• Published 27th Apr 2021
  • 909 Views, 1 Comments

Tired Of It All - TheSuperTransformerFan



What if Rarity shut down her Canterlot Carousel store and gave up on her rules all because of one dress? An alternate ending to Canterlot Boutique

  • ...
4
 1
 909

Too Much Of A Good Thing...

Rarity was in her designer room, working non-stop, just having completed her 200th dress. She couldn’t believe this was happening before her eyes. Her wish finally came true in the best and worst ways possible. She had managed to get her own boutique right here in Canterlot, and with that, she got her chance to share her love of fashion with the ponies in Canterlot, allowing her talent to shine through!

However, her manager at the boutique, Sassy Saddles, took one dress of the ‘Royal Regalia’ collection in huge interest, which was the ‘Reign In Stain’...otherwise known as the ‘Princess Dress’! That dress had sparked the boutique’s rise to fame, and Rarity had already filed 100 orders for the dress in itself! Sassy’s goal was for the Boutique to succeed, which was tough for Rarity, but she managed to get her job done and fulfilled.

She got bored in producing the same dress hundreds of times, and decides to give some new changes to the dress. But, unfortunately as she shown her new version of the dress, the customer wanted the dress to be the same, which made the fashionista heartbroken! Her dreams of creating unique dresses were falling apart before her eyes, and she was almost about to pop a vein if just one more thing ever involved the Princess Dress.

She was working on the dresses, when her manager came in, feeling more excited than ever. “Raving rick-rack, Rarity!” Sassy chirped. “You made two hundred Princess Dresses!”

“Yes. Isn't it spectacular?” Rarity said, deadpanned as if she had no interest in what her manager had to say.

“And I have a special surprise for you!” She said, gleefully, showing her a Cosmopolitan-like magazine with Rarity on the cover. “The latest issue of Cosmare magazine just hit the stands!”

"Canterlot's newest rising star"? Rarity asked, tired and deadpanned at the same time.

“And in the hour since the magazine's come out, we've gotten another hundred new orders for the Princess Dress!” Sassy continued, as she levitated the order papers for the dress over to the red order bin, piling them up high.

Rarity was shocked, tired and stressed as she saw this before her eyes. 100 more orders for the same dress?! “One... hundred more... Princess Dresses?!” Feeling a combination of all those feelings at once. “I'm the Cosmare cover pony... I have the most successful shop in Canterlot... I've gotten everything I ever wanted... but I'm miserable!” She felt sad, as it broke her heart to say those words.

Sassy just let out a short chuckle. “How could you possibly be miserable?” She asked happily. “My pattern is perfect! Cosmare Cover Pony – done! You have your signature gown, the Princess Dress of Success!” She checked off a box on her paper.

Rarity was almost at her breaking point, as she saw the orders that needed to be filled. She just couldn’t believe it! “I don't want to make another hundred Princess Dresses!” she cried out, both tired and saddened.

“I have a piece for that!” Sassy said, ignoring Rarity’s complaints, as she moved on the the next chart on her paper. “Assemble the Assembly Line! You'll never have to sew again!”

Rarity was shocked. She couldn’t believe her own manager was thinking her career had no flaws, whatsoever, ensuring that the dream was achieved. “What?! No!” she wailed out in horror.

“Yes!” Sassy said happy with pride, once again ignoring her worker’s complaints. “Then the Canterlot Carousel never closes! And Sassy Saddles' boutique succeeds!”

That was the last straw for Rarity, as she had finally reached her limit. She had enough! It was time to lay down her hoof! “Stop!” she screeched at her with rage in her voice. “This is not your boutique! And if this is what success in Canterlot looks like, I want no part of it!” She snatched the dresses from Sassy and threw them down in a huff.

“Now, make up flyers for a going-out-of-business sale!” She shouted at her, angrily. “I'm closing Canterlot Carousel!” she started to leave.

Sassy was shocked that Rarity was planning on shutting down her own dream. It was now her turn to freak out after she had heard this! “What?! No! Oh, you can't, Rarity!” She cried out, trying to reason with her. “I-I've worked too hard to make this a success! I can't be a part of another failed boutique!” But, it was too late. Rarity was already out the door, and Sassy felt like she wanted to wallow away in sadness, eating a tub of ice cream and pizza, just like Rory Gilmore would.

