dropped her weapon to the side as she hoped that was enough to convince her friend. Ahsoka didn't buy it as she felt like it was similar to what occurred in the mesh hall.

"I know, the last thing Barriss said to you before we split. You know what to do."

"That's exactly what you would say if you were infected!" stated the padawan as she still wasn't buying it.

Twilight put her head down as she let out a sigh. Seems even that alone was not enough to convince her.

"Then... you leave me with no choice," said the girl in a low tone. She then opened her mouth, "Do you remember your embarrassing moment? The one you haven't told anyone, not even Master Skywalker. The one, you only told me, because it's so embarrassing. Well, it's..."

Twilight then spoke it as Ahsoka now fully believed that her friend was telling the truth.

"Okay, I believe you! Stop talking!" said Ahsoka as it was embarrassing what she told her.

Twilight smiled as Ahsoka extended her hand. The Jedi Knight grabbed her lightsaber and was pulled up by her friend. They smiled for a second before ducking behind a corner as the clones passed by. Once they were gone, Twilight then told Ahsoka how she barely managed to escape, but that Barriss was infected. Now the pair were running as they knew their friend would soon find them.

As the girls were looking for some safety, the boys were making their way to the detention cell. The Jedi Knights approached the cell that was being guarded by some clones as they stood at attention. Inside was Poggle as well as a protocol droid.

"Leave us," growled Anakin.

The clones left as the ray shield was dropped. The Jedi Knights entered, and Anakin immediately had his hand out.

"You will answer my questions," said Anakin trying to use the Force to probe Poggle's mind.

Poggle then spoke as he made some clicking sounds.

"Your feeble Jedi mind tricks do not work on Geonosians. The other Jedi already learned this," translated the protocol droid.

"Mind tricks?" said Anakin as he turned his back to the Geonosian. He then spun around as he hit Poggle and knocked him out of his chair.

"I don't need mind tricks to get you to talk," threatened Anakin as he was now stalking the Geonosian like prey.

Poggle continued to make clicking sounds.

"I will never talk, Jedi," translated the droid.

"We'll see about that, Poggle!" threatened the Jedi Knight as he was now Force choking the Geonosian.

Anakin was lifting the insect into the air as he was clutching his throat. Every second spent was a second he was close to approaching death. The look and anger on Anakin's face were on full display as the Jedi Knight was willing to do whatever it took to make Poggle talk. Even to the point of death. Storm was nearby as he stood there with his arms crossed. For the boy, he was just letting his friend do his thing as he had anger on his face as well. Soon Poggle glanced in Storm's direction. The look he was giving the boy was almost like a plea for mercy and assistance.

Storm growled as soon he saw the image of Twilight.

"Storm!!" called out the mirage-like image of the princess.

"Twilight!" said the boy as he put his hand out and the image disappeared.

At that moment, Storm's expression soften. He took a deep breath as he approached Anakin and yanked his arm away to stop his grip on the Geonosian.

"What are you doing?! We need him to talk!!!" shouted Anakin to his friend.

"But this isn't the way," spoke Storm with reason in his voice. "I want to save the girls too, but remember Anakin. We're Jedi. We need to do things by the code. I want to save them, but what good will it do, if Poggle is dead?"

Anakin was listening to his friend as he still had his arm around his wrist. Soon he put it down as Storm released his hold of his friend before they looked back at the Geonosian who was on his hands and knees trying to refill his lungs with oxygen.


Back with the girls, they were running as they slid to stop themselves to allow them to turn and run down the hall. Currently behind them was Barriss as the padawan managed to find them and was chasing them. Barriss thrust her hand out as she used the Force to push against the girls' backs as they were running. They flew into the wall as Barriss was charging at them full speed. Both turned on their blades and blocked horizontally to stop her attack.

Both pushed back and kick the padawan a few inches back as they rolled out of her downward slash. They both turned and began to fight their friends as they blocked all the attacks and swings she was throwing at them. They turned the corner as they moved out of the way of Barriss' thrusts and lunges while backing up. While it would be easy to fight back, the girls were hesitant about hurting their friend. Especially for Twilight, who could overwhelm Barriss given her level of experience. For now, the girls merely did their best to not get hit.

Barriss went for a swing as both tucked into a ball to dodge out of the way while standing in place and then did a double leg sweep to knock their friend to the ground. They soon ran down the hall and turned the corner. They came to the vent where Twilight and Barriss first dropped in as the pair jumped up into the vents. Barriss then appeared a few seconds after as the padawan kept on running down the hall.

