• ...
72
 85
 615

PreviousChapters Next
Episode 66: The Final Face-off: Part 1

Author's Note:

At long last, since Yu-Gi-Oh E-Quest first began May 7, 2019...

After all these years, I've finally reached the LAST DUEL!!

EPISODE SIXTY-SIX

The two duelists stood at opposite ends of the ring. The soft breeze made his coat and her long hair flutter.

“I’ve been waiting for this, for quite a while.” Gar hissed at Sunset. “Ever since I first met you Equestrians, you’ve done nothing but make me sick with all your preaching about friendship.

Now I’m going to put you in your place once and for all, and make you think twice about the outlooks of life.”

Rather than fly off into a huge preach of her own, Sunset smirked and said, “It’ll be a great pleasure for me to prove you wrong.”


This was going to be a duel to remember!


“Begin the duel!” the referee shouted.


“LET’S DUEL!!”

Gar LP: 8000

Sunset LP: 8000

“Masquerade shall begin.” the referee declared.


Gar snickered, “With pleasure, and I summon one monster facedown in defense-mode, and then I’ll set two cards facedown and end my turn.

Now, go ahead and make your move, unless you need to confide in your “friends” first.”


Sunset felt enraged, and the Equestrians felt insulted.

“Why that rotten--” was all Spike could say before Sci-Twi picked him up and placed him in her lap, to stop him from speaking too loudly and alerting unknowing people.

“Come on, Sunset!” hollered Rainbow. “You can do this. Just knock this creep’s block off.”

“Yeah!” cheered Pinkie. “Just think, if you beat him, then you’ll be the world champion gamer. I’ll have to throw you the biggest party ever!”



Sunset remained calm and focused.

“It’s my draw…

And the first card I’ll use is, GARCEFUL CHARITY, so I draw three cards, and then discard two.”

She liked what she had drawn, and she knew immediately which cards to discard.


“I’ll use Scale 1 STARGAZER MAGICIAN and Scale 8 TIMEGAZER MAGICIAN to set the Pendulum Scale!”

The two magicians rose into the light, and the pendulum began to swing between them.

“I’m allowed to summon as many monsters between Levels 2 and 7 as I need.


“As the pendulum swings from forth to back
My monsters come forth… to launch an attack!

…Behold my monsters!”


Two shots of light rained down as her monsters appeared.

“HARMONIZING MAGICIAN…” (Atk: 0)

“ODD-EYES PENDULUM DRAGON…” (Atk: 2500)

Sunset held out her hand, “When Harmonizing Magician is Pendulum Summoned from my hand, I get to summon one Pendulum “Magician” from my deck.”

Her field began to glow as her new monster appeared. “Make way for DRAGONPULSE MAGICIAN!”

(Def: 900)

“Now I overlay him and my Harmonizing Magician in order to build the overlay network!

Cloaked in shadows and ready for the purge,
I call on the most dangerous of dragons to emerge.


I Xyz Summon DARK REBELLION XYZ DRAGON!!”

(Atk: 2500)

The crowds were growing tense at the sight of her two dragons.


“But hold on, I’m not finished yet.” she insisted “Next, I activate the spell DRAGON’S MIRROR!”

Gar growled softly.

“…This lets me banish ACROBATIC MAGICIAN and WISDOM-EYE MAGICIAN out of the graveyard in order to use them to Fusion Summon.”

Gar still loathed and despised Fusion with a passion, and watched as the two magicians nodded and leapt up into the air and began to merge.


“As the plant doth sprout, its venom shall drool,
This creature I summon shall roar and rule!


I Fusion Summon STARVING VENOM FUSION DRAGON!!”

(Atk: 2800)

Three dragons were now in play and standing side-by-side.


“Wow! She’s on a role!” cried Rainbow. “She’s got a Pendulum, Fusion, and Xyz Monster out.”

Rarity fanned herself with her hand. “I’m already sweating a storm here. What else could she do next.”

She got her answer when Sunset held up her last card “Since I have Odd-Eyes in play, I can reduce him to Level 4 in order to summon NOBLEDRAGON MAGICIAN!”

