• ...
72
 85
 615

PreviousChapters Next
Episode 67: The Final Face Off: Part 2

EPISODE SIXTY-SEVEN

The crowds were all at the edge of their seats, or rather ready to fall off their feet as they stood.

“This girl doesn’t have a chance.”

“There’s no way she can beat Masquerade now!”

“I can’t stop watching anyway!”


The Titans’ eyes were fixated on the big screen on the high-rise, unable to believe what they were seeing.

Kori remembered how it was when she faced Gar in the tournament. “He was already super strong back then. He completely crushed me out.

Now he’s playing more viciously than ever. It’s like his anger is reaching its ultimate peak. That’s no way for someone to duel!”

Raven remembered how she lost to Gar twice, and both times he really did her in badly.

She clenched her fists angrily, but maintained her cool so her powers wouldn’t go crazy.

It helped her to remember the computer files that were still uploading down inside. She wished they were finished by now as she thought, “The sooner they loaded, the sooner Gar’s going to fall from his high horse.

He deserves what’s coming to him and more for all he’s done!”

Poor Raven still refused to acknowledge her own faults and contributions to the way things turned out…

…And now he she was only making things worse!


Down inside the RV, the upload was still a long way from completion.

Terra finally woke up and sat upright in her bed. “Oh, my head!” she groaned. She felt dizzy and overcome with the way Gar had behaved and coupled with all the times he rejected her.




“You don’t deserve my help, and even if you did, I still wouldn’t give it to the likes of you… Traitors!”

“YOU HAVE NO BUSINESS BEING HERE… ANY OF YOU!!! AND SOON YOU’LL FIND OUT THE HARD WAY!!!”

“Get away from me…Traitor!”

“Things Change, Terra. The guy you want me to be is just a memory.”


She clenched the sheets tightly in her hands trying to suppress her pain so she wouldn’t fall again.

“I guess that’s it then.” she thought miserably. “I’m never going to convince him… never going to have him back.

He’s really changed, and he’ll never go back to the guy I once knew, and I helped make him that way!”

She felt so dry and clammy that she needed a cup of water.

She got up and got one, but then she noticed the computer screen. “What’s all this?” she wondered.

Then she gasped as she read the files.

They were loaded with information revealing Gar’s identity, his history with the Titans, Jump City, and everything else.

Once the upload was completed, Gar’s reputation would be compromised, and his career would most likely be in huge jeopardy-- maybe even end.

The upload was nearing 50% completion, but it still had a way to go.


Terra immediately assumed the worst! “How could they all do this to him?!”

She tried to hit the “Cancel” button, but a window popped up telling to “Enter Encryption Codes.”

“Ugh, Vic!” she grumbled. As much as she was part of the team, passwords and Encryptions were not shared among everyone. She didn’t know the codes, and there was no way she was about to waltz up to Vic and demand them, if the Titans were all behind this.

“Gar may be mean and spiteful, but he doesn’t deserve all this.” Terra thought, but she didn’t know how to stop the upload without the codes, and she wouldn’t dare just smash the equipment.

She needed help, and there was one person she felt could help her.

She quietly excited the RV. The Titans were too preoccupied on the roof watching the duel to notice, but Terra could see on the big screen broadcasting the duel. She could see the spectators on the sidelines, particularly Sci-Twi.


Terra then made her way past the crowd of people in the parking lot, round the other side of the building where there were no spectators watching.

Using her powers, she broke a huge chunk out of the pavement and lifted herself up towards the roof…


…Where Gar was still laughing and taunting at Sunset while his two monsters glared her down. “Even with all those cards in your hand, there’s much you can do, and you’ve only just begun to suffer the power of my Master Deck.”

Sunset was still struggling to come to grips with her situation, which worried her friends on the sidelines.

“Don’t listen to him, Sunset!” hollered Rainbow.

“Yeah, just try and keep dueling! You’ll find a way to outsmart him!” added Pinkie.

Sci-Twi wasn’t so sure; not with the way Sunset had been dueling so far.