Back with the other group, the Jedi Masters were all talking with one another as soon the door opened, and in came Anakin and Storm.

"We made contact with Ahsoka," said Storm.

"What's their status?" asked Luna.

"Geonosian parasites have infected her crew," responded Anakin as he went to the computer panel behind them.

"How did they get on board her ship?" asked Kenobi as he thought they were destroyed when they collapsed the Geonosian temple.

"Poggle said the parasites must have needed a new host after we raided the Queen's temple," explained Anakin to his master.

"You both interrogated Poggle?" stated Luminara. That got the attention of the Jedi Masters as they were shocked.

"We did. There wasn't time to get the rest of you," responded Storm.

"How did you get him to talk?" asked Master Mundi.

"Look, all that matters is that he told us how to stop the worms," answered Anakin.

Back with the girls, they were still in the vents as the clones marched below them. They watched them walk by as the padawan then contacted using her comlink.

"This is Ahsoka. Come in."

"Ahsoka, listen to me. The worms are affected by the cold," said Anakin as he received his student's transmission.

"Cold? That's how we stop them?" stated Twilight.

"Sparky?!! Man, am I glad to hear your voice? You okay?" asked Storm as he overheard the princess.

"I'm fine, Storm."

"Anyways, we found a way to deal with the bugs. Rupture the coolant system!" shouted the boy.

The girls immediately back up from the vent as a clone was passing by. He looked up as he thought he heard something. He was looking at the vent as if he was scanning to see if the girls were there. Once he finished his look, he then continued on his path.

"Did you hear us? Rupture the cooling system!" repeated Anakin.

"The coolant system. Got it," said Ahsoka to her teacher.

The girls then took off the vent as they did a quick scan of the area before dropping down. They looked behind them to see no one. The two then began to run as they made their way to their destination. In another part of the ship, Barriss was still trying to find the girls.

The pair made it to the cooling system as they entered and the door closed behind them. They made their way to the system as they began to push some buttons. The last thing they did was pull the lever as the whole system shut down as it turned dark as cold air began to blow. The girls felt the effects immediately as their breaths showed. In the cargo hold, the clones also saw this as cold air began to fill the room. At that moment, their ship exited hyperspace.

"That's Ahsoka's ship. It just came out of hyperspace. Send out the tugs to help guide them in." said Master Fisto as he saw the hologram of the ship.

Two ships now exited the medical station as they were heading towards the frigate.

"Warn all medical hazard crew that we don't want anyone boarding that ship until the parasites are contained. Sound all the alarms and prepare the subzero conduits!" shouted Celestia as she was worried for the girls and her student.

The ships sent out were near the frigate and began to help guide the ship.

"Engage tractor beam," said one of the pilots. The other pilot then touched some buttons on the screen as it came online.

Inside the ship, Ahsoka and Twilight were running toward the cockpit. All around, cold air was blowing through the ship as they both stopped for a moment to rub themselves in an attempt to keep warm.

"There you are. You can't hide from me," said Barriss as the girl appeared behind them as she turned the corner.

The padawan turned on her lightsaber as both girls jumped back into the vent they emerged from to escape. With the infected clones, the worms were feeling the freezing temperatures as they shrieked. They lost control of their hosts as the clone collapsed to the floor. The girls then exited from the vent as they saw what was in front of them.

"The bridge, at last," said Twilight as she and Ahsoka got out still freezing.

They approached the panel on the side as the door opened. They both entered the bridge as they sat down and began to push some more buttons.

"We're coming in awfully fast. This is Ahsoka Tano. Can you hear me?"

"We're shutting down the engines. I'll try to reverse the--"

Twilight didn't finish her sentence as Barriss appeared suddenly behind Ashoka. She swung her blade as the padawan moved out of the way as the lightsaber hit the control panel. It made the whole ship jump as both girls swung over the top of their seats to avoid Barriss' attacks. One of the pipes from above spray cold air in her face as she screamed. The whole ship turned when Barriss struck the control panel.

"I'm having a hard time slowing her down!" said one of the pilots.

"There's no one at the controls. The pilot must be dead," said the other pilot.

"Sir, she's listing," said a navigator to the Jedi Masters.

"The escort ships must maintain control," said Fisto.