Rarity immediately took down all of the princess dresses, and replaced them with different unique dresses from the dress room. Once she had finished, she had admired one of them in their true beauty. “Oh, don't you look lovely?” She asked herself to a dress. “Nice to see you out here again.” She looked to see Sassy, in dismay as her head was bowed down. “Seems Sassy Saddles isn't rushing to open the door this time. Hm.”

She opened the door to greet the ponies in her own way. “Welcome to Canterlot Carousel.” she said, as many ponies rushed in to see the new kinds of dresses the store had.

Rarity watched the ponies gaze at some of her new dresses, and she smiled weakly. This was definitely what she had wanted. Not some repeat of the Princess Dress incident.

“Hey, is this Princess Dress on sale?” Pretzel asked her curiously.

“Oh, no, I'm sorry, the Princess Dress has been discontinued.” Rarity answered calmly, and confidently. “But there are plenty of other lovely dresses on sale today.”

Moonlight Raven was taking a gander at one of the Royal Regalia dresses, that had a design like Luna’s. “Whoa. This dress completely speaks to my soul.” She said flatly, as she asked Rarity. “Can I try it on?”

“Certainly.” Rarity answered, handing her the dress. “The dressing area is right back there.” She showed her the area, as she left to try on the dress.

Sunshine Smiles saw another dress that had the likeness of Celestia. “This is the most amazing of amazing dresses!” She squealed happily. “Just looking at it brightens my day!”

“And I'm sure you'll feel even brighter once you try it on!” Rarity replied, handing her dress, as the customer went to the dressing room.

“Do you still have this In-spire-ation dress that's in the new issue of Cosmare?” North Point asked, walking up to Rarity.

“Oh, yes, I do. It's-It's right here.” Rarity answered, as she handed it to her.

North Point saw it, and was excited. “Bats in the belfry! I have to try it on!” she said in excitement as she went over to the changing room.

Moonlight Raven was admiring herself with the dress in the mirror, and smiled. “Whoa.” She said, flatly and happily. “This dress makes me feel like a princess.”

“And this dress makes me feel like a princess!” Sunshine Smiles said, hugging Moonlight close to her in excitement.

Sassy watched as other ponies praised Rarity’s dresses. She was surprised upon seeing this as Rarity was talking to another customer. “This gown is quite beautiful, but it totally clashes with my complexion.” Citrus Blush told her.

Rarity thought about it, and got out another dress from the making room. “Perhaps you'd be even more taken with this one.” She said, showing her a fountain that had a water gown, and fountain look. “It was inspired by the fountain in the Canterlot Castle garden. I call it the "Fountain of Truth"!”

“It's exactly what I've been dreaming of!” Citrus cried out in excitement as she saw it.

“Oh! Well, then I'll finish it, and the gown shall be yours!” She put the dress back to get it ready for her customer who was already excited for it to begin with. She was so excited with her progress, that she let out a tear of joy. “How can I have forgotten?” She thought to herself. “This is what I've been dreaming about!” She then shifted from happiness to a little uneasy nervousness. “It may be my last day keeping this store open...but, at least the ponies here are adoring my dresses while every second counts.

She smiled to herself as she saw them try on her dresses, enjoying them, and wanting to buy them. She even helped some customers out, by putting them in dresses that they all would adore, and they enjoyed every minute of it. She was proud of her progress that she decided to make her announcement.

She opened her mouth. “Attention, everypony! While this store has all the dresses you’ll ever adore, and enjoy wearing for the best fashion...” she felt a lump in her throat as she started to tear up saying these next words. “I’m sorry to say that Canterlot Carousel will be closing!”

The crowd all gasped in horror as they heard these words, and started talking amongst themselves. They didn’t feel that it was right to shut the store down, especially since the dresses she sold today were so beautiful. “What?!” Sunshine Smiles asked in shock. “You’re shutting down this very store??”

Rarity bowed her head down. There was no way out of this one. “Yes.” She said sadly. “Yes, I am. But, these dresses are still for sale.” She spun her hoof around the interior of the place. “Take a good long look at this store before you go.” She started to tear up. “It will be your last.”

The customers looked at each other sadly with empathy, and weren’t expecting a thing like this to happen. Moonlight Raven looked around at the interior, before turning to Rarity. “I’m really sorry your store didn’t originally go the way you thought it’d go.” She said, trying to cheer her up.