She thought to herself, “I know it seems hard now, but there are ways she can get out of this… if she has the right cards, and the right way to use them.”

Suddenly, something caught the corner of her eye-- Terra, peeking her head up over the edge of the sidings.

No one else noticed her, not even Spike who was sitting beneath Sci-Twi’s seat. All were too preoccupied with the duel.

Sci-Twi would have hollered to Terra, had she not noted the way she was looked straight at her, and making signals with her hand, and whispering quietly forcing Sci-Twi to read her lips.

“Come down to the Ladies room. I need your help!”

Sci-Twi raised an eyebrow. She didn’t want to leave the duel, but given how desperate Terra seemed, she got up and headed for the door.

“Twily, where are you going?” asked Shining Armor.

Terra ducked down low to avoid being seen by anyone else.

“Oh, uh… nature’s calling.” Sci-Twi lied, “Keep me posted on the duel, I’ll be back in a bit.”

Spike was confused, but he was just as fooled as everyone else. “Well, when you got to go, you got to go.”

Some of the girls were not as convinced, but then they turned back to the duel when they saw Sunset standing tall and fiercely, with her hair blowing in the breeze.

Even Gar was astounded…

“I’m not giving up, and that’s final!” Sunset insisted. “You may have me backed into a corner, but I’m not out of this duel, not by a longshot.”

Gar LP: 8000

Sunset LP: 6500

The crowds were astounded that she was still willing to go on.

Dick was glad she was as he thought, “Come on, Sunset-- win this duel and bring us that money.”


Sunset lay her fingers on her next card, “It’s my turn! Ha!” she pulled the card out…

She now had seven cards in hand, and a load of them were no good to her in her present situation.

She thought, “As long as he’s got Vanity’s Ruler in play along with that Flame Dragon, there’s not much I can do. So, the quicker I get rid of them, the better!”

“I activate Oafdragon Magician’s Pendulum Ability again, so I can once again add Purple Poison Magician back to my hand.”

Now she had eight cards in her hand.


“Hey, I thought Pendulum Cards were spell cards.” said Cadance. “Shouldn’t Gar’s dragon have blocked that card’s power.”

Shining Armor shook his head, “Black Flame Dragon can only negate spells when they are originally activated, but spells that are already in play can’t be stopped. Their effects can go through fine.”

Everyone turned to gaze at him with perplexed stares.

“What? I may not duel, but Twily talks about it a lot. You just pick things up.”



Gar quickly called to her, “I activate the trap, POWER BALANCE!”

“Ah!”

“Thanks to my trap, you now must send half the cards in your hand to the graveyard, and then I get to draw the exact number of cards you threw out!

Now, do it!”

Sunset was forced to send four cards in her hand away, while Gar drew four cards, giving them both equal hands.


“That wasn’t very nice!” complained Fluttershy. “Sunset had a full hand of options, and now she threw them all down.”

Rarity scoffed at Gar, “That is just like him to pull such an underhanded trick!”


Sunset didn’t seem deterred by this at all and continued her move.

“Now I summon TIMEBREAKER MAGICIAN!”

(Atk: 1400)

“I see…” hissed Gar. “You intend to use his power to banish one of my monsters?”

Sunset teased him, “You’re warming up.”

Gar snickered, “You take me for an amateur, I activate CALL OF THE HAUNTED. With this, I can bring back one monster in my graveyard, and who better than… CHAOS HUNTER!”

(Atk: 2500) -----> (Atk: 3000)

“Ah!” cried Sunset.

“I remember that card!” cried Rainbow, she referred to how Sci-Twi faced against it when she dueled Gar as Karle. “Now Sunset can’t banish any cards!”

Sunset growled.

“And it gets worse!” added Pinkie. “That sealy… orichy… whatever it is made that monster stronger. Sunset can’t attack it now because it has the same power as Vanity’s Ruler.”

“How did it even get into his graveyard?” wondered Celestia, but then she remembered. “He discarded it when he played his Cost Down!”