The girls were still moving to avoid Barriss attacks as they all moved slowly due to their body temperatures dropping. They both grabbed the pipe and aimed it at Barriss' face. The girl screamed as the worm inside of her crying in pain. She fell to the floor as both girls slumped into their seats. They stared at their friend as she got to her hands and knees.

"Kill me, please," pleaded Barriss to her friends as the worm was trying to gain control of her.

Ahsoka gasped when she heard that. She looked at Twilight hoping the Jedi Knight would have the answer as the princess merely agreed with the padawan by nodding.

"I... I can't," said Ahsoka.

She then got up and leaned over the control panel to see the medical station just moments away. She turned around as Barriss now grabbed her by the shoulders. Twilight was in no condition to help her friend as all she could do was watch. The two padawans struggled as Barriss pinned Ahsoka against the control panel. Her mouth opened as the worm was shown as it looked to infect the girl she had in her hands.

Ahsoka delivered a punch to Barriss to get her off. She then kicked her once more as she traveled under the leaking pipe and turned on her lightsaber. She approached her friend as Barriss clutched her head with the worm coming out of her mouth. The padawan looked at Twilight as she gave a nod. The girl looked back at her friend in pain as she was having a hard time doing what was requested. The look in Barriss, she just couldn't bring herself to do the job. She couldn't bring herself due to her friendship with Barriss. A scream erupted from Barriss as Ahsoka raised her blade and then brought it down swiftly as the cry was no more.

"Full power now. Now!" shouted the pilot.

Both ships pulled hard on the steering wheel as they managed to successfully slow the ship down and park it.

"We got her. We got her. Attach the subzero conduits." said the other clone pilot.

"The temperature's below freezing, sirs," said the navigator to both Jedi Masters.

"Let's board, then, but stay on guard. They may still be dangerous," stated Fisto to the two clones that would be accompanying them.

The station then extended its pathway to the ship. The doors opened and in came Master Fisto as they entered the bridge. He saw the sight that lay before him. On the floor was the brain worm as it was cut in half. Pass that were the girls as Barriss was in Ahsoka's lap as the girl comforted her friend. Next to them was Twilight as the princess held her journal close to her body. The Jedi Master then bent down to look at the girls.

"Hello, Master Fisto. We're ready to pick up the supplies," said Ahsoka as she shuddered and then closed her eyes.

"We'll take care of that. You rest now, Ahsoka," said the Jedi Master.

Celestia then entered as she saw the girls. She then looked over to see Twilight as she bent down to her level.

"M-M-Master..." spoke Twilight trying to gain the last bit of consciousness before she passed out from body temperature.

"Shh. It's alright, Twilight," spoke the Jedi Master as she was using her motherly voice to address her student.

"I-I-I..."

"I'm proud of you. You did a good job," smiled Celestia.

"I... have my report for you," said the Jedi Knight as she present her journal to her master before passing out.

"I'll be sure to read it," stated Celestia keeping her smile. She then brought her hand to Twilight's head as she rubbed it.

The Jedi Master then picked up her student into her arms. Twilight's head rested on Celestia's shoulder as the Jedi Master was treating her student like she was her daughter. Soon everything went black.


The scene changed to the medical station's infirmary as someone was laying in bed. They opened their eyes as Anakin was sitting in a chair looking out at space. The person in the bed was Ahsoka as she suddenly sat up and gasped. Anakin saw this as he approached his student.

"It's all right, Ahsoka. It's okay. You're safe."

"Barriss?" asked the girl calmly as she laid back.

"Barriss is fine, thanks to your efforts," said the Jedi Knight as he looked to the side as there laid the girl also recovering in bed. "And so are the clones."

"What were those things?" asked the padawan.

"I think I can help answer that," called out Master Fisto as he was walking into the room. "We had the parasite worms analyzed. They are the same type of creature you found on Geonosis, Master Skywalker."

"We'll have to inform the troops on Geonosis. This parasite might explain how they recaptured the planet the first time. I don't want it happening again." said Anakin.

"You have been through quite an ordeal, little one," said Fisto looking at Ahsoka.

"Master Skywalker, may I have a word?" asked Ahsoka as Fisto left the two to talk. "Master, on the ship, Barriss was gone, and she wanted me to kill her. Twilight agreed. She told me--"

"But you couldn't do it," said Anakin as he knew what his student was going to say.