(Atk: 700)

“Hmmm…” said Gar as he gazed at the little Tuner Monster.


Sunset then held her arm way up high, “I Tune Level 3 Nobledragon Magician with Level 4 Odd-Eyes! Let’s bring out the last creature.

“Clear as the wind and swift as lightning,
I call upon a beast that is most frightening!


I Syncrho Summon CLEAR WING SYNCHRO DRAGON!”

(Atk: 2500)

The three mighty dragons hovered side-by-side behind her. Even though they were no longer in the Malefic World, and no dueling aura was shown, it was still a stunning sight to behold.


The crowds were going wild.


“I thought those dragons weren’t even released to the public yet.”

“How did she get them in her deck?”


“Ah, man!” cried Vic. “She just played all the dragons we all fought before!”

“I have to admit, that is kind of impressive.” remarked Raven.

Dick and Kori gawked in astoundment, and Kori nearly crushed her husband’s hand making him beg for mercy.


“Look at those monsters!” cried Luna. “I’ve never seen dueling like this before.”

Rubeus was impressed the most as he thought, “Sunset has nothing on the line anymore, and yet her skills are still top-notched. She has done well to be able to duel like this.”


Gar was the only one unimpressed by the summoning. “Is this the part where I’m supposed to feel outclassed?”

Sunset sneered at him, “Your entitled to feel however you like, but the real reason I summoned all these dragons was to show you how far I’ve come, because I keep believing in myself and my friends.”

She looked up and between her three dragons, and then reflected on her connection between them, her friends, and herself. “I wouldn’t be the great duelist I am now were it not for all the challenges I’ve faced.

My friends were always there for me, challenging me, and pushing me to be the best I could be, and thanks to them, I’ve mastered summoning and called on these three dragons.”


Her friends were all touched to hear her say such a thing.

“So, you’re still dueling on behalf of friendship?” said Gar. “…Just as pathetic as ever.”

Sunset growled at him, so did the Equestrians.

“Allow me to prove you wrong,” Gar shouted, “I activate my facedown card DEMISE OF THE LAND!

You let me play this card when you summoned your monsters, and now I’m allowed to activate one Field Spell from my deck, and I have the perfect one that will help me shut you and your friends up for good!

I activate THE SEAL OF ORICHALCOS!”

“The Seal of What?!” cried Sunset.

The entire field rumbled as a magical green circle of light emerged, enveloping the entire arena.

Gar let out a furious roar as if he was absorbing the seal’s power as a holographic image of seal appeared at the top of his mask.

“Unreal!” cried Sci-Twi. “I can’t believe he actually has that card!”

“Why?” asked Twilight “What does it do?”

Sci-Twi hesitated before saying, “I’m sorry, I can’t tell any of you.”

“What are you talking about?” asked Rainbow. “I thought you were the card expert?”

Sci-Twi shook her head, “You don’t understand, I made a promise to Sunset before the duel began.”


In a flashback, as everyone disembarked the airship, Sunset had pulled Sci-Twi to the sides to ask a favor.

“I want to try and win this duel all by myself.

I’ve got a bad feeling that Gar’s going to try and pull so slick strategies on me, and maybe even use cards I’ve never seen before.

So, please… don’t do any blabbing, okay?”

“But Sunset…!”

“No buts! I want to prove to Gar that Friendship is worth fighting for, but I want to do that in my own way; simply showing that having faith in myself and my friends is all I need rather than my friends whispering at me or giving me advice from the sidelines.

I know it sounds crazy, but this is how I want it.”


The friends were all shocked, except for Princess Twilight. She said, “If you made her that promise, you may as well keep it.”

“But that still doesn’t explain what that card does.” complained Rarity.

Everyone wanted answers, and Gar gave them. “This is the most powerful, most-deadliest Field Spell in the entire dueling world. So rare that they don’t even sell it in shops.

This card is only awarded to duelists who compete in the strongest of tournaments and prove they know how to play this card properly.

It’s just one of the many cards I keep in my Master Deck, and it’s not often that I use it.

As for what it does… well one of its great powers is that all my monsters will receive 500 extra attack points. Sounds neat, eh?”