Applejack pulled on her hat in frustration at Gar. “This guy’s got more strategies than an army of soldiers!”

Sunset was only grinning, much to everyone’s confusion, even Gar’s.

“That’s slick, but let’s see how you deal with this; I activate the spell SPIRITUALISM!”

“What? Spiritualism!” snapped Gar.

“You know this card, don’t you?” teased Sunset. “This card lets me send one spell or trap card on your field back to your hand, and its activation can’t be stopped-- meaning your dragon block it!”

Gar growled.

Sunset eyed the Seal at first. “It’s tempting, but I have something better in mind. I’ll send Call of the Haunted Back to your hand.”

“Oh, no!” cried Gar.

Sunset flicked her long hair. “When Call of the Haunted leaves the field, your Chaos Hunter will have to go back to the graveyard.”

Everyone could see where this was going, and if it succeeded, Sunset would be right back in the game again, and it did work-- Call of the Haunted went back to Gar’s hand, and his monster vanished.


“All right!” cheered Sunset. “Now we’re starting to get somewhere.”

“I wouldn’t be so sure of that!” insisted Gar, “I activate my face down, HAND DESTRUCTION! Now we each discard two cards, and then we draw two cards to replace them.”

Sunset was confused by why he would play such a card like that, until she thought. “Oh, no! I think I know what he discarded.”

Gar thought to himself, “You can’t outwit me, kiddo. You should quit trying while you’re ahead.”

The Equestrians were all growing worried for Sunset-- They also had their suspicions of what Gar had discarded to his graveyard, which would really put Sunset at a disadvantage.

Spike was quivering miserably under Sci-Twi’s seat, also wondering where she was. “She’s been away for a while now. I hope she’s okay.”


When Sci-Twi made it to the Ladies Washroom one floor below the roof, she found Terra waiting for her by the open windows.

Thankfully, the washroom was completely unoccupied, because no one saw Terra on her floating rock, and she explained to Sci-Twi the situation.

Sci-Twi snuck out the window onto the floating rock, and Terra levitated them both back down to the ground-- still unnoticed by anyone, not even the Titans.

“Does Gar ever run out of options?!” groaned Kori.

Raven was most outraged, and she grumbled to herself, “How can he possibly have gotten all these skills, and all those cards? He doesn’t deserve any of it, and he never did!

People like him are only good for one thing, and soon he’ll get served with it hard!”

She gave Vic’s leg a soft tap with her shoe, telling him to check the upload.

Rather than going back inside, Vic looked at his wrist-com which was linked to the computer, and he showed her the screen-- the upload was nearing the 60% mark.

“Will you stop getting so anxious.” he scolded her.

Dick turned and asked, “What are you two mumbling?”

The two quickly played it cool. “Nothing.” Raven said. “We’re just shocked by the way Gar is dueling.”

Dick wasn’t so sure, but he turned back to watch the duel.


Terra and Sci-Twi snuck into the RV, and Sci-Twi couldn’t believe her eyes.

“You’ve got to help me stop this.” Terra begged but kept her voice to avoid being overheard.

As much as Sci-Twi wasn’t on good terms with Gar herself, she knew, “He doesn’t deserve to have his life taken away from him. That’s just what people did to him in the first place that made him how he is today.

If he loses everything, he’s bound to become so furious, who knows what he’ll do.”

She envisioned horrible thoughts of Gar becoming an insane, murderous freak, going around destroying cities, and hurting so many innocent people.

“Can you do something about this?” Terra asked.

“I’ll try.”

Terra felt her blood run cold. “You’ll try? But I thought you were smart with it came to things like this.”

Sci-Twi admitted, “Even the smartest of people in the world can have some difficulties. I’ve never seen encryptions like this, so it could take a while.”

Terra fretted nervously by the upload status, “I don’t think we have too much of a while.”

Sci-Twi got straight to work, nearly unable to believe she was trying to help Gar-- of all people-- and after all the suffering and humiliation he had put her and her friends through…

…But as an Equestria Girl, she knew this was the right thing to do.


“Well, are you going to make a move?” Gar asked, “Or have you finally accepted what I’ve known all along-- that Friendship and Faith are just falsehoods that relying on others is nothing but a waste of time!”

Sunset’s head was hanging low seemingly in defeat…

The Equestrians all thought for sure she had given up, until Twilight noticed, “…Is she smiling?”

…She was, much to everyone’s confusion, including Gar’s.

“If I were you, I wouldn’t be smiling.” he sneered, and Sunset spoke to him. “…Actually, if you were me, you would be smiling.

I know the joys of friendship. I know how to show gratitude to some people, and most importantly, I can see things you can’t… like how to escape from a totally hopeless situation.”

Gar was losing patience. “Will you just get on with it?!”

“With pleasure…!

I activate WINGS OF MISDIRECTION from my graveyard!”

“What?!”

“…By banishing this trap, along with Oafdragon and Stargazer Magician, I can grant Timebreaker an extra 800 attack points.”

(Atk: 1400) -----> (Atk: 2200)

“But that’s not all that happens… Wings of Misdirection now cancels out all the effects of every card you have in play!”

Gar growled as a large blast of wind blew across his field, rendering all his cards powerless, including the seal.

The seal’s light vanished, and all of Gar’s monsters lost their power bonus.

(Atk: 3000) -----> (Atk: 2500)

(Atk: 3500) -----> (Atk: 3000)

“WAAAA-HOOOO!!” Pinkie cheered as she bounced for joy. “Sunset disabled all of Gar’s cards! Now she can make a comeback like she always does.”

The others all felt as giddy and excited as she did.

Gar scoffed, “I see, you activated that trap because of my Power Balance sending it to the graveyard.

Too bad it’s not going to be enough to save you.”

“What do you mean?” asked Sunset.

Gar grabbed a card in his hand, “This is what I mean. Since I discarded MAKYURA THE DESTRUCTOR, I am now able to activate CALL OF THE HAUNTED straight from my hand.”


“I knew it!” thought Sunset “He did discard that card!”


Gar held out his arm shouting, “Once again, I am able to resurrect my Chaos Hunter from the graveyard!”

(Atk: 2500)

“Your Wings of Misdirection only affects my cards that were currently on the field, which means all other cards I play are free to use all their powers.”

Sunset growled.


“Just great!” grumbled Rainbow. “With that Chaos Hunter in play again, Sunset can’t banish her cards again, so her Timebreaker can’t use its power.”

“Well, at least all the other cards are still negated.” said Fluttershy. “Maybe she can still make that comeback after all.”


Sunset clenched her fist for a moment, readying herself for her next move.

“First, I’ll set Scale 1 WHITE WING MAGICIAN into the Pendulum Zone!”

She placed no other card alongside it, and before anyone could question her…

“Time for me to show you and the whole world what I’ve accomplished, and it starts with this spell… ODD-EYES FUSIONGATE!”


Gar gasped in shock, “I’ve never seen that card before!”

None of Sunset’s friends had, and neither had anyone in the crowds watching her, and they all began to chatter away.

“Where did she get that?”

“That card hasn’t even been released yet.”

“What’s going on?”


Rubeus was the only one to have a theory. “She must have created those cards with her dueling aura upon destroying the Malefic World.”


Sunset explained, “With Odd-Eyes Fusiongate, I can summon Odd-Eyes Pendulum Dragon from my Extra Deck, and Starving Venom Fusion Dragon from my graveyard, but their effects will be negated.”

The two dragons appeared at the same time and let out might roars.

(Atk: 2500)

(Atk: 2800)

“Even though they haven’t got their effects, that’s okay, because Fusiongate lets me use them both to Fusion Summon a brand-new monster.”

“Another Fusion?!” Gar bellowed.

Sunset called to her two dragons, “Odd-Eyes, Starving Venom, let’s do this!”

The two monsters flew up high and crashed straight into each other, and Sunset called out a new chant as her new monster emerged…

“Strength of a dragon, and the might of the jungle,
Merge into a beast that makes the world rumble!

I Fusion Summon… ODD-EYES VENOM DRAGON!”

(Atk: 3300)

Everyone gawked in awe at the sight of this new dragon. It was not only a cross between a Fusion and Pendulum monster, but it had the resemblance of both of Sunset’s dragons.


“What a monster!” exclaimed Twilight.

“What a Fusion!” added Rarity.


Gar didn’t know what to feel more outraged for, the fact that this was a monster he had never seen, or that he was facing another Fusion Monster-- which he hated.


Sunset, feeling proud and confident declared, “Now I activate Odd-Eyes Venom’s ability; it can absorb the essence of one of your monsters, so it steals all its special abilities.”

Gar gasped and gawked at his Black Flame Dragon as Venom Dragon glared at it with his burning eyes, stealing its powers, and making the flames course through its body.

Sunset then teased, “Oh, and did I mention he also gains the attack strength of your monster?”

“What?!” snapped Gar.

(Atk: 3300) -----> (Atk: 6300)

The Equestrians were positively jumping with joy.

“Now Sunset’s dragon is the strongest monster is play!” exclaimed Celestia.

Luna agreed, “Now she is in control of the duel.”


Fluttershy leaned in closer with a questionable look on her face.

“What’s up?” asked Applejack.

Fluttershy pointed out and asked, “Um… maybe nothing, but… why is Sunset’s spell card still on the field?”

Everyone saw the spell card image and began to wonder the same thing.


Sunset only engaged her battle phase. “It’s time! Odd-Eyes Venom, attack Vanity’s Ruler!”

The dragon roared and charged forth to strike…!

“Nice try!” balked Gar “You forget that I can still use traps from my hand, such a this one… GHOST OF A GRUDGE!”

The field was suddenly shrouded in dark mist, and a swarm of angry ghosts encircled both of Sunset’s monsters!

“What’s happening?” cried Sunset, but then she got her answer as she noticed…

(Atk: 6300) -----> (Atk: 0)

(Atk: 2200) -----> (Atk: 0)

“…Their attack points!!”

The Equestrians all gasped in horror.

Gar snickered, “That’s what this trap of mine does. Since you have at least eight cards in your graveyard, my ghosts have sapped your monsters of all their points.”

“But Sunset just called an attack on Vanity’s Ruler!!” cried Cadance.

The dragon could not stop its attack, and Vanity’s Ruler countered…!

(Atk: 2500) VS (Atk: 0)

The dragon was destroyed in a big explosion that nearly knocked Sunset off her feet!

Sunset LP: 6500 -----> 4000

Rather than growl in outrage, Sunset snapped her head upright, revealing her grinning face. “When Venom Dragon is destroyed, it doesn’t go to my graveyard. He can straight into my Pendulum Zone by switching places with White Wing Magician.”

The two monsters switched places, and White Wing Magician jumped onto the field.

(Def: 1600)

“Is that all?” Gar asked.

“No, actually, that’s not!” insisted Sunset. “Now I get to use another effect of Odd-Eyes Fusiongate.

Since the monster I summoned with it got destroyed, I’m allowed to add a different spell straight my hand… ODD-EYES SYNCHROGATE.”

This was yet another card no one had ever seen before.

“I activate my spell right now…” Sunset declared “And just like before I get to summon Odd-Eyes out from the Extra Deck…

…But that’s not all. Now Clear Wing Synchro Dragon gets summoned from the graveyard!”

(Atk: 2500) x2

“And just as the name of the spell implies, now I get to Synchro Summon using both these monsters, while Odd-Eyes is treated as a Level 1 Tuner monster!”

“Not again!” groaned Gar, and he watched as Sunset engaged the process.

“Level 1 Odd-Eyes tunes with Level 7 Clear Wing…

Darkness falls as the dragon doth rise,
To cut my opponent down to size!

I Synchro Summon… ODD-EYES WING DRAGON!”

(Atk: 3000)

This new dragon shined so bright, and yet its angry roar nearly frightened everyone.

Gar was impressed at the sight of these new monsters, but he couldn’t help but think to himself, “How is she doing this? Where are all these new cards coming from?”

Sunset began to feel maybe she was reaching out to Gar, and showing him the error of his ways, but she didn’t lose sight of the duel.

“Now I activate Wing Dragon’s special ability; Now any and all monsters on your field that are Level 5 will be instantly destroyed!”

Gar actually cringed with sickening worry.

“Do your thing, Odd-Eyes!” shouted Sunset.

“Think again!” shouted Gar. “From my hand, I play the trap BAD AIM!”

“Not again!” groaned Sunset.

“Yes, again! This activates when you activate a card’s effect. Now I can destroy your dragon just like I did the other one!”

Odd-Eyes glowed brightly and exploded in a flash of sparkles, which only rose high up over Sunset’s field.

“Just like my other dragon, when it’s destroyed, it goes into my Pendulum Zone. So now my Pendulum Scale is set.”

Sunset was very pleased with the way things were going, while Gar was outraged, and all the crowds were astounded, shocked, and amazed!

“Now…” Sunset hollered “Since Wing Dragon destroyed, Synchrogate lets me add ODD-EYES XYZGATE to my hand.”

“Seriously?!” shouted Gar.

Sunset played her spell immediately. “Time to bring back good old Odd-Eyes, and while we’re at it, Dark Rebellion Xyz Dragon can also join us.”

(Atk: 2500) x2

“And as you may have guessed, I’m allowed to use both these dragons to Xyz Summon, and Dark Rebellion is treated as a Level 7 monster!”


Everyone watched in astoundment as Sunset did her work!

“I overlay these two Level 7 dragons in order to build the Overlay Network!


From deep within the rages of war,
comes a mighty beast with power to pour!

…ODD-EYES REBELLION DRAGON!”

(Atk: 3000)

Rainbow nearly jumped out of her seat exclaiming, “Whoa! That has got to be the coolest Xyz Summoning I’ve ever seen… and I’ve made plenty myself.”

“A-One to that…” agreed Applejack.


Gar growled in extreme outrage; he had no traps left in his hand to stop Sunset’s monster this time!

“I activate Rebellion Dragon’s special ability!” shouted Sunset. “Since he was summoned using an Xyz monster, and your Chaos Hunter is Level 7, she gets destroyed, and you take 1000 points of damage!”

“No!!” shouted Gar, but his precious monster was destroyed before his eyes, and the shockwaves sped past him.

Gar LP: 8000 -----> 7000

“YAY!!” cheered Pinkie. “She finally made him take damage!”

“This is positively exciting” squealed Rarity.


“It’s only going to get more exciting!” hollered Sunset. “Now Rebellion Dragon gets to attack three times this turn!”

Gar growled.


“But before he does, I activate Xyzgate’s other effect. By banishing it from the field, as well as Sycnhro and Fusiongate from my graveyard, Odd-Eyes gains 1000 extra attack points!”

(Atk: 3000) -----> (Atk: 4000)

“It’s time!” shouted Sunset. “Go Odd-Eyes, destroy Vanity’s Ruler!”

The dragon roared and prepared to engage.

“And while I’m at it, I activate Wing Dragon’s Pendulum Ability. Rebellion Dragon will now gain attack points equal to the monster he’s battling!”

(Atk: 4000) -----> (Atk: 6500)

“This can’t be!!” cried Gar.

“Check out all those attack points!” cried wailed Rainbow.

Twilight calculated all the math. “With all those points, and three attacks this turn, Sunset will win the duel!”

Everyone felt this was it, and even the crowds down in the streets were a mix of exactment and shock.

“Masquerade’s going to lose!”

“No one’s ever beaten him before!”

“We’re going to have a new champ!”


The dragon’s attack was getting nearer and nearer as everything went all bright before Gar!


To Be Continued…

PreviousChapters Next