"No. No, I couldn't. But should I have?" asked the girl. "I mean, it worked out now, but if we had failed, if the ship docked and the worms spread, and..."

"Ahsoka, it's your duty to save as many lives as you can. Barriss knew you could save thousands if the worms were destroyed, which she thought meant destroying her too. But you did the right thing. You knew the freezing cold would kill the worms." said Anakin as he got up from sitting on the bed to look at Barriss. "Letting go of our attachments is a difficult struggle for all of us. You followed your instincts. I'm sure she would agree that you made the right choice."

Anakin then proceeded to leave as Ahsoka looked at Barriss. The girl smiled as she then looked out of the window and saw a Republic cruiser.


In another part of the station, Twilight was shown laying in bed.

"Come on, Sparky! Open your eyes for me!" said Storm as he sat next to the girl's bed and held her hand. Standing against the wall was Celestia as she too awaited to see her student wake.

Soon a moan was heard. The princess now opened her eyes as she blinked.

"Sparky?"

"Storm?"

"Sparky!!" said Storm as he pulled the girl in for a hug.

Twilight smiled at being embraced by her partner as she too wrapped her arms around him. Celestia smiled as she was pleased to see her student was alright as she began to approach the teens. They still held their hug as both were just happy to know the other was safe.

"That's twice you've had me worried in a few days," chuckled Storm as he pulled back from the hug to look at his partner.

"Sorry," giggled Twilight looking at her partner.

"Don't be. If anything, I should be sorry. I wasn't there to keep you safe."

"You had no way of knowing this was going to happen. So don't beat yourself up for something you can't control. Besides, I hung in there and never gave up. Just like you're always telling me." said Twilight as she once again grabbed Storm's hand, but this time, she interlocked their fingers with each other.

The boy saw it as he smiled. Soon Celestia cleared her throat.

"Master?"

"I'm proud of you, Twilight. You showed great courage and leadership while in danger."

"Thanks," smiled the Jedi Knight to her teacher.

Celestia simply put her hand to Twilight's head as she rubbed it. The Jedi Master then planted a kiss on her forehead as she pulled her student in for a hug as she once again showed her motherly side to the princess.

"Now... get some rest. You deserve it," said Celestia as she began to leave the teens alone.

Twilight saw her master leave the room and she then looked back at Storm. The two partners held their smiles at each other as their fingers were still locked together. Storm then unhooked his fingers from the princess as he still had their pinkies connected.

"Promise?" wondered the boy.

"Promise," answered the girl.

The Jedi Knights remember the oath they made as they intended to see it through to the end. Watching the entire interaction that went down was Luna. The Jedi Master stood outside of the room as she glanced from afar seeing her student and sister as they waited for Twilight to wake up. Once the princess gained consciousness, she saw Storm immediately hug the girl. She growled upon seeing that and even more when she saw their hands intertwined. The Jedi Master scoffed as she turned to leave. She was walking to the end of the hall and about to turn the corner when a voice called out to her.

"Twilight is safe!" spoke Celestia as she was shown standing behind Luna who had a serious demeanor on her face.

"Yes, she is. You must be relieved," said Luna not even looking at her sister.

"I am. But let me make this clear, Luna. You threaten Twilight in any capacity, you will answer to me, little sister!" stated Celestia as her voice echoed around them.

"Then she should stay out of Storm's way when I preparing him for his destiny. I'm preparing the boy for what fate has already foretold him to be. He's to be a Jedi Master. And he does not need a distraction, especially a liability, big sister! So I advise the princess to remember her duty that she needs to take care of. She needs to keep her hands off of Storm, and stop dragging him into her personal drama." growled Luna now turning her head to look at Celestia.

Luna proceed to walk as the sounds of her footsteps echoed until they faded. Celestia stood there watching her sister disappear as she held her scowl. The tension between both Jedi Masters, both sisters was there. They both wanted what was best for their students. Celestia looked back to the room to see Storm talking with Twilight as she sighed and smiled a bit more at seeing the relationship that was forming between the two. She then soon wiped it off as a serious frown appeared on her face. She remembered that she was a Jedi Master. And as a Jedi Master, she had a duty to uphold at all times. Especially, her pupil's relationship with her partner.

Author's Note:

And so ends the Geonosian story arc. This and the last four chapters were all part of the same story which is one of the longest the show has done.

And for all the Star Wars fans, May the Fourth be with you.

PreviousChapters Next