“Yeah!” North Point added. “Your store was such a great fashion store to begin with!” She patted her nicely, showing a caring face. “I’m sorry the Princess Dress cost you your success.”

“Plus, these dresses are the cat’s meow!” Sunshine added as well. “I can understand why you’d shut it down all because of one too-popular dress.”

Cayenne walked up to her, and looked like she was ready to say something to her. “I’m really sorry, I criticized your dress just because it had different gems on it.” She apologized, as she showed her unique version of the princess dress. “I take back what I said, Rarity. You really do make the best unique dresses, even if they’re not what people wanted.” She smiled. “That’s why all your dresses are completely one-of-a-kind. Not just the one dress.”

Rarity looked up, and saw her customers smiling at her. They believed that she tried her best, and that was what really mattered. “You see, Rarity?” Moonlight asked, smiling at her. “Even though, things didn’t go you way, you still managed to make the impossible possible. That’s what they really want.” The others smiled with her in agreement.

She smiled back at them, happily. “Thank you, Everypony.” She told them. “I’m so glad you appreciated my dresses. I just wish I could have shared them with you early.”

Sunshine, and the others roped her in for a hug. “Well, now you did.” She said, as the others smiled at her. Rarity smiled back, as they had given her a happy ending to her beautiful career.

As she embraced in this moment, Sassy came down to her sadly. “Oh, Rarity, I'm so sorry.” Sassy confessed. “I focused on that one dress, and the rest of Rarity's Royal Regalia paid the price.”

“Well, so did the Princess Dress.” North Point said to her, a little peeved. “The more you made her sell, the more each dress lost its time, love, and couture, becoming terrible, lackluster, and common.”

“And, by doing that, you made this fashionista’s career collapse before your eyes, because you didn’t listen to a word she had to say!” Citrus said, pointing a hoof at her. Sassy’s ears dropped in sadness, as realized it was all on her. There was no going back.

“The important thing to do at each store is to listen!” Cayenne said to her. “And, you did none of that with her at all!”

“You oughta be ashamed of yourself, Sassy Saddles for even ignoring to Rarity, and her own ideas!” Sunshine scolded, mad at her.

“You deserved it!” Moonlight said, giving her a death glare that said it all.

Sassy bowed her head down in sadness. “You’re right.” She said sadly. “All I wanted was for this store to be a success, and all I did was tear its work down the drain. I think I finally understand the Rules of Rarity... and will apply them at my next job.” She started to walk in the dressmaking room.

“Your rules will always have a place in the fashion line. I just hope that the next store I manage followers your rules.” She cried as she left. “Why is it every boutique I manage winds up like this?!

Rarity was mortified upon seeing her manager like this. She wanted to tell her that she could stay and manage the store, while she was in Ponyville, and explain that her rules were to be applied here, and only here. But alas, she couldn’t. She just couldn’t bring herself to say it to her. She wondered if she ever made the right decision.

Later that day, she shut down the store, locked up the rooms, and emptied the areas. She took one last look at her own store she had worked so hard to create, now a lifeless hulk of nothingness as she left to head back to the train station. Her friends arrived, and she told them everything that happened: The Princess Dress, the closing-down sale, the ideas that were rejected easily...she told them all of it. And her friends were shocked upon hearing that her hard work was halted, just because of one successful piece of dress work.

“You did what?!” Fluttershy asked in shock.

“But, having your own successful fashion store in Canterlot was your dream!” Rainbow wailed.

“Not anymore.” Rarity told her friends regretfully, as she bowed her head down, not wanting to show her face after what happened.

“I’m sorry, Rarity.” Twilight said, comforting her. “We all knew how much this dream meant to you.”

“Thank you, Darlings.” Rarity said, with tears in her eyes, and smiling at her friends. They others looked to their fashionista friend with understanding. They may not have agreed with her decision, but they resolved to do whatever it took to help her through it. After all, that's what friends are for.

As Rarity, and her friends left the station, a morbidly obese pony walked to the store beaming with delight. "Oh my gosh, A sale!" She cried in excitement. She started to head in, only to find that the door was locked. Confused, she looked at the windows, and was surprised to see that the store had gone out of business. “What?!” She asked in shock. “The store’s out of business?! Aw, man! How am I going to find a beautiful dress like the Princess one to wear now???” She pouted sadly, as walked away from the store, looking back at it, hoping for a chance that would never come for her to try.