Sunset was confused and thought to herself, “Five-hundred attack points? But his monster is in defense-mode, so if I attack it and it flips up, that won’t matter a bit if it gains any attack points.”

Then she realized, “Unless this is all part of a tricky setup.”


Gar was thinking quietly to himself as well. “Thanks to my seal, I have her right where I want her. Whether she attacks or not, I’m ready for her dragons.”

Even Sci-Twi was thinking silently, “Sunset better be careful. That seal has a few more special powers.”

She wanted to warn Sunset about the card… but kept her promise to her and stayed quiet.

Sunset had no other choice. “I can’t just stand here like this. I have to go for it. If I expose Gar’s strategy, I’ll be able to figure out ways to battle against it.

I’ve got to trust in myself and in my dragons to win this.”

She engaged her Battle Phase.

“Dark Rebellion, you’re up first. Attack that facedown card!”

The dragon complied and it rushed forth crushing the monster.

“You just destroyed GIANT RAT!” shouted Gar. “When Giant Rat is destroyed and sent to the graveyard, I am then able to summon an Earth Monster from my Deck, with 1500 attack points or less.

I choose to play HARDEN ARMED DRAGON!”

(Atk: 1500)

“And thanks to the seal I played, he gains an additional 500 attack points.”

(Atk: 1500) -----> (Atk: 2000)

“He’s still weaker than my other dragons.” said Sunset, but before she could declare an attack, Gar shouted at her, “I wasn’t finished. I now activate the trap FLAT LEVEL 4!

Since you destroyed my monster in battle, this trap allows us each to summon a Level 4 monster from our decks.”

“That’s weird.” thought Sunset. “Why would he allow me to summon a monster as well? It just gives me even more to use against him.”


Sci-Twi quivered nervously as she thought, “I see what Gar is up to.”

Sunset quickly chose a monster to play. “I summon Level 4 PURPLE POISON MAGICIAN!”

(Def: 2100)

“Is that all?” mocked Gar “Well, I summon forth SNIPE HUNTER!”

(Atk: 1500) -----> (Atk: 2000)

Suddenly, the two monsters on Gar’s field were shrouded by faint barriers created by the seal.

“What’s that?” asked Sunset.

Gar snickered, “Just another little power of the Seal. If I happen to control at least two monsters, then you are forbidden to try and make any attacks on the monster who has the lowest attack points.”

“Uh… but both your monsters have the same attack points.”

“Correct, which means, you are no longer able to attack either one of them.”

Sunset gasped in shock.

The Equestrians couldn’t believe this.

“No way!” cried Applejack. “He can’t do that… Can he?”

Sci-Twi nodded regretfully.

“Great! Just great!” growled Spike. “Now Sunset can’t attack anymore this turn.”

He was right. Sunset was totally out of moves and she had no other option.

“I end my turn.”


The Titans watched with mixed emotions.

“Come on, Sunset. Don’t give up.” Dick murmured.

“At least she still has the upper hand.” said Kori.


Gar snuffed and said, “Looks like Friendship is already starting to fail you, as usual!”

He drew his next card.

“Time for me to show you how not relying on friendship is far greater.

I activate Snipe Hunter’s special ability. By discarding one card from my hand, I get to roll a dice block.”

A magical die appeared and landed in Gar’s hands, and at the same time, a large cursor symbol appeared on Purple Poison Magician as Snipe Hunter took aim at it.

“If I should roll anything other than a 1 or 6, your dragon will be blasted to pieces!”

“Oh, no!” cried Sunset; knowing Gar’s extreme gaming skills, there was no way he could miss this.

“But before I actually roll, I have another surprise for you!” he hissed, and that’s when Timegazer Magician glowed and was sent off the field and back into Sunset’s hand.

“What happened?” she asked. “Why is Timegazer back in my hand?”

Gar snickered and revealed a card from his graveyard. “This is the card that I just discarded, TACKLE CRUSADER. Whenever it’s sent to the graveyard, its special ability allows me to return a spell or trap card on the field to your hand.”

Sunset cringed; this was getting worse by the second.

“Now then, here we go!” Gar shouted as he skillfully threw the large dice block, and no surprises, it stopped on 3. “Snipe Hunter, destroy that so-called “Magician!”

The monster fired a missile from his large gun, blowing the magician to ashes, leaving behind a large dark cloud of poison.

“Now you’ve done it!” Sunset sneered “When Purple Poison is destroyed, I can destroy one card you control.” She pointed straight at the Field Spell itself.


Sci-Twi immediately smacked her forehead in shame.


“Say goodbye to your seal!” Sunset shouted, and the cloud was launched on the card image enveloping it, to which Gar snickered, “Don’t be so sure.”

“Huh?”

Sunset then saw the cloud was vanquished in a burst of light coming from the seal. The card was not destroyed.

“It’s still there?” cried Pinkie.

“What’s going on?” asked Fluttershy.

Shining Armor looked at Sci-Twi, and the way she was clutching her drooped head and shaking it. “No, don’t tell me…!”

His sister nodded shamefully.


Gar laughed wickedly. “That was foolish! The Seal of Orichalcos can’t be defeated that easily. Once each turn, if you try to destroy it, the seal will simply defend itself.

How do you like that?”


Sunset growled in outrage. “That seal just keeps showing more and more power. Maybe I shouldn’t have told Twilight to keep quiet, but then again that would look like cheating anyways.

I’m going to find a way to take Gar down on my own.”


Gar then grabbed another one of his cards, “And now, prepare yourself to be completely crippled.

I tribute Snipe Hunter and Harden Armed Dragon to summon… VANITY’S RULER!”

(Atk: 2500) -----> (Atk: 3000)

“Empowered by the seal, not only is my Ruler stronger than any of your monsters, but as long as he remains out, you can special summon no creatures of any sort!”

Sunset’s eyes widened, and her heart skipped two beats! “No way! This can’t be happening!”

The Equestrians and the Titans couldn’t believe this.

Gar felt very pleased with himself. “It pays not only to study cards and how they work, but to know your opponent and how they work with their cards.

One of your most tragic flaws is that you rely so heavily on all sorts of special summoning, but now that I’ve disabled it. You and your monsters are no longer any threat to me. Not that you ever were a threat in the first place.”

Sunset felt insulted, but she also knew he had a point. Even with her new cards, her deck hadn’t changed all that much, whereas Gar continued to rotate and alter his decks every time.

She was starting to feel like a mouse that just walked straight into the cat’s trap.

Gar then engaged his battle phase. “Vanity’s Ruler, destroy Starving Venom Fusion Dragon!”

The Ruler complied…

(Atk: 3000) VS (Atk: 2800)

The dragon didn’t have a chance and was vanquished.

Sunset LP: 8000 -----> 7800

While losing life points no longer hurt like before, Sunset was feeling more cornered already, while Gar felt satisfied in beating a Fusion Monster, especially since Starving Venom could not use its ability to destroy the ruler since it was not special summoned.

“I end my turn with two facedown cards.”

Then he thought to himself. “I’m going to pick you apart, bit-by-bit, and maybe then you’ll see how friendship is worthless!”

Sunset clenched her fists, didn’t know if she was more angry, frustrated, or worried about her situation.


“Poor Sunset.” said Cadance. “I’ve never seen her like this, or much anyone for that.”

“How is she supposed to get out of this?” wondered Shining Armor.

“She’ll find a way.” said Rainbow. “She’s been through way tougher situations than this.”

The others wanted to believe and support that, but given the situation, and whom Sunset was facing, it was hard to gauge.

“Come on, Sunset.” thought Twilight. “Don’t give up yet. Your friends are all here, and you have their support.”


The people in the crowds were astounded.

“That’s Masquerade for you.”

“No one gets past him.”

“He really is the world’s greatest gamer.”



The Titans watched everything.

“Man, Gar’s really on a roll here.” said Vic. “It’s no wonder everyone thinks he’s the greatest.”

“Not for much longer.” Raven thought, remembering the computer files down inside, which were still taking time to upload.


Sunset had plenty to worry about now.

“As long as that Vanity’s Ruler is in play, I can’t special summon anything.” she thought. “I have to hurry and find a way to take it out and fast, and I already have just the thing for it.”

“Here I come!” she shouted as she drew her next card.

“I activate Dark Rebellion Xyz Dragon’s special ability. By using both of its overlay units, he’ll cut the attack points of Vanity’s Ruler in half and transfer those attack points to his own.”

The units were used, but just as the mighty dragon powered up to work its power, Gar shouted, “Hold on, I have a trap… MEMORY LOSS!

Sorry, but your dragon’s got a clear case of amnesia. His effect is canceled, and now he’s forced to change to defense-mode.”

“No!!” cried Sunset, but her dragon had already powered down and curled down to the ground.

(Def: 2000)

The Equestrians were outraged.

“I can’t believe this guy!” growled Rainbow. “He always has an answer for everything we try, just like Z-Arc did!”

Applejack wasn’t so sure. “I don’t know, that seemed a little too easy. Sunset should’ve known he’d have a trap to back himself up.”

The others were starting to wonder, but it was Fluttershy who spoke. “Maybe Sunset wanted it to happen?”

These suspicions were confirmed when Sunset smirked and said, “I thought you’d try that, and I was hoping you would.”

“Hmm?”

“I got you to use up your trap on Dark Rebellion so I could get at you with another little trick I have.

I play the spell PENDULUM CALL. Now by sending Timegazer Magician in my hand to the graveyard, I can add two “Magician” Pendulum Monsters from my deck to my hand, and I know just which ones too.

I pick TIMEBREAKER MAGICIAN and OAFDRAGON MAGICIAN!”

Gar gave a small grumble!

“Now I’ll set Scale 2 Oafdragon Magician into the Pendulum Scale!”

The magician took his place, but the pendulum did not appear due to Sunset’s inability to special summon.

“I don’t intend to Pendulum Summon anyway.” Sunset gloated. “I’ll use Oafdragon Magician’s Pendulum Ability, allowing me to add Purple Poison Magician back to my hand, and just in time for me to summon it normally!”

(Atk: 1200)

Gar could already sense Sunset’s plan, and Sunset engaged her battle face.

“Go Purple Poison, attack Vanity’s Ruler!”


“What?!” snapped Rarity.

“But Purple Poison is weaker than Vanity’s Ruler!” added Spike. “What is she thinking?”

Celestia caught onto to Sunset’s plan. “Don’t you see?” she asked as the attack continued.

Vanity’s Ruler, being stronger, was forced to counterattack.

(Atk: 2500) VS (Atk: 1200)

The magician was bashed to bits…

Sunset LP: 7800 -----> 6500

…Leaving its dark cloud behind again, as Celestia pointed out. “Sunset wanted her magician to be destroyed to activate its special ability again.”

Luna gawked in awe. “I see, and by doing so, she is now allowed to destroy one of the opposing cards.”


All the others now felt hope returning, except for Sci-Twi. “Sunset! What were you thinking?!” she wailed in thought.


Sunset, not realizing a thing at all, declared, “I may not be able to destroy the seal, so I’ll do the next best thing and destroy your Ruler!”

The cloud made its way towards the monster ready to ensnare him…

But Gar snickered wickedly, confusing Sunset, and then she gasped as the cloud was magically vanquished without doing anything!

“No way!” cried Sunset. “How come he wasn’t destroyed? Is this another little trick of you seal?”

Gar chuckled and explained, “The Seal had nothing to do with this, you twit…!

If you were any smarter and observant-- which you obviously aren’t-- I tributed two monsters to summon my ruler to the field. One of them was Hardened Armed Dragon!”

Sunset gawked at the monster spirit that appeared above Vanity’s Ruler, and Gar continued to explain. “When Hardened Armed Dragon is tributed to summon a monster that’s at least Level 7 or higher, it protects that monster using its powerful spirit.

Vanity’s Ruler cannot be destroyed by any card effects.”

Now Sunset was shaking is fear and disbelief, much to Gar’s enjoyment.

“That’s right.” taunted Gar. “I’ve managed to make a monster that is virtually indestructible. There’s not much you can do to get rid of him.”


The Equestrians were all horrified for Sunset.

“She can’t mess with that thing with any card effects!” cried Applejack.

“And it’s way too strong for her to beat in battle too.” added Rainbow.

“…There’s got to be something she can do! ANYTHING!!” wailed Pinkie.


Sunset wished there was something she could do as well, but all she did was look down at Timebreaker still in her hand. “With only this left in my hand, I can’t play much else this turn. I guess I have no other choice but to play it safe.”

“I’ll switch Clear Wing into defense mode and call it a turn.”

(Def: 2000)

“I should’ve played Timebreaker instead!” she scolded herself, “But knowing Gar, he would’ve been prepared for that as well. He knows my strategies too well and he uses that to his advantage.”

“Look at you, back into a wall.” Gar scolded. “You’ve got no one to blame for this but your overbearing belief in friendship and faith!”

“Can it!” snarled Sunset. “You can say all the nasty things about friendship you want, but I’ll never back down, and I’ll never stop fighting for it either!”

Twilight felt proud to hear her say such things, but Gar protested, “Oh, we’ll see how well you cling to that.

My draw!”

He looked at the single card he had drawn.

“I activate the spell CARD OF SANCTITY! Now we both must draw until we each hold six cards in hand.

And in case you were wondering… it doesn’t matter to me if you drew cards as well, because what I’m about to play is a strategy that will lock you down completely, and it all starts with this…

I play the spell COST DOWN!

Now by discarding one card in my hand I reduce the level of all monsters in my hand by 2 for the duration of this turn.”

He grabbed a single card, “That means that this 6-Star monster is now a 4-Star monster, meaning I can summon it straightaway without making a tribute.

…Here comes HORUS THE BLACK FLAME DRAGON LEVEL 6!”

(Atk: 2300) -----> (Atk: 2800)

Sunset didn’t need much help analyzing this card. She knew exactly what it could do, and it made her stomach turn.

Gar snickered, and then engaged his battle phase.

“Go my monsters, destroy those pathetic, puny dragons!”

Sunset braced herself, and in a flash scene-- like an artist’s sketch-- Gar’s monsters devastated her dragons while he laughed at her fate leaving her with nothing to defend herself with.

“Sunset!!” cried Shining Armor.

“She’s completely wide open!” added Cadance.


Gar overheard everyone. “And it’s about to get far worse. I’ll place three cards facedown, and now I end my turn, which activates Black Flame’s special ability.

Since it successfully destroyed a monster, I’m able to send it to the graveyard in order to summon a far worse creature in its place!”

The dragon was enveloped in a veil of flames.


The flames were bright enough to force Sunset to cover her eyes, as did the Equestrians, and the camera crew broadcasting the duel.

The crowds gazed in awe; some of the people wondered what was coming now.

“Is it safe to look now?” wailed Kori.

The brightness faded, and she and the other Titans looked at the big screen from afar.

“Look at that!” cried Dick.


A larger, stronger, fiercer dragon had appeared where the other dragon once stood.

Gar declared, “And there it is… HORUS THE BLACK FLAME DRAGON LEVEL 8!”

(Atk: 3000) -----> (Atk: 3500)

The dragon gave a mighty roar which frightened Sunset even more. “No… Not him!”

“I see you know this card,” hissed Gar “And you know that as long as he’s out, I can choose to negate spells when they are played any time I wish.”


The Equestrians were horrified.

“That means, Sunset can’t use her spells now either!” cried Applejack. “But Gar is able to use his own spells any time he chooses.”

“That is just… not fair!” whined Pinkie. “How is she supposed to win if she can’t special summon or use spells?”

“That’s just it-- She won’t!” sneered Gar. “Without the ability to special summon or use any spells, her deck is all but completely locked out.”

As he laughed evilly, Sunset thought quietly and fearfully, “He’s right! I can’t special summon any of my monsters, and now all my spells will be useless!

I hate to admit this but, I think Gar’s won. How can I possibly beat him?”

To Be Continued…

PreviousChapters Next