In Ponyville, back at Carousel Boutique, Rarity was sketching out her designs for her latest new summer line. Although she was working in some new local dresses, she felt an uncomfortable feeling in her gut, as she found herself just staring out the window to the gates of Canterlot. Canterlot Carousel…her dream for the future…it was all but gone. She just sighed as she got back to work.

Although no pain in her chest followed, the fashionista did feel a weight settle on her back at that little fact.

Just then, the door opened as Pinkie walked into her room. “Rarity? Are you alright?” She asked her friend sympathetically.

She looked up to see the pink pony standing beside her, and forced herself to smile. “Yeah, I…thanks for helping me feel better, Pinkie.” She said weakly as she smiled.

In response, the other mare giggled and smiled back. “Oh, Rarity! It’s alright.” She said peppy, before switching her emotions back to understanding and sympathy. “I just wish you could’ve had your store open a bit longer to let your creativity ‘shine throughout all Equestria’!”

“Yeah.” Rarity said a little bummed and a little happy. “It’s too bad that Sassy Saddles’ idea for an assembly line cross the fashion line, and cost me my newfound fame.”

“I know!” Pinkie said, understanding how her friend felt. “Who knew Sassy wouldn’t be a good help with running your store if she’s only got her heart set on one dress, and nothing else?”

“How dare you?!” Rarity shouted at her, like she had lost her marbles. “Sassy Saddles was the manager of fashion in Canterlot! She had ideas to the ONE dress and you knew that!!!”

“Rarity, lighten up!” Pinkie said, surprised that she was acting this way. “I was just stating my opinion.” She crossed her arms seriously to show that she meant business. “That’s all!”

Rarity calmed down, as soon as she heard what her friend said. “Yes, well I see that now.” She admitted. “ Sassy wanted to make my store a success, but the rest of my Regalia collection paid the price as well as the dress. And, let me tell you...that assembly line was going to get nowhere.”

“Sometimes, let’s just face it.” Pinkie said to, smiling. “Commercial success is the death of creativity!” Rarity gasped in horror at that, until Pinkie gave her a reassuring pat on her back. “Just joking!”

The two mares looked at each other, and shared a laugh because sometimes, when you’re feeling down, and life gives you lemons, you make lemonade...and just laugh! And, that’s what they did in this moment, even when some light needed to be shed on this past moment of despair.

“Thanks.” She said, putting her hoof on Pinkie’s arm. “For you and the others for helping me feel better.” She sniffled a little bit, but regained control of her emotions. “I guess some stuff just doesn’t hold up.”

"So, Rarity?" Pinkie asked in an uncharacteristically quiet tone.

Rarity looked at her. Pinkie hesitated to ask what she needed to, but did so all the same.

"How do you feel?"

The white unicorn considered this, then slowly gave a small, comforted smile. Once, her career was a fashion empire she'd dreamed of being a part of. Now, it was merely the simple message that taught her just how much she didn’t really need it.

"I actually feel rather great about this, Pinkie.” Rarity said, happily at her.

“You do?” The pink pony asked.

“Yes, I do.” The fashionista said to her. She looked out the window, showing the city of Canterlot, as a rainbow flew over it, and sighed.

“But, if that’s true...” she asked sadly, as she took in a deep breath, and saw where she once had her dream come true, and then shattered. “Then, how come I already regret it now?”

Author's Note:

That’s all for this alternate ending fic. Wow, Rarity really hit rock bottom after that! It’s a shame. She was just starting to prosper through her fashion fame. She could’ve kept it open, to shine though out Equestria, but...having an assembly line in the store. Understandable. Y’know, if I had my ideas bulldozed by someone who had their ideas and didn’t listen to a word I said and remained oblivious, I’d totally be pissed too. I’m right up there with ya, sister! Anyways, I’ve got another alternate ending fic coming up, which is my first alternate ending Pony Life fic! Whoo hoo! Get excited! Wonder how Pinkie will juggle her options between saving her friends, or attending the juggernaut tryouts? Well, you’ll just have to find out when this story comes out! More fics to follow. So, stick around!

Comments ( 1 )

The story was good, but was it really necessary to treat the obese pony like that? All she wanted was a dress and you locked her out in the cold.

Login or register